SBS 2008 + terminal services.

Hi there,

A customer of mine is asking for file-server & Exchange services that would
be well served by SBS 2008.

They currently use VNC quite regularly (to work from home, foreign work-
related trips), and the impression I get is that an SBS domain would pretty
much involve switching to Remote Web Workplace. I'm not sure if this is
essential, but it seems like it would make more sense to have remote
desktopping managed by the domain controller, rather than on an ad-hoc
basis.

I understand why the version of Terminal Services to accommodate end-users
isn't available on SBS, but I appreciate Terminal Services much better than
Remote Web Workplace (which I've never used). My impression of Remote Web
Workplace is that it's a mickey-mouse version of Terminal Services. Is this
unfair?

I had the impression that there was a version of SBS which came with an
additional license allowing you to install a second copy of Windows Server
on a second machine for the purposes of running Terminal Services. But I
don't see that mentioned here [1], for example. I'm afraid I'm getting
confused by all the information.

Is Terminal Services permitted on a second server in a domain managed by
SBS? What's the score with licensing on this, please? If we were to buy only
the most basic version of SBS in the first instance, would it then be more
expensive to upgrade later?

Thanks for any comments,

Stroller.

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/compare-features.aspx
0
Stroller

SBS 2008 Premium comes with a second server license. You can do
whatever you want on the second server including setting it up as a
terminal server.

RWW lets you access your workstation. Nothing Mickey Mouse about it.
It is the same as terminal services except a workstation is set to
allow only one connection to it, either physically sitting in front of
it or using remote desktop/RWW. A server set to do terminal services
lets many people access it concurrently assuming you have purchased
the terminal services cals. It is the same process/protocol. Note that
they have changed the name of the terminal services cals Remote
Desktop Services cals. You need a RDS cal for every user that works on
the TS. If you want to use Office on the TS you need to by licenses
for every user that is going to use Office. Sometimes it is much
cheaper to let them reach their desktop which does not require cals or
additional copies of Office.

One joy of SBS is you buy a cal for the user and you can add as many
servers to the domain and you do not need to buy additional cals for
the user. Of course they have standard cals and premium cals for
confusion.

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 12:55:17 +0000, Stroller <joe.stroller@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>A customer of mine is asking for file-server & Exchange services that would
>be well served by SBS 2008.
>
>They currently use VNC quite regularly (to work from home, foreign work-
>related trips), and the impression I get is that an SBS domain would pretty
>much involve switching to Remote Web Workplace. I'm not sure if this is
>essential, but it seems like it would make more sense to have remote
>desktopping managed by the domain controller, rather than on an ad-hoc
>basis.
>
>I understand why the version of Terminal Services to accommodate end-users
>isn't available on SBS, but I appreciate Terminal Services much better than
>Remote Web Workplace (which I've never used). My impression of Remote Web
>Workplace is that it's a mickey-mouse version of Terminal Services. Is this
>unfair?
>
>I had the impression that there was a version of SBS which came with an
>additional license allowing you to install a second copy of Windows Server
>on a second machine for the purposes of running Terminal Services. But I
>don't see that mentioned here [1], for example. I'm afraid I'm getting
>confused by all the information.
>
>Is Terminal Services permitted on a second server in a domain managed by
>SBS? What's the score with licensing on this, please? If we were to buy only
>the most basic version of SBS in the first instance, would it then be more
>expensive to upgrade later?
>
>Thanks for any comments,
>
>Stroller.
>

>[1] http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/compare-features.aspx
See what SBS support is working on
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/default.aspx
Check your SBS with the SBS Best Practices Analyzer
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/tags/BPA/default.aspx
0
Jim
1/20/2010 1:22:44 PM
Hi Stroller:

SBS 2008 premium includes a second copy of Windows Server 2008 and a copy
of SQL Server for Small Business (which is SQL server, but the name is specific
to this purpose).  it is a wonderful addition to an SBS domain, but you don't
have to use the Premium version to do TS.  Any Server 2008 will work.

As far as RWW on SBS "micky mouse version", it ain't so.  It is better than
straight RDP in many ways, security being one, the ability to control who
can connect to what boxes inside the domain is another.  RWW is a web app
that modifies access so that the forwarding ports on the edge device do not
limit the access to other boxes on the LAN.

But it gets better.  TS Gateway works a champ.  I suggest you get a copy
of one of the books on SBS, either Charlie Russel, or Eriq Neal's books come
to mind and read them.  SBS is a great product for its market segment.

I can go on, but you should really read the book.

For a place to start, with basic info and part numbers:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/default.mspx

-
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
issue so others may benefit
-
Get Your SBS Health Check at
www.sbsbpa.com

> Hi there,
>
> A customer of mine is asking for file-server & Exchange services that
> would be well served by SBS 2008.
>
> They currently use VNC quite regularly (to work from home, foreign
> work- related trips), and the impression I get is that an SBS domain
> would pretty much involve switching to Remote Web Workplace. I'm not
> sure if this is essential, but it seems like it would make more sense
> to have remote desktopping managed by the domain controller, rather
> than on an ad-hoc basis.
>
> I understand why the version of Terminal Services to accommodate
> end-users isn't available on SBS, but I appreciate Terminal Services
> much better than Remote Web Workplace (which I've never used). My
> impression of Remote Web Workplace is that it's a mickey-mouse version
> of Terminal Services. Is this unfair?
>
> I had the impression that there was a version of SBS which came with
> an additional license allowing you to install a second copy of Windows
> Server on a second machine for the purposes of running Terminal
> Services. But I don't see that mentioned here [1], for example. I'm
> afraid I'm getting confused by all the information.
>
> Is Terminal Services permitted on a second server in a domain managed
> by SBS? What's the score with licensing on this, please? If we were to
> buy only the most basic version of SBS in the first instance, would it
> then be more expensive to upgrade later?
>
> Thanks for any comments,
>
> Stroller.
>
> [1] http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/compare-features.aspx

0
Larry
1/20/2010 1:29:40 PM
Nothing "mickey mouse" about RWW - it's a full featured and very efficient
way to provide remote access to your network and its resources. If the goal
is to provide access to existing resources remotely, then there's really
nothing better and you have the option of securing it even further with
third party addons such as AuthAnvil and RWWGuard from ScorpionSoft to do
two factor authentication. RWW will give your users full access to their
desktops inside your network without additional CALs.

Adding a Terminal Server to SBS 2008 is fairly easy. If you buy SBS Premium,
it comes with a second Windows Server license that you can use to run a
Terminal Server (along with a copy of SQL Server). Or you can simply buy
Windows Server 2008 directly and enable the Terminal Server roles. (Or, if
you're using Server 2008 R2, the RDS roles. ) You can directly integrate
TS/RDS functionality into  both RWW and into the Companyweb SharePoint site
if you want, regardless of the origin of the TS server. However, a caveat --
you need TS CALs for each user (or device if you use device CALs) that
connects to the terminal server. For that CAL, however, you get features you
can't get from a simple remote desktop session to an XP/Vista/Win7
workstation, including TS RemoteApps.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Stroller" <joe.stroller@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> A customer of mine is asking for file-server & Exchange services that
> would
> be well served by SBS 2008.
>
> They currently use VNC quite regularly (to work from home, foreign work-
> related trips), and the impression I get is that an SBS domain would
> pretty
> much involve switching to Remote Web Workplace. I'm not sure if this is
> essential, but it seems like it would make more sense to have remote
> desktopping managed by the domain controller, rather than on an ad-hoc
> basis.
>
> I understand why the version of Terminal Services to accommodate end-users
> isn't available on SBS, but I appreciate Terminal Services much better
> than
> Remote Web Workplace (which I've never used). My impression of Remote Web
> Workplace is that it's a mickey-mouse version of Terminal Services. Is
> this
> unfair?
>
> I had the impression that there was a version of SBS which came with an
> additional license allowing you to install a second copy of Windows Server
> on a second machine for the purposes of running Terminal Services. But I
> don't see that mentioned here [1], for example. I'm afraid I'm getting
> confused by all the information.
>
> Is Terminal Services permitted on a second server in a domain managed by
> SBS? What's the score with licensing on this, please? If we were to buy
> only
> the most basic version of SBS in the first instance, would it then be more
> expensive to upgrade later?
>
> Thanks for any comments,
>
> Stroller.
>

> [1] http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/compare-features.aspx

0
Charlie

Setting up a recurring fee for ASP type services
Our company has a web based service that our customers subscribe to for approx 3 years at a time. Additionally, each of our customers pays a different monthly fee. I'm wondering if anyone knows how to set up a product in CRM 3.0 that has a monthly income and can have a different price per customer. Additionally, is there a way to make this work with sales forcasts etc? ...

SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 migration headache!
Hi folks, Hoping someone can help me :( After spending yesterday prepping the source server- running both SBS 2003 Best Practices Analyzer and Exchange Best Practices Analyzer (and resolving all issues until they both came back clean), full backup, Migration Prep Tool, answer file etc I was finally ready to get going with the destination server today. I was very thorough with the documentation, taking it all step by step. All looked well, until it seemed to hang on what looked to be a final step. I don't recall getting the replication delay pop-up that I've seen m...

OWA setup on SBS 2003
Hi, I can't access OWA on an SBS 2003 server, for any user. Not sure what is stopping it - is it ISA settings? I've checked in Active Directory Users and Domains under the user and they are permitted to use OWA. Also tried to connect using Sever Activesync and a smart phone, but that failed too. Hope you can help. Neil Hi, Could be ISA server stopping OWA from functioning, could also be a lot of other things (like permisions on folders, web site etc). What happens when you try to access OWA? Leif "Neil G Jarman" <neil@tNOiSPAMvPLEASEy.co.uk> wrote in mes...

Detecting program termination
Hello - I'm hoping someone can help me. I am writing a program that calls the executables of other commercial software, specifically InstallShield packages. I need to know when the installation is complete (waiting for a silent install to finish). The problem is, I can easily call 'setup.exe' and wait for that process to finish, but 'setup' quickly shuts down after spawning a couple of other processes. Therefore, my program thinks installation is done, while it is really very much running. I know (at least I think I do) that on win2k and above, I can create job objects an...

Tool available to install Exchange SP2 on SBS 2008
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ffd2fe61-9278-489e-9b96-3816394c9cb6&displayLang=en Works great. Note you need to download and extract Exchange SP2 before running the tool. -- Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/ I hope I'm not the only one who read your post? I'll just post now even though I read this the day you posted. Thanks for the much needed info, Kerry Russ :) -- Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP] Microsoft Gold Certified Partner Microsoft Certifi...

new version for 2008-2009
I have Money 2006 and am perfectly happy with it but the stock updates will stop in September of 2008. I guess I have to upgrade. will there be a new version this summer? Only time will tell. I'm wondering if Money Plus wasn't called Money 2008 so they could break the annual cycle and not have the box label spoil the effect. "Don" <don@mytrashmail.com> wrote in message news:B7Sdndbr1ugVurrVnZ2dnUVZ_tXinZ2d@comcast.com... >I have Money 2006 and am perfectly happy with it but the stock updates will >stop in September of 2008. I guess I have to upgrade. will ...

I am unable to launch microsoft for mac 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Everytime I click on one of my icons to open this microsoft office setup assistant pop's up. Unlike the other users with this question i have tried following there instructions and register but the page wont load. I am a student and i depend on excel for school assignments and have been really annoyed with not being able to get this open. PLEASE help me. On 4/21/09 5:42 PM, "rachel_13@officeformac.com" <rachel_13@officeformac.com> wrote: > Everytime I click on one of my icons to open this micros...

Migrating AD Back to SBS
We had a domain which was working in a SBS2003 normally but since we had to change the hardware we added a second DC which is a windows 2008 and transferred all the roles to it, and let it working alone. Everything is fine now with the win2008 as a only Domain Controller We now have to reinstall back the SBS2003 and transfer everything to it from the win2008, is that possible? is there any how-to or best practices? As it seems that all i can do is start a new domain from scratch. Thanks, Chris There is an official MS document for adding SBS 2003 to a Server 2003 domain, but...

Change from SBS 2003 to SBS 2003 R2
Does anyone know if the license from Windows SBS 2003 works on R2 Edition? Here's my situation: I have an old server running Win SBS 2003. This is a new client and i just found the installation to be all screwed up (they are not even using Exchange, the domain is not .local, I cant find the SBS management panel, etc ) and barring any magic solution that allows me to improve on the current install, what i really want is to start from scratch, probably on different hardware (new server). So I whas thinking to my buttons: During reinstallation, can I now use the latest ver...

Store Operations 2.0 Service Pack 1
I am trying to download the Service Pack 1 for RMS Store Operations 2.0 with existing version 2.0.0105 and I am getting an error message of "The expected version of the product was not found on your system." Any suggestions or solutions? Thank you in advance for your help. are you sure you didn't download POS sp1? "knightsbridge" <knightsbridge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5DBD80D2-D933-4EB5-9CC3-9A76BB1C858F@microsoft.com... >I am trying to download the Service Pack 1 for RMS Store Operations 2.0 >with > existing version 2.0...

vc MFC 2008 DocView MFCTableCtrl
in vc 2008 environment i create a project which is muti-docview,when i open some file,the file show in the client area ,and also there some table name on the client header,I can get the MFCTableCtrl by GetMdiTab() ,but all i want is that i want to replace the tabctrl with my own defined tabCtrl. how can i do this.thanks very much. forgive for my poor english ... ...

Cut and Paste from Dynamics GPV10 (on Terminal Server)
We are running Dynamics GP V10, on terminal server. All of a sudden we can't copy and paste data (like Inventory Item numbers) from within Dynamics to an excel spreadsheet OR screen shots from Dynamics on a terminal server to our local workstation. It might be since V10 upgrade, with V9 we could do this anytime we wanted has anyone else ran into this? -- Doug Doug, I have run in to this as well in GP 10.0, but without running on Terminal Server. I get an Invalid Access error. I can copy from an outside source (like Excel) and paste into a field though. I have also experienced...

SBS 2003 VPN Frustration!
Hi all, I hope someone here can help. I saw a similar post that someone here was able to solve so I'm pinning my hopes on that. Let me try and provide as much information as possible. SIMPLIFIED I'm trying to setup the software VPN on the SBS so that remote users can be connected in to the server (so they can use local Outlook Exchange, can access the shared data folders on the main office server, etc). Testing this setup on our own system, I can connect into the server using VPN but cannot access anything on the network. DETAILED 1. I ran the "Configure...

Which Credit Card Terminal/Company for POS2009?
I am just about to setup an MS Dynamics POS 2009 solution for a customer. Where I am stuck at is the customer wants to use an independent hardware solution for capturing Credit/Debit payments using a terminal which picks the total amount from POS2009. I have searched high and low and cant figure out which one is compatible with POS2009. For example like the ones you find in Vons, Albertsons, Ralphs. Any help is much appreciated. This is in California, US. You should be able to us Ingenico i6550 or i6780 models. Support for these is added via a plug-in included with the softwar...

Migrating SBS 2003 to SBS 2008
I really appreciate your inputs regarding my dilemma and made me think to change course with this migration and obtain private IP's for our network instead of the public ones. I will need now to figure out where and how to start changing our IP's! and what is involved. Hope after changing to private IP's, the migration will run without any glitches. I'm keeping me fingers and toes crossed. If you have any suggestion or links on how or where to start to enable me changing IP's from public to private; then PLEASE let me know. Thank you for everything guys...

NT4 SBS to 2003 SBS
There's an old NT4 SBS server in place with Exchange 5.5, 10 users. A new 2003 SBS server has arrived. What's the best way to move everything to the new and shut down the old? I tried to make a trust relationship, but you can't do that with SBS 2003!. Should I use Outlook to log on as a user, copy all data to a .pst from the old Exchange 5.5, then make new users and mailboxes on the new server and copy from the .pst to the new 2003 mailbox? Only 10 users, 700MB in total. Thanks Neal. ...

GP 9.0 on SQL 2008
MBS has said GP 10 is supported on SQL Server 2008. However there is no information on support for GP 9.0 on SQL 2008. Does anyone have any real-world experience running GP 9.0 on SQL 2008 in a production environment? Thanks, John Dynamics GP 9.0 is not supported on Microsoft SQL Server 2008. This is an excerpt from the System Requirements page. Database Requirements: MSDE 2000 SP 4 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition SP 4 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition SP 4 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Workgroup Edition SP 4 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 (64-bit) SP 4 Microsoft SQL Serve...

Great Plains Web Service Error
I am using the Dynamics GP Web services and receive the following error when calling GetSalesOrderByKey(salesDocumentKey, context), String was not recognized as a valid DateTime. Is anyone able to steer me in the right direction? The sales orders are created in GP. 1) Exception Information ********************************************* Exception Type: System.InvalidOperationException Message: There is an error in XML document (1, 2572). TargetSite: System.Object Deserialize(System.Xml.XmlReader, System.String, System.Xml.Serialization.XmlDeserializationEvents) HelpLink: NULL Source: System.Xm...

SBS 2008 + terminal services.
Hi there, A customer of mine is asking for file-server & Exchange services that would be well served by SBS 2008. They currently use VNC quite regularly (to work from home, foreign work- related trips), and the impression I get is that an SBS domain would pretty much involve switching to Remote Web Workplace. I'm not sure if this is essential, but it seems like it would make more sense to have remote desktopping managed by the domain controller, rather than on an ad-hoc basis. I understand why the version of Terminal Services to accommodate end-users isn't ava...

Connecting to MS SQL Server 2008 Express
I am using a demo for RMS 2.0 and installed MS SQL Server 2008 Express. Using the Store Operations Administrator Configuration screen I am getting the following listed below when trying to connect. Any clues as to my problem would be greatly appreciated... Error #-2147217843 Login failed for user 'Mike' (Source: Microsoft OLE DB Providor for SQL Server) (SQL State: 42000) (NativeError: 18456) No Help file avaialbe You are tring to log into an SQL server with the SQL Authentication and the username Mike. This error would indicate the user Mike does not exist, does n...

Service Account woes, DS_E_INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS_RIGHTS
I have been trying to recover my company's mail from the backup of the exchsrvr directory, it's all I have to work with. I have everything in place, but the information store and several other services won't start, as far as I can tell, because of permissions. There is no service account on this server, and I don't think there was one on the old machine. I did have an exported users.txt that I was able to use to import the user list from the old server. I am logged in as admin and cannot start the Exchange server to get to this mail. I have reconstructed the server on an...

2008 Server Remote Apps
Is anyone using 2008 Server RemoteApps for Great Plains yet? I'm looking for some tips and tricks on getting GP10 working as a remote app on 2008 Server. I have GP loaded and have been testing it out with various users. What is the best way to give each RemoteApp user their own dex.ini? or Is there a way to blank out the "Last User" in the login screen? Also, when you export a smartlist to Excel, it spins up the Excel loaded on the server. Is there a way to re-direct that to the local Excel or at least have the save destination set to the users local drive instead of the ...

SQL 2008 and SRS
I am using SQL 2005 with CRM 4.0 on one box and have to move CRM and SQL to seperate boxes. The SQL box will have SQL 2008 Standard. The consultant who will be doing the SQL work reminded me to install SRS. Is SRS included with SQL 2008 Standard? Thanks, John SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) is part of 2008 Standard Edition. RLF "John" <bsmith@aol.com> wrote in message news:%23DpI1bfcKHA.808@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I am using SQL 2005 with CRM 4.0 on one box and have to move CRM and SQL to >seperate boxes. The SQL box will have SQL 2...

Service Calendar Error #2
All, Everything is working fine in CRM except Service Calendar get an error: "Server was unable to process request." So, anybody knows what's going on? and let me know and I'd appreciate it. Thanks Never mind. I got it. "Toi Day" wrote: > All, > Everything is working fine in CRM except Service Calendar get an error: > "Server was unable to process request." > So, anybody knows what's going on? and let me know and I'd appreciate it. > > Thanks It would by nice if you share youre solution with us. Thanks "Toi Day"...

Remove SBS
(Im reposting this since I got no response in the setup-config group, im hoping for better luck in this group) I have a client with SBS 2003 but isn’t utilizing any SBS functions (don’t ask me why they have SBS… it wasn’t me). Now they have an app that (based on the vender) cant run on an SBS server. How do go about doing this? I don’t care about ripping out SBS but I need to preserve AD. What would happen if I… 1)Uninstall SBS? a)Would it remove AD (as the sbs is the only domain) or is AD not a SBS role? b)Would it become a regular Windows 2003 std server machine? 2)Do an...