New SBS2008 domain Outlook won't setup on last two devices: suspect firewall

New site almost finished. Office is a bunch of PhD engiineer types that have
to fiddle with stuff. Also they all know MS stuff sucks.
Last two workstations (Vista and XP) joined to domain fine. Open Outlook
2007 and it stalls and never sets up profile, error must be connected to
server to work! Network fully visible.

I believe owner has 'tinkered' with sbs2008 firewall during this time.

Need pointer on when next to go. Could firewall change stop the setup? TIA

0
Guzzifrank

Did you create users with wizards
did you connect the PC's with http://connnect
is the DHCP server the SBS?
Is Exchange Rollup 2 installed?
Are the PC's Dynamic IP and they all show the SBS has it's DNS server?

If above is correct
re join them with the http://connect

Russ

--
Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC

"Guzzifrank" <flbritton@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> New site almost finished. Office is a bunch of PhD engiineer types that
> have to fiddle with stuff. Also they all know MS stuff sucks.
> Last two workstations (Vista and XP) joined to domain fine. Open Outlook
> 2007 and it stalls and never sets up profile, error must be connected to
> server to work! Network fully visible.
>
> I believe owner has 'tinkered' with sbs2008 firewall during this time.
>
> Need pointer on when next to go. Could firewall change stop the setup? TIA

0
Russ
4/25/2010 11:26:22 AM
They were connected as per standard. The user MAY have made them static, I
will double check.

"Russ SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]" <russ@REMOVETHIS.sbits.biz> wrote in message
> Did you create users with wizards
> did you connect the PC's with http://connnect
> is the DHCP server the SBS?
> Is Exchange Rollup 2 installed?
> Are the PC's Dynamic IP and they all show the SBS has it's DNS server?
>
> If above is correct
> re join them with the http://connect
>
> Russ
>
> --
> Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
> MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC
> Small Business Server/Computer Support - www.SBITS.Biz
> Question or Second Opinion - www.PersonalITConsultant.com
> BPOS - Microsoft Online Services - www.BPOSMadeEasy.com
> http://www.twitter.com/SBITSdotBiz
>
> "Guzzifrank" <flbritton@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> New site almost finished. Office is a bunch of PhD engiineer types that
>> have to fiddle with stuff. Also they all know MS stuff sucks.
>> Last two workstations (Vista and XP) joined to domain fine. Open Outlook
>> 2007 and it stalls and never sets up profile, error must be connected to
>> server to work! Network fully visible.
>>
>> I believe owner has 'tinkered' with sbs2008 firewall during this time.
>>
>> Need pointer on when next to go. Could firewall change stop the setup?
>> TIA

0
Guzzifrank
4/25/2010 3:57:54 PM
All dynamic, flushed dns on desktop, open Outlook 2007 with me logged in
(have already setup account on other desktops)
The action cannot be completed. the name cannot be matched to a name in the
address list.

Samt on the last three devices to be place on the domain, all with
http://connect
Does same error with any user logged on.

"Russ SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]" <russ@REMOVETHIS.sbits.biz> wrote in message
> Did you create users with wizards
> did you connect the PC's with http://connnect
> is the DHCP server the SBS?
> Is Exchange Rollup 2 installed?
> Are the PC's Dynamic IP and they all show the SBS has it's DNS server?
>
> If above is correct
> re join them with the http://connect
>
> Russ
>
> --
> Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
> MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC
> Small Business Server/Computer Support - www.SBITS.Biz
> Question or Second Opinion - www.PersonalITConsultant.com
> BPOS - Microsoft Online Services - www.BPOSMadeEasy.com
> http://www.twitter.com/SBITSdotBiz
>
> "Guzzifrank" <flbritton@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> New site almost finished. Office is a bunch of PhD engiineer types that
>> have to fiddle with stuff. Also they all know MS stuff sucks.
>> Last two workstations (Vista and XP) joined to domain fine. Open Outlook
>> 2007 and it stalls and never sets up profile, error must be connected to
>> server to work! Network fully visible.
>>
>> I believe owner has 'tinkered' with sbs2008 firewall during this time.
>>
>> Need pointer on when next to go. Could firewall change stop the setup?
>> TIA

0
Guzzifrank
4/25/2010 4:19:10 PM
Restarted SBS2008 server and problem has changed.

Can now open Outlook 2007 on the new machines under my user ID but need to
send/receive to get data. Am asked for domain id and password each time.

I have reun Exchange Best practice and still same as on day one with no real
errors (journal on same server as exchange  etc).

I am very worried about the status of this exchange server.

"Guzzifrank" <flbritton@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> New site almost finished. Office is a bunch of PhD engiineer types that
> have to fiddle with stuff. Also they all know MS stuff sucks.
> Last two workstations (Vista and XP) joined to domain fine. Open Outlook
> 2007 and it stalls and never sets up profile, error must be connected to
> server to work! Network fully visible.
>
> I believe owner has 'tinkered' with sbs2008 firewall during this time.
>
> Need pointer on when next to go. Could firewall change stop the setup? TIA

0
Guzzifrank
4/25/2010 5:51:40 PM
Install Exchange Roll up 9
and see if it fixes it
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=55320be2-c65c-48bb-bab8-6335aa7d008c&displaylang=en
Russ

--

> Restarted SBS2008 server and problem has changed.
>
> Can now open Outlook 2007 on the new machines under my user ID but need to
> send/receive to get data. Am asked for domain id and password each time.
>
> I have reun Exchange Best practice and still same as on day one with no
> real errors (journal on same server as exchange  etc).
>
> I am very worried about the status of this exchange server.
>
> "Guzzifrank" <flbritton@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> New site almost finished. Office is a bunch of PhD engiineer types that
>> have to fiddle with stuff. Also they all know MS stuff sucks.
>> Last two workstations (Vista and XP) joined to domain fine. Open Outlook
>> 2007 and it stalls and never sets up profile, error must be connected to
>> server to work! Network fully visible.
>>
>> I believe owner has 'tinkered' with sbs2008 firewall during this time.
>>
>> Need pointer on when next to go. Could firewall change stop the setup?
>> TIA

0
Russ
4/25/2010 6:18:52 PM
Server is already SP2

> Install Exchange Roll up 9
> and see if it fixes it
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=55320be2-c65c-48bb-bab8-6335aa7d008c&displaylang=en
> Russ
>
> --
> Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
> MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC
> Small Business Server/Computer Support - www.SBITS.Biz
> Question or Second Opinion - www.PersonalITConsultant.com
> BPOS - Microsoft Online Services - www.BPOSMadeEasy.com
> http://www.twitter.com/SBITSdotBiz
>
> "Guzzifrank" <flbritton@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> Restarted SBS2008 server and problem has changed.
>>
>> Can now open Outlook 2007 on the new machines under my user ID but need
>> to send/receive to get data. Am asked for domain id and password each
>> time.
>>
>> I have reun Exchange Best practice and still same as on day one with no
>> real errors (journal on same server as exchange  etc).
>>
>> I am very worried about the status of this exchange server.
>>
>> "Guzzifrank" <flbritton@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>> New site almost finished. Office is a bunch of PhD engiineer types that
>>> have to fiddle with stuff. Also they all know MS stuff sucks.
>>> Last two workstations (Vista and XP) joined to domain fine. Open Outlook
>>> 2007 and it stalls and never sets up profile, error must be connected to
>>> server to work! Network fully visible.
>>>
>>> I believe owner has 'tinkered' with sbs2008 firewall during this time.
>>>
>>> Need pointer on when next to go. Could firewall change stop the setup?
>>> TIA

0
Guzzifrank
4/25/2010 7:25:39 PM
When you login as another user on those same PCs does Outlook set up
correctly?
or when they login to another PC, they can configure outlook just fine?

if so
Try deleting that users profile
and recreating it, it could be a corrupt profile.

If you suspect the Engineers of Messing with things
I hope you work on per Hour Basis and not Flat rate. :)
Russ

--

> Server is already SP2
>
> "Russ SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]" <russ@REMOVETHIS.sbits.biz> wrote in message
>> Install Exchange Roll up 9
>> and see if it fixes it
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=55320be2-c65c-48bb-bab8-6335aa7d008c&displaylang=en
>> Russ
>>
>> --
>> Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
>> MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC
>> Small Business Server/Computer Support - www.SBITS.Biz
>> Question or Second Opinion - www.PersonalITConsultant.com
>> BPOS - Microsoft Online Services - www.BPOSMadeEasy.com
>> http://www.twitter.com/SBITSdotBiz
>>
>> "Guzzifrank" <flbritton@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>> Restarted SBS2008 server and problem has changed.
>>>
>>> Can now open Outlook 2007 on the new machines under my user ID but need
>>> to send/receive to get data. Am asked for domain id and password each
>>> time.
>>>
>>> I have reun Exchange Best practice and still same as on day one with no
>>> real errors (journal on same server as exchange  etc).
>>>
>>> I am very worried about the status of this exchange server.
>>>
>>> "Guzzifrank" <flbritton@shaw.ca> wrote in message

0
Russ
4/25/2010 8:15:01 PM
There a funny smart bunch or people. They don't think outside the box but
build a new box each time, or maybe an orb!
> When you login as another user on those same PCs does Outlook set up
> correctly?
> or when they login to another PC, they can configure outlook just fine?
>
> if so
> Try deleting that users profile
> and recreating it, it could be a corrupt profile.
>
> If you suspect the Engineers of Messing with things
> I hope you work on per Hour Basis and not Flat rate. :)
> Russ
>
> --
> Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
> MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC
> Small Business Server/Computer Support - www.SBITS.Biz
> Question or Second Opinion - www.PersonalITConsultant.com
> BPOS - Microsoft Online Services - www.BPOSMadeEasy.com
> http://www.twitter.com/SBITSdotBiz
>
> "Guzzifrank" <flbritton@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> Server is already SP2
>>
>> "Russ SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]" <russ@REMOVETHIS.sbits.biz> wrote in message
>>> Install Exchange Roll up 9
>>> and see if it fixes it
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=55320be2-c65c-48bb-bab8-6335aa7d008c&displaylang=en
>>> Russ
>>>
>>> --
>>> Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
>>> MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC
>>> Small Business Server/Computer Support - www.SBITS.Biz
>>> Question or Second Opinion - www.PersonalITConsultant.com
>>> BPOS - Microsoft Online Services - www.BPOSMadeEasy.com
>>> http://www.twitter.com/SBITSdotBiz
>>>
>>> "Guzzifrank" <flbritton@shaw.ca> wrote in message

0
Guzzifrank
4/25/2010 11:56:30 PM
Added last new workstation, Windows 7 Pro. I created a new admin account for
myself and ran connect process using it. Joined domain but my outlook asks
for domain credential to download mail.

All users on all workstations now have to do this.

> There a funny smart bunch or people. They don't think outside the box but
> build a new box each time, or maybe an orb!
> "Russ SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]" <russ@REMOVETHIS.sbits.biz> wrote in message
>> When you login as another user on those same PCs does Outlook set up
>> correctly?
>> or when they login to another PC, they can configure outlook just fine?
>>
>> if so
>> Try deleting that users profile
>> and recreating it, it could be a corrupt profile.
>>
>> If you suspect the Engineers of Messing with things
>> I hope you work on per Hour Basis and not Flat rate. :)
>> Russ
>>
>> --
>> Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
>> MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC
>> Small Business Server/Computer Support - www.SBITS.Biz
>> Question or Second Opinion - www.PersonalITConsultant.com
>> BPOS - Microsoft Online Services - www.BPOSMadeEasy.com
>> http://www.twitter.com/SBITSdotBiz
>>
>> "Guzzifrank" <flbritton@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>> Server is already SP2
>>>
>>> "Russ SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]" <russ@REMOVETHIS.sbits.biz> wrote in message

0
Guzzifrank
4/27/2010 1:48:44 AM
Did you install Exchange Roll Up 9?

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 18:48:44 -0700, "Guzzifrank" <flbritton@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>Added last new workstation, Windows 7 Pro. I created a new admin account for
>myself and ran connect process using it. Joined domain but my outlook asks
>for domain credential to download mail.
>
>All users on all workstations now have to do this.
>
>"Guzzifrank" <flbritton@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> There a funny smart bunch or people. They don't think outside the box but
>> build a new box each time, or maybe an orb!
>> "Russ SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]" <russ@REMOVETHIS.sbits.biz> wrote in message
>>> When you login as another user on those same PCs does Outlook set up
>>> correctly?
>>> or when they login to another PC, they can configure outlook just fine?
>>>
>>> if so
>>> Try deleting that users profile
>>> and recreating it, it could be a corrupt profile.
>>>
>>> If you suspect the Engineers of Messing with things
>>> I hope you work on per Hour Basis and not Flat rate. :)
>>> Russ
>>>
>>> --
>>> Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
>>> MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC
>>> Small Business Server/Computer Support - www.SBITS.Biz
>>> Question or Second Opinion - www.PersonalITConsultant.com
>>> BPOS - Microsoft Online Services - www.BPOSMadeEasy.com
>>> http://www.twitter.com/SBITSdotBiz
>>>
>>> "Guzzifrank" <flbritton@shaw.ca> wrote in message

See what SBS support is working on
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/default.aspx
Check your SBS with the SBS Best Practices Analyzer
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/tags/BPA/default.aspx
0
Jim
4/27/2010 2:04:29 AM
Fresh install that went to SP2 for exchange without rollup 9.

"Jim Behning SBS MVP" <jimbehning@doesthisblockpork.mindspring.com> wrote in
message news:eghct595678hjo274vdsgoap5drj4pb7tp@4ax.com...
> Did you install Exchange Roll Up 9?
>
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 18:48:44 -0700, "Guzzifrank" <flbritton@shaw.ca>
> wrote:
>
>>Added last new workstation, Windows 7 Pro. I created a new admin account
>>for
>>myself and ran connect process using it. Joined domain but my outlook asks
>>for domain credential to download mail.
>>
>>All users on all workstations now have to do this.
>>
>>"Guzzifrank" <flbritton@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>> There a funny smart bunch or people. They don't think outside the box
>>> but
>>> build a new box each time, or maybe an orb!
>>> "Russ SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]" <russ@REMOVETHIS.sbits.biz> wrote in message

> See what SBS support is working on
> http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/default.aspx
> Check your SBS with the SBS Best Practices Analyzer
> http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/tags/BPA/default.aspx

0
Guzzifrank
4/27/2010 4:10:46 PM
I reran exchange best practice and for the first time it is showing only one
comment, firewall enabled.

Is there a list of how firewall should be set or a reset tool that I can
use? I have compared this manually with my lab sbs2008 and """believe"""
they are the same but with this error and the signing in each user must do
it almost looks like some function is blocked.
> Fresh install that went to SP2 for exchange without rollup 9.
>
> "Jim Behning SBS MVP" <jimbehning@doesthisblockpork.mindspring.com> wrote
> in message news:eghct595678hjo274vdsgoap5drj4pb7tp@4ax.com...
>> Did you install Exchange Roll Up 9?
>>
>> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 18:48:44 -0700, "Guzzifrank" <flbritton@shaw.ca>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Added last new workstation, Windows 7 Pro. I created a new admin account
>>>for
>>>myself and ran connect process using it. Joined domain but my outlook
>>>asks
>>>for domain credential to download mail.
>>>
>>>All users on all workstations now have to do this.
>>>
>>>"Guzzifrank" <flbritton@shaw.ca> wrote in message

>> See what SBS support is working on
>> http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/default.aspx
>> Check your SBS with the SBS Best Practices Analyzer
>> http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/tags/BPA/default.aspx

0
Guzzifrank

Outlook Issue #7
I am using Outlook2003SP1 with Exchange 2003. When I first start outlook and open either a message or a calendar request when I press the button(s) or select from the menu any of these functions; send, reply, forward, reply to all, accept, decline, print, permissions, follow up, previous, next basically any function nothing happens. The only things that seems to work is the close, change font and move to folder buttons/functions. Once I close the item and open it up again everything works. I have to do this for either messages or calendar items. I have tried creating a different mail prof...

Must buy new computer...Ideas?

Default properties for new folders

New Email Messages

Outlook Views
UGH, I'm gonna start screaming!!!!! I KNOW that at some point in time, I was able to view my Inbox and have my task list displayed on the right side of the "window". I could click off tasks as completed, even though I was looking at my e-mail list. But for some odd reason, that view went away and now I can't get it back. Anyone know how to set up the view so that I can be looking at my INbox message list and be able to see tasks on the right? Thanks, Elizabeth That has never been possible in Outlook unless you created or installed a custom folder home page that ...

Fax and Outlook for XP
I used to have an old PC running Windows '98 with Outlook '97 and Microsoft Fax - it was great, very easy to use as both faxes and emails would be displayed in the same place. I've just upgraded to a new PC with XP. I can load Outlook '97 but can't use Windows Messaging and so can't use Microsoft Fax or send/receive emails. 1) Is there a version of Messaging for Windows XP? 2) Is it compatible with Microsoft Fax or do I need to get another Fax? Peter The version of Fax that comes with WinXP is VERY GOOD... however, it does not "integrate" with Outlo...

New Location/New setup

Outlook 2003, Windows 7, crashing on Reminders
Hi All. I'm using Outlook 2003 SP3 on my new Windows 7 machine. All is fine in Outlook until the reminder window needs to pop up. As soon as it does, with maybe a second delay, the entire computer seizes and I need to power off to reboot. None of the reminders actually load/display in the pop-up Reminders window, though the title bar for the pop-up starts to count the number but stalls on "1 Reminder". Running Outlook in "safe" mode is just fine. The reminders pop-up opens no problem and I just continue working. Running in "normal" mode,...

Outlook 2k3 #2
I have an issue with Outloook where i want the calendar to pop up reminders, but it is not, even though all the settings clearly show that it should be bringing pop ups. I checked the advanced options and reminder options and reminders are enabled. any thoughts? wong.br@gmail.com <wong.br@gmail.com> wrote: > I have an issue with Outloook where i want the calendar to pop up > reminders, but it is not, even though all the settings clearly show > that it should be bringing pop ups. I checked the advanced options > and reminder options and reminders are enabled. > > ...

How do I activate the new mail button

Style available all sheets new or old

multiple profiles in outlook: outlook does not prompt
hello outlook gurus, i defined two profiles in outlook 2003 and changed the profile setting to prompt what profile the client wants to access when i open outlook. but when i open outlook, i'm not prompted for a profile selection and outlook is started with the profile i defined first. any ideas what is going wrong ? thanx alot tim tim braun <tim.braun@freesurf.ch> wrote: > i defined two profiles in outlook 2003 and changed the profile setting > to prompt what profile the client wants to access when i open outlook. > but when i open outlook, i'm not prompted for a pr...

Can I Display Winodws File Folder Contents in Outlook?
OL2007/Exchange: I have found how to set a particular outlook folder to display a website by seleting the home page tab under properties. Is there a way to have this display the contents of a windows file folder instead of an html file? I have tried something like c:\my documents, and even file:\\c:\my documents, but this does not seem to work. I've thought of perhaps making an html file with links to the contents of the folder and displaying that html file. Looks pretty easy, but if we add new files, etc., then the html file does not get automatically updated. I know this is a stran...

saving emails in outlook
anyone know how i can copy my ms-outlook inbox/sent items onto an iomega zip drive? robBB <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > anyone know how i can copy my ms-outlook inbox/sent items > onto an iomega zip drive? Create a new PST. Copy to it everything you want to save. Close the PST and close Outlook. Copy the PST to the zip drive. All done. -- Brian Tillman Sorry to be so stupid but how do I create a new PST? Thnaks >-----Original Message----- >robBB <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >> anyone know how i can copy my ms-outlo...

how do i se up a repeating meeting in outlook?
Go to Chart menu > Chart Options > Meeting tab, and choose the Recurrence option in the dialog. Seriously, you should use the appropriate newsgroup. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "m haider" <m haider@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4839D3B2-34E8-47A6-BFFC-CC40DADBB9A2@microsoft.com... > ...

Outlook 2007 Rules Do not work 01-26-10
I have just upgraded outlook 2003 to outlook 2007. I am running Xp. I have a number of email accounts coming through to my outlook. I want the mail that is addressed to one of my work email accounts to be moved automatically to another sub folder of my inbox. I have tried deleting them and starting from scratch, removing any client machine specific rules and using server based rules etc and I am still stuck, I have seen a lot of posts about this problem but no real solutions. Any ideas would be very gratefully received This all used to work so well with outlook 2003 but ...

Outlook & Outlook Express on same PC
I had both Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express on my PC with Windows 98. Each was connected to different email accounts and had different messages. I want the same set up on my new PC with Windows XP Home edition. But I could only find one pst file. It had the data from Outlook. How can I find the data for the Outlook Express folders? Thank you in advance. cp OE stores data in a different file structure to OL http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/ should help David "cp" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01b901c3d897$6e31e1d0$a301280a@phx.gbl... >...

Archiving Errors in Outlook 2000
Hello there: I am having trouble autoarchiving a users mailbox. I get the same error if I try and archive the sent items or the inbox. I also get this error when trying to export to a .pst file. Error trying to archive inbox. The items either have been moved or deleted. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? It is outlook 2000 on a Exchange Server 5.5 Thanks Rebecca ...

Adding new pages

New messages comes up in Deleted folder