How to keep SBS 2003 server running after migrating to SBS 2008

I've successfully migrated from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 on a new machine.
However, I have some apps running on the old server (ACT & Quickbooks) that
I'd like to keep on this machine. The documentation states 'If you want to
repurpose the Source Server, the simplest way is to reformat and install a
new operating system'. What's the hard way?

In other words, is there a way to get the machine back in a healthy state
without installing a new operating system or reformatting the hard drive so I
can use it to run these apps?

SBS 2003 can't be used as a demoted DC. You can use another server license
and reinstall that and then your ACT/QB apps.

"TM" <TM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've successfully migrated from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 on a new machine.
> However, I have some apps running on the old server (ACT & Quickbooks)
> that
> I'd like to keep on this machine. The documentation states 'If you want to
> repurpose the Source Server, the simplest way is to reformat and install a
> new operating system'. What's the hard way?
>
> In other words, is there a way to get the machine back in a healthy state
> without installing a new operating system or reformatting the hard drive
> so I
> can use it to run these apps?

0
SteveB
1/23/2010 8:57:45 PM
Multiple SBS servers cannot exist in the same domain.  You can reinstall SBS
2003 on the old server and then reinstall the apps/databases, but the old
server will need to be in a different domain from the SBS 2008 one.

--
Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
============================

"TM" <TM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've successfully migrated from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 on a new machine.
> However, I have some apps running on the old server (ACT & Quickbooks)
> that
> I'd like to keep on this machine. The documentation states 'If you want to
> repurpose the Source Server, the simplest way is to reformat and install a
> new operating system'. What's the hard way?
>
> In other words, is there a way to get the machine back in a healthy state
> without installing a new operating system or reformatting the hard drive
> so I
> can use it to run these apps?

0
Merv

FrontPage 2003 11-14-09
Why do I get the message, an unexpected error occured: not enough memory to complete the operation when I try to insert a picture in FrontPage 2003. When I use FrontPage 2000 it completes the assignment perfectly. Try running a Help Detect & repair in FP 2003 - if that doesn't help, you need to close down other running programs to gain more memory or install more memory on your PC -- _____________________________________________ SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ] "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-; To find the...

Outlook keeps prompting for logon..
User is on Outlook 2k3, latest service packs, updates, etc. Mailbox lives on Exchange 2007 (SP1). Everytime the user starts Outlook they're prompted to logon. I've disabled the logon prompt at startup option (and enabled it and then disabled it again), but it's still happening. I've tried it with cached mode on and cached mode off. I've tried it with offline mode enabled and disabled. I've tried deleting his profile and recreating it. I've tried switching to an RPC/HTTPS connection. Finally, i completely uninstalled Outlook 2k3 and installed Outlook 2k7. Not...

Creating additional mailbox stores in Exchange 2003
Hi, I am running Exchange 2003 on SBS 2003, and I would like to create an additional mailbox store. I am able to create a new storage group, but every time I try to create a mailbox store, I receive the message 'the storage group already contains the maximum number of stores allowed.' Also, I know that it is possible to create a second mailbox store, because I created a second mailbox store last year on an SBS server with Exchange 2003. I don't believe that we are limited to only one mailbox store. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Sincerely, On Thu, ...

Can't Remove Exchange 2000 Server under new 2003 Admin Group
Recently installed a new Server 2003 as DC and also an Exchange 2003 on same machine. Migrated from 2000 DC with Exchange 2000. Followed all procedures as documented. Demoted old 2000 DC and promoted new 2003 DC. All mailboxes, gobal address books, RUS, connectors, public folders, etc. were migrated successfully. I now have in my Exchange Manager two Exchange Servers, the 2000 and 2003. I need to remove the 2000. I can't delete it from the 2003 DC because there is still a system mailbox and I get an error saying there are still mailboxes. I know that I need to remove the Exch...

Help Old addresses keep coming up

Outlook 2003 will not receive
I am trying to run Outlook 2003 (just upgraded Office XP to 2003) on Windows XP Pro. The "Test Account Settings" button connects to SMTP and POP servers and finds no problems, Outlook sends mail OK, but will not receive. I am trying to connect through a LAN via ADSL. I have turned of my Firewall and Virus scanner. On all 4 of the POP accounts from which the previous version of Outlook was receiving I now get a message of the form: "Task 'F2S - Receiving' reported error (0x800408FC) : 'The server name you entered can not be found on the network... " Forte Agent...

Modify COntact Form in 2003
I read in the knowledge base that the 2003 contact form layout is from 2002, not 2003. Is there any way to modify the 2003 version of the form? Thanks. The Outlook 2003 contact form can be customized in the exact same way as in any other version of Outlook. The only thing missing when you go into design mode is the new picture control in the contact form. That you manipulate with the ContactItem.AddPicture, .RemovePicture and ..HasPicture properties. The picture is stored as an attachment in the ContactItem. -- Ken Slovak [MVP - Outlook] http://www.slovaktech.com Author: Absolute Begin...

Text for Visio 2003 Stencil
I have created about 6 templates, and would like to be able to have them fit inside a rack. The problem I am having is, when I resize the shape to fit into a standard rack. The text size is limited to 1 pt. Once the text reaches 1 pt the text becomes unreadable and too large for the Stencil itself. If I expand it to a larger image the text resizes accordingly, when using the formula =(Height/x.xxxx m) * x pt. Is there any formula I can use to allow the text to be smaller than 1pt. Grouping the drawing doesn't seem to help. I have seen shapes which have this done, but going through...

Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 1 work on SBS 2003
I have Small Business Server 2003, can I apply the Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 1? I have Small Business Server 2003, can I apply the Exchange Intelligent Message Filter? http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/downloads/2003/imf/default.asp Neither products indicate they are support on SBS2003. jaarons@hotmail.com (jaarons) wrote: >I have Small Business Server 2003, can I apply the Exchange Server >2003 Service Pack 1? > > >I have Small Business Server 2003, can I apply the Exchange >Intelligent Message Filter? >http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/downloads/2003/imf/def...

exchange 2003 multiple email addresses
I have a user that does testing and he has to have 300 or so email addresses assigned to his user account. test1.@domain.com, test2@domain.com, etc.... Does anyone know of a tool that can create these addresses? Or is there a way to import them to a user? I don't want to spend a day to add them individually. Thanks in advanced. Rob Take a look at admodify http://www.gotdotnet.com/workspaces/workspace.aspx?id=f5cbbfa9-e46b-4a7a-8ed8-3e44523f32e2 Nue "rob" <rsl315@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1137448735.584442.109830@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I have a...

Keep Lines Together; Keep with Next

Outlook 2003 Follow Up Flags.
I am running Outlook 2003 and everyone else in the office is currently using Outlook 97. Whenever someone sends me an e-mail with a follow-up flag attached and I forward that e-mail I lose the follow-up flag. In Outlook 97 and in Outlook 2002 this was never a problem. I would hit forward and the follow up flag and all attachments would stay as normal. I have looked everywhere. Is there a setting or something that I am missing to correct this? We use follow-up flags extensively in our office. We really need a fix for this. Thank you. ...

why do my pictures keep disappearing?
Although I have checked the box in 'pictures' any form of graphic or word art that I have inserted into my publication keeps disappearing! If I click in the general direction of the insertion the bounding dots appear, but no picture Are you sure you have view, pictures, detailed display checked? If so try updating your graphics driver... -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "JG" <JG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:57E101AC-A758-400A-9269-3B68B754CA0E@microsoft.com... > Altho...

How to Create a CRM Test Environment on SBS 2003?
John, some while back (3/28/05), you replied to a post about how to setup a test environment, and you indicated that it could be accomplished using SBS 2003. I would also like to learn how to create a "test environment" whether it be Adventure Works Cyle, or a test copy of my current Production CRM... Could you please provide a little more explanation regarding how this can be done, using just the one SBS 2003 box? Basically, I'm looking for a high-level / conceptual step-by-step to making this happen. Thanks much, Boolean1 Boolean1@comcast.net ======================= ...

Outlook 2003 keeps asking for password for POP3 account
I am running WinXP Pro and Office 2003. My Outlook 2003 keeps popping up intermittently a pop-up box requesting me to re-enter the POP3 account password. Now, there is nothing wrong with the password already entered (check box to save password), so all i am having to do is click OK, but it is really annoying. Does anyone know what i can do to stop Outlook from doing this? Thanks for your help. ...

Exchange Standard 2003 DB sizes
Hi, Our Exchange private DB sizes are approaching 15g and have been informed that it is possible to increase size to up to 75g. Are there any potential issues with doing this? Is it a simple process? What issues should I be aware of before applying this? Is it recomended!!! As long as you have SP2 installed it's a no brainer. Go for it. "Andy Wolsten" wrote: > Hi, > > Our Exchange private DB sizes are approaching 15g and have been informed > that it is possible to increase size to up to 75g. > > Are there any potential issues with doing this? Is it a...

how can I keep a tab in place?
I have workbooks with multiple worksheets. I would like to keep the summary tab in a fixed (first) position so that the user can easily, quickly find it without using the l<, <, >, >l (arrow) tabs. I use hyperlinks to get from the summary tab to the other tabs, and I know I can hyperlink tab back... but I'd rather not use the hyperlinks too much. Tools - Protection - Protect workbook (for structure) Or, create a custom button/macro that navigates to the summary sheet. -- Best Regards, Luke M "missy8892" <missy8892@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Dynamics CRM & Performance Point Server (PPS)
Our challenge is to determine a solution for our client including CRM and BI. Part of the project requires data from disparate systems being consolidated and presented in various formats through CRM. Would anyone care to comment if Performance Point Server (PPS) is our best option? Has anyone been involved or know of projects involving CRM, BI and PPS? A relevant KB would suffice at this point. Please excuse my ignorance on this subject, my searches have not revealed a lot. Much appreciate your time to respond. (Same posted in Developers forum) Mandy, You should be able to do al...

Outlook 2000 "Server cannot be found"
I applied all of the current updates for Office 2000 and Windows 2000. Outlook can no longer send or recieve email and presents the "Server cannot be found" message. I have checked the account set up and it is fine. I reestablished the account set up using the sbcglobal tutuorial for account set up in Outlook (just to be certain) and the result was still "Server cannot be found". I also checked that Network and Dial up security is set to Permit All Email fails to find the server via an established DSL connection and it also fails with a dial up connection. I c...

going from a sbs 2003 back to peer to peer
Hello, I was recently involved in a meeting with a company that a new owner has taken more control of form the other owner, and he wants no server in the picture period. Now the original boss is a good friend but recently had family problems forcing her to put everything on the new owner. He believes the server is costing them too much with backup verifications and the weird little problems they have since their computer users are not very good with computers and somehow manage to break the weird things even with things locked down. so that said, i haven't found any ms...

Inserting Picture in Signature in Office Pro 2003
Hi there, Just installed Office Pro 2003. Want to include a picture in my signature. Have Word set as editor. When I go into Tools\Options\Mail Format\Signatures and then Edit the created signature I then click on Advanced Edit which opens Notepad. Here I see lots of HTML code. Is there another program that can be used in place of Notepad in order to include a picture? What do I need to do in order to accomplish this? Must admit I didn't have this problem with Office 2000 Pro. Using Windows XP Pro with all updates applied. Thanks so much for your assistance. Lynn OK. I f...

How do I keep the home tool bar on top
An hour ago the home tool bar stoped being displayed. I can restore it but every time i hit a key the tool bar disapers. How do I keep the tool bar on top while I am typing. You've minimized the Ribbon. Double-click any tab on the Ribbon to restore it. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "RobertTaylor" <RobertTaylor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:081A95C4-76B9-47E2-A4E6-83A080233AD0@microsoft.com... > An hour ago the home tool bar stoped being displayed. I can rest...

Outlook 2003 #229
I am running XP Professional with Service Pack 2 installed. Outlook 2003 also was updated via Outlook Service Packs. Problem: I open Outlook and it works and also places a icon in task bar. I exit Outlook (not close) and Icon remains in task bar. Also I cannot reopen Outlook in anyway. I must reboot. As PC closes to reboot an error message states the phrase CiceroUlWndFrame. I have used Detect amd Repair but problem remains. Anthony Some common reasons why Outlook will not shut down completely when you click either the X or Exit: 1. PDA synchronization software with your PDA in th...

How to keep userform always on the top of all windows application
Hi All!! Is there some that when I execute an excel user form, it *remains o the top * of all the windows applications that are currently running until & unless I, manually, minimize or close it. Regards, Jat -- JAtz_DA_WA ----------------------------------------------------------------------- JAtz_DA_WAY's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2668 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=40059 You may get an answer to your question--but it'll involve both making the userform always on top plus adding those minim...