Remotely connect to SBS 2003

I'm a little new here.  Trying to remotely connect to a SBS2003 server.
However, the ISP uses DHCP to assign addresses so every 2 days the external
IP changes.  How can I connect to the server without asking someone at the
office to give me the new external IP all the time?
I've already assigned a static IP to the server in the range of
192.168.1.XXX and allowed port 3389 to that address in the router.  I can
connect fine when I have the correct external IP.

Thanks in advance!

R.

0
Remi

Hi Remi:

Welcome.....

You should have a static IP address, or a dynamic to static translator service.
 Either one will work, but a real static IP is best.

With one of the translators, such as DYN DNS they will track your chaning
IP and route the IP they assign you to your current one.  The fees are very
reasonable, and many hardware edge devices have the little "call home" widget
built in.

http://www.dyndns.com/

you will also need either a static or a translator to host your email.

-
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
issue so others may benefit
-
Get Your SBS Health Check at
www.sbsbpa.com

> I'm a little new here.  Trying to remotely connect to a SBS2003
> server.
> However, the ISP uses DHCP to assign addresses so every 2 days the
> external
> IP changes.  How can I connect to the server without asking someone at
> the
> office to give me the new external IP all the time?
> I've already assigned a static IP to the server in the range of
> 192.168.1.XXX and allowed port 3389 to that address in the router.  I
> can
> connect fine when I have the correct external IP.
> Thanks in advance!
>
> R.

0
Larry
4/17/2010 11:33:06 PM
Hi Remi,

I assume you want to either VPN into the SBS server or you want to use RWW
to log into a desktop at the office.

You need to set up a free DDNS (Dynamic DNS) account through someone like
Dyndns.com.  Then install the DNS Client Update software on the server.
This will track the changing IP address so that it always points to the host
you set up in your DDNS account (the host name would be something like:
mysbsserver.dyndns.org).  Then you can use the host name to access your SBS
server.

If you wanted to use RWW, in Internet Explorer on your remote computer you
would type in the Address field:

https://mysbsserver.dyndns.org/remote

Following is a run down on how to use a DDNS account with your SBS server:

SBS 2003 DDNS and Email Setup Procedure
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs/msg/be1d68ee2e0ba0d4?hl=en

DynDNS Update Client
http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/

--
Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
============================

"Remi" <reparent@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> I'm a little new here.  Trying to remotely connect to a SBS2003 server.
> However, the ISP uses DHCP to assign addresses so every 2 days the
> external
> IP changes.  How can I connect to the server without asking someone at the
> office to give me the new external IP all the time?
> I've already assigned a static IP to the server in the range of
> 192.168.1.XXX and allowed port 3389 to that address in the router.  I can
> connect fine when I have the correct external IP.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> R.

0
Merv
4/17/2010 11:34:45 PM
As Larry and Merv have pointed out, you need a dynamic DNS configuration if
you can't get a static IP. Their suggestion is DynDNS, and that will work,
but there are other alternatives as well. I've successfully used ZoneEdit,
which is free, along with DirectUpdate. The key in all these cases is that
you need to gain control of your public DNS so that you can change it as
necessary. Once you've done that, there are multiple solutions to allow you
to do the management required.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Remi" <reparent@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> I'm a little new here.  Trying to remotely connect to a SBS2003 server.
> However, the ISP uses DHCP to assign addresses so every 2 days the
> external
> IP changes.  How can I connect to the server without asking someone at the
> office to give me the new external IP all the time?
> I've already assigned a static IP to the server in the range of
> 192.168.1.XXX and allowed port 3389 to that address in the router.  I can
> connect fine when I have the correct external IP.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> R.

0
Charlie
4/18/2010 1:14:48 PM
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 20:17:42 -0300, "Remi" <reparent@nbnet.nb.ca>
wrote:

>I'm a little new here.  Trying to remotely connect to a SBS2003 server.
>However, the ISP uses DHCP to assign addresses so every 2 days the external
>IP changes.  How can I connect to the server without asking someone at the
>office to give me the new external IP all the time?
>I've already assigned a static IP to the server in the range of
>192.168.1.XXX and allowed port 3389 to that address in the router.  I can
>connect fine when I have the correct external IP.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>R.

You can go with a dynamic IP service, such as DynIP (www.dynip.com) to
take care of this.

Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
0
Ace

Outlook 2003 #31
I am having problem with my outlook 2003. Everytime I open outlook I am getting this message: Internet Security Warning The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that could not be verified. A certificate chain processed, but terminated ina root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider. Do you want to continue using the server? YES or NO I do not know what to do. Everytime I click yes or no, I get disconnected from the server and can't get or send emails properly. I am a home user, using Earthlink cable modem as my server. I had been using Outlook ...

Connecting multiple IF statements into one formula
I am trying to create a formula using multiple IF statements. Individually they all work but I don't know how to connect them in into one formula. Basically, 4 possible date ranges that would each produce a different text value. Any suggestions? =IF(AND(I1>=DATEVALUE("1-Jan"),I1<=DATEVALUE("31-Mar")),"Spring Assortment")*IF(AND(I1>=DATEVALUE("1-Apr"),I1<=DATEVALUE("30-Jun")),"Summer Assortment")*IF(AND(I1>=DATEVALUE("1-Jul"),I1<=DATEVALUE("30-Sep")),"Fall Assortment"...

2003 vs 2007 question
2003 Access Database z:\\Jones\HomeFiles\household.be z:\\Jones\household.fe Users A and B have full access to both files and all folders. User A is using Access 2003 User B is using Access 2007 User A can access and write. User B is unable to open the database. Is this a version issue or should I be looking for something else? -- Teach me to fish! Thanks for the help. Pax, M On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 09:43:01 -0700, m stroup <mstroup@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >2003 Access Database > >z:\\Jones\HomeFiles\household.be >z:\\Jones\house...

Frequent ExchSrvr restarts needed for remote users
Hello all – I have a mob of disenchanted users about to lynch me because of a problem that I cannot get to the bottom of. I recently migrated Exchange 5.5 to 2K3, consolidating three sites in the process. Now we have one Exchange Server at headquarters that hosts all mailboxes and public folders. The problem is with the users at the remote sites. Approximately every three business days, I have to restart the Exch Srvr, because over the space of a few hours, many users at the remotes sites are unable to connect to it. (“Trying to connect..” in the Outlook status bar). Only a resta...

XP PRO 2003/Outlook send/receive
Whatever setting I use I cannot get Outlook to send/receive at my choice of intervals. In fact I seem to mostly F9. to check..... It seems to have started doing this since I had a wireless router installed. I want it to check every 5 minutes but it will not do it. I have repaired the Office Suite to no effect. On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:14:10 -1000, gracenote <nospam@mydomain.com> wrote: > Whatever setting I use I cannot get Outlook to send/receive at my > choice of intervals. In fact I seem to mostly F9. to check..... > > It seems to have started doing this since I had a w...

Disable format painter in excel 2003
The format painter icon keeps appearing when I add or delete columns and rows - it keeps blocking me from seeing what is in the cell and is a general nuisance. I do not need the format painter, but I cant seem to find a way to deactivate it, permanently if possible. Anyone have any ideas? Actually it is probably not the Format Painter, but the Insert Options button that is bothering you. Tools>Options>Edit. Uncheck the Insert Options and for me, also the Paste Options button. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 15:43:04 -0800, tenchsama <tenchsama@discussions.microsoft...

Compacting remotely?
Hello All I have an access97 backend mdb, which I would like to compact/repair automatically overnight. Is it possible to leave a separate mdb open that would open the backend mdb, compact it, then close it again? I'm sure this can be done because I think I've read something about it somewhere: but I can't remember how - or where! Hope someone can help. Thanks Leslie Isaacs well you could schedule it with windows. take a look at Albert Kallal's solution here: http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/BatchJobs/Index.html change the code to compact the database... -- M...

Remote Active Sync
Hello, I just upgraded to Exchange 2003 Server and I have no idea how to setup Mobile Access. I would like to sync my pocket pc remotely. Does anyone know where I can get step by step instructions on how to do this? Thanks, Jose ...

Remoting
Can I launch with some api an application in a remote pc that is connected to the same lan? If the answer is positive, can I supply also parameters? Regards Mark Overall, the simple answer is "no". In fact, if you can do this, there is a security hole in your network large enough to drive a freight train through. Sideways. However, you can create secure techniques that can allow this; creating the security is a topic well beyond the scope we can discuss here, but what you have to do is create some kind of server process that launches the program with appropriate security cred...

Outlook Express disconnects internet connection.
Any one help please. When I start OE it automatically disconnects my dial-up DSL connection! Tried all of the fixes in Knowledge Base but no luck yet.IE6 does not do this when I open that so whats up? Cheers. Steve B <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Any one help please. > When I start OE it automatically disconnects my dial-up > DSL connection! Tried all of the fixes in Knowledge Base > but no luck yet.IE6 does not do this when I open that so > whats up? Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman ...

OLEDB connection from Access to RMS
I am well-versed in the design and development of database applications, and want to connect to the RMS store operations database via MS Access. I need help configuring the OLEDB settings in Access to connect to the RMS store operations database. I would be very grateful if someone could tell me the settings that need to be selected to make the connection. -- FRB hi FRB, here are the settings: Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Password=sa;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=sa;Initial Catalog=RMSSample;Data Source=RMSServer the Catalog is your database name and Data Source is Name of RMS Server. Ra...

remote connections
In SS2K , how to enable remote connections ? For example, from my machine, within SEM I'd like to create a "New SQL Server Registration" connection to that machine. This has always worked for me in the past, but today I've encountered an SS2K instance which gives me a "SQL Server does not exist or access denied. ConnectionOpen (Connect())" error. Does it matter if the target instance is configured as "Windows Authentication" vs "Mixed Mode" ? I'm attempting the "New SQL Server Registration" via Windows Authentication. I...

Remote Office VPN Internet Access
Hi Have Remote Office (RO) PCs connected to Main Office (MO) (SBS 2003) via h/w router Site to Site VPN, on ADSL. Is it possible to route Internet traffic via the local router rather than using the SBS 2003 box for DNS. Objective is to reduce data traffic on the VPN. I am going to add 2nd ADSL line to split off and soley route the VoIP traffic usinng a static route. Or alternatively use a router with VPN trunking with QoS. However, if Internet traffic was kept 'local', the VPN would have more bandwidth for VoIP/files. -- Many Thanks Drew In article <6...

Wildcard Mailbox in Exchange 2003
Is it possible to set up a mailbox to be the 'catch-all' for all misaddressed/misspelled incoming emails, so that they're not missed? I am having a difficult time finding this in the documentation. Thanks. This relates to Exchange 2000 not sure if it is still valid for Exchange 2003 but its a place to start. You can create an SMTP Event Sink to handle unresolved recipients, here is a link from the Microsoft Knowledgebase that explains how this is done: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q315631 I personally would recommend you look at Mailbasket from ...

excel 2003 changing saved print settings
Hi, Does anyone know why this is happening? If I open a saved excel spreadsheet in excel 2003, if that spreadsheet had been saved with excel 2002 or xp, it overrides the saved print settings (ie. print on both sides) and changes it to not print on both sides. Further explanation. I save an excel spreadsheet on excel 2000 or 2002 or xp. It retains the "print on both sides" value in print properties, regardless of how the default printer looks in control panel. But if I bring this spreadsheet up in excel 2003, the print on both sides goes away. Is this a bug or a feature and i...

Connection retries
How do I limit the number of connection retries in Exchange on SBS2003. I've checked in the online help, but it refers to Override tabs that do not appear to me on the SMTP Connector. Is their perhaps a registry setting I need to manually modify? Can you explain what you mean by connection retries? Are you talking about outbound connections? If so, there isn't a per-se limit on the number of times the connection is retried, rather it is a time limit. The default timeout setting is 2 days, after which a message is NDR'd back to the sender. If this isn't what you are ...

Need help configurig outlook 2003 client for use wiht exchange server using outlook web access
Hello, Here is my problem. I am trying to configure Outlook 2003 to access an exchange server. The IT person gave me the following information. server: https://email.domain.com/exchange user name: XXXX\xxxxx I entered these two as given to me in the exchange server settings. However when i try to connect or check names I get an error message saying outlook could not log on. I also am not asked for my password or given a place to enter the password. Before you tell me that it can not be done, I have used the server and user name above to connect and access the exchange server wiht Microsof...

CRM 1.2 SBS 2003 Can not install exchange email router
Logged on as domain admin throughout. Installed CRM successfully, followed install instructions, did not install to local host installed web to a hostheader of "companyweb" port 80. during Exchange email router setup I get an error when specifying CRM server and web - "one or more os the MS CRM servers you listed is invalid or you do not have administrator priveleges on that server...." server name: sbssrb01 web http://companyweb If I go into IIS can not open CRM web get - http Error 403 - Forbidden: Access is denied. All services are on 1 server "sbssrv01&qu...

Unable to open emails sent at attachments, in Outlook 2003 SP3?
Recently I've had a number of users experience the inability to open emails sent to them as attachments, rather than as just inline. They can properly open other attachments (.doc, .pdf, .xls, etc.) without issue. The problem seems to only be with emails sent as attachments. This issue happens whether the attachment email is sent from internal user to user (i.e. never passing through anything but our Exchange 2003 SP2 Server), or from an external source which passes through our spam firewall. Any clues what would be causing this? Is it SP3 for Outlook related? Robert Gordon <...

using the sum function in excel 2003
When I sum the cells horozontally in a spreadsheet, the total becomes a hyperlink - turns blue, launches my e-mail and has the blue underline. I've tried reformatting the cells as accounting number - but it doesn't change it. Try Edit, Clear, All Bob Flanagan Macro Systems http://www.add-ins.com Productivity add-ins and downloadable books on VB macros for Excel "ehfcpa" <ehfcpa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9800E913-0574-4B73-82A9-A00A7BA91DF2@microsoft.com... > When I sum the cells horozontally in a spreadsheet, the total becomes a > hy...

changing contents of a sheet remotely
Hi, I have a list of jobs on sheet1 col A contains the job number, Sheet2 is an invoice, i enter job numbers into col A and Vlookups operate in the other cols. When i enter a number into sheet2 i would like the row which contains this job number to have the date entered into col M so i can easily check if a job has been charged out. What is the command for this, will it have to be run as a macro? If i then go on to enter numbers in a list down to cell A38 on sheet 2 is the best way to write code to look at all the numbers at once and adjust sheet1 accordingly? Or input the job numbers via a...

Faxing through Outlook 2003 on a Server 2003 machine via VB
I have a SBS2K setup with faxing for all of our client machines. I have an Access 2K database that allows our clients to fax a snapshot of a sales report via Outlook using the Docmd.Sendobject event. Everything works fine on our client machines running XP or WIN2K. I just upgraded one of our Terminal Servers from 2000 to 2003. I have the faxing setup the same as before however I cannot fax from the access database any more. I recieve an "Undeliverable" bounce back email. It worked on the 2000 TS. I can fax using the Print command and then selecting the 'Shared Fax on Server...

Remote Web Workplace / Remote Destop Web
I'm trying to set up remote desktop access for several of my key users . I found / enabled "TSWeb", however as far as I can see - and this is where I need some help - this only allows all users to access a specific computer within the LAN. I did make this work but there's really no advantage to running the web interface if it just connects to 1 computer. I next located the Remote Web Workplace that comes as part of SBS 2003. (I look after several networks, one of which uses SBS2003). This is the functionality I'm looking for however I am unable to make...

Word 2003 vs Word 2007 and XML
I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the way Word 2003 worked as far as direct formatting goes vs. 2007 and the XML background. It is my understanding that if you used direct formatting in Word 2003 instead of using styles, it created problems with corruption because Word 2003 would put a a code before and after each and every character selected. For example, if someone had a document they received in Courier New that was 50 pages long and they selected the entire document and changed the font to Times New Roman (TNR), every character throughout the document would have a...

VISIO 2003 #2
Hello, my student version of visio wont connect to the web, is there someone thet knows how to get irt registered? I obviously can connect to the internet so please dont ask that. Thank You, Dave Casper Visio 2003 requires product activation before the full functionality of the software is unlocked. After Visio is installed you can go to the Help menu and choose Activate Product to complete this process. If you are connected to the web, activation will then happen automatically. Otherwise, you will be presented with a product ID and a telephone number to call for activation. Regis...