Recommended backup solutions for Small Business Server 2008

Hi,
I have a customer with a SBS2008 server with 3TB of data and does not want
to use the built in SBS2008 backup.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to backup software for Small
Business Server 2008 ?

ShadowProtect Server (make sure you look at the SBS version, which is the
same in every way except cost).  I would (and did) get the free trial and
give it a run first.  http://www.storagecraft.com/

The built-in backup rocks, but I suspect that's not the conversation you're
looking for : -)

"Michael" <michael.green@solventgreen.com.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a customer with a SBS2008 server with 3TB of data and does not want
> to use the built in SBS2008 backup.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations as to backup software for Small
> Business Server 2008 ?

0
Dave
5/17/2010 11:33:52 PM
The built in backup software of SBS 2008 is really quite good.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Michael" <michael.green@solventgreen.com.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a customer with a SBS2008 server with 3TB of data and does not want
> to use the built in SBS2008 backup.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations as to backup software for Small
> Business Server 2008 ?

0
Charlie
5/17/2010 11:43:54 PM
I have been using BackupAssist with a lot of success on SBS2003 boxes.  The
SBS2008 built in backup is quite good so I'm debating my new servers using
just that or ShadowCopy.

"Michael" <michael.green@solventgreen.com.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a customer with a SBS2008 server with 3TB of data and does not want
> to use the built in SBS2008 backup.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations as to backup software for Small
> Business Server 2008 ?

0
Richard

VSS and Snapshots/Clones log purging and mixing backup types
I would really appreciate if anyone could answer the following questions for me as we are looking into the use of iSCSI block storage and snapshot technology: 1. Is a snapshot capable of being rolled forward in the event of a DB failure/corruption to provide a no-loss restore in the event of DB corruption? 2. Can a snapshot be mounted into an RSG? 3. Can agent based conventional backups be mixed with VSS backups? 4. If snapshotting is used how are log files purged? 5. As snapshots are deltas are backed up clones required in order to protect from disk failures? The original data needs to b...

How do I remove electronic business cards from the 'insert busine.
I have electronic cards added by mistake in the dropdown list. I would like to undo them. ...

Hardware and Software Recommendations?
Hi, I work for a non-profit agency, and have a server I need to replace. Cost is a factor, but I want to buy something that will last for several years, so I'm trying to find the right mix of price/performance. We have a SBS 2003 server and 3 Windows 2003 servers. The machine I need to replace is one of the Win 2003 servers. It currently acts as a DC, print and file server. I have 2 mirrored EIDE drives for the OS and I have 2 mirrored 250Gb EIDE drives that have user shared folders on them, with about 150Gb in use. I also have a couple of 3rd party apps that will need...

Pre and post script for Exchange 2007 backup
How would I do a pre-backup and post-backup script for my clustered exchange 2007 environment? An example on how to set archive bit is available at: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.dataprotectionmanager&mid=c8627b13-acc8-4f91-b751-9a2fa0f33f5d&sloc=en-us Please find more information about using the pre/post scripts for other data source like exchange and others at:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808870.aspx Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and c...

Software Recommendation
Hello, I don't usually post a recommendation for software that helps out the software developers, however today is different. A little while ago I was looking around on the internet for programs, and I stumbled across an application that will analyze a computer program, and will tell you what DLLs and other files (like OCXs) that the application needs in order for it to run. This program is called Dependcy and can be found at: http://camtech2000.com/Pages/Useful.html I hope everyone will try this software, because it sure has helped me find out what files my software needs at r...

help with backup exec 9.1
> Job Log for TestRun 0025 > > > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > > > Completed status: Failed Expand AllCollapse All > Job Information > Server name : TOWNSQUARE-OFFIJob name : TestRun 0025Job log : C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEX00066.xmlDevice name : > > > Test Run Job Information > Credentials CheckDevice : \\TOWNSQUARE-OFFI, D:Check status : SuccessDevice : \\TOWNSQUARE-OFFI, C:Check status : SuccessDevice : \\TOWNSQUARE-OFFI, \\TOWNSQUARE-OFFI\<...

Business Portal #17
Does anyone try to develop a page on top of Business Portal? My case as below: a) Create new login page instead of using Windows Authentication Windows b) Pop up a list of customer's account that allow users to select which account that they want to use . c) After the selection, the system will login to Business Portal automatically. For item (c), is there any BP web service that allow developer to use for login automatically? Thanks. Jim ...

Exchange Server Migration
We created a new exchange server in a new exchange environment in a new Windows AD Domain. I've migrated users fine (ADMT works nicely), and migrated their email using Exchange Migration Wizard. We noticed that any email in a users Outlook, that was prior to the migration, bounced back when they replied to one of the older messages. I updated Recipient polices to give everyone their old X.400 address in addition to their new address; yet users are still bouncing email when they reply to an older message in their Outlook. Here's a sample error message: "The following rec...

Backup of databases
Is it enough to backup only HQ database or do we have to backup individual store database? If a certain store database goes down, can we restore that store database by exporting it from HQ? If yes, please tell how to do it. Thanks. Raymond Raymond, While I think it can be done, you should be backing up both and having multiple copies of each. -- = "Raymond Cheok" <raymondcheok@fareastflora.com> wrote in message news:BFE451F9.141C7%raymondcheok@fareastflora.com... > Is it enough to backup only HQ database or do we have to backup individual > store database? If a c...

Problem with data connector on Multi server deployment
I have a problem with Data Connector in Multi Server Environment, where I am able to see Reports on the server but I am not able to see Reports when they accessed from other machines. And also I am not able to install MS Dyn CRM Data Connector as it is showing error message Data Connector Installation Issue. Error Details A Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server component is using the same account as the instance of SQL Server Reporting Services that you specified. I am getting error after clicking View Report in MSCRM 4.0 when i am accessing MSCRM application from my PC. Note: Reports are worki...

OL2007
Hello I have the Outlook PF Backup for 2003 installed in Outlook 2007, there is no 2007 of the utility and I read that the 2003 version of PF Backup is compatible with OL2007. Having got the add-in installed on both laptop and desktop, it works OK on the Laptop but the desktop seems to be having a problem. The PF Backup first worked fine, however sometimes the Backup option in the File menu is missing, next, when I asked it to backup and close outlook, it then said that the portion of the file was locked, I found out that it was caused by Nokia Mobile Phone Synchronization and also an...

CRM Server components for Outlook
I am able to use IE for CRM. I would now like to install CRM for Outlook. During the installation, I am asked for the CRM server, I type in the server but the program says it can not find the CRM server components. Any suggestions? >-----Original Message----- >I am able to use IE for CRM. I would now like to install >CRM for Outlook. During the installation, I am asked for >the CRM server, I type in the server but the program says >it can not find the CRM server components. > >Any suggestions? >. >What version of Outlook are you running? If Outlook 2000 ...

Money 2006 Primiuim Vrs 2007 Home and Business
I've been using Money 2006 Premium for three years. I've been given a (legal) CD version of Money 2007 home and business. Money 2006 takes 60 seconds to load on my Dell Dimension 4600 with 150 GB’s of RAM. Is there any advantage replacing 2006 Pre. with 2007 H$B? If I do install 2007, is it better to remove version 2006 first? In microsoft.public.money, Sling wrote: >I've been using Money 2006 Premium for three years. I've been given a >(legal) CD version of Money 2007 home and business. Money 2006 takes 60 >seconds to load on my Dell Dimension 4600 wit...

Book Recommendation Needed
Can anyone suggest a good book or other source of comprehensive information about C++ as implemented in Visual Studio 2008? I learned a lot about C from various books, particularly the Waite Group's "Microsoft C Bible," which is very useful. I was introduced to C++ by studying the Gurewich book "Teach Yourself Visual C++ 4 in 21 Days." Again, very useful, but much of it doesn't relate to the current version of C++. I'm struggling to learn how to use the current version of C++. Microsoft's Help files indeed contain a lot of information, but most topics...

ODBC SQL Server Driver
Was attempting to do a historical aged trial balance I get the error message "[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]General network error. Check your network documentation." I have checked the server and it has all of the latest patches including the newest MDAC. Any help anyone can provide with this error would be greatly appreciated. Pardon me if this sounds trite but it burned me at a site once......Did you check the service packs of MS-SQL on the server?? Richard L. Whaley Author/Consultant www.AccoladePublications.com "sgreer" wrote: > Was attemp...

Small Bus 2004 Printing inventory
I am using MS Money Sm Bus 2004 and I can print my inventory, but I want to print my inventory alphabetically but after I start adding more inventory it just prints each inventory by date added, how can I get it to print it alphabetically? Please help Thanks in advance. Justin ...

Backup strategy with torn page detection on?
I have 2005 and planning to turn on the torn page detection at the database level.. If I do a full backup with Init and checksum on and if sql server encouters a torn page while doing a full backup, does it still over write the previous backup with an error msg or it leaves the previous backup intact with an erro msg? This is urgent.. Please clarify.. Bero (robertatnova@gmail.com) writes: > I have 2005 and planning to turn on the torn page detection at the > database level.. > > If I do a full backup with Init and checksum on and if sql server > encouters a torn p...

[ANN] Technology Guarantee program ends March 31st, 2008
The Technology Guarantee program ends March 31st, 2008. Most likely this is the last promotion we will see for Office 2008. The Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Technology Guarantee program allows customers who purchase an edition of Office 2004 for Mac to receive an edition of Office 2008 for the cost of shipping, handling plus applicable tax. Continue reading "Technology Guarantee ends March 31" � <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2008/03/technology_guarantee_ends_march_31.h tml> <http://tinyurl.com/3x3ba4> -- Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)...

Business Portal and Sharepoint Portal Server
I followed the instructions in the White Paper to allow these two to coexist on the same server. Unfortunately now the Office 2003 Shared Workplace side bar only works with the Business Portal WSS site and not with any of the sites which form part of SPS. Urgent assistance needed... ...

Backup Exec 9.0 and individual mailboxes
Hi, I have the well known problem in Backup Exec 8.6 when I backup up indivial mailboxes from MS Exchnage 5.5 ---------------------------- "WARNING: "<mailbox>?Top of Information Store?Sent Items?<e-mail subject> is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify." ----------------------------- Any of you have any expirence with backing up individual mailboxes with Backup Exc 9.0 ? Is the problem still there, or................?? ...

You cannot successfully perform an online backup
Hi. I'm having the problem described in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=889528 anyone has the "FIXED" ese.dll ? Regards Ahood Kappon PC Computers LTD. You can call up PSS and request the fix for no charge. 1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676) -- Steve Antonio, MCSE/MCSA Exchange Support This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are b...

Who could recommend me an article about class CListView?
Hello all: I want to know well the class CListView in detail, such as style,extended style,and message,and so on, Who could recommend me an article about class CListView? Thank you very much. "Lee Tow" <fbjlt@pub3.fz.fj.cn> wrote in message news:%23PCH3dPNGHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hello all: > I want to know well the class CListView in detail, > such as style,extended style,and message,and so on, > Who could recommend me an article about class CListView? > Thank you very much. > > Here's a place to start. From this link, you'l...

Read-Only Recommended
Is it possible to set a document as Read-Only Recommended in Office 2007? It was pretty easy to do so in 2003 but I cannot find the option in 2007. On May 17, 5:49=A0pm, adlerdm <adle...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is it possible to set a document as Read-Only Recommended in Office 2007?= =A0It > was pretty easy to do so in 2003 but I cannot find the option in 2007. WORD 2007 1. Review / Protect group / click on on Protect Document / the Restict Formatting and Editing Task Pane should open on the right hand side. 2. In:- 2. Editing restrictions - p...

Help: message "Requesting data from Exchange Server"
Has anyone figure out why we receive the pop-up message "Requesting data from Exchange Server" when we try to open an email in outlook? We are using Exchange 2000. Is there a parameter we can change to fix this issue? "Kenny" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Has anyone figure out why we receive the pop-up >message "Requesting data from Exchange Server" when we >try to open an email in outlook? We are using Exchange >2000. > >Is there a parameter we can change to fix this issue? Depends to a greater or lesser extent ...

Where is "Business 2" field in Outlook within Active Directory?
In Outlook 2003 there is a field under Phone/Notes called "Business 2". In active directory, for Exchange 2003, where is this field so we can insert a number? Thanks, -Bob This is a second business phone number. I don't think this is exposed anywhere in the ADUC GUI. The attribute is otherTelephone (I think). You could enter them through ADSIEdit (painful and NOT the place to send a junior admin). Or you could write a web interface to do this. :-) Contact me offline if you want to know more (jim (at) cta.net) -- Jim McBee Blog - http://mostlyexchange.blogspot....