SBS 2008 and XP

Hello All,

Has anyone successfully being able to setup and manage SBS 2008 Premium and
Win XP Pro? What problems did you encounter? Will you say they successfully
play well together? What caveats are there? Anything else to watch out for?

Thank you.

Hi:

No reason to expect that SBS 2008 and XP Pro will not play nice.  Premium
has nothing to do with it, as the Premium SKU allows for, and furnishes,
a separate copy of Server 2008 and SQL.  The SBS box is identical in either
case.

There are additional benefits to the stations being Vista or Win7, but you
should expect XP Pro, SP3 to be working and supported.  If you have issues,
please let us know what you are seeing.

-
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
issue so others may benefit
-
Get Your SBS Health Check at
www.sbsbpa.com

> Hello All,
>
> Has anyone successfully being able to setup and manage SBS 2008
> Premium and Win XP Pro? What problems did you encounter? Will you say
> they successfully play well together? What caveats are there? Anything
> else to watch out for?
>
> Thank you.

0
Larry

Mouse scroll wheel does not work under Windows XP in CListCtrl
I am using my own List-Controls which are using CListCtrl as base. In this Controls the mouse scroll wheel does not work under Windows XP. Is there any parameter which should be set? Best regards rolf brockmann On Tue, 23 May 2006 02:51:01 -0700, rolfb <rolfb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am using my own List-Controls which are using CListCtrl as base. >In this Controls the mouse scroll wheel does not work under Windows XP. >Is there any parameter which should be set? It ought to just work. If you are using Intellipoint, note that later versions of Intellipoint requir...

SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 migration headache!
Hi folks, Hoping someone can help me :( After spending yesterday prepping the source server- running both SBS 2003 Best Practices Analyzer and Exchange Best Practices Analyzer (and resolving all issues until they both came back clean), full backup, Migration Prep Tool, answer file etc I was finally ready to get going with the destination server today. I was very thorough with the documentation, taking it all step by step. All looked well, until it seemed to hang on what looked to be a final step. I don't recall getting the replication delay pop-up that I've seen m...

OWA setup on SBS 2003
Hi, I can't access OWA on an SBS 2003 server, for any user. Not sure what is stopping it - is it ISA settings? I've checked in Active Directory Users and Domains under the user and they are permitted to use OWA. Also tried to connect using Sever Activesync and a smart phone, but that failed too. Hope you can help. Neil Hi, Could be ISA server stopping OWA from functioning, could also be a lot of other things (like permisions on folders, web site etc). What happens when you try to access OWA? Leif "Neil G Jarman" <neil@tNOiSPAMvPLEASEy.co.uk> wrote in mes...

Tool available to install Exchange SP2 on SBS 2008
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ffd2fe61-9278-489e-9b96-3816394c9cb6&displayLang=en Works great. Note you need to download and extract Exchange SP2 before running the tool. -- Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/ I hope I'm not the only one who read your post? I'll just post now even though I read this the day you posted. Thanks for the much needed info, Kerry Russ :) -- Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP] Microsoft Gold Certified Partner Microsoft Certifi...

new version for 2008-2009
I have Money 2006 and am perfectly happy with it but the stock updates will stop in September of 2008. I guess I have to upgrade. will there be a new version this summer? Only time will tell. I'm wondering if Money Plus wasn't called Money 2008 so they could break the annual cycle and not have the box label spoil the effect. "Don" <don@mytrashmail.com> wrote in message news:B7Sdndbr1ugVurrVnZ2dnUVZ_tXinZ2d@comcast.com... >I have Money 2006 and am perfectly happy with it but the stock updates will >stop in September of 2008. I guess I have to upgrade. will ...

Access in guest acct XP Pro
i need to allow a guest account to use the PC, but deny access to Control Panel, Network Places. Lots of pretty complicated regedits, gpedits, etc. any easy, less scary way? thanx ...

Excel Question
This is probably a silly question, but I can't figure it out. In Office 2000 in Excel when you select two columns and right click it included the option to "Unhide" or "Hide". In Office XP in Excel I can not select two columns it automatically expands the selection to include the Merged Row above it which includes all the columns below - not just the two I selected. When I select just two cells the right click does not include the option to "Unhide" or "Hide". I have to go to the format menu, select column and select "Unhide" or &q...

I am unable to launch microsoft for mac 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Everytime I click on one of my icons to open this microsoft office setup assistant pop's up. Unlike the other users with this question i have tried following there instructions and register but the page wont load. I am a student and i depend on excel for school assignments and have been really annoyed with not being able to get this open. PLEASE help me. On 4/21/09 5:42 PM, "rachel_13@officeformac.com" <rachel_13@officeformac.com> wrote: > Everytime I click on one of my icons to open this micros...

Bugs worked out with XP SP2 and Outlook?
When SP2 just came out, one functionality that existed in Outlook 2003 (while using Word as e-mail editor) didn't work anymore, the icons (in Web Tools toolbar) that allowed embedding of sound, video, and marquee text in e-mail. I wrote about that problem here, and there was a response that that is a known bug, that Microsoft was working on. Has there been a fix for this yet, either through a SP2 update, or an Outlook 2003 update? Are you running Windows XP SP2? I think that is what has broken it (or an update to IE). It's broken in Outlook 2003 too. " MS" <ms@nospa...

Migrating AD Back to SBS
We had a domain which was working in a SBS2003 normally but since we had to change the hardware we added a second DC which is a windows 2008 and transferred all the roles to it, and let it working alone. Everything is fine now with the win2008 as a only Domain Controller We now have to reinstall back the SBS2003 and transfer everything to it from the win2008, is that possible? is there any how-to or best practices? As it seems that all i can do is start a new domain from scratch. Thanks, Chris There is an official MS document for adding SBS 2003 to a Server 2003 domain, but...

Change from SBS 2003 to SBS 2003 R2
Does anyone know if the license from Windows SBS 2003 works on R2 Edition? Here's my situation: I have an old server running Win SBS 2003. This is a new client and i just found the installation to be all screwed up (they are not even using Exchange, the domain is not .local, I cant find the SBS management panel, etc ) and barring any magic solution that allows me to improve on the current install, what i really want is to start from scratch, probably on different hardware (new server). So I whas thinking to my buttons: During reinstallation, can I now use the latest ver...

Outlook XP crashes when using Tasks
Outlook will crash when using Tasks. Here are the things I have tried. Used XP's Restore function to go back to a time when it worked fine. 1. Ran 2 virus scans with two different products. 2. Deinstalled Office XP, ran a defrag, and then reinstalled. 3. It will function propertly for about 2 minutes and then crash. There is an Exchange 2000 server involved as well. He can access his Tasks on another PC with no problem, so I know it is related to his machine. The offending file is an Outllib.dll, at least from the technical notes and log files. Any thoughts? ...

vc MFC 2008 DocView MFCTableCtrl
in vc 2008 environment i create a project which is muti-docview,when i open some file,the file show in the client area ,and also there some table name on the client header,I can get the MFCTableCtrl by GetMdiTab() ,but all i want is that i want to replace the tabctrl with my own defined tabCtrl. how can i do this.thanks very much. forgive for my poor english ... ...

Same account for several XP Users
Hi. I'm just wondering what the best way to set up Outlook 2000 is, so that each of the four members of my family that use the PC can all access the same inbox and email account, despite logging into XP as separate users. Any suggestions/help? Do you have one mail account that is shared by all people? Cn you cut and paste the .pst file you want people to use in the shared folder and have each WIndows profile point to that shared folder? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no...

SBS 2003 VPN Frustration!
Hi all, I hope someone here can help. I saw a similar post that someone here was able to solve so I'm pinning my hopes on that. Let me try and provide as much information as possible. SIMPLIFIED I'm trying to setup the software VPN on the SBS so that remote users can be connected in to the server (so they can use local Outlook Exchange, can access the shared data folders on the main office server, etc). Testing this setup on our own system, I can connect into the server using VPN but cannot access anything on the network. DETAILED 1. I ran the "Configure...

Migrating SBS 2003 to SBS 2008
I really appreciate your inputs regarding my dilemma and made me think to change course with this migration and obtain private IP's for our network instead of the public ones. I will need now to figure out where and how to start changing our IP's! and what is involved. Hope after changing to private IP's, the migration will run without any glitches. I'm keeping me fingers and toes crossed. If you have any suggestion or links on how or where to start to enable me changing IP's from public to private; then PLEASE let me know. Thank you for everything guys...

GP 9.0 on SQL 2008
MBS has said GP 10 is supported on SQL Server 2008. However there is no information on support for GP 9.0 on SQL 2008. Does anyone have any real-world experience running GP 9.0 on SQL 2008 in a production environment? Thanks, John Dynamics GP 9.0 is not supported on Microsoft SQL Server 2008. This is an excerpt from the System Requirements page. Database Requirements: MSDE 2000 SP 4 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition SP 4 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition SP 4 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Workgroup Edition SP 4 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 (64-bit) SP 4 Microsoft SQL Serve...

NT4 SBS to 2003 SBS
There's an old NT4 SBS server in place with Exchange 5.5, 10 users. A new 2003 SBS server has arrived. What's the best way to move everything to the new and shut down the old? I tried to make a trust relationship, but you can't do that with SBS 2003!. Should I use Outlook to log on as a user, copy all data to a .pst from the old Exchange 5.5, then make new users and mailboxes on the new server and copy from the .pst to the new 2003 mailbox? Only 10 users, 700MB in total. Thanks Neal. ...

Media player will not play .wmv in XP Pro
I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3 and have windows media player 11 installed on my system. I am having trouble playing any vidoes with the .wmv file extension. upon trying to play one of these videos I window pops up says that windows media player has encountered a problem and needs to close, then media player shuts down. I've tried rolling back to media player 9 and 10; and tried reinstalling media player 11. I've even tried using Real player to play these files but still get the same result. I've concluded that it is most likely something with the operatin...

Outlook XP does not send/receive email in Windows XP environment
I have recently upgraded the clients from Win 98 SE to Windows XP Prof. Since then, the client could not send/receive emails until they refresh the outlook program. Please help !! Regards, Omar Omar <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have recently upgraded the clients from Win 98 SE to > Windows XP Prof. Since then, the client could not > send/receive emails until they refresh the outlook > program. Please help !! This is a symptom of UDP packets not reaching your PC. See http://support.microsoft.com/?id=815052 -- Brian Tillman Resolved the issue by m...

Excel XP (2002) Workbook Sharing
Some of my users have created an excel file and have it set to share, merging changes when they close the file. The file is located on a windows server 2003 file share. Here's the problem. The owner and creator of the file always can see the latest changes. Everyone else who accesses the file seems to get older versions of the file (previous changes). I have tried deleting their local temp files in their profile directories (documents and settings/user/local settings) but the problem stilll exists. I have also ensured that when the file server is freshly rebooted (ensuring no one has it op...

SBS 2008 + terminal services.
Hi there, A customer of mine is asking for file-server & Exchange services that would be well served by SBS 2008. They currently use VNC quite regularly (to work from home, foreign work- related trips), and the impression I get is that an SBS domain would pretty much involve switching to Remote Web Workplace. I'm not sure if this is essential, but it seems like it would make more sense to have remote desktopping managed by the domain controller, rather than on an ad-hoc basis. I understand why the version of Terminal Services to accommodate end-users isn't ava...

Connecting to MS SQL Server 2008 Express
I am using a demo for RMS 2.0 and installed MS SQL Server 2008 Express. Using the Store Operations Administrator Configuration screen I am getting the following listed below when trying to connect. Any clues as to my problem would be greatly appreciated... Error #-2147217843 Login failed for user 'Mike' (Source: Microsoft OLE DB Providor for SQL Server) (SQL State: 42000) (NativeError: 18456) No Help file avaialbe You are tring to log into an SQL server with the SQL Authentication and the username Mike. This error would indicate the user Mike does not exist, does n...

Lost Win98 emails when upgrade to XP
Hi, I've just upgraded from Win98 (Ver 1) to XP and all my accumulated emails have disappeared. Bizarrely a few emails that were once received under Win98 (ver 2 ) and lost when I previously reverted to version 1 have now reappeared. It appears that XP stores emails in a different place from Win98 (ver 1) but perhaps the same place as version 2. I think the lost emails are still there in C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Express (and \mail) but may have a different extension. How can I recover these? Perhaps I can simply rename them but don't feel confide...

2008 Server Remote Apps
Is anyone using 2008 Server RemoteApps for Great Plains yet? I'm looking for some tips and tricks on getting GP10 working as a remote app on 2008 Server. I have GP loaded and have been testing it out with various users. What is the best way to give each RemoteApp user their own dex.ini? or Is there a way to blank out the "Last User" in the login screen? Also, when you export a smartlist to Excel, it spins up the Excel loaded on the server. Is there a way to re-direct that to the local Excel or at least have the save destination set to the users local drive instead of the ...