Migrating AD Back to SBS

We had a domain which was working in a SBS2003 normally but since we had
to change the hardware we added a second DC which is a windows 2008 and
transferred all the roles to it, and let it working alone.

Everything is fine now with the win2008 as a only Domain Controller
We now have to reinstall back the SBS2003 and transfer everything to it
from the win2008, is that possible? is there any how-to or best
practices? As it seems that all i can do is start a new domain from scratch.

Thanks,
Chris
0
Christian

There is an official MS document for adding SBS 2003 to a Server 2003 domain,
but I am not familiar with adding to a Server 2008 domain.  Hold on a minute
and let me look....

Note the following article is silient about joining 2008 domains.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884453

I belive you could do it with a swing, the dcpromo out of the existing domain
and back into the "same" domain.  And nothing may be lost by trying the above
KB into your situation, but I have not tested it.

Where is the exchange server?  Or have you done without exchange during this
time?

-
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
issue so others may benefit
-
Get Your SBS Health Check at
www.sbsbpa.com

> We had a domain which was working in a SBS2003 normally but since we
> had to change the hardware we added a second DC which is a windows
> 2008 and transferred all the roles to it, and let it working alone.
>
> Everything is fine now with the win2008 as a only Domain Controller
> We now have to reinstall back the SBS2003 and transfer everything to
> it
> from the win2008, is that possible? is there any how-to or best
> practices? As it seems that all i can do is start a new domain from
> scratch.
> Thanks,
> Chris

0
Larry
3/16/2010 9:57:46 PM
Larry, thanks for your info!

I'm done with the Exchange server, so there is no exchange, nor mail
data, i don't care about that, mailbox will need to be created from scratch.

At the moment, they are using an external email server.

On 3/16/2010 18:57, Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] wrote:
> There is an official MS document for adding SBS 2003 to a Server 2003
> domain, but I am not familiar with adding to a Server 2008 domain. Hold
> on a minute and let me look....
>
> Note the following article is silient about joining 2008 domains.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884453
>
> I belive you could do it with a swing, the dcpromo out of the existing
> domain and back into the "same" domain. And nothing may be lost by
> trying the above KB into your situation, but I have not tested it.
>
> Where is the exchange server? Or have you done without exchange during
> this time?
>
> -
> Larry
> Please post the resolution to your
> issue so others may benefit
> -
> Get Your SBS Health Check at
> www.sbsbpa.com

0
Christian
3/16/2010 10:08:22 PM
As mentioned if you haven't raised the domain functional level above 2003 or
extended the schema for exchange 2007, you should be able to install into
the existing domain using the KB below. Also assumes that AD was cleaned up
from the previous SBS server and no 'remnants' remain.

Sill, you may find that SBS keeps the same Exchange ORG as you previously
had.

--
/kj

0
kj
3/16/2010 10:28:58 PM
I didnt raise the functional level, that is for sure, i had that in mind
as well, but i did not "clean up" anything, that is for sure as well, i
just transfered the roles and such.

I will try to work out on that KB and see what goes on.

Regards,

On 3/16/2010 19:28, kj [SBS MVP] wrote:
> As mentioned if you haven't raised the domain functional level above 2003 or
> extended the schema for exchange 2007, you should be able to install into
> the existing domain using the KB below. Also assumes that AD was cleaned up
> from the previous SBS server and no 'remnants' remain.
>
> Sill, you may find that SBS keeps the same Exchange ORG as you previously
> had.

0
Christian
3/16/2010 10:39:33 PM
Christian Reizlein wrote:
> I didnt raise the functional level, that is for sure, i had that in
> mind as well, but i did not "clean up" anything, that is for sure as
> well, i just transfered the roles and such.

So you still have the old SBS server and Exchange org information hanging
out. If you want to end up with a pure and clean SBS enviroment a swing
migration is probably going to be well worth the money and personal hand
holding (support) so things don't go badly.

--
/kj

0
kj
3/16/2010 11:02:52 PM
Sorry, i didn't understand, my english is not perfect
what you mean by a swing migration?

On 3/16/2010 20:02, kj [SBS MVP] wrote:
> Christian Reizlein wrote:
>> I didnt raise the functional level, that is for sure, i had that in
>> mind as well, but i did not "clean up" anything, that is for sure as
>> well, i just transfered the roles and such.
>
> So you still have the old SBS server and Exchange org information hanging
> out. If you want to end up with a pure and clean SBS enviroment a swing
> migration is probably going to be well worth the money and personal hand
> holding (support) so things don't go badly.

0
Christian
3/17/2010 6:07:23 PM
Christian Reizlein wrote:
> Sorry, i didn't understand, my english is not perfect
> what you mean by a swing migration?
see it all at;
http://www.sbsmigration.com/

> On 3/16/2010 20:02, kj [SBS MVP] wrote:
>> Christian Reizlein wrote:
>>> I didnt raise the functional level, that is for sure, i had that in
>>> mind as well, but i did not "clean up" anything, that is for sure as
>>> well, i just transfered the roles and such.
>>
>> So you still have the old SBS server and Exchange org information
>> hanging out. If you want to end up with a pure and clean SBS
>> enviroment a swing migration is probably going to be well worth the
>> money and personal hand holding (support) so things don't go badly.

--
/kj

0
kj

migrate
How migrate server exchange 5.5 to another exchange server 5.5 with another site and organisation ...

Cash Recon Back Office Functionality to Log Variances against Shop
Interested in RMS Addition Software to Allow Management to Reconcile Individual EPOS Shifts and to Reconcile the Cash and to Log Variance against the employee who was using the EPOS during a Shift. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsof...

rules not migrated when migration to Exchange 2000

Exchange, Win, AD 2000 to 2003 upgrade
I'm planning out the upgrade of a 2000 AD and Exchange 2000 all on separate W2k boxes (FE & BE config) to a fully AD/Win/Exch 2003 environment. I'm planning on the following steps: 1) Upgrade Exch 2000 FE to Exch 2003 FE 2) Upgrade Exch 2000 BE to Exch 2003 BE 3) Upgrade FE to Win 2003 4) Upgrade BE to Win 2003 5) Upgrade 2000 AD to 2003 I'm trying to figure out any advantages to doing the AD upgrade before or after the Exchange upgrades. I've seen it recommended to do it first, but it seems like six of one, half a dozen of the other to me. Can't find any tech doc th...

Migration to full 2003 exch and domain with badly named Directory
Hi I have an NT4 domain with Exch 5.5 on a BDC. The BDC is named in the format AA_BB, where the "_" character is not allowed under 2003. I understand how to rename the serveron the domain only, before upgrading the domain, but from the exchange point of view what do I do. do I have to exmerge everything and then exmerge back into a full exch 2003 fresh install do I create a new exch 2003 server on a different machine but same site as 5.5 and use the move mailbox util Ideally there would a utility I could run on the 5.5 server to rename the relevant properites prior to a...

Adding A Date Field To Notes
Hi. Lets say you go to an account, open it and from there select notes. We want to see a date displayed there so that we know when that note was created. Right now, the only column is "Title". How can we get a date field in there to the right? Is there a customization tab or choice I'm not seeing or is this strictly an SDK kind of thing. Thanks for any information you can provide. Sincerely, Nathan M Keller I think this is the same as an activity view in that you cannot modify the view in this release. "Nathan M Keller" <nathank@cgf.org> wrote in messag...

Groupwise to Exchange Migration
I migrated my Groupwise account as a preliminary test, deleted all of the individual emails in the mailbox, and then started the migration for all users. During the migration (the 2nd time), all of my older emails did not migrate the 2nd time, although they did migrate the first time. Is there anything that I can do, or that needs to be done, to allow all of my past emails to be migrated again? -- Richard Perry Systems Administrator/Programmer Shadow Mountain Ministries San Diego Christian College Southern California Seminary Christian Unified Schools of San Diego ...

Adding next row of formulas
I have Excel 2003 at work and want it to add the next row of formulas when enter is pressed on the last column that contains a formula. Is there an easy way to do this? At present I have a bunch of rows and columns with formulas and no data. I used sumproduct to calculate totals based on criteria and I think I can reduce the calculate time by adding dynamic ranges. This workbook is used by 2 of us and the other person has even less experience than me. Thanks, Lee > when enter is pressed Pick a different hotkey and write a macro to copy the formulas. You could even have the ma...

Migration tool crashes when migrating from Lotus
I'm having problems with the migration tool when migrating some users. What happens is that once it starts up, the tool crashes with no error codes and the domino server crashes as well. I'm running exchange 2003 and domino 6 on win2k and I'm migrating it all on the same box. I know it says not to but I've already killed a test server because of this and don't have another one handy. As I said, I can migrate the majority of users fine, but for some reason it does not like these users. If anyone has any suggestions or has come across something like this it would...

adding a field from leads to contacts & accounts
Does anyone know how to add a field to the leads object then have the data in that field carryover when converting to a contact/account/opportunity? I'm wondering if it involves adding the field to the objects then linking them somehow. Thanks, Bry Bry: Check the documentation for 'Mapping' in the deployment manager. You can map a schema attribute from one object to another there. Dave "Bry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08d701c4757f$b346e240$3501280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know how to add a field to the leads object >...

Exchange back-end not updating
I am running a front-end, back-end exchange 2003 topology. With the front-end in a DMZ. My problem is that the front-end server has been updated to SP1 without any problem but when I try to update the back-end exchange it errors stating that it cannot communicate with the front-end server to verify that it has been updated to SP1 and therefore the update fails. Does anybody have any Idea how i can fix this problem or why it is happening. What ports do you have open? I had the same problem and quickly put the OWA server on the inside network so it could talk to the server, installed the...

Adding up a column in a worksheet
I'm having trouble figuring how to add up a column that meet a condition in Sheet1 and having the results show in Sheet 2. Example of what I'm trying to do: Month Amount Category Jan 523.00 JOB1 Jan 121.00 JOB2 Jan 75.00 JOB1 Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Maybe something like this: Sum of Job1 for Jan: =SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!A1:A100="Jan"),--(Sheet1!C1:C100="Job1"),Sheet1!B1:B100) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Joseph" <Joseph@...

Exch 5.5 to 2003 ADMT \ ADC migration order question
Hi guys. I've been reading posts and performing tests in the run up to a Exchange 5.5 to 2003 intra-org migration. In everyone's opinion, which is the best order -> ADC (not enabled) -> ADMT to create new AD account (run in batches) -> ADClean to marry disabled place holder and new account (run in batches) -> movemailbox ( in batches as part of rolling migration) The above seems to have issues with no self rights so if you remove SIDhistory after the migration is done, wont the systems permission go bang as it's masking the lack of self rights? OR....... -&g...

AD users not available when adding to CRM?
Hi, I am trying to add new users to my CRM system and have had no problems on the first 3 however the final 2 are having some issues? When I use the wizard from deployment manager and it comes to the screen where you can slecet users from the AD the people I want are not in the list? They are in AD though? I have tried starting the 4 CRM services as an AD administrator instead of the local account with the same results? Why can I only see a limited list of users from the AD in the deployment manager? I do think that the people I am trying to add are old emplyees from our 2000 domain. ...

migrating from 5.5
We intend to go t Exchange 2003 and are looking for the best scenario. We would like to change our mailsite name. 1. Can we change the mailsite name, then build a new 2003 server in the same site and use the migration wizard? 2. Can we build an exchange 2003 server in the same site and then once in native mode rename the site? 3. Or do we have to build an exchange 2003 serverm in a different domain? ...

Copy new data being added automatically to sheet2
Hi, I have this sheet which i am currently working on - what i would lik to do is everytime a new bit of data is added to sheet1, i automatically updates sheet2 (which is a datastore). It has to be abl to find the next blank cell in the store so data isn't overwritten. I would prefer not to use a button but am open to suggestions. Ar there change events i could put code behind? Kind Regards, Alex The file sometimes has problems opening straight from a folder so ope excel first, and find the file through that. Cheers +---------------------------------------------------------------...

Can I operate a back office computer without a dongle?
Can I operate a back office computer without a dongle? In quicksell I was able to use the quicksell manager on the back office computer (not networked) by making a backup of the database file on the register and restoring on the back office machine... this allowed me to do invoicing, run reports, etc.. without taking the register out of service??? I've done similar for customers with laptops for home but the software will show a license problem and allow you to run in eval mode. RMS is designed to run with a network. You can set it up on a WAN connection if you want to use a s...

Adding Categories in MS Money Essentials
Just upgraded from MS Money 2005 to MS Essentials and cannot find a way to add or change category names that appear in the dropdown listing for payees? For example, I have Dining Out as a category, but would like a separate category for Coffee (yeah, from Seattle!). Thanks for any help - Will "Will_Treinen" <WillTreinen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0FD24552-F340-45C1-853B-8C1DD1AA6DDC@microsoft.com... > Just upgraded from MS Money 2005 to MS Essentials and cannot find a > way to > add or change category names that appear in the dropdown list...

How to keep SBS 2003 server running after migrating to SBS 2008
I've successfully migrated from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 on a new machine. However, I have some apps running on the old server (ACT & Quickbooks) that I'd like to keep on this machine. The documentation states 'If you want to repurpose the Source Server, the simplest way is to reformat and install a new operating system'. What's the hard way? In other words, is there a way to get the machine back in a healthy state without installing a new operating system or reformatting the hard drive so I can use it to run these apps? SBS 2003 can't be used as a demo...

folder migration
I am working on migrating outlook express folders from a old computer to Outlook 2003 on a new computer. I used the file/Import,Export feature but not all of the folders contain information. There are a total of six folders that need to be Imported. Outlook created the folders under personal folder but only two contain the messages. The other four are empty. I have tried to move them individually with no success. If anyone has a theory on how to accomplish this please let me know. Thank you. Chad ...

Adding descriptive text to formulas without interfering w/ calcula
How would I add text descriptions within formulas that would remind me what different portions of the formula are intended to perform? -- MZ In EXCEL 2007:- - right click the cell - Insert Comment If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "MZ" wrote: > How would I add text descriptions within formulas that would remind me what > different portions of the formula are intended to perform? > -- > MZ If you mean help text check out the below link http://www.jkp-ads.com/articles/RegisterUDF00.asp -- Jacob "MZ"...

Avoiding Reference errors when deleting and adding new worksheets
I have several worksheets that compile and summarize the data from different bond deals which each have their own worksheet. (In example, I have worksheets named Combined, Outstanding, and Capacity that sum the numbers from worksheets Issue A, Issue B, Issue C etc.) I would like to be able to delete and add new bond deal worksheets without having to change the formulas on the other worksheets. Can anyone please suggest a function or way to set up the summary worksheets up that won't give me #REF! errors everytime I delete and add in a new bond deal worksheet? I appreciate any help. Th...

[P2007]
Hi, I have a PM user who has just changed the login account password in AD and after that he is no longer able to login to PWA, an access denied message will show up instead. Even if I assign him as an administrator, he is still getting the same problem. He has no issue using Project Professional (with his account) to connect to the project server, it is just the PWA that he is unable to access. Did anyone encountered the same issue before? Regards Godrid Godrid: Most likely his desktop is sending the incorrect credentials. Verify that the user didn't save the passw...

adding sql server compact in platform builder wince5.0
i would use sql server compact in .net (c#) what i have to add from catalog ? - SQL Compact - SQL Mobile - SQL Server CE 2.0 i tried on a device to create a db via SqlCeEngine.CreateDatabase on sotrage card but i get error: "SQL Mobile encountered problems when creating the database" HResult : -2147024882 NativeError : 28558 there is enough space on storage card .... You add what you want to use. SQL Compact is the most-recent of those. I don't usually build the database into the OS, myself. I feel like I'd rather install it to a completed device. ...

Data Migration Question 02-19-04
OK, Perhaps I was too general and hopeful in my prior post about migrating from one domain to another (http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/previewFrame.a sp? ICP=MSCOM&sLCID=US&sgroupURL=microsoft.public.crm&sMessageI D=%253C123e501c3f59d%2524223a9100%2524a501280a@phx.gbl% 253E) I am having issues in migrating data from my test CRM system to a simulated production environment (My project manager needs to know how long it is going to take next month when we go live.) Realistically all I really want to migrate is: PriceLevelBase ProductBase ProductPriceLevelBase Subj...