Map drives with group policy

I'm trying to set up a group policy to map a network drive when our users log 
into our sbs2008 server (which was once done with loigin scripts in sbs2003). 
I have never quite made it work so I have been doing it manually. I think I 
have it set up properly because it works on our 32bit server2008 that we use 
for accounting software. I read somewhere that I need group policy client 
side extensions but when I try to push them out using wsus It says that the 
update has expired??? How do I tell if clients have the client side 
extensions installed? Is there a good set of instructions somewhere for this 
using sbs2008?
0
Utf
12/28/2009 1:41:01 PM
windows.server.sbs 1975 articles. 0 followers. Follow

5 Replies
2550 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 9

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0C55_01CA87B4.FE6BA150
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="Utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

This article can help you troubleshoot client side extensions
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216358

--=20
Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/06723295=
73/ref=3Dpd_bbs_sr_1?ie=3DUTF8&s=3Dbooks&qid=3D1217269967&sr=3D8-1
Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
A Microsoft Registered Partner
------------------------------------
MVPs do not work for Microsoft
Please do not submit questions directly to me.

  "Rod" <Rod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
news:30F5A621-DB4C-45C0-B506-E274E8A16624@microsoft.com...
  I'm trying to set up a group policy to map a network drive when our =
users log=20
  into our sbs2008 server (which was once done with loigin scripts in =
sbs2003).=20
  I have never quite made it work so I have been doing it manually. I =
think I=20
  have it set up properly because it works on our 32bit server2008 that =
we use=20
  for accounting software. I read somewhere that I need group policy =
client=20
  side extensions but when I try to push them out using wsus It says =
that the=20
  update has expired??? How do I tell if clients have the client side=20
  extensions installed? Is there a good set of instructions somewhere =
for this=20
  using sbs2008?
------=_NextPart_000_0C55_01CA87B4.FE6BA150
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="Utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

=EF=BB=BF<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.16945" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This article can help you troubleshoot =
client side=20
extensions</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216358">http://support.microsoft.=
com/kb/216358</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)<BR>Co-Contributor, =
Windows=20
Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/=
0672329573/ref=3Dpd_bbs_sr_1?ie=3DUTF8&amp;s=3Dbooks&amp;qid=3D1217269967=
&amp;sr=3D8-1">http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleas=
hed/dp/0672329573/ref=3Dpd_bbs_sr_1?ie=3DUTF8&amp;s=3Dbooks&amp;qid=3D121=
7269967&amp;sr=3D8-1</A><BR>Owner,=20
CPU Services, Belleville, IL<BR>A Microsoft Registered=20
Partner<BR>------------------------------------<BR>MVPs do not work for=20
Microsoft<BR>Please do not submit questions directly to me.<BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV>"Rod" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:Rod@discussions.microsoft.com">Rod@discussions.microsoft.c=
om</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:30F5A621-DB4C-45C0-B506-E274E8A16624@microsoft.com">news:30F=
5A621-DB4C-45C0-B506-E274E8A16624@microsoft.com</A>...</DIV>I'm=20
  trying to set up a group policy to map a network drive when our users =
log=20
  <BR>into our sbs2008 server (which was once done with loigin scripts =
in=20
  sbs2003). <BR>I have never quite made it work so I have been doing it=20
  manually. I think I <BR>have it set up properly because it works on =
our 32bit=20
  server2008 that we use <BR>for accounting software. I read somewhere =
that I=20
  need group policy client <BR>side extensions but when I try to push =
them out=20
  using wsus It says that the <BR>update has expired??? How do I tell if =
clients=20
  have the client side <BR>extensions installed? Is there a good set of=20
  instructions somewhere for this <BR>using =
sbs2008?</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0C55_01CA87B4.FE6BA150--

0
Cris
12/28/2009 5:57:56 PM
I think there are older and newer versions of the client side extensions, so 
the one you're looking at is probably replaced by a later version.  You 
could try running Windows Update to see if that offers you the current 
version.  I would think the client side extensions would be obvious in CP 
add/remove, but I just looked at an XP box without seeing them.

FWIW, the current one that I have in WSUS is "Group Policy Preference Client 
Side Extensions for Windows XP (KB943729)."  If you go to the KB, you'll see 
that there's a prerequisite.  I never had to deal with that, so I assume 
it's either part of a service pack, or another update that was applied by 
WSUS.  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943729.  The download links in that 
KB point to the old version, and it recommends MU for the current 
extensions.


"Rod" <Rod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:30F5A621-DB4C-45C0-B506-E274E8A16624@microsoft.com...
> I'm trying to set up a group policy to map a network drive when our users 
> log
> into our sbs2008 server (which was once done with loigin scripts in 
> sbs2003).
> I have never quite made it work so I have been doing it manually. I think 
> I
> have it set up properly because it works on our 32bit server2008 that we 
> use
> for accounting software. I read somewhere that I need group policy client
> side extensions but when I try to push them out using wsus It says that 
> the
> update has expired??? How do I tell if clients have the client side
> extensions installed? Is there a good set of instructions somewhere for 
> this
> using sbs2008? 

0
Dave
12/28/2009 8:07:06 PM
Oh boy, where to start....

Inline

-Cliff


"Rod" <Rod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:30F5A621-DB4C-45C0-B506-E274E8A16624@microsoft.com...
> I'm trying to set up a group policy to map a network drive when our users 
> log
> into our sbs2008 server

Users are logging into your server?!?!?!?!? 
WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> (which was once done with loigin scripts in sbs2003).
> I have never quite made it work so I have been doing it manually. I think 
> I
> have it set up properly because it works on our 32bit server2008 that we 
> use
> for accounting software. I read somewhere that I need group policy client
> side extensions but when I try to push them out using wsus It says that 
> the
> update has expired???

If they are expired then you are looking at an old update.  There are newer 
versions that *aren't* expired.  You may want to check your WSUS 
installation and make sure it is still syncing new updates.

Honestly though, in this case, that is a red herring.  client-side 
extensions are needed for XP and Vista, but were included in Vista SP1 and, 
thus by proxy, 2008 RTM ...which includes SBS 2008.  So if your mapped drive 
is not working then you have something else going on.  Possibly the GP is 
not being applied or you have some odd permissions issue.

.....but again, since we are talking specifically about your SBS server and 
not other servers in your network, why is this an issue?  Users *really* 
should not be logging on to your server! As far as administrators logging 
into your server goes, mapped drives are a user convenience and rarely have 
a place in server management IMHO.  A good admin should only be connecting 
to shares (which is all a mapped drive really is) on an as-needed basis 
since they have admin privileges, and a mapped drive just makes it *way* too 
easy to accidentally cause problems when running admin tools (like ACL 
crawlers, etc) that can bring any network to its knees.  Mapped drives are 
almost *ALWAYS* a bad idea when logged in as an admin.

> How do I tell if clients have the client side
> extensions installed? Is there a good set of instructions somewhere for 
> this
> using sbs2008?

For XP and Vista RTM, you can view the update in WSUS and generate a report. 
For Vista SP1 and 2008, you just have to know it is there like any other 
part of the base OS.  You can't really generate a report in WSUS or SBS to 
verify that calc.exe is on your XP machines...but since it is part of the 
default distribution, you just go with it.  Same applies here, but because 
it is a newer addition to the core OS, people still get a little skittish 
about it...

Hope that helps,

-Cliff
 

0
Cliff
12/28/2009 9:35:35 PM
Cliff Galiher wrote:
> Oh boy, where to start....
> 
> Inline
> 
> -Cliff
> 
> 
> "Rod" <Rod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:30F5A621-DB4C-45C0-B506-E274E8A16624@microsoft.com...
>> I'm trying to set up a group policy to map a network drive when our 
>> users log
>> into our sbs2008 server
> 
> Users are logging into your server?!?!?!?!? 
> WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> 
>> (which was once done with loigin scripts in sbs2003).
>> I have never quite made it work so I have been doing it manually. I 
>> think I
>> have it set up properly because it works on our 32bit server2008 that 
>> we use
>> for accounting software. I read somewhere that I need group policy client
>> side extensions but when I try to push them out using wsus It says 
>> that the
>> update has expired???
> 
> If they are expired then you are looking at an old update.  There are 
> newer versions that *aren't* expired.  You may want to check your WSUS 
> installation and make sure it is still syncing new updates.
> 
> Honestly though, in this case, that is a red herring.  client-side 
> extensions are needed for XP and Vista, but were included in Vista SP1 
> and, thus by proxy, 2008 RTM ...which includes SBS 2008.  So if your 
> mapped drive is not working then you have something else going on.  
> Possibly the GP is not being applied or you have some odd permissions 
> issue.
> 
> ....but again, since we are talking specifically about your SBS server 
> and not other servers in your network, why is this an issue?  Users 
> *really* should not be logging on to your server! As far as 
> administrators logging into your server goes, mapped drives are a user 
> convenience and rarely have a place in server management IMHO.  A good 
> admin should only be connecting to shares (which is all a mapped drive 
> really is) on an as-needed basis since they have admin privileges, and a 
> mapped drive just makes it *way* too easy to accidentally cause problems 
> when running admin tools (like ACL crawlers, etc) that can bring any 
> network to its knees.  Mapped drives are almost *ALWAYS* a bad idea when 
> logged in as an admin.
> 
>> How do I tell if clients have the client side
>> extensions installed? Is there a good set of instructions somewhere 
>> for this
>> using sbs2008?
> 
> For XP and Vista RTM, you can view the update in WSUS and generate a 
> report. For Vista SP1 and 2008, you just have to know it is there like 
> any other part of the base OS.  You can't really generate a report in 
> WSUS or SBS to verify that calc.exe is on your XP machines...but since 
> it is part of the default distribution, you just go with it.  Same 
> applies here, but because it is a newer addition to the core OS, people 
> still get a little skittish about it...
> 
> Hope that helps,
> 
> -Cliff
> 
> 
Vista SP1

You sure?  It's been my experience they were not.
0
Susan
12/29/2009 1:50:47 AM
Susan Bradley wrote:
> Cliff Galiher wrote:
>> Oh boy, where to start....
>>
>> Inline
>>
>> -Cliff
>>
>>
>> "Rod" <Rod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:30F5A621-DB4C-45C0-B506-E274E8A16624@microsoft.com...
>>> I'm trying to set up a group policy to map a network drive when our
>>> users log
>>> into our sbs2008 server
>>
>> Users are logging into your server?!?!?!?!?
>> WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>> (which was once done with loigin scripts in sbs2003).
>>> I have never quite made it work so I have been doing it manually. I
>>> think I
>>> have it set up properly because it works on our 32bit server2008
>>> that we use
>>> for accounting software. I read somewhere that I need group policy
>>> client side extensions but when I try to push them out using wsus
>>> It says that the
>>> update has expired???
>>
>> If they are expired then you are looking at an old update.  There are
>> newer versions that *aren't* expired.  You may want to check your
>> WSUS installation and make sure it is still syncing new updates.
>>
>> Honestly though, in this case, that is a red herring.  client-side
>> extensions are needed for XP and Vista, but were included in Vista
>> SP1 and, thus by proxy, 2008 RTM ...which includes SBS 2008.  So if
>> your mapped drive is not working then you have something else going
>> on. Possibly the GP is not being applied or you have some odd
>> permissions issue.
>>
>> ....but again, since we are talking specifically about your SBS
>> server and not other servers in your network, why is this an issue? Users 
>> *really* should not be logging on to your server! As far as
>> administrators logging into your server goes, mapped drives are a
>> user convenience and rarely have a place in server management IMHO. A 
>> good admin should only be connecting to shares (which is all a
>> mapped drive really is) on an as-needed basis since they have admin
>> privileges, and a mapped drive just makes it *way* too easy to
>> accidentally cause problems when running admin tools (like ACL
>> crawlers, etc) that can bring any network to its knees.  Mapped
>> drives are almost *ALWAYS* a bad idea when logged in as an admin.
>>
>>> How do I tell if clients have the client side
>>> extensions installed? Is there a good set of instructions somewhere
>>> for this
>>> using sbs2008?
>>
>> For XP and Vista RTM, you can view the update in WSUS and generate a
>> report. For Vista SP1 and 2008, you just have to know it is there
>> like any other part of the base OS.  You can't really generate a
>> report in WSUS or SBS to verify that calc.exe is on your XP
>> machines...but since it is part of the default distribution, you
>> just go with it.  Same applies here, but because it is a newer
>> addition to the core OS, people still get a little skittish about
>> it... Hope that helps,
>>
>> -Cliff
>>
>>
> Vista SP1
>
> You sure?  It's been my experience they were not.

For XP SP2 and SP3 and 2008 (DCs) you should have both Group Policy 
Preference Client Side Extensions for Windows XP (KB943729)" *and* the 
XMLLite for Windows XP (KB915865) (2003 server needs variants as well).

Note the the Policy Preferences CSE's are subject to Windows Genuine....

-- 
/kj 


0
kj
12/29/2009 3:48:40 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Emails I post to group don't appear
Almost every time I post to this board, the posts don't appear. this has happened in the past, and I don't know why. Please HELP! No pop-ups are being blocked, or I wouldn't even be able to write this. Also, it never notifies me of replies, even tho I check the box. Thank you! This is a newsgroup, it sounds like you are using some web site that finds and displays the posts rather than using a newsreader to view the group. What site/program are you using to view this? BTW, that is also why you may not get notified of replies, if someone replies directly through ...

Point and save emails to an external hard drive?
does anyone know how "Ray" <Ray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9C645B4-579B-43F4-BEEA-5B46D8540FFC@microsoft.com... > does anyone know how Perhaps, but you don't supply enough information for anyone to hazard a guess at what you mean. What version of Outlook? What's "point and save"? -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...

Option groups (Text display)
Hi......i've set up an option group on a form which has 6 possible selections. It is bound to a field in a table and seems to be working fine. However when i generate a report from that table, i get the numeric value displayed but i'd prefer the text. Any ideas how i'd get around this ? Thanks, Jenny Option groups are only capable of using numbers, not text. If you don't already have a table that translates the numbers to the text, create one. Create a query that joins that table to your existing table so that you can pick up the text, and use that query where you would...

Item Integration should allow mapping to Extended Pricing Price S
When Extended Pricing is enabled and you use Integration Manager to bring in prices, you map a Constant Price Level EXTPRCLVL to get the integration to go through. The only problem is that this doesn't affect the Price Sheets, so doesn't calculate a price in Sales Order Processing. It would be nice if a collection could be added for Price Sheets. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the but...

Mapping..
ok. I have a table with about... ohh 250 fields. Lets say that one field is directly dependant on another. In this case, a region number is given to a person based on their postal code. In SQL I could just create a second table and link them using postal code as the key. How can I accompish this in CRM? I'm assuming its by using the mapping feature but in the documentation I have it tells me to go in through the SQL enterprise manager. I have been told that I am not allowed to directly access the SQL database without voidding my warranty. How can I make it so that the region number...

Apply Recipient Update Policy to users in 1 OU
How do I properly configure a filter rule for an Exchange (2003) recipient policy so that it only applies to a specific OU? I want users created within 1 OU to have a recipient policy applied to it. That policy will only apply to users in that OU so it will have a higher priority than the default recipient policy. I've created such a policy and the syntax looked like this, where OU is Tampa but the policy never applied to users in the OU. (&(ou>="")(name=Tampa*)) I found this http://msdn.itags.org/exchange-server/157858/ which says you can...

Can I use group by clause in DCount
I want to dispaly the total orders for orderid on the form next to Orderid. I tried creating a unbound text box and used Dcount which gives me the total number of records in that table. Where as I want the total number of records for that particular orderid. =DCount("*","[tblTemp]","OrderID") Is this possible? Thanks -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/201003/1 Yes, but you need to fix your criteria argument. DCount("*","[tblTemp]","[OrderID] =" &...

Help with Pivot table and grouping
I am creating a pivot table that measure the time to place a case using DateReceived and Date Approved. The TimeToPlace would be by pivot and I want to have grouping of 15 like so: 0-15 days 16-30 days etc This is a calculated field. The problem is that sometimes it hasnt been Placed yet and is pending. So one would think - well use an if - do a calculated and return 0 if you have to. Well cases can be received and placed the same day, so 0 days cant be used for pending. I tried returning false, but then I cannot group based on that TimeToPlace because false or null is in there. Any s...

how do i map an excel column to an XML element
How do i map an entire column of data in an excel spreadsheet to an XML data element in the XML source Task Pane? I want to export the data in my spreadsheet so that every row in my spreadsheet is an XML record and every cell in the row is a sub element ...

routing mail with routing group
Folks, I am having problems routing mail within a routing group.. Any ideas Regards Hi, Perhaps you can be a bit more specific? In general the Exchange servers should be able to communicatie with the active directory/dns and with smtp to eachother. In case you are using an internal firewall sometimes ports get blocked that are needed for the communication such as smtp en the linkstate port (tcp 691). Regards, Steven "ricky" <rakumi@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eVcLmk4DFHA.3256@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Folks, > I am having problems routing mail within a ...

Rule/ policy to delete old email
Hi, i have Exhange 2000, and need to be able to delete email of a certain age. Is there a rule/policy or tool to do this. Thanks You can create a Mailbox Manager recipient policy to control this. In Exchange System Manager, Recipients, Recipient Policies, create a new policy of type Mailbox Manager. Review all the settings available to you. You might consider first running it in report mode so you get an idea of how it will act. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne "Podge" <Podge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3DDF76C6-5717-4C86-BA01-EF18BEA7...

Membership does not displayed in Distribution Group
I am having a very weird scenario happneing. My current setup is Exchange 2003 co-existence with Exchange 5.5 ADC is installed and replication is working. Here is my problem. I have some distribution lists that do not display any members. When I look at the list in AD the membership list is blank. If I go to a user who is in that list and look at the "Member of" tab in the properties of their user account it shows that they are indeed a member. I also can see the members of the list on the Exchange 5.5 side of things. When I make modifications to the list (either using 5.5 adm...

Map command
Have got Windows XP professional. Excel used to have the facility to create a map from a worksheet but this does not appear to be in the Insert Menu anymore. Can anyone tell me how to create a map in XP? Windows XP Professional is an Operating System. Do you mean Office XP Professional? If so, you are out of luck with the Insert>Map feature unless you purchase MS MapPoint software. Excel XP has done away with the Mapping component. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 07:41:08 -0800, "suemkay" <suemkay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Have got Windows X...

Can Visio convert and or open an iGrafx process map?
I have a process map done in Corel iGrafx Flowcharter 2003 and want to know if I can convert the file such that I can edit and play with it in Visio Professional 2003. Thanks I have an IGX format file that needs to be converted to Visio as well. Seems some seminar presenters are giving out their sample files in this format, and I would REALLY prefer not to add yet another flow charting tool to our environment here. Has anyone developed a solution for this? Thanks! "Dellitot" wrote: > I have a process map done in Corel iGrafx Flowcharter 2003 and want to know > ...

uninstalling Office Test Drive; leaving my Word
I have my own MS Word program (CD) which is installed on my new IMac (it came across from my old Mac when I migrated the old Mac's HD.). Unfortunarely my new iMac came with a test drive version of MS OFFICE which expires in a few weeks. I do not need the Office components, only my own Word. I tried uninstalling the Test version, byt the uninstaller wants to uninstall everything, including my own Word copy. This is unacceptable because I write and have many important Word files. Is there any way to get rid of the Test Office version while leaving my own Word intact on the hard drive. I don&...

Computer hangs during boot if the eSATA drive is turned on
Ran into a problem preventing me from trying a couple of suggestions to work around the delayed write problem to an eSATA drive I wrote about earlier (Apr 8)..... Now my computer will not boot if the eSATA drive is turned on. It hangs right before it finishes loading the BIOS. About 95% of the way before the white progress bar finishes. Can't even hit F2 to configure or F12 to change boot order. So I have to turn the eSATA drive off then cycle the computer. Then of course it says it can't detect the SATA-4 device and I hit F1 to continue. Any ideas? On Apr 15...

"Map" button
Does the "Map" button exist in 2003 EXCELL Hi no, MS has disconitnued this support with Excel 2002 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "NLeites" <NLeites@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:A47AFEDE-097D-4BDC-B1F5-CD902D880C95@microsoft.com... > Does the "Map" button exist in 2003 EXCELL You must now purchase MapPoint program which interfaces with Office apps. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:19:40 +0100, "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote: >Hi >no, MS has disconitnued this suppo...

sort mail group
How do I sort my names in a contact group by surname first. oldzac Have you tried clicking on the surname column header? --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen "oldzac" <oldzac@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message = news:%23M3G%23nYZKHA.4932@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > How do I sort my names in a contact group by surname first. > oldzac When I open up the group there is no column header. I must be doing something wrong. oldzac "Gary VanderMolen" <gary@NoMail.invalid> ...

Grouping in Protect WorkSheets
I need to be able to interact with the Grouping Function (Data - Grou and Outline - Group ) while the worksheet I am working on is protected Is this possible -- PO ----------------------------------------------------------------------- POD's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3199 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=51724 If you already have the outline/subtotals applied, you can protect the worksheet in code (auto_open/workbook_open??). Option Explicit Sub auto_open() With Worksheets("sheet1") ...

worksheet map
I have some fairly complicated excel files with let say 100 worksheets in them. What I would like to do is be able to generate a "map" that would show me graphically how all the worksheets in the file are linked to each other. i, How would that differ from using Trace...dependents, precedents ? Jim Cone San Francisco, USA "ixlr84fun" <ixlr84fun@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1135280427.415301.26280@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com I have some fairly complicated excel files with let say 100 worksheets in them. What I would like to do is be able to generate a "...

DVD drive spinning up
How can I prevent the DVD drive pinning up each time when NOT in use?? In configuration I have already disabled all auto run options! Or is the only remedy taking out the disk each time? -- regards, |\ /| | \/ |@rk \../ \/os On 5/28/2010 10:17 AM, Linea Recta wrote: > How can I prevent the DVD drive pinning up each time when NOT in use?? > In configuration I have already disabled all auto run options! > Or is the only remedy taking out the disk each time? Well it spins up even without a disc in the drive actually. It is just quieter and it realizes pret...

Exchange 2003 Recipient Policy Question
I would like to use a recipient policy to implement a company-wide email retention policy. The policy is somewhat lax, however - we're only applying the policy to the Inbox and Sent Items proper, and NOT to user-created folders beneath those two default folders. I cannot tell from the recipient policy setup template whether subfolders will be affected, allthough I *think* they will. Can anyone confirm? If the recipient policy will automatically apply to subfolders, is there any way to modify it to stop that behavior? - Patrick W. ...

Could you share some techique about user groups in AD
Could you share some experience for manage security and distribution group. Recently, i found the groups define were very jumbled. After upgrade the 2003 from exchange 5.5, i want to "housekeeping" and make it tidily. Can you gice me some advice? Thanks~~ How you manage groups, depends on many things. The difference between security and distribution groups is basically that the distribution groups cannot be used as an object to give permissions. Security groups can be used for email as well. This opens up the possibillity to combine the usage of some of the groups (by mail e...

Security group to use SMTP server
Hello, i would like top create a SMTP server that only could be use by a security group in active directory (Windows server 2003) ... very simple question ... Thanks for answering me fast.. Explain "SMTP server". If you mean which MAPI users can send mail through an SMTP Connector, please see this: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF009.html http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;277872 -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "me" <me@me.me> wrote in message news:ueGQnHtvFHA.2880@TK2MSF...

How to map a string to a map pointer?
Hi, I have several strings, each of which should be mapped to a specific map of string to string structure. How to implement by the CMap template? Or is there an type- specific Map classes I can use? Thanks. Gary My first guess would be something like: CMap<string, string, string, string> m_MyStringMap; but I'm not sure what results mixing MFC and STL will produce. "Gary" <gary_gzi@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:085f01c38160$c04a1570$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I have several strings, each of which should be mapped to > a specific map of...