SBS 2003 R2 and Slipstream Media

I'm currently working through a Swing Migration to replace and older Dell
server.  The new server is a Dell PE T310 with a SAS SCSI controller for my
RAID.  My media is SBS 2003 Premium R2 and this new server appears to have
issues related to Windows 2003 Server w/sp1.  When I use my SBS media and
use F6 to apply the SAS controller drivers during Windows setup, I
consistently get blue stop errors.  I'm using the latest drivers from Dell.
This is a brand new product from Dell.  When I spoke with Dell support
today, they advised me that I must use Windows 2003 w/sp2 media to get past
the error.  They stated that Windows 2003 w/sp1 does not support SAS
controllers.  I can easily slipstream sp2 into to the 1st SBS setup disk to
complete the Windows portion, but my concern is that I'll have SBS related
setup issues once I start the SBS install portion.

Does anyone have any input on this method or suggestions?

Thanks.

Ken

0
Ken

Since SBS is such a tightly integrated product it is usually recommended
that you don't try to slipstream service packs yourself. Of course it might
work just fine in your case so I suppose there is no harm in trying it.

"Ken Sheppard" <ksheppard31@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm currently working through a Swing Migration to replace and older Dell
> server.  The new server is a Dell PE T310 with a SAS SCSI controller for
> my RAID.  My media is SBS 2003 Premium R2 and this new server appears to
> have issues related to Windows 2003 Server w/sp1.  When I use my SBS media
> and use F6 to apply the SAS controller drivers during Windows setup, I
> consistently get blue stop errors.  I'm using the latest drivers from
> Dell. This is a brand new product from Dell.  When I spoke with Dell
> support today, they advised me that I must use Windows 2003 w/sp2 media to
> get past the error.  They stated that Windows 2003 w/sp1 does not support
> SAS controllers.  I can easily slipstream sp2 into to the 1st SBS setup
> disk to complete the Windows portion, but my concern is that I'll have SBS
> related setup issues once I start the SBS install portion.
>
> Does anyone have any input on this method or suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ken

0
SteveB
12/30/2009 11:44:43 PM
I recall this being kicked around a bit and I believe the answer was that
attempting a slipstream is not a good idea and is unsupported.

IIRC, the Dell PE T300 had a problem with Win2003 SP1.  I wonder if it
carried over to the T310 model?  Seemsed to be a problem with the
Demand-Based Power Management setting in the BIOS.  The following was the
workaround posted by Dell...

Perform the following steps to install the most current release of Windows
2003
Service Pack (SP2) on your system:
1   Temporarily disable the Demand-Based Power Management setting.
A   Power on the system.
B   Press <F2> during startup to enter the System Setup program.
C   From the Main screen, select CPU Information and press <Enter>
to open the CPU Information screen.
D   Select Demand-Based Power Management and press the right-arrow key
to change the setting to Disabled.
E   Press <Esc>, save your changes, and exit the System Setup program
screen.

2   Install the Windows 2003 operating system and then install the Service
Pack.

3   Enable the Demand-Based Power Management setting.
A   Restart the system.
B   Press <F2> during startup to enter the System Setup program.
C   From the Main screen, select CPU Information and press <Enter>
to open the CPU Information screen.
D   Select Demand-Based Power Management and press the right arrow key
to change the setting to Enabled.
E   Press <Esc>, save your changes, and exit the System Setup program
screen.

Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
============================

"Ken Sheppard" <ksheppard31@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm currently working through a Swing Migration to replace and older Dell
> server.  The new server is a Dell PE T310 with a SAS SCSI controller for
> my RAID.  My media is SBS 2003 Premium R2 and this new server appears to
> have issues related to Windows 2003 Server w/sp1.  When I use my SBS media
> and use F6 to apply the SAS controller drivers during Windows setup, I
> consistently get blue stop errors.  I'm using the latest drivers from
> Dell. This is a brand new product from Dell.  When I spoke with Dell
> support today, they advised me that I must use Windows 2003 w/sp2 media to
> get past the error.  They stated that Windows 2003 w/sp1 does not support
> SAS controllers.  I can easily slipstream sp2 into to the 1st SBS setup
> disk to complete the Windows portion, but my concern is that I'll have SBS
> related setup issues once I start the SBS install portion.
>
> Does anyone have any input on this method or suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ken

0
Merv
12/31/2009 1:39:54 AM
not a good idea, unsupported, and doesn't work.

and it's also a waste of time. Install SBS from distribution media. Complete
your install and then let SBS update itself.

"Merv Porter" <mwport@no_spam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I recall this being kicked around a bit and I believe the answer was that
>attempting a slipstream is not a good idea and is unsupported.
>
> IIRC, the Dell PE T300 had a problem with Win2003 SP1.  I wonder if it
> carried over to the T310 model?  Seemsed to be a problem with the
> Demand-Based Power Management setting in the BIOS.  The following was the
> workaround posted by Dell...

> Perform the following steps to install the most current release of Windows
> 2003
> Service Pack (SP2) on your system:
> 1   Temporarily disable the Demand-Based Power Management setting.
> A   Power on the system.
> B   Press <F2> during startup to enter the System Setup program.
> C   From the Main screen, select CPU Information and press <Enter>
> to open the CPU Information screen.
> D   Select Demand-Based Power Management and press the right-arrow key
> to change the setting to Disabled.
> E   Press <Esc>, save your changes, and exit the System Setup program
> screen.
>
> 2   Install the Windows 2003 operating system and then install the Service
> Pack.
>
> 3   Enable the Demand-Based Power Management setting.
> A   Restart the system.
> B   Press <F2> during startup to enter the System Setup program.
> C   From the Main screen, select CPU Information and press <Enter>
> to open the CPU Information screen.
> D   Select Demand-Based Power Management and press the right arrow key
> to change the setting to Enabled.
> E   Press <Esc>, save your changes, and exit the System Setup program
> screen.

> Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
> ============================
>
> "Ken Sheppard" <ksheppard31@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm currently working through a Swing Migration to replace and older Dell
>> server.  The new server is a Dell PE T310 with a SAS SCSI controller for
>> my RAID.  My media is SBS 2003 Premium R2 and this new server appears to
>> have issues related to Windows 2003 Server w/sp1.  When I use my SBS
>> media and use F6 to apply the SAS controller drivers during Windows
>> setup, I consistently get blue stop errors.  I'm using the latest drivers
>> from Dell. This is a brand new product from Dell.  When I spoke with Dell
>> support today, they advised me that I must use Windows 2003 w/sp2 media
>> to get past the error.  They stated that Windows 2003 w/sp1 does not
>> support SAS controllers.  I can easily slipstream sp2 into to the 1st SBS
>> setup disk to complete the Windows portion, but my concern is that I'll
>> have SBS related setup issues once I start the SBS install portion.
>>
>> Does anyone have any input on this method or suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Ken

0
SuperGumby

Archiving the Outlook 2003 Calendar
My archive utility seems to be only working sporadically. When I attempt to archive my calendar, sometimes it works and I get a .pst file that is 2,000 kb (+). At other times it creates a .pst file that is only 265 kb in size and contains on data. Is there anything I can do to alleviate this? I'm asking that it archive items older than the current date (but I've also tried archiving items older than yesterday and had similar results). Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't. Any suggestions will be appreciated. ...

Publisher 2003 Catologue Merge
http://home.a03.itscom.net/tsuzu/programing/en/ Here is a real winner that popped up today on www.nonags.com This is the perfect tool for the Publisher 2003 Catalogue Merge. This program will automatically list all the picture files in a folder to use with a Publisher 2003 Catalogue Merge. Does exactly what you want, has all the options you need, including sort, file extension you want etc. etc. Just a magic little program with all the needs and requirements. It will be so easy for users just to copy the path information to their database/CSV file whatever - simple I think if I sat down a...

dissapearing spreadsheet- excel 2003
Something awful has happened. I just finished a massive spreadsheet down to the last detail. Everything balanced out, it was perfect. I was ready to print the final draft. I wanted to take out the grid lines and the a-z and 123.. borders so I was looking at various commands on the tool bar. I got to the "insert' heading and clicked on "worksheet" to see what it was. Everything is now gone....... I am sick. Please tell me how to get the spreadsheet back. I have tried to open the one I want from the saved files but nothing but a blank worksheet comes up. While looking thru t...

SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 migration headache!
Hi folks, Hoping someone can help me :( After spending yesterday prepping the source server- running both SBS 2003 Best Practices Analyzer and Exchange Best Practices Analyzer (and resolving all issues until they both came back clean), full backup, Migration Prep Tool, answer file etc I was finally ready to get going with the destination server today. I was very thorough with the documentation, taking it all step by step. All looked well, until it seemed to hang on what looked to be a final step. I don't recall getting the replication delay pop-up that I've seen m...

Outlook 2003 hangs when downloading POP3 messages

Exchange 2003 OWA #3
I am having a problem receiving certin attachments using Outlook web access 2003 ( owa ) I Can receive .zip , .pdf , and even .rar files with no problems... how ever when i receive an Microsoft Access file ( .mdb ) it says " Access to the following potentially unsafe attachments has been blocked: Filename.mdb" This is also happening when I try to receive a .xml file. I have been searching all over for info on this and can't find any... any help here would be greatly appreciated... Our server setup just incase you need it is... Win 2k server running exchange ...

OWA setup on SBS 2003
Hi, I can't access OWA on an SBS 2003 server, for any user. Not sure what is stopping it - is it ISA settings? I've checked in Active Directory Users and Domains under the user and they are permitted to use OWA. Also tried to connect using Sever Activesync and a smart phone, but that failed too. Hope you can help. Neil Hi, Could be ISA server stopping OWA from functioning, could also be a lot of other things (like permisions on folders, web site etc). What happens when you try to access OWA? Leif "Neil G Jarman" <neil@tNOiSPAMvPLEASEy.co.uk> wrote in mes...

Excel 2003 Slow
Have any other users of Excel 2003 found it really slow when entering data into cells. I know 2 others users who have the same problem and we are being slowly driven mad with frustration. Is there some option we can deselect somewhere that will speed things up? No comments have come in about this, so I don't know how many others have the same problem I wrote about below a few days ago. However I have found a way round it - to uninstall Excel 2003 and install Excel XP instead. Now I can enter data in cells at my usual speed. I'd still really like to know what causes the slowness ...

Media Player 12
Can anyone explain to a me were media player has disappeared to when I did a clean install of windows 7 premium? It seems to have disappeared and a search using the start button just show Windows Media Centre. Thanks in advance. PS I've been running windows 7 with no problems since it came out and because I use iTunes I've not missed it until now. You can check if WMP is installed, and install it if needed, through Control Panel - Programs and Features - Turn windows features on or off - Media Features. If you can't find it in that list, then you probably have...

NT Backup with Exchange 2003
I am not sure whether or not my backup is actually performing. I have selected the Exchange Server to be backup up to a file, but when I go to restore, and I catalog the file and look at the Mailbox Store it reads 'no entries found'. Is this normal? This is with Server 2000 Standard and Exchange 2003 Here is what is in the log: Backup Status Operation: Backup Active backup destination: File Media name: "Media created 7/27/2004 at 1:05 AM" Backup of "CRAZYJUMPER\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group" Backup set #1 on media #1 Backup descriptio...

Outlook and Office 2003
Outlook hangs when trying to attach files via the paperclip icon and excel and word hang when moving up through the directory structure while I am trying to "open" or "save as". Has anyone come across these problems and are there any fixes/work arounds? I really don't want to reinstall 2000! Thanks Ian Is this from local or network drives? If network drives, pure Microsoft world or are you living in a mixed world of Novell, Unix, .etc and Microsoft? FWIW, I've seen Microsoft Office applications hang in the file open/save dialog and living in a Novell/Mic...

Unable to add an e-mail address to an existing contact in Outlook 2003
When I try to add an address to one of my contacts it dissapears as soon as I enter it and tab to the next field. I've tried "enter" too. I've tried detect and repair, I've looked in newsgroups for a similar problem, but I'm not seeing it. Any help out there for this problem? Thanks, Eric Where are you trying to add it in the contact record? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: Eric Feinstein <erc1@nospamhotmail.com> asked: | When I try to a...

Tool available to install Exchange SP2 on SBS 2008
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ffd2fe61-9278-489e-9b96-3816394c9cb6&displayLang=en Works great. Note you need to download and extract Exchange SP2 before running the tool. -- Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/ I hope I'm not the only one who read your post? I'll just post now even though I read this the day you posted. Thanks for the much needed info, Kerry Russ :) -- Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP] Microsoft Gold Certified Partner Microsoft Certifi...

Ms Outlook 2003 #5
Hi. I have Vista Home Edition. I am trying to set up my mail accounts with Microsoft Outlook 2003 in Vista. When I put all the details and I test the setting it asks me to verify the E mail address. I know its correct as it works ok in Windows mail Is Outlook 2003 able to work in Vista or do I have a setting wrong??? Outlook 2003 works fine in Windows Vista. Did you check your email = address as suggested? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =...

Tidying up 5.5 pre 2003?
OK I'm going to spend some time tomorrow tidying up our 5.5 directory ready for when I start migrating us to 2003. So far I'm planning on: Getting rid of all old/unnecessary mailboxes (duh!) Setting all resource mailboxes to no Primary NT account, users have access via the permissions tab (assuming ADC will create disabled domain account). Setting ex-employee mailboxes so that their already disabled domain account is the primary account, again their manager has access via the permissions tab. Is there anything obvious that I'm missing? TIA, Paul -- paul@spamcop.net Pau...

Migrating AD Back to SBS
We had a domain which was working in a SBS2003 normally but since we had to change the hardware we added a second DC which is a windows 2008 and transferred all the roles to it, and let it working alone. Everything is fine now with the win2008 as a only Domain Controller We now have to reinstall back the SBS2003 and transfer everything to it from the win2008, is that possible? is there any how-to or best practices? As it seems that all i can do is start a new domain from scratch. Thanks, Chris There is an official MS document for adding SBS 2003 to a Server 2003 domain, but...

MSN messenger and Exchange 2003
Hi, Is it possible to use MSN messenger connect to Exchange 2003, so that staffs can talk to each other witin the Exchange 2003 environment ? If it's possible, how exactly can that be done ? I am trying to find some step by step doco but with no luck so far... Is this setup recommended or it's something that better to avoid ? TIA Steven You can do it with Exchange 2000, but microsoft have shifted it to Live communication server fro 2003. Its like an internal msn. "Steven Wong" <sazabi75@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eSL4s6uJGHA.2300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

Office pro 2003
Office pro 2003 - Works 2004, Publisher 2003, Plus! Digital Media Ed OFFICE SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL V2003 (c) MICROSOFT [5 CDs] CD1=OFFICE 11 CD2=FRONTPAGE 2003 CD3=VISIO 2003 PRO CD4=PROJECT 2003 PRO CD5=ONENOTE 2003 SN: OFFICE11: GWH28-DGCMP-P6RC4-6J4MT-3HFDY SN: for REST: WFDWY-XQXJF-RHRYG-BG7RQ-BBDHM Microsoft Office Publisher 2003 Microsoft Works Suite 2004 [5 cdS] SN:QTXM8-56C9R-XQPRT-CTJJ8-PPGGD Plus! Digital Media Edition (c) Microsoft 12 337 we will help You to find any software which need Yo...

Outlook 2003 won't shutdown
On one users computer I can't get Outlook 2003 to shutdown completely. After closing the app the icon stays in the taskbar and won't go away. When you try and right click on the icon you get nothing and when you double left click it pops up a baloon that reads... Outlook is not rsponding. If your are using and Exchange server e-mail account, you can cancel pending server requests by clicking the Outlook icon in the notifications area, and then clicking Cancel Server Request on the shortcut menu. After this the only way to close it is to go into Task Manager and end task out the OUTLO...

Launching specific spreadsheet from Desktop in Excel 2003
Excel 2003 SP3 WinXP Pro SP2 How do I launch a specific spreadsheet using Excel 2003 from the Desktop? Obviously, I can launch Excel but I can't determine the syntax for a specific spreadsheet. I've tried "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office ...\Excel.exe" 'C:\MyExcel\Documents\LaunchIt.xls' and a variety of iterations. Any direction or guidance appreciated. Eventually, I'd like to set my "Most Frequently Used" documents as icons on the Desktop. TIA, Tom Tom With Excel open, go to File>Open and right-click on the file you need a shortcut to. Se...

Outlook 2003 hangs
I have installed Office 2003 with Outlook. Outlook hangs almoxt all th time and the only way I can get it to work is to reinstall it. I am running Win 2K pro, P$, 1.6 GHz, 512MB RAM. All W2K updates ar current. Can someone clue me in on how to make this run on W2K or do have to go to XP, which I don't want to. Thanks, Dav ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Let me add personal bullets in Publisher 2003
I would like to add a personal bullet into my document in Publisher 2003 like I can in Word 2003 ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=92bb8625-046e-41bd-83b2-cc047f45762d&dg=microsoft.publi...

Exchange 2003 OWA corrupt?
We have recently installed a new Exchange 2003 server onto Windows 2003 server. OWA worked out of the box during are initial testing but since the day we added about 40 users using Outlook the web site has never worked again. All that is returned is a page of missing links and icons. Has anyone else seen this strange behaviour? To my knowledge nothing has been altered on the Exchange machines since our testing & reboots have no effect. ...

Profile migration problems (outlook 2003)
Hello, I have a computer that arrived from a different domain to ours. I had to migrate a user profile from that domain. Since he only wanted his Outlook (2003) data, I just copied the PST file to the new user's directory. Unfortunately, when I imported the PST file, there were no Contacts, Calendar and Tasks. Mail, along with all the folders he created were transfered perfectly. I can't logon the old user, because the computer no longer belongs to the old domain. (If I could logon I'd export them to a csv file or something....) My question is: Where are the Contacts etc......

I have just installed Office 2003. I cannot download attachments
rollo <rollo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: No need to post more than once. -- Brian Tillman ...