Migrating SBS 2003 to SBS 2008

I really appreciate your inputs regarding my dilemma and made me think to
change course with this migration and obtain private IP's for our network
instead of the public ones.  I will need now to figure out where and how to
start changing our IP's! and what is involved.

Hope after changing to private IP's, the migration will run without any
glitches.  I'm keeping me fingers and toes crossed.

If you have any suggestion or links on how or where to start to enable me
changing IP's from public to private; then PLEASE let me know.

Thank you for everything guys.

What is the edge device on your network.....  what faces the ISP?

Should be a NAT Router, and for SBS 2008 should be a "real" firewall.....
Watchguard, Sonicwall, Calyptix, Ciso or the like.

The public IP goes on the WAN side of the edge device, everything on the
LAN side is private.

-
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
issue so others may benefit
-
Get Your SBS Health Check at
www.sbsbpa.com

> I really appreciate your inputs regarding my dilemma and made me think
> to change course with this migration and obtain private IP's for our
> network instead of the public ones.  I will need now to figure out
> where and how to start changing our IP's! and what is involved.
>
> Hope after changing to private IP's, the migration will run without
> any glitches.  I'm keeping me fingers and toes crossed.
>
> If you have any suggestion or links on how or where to start to enable
> me changing IP's from public to private; then PLEASE let me know.
>
> Thank you for everything guys.

0
Larry
4/30/2010 2:17:56 PM
You buy a router and you set it to use the ip the SBS is using.
Forward the ports you need to the SBS. Set the LAN setting of the
router to something you want. The Default SBS 2003 uses 192.168.16.2
subnet of 255.255.255.0 for the SBS and many folks use 192.168.16.1 as
the router IP/gateway. You can click on change my ip on the SBS
console to easily change it. The workstations if they are getting
their IPs from DHCP should be fixed with a reboot. If not set them to
dhcp and reboot. The SBS should be set up to do DHCP, not the router.

I happen to like Sonicwalls for routers. Others like Watchguards. Some
use Netgear. In the US it seams that when you spend more than $100 you
might get to better quality routers. Sonicwall and Watchguards are a
bit more than $100 by a factor of 3-5.

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 06:58:01 -0700, Mike Johnson
<MikeJohnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I really appreciate your inputs regarding my dilemma and made me think to
>change course with this migration and obtain private IP's for our network
>instead of the public ones.  I will need now to figure out where and how to
>start changing our IP's! and what is involved.
>
>Hope after changing to private IP's, the migration will run without any
>glitches.  I'm keeping me fingers and toes crossed.
>
>If you have any suggestion or links on how or where to start to enable me
>changing IP's from public to private; then PLEASE let me know.
>
>Thank you for everything guys.
See what SBS support is working on
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/default.aspx
Check your SBS with the SBS Best Practices Analyzer
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/tags/BPA/default.aspx
0
Jim
4/30/2010 2:19:57 PM
Hello,

Thanks for your post and others' good input.

Before you can migrate your network to Windows SBS 2008, you must install and configure a router on your network, and then you must configure the Source Server to use one
network adapter. When you are done, your network will look like Figure 1 below.( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc527583(WS.10).aspx)

To configure the Source Server to use one network adapter

1.	Unplug the network adapter from the broadband connection.
 Note For more information, see the "Connect Computers on Your Network" section in "Planning Your Windows Small Business Server 2008 Network" at the Microsoft Web site
(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=104282).

2.	Install a router on your network as shown in Figure 1.
 Note For more information about installing a router, see the "Verify Your Router Setup" section in "Planning Your Windows Small Business Server 2008 Network" at the Microsoft
Web site (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=104282).

3.	To make sure that the Windows SBS 2008 installation wizard can find the router on your network, ensure that the IP address on the network adapter that is in the router
and that connects to your LAN is set to either 192.168.x.1 or 192.168.x.254, where x is a number from 1 to 254. This IP address is the default gateway address for your network. For
information about installing and configuring a router, see the documentation from your router manufacturer.

See more information here:

Verify the network configuration to prepare for Windows SBS 2008 migration
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc527583(WS.10).aspx

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Robbin Meng(MSFT)
Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support

Please post your SBS 2008 related questions to the SBS newsgroup on Connect website:
https://connect.microsoft.com/sbs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx

Please post your EBS related questions to the EBS newsgroup on Connect website:
https://connect.microsoft.com/ebs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx

If you want to use a newsreader other than a web forum to access these newsgroups,
please refer to the following blog to apply NNTP password and configure a newsreader:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2008/11/02/signing-up-for-the-sbs-2008-newsgroups.aspx

We have Outlook 2003 and wish to stop the abilty of staff to edit.
We have Outlook 2003 and wish to stop the abilty of staff to edit... Please put your question in the body of your post. The subject isn't big enough. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Des" <Des@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:445B6C35-2C3B-4BB3-BDC2-438B4281DCC5@microsoft.com... > We have Outlook 2003 and wish to stop the abilty of staff to edit... Des <Des@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

migrate
How migrate server exchange 5.5 to another exchange server 5.5 with another site and organisation ...

Outlook 2003 keeps corrupting my PST
I have used Outlook for years now, but not until 2003 have I been ready to throw it out the window. My experience has been: 1) OL constantly gets locked up forcing me to kill the process - it often pegs the processor at 100% 2) OL constantly corrupts the PST - I often have to use SCAN PST 4-5 times a day. Corruptions do not always follow lock-up, but often do. 3) I constantly get messages saying OL is low on resources and then it will not allow an operation such as saving the email (so I can restart and complete), or send 4) OL has trouble exporting to other files, moving messages to f...

Exchange 2003 Send as Permissions
Hi, I am running a 2003 Exchange server. I set the 'send as' permission via the 'Permissions' (edit ACL) tab for User1 to send on behalf of User2. This then works for around 24 hours, at which point the permissions are removed. I assume that some type of maintenance routine is removing the relevant permissions, not sure why or how however! I know you can set the 'send on behalf of' setting but this displays the mail in a way that the recipient can tell who has really sent the mail - my customer does not want this! Any suggestions (sensible ones anyway) would be great...

Exchange, Win, AD 2000 to 2003 upgrade
I'm planning out the upgrade of a 2000 AD and Exchange 2000 all on separate W2k boxes (FE & BE config) to a fully AD/Win/Exch 2003 environment. I'm planning on the following steps: 1) Upgrade Exch 2000 FE to Exch 2003 FE 2) Upgrade Exch 2000 BE to Exch 2003 BE 3) Upgrade FE to Win 2003 4) Upgrade BE to Win 2003 5) Upgrade 2000 AD to 2003 I'm trying to figure out any advantages to doing the AD upgrade before or after the Exchange upgrades. I've seen it recommended to do it first, but it seems like six of one, half a dozen of the other to me. Can't find any tech doc th...

rules not migrated when migration to Exchange 2000

Free Busy in 2003
Just installed Outlook 2003 on a new server and cannot get others free/busy information. Permissions are not the issue. Under appointment, it says no information available when setting up appointments. ...

how do I fill in a cell with text in Excel macro (2003)
Hi, I am running a macro where I copy and paste values from workbook to another. Is it possible to fill in a cell with text without having to copying it from another workbook. Kind regards, Rikin > Is it possible to fill in a cell with text without having to copying it from > another workbook. Yes Range("A1").value="Sometext" Mike "Rikin" wrote: > Hi, > > I am running a macro where I copy and paste values from workbook to another. > Is it possible to fill in a cell with text without having to copying it fro...

Look out- server dumping Outlook 2003 emails
My server is dumping Outlook 2003 e-mails before they are finally sent to people on the same e-mail network. Everyone else outside this server can recieve Outlook 2003 e-mails fine, but none on the server can? What's this server doing to me? Have anything to do with Outlook going to unicode? What mailserver are you using? Do you only have an Exchange account configured? Also contact your mail administrator to doublecheck your mailbox settings. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slip...

Exchange 2003 Startup Problems
Hello Got into the office this morning to find our exchange server not working. Getting these errors in the log file, the mailbox store won't startup. event id 455 - ESE Information Store (4888) First Storage Group: Error -1811 occurred while opening logfile D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\EXCHANGE.log\E0001E02.log. Also getting event id 9518 that the information store won't start up. Anyone have any ideas how to rectify this? The log file it's talking about doesn't exist on the machine, the last log file i have is E0001E00.log from 1.43am this morning. Thanks for you...

sender filtering on exchange 2003 server
i setup an exchange 2003 server to retreive it's e-mail from a provider's POP3 server for the time being due to the fact that the MX records haven't been changed yet. Now i enabled senderfiltering on my exchange server and it doesn't seem to work Question: Does this have anything to do with the pop3 mailbox of my provider or is there something else going on alltogether?? -- "Computers are useless, they can only give answers...." .. (Pablo Picasso) Obviously no one knows or nobody wants to help "Rik" wrote: > i setup an exchange 2003 server to re...

Migration to full 2003 exch and domain with badly named Directory
Hi I have an NT4 domain with Exch 5.5 on a BDC. The BDC is named in the format AA_BB, where the "_" character is not allowed under 2003. I understand how to rename the serveron the domain only, before upgrading the domain, but from the exchange point of view what do I do. do I have to exmerge everything and then exmerge back into a full exch 2003 fresh install do I create a new exch 2003 server on a different machine but same site as 5.5 and use the move mailbox util Ideally there would a utility I could run on the 5.5 server to rename the relevant properites prior to a...

Outlook 2003
I added the newsreader to the Go menu. It worked. I rebooted at some point and now the news item is not on the go Menu and it is not avaible to be added. Will I have to restore my system to an earlier date or is there an easier way to add it back. I have no problems working in the registry. To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch it, click the "Don't ask me again" box and then click the No ...

Groupwise to Exchange Migration
I migrated my Groupwise account as a preliminary test, deleted all of the individual emails in the mailbox, and then started the migration for all users. During the migration (the 2nd time), all of my older emails did not migrate the 2nd time, although they did migrate the first time. Is there anything that I can do, or that needs to be done, to allow all of my past emails to be migrated again? -- Richard Perry Systems Administrator/Programmer Shadow Mountain Ministries San Diego Christian College Southern California Seminary Christian Unified Schools of San Diego ...

Problem to import folders from old .PST files to Outlook 2003
Have upgraded from Outlook 2002 to Outlook 2003. I had several Personal Maps (One Map containing the E-Mail for each previous years, like Outlook2003, Outlook2002, etc.). When I try to import the old .pst Personal Maps to my new Outlook 2004 Personal Map (with the new format), the folders inside each of the Map are not visible, and I am not able to import any data at all. Is it possible to create several Personal Maps in Outlook 2004, and how to I create a new one? What do you mean by Personal Maps? Assuming you are talking about Personal Folders (PST files) they are perfectly compati...

Exchange 2003 computer account
I am running Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 network (AD). One of my admins was trying to test the exchange restore, but he screwed up. He setup a test network, isolated from production network. He tried to do restore from tape, etc, etc. I still don't know exactly what he did, but our production exchange is not part of network anymore.. I notice the Exchange server name was missing from Exchange Domain Servers groups in AD. So I added back in. The computer name is still in AD. However we cannot login into Exchange server into domain. When I try to do that, I get a message that says: Window...

Can't find a link to download the Office 2003 Student and Teacher
Why can't I find the link to download Office 2003 Student and Teacher Ed? I have the product key but my original cd has gone missing... Help! Because the link doesn't exist. Contact the vendor from where you purchased it. "TRenee" <TRenee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B0832A59-9C02-462E-8614-D61AAC37DF33@microsoft.com... : Why can't I find the link to download Office 2003 Student and Teacher Ed? I : have the product key but my original cd has gone missing... Help! How to replace Microsoft software or hardware, order service p...

outlook 2003 connecting to Exchange Server 2003
I have a multihomed environment and am trying to connect my user to my exchange 2003 server. The Primary NIC is used for Internet access and the Secondary is used the connect to my Exchange server. When I setup Outlook 2003 in the Exchange Server field it always wants to resolve the server name to the FQDN. Then it searches for the public IP Address on the Primary NIC. If I ping the server name it knows which NIC to use and doesn't have a problem. How can i set it up to only look for the server name? try entering the IP address of the server instead of the name for resoluti...

Migration tool crashes when migrating from Lotus
I'm having problems with the migration tool when migrating some users. What happens is that once it starts up, the tool crashes with no error codes and the domino server crashes as well. I'm running exchange 2003 and domino 6 on win2k and I'm migrating it all on the same box. I know it says not to but I've already killed a test server because of this and don't have another one handy. As I said, I can migrate the majority of users fine, but for some reason it does not like these users. If anyone has any suggestions or has come across something like this it would...

Outlook 2003 News Reader problems
I'm having problems getting the news reader to work with Outlook 2003 Professional.... It works once and then fails and seems to point to this directory C:\Program Files\Common Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033 That is when it shows up in the Go menu... most of the time the link is not there... Any ideas... I hate having to use OX to view newsgroups... sort of defeats the purpose... Steve You hate "having to use OX to view newsgroups?" What did you think you were using before? OE has always been the news reader for Outlook. Configure it as such in Control Panel > Internet option...

Exchange 2003 Statistics
How do you find out the number of emails your Exchange server processes per day? Senior administration loves these statistics but I don't know where to extract this information. Looking for the number of emails sent internally vs. externally. Message Tracking logs, PerfMon, 3rd party products (you can start your research at www.quest.com). Shawn wrote: > How do you find out the number of emails your Exchange server processes per > day? Senior administration loves these statistics but I don't know where to > extract this information. Looking for the number of emails s...

Outlook 2003 #288
I am using an outlook connected to exchange server for my emails. when i'm not on cached mode, i can successfully send a "do not deliver before" prescribed time email. the exchange will put my message into the some kind of "deferred queue" and exchange will deliver the email at the time specified even though i dont have my outlook running at when the time comes because of that "deferred queue". but when I'm in cached mode. that email just sits there in my outbox and it doesn't actually being sent out to the server "deferred queue". The reaso...

Uninstalling and downgrading from 2007 to 2003
Ok, here we go. My beta just expired and I would like to downgrade back to my old office 2003. What do I need to backup? and How do I do it? I need EVERYTHING from outlook. Mails, Folders, Tasks, Notes and Calendar items. Import/Export seems to be disabled. Please help me. Thanks, emp emp <mklinge@gmail.com> wrote: > Ok, here we go. > My beta just expired and I would like to downgrade back to my old > office 2003. > What do I need to backup? and How do I do it? > > I need EVERYTHING from outlook. Mails, Folders, Tasks, Notes and > Calendar items. Since Outlo...

Exch 5.5 to 2003 ADMT \ ADC migration order question
Hi guys. I've been reading posts and performing tests in the run up to a Exchange 5.5 to 2003 intra-org migration. In everyone's opinion, which is the best order -> ADC (not enabled) -> ADMT to create new AD account (run in batches) -> ADClean to marry disabled place holder and new account (run in batches) -> movemailbox ( in batches as part of rolling migration) The above seems to have issues with no self rights so if you remove SIDhistory after the migration is done, wont the systems permission go bang as it's masking the lack of self rights? OR....... -&g...

Server 2003
I am getting an error message while running the database on Server 2003. The error is at the terminals of something to the effect of Cannot Recognize the Database. Some here think it has to do with permissions for the server. Right now we are running the database on computer attached to the network through the server, but that isn't really what we want. Any help? We use Win2003 without any problems. In fact I upgraded one last night to SQL Express. I suppose that the log in and password for the database could be wrong. We use SQL authentication, not windows authentication. C...