Reverse PTR record for client moving to new ISP

Hi,

I just picked up a client who moved his SBS 2003 (using SMTP for mail) 
network from his home to a office. At his house he had Brighthouse networks 
with a static IP. Due to the move he changed ISPs to CenturyLink with a 
static IP.

I found his DNS was hosted by GoDaddy and changed the MX and "A" records to 
reflect the new static IP.

Looking at GoDaddy DNS manager his domain is alalpert.com. I also found out 
another domain is involved - smartofficesolutions.com

Mail forwarding is setup from smartofficesolutions.com (Site is hosted by 
another company in another state) to alalpert.com.

My question is would I setup a Reverse PTR record for with the new ISP for 
alalpert.com only? 

0
Frank
4/15/2010 8:48:05 PM
windows.server.sbs 1975 articles. 0 followers. Follow

12 Replies
1298 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 16

"Frank" <ffarero@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message =
news:4bc77b82$0$4888$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com...
> Hi,
>=20
> I just picked up a client who moved his SBS 2003 (using SMTP for mail) =

> network from his home to a office. At his house he had Brighthouse =
networks=20
> with a static IP. Due to the move he changed ISPs to CenturyLink with =
a=20
> static IP.
>=20
> I found his DNS was hosted by GoDaddy and changed the MX and "A" =
records to=20
> reflect the new static IP.
>=20
> Looking at GoDaddy DNS manager his domain is alalpert.com. I also =
found out=20
> another domain is involved - smartofficesolutions.com
>=20
> Mail forwarding is setup from smartofficesolutions.com (Site is hosted =
by=20
> another company in another state) to alalpert.com.
>=20
> My question is would I setup a Reverse PTR record for with the new ISP =
for=20
> alalpert.com only?=20
>

You have to call the ISP provider your actual internet line is being =
hosted by, because THEY own the IP address.=20

--=20
Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and =
confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit =
among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your =
resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & =
MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, =
please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check =
http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
0
Ace
4/15/2010 8:58:25 PM
Thanks for the shove in the right direction Ace,

Unfortunately CenturyLink.net does provide that service.

"Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]" <aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote in message 
news:e9Tol5N3KHA.4332@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>
> "Frank" <ffarero@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message 
> news:4bc77b82$0$4888$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just picked up a client who moved his SBS 2003 (using SMTP for mail)
>> network from his home to a office. At his house he had Brighthouse 
>> networks
>> with a static IP. Due to the move he changed ISPs to CenturyLink with a
>> static IP.
>>
>> I found his DNS was hosted by GoDaddy and changed the MX and "A" records 
>> to
>> reflect the new static IP.
>>
>> Looking at GoDaddy DNS manager his domain is alalpert.com. I also found 
>> out
>> another domain is involved - smartofficesolutions.com
>>
>> Mail forwarding is setup from smartofficesolutions.com (Site is hosted by
>> another company in another state) to alalpert.com.
>>
>> My question is would I setup a Reverse PTR record for with the new ISP 
>> for
>> alalpert.com only?
>>
>
> You have to call the ISP provider your actual internet line is being 
> hosted by, because THEY own the IP address.
>
> -- 
> Ace
>
> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and 
> confers no rights.
>
> Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit 
> among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your 
> resolution.
>
> Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & 
> MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
> Microsoft Certified Trainer
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>
> If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, 
> please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check 
> http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers. 

0
Frank
4/15/2010 9:58:49 PM
I think your client chose the wrong ISP if CenturyLink.net will not provide 
the proper PTR.

"Frank" <ffarero@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message 
news:4bc78c16$0$4893$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com...
> Thanks for the shove in the right direction Ace,
>
> Unfortunately CenturyLink.net does provide that service.
>
> "Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]" <aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote in 
> message news:e9Tol5N3KHA.4332@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "Frank" <ffarero@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message 
>> news:4bc77b82$0$4888$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just picked up a client who moved his SBS 2003 (using SMTP for mail)
>>> network from his home to a office. At his house he had Brighthouse 
>>> networks
>>> with a static IP. Due to the move he changed ISPs to CenturyLink with a
>>> static IP.
>>>
>>> I found his DNS was hosted by GoDaddy and changed the MX and "A" records 
>>> to
>>> reflect the new static IP.
>>>
>>> Looking at GoDaddy DNS manager his domain is alalpert.com. I also found 
>>> out
>>> another domain is involved - smartofficesolutions.com
>>>
>>> Mail forwarding is setup from smartofficesolutions.com (Site is hosted 
>>> by
>>> another company in another state) to alalpert.com.
>>>
>>> My question is would I setup a Reverse PTR record for with the new ISP 
>>> for
>>> alalpert.com only?
>>>
>>
>> You have to call the ISP provider your actual internet line is being 
>> hosted by, because THEY own the IP address.
>>
>> -- 
>> Ace
>>
>> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and 
>> confers no rights.
>>
>> Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit 
>> among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your 
>> resolution.
>>
>> Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & 
>> MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
>> Microsoft Certified Trainer
>> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>>
>> If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, 
>> please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check 
>> http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
> 


0
SteveB
4/15/2010 11:46:09 PM
        Two possibilities:

1) A whois of the IP address shows that it is owned by Embarq Corporation.

 OrgTechPhone:  +1-407-741-0500
 OrgTechEmail:  ipsupport@embarqservices.net

    Perhaps CenturyLink is a reseller of Embarq and Embarq may be willing to 
setup reverse DNS as you like it, even if CenturyLink will not (boo, hiss).

2) If you can't raise the bridge, lower the river. The current reverse DNS 
for the IP address in question resolves to 
fl-67-76-130-96.sta.embarqhsd.net. You can simply tell Exchange to report 
that as its name when it sends a HELO command. That may alleviate some 
problems with spam filters. It isn't ideal, but it may help.

"Frank" <ffarero@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message 
news:4bc78c16$0$4893$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com...
> Thanks for the shove in the right direction Ace,
>
> Unfortunately CenturyLink.net does provide that service.
>
> "Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]" <aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote in 
> message news:e9Tol5N3KHA.4332@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "Frank" <ffarero@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message 
>> news:4bc77b82$0$4888$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just picked up a client who moved his SBS 2003 (using SMTP for mail)
>>> network from his home to a office. At his house he had Brighthouse 
>>> networks
>>> with a static IP. Due to the move he changed ISPs to CenturyLink with a
>>> static IP.
>>>
>>> I found his DNS was hosted by GoDaddy and changed the MX and "A" records 
>>> to
>>> reflect the new static IP.
>>>
>>> Looking at GoDaddy DNS manager his domain is alalpert.com. I also found 
>>> out
>>> another domain is involved - smartofficesolutions.com
>>>
>>> Mail forwarding is setup from smartofficesolutions.com (Site is hosted 
>>> by
>>> another company in another state) to alalpert.com.
>>>
>>> My question is would I setup a Reverse PTR record for with the new ISP 
>>> for
>>> alalpert.com only?
>>>
>>
>> You have to call the ISP provider your actual internet line is being 
>> hosted by, because THEY own the IP address.
>>
>> -- 
>> Ace
>>
>> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and 
>> confers no rights.
>>
>> Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit 
>> among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your 
>> resolution.
>>
>> Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & 
>> MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
>> Microsoft Certified Trainer
>> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>>
>> If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, 
>> please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check 
>> http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
> 


0
Andrew
4/16/2010 1:40:14 AM
"Andrew M. Saucci, Jr." <spam-only@2000computer.local> wrote in message =
news:OLsY7WQ3KHA.4540@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>        Two possibilities:
>=20
> 1) A whois of the IP address shows that it is owned by Embarq =
Corporation.
>=20
> OrgTechPhone:  +1-407-741-0500
> OrgTechEmail:  ipsupport@embarqservices.net
>=20
>    Perhaps CenturyLink is a reseller of Embarq and Embarq may be =
willing to=20
> setup reverse DNS as you like it, even if CenturyLink will not (boo, =
hiss).
>=20
> 2) If you can't raise the bridge, lower the river. The current reverse =
DNS=20
> for the IP address in question resolves to=20
> fl-67-76-130-96.sta.embarqhsd.net. You can simply tell Exchange to =
report=20
> that as its name when it sends a HELO command. That may alleviate some =

> problems with spam filters. It isn't ideal, but it may help.
>=20

Unfortunate, as you said, it only alleviates any receiving MTA using a =
filter that doesn't check for PTR, or if it does, and finds that it's a =
DHCP pool (whether or not it is because some statics are actually =
reserved DHCP pools within the ISP), it may still flag it as =
residential.

Ace
0
Ace
4/16/2010 4:05:54 AM
I talked to the Centurylink guys again last night. They took over from 
Embarq. The last tech I talked to did not even know what a reverse PTR 
record was! His answer was to get a email address from them and use that. 
Yea right! And yes they handed out a address pool of IP's. Thanks to all for 
your inputs and advice.

"SteveB" <newsgroup@public.lan> wrote in message 
news:eq3TUXP3KHA.348@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> I think your client chose the wrong ISP if CenturyLink.net will not 
> provide the proper PTR.
>
> "Frank" <ffarero@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message 
> news:4bc78c16$0$4893$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com...
>> Thanks for the shove in the right direction Ace,
>>
>> Unfortunately CenturyLink.net does provide that service.
>>
>> "Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]" <aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote in 
>> message news:e9Tol5N3KHA.4332@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>
>>> "Frank" <ffarero@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message 
>>> news:4bc77b82$0$4888$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com...
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> I just picked up a client who moved his SBS 2003 (using SMTP for mail)
>>>> network from his home to a office. At his house he had Brighthouse 
>>>> networks
>>>> with a static IP. Due to the move he changed ISPs to CenturyLink with a
>>>> static IP.
>>>>
>>>> I found his DNS was hosted by GoDaddy and changed the MX and "A" 
>>>> records to
>>>> reflect the new static IP.
>>>>
>>>> Looking at GoDaddy DNS manager his domain is alalpert.com. I also found 
>>>> out
>>>> another domain is involved - smartofficesolutions.com
>>>>
>>>> Mail forwarding is setup from smartofficesolutions.com (Site is hosted 
>>>> by
>>>> another company in another state) to alalpert.com.
>>>>
>>>> My question is would I setup a Reverse PTR record for with the new ISP 
>>>> for
>>>> alalpert.com only?
>>>>
>>>
>>> You have to call the ISP provider your actual internet line is being 
>>> hosted by, because THEY own the IP address.
>>>
>>> -- 
>>> Ace
>>>
>>> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and 
>>> confers no rights.
>>>
>>> Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit 
>>> among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your 
>>> resolution.
>>>
>>> Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & 
>>> MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
>>> Microsoft Certified Trainer
>>> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>>>
>>> If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, 
>>> please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check 
>>> http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
>>
>
> 
0
Frank
4/16/2010 8:48:51 AM
I do not think it is called a reverse PTR. Either reverse DNS or PTR.
If he doesn't know then you ask for the next person.

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 04:48:51 -0400, "Frank" <ffarero@cfl.rr.com>
wrote:

>I talked to the Centurylink guys again last night. They took over from 
>Embarq. The last tech I talked to did not even know what a reverse PTR 
>record was! His answer was to get a email address from them and use that. 
>Yea right! And yes they handed out a address pool of IP's. Thanks to all for 
>your inputs and advice.
>
>"SteveB" <newsgroup@public.lan> wrote in message 
>news:eq3TUXP3KHA.348@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> I think your client chose the wrong ISP if CenturyLink.net will not 
>> provide the proper PTR.
>>
>> "Frank" <ffarero@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message 
>> news:4bc78c16$0$4893$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com...
>>> Thanks for the shove in the right direction Ace,
>>>
>>> Unfortunately CenturyLink.net does provide that service.
>>>
>>> "Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]" <aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote in 
>>> message news:e9Tol5N3KHA.4332@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>>
>>>> "Frank" <ffarero@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message 
>>>> news:4bc77b82$0$4888$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com...
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> I just picked up a client who moved his SBS 2003 (using SMTP for mail)
>>>>> network from his home to a office. At his house he had Brighthouse 
>>>>> networks
>>>>> with a static IP. Due to the move he changed ISPs to CenturyLink with a
>>>>> static IP.
>>>>>
>>>>> I found his DNS was hosted by GoDaddy and changed the MX and "A" 
>>>>> records to
>>>>> reflect the new static IP.
>>>>>
>>>>> Looking at GoDaddy DNS manager his domain is alalpert.com. I also found 
>>>>> out
>>>>> another domain is involved - smartofficesolutions.com
>>>>>
>>>>> Mail forwarding is setup from smartofficesolutions.com (Site is hosted 
>>>>> by
>>>>> another company in another state) to alalpert.com.
>>>>>
>>>>> My question is would I setup a Reverse PTR record for with the new ISP 
>>>>> for
>>>>> alalpert.com only?
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> You have to call the ISP provider your actual internet line is being 
>>>> hosted by, because THEY own the IP address.
>>>>
>>>> -- 
>>>> Ace
>>>>
>>>> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and 
>>>> confers no rights.
>>>>
>>>> Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit 
>>>> among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your 
>>>> resolution.
>>>>
>>>> Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & 
>>>> MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
>>>> Microsoft Certified Trainer
>>>> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>>>>
>>>> If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, 
>>>> please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check 
>>>> http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
>>>
>>
>> 
See what SBS support is working on
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/default.aspx
Check your SBS with the SBS Best Practices Analyzer
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/tags/BPA/default.aspx
0
Jim
4/16/2010 2:37:19 PM
I'd keep after them.  See if you can get somebody who actually knows what 
this is about.  If they are going to offer fixed IP business-class service, 
they need to be able to do this.

"Frank" <ffarero@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message 
news:4bc8246f$0$5001$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com...
> I talked to the Centurylink guys again last night. They took over from 
> Embarq. The last tech I talked to did not even know what a reverse PTR 
> record was! His answer was to get a email address from them and use that. 
> Yea right! And yes they handed out a address pool of IP's. Thanks to all 
> for your inputs and advice.
>
> "SteveB" <newsgroup@public.lan> wrote in message 
> news:eq3TUXP3KHA.348@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> I think your client chose the wrong ISP if CenturyLink.net will not 
>> provide the proper PTR.
>>
>> "Frank" <ffarero@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message 
>> news:4bc78c16$0$4893$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com...
>>> Thanks for the shove in the right direction Ace,
>>>
>>> Unfortunately CenturyLink.net does provide that service.
>>>
>>> "Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]" <aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote in 
>>> message news:e9Tol5N3KHA.4332@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>>
>>>> "Frank" <ffarero@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message 
>>>> news:4bc77b82$0$4888$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com...
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> I just picked up a client who moved his SBS 2003 (using SMTP for mail)
>>>>> network from his home to a office. At his house he had Brighthouse 
>>>>> networks
>>>>> with a static IP. Due to the move he changed ISPs to CenturyLink with 
>>>>> a
>>>>> static IP.
>>>>>
>>>>> I found his DNS was hosted by GoDaddy and changed the MX and "A" 
>>>>> records to
>>>>> reflect the new static IP.
>>>>>
>>>>> Looking at GoDaddy DNS manager his domain is alalpert.com. I also 
>>>>> found out
>>>>> another domain is involved - smartofficesolutions.com
>>>>>
>>>>> Mail forwarding is setup from smartofficesolutions.com (Site is hosted 
>>>>> by
>>>>> another company in another state) to alalpert.com.
>>>>>
>>>>> My question is would I setup a Reverse PTR record for with the new ISP 
>>>>> for
>>>>> alalpert.com only?
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> You have to call the ISP provider your actual internet line is being 
>>>> hosted by, because THEY own the IP address.
>>>>
>>>> -- 
>>>> Ace
>>>>
>>>> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and 
>>>> confers no rights.
>>>>
>>>> Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit 
>>>> among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your 
>>>> resolution.
>>>>
>>>> Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE 
>>>> & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
>>>> Microsoft Certified Trainer
>>>> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>>>>
>>>> If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, 
>>>> please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check 
>>>> http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
>>>
>>
>> 
0
Bill
4/16/2010 9:29:56 PM
I called Embarq last night and guess what? They transferred me to 
CenturyLink. I did get a tech who knew what I was talking about but stated 
again that they do not setup reverse DNS. He stated the best way to correct 
this was for the client to use embarq.net email addresses. I told him the 
company owner will be real thrilled at hearing that and to expect a call 
from him on Monday.

"Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]" <aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote in message 
news:ud7adoR3KHA.5820@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>
> "Andrew M. Saucci, Jr." <spam-only@2000computer.local> wrote in message 
> news:OLsY7WQ3KHA.4540@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>        Two possibilities:
>>
>> 1) A whois of the IP address shows that it is owned by Embarq 
>> Corporation.
>>
>> OrgTechPhone:  +1-407-741-0500
>> OrgTechEmail:  ipsupport@embarqservices.net
>>
>>    Perhaps CenturyLink is a reseller of Embarq and Embarq may be willing 
>> to
>> setup reverse DNS as you like it, even if CenturyLink will not (boo, 
>> hiss).
>>
>> 2) If you can't raise the bridge, lower the river. The current reverse 
>> DNS
>> for the IP address in question resolves to
>> fl-67-76-130-96.sta.embarqhsd.net. You can simply tell Exchange to report
>> that as its name when it sends a HELO command. That may alleviate some
>> problems with spam filters. It isn't ideal, but it may help.
>>
>
> Unfortunate, as you said, it only alleviates any receiving MTA using a 
> filter that doesn't check for PTR, or if it does, and finds that it's a 
> DHCP pool (whether or not it is because some statics are actually reserved 
> DHCP pools within the ISP), it may still flag it as residential.
>
> Ace 

0
Frank
4/17/2010 9:29:51 AM
"Frank" <ffarero@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message =
news:4bc97f93$0$4962$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com...
>I called Embarq last night and guess what? They transferred me to=20
> CenturyLink. I did get a tech who knew what I was talking about but =
stated=20
> again that they do not setup reverse DNS. He stated the best way to =
correct=20
> this was for the client to use embarq.net email addresses. I told him =
the=20
> company owner will be real thrilled at hearing that and to expect a =
call=20
> from him on Monday.
>=20

I think it's time to find a new provider. Apparently CenturyLink and =
Embarq are more of a residential based service, and not busines-centric.

Ace
0
Ace
4/17/2010 4:39:09 PM
Thanks for everyone's advice on this.

"Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]" <aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote in message 
news:ug4RCyk3KHA.5820@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>
> "Frank" <ffarero@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message 
> news:4bc97f93$0$4962$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com...
>>I called Embarq last night and guess what? They transferred me to
>> CenturyLink. I did get a tech who knew what I was talking about but 
>> stated
>> again that they do not setup reverse DNS. He stated the best way to 
>> correct
>> this was for the client to use embarq.net email addresses. I told him the
>> company owner will be real thrilled at hearing that and to expect a call
>> from him on Monday.
>>
>
> I think it's time to find a new provider. Apparently CenturyLink and 
> Embarq are more of a residential based service, and not busines-centric.
>
> Ace 

0
Frank
4/18/2010 2:10:33 AM
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 22:10:33 -0400, "Frank" <ffarero@cfl.rr.com>
wrote:

>Thanks for everyone's advice on this.

You are welcome. 
0
Ace
4/19/2010 5:18:44 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

insert a new cell into an existing formula
I have a simple formula in excel that adds every 7th row for a total. When I add rows to this worksheet (in the center), the formula does not update to reflect the new cells. How do I get the SUM formula to update? A formula such =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A20)*(MOD(ROW(A1:A20),7)=0)) will reflect the changes if a row is inserted within the range. What is yours like? -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Debbie" <Debbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DE30DEA6-840E-48FB-B372-C9EC015E9258@microsoft.com... > I have a simple form...

Dual boot in reverse
Hello, I have dual boot system: driveC --> WinXP driveD --->Vista Now, I do not need WinXP anymore. I want to have only Vista and combine C & D into one, single partition. How to do that without reinstalling Vista? Your thoughts appreciated, Claire On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 15:00:12 -0500, "Claire" <replyto@fra> wrote: >Hello, > I have dual boot system: >driveC --> WinXP >driveD --->Vista >Now, I do not need WinXP anymore. >I want to have only Vista and combine C & D into one, single partition. &...

How do I build a record locator for my app?
OK I have an App that just has 1 table and I have a form for that table but now that there are a coulpe of hundred records I want any easy way to find the record that I want. What I am trying to do is open the same table in a datasheet form, scroll to the record I want, then close the the form and have the record pointer moved to the new record in the currect form So I built the datasheet form and put a button on my main form to call it. When I click on the button the form opens but not as a data sheet so how do I get it to open and browse the records? How do I open it as a view of the cur...

My Shared Records
hi i want to create a view on accounts and contacts to show all contacts and accounts that have been shared with me. Is there any way i can do this. Regards CRM_2008 You could do it by logically constructing a query using Owner and Owning Business Unit. The complexity would depend on how many business units you have. For example, if you have only a single business unit and you only have permissions to see your own records, then you could set up a view based on: Contacts where Owner Does Not Equal Current User That would show you contacts that are not yours, which if you were in a si...

Edit as new in 2007?
Thunderbird has a nice little trick - by right-clicking on a sent mail the option to 'edit as new' appears. Is there a way of doing this in Outlook 2007? (except by pretending to forward and faffing about) -- Jim S Tyneside UK www.jimscott.co.uk -- Jim S Tyneside UK www.jimscott.co.uk "Jim S" <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote in message news:1nktly3ywzla4$.dlg@ID-104726.news.individual.net... > Thunderbird has a nice little trick - by right-clicking on a sent mail the > option to 'edit as new' appears. > Is ther...

Update current record of recordset
I have a simple recordset (select * from stores). Is there a way to update the current record I am processing? example: update table1 set field1 = "ABC" where ??CURRENT RECORD OF RECORDSET?? Do you have an easy example? If you are using bound forms, this is automatic, just type "ABC" into the proper textbox. If you need to update another recordset, set the recordset to pull only the 1 record: "Select * From Stores Where ID = '" & Me.PrimaryKeyValue & "'" for a text Primary Key, or: "Select * From Stores Where ID = " &am...

SSL for OWA preventing remote clients from opening PDF
We are running SBS 2003 SP1. When remote users connect to OWA and try to open a pdf attachment, they get a message to save the file to their hard disk first and then open it. I understand that this is related to the security with SSL, but is there any way to change it? Thanks in advance.... ...

default values for converted records
when we convert leads to opportunities we need to assign certain fields default values. Doing it in the opportunity form does not help because by values in newly converted records are still assigned to NULL. Question: except for defining a workflow rules, is there any way to force certain default values for unmapped fields in newly converted records? For pick-list, you can always select a default value. On other field types, it is not supported out of the box with current version. Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm San Francisco, CA "Dmitry" wrote...

No macro recording dialog box
When I record a macro, I no longer get the macro recording dialog box. I can stop the macro from tools/macro/stop recording. However without the dialog box I cannot choose relative reference. I use to have this box. Hi Steve! Right click any toolbar. Select Customize. On the Toolbars Tab, scroll down and check Stop Recording. Close. If you are recording a macro and use the "X" to close the toolbar instead of using the blue stop button, the toolbar will no longer appear. Biff >-----Original Message----- >When I record a macro, I no longer get the macro recording >...

REVERSING TEXT
HOW CAN I REVERSE TEXT AND PICTURES ON PUBLISHER TO PRINT ONTO T.SHIRTS spike <spike@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > HOW CAN I REVERSE TEXT AND PICTURES ON PUBLISHER TO PRINT ONTO > T.SHIRTS YES. PLEASE READ REPLY TO YOUR FIRST POST. Please do not talk in all caps. It is considered shouting and makes your post difficult to read and is rude. Your first message ("how do i reversie pictures and text for printing to t.shirts") is directly below this one and has been answered by yours truly. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

Publisher 2003 not "seeing" new installed fonts
I have noticed this since I have installed Publisher 2003.That when i install new fonts while I am working on something, The new fonts are not in the list. Why ? And is there a way to MAKE it see them ? Are your new fonts in the windows/Fonts directory? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Phil" <philk@softhome.net> wrote in message news:uoNTZh0MEHA.1388@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I have noticed this since I have installed Publisher 2003.That when i > install new fonts while I am working on something, The new fonts are not in > the list. Why ? And is th...

copy record in a subform
Is it possible to copy a record in a subform? I want to have all field values except one (or maybe 2) be the same. Thanks. Karen See: Assign default values from the last record at: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-24.html The article explains how to have a form automatically add the same data you had in the last record, as soon as you start entering a new one. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com...

Unable to set up new credit card account
I am trying to set up my new credit card account, but I keep getting the error message "To set up your accounts, you must be online. Please close Money, and then sign in to your file. When you sign in, make sure the Work offline box is cleared." However, I am online. I am not working offline. When I started the program, the work offline box was cleared. I logged in using my passport. Online updates are working. So, what's the problem? FYI: I am using Microsoft Money 2005 Deluxe. Version 14.0.120.1105 Does anyone have suggestions? (Please do not suggest that I switch to Q...

Unique Records
I was looking for someone who could help me with the following: I have a rather large Datase (5000 records and growing). One of the data collumns excists of 120 different categories (and still growing). How can I make a list, in another sheet, which only contains the categories? Thanks in Advance! Data>filter>advanced filter and unique records only and copy to another location, select only the column with categories -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Jasper" <Jasper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:99F7A94B-1D4C-462B-B56A-CB736124F57F@microsoft.com... >...

Audio Recordings and CRASH
I have had a Mac-book Pro for 2 weeks and purchased Office:mac 2004 to record lectures for medical school. The first lecture i recorded in word worked great. The program is sweat, in that it records and saves the audio recording along with the notes you are taking so that you can go back to a particular section of notes and listen to only that part of the lecture. Problem: Since the first recording I have tried several times to record and every-time I try to save the file, the program locks up. The "time" circle pops up and wont allow me to do anything in word, including saving a...

New mystery with POP3 Connector
I repaired the SBS 2008 POP3 Connector according to MS's Tech Net instructions. The service operates correctly, but, when I restart the server, the service does not start automatically. I tried changing the recovery options, but nothing worked until I set the service to Automatic (Delayed Start). It was not set to a delayed start before. What has changed that requires the delay? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_004E_01CAA0D0.2D45A0A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable It...

IMAP folders not bold even when new mail arrives
I have Outlook 2007 (vista) with both pop and imap accounts. The pop folders appear bold when they contain new unread email. The imap folders do not appear bold when they contain new unread mail. When I click on the imap folder they will then be bold indicating new unread mail. I rely on the bolding to check for new mail, how can I make the imap folder appear bold when new unread mail arrives? I also wanted to note that my hotmail account folder using Outlook Connector does bold when new unread mail is available. "sjmnyc" wrote: > I have Outlook 2007 (vista) with bot...

Skip Records on a Form
I have form based on a table. The table is appended daily with new records. The goal of the form is to provide a place where people can view the new records and input data into the records. The problem I have is that the form is displaying old records as well as new. I want the form to display only new records that have not been updated by the user through the form. Any idea how I could acheive this? Thanks in advance. How do you differentiate between "old" and "new" records? I.e. what attribute of a record tells you (or more appropriately, tells Access)...

Duplicate a Record
Hello, I have two tables that are related by Case# by a one to one relationship. Each table has about 150 fields. Is there an easy way to duplicate a record that spans across two tables? Not sure if this helps but I have a continuous form that shows all of my records with about 10 fields, 5 fields from each table. In this continous form I have a button that currently doesn't do anything but I would like to change it that upon clicking it access will duplicate the record that spans two tables (about 300 fields total). There are few records that I don't want to duplicate...

Adding a new lookup in 4.0 (I must be missing something simple)
I want to add a sales rep lookup to a quote. I figure since all sales reps are users we could just rename the field to sales rep. No go. The client sometimes has other people like admins enter a quote for a sales rep, thus will need to track who entered it and the sales rep to the quote. Simple I created a N:1 with user to add the lookup field, but I can't find the field to add to the quote form and if I use a custom field I see sales rep on the left menu of the quote. What am I missing, is this functionality not in 4.0, can't believe that? I know I could use a created by...

Formulas reversed
Using Office 2007 and windows XP. The back slash has become "multiply" and the star has become "divide". In other words, these two symbols are reversed. Have no idea how this happened. How can it be reversed back to normal? thanks. Please give an example of formula, values of input cells and result of formula -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "RENEE" <RENEE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C56D666E-70CD-4E8F-97F9-1FAD9CE92024@microsoft.com... > Using Office 2007 and windows XP. The back slas...

Recording bimonthly mortgage payments in MS Money
I have my mortgage deducted twice a month (bimonthly) and then I pay an additional payment each year. How would this be recorded in Money so it works in the budget tool? I'm currently transfering it to an asset and deducting the payments from that account but the budget can intrepret it for my ledger. Any help? -- Thank you! ...

Consuming Axis 1.2 Service with .net vb client
Hi, I have a problem consuming a webservice using a .net client written in vb. I used a wsdl to generate the proxy class and it worked like a charm. Sending requests to the service is not a problem. Even complex custom types are received and processed by the service. When it comes to receive the response from the service, complex types produce an error like: Error in xml document (1,130), which occurs in System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events) bei System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize...

Outlook client on Exchange Server
Hi, I installed Office 2003 SP2 on my Exchange 2003 server and have been told I should uninstall this due to compatibility issues running Outlook on an exchange server. Does anyone know of any compatibility issues? Does this sound right? Cheers http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266418/en-us Alan Byrne wrote: > Hi, I installed Office 2003 SP2 on my Exchange 2003 server and have been told > I should uninstall this due to compatibility issues running Outlook on an > exchange server. Does anyone know of any compatibility issues? Does this > sound right? > > Cheers &g...

Displaying related records in a subform ...
Hi all Hopefully I can explain this in enough detail to make sense! I am creating a contact database and am just starting to create the main form. On the main form it shows a particular contacts details (eg name, phone, email etc), then I have a number of subforms which display their company's contact address, notice address, and the name of the technical manager in charge of that particular client. Now ... what i would like to do is create another subform which will display the details of all other contacts (for the particular company I am currently viewing) and even better, the abilit...