Remote Office VPN Internet Access

Hi
Have Remote Office (RO) PCs connected to Main Office (MO) (SBS 2003) via h/w
router Site to Site VPN, on ADSL.

Is it possible to route Internet traffic via the local router rather than
using the SBS 2003 box for DNS. Objective is to reduce data traffic on the
VPN.

I am going to add  2nd ADSL line to split off  and  soley route the VoIP
traffic usinng a static route. Or alternatively use a router with VPN
trunking with QoS. However, if Internet traffic was kept 'local',  the VPN
would have more bandwidth for VoIP/files.
--
Many Thanks
Drew

In article <675ADD5F-A7EC-4DFA-9C3D-CCCA64BE2887@microsoft.com>,
Drew@discussions.microsoft.com says...

> Hi
> Have Remote Office (RO) PCs connected to Main Office (MO) (SBS 2003) via h/w
> router Site to Site VPN, on ADSL.
>
> Is it possible to route Internet traffic via the local router rather than
> using the SBS 2003 box for DNS. Objective is to reduce data traffic on the
> VPN.
>
> I am going to add  2nd ADSL line to split off  and  soley route the VoIP
> traffic usinng a static route. Or alternatively use a router with VPN
> trunking with QoS. However, if Internet traffic was kept 'local',  the VPN
> would have more bandwidth for VoIP/files.

Install a server at the RO and replicate DNS between them, in fact,
install DHCP and DNS on the RO server.

You need your remote stations to see the DNS server that knows about the
SBS DNS, so you may be out of luck unless you install a DNS server in
the RO.

Trust yourself.
Leythos
4/30/2010 3:22:41 PM
Thank you for the succinct advice.
--
Many Thanks
Drew

"Leythos" wrote:

> In article <675ADD5F-A7EC-4DFA-9C3D-CCCA64BE2887@microsoft.com>,
> Drew@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> >
> > Hi
> > Have Remote Office (RO) PCs connected to Main Office (MO) (SBS 2003) via h/w
> > router Site to Site VPN, on ADSL.
> >
> > Is it possible to route Internet traffic via the local router rather than
> > using the SBS 2003 box for DNS. Objective is to reduce data traffic on the
> > VPN.
> >
> > I am going to add  2nd ADSL line to split off  and  soley route the VoIP
> > traffic usinng a static route. Or alternatively use a router with VPN
> > trunking with QoS. However, if Internet traffic was kept 'local',  the VPN
> > would have more bandwidth for VoIP/files.
>
> Install a server at the RO and replicate DNS between them, in fact,
> install DHCP and DNS on the RO server.
>
> You need your remote stations to see the DNS server that knows about the
> SBS DNS, so you may be out of luck unless you install a DNS server in
> the RO.
>
> --
> You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little
> voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that.
> Trust yourself.
> spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)
> .

Hello Drew,

Thanks for your post and Leythos' good input.

Besides, If you would like put the SBS 2003 server in the local network and leverage the front router as VPN/DNS server, please refer to the "Using an External Firewall" part of the
below article:

Securing Your Windows Small Business Server 2003 Network
http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/support/articles/sec_sbs2003_network.mspx

As for the remote office, as Leythos indicated, you can install a dedicated DNS server.

How To Configure a VPN Server to Act as a Router in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816573

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Robbin Meng(MSFT)
Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support

Frequent ExchSrvr restarts needed for remote users
Hello all – I have a mob of disenchanted users about to lynch me because of a problem that I cannot get to the bottom of. I recently migrated Exchange 5.5 to 2K3, consolidating three sites in the process. Now we have one Exchange Server at headquarters that hosts all mailboxes and public folders. The problem is with the users at the remote sites. Approximately every three business days, I have to restart the Exch Srvr, because over the space of a few hours, many users at the remotes sites are unable to connect to it. (“Trying to connect..” in the Outlook status bar). Only a resta...

Out of office reply #16
Is it possible to create an exceptions list for the "Out of office reply"? I was hoping that an exchange server on a domain may allow for this. Both Office XP and 2000 don't seem to provide this function on the client side. Thanks for any input. Alas, not that I know of. A lot of orgs don't even open up OOO to the Internet for myriad reasons, replying to all spammers being one of them. John Knutson wrote: > Is it possible to create an exceptions list for the "Out > of office reply"? I was hoping that an exchange server on > a domain may allow for this...

HELP: Access table linked to Excel
The problem is as follows: I linked an Access table to a complex Excel spreadsheet (.xls). I also built a custom Access form to browse and modify the data in that table. Works fine, however the worksheet also has numerous calculated cells (with formulas), and these formulas have no effect while I am using the form. The only way to correctly update these cells is to close my Access application, open the spreadsheet in Excel and save it, which is a hardly acceptable process. Is there a way for those formulas to update the corresponding cells automatically, without having to close Access and o...

Post Office 2003 SP3 problem
I'm having a serious issue after upgrading to Office 2003 SP3. Three out of the several hundred forms in my database no longer allow me to make changes to the underlying code. To be more precise, they won't allow me to *save* changes to the underlying code. Every time I try to save, even a tirival change (hit Enter on a line of existing code) I get the "Microsoft Access has encountered a problem and needs to close" message. This is the error message: AppName: msaccess.exe AppVer: 11.0.8166.0 AppStamp:46437912 ModName: ntdll.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 ...

Excel macro to create e-mail in Outlook Web Access
Hi, Where I work they've changed from Outlook 2003 to Outlook Web Access. At the end of each day I send a report by e-mail to several other people in the organisation. To date I've used a macro in Excel that takes figures from a worksheet and creates an e-mail in Outlook. If I'm logged in to Outlook Web Access, can I still get an Excel macro to create an e-mail message? Thanks, DL ...

Upgrading from Office V.X to office 2004 professional
Can I upgrade my copy of Office V.X (standard edition) to Office 2004 Professional by simply buying the Office 2004 prof upgrade (and not the full edition)? Simply put, yes! For detailed information on upgrading, see this page: <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/howtobuy.aspx?pid=upgrade#office2004> On 9/26/04 8:36 AM, in article c75f9b42.0409260536.10b01f00@posting.google.com, "JT" <john.turner@whitehallcc.com> wrote: > Can I upgrade my copy of Office V.X (standard edition) to Office 2004 > Professional by simply buying the Office 2004 prof upgrade (and not > the...

Compacting remotely?
Hello All I have an access97 backend mdb, which I would like to compact/repair automatically overnight. Is it possible to leave a separate mdb open that would open the backend mdb, compact it, then close it again? I'm sure this can be done because I think I've read something about it somewhere: but I can't remember how - or where! Hope someone can help. Thanks Leslie Isaacs well you could schedule it with windows. take a look at Albert Kallal's solution here: http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/BatchJobs/Index.html change the code to compact the database... -- M...

Can't load Office 2003
I have Win XP and Office 2000 on a Dell Laptop. I recently bought a sealed version of Office 2003 OEM. It initially loaded, but wouldn't install updates. Tried to uninstall and couldn't get it off. Got some help from Msoft. Got it off, but then couldn't re-install. I decided to reinstall office 2000. Since I had saved my outlook pst file before uninstalling 2003, it's now not readable by office 2002. Question 1: why won't 2003 load. won't even get to "key request"? Question 2: Is there conversion s/w that allows me to go backward? I down loaded...

Office 2007 Word
Since my last windows update I cannot get Word to stay up. It immediately closes with an error Word not responding windows will look for solution. Any ideas? "Anna" <Anna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4F5FAE3C-F653-4496-9B44-5321FD09F3E3@microsoft.com... > Since my last windows update I cannot get Word to stay up. It immediately > closes with an error Word not responding windows will look for solution. > Any > ideas? Do a system restore to a point before you installed the updates, then install the updates one at a time until you ...

Can I purchase just Outlook 2007 without the entire office?
I want only Outlook 2007, so that I can synch with my Motorola Q. Will this product work alone? I have the trial version and it seems to work, but it's the trial of the entire office suite. Is there anywhere I can download Outlook instead of getting it mailed to me? I have tried Microsoft but they only offer full suite downloads. Thanks Joey Joey wrote: > I want only Outlook 2007, so that I can synch with my Motorola Q. > Will this product work alone? I have the trial version and it seems > to work, but it's the trial of the entire office suite. Is there > anywhere I ...

Remote Active Sync
Hello, I just upgraded to Exchange 2003 Server and I have no idea how to setup Mobile Access. I would like to sync my pocket pc remotely. Does anyone know where I can get step by step instructions on how to do this? Thanks, Jose ...

Difficulty in pulling email into Outlook from Outlook Web Access
I want to be able to send/receive e-mail locally in Outlook. In trying to setup my e-mail account with my local Outlook, I am unable to connect to my Outlook Web Access server to check the username or connect to the server. I have tried both http setup in Outlook and exchange server setup via the Control Panel>Mail. When trying to set it up as "http" Outlook -hangs- when connecting and eventually comes back with the message that it is unable to connect to the server and is going offline. When setting it up as an Exchange account, I get an Outlook Error message that says...

Delete Office?
It's getting to be the end of the semester for me, and I'd like to burn all my Word files to CD's, then delete Office from my computer and re-install it again (I can legally "borrow" the installation disk at my school for no charge.) How do I do this? The last time I tried it I had some problems, and I don't think Office was removed correctly, and I want to start anew. After the most recent installation it will "unexpectedly quit", and I can't use the dictionary feature, among other things. In article <1114631063.612423.22240@l41g2000cwc.googlegroup...

access violation caused by cstring
We are working on a project where we need to migrate some code of an old application to a new application.The old app is an MFC app,which have some functions in the application class and document class which is required by the new app also.We created a dll project which is derived from the old app(Instead of directly deriving from CWinApp).So the hierarchy is as follows CWinApp<-Old app(COldApp)<-CNewDLLApp When the CNewDLLApp object is created(When LoadLibrary() is called),an access violation error is happening.It is caused in the constructor of COldApp where it is initialising a CStr...

access public folder from trusting domain
We are trying to configure access to a public folder from a trusted domain. The folder resides in the trusting domain on Exchange 5.5. A mailbox was created and the NT account on the box is a local group that includes a global group from the trusted domain. The global group includes the account of users who need to see the public folder. The mailbox was added to the DL that has Owner role on the public folder. As well, we created a folder for the user. For the user to be able to map to the share we added their nt account from that is in the trusted domain to the share. The nt accoun...

Error 2203 upgrading Office 2007 to RTM Office 2010 from Technet
I downloaded the 32bit installer for Office 2010 from Technet and tried to upgrade my Office Enterprise 2007 installation. The install fails with this message: 'Error 2203. An internal error has occurred. (C:\Windows\Installer\93dca91.ipi -2147287035 ) Anyone know how to fix this? Ron You cannot upgrade an Office Enterprise. You need to purchase a new license with a new install. This applies also to TecNet and MSDN subscriptions and all HUP installations. Basically that is what the error is telling you -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for...

reinstalling office 2008 to see if it resolves the problem of slowing all my apps
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC I have installed office 2008 then gradually all my apps started slowing way down. I have worked with Apple service on all sorts of library repairs, cache removal and confirming all upgrades of OSX, but nothing helps. I want to reinstall my office 2008 and I have the original product key, but installed it originally with just a download, so I have no disk etc. So, how do I reinstall without the disk? ...

Push out Office via AD/Group policy
Ok, I have gone through the process to install Office 2007 through AD/Group Policy Management Console on machines in our domain. With other applications we push out, if the application isn't installed, it installs it. If it is installed, it doesn't do anything else. It appears though that with the Office Enterprise 2007 that if it IS installed, that it re installs Office 2007... Is there a way to configure AD/GPMC to only install Office if it ISN'T installed already????? Thanks Steve Phone Support for Office Enterprise is free. See the below Here you wi...

Remoting
Can I launch with some api an application in a remote pc that is connected to the same lan? If the answer is positive, can I supply also parameters? Regards Mark Overall, the simple answer is "no". In fact, if you can do this, there is a security hole in your network large enough to drive a freight train through. Sideways. However, you can create secure techniques that can allow this; creating the security is a topic well beyond the scope we can discuss here, but what you have to do is create some kind of server process that launches the program with appropriate security cred...

Just bought Office X and really wanted Office 2004
I just bought a copy of Office for the Mac, and it turned out to be Office X not office 2004. I didn't find out till I installed it and started using it. I can't return it, so now am I stuck with spending another 200+ bucks on an Upgrade version, or does Microsoft have a version upgrade policy for new purchases? If so, how to I get an upgrade CD? Go to MS site and download the form ("2004 Technology Guarantee"). If you bought it between January 6th, 2004 and June 30, 2004, and if you still have your dated recipt and the bar code or proof of purchase from the box, you...

Web Components in Office 2003?
Used to access a website with an embedded excel sheet in it OK with Office 2000. Now upgraded to Office 2003 and instead of the sheet I get an empty box with a small graphics icon in top left. Sames for W2K adn XP workstations but Office 2000 OK. ...

Putting Database on Server so other Employees can access it
I just put a database I created on our server. The other 2 people who will be using it arent able to open it up though. Can someone please point me in the right direction of how to fix this so they can use it? Thanks for your help!!! 1. All users of the database must have at least read, write, create, delete (or modify) privileges to the folder holding the database file. Not just the database .mdb file, but the entire folder. 2. Open the database and go to Tools, Options, and Advanced Tab. Set the Default Open mode to Shared and the Default Record Locking to Edited Record. (...

remote connections
In SS2K , how to enable remote connections ? For example, from my machine, within SEM I'd like to create a "New SQL Server Registration" connection to that machine. This has always worked for me in the past, but today I've encountered an SS2K instance which gives me a "SQL Server does not exist or access denied. ConnectionOpen (Connect())" error. Does it matter if the target instance is configured as "Windows Authentication" vs "Mixed Mode" ? I'm attempting the "New SQL Server Registration" via Windows Authentication. I...

OLEDB connection from Access to RMS
I am well-versed in the design and development of database applications, and want to connect to the RMS store operations database via MS Access. I need help configuring the OLEDB settings in Access to connect to the RMS store operations database. I would be very grateful if someone could tell me the settings that need to be selected to make the connection. -- FRB hi FRB, here are the settings: Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Password=sa;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=sa;Initial Catalog=RMSSample;Data Source=RMSServer the Catalog is your database name and Data Source is Name of RMS Server. Ra...

Outlook '03 crashes when accessing delegate mailbox
Hello all, We have a group of people using Office 2003 w/SP1 against Exchange 2000. The secretaries have editor permissions on their boss's calendars and mailboxes. This all worked great back when we were using Outlook 2002. The problem didn't change when Office SP 1 was installed. Now at times the secretaries get errors when trying to access calendars (unable to open folder) and on one of them as soon as she clicks the boss's mailbox Outlook crashes. The secretaries' machines are set to open the additional mailboxes on login. Oh, one more thing: the Exchange server is adminis...