Migrating SBS 2003 to 2008 Standard R2

I am having some issues migrating SBS2003 to a 2008 Server R2 standard.

I have transferred all FSMO roles over to the 2008 Server. As well as,
DHCP and DNS. There is no need for me to setup or migrate Exchange
settings since my client is no longer using exchange. When I shut off
the SBS 2003 Server. AD on the 2008 Server errors out. Basically it's
saying that the domain cannot be located or that it does not exist. So
there is obviously something that I have forgotten. Any help on this
would be greatly appreciated. Also it doesn't look like the SYSVOL
Folder has transferred correctly either.

Thanks in advance!

--
techsquared
techsquared's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/246488.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
techsquared

If you did not get domain replication to the SBS 2008, can you fall back
to start over?

If you aren't using Exchange, what are you doing that is SBS specific?

-Larry

-Please post the resolution to your issue  so others may benefit.

-Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com

> I am having some issues migrating SBS2003 to a 2008 Server R2
> standard.
>
> I have transferred all FSMO roles over to the 2008 Server. As well as,
> DHCP and DNS. There is no need for me to setup or migrate Exchange
> settings since my client is no longer using exchange. When I shut off
> the SBS 2003 Server. AD on the 2008 Server errors out. Basically it's
> saying that the domain cannot be located or that it does not exist. So
> there is obviously something that I have forgotten. Any help on this
> would be greatly appreciated. Also it doesn't look like the SYSVOL
> Folder has transferred correctly either.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Larry
7/19/2010 12:33:49 PM
techsquared wrote:

> I am having some issues migrating SBS2003 to a 2008 Server R2
> standard.
>
> I have transferred all FSMO roles over to the 2008 Server. As well as,
> DHCP and DNS. There is no need for me to setup or migrate Exchange
> settings since my client is no longer using exchange. When I shut off
> the SBS 2003 Server. AD on the 2008 Server errors out. Basically it's
> saying that the domain cannot be located or that it does not exist. So
> there is obviously something that I have forgotten. Any help on this
> would be greatly appreciated. Also it doesn't look like the SYSVOL
> Folder has transferred correctly either.

Start by using DCDiag.

It doesn't sound to me like the new domain controller is fully
operational yet.

Note that if you don't intend to retain Exchange in the overall
environment, you *need* to uninstall it from the SBS and cleanly remove
Exchange from the network. You *don't* simply "turn off" Exchange.

--
Steve Foster
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:
https://netshop.virtual-isp.net
0
Steve
7/19/2010 1:04:58 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. The new Server is 2008 Standard x64 not an
SBS 2008, I just wanted to clear that up. I had not uninstalled exchange
on the old sbs 2003 server simply because of public folder reasons but,
I intend on doing this today. I'm assuming replication is not working
correctly because of the SYSVOL folder has not copied over correctly. As
far as "falling back" what do you mean by that Larry? Do I transfer the
FSMO roles back to the SBS 2003? As well as, make it a global catalog
again. Then transfer everything back to the new 2008 server? I had to
prepare the sbs2003 AD originally in order for me to introduce the 2008
Server in the domain so, I was able to do that with no problem. The FSMO
roles transferred over fairly easy... it just seems that Replications
between the two servers has not completed yet. Neither have any group
policy objects. Do I have to transfer Group Policy objects from the old
sbs2003 server to the new 2008 server or is that something that takes
place when replication completes? I guess I'm just not too clear on
that.

Thanks again guys... This is driving me crazy :)

--
techsquared
techsquared's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/246488.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/small-business-server/1353241.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
techsquared
7/19/2010 4:17:10 PM
techsquared wrote:
> I am having some issues migrating SBS2003 to a 2008 Server R2
> standard.
>
> I have transferred all FSMO roles over to the 2008 Server. As well as,
> DHCP and DNS. There is no need for me to setup or migrate Exchange
> settings since my client is no longer using exchange. When I shut off
> the SBS 2003 Server. AD on the 2008 Server errors out. Basically it's
> saying that the domain cannot be located or that it does not exist. So
> there is obviously something that I have forgotten. Any help on this
> would be greatly appreciated. Also it doesn't look like the SYSVOL
> Folder has transferred correctly either.
>
> Thanks in advance!

DNS is used by DC, server, and workstations alike to find Active Directory
Services. All DNS client settings should now reference the new 2008 R2
Server's IP address and have no reference to the old SBS server. If that's
all done then proceed to the DCDiag/ netdiags/ (and R2 has built in Best
Practice Analyzers).

--
/kj

0
kj
7/19/2010 6:37:28 PM
techsquared wrote:
> Thanks for the replies guys. The new Server is 2008 Standard x64 not
> an SBS 2008, I just wanted to clear that up. I had not uninstalled
> exchange on the old sbs 2003 server simply because of public folder
> reasons but, I intend on doing this today. I'm assuming replication
> is not working correctly because of the SYSVOL folder has not copied
> over correctly. As far as "falling back" what do you mean by that
> Larry? Do I transfer the FSMO roles back to the SBS 2003? As well as,
> make it a global catalog again. Then transfer everything back to the
> new 2008 server? I had to prepare the sbs2003 AD originally in order
> for me to introduce the 2008 Server in the domain so, I was able to
> do that with no problem. The FSMO roles transferred over fairly
> easy... it just seems that Replications between the two servers has
> not completed yet. Neither have any group policy objects. Do I have
> to transfer Group Policy objects from the old sbs2003 server to the
> new 2008 server or is that something that takes place when
> replication completes? I guess I'm just not too clear on that.
>
> Thanks again guys... This is driving me crazy :)

It doesn't make much of a useable "domain controller" until sysvol and
netlogon are 'shared'.

--
/kj

0
kj
7/19/2010 11:24:16 PM
techsquared wrote:

> Thanks again guys... This is driving me crazy :)

What does DCDiag say?

--
Steve Foster
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:
https://netshop.virtual-isp.net
0
Steve
7/20/2010 9:17:49 PM
kj [SBS MVP] wrote:

> techsquared wrote:
> > I am having some issues migrating SBS2003 to a 2008 Server R2
> > standard.
> >
> > I have transferred all FSMO roles over to the 2008 Server. As well
> > as, DHCP and DNS. There is no need for me to setup or migrate
> > Exchange settings since my client is no longer using exchange. When
> > I shut off the SBS 2003 Server. AD on the 2008 Server errors out.
> > Basically it's saying that the domain cannot be located or that it
> > does not exist. So there is obviously something that I have
> > forgotten. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Also it
> > doesn't look like the SYSVOL Folder has transferred correctly
> > either.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
>
> DNS is used by DC, server, and workstations alike to find Active
> Directory Services. All DNS client settings should now reference the
> new 2008 R2 Server's IP address and have no reference to the old SBS
> server. If that's all done then proceed to the DCDiag/ netdiags/ (and
> R2 has built in Best Practice Analyzers).

Except that while introducing the new DC, all (including the new DC
itself) should be pointing to the existing DC (SBS) for DNS.

--
Steve Foster
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:
https://netshop.virtual-isp.net
0
Steve
7/20/2010 9:18:57 PM
Steve Foster wrote:
> kj [SBS MVP] wrote:
>
>> techsquared wrote:
>>> I am having some issues migrating SBS2003 to a 2008 Server R2
>>> standard.
>>>
>>> I have transferred all FSMO roles over to the 2008 Server. As well
>>> as, DHCP and DNS. There is no need for me to setup or migrate
>>> Exchange settings since my client is no longer using exchange. When
>>> I shut off the SBS 2003 Server. AD on the 2008 Server errors out.
>>> Basically it's saying that the domain cannot be located or that it
>>> does not exist. So there is obviously something that I have
>>> forgotten. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Also it
>>> doesn't look like the SYSVOL Folder has transferred correctly
>>> either.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> DNS is used by DC, server, and workstations alike to find Active
>> Directory Services. All DNS client settings should now reference the
>> new 2008 R2 Server's IP address and have no reference to the old SBS
>> server. If that's all done then proceed to the DCDiag/ netdiags/ (and
>> R2 has built in Best Practice Analyzers).
>
> Except that while introducing the new DC, all (including the new DC
> itself) should be pointing to the existing DC (SBS) for DNS.

True enough, but with the FSMO roles already transfered the cart is in front
of the horse. Reps should have already been done, but if not, then baby
steps backwards are in order, including backing up DNS clients to use the
SBS server. Gotta get replication completed as DNS (zones) are included.

--
/kj

0
kj

using 1394 (firewire) camera with Outlook 2003
I have a firewire camera that my Xp desktop SP1 sees. Howeevr when I click on camera in Outlook 2003, it keeps saying it can not find the USB camera. How do I get the firewire camera to be able to be used by the Microsoft Outlook add on where you can send and recieve video email? ...

Error 8197 with Exchange Server 2003
I daily backup my Exchange Server 2003 offline per script an taskmanager. When the services after the backup are starting, I get the error 8197, source MSExchangeFBPublish "Fehler beim Initialisieren der Sitzung für den virtuellen Computer xxx. Die Fehlernummer lautet 0x80004011d. Stellen Sie sicher, dass Microsoft Exchange Store ausgeführt wird". I need the offline-backup to have rapidly access to the .edb-file for recovering single e-mails with ontrack power controls. What can I do to avoid error 8197 Thank You ...

Migrating Quickbooks data to Great Plains
Hi, I am trying to migrate checks written in quickbooks to great plains. I need the checks to show as transactinos and also to hit the payables modules in great plains. Does anyone have a good suggestion on how to do this? Is econnect the way to go? Any help or suggestions would be great. Integration Manager is a good tool for importing data into Great Plains. If Quickbooks has a good export facility you can export the check information to a csv or Excel file and then do the import. I would recommend importing the cheques into some payables management batches. When you post these batches ...

Outlook 2003 random shut downs
I have a very weird error. First it is very sporadic issue and it happens completely out of the blue. This issue has been going on for about 3 weeks. All of the sudden, Outlook will state that it has encountered an error and needs to restart. I have sent the report to Microsoft without any results. Any ideas on how to fix this issue is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Aaron Do you use Microsoft CRM 3.0? If you do it is a known issue. Have a look at: http://blogs.inetium.com/blogs/tedh/archive/2007/01/12/782.aspx Mark On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 21:05:18 -0500, "Aaron" <apyle1...

Outlook 2003 "active" in passive mode
1) It seems that my outlook 2003 is "working" in passive mode... That is, after a while my harddrive suddenly starts chewing and I traced this activity to outlook. Question is: How do I configure outlook so that it doesn't gets a life of its own while I'm idling at the computer (my haddrive is fairly noisy so you can imagine what an annoyance this is). 2) Another, odd thing is that my "news reader" is gone. Just after I installed outlook 2003 I dragged the "news reader" from the toolmenu to the "Go to menu" but the next time I started O...

Editable .doc bound report object in Access 2003
I have a report which containers a bound word file, which allows me to edit the wording in Word. However, when I convert the database to the .mde format, I loose that functionality. Is there a setting or a way I can keep that functionality for this report in the .mde version? Thanks. ...

Zoom view Money 2003
My computer runs at a very tight resolution and I need to zoom in to read Money. Other than changing the resolution on the system, is there a way within money for a larger- zoom view? Where do I change my system to use large fonts? "Richard Bollar, MVP" <bollar@bollar.org> wrote in message news:uMQrtdtUDHA.2004@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Not really. If you change your system to use large fonts, Money will use > that setting, but my experience is that it messes up some reports. > > -- > Will you sponsor me in the Tour de Cure? > http://main.diabetes.org/site...

Opening Publisher 2000 file with Publisher 2003
I have been sent a file created in 2000, but use 2003, which says it cannot open earlier versions. Is there a download solution to this? -- Ghento Publisher 2003 will open 2000 documents. Some things to try: Disable your anti-virus software. Try opening the file in safe mode. Publisher 2000 and 2003 uses different WordArt, this could be a problem. Publisher 2003/2002 Add-in: WordArt Compatibility http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=897AA11B-A37D-4586-A1A7-54BBEA375AE2&displaylang=en How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher http://support.microsoft....

How do I get Exchange 2003 to utilize more memory?
I have a single Exchange 2003 server with 4 GIG of RAM. The Store is using 1,093,832K of RAM and 1,087,122 of VM. This fluctuates slightly. There are 2 GIGs of free memory on the server. How do I get Exchange to use more RAM? I have the /fastdetect /3GB /Userva=3030 in my boot.ini. The server also has a 1.7 GB page file. Thanks in advance, Chet Perhaps 1GB is all Exchange needs. "Chet Mlemly" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20a801c49a78$46413c90$a301280a@phx.gbl... >I have a single Exchange 2003 server with 4 GIG of RAM. > The Sto...

How can I write directly to a CD from within my app in a standard format?
I know that XP provides support for writing directly to a CD from within any app, but (a) not all my users have XP, and (b) as I understand it, XP uses a non-standard CD format when it does this. I want my users to be able to write files directly to a CD using a completely standard format so that the CD can then be read from any other PC, irrespective of what software they have for processing CDs. I don't really want to write something like that myself. What I'm really after is a freeware DLL that I can use to do it for me. Does anyone know of anything like that? TIA Simon...

unwanted repeat mail downloads
I use Yahoo Mail POP 3 email. I've got a problem where everytime I do a send/receive, every piece of mail on the server is downloaded, whether or not it's already dl'd it or not in the past. I've never had this problem with Outlook XP, not sure what's going on. I choose to "leave mail on the server", as I need to access from multiple points at times. I've seen a few posts in here about this problem, but never a solution. Can someone please assist? Interesting thing is that on my laptop, running XP and Outlook 2003, this does not occur. But on the desktop...

2003 Exchange sp2
I take it, its not wise to install Sp2 for 2003 exchange, has anyone had any luck with it at all?? I keep reading people with problems, but want to install it for its features but i dont want to do a disaster recovery if its a fluke SP!! Thanks It's running in plenty of production environments... make sure you read the Release Notes, and as with all service packs/patches/upgrades on critical systems - test before you deploy. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------- "Kidem" <jason.martina@gmail.com>...

Outlook 2003 stays resident?
When I close programs I kind of like them to close. However, with Outlook 2003, even after I close it there's an icon in the system tray, there's a copy of outlook in the task manager, and it goes on downloading my emails from the POP server. I do not want any of these things to happen after I close Outlook, so how do I stop it? I can't find anything in the help menus. That is caused by an addin which you have installed. See http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/outlookdoesntclose.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.h...

Excel 2003 math error
I have a cell that evaluates to 318.43. When I multiply that cell by 156, Excel gives me 49674.51, but the correct result, when I do the math by hand (and by Google), is 49675.08. What the ___ is going on? Hi Try extending the number of places of decimal on the first cell, and you will probably see that it is not 318.43 but something smaller (318.4263) which has been rounded to 318.43 With your evaluation formula that results in a displayed value of 318.43 in say C1, try =ROUND(C1,2)*156 -- Regards Roger Govier <cyraxote@gmail.com> wrote in message news:8801150f-5557-412d-9143-9...

reinstall Visio 2003
Hi All, We have a Visio 2003 Professional Edotion. Generally we install for users for just 50 uses and do not activate the product due to license issues. Can anyone tell us how to reinstall Visio 2003 without formating the System. Because even after reinstall after 50 uses, some of the features om Visio 2003 are disabled. Please Help me out. Thanks in advance. Venkat. ...

2003-2004 fin year calendar
I've been looking all over for a template for Australian financial year July 2003 to end June 2004. Does anyone know where I can find them. Templates I've found wont let me change date fields to accommodate above. Thanks Use six months from each year. You don't state which version of Publisher you are using, as the Calendar versions are not all the same. -- ...

Compliments to Microsoft! (Outlook 2003)
Just wanted to give Kudos to the developers at MS for Outlook 2003. We've been running it for about 2 months now. So far, literally, 100% of the email that automatically goes into the Junk Folder has been junk. 100%! That is amazing!. I expected at least a few legitimate ones to slip in there, but nope. Not one. I'm almost to the point of feeling comfortable just doing delete without even glancing at them. But not just yet :) This is a 1000% improvment over any previous programs. In fact, we have uninstalled 'Norton AntiSpam because it was only catching about 95% or less of them. ...

Exchange 2003 permissions issue.
I have a select number of administrators that need to be able to create users and groups. But I only want them to be able to create mailboxes for the user account. I need to prevent them from mail-enabling any group. It seems that even by denying them write permissions to the attributes listed in the "Working with Active Directory Permissions in Exchange Server 2003" document. They still can create a group and create the email address. Have anyone figured out how to do this? thanks for any help.... ...

Sync Outlook 2003 with Windows Live
So Outlook 2003 doesn't export/save the calendar in Ical format. Are there any valid work arounds? Does Windows Live calendar support syncing with 2003? If so can Windows Live calendar export as ICAL or does it have an Ical link capability? I just need an Ical link to be able to import into my web calendar component. I would also be open to some Outlook plugin or other software that will convert Outlook 2003 as Ical. I tried Topalt's Import/Export program but it just isn't working for us. The outlook connector syncs with live accounts and works with outlook 20...

OL 2003 "stuck" with 33mb photo attachment in Outbox?
Using software that came with a digital camera software, (OL 2003), a friend attempted to send 33mb of pix using the "send a photo via email" software. She is using an MSN broadband account so bandwidth should not be a problem. However, some limit must have been reached because the item is forever stuck in the Outbox, preventing her from sending anything else. If she tries to delete or move the item from the Outbox, she gets this alert: "Can't open this item. Outlook has already begun to send this message." Is there some way to shake this message loose and abort the p...

Outlook 2003 Folders fonts
Is there a way to change the font size of the "Favorite Folders" and "All Mail Folders" items? Thanks for your time and help, Brad ...

2003 OWA not working on one server
I have a single 2003 domain and one 2003 Exchange organisation with 2 servers in it e.g. server1, server2 OWA works fine on server1 but not on server2. All the servers were built from scratch. Server1 is for staff and Server2 for students. The default policy has been set up since Feburary with no problems one e.g. user@staff.domain1.com. I added the second server 6 weeks ago and have just started to configure it. I added a second policy e.g. user@student.domain1.com and this is when my problems started. I created a virtual directory pointing to the user@student.domain1.com but have not b...

Outlook 2003 Copying headers
Hi. I'm having a problem with Outlook 2003. For email metrics purposes, we need to copy the header information and paste it into Excel (highlight the email, ctrl-c and paste in excel). Previously this was working fine with Outlook 2000 & Excel 2000. Now when we try to copy the header information it is not giving us the full date, it only gives us the time of the email. I have tried this with Outlook 2003/Excel 2003 and Outlook 2003/Excel 2000. Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this? Bruce. Bruce Cairy wrote: > Hi. I'm having a problem with Outlook 2003....

Can you open a 2003 file in a previous version?
I have posted to these groups For nigh on a decade or more And I guess I should cease to be amazed That folk don't know what that white space is for! MS spell it out most clearly And lead them by the hand Yet they're still utterly devoid of clue What is it they don't understand?! If they don't have the cranial capacity To comprehend simple information Then it really rather baffles me How they can be using the (Publisher) application! -- Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling on salads. "dave" <dave@discussions.microsoft.com>...