Exchange databases

I have a server (SBS2003)

priv1.edb 7.8Gb
priv1.stm 9.3Gb

The date stamp on the edb file seems to change only once a month or so!

Is this normal (other server have fairly small edb files)

Using NTBackup
All clients are Outlook 2007 (only 1 or 2 users use webaccess ocassionally)

I there something that I need to do with server ?!

Server seems OK but several other SBS Servers have MUCH smaller .stm files
and larger edb file..

0
sam

EDB and STM are different parts of the private store, and I don't see any
problem with either one being larger than the other - they just hold
different types of content.

I'm not sure of the normal condition of that date.  Are you sure your
backups are including Exchange properly?  You could look in your daily
report under Backup to see if it's saying backup is not configured, and run
the BPA from:

Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Best Practices Analyzer
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3874527A-DE19-49BB-800F-352F3B6F2922&displaylang=en

"sam" <sam@msforums.com> wrote in message
>I have a server (SBS2003)
>
> priv1.edb 7.8Gb
> priv1.stm 9.3Gb
>
> The date stamp on the edb file seems to change only once a month or so!
>
> Is this normal (other server have fairly small edb files)
>
> Using NTBackup
> All clients are Outlook 2007 (only 1 or 2 users use webaccess
> ocassionally)
>
> I there something that I need to do with server ?!
>
> Server seems OK but several other SBS Servers have MUCH smaller .stm files
> and larger edb file..

0
Dave
2/17/2010 9:59:25 PM
"sam" <sam@msforums.com> wrote in message
>I have a server (SBS2003)
>
> priv1.edb 7.8Gb
> priv1.stm 9.3Gb
>
> The date stamp on the edb file seems to change only once a month or so!
>
> Is this normal (other server have fairly small edb files)
>
> Using NTBackup
> All clients are Outlook 2007 (only 1 or 2 users use webaccess
> ocassionally)
>
> I there something that I need to do with server ?!
>
> Server seems OK but several other SBS Servers have MUCH smaller .stm files
> and larger edb file..

Each database in the information store is made up of two logical databases,
the STM and EDB. The STM database is associated with non-MAPI clients, such
as OWA, POP and IMAP access. The EDB is associated with MAPI clients.

If a POP, OWA or IMAP client sends an email to an internal recipient, it
goes directly into the STM, because it's coming from a non-MAPI client. When
a MAPI client chooses to open the email, the system performs a "property
promotion" into the EDB database with a pointer back to the STM database so
the MAPI user can read it. If the MAPI client alters the message, it will be
saved in the EDB and removed from the STM. If the user does not change it
will remain in the STM, not the EDB. If the recipient retrieves it using a
non-MAPI client, it will remain in the STM.

Combined STM and EDB, plus any deleted items that remain based on the
Deleted Items retention time length specified in the Store's properties
(called the Dumptser), as well as any deleted mailboxes that remain based on
the Deleted Mailbox retention time, plus uncommitted items in the
transaction logs, equals the total size of the "Store.". If you were to add
up the space used based on the mailboxes sizes in the ESM, it won't be
accurate.

Was there some reason that prompted you to look at the EDB and STM files?

Are there any errors in the Event logs of the server or clients?

How are your OUtlook clients configured? Outlook Anywhere, or simply a
straightforward MAPI configuration (not RPC/HTTPS)?

The EDB and STM should change accordingly as they are used by clients. I
assume your Outlook 2007 clients are configured as MAPI clients.If the STM
is newer, it could mean there are more Internet and OUtlook
Anywhere-RCP/HTTPS clients (non-MAPI) then MAPI clients.

Here's more info on the differences.

Understanding Exchange Databases Disk Consumption
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232205(EXCHG.80).aspx

Exchange Storage ArchitectureMay 23, 2005 ... Together, the .edb file and
the .stm file form an Exchange store repository ... The .edb and .stm files
function as a pair, and the database ...
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124808(EXCHG.65).aspx

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE &
MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please
contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com
for regional support phone numbers.

0
Ace
2/17/2010 11:13:42 PM
Hello Sam,

Thanks for your post and others' input.

If you are running the Monitoring and Reporting feature on SBS Server Management console, you can check which mailbox(or mailboxes) are very huge from the "View Usage
Report" or if from the Exchange System Manger, under Administrative Groups, Servers, Mailbox Store, then the "Mailboxes", check which mailbox(or mailboxes) are huge and
try to shrink their mailboxes or suggest the user move unnecessary large messages to local PST folder.

Yes, SBS BPA and Exchange BPA tools are very useful for performance related issues.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Robbin Meng(MSFT)
Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support

Exchange Cluster

Exchange

Excel query of Access database
I have an excel workbook where I've queried a table in access. When I first setup the query, I did it through the get external data query wizard, browsed, found my access database (called database_010306.mdb) and selected my table. All was fine. Now, I am renaming my temporary named database (database_010306.mdb) to just database.mdb. So I've got to tell Excel the new filename. I thought I had it when I went to "edit query" in Excel, then went to "Microsoft Query", looked at the SQL code and changed the FROM statement to point to my new filename. When I closed Mic...

Cannot Unistall IMF Exchange 2003

Exchange / POP3

virus attacks against Exchange

SQL 2005 express database monitoring
Can someone advise how to monitor SQL 2005 express database size? Thank you very much! Hi, You can use SQL Server Management Studio express to check the database size. "april" <april@123.com> wrote in message news:OpMOYt$gKHA.2184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Can someone advise how to monitor SQL 2005 express database size? > > Thank you very much! hI Insert the result of below script into a monitoring table and compare over tome period SELECT @@SERVERNAME AS SqlServerName, db.name AS DatabaseName, SUM(CASE WHEN syf.g...

Exchange 2003 #5

Microsoft Exchange #3

Exchange-Integrated Help Desk Software

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000

Problems between two Exchange Servers

GLOBALROOT Error on Exchange 2003

Creating a Database
I am the money manager for a Girl Scout troop and need some help creating a database that would keep track of registration dues (yearly), regular dues (weekly), when these dues are deposited, check written, with dates, check numbers and such. I want it to feed into a simple check book register look report but then have detailed reports by child on how much they have paid and when. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. If you have never created a database before, it is going to take you a couple of years of work (assuming you do this in your spare time) to figure out how t...

antigen on exchange #2

Exchange Calendar Item vs. Outlook problem
Our Exchange 5.5 (SP4) server has what appears to be a corrupt calendar item for January 20, 2004. Those people who have this recurring(?) calendar item experience an Outlook lock up (CPU 100% running process outlook.exe) when accessing their calendar for that date and when syncing for offline Outlook use. This effects Outlook versions 2000 and 2002. Because the item can not be accessed from an Outlook client it can not be deleted. Is there a way to delete recurring calendar items from a specific date in the private data store? Is there an Outlook patch that prevents the CPU utilization p...

Exchange 2007 RSG and Isinteg
We are running exchange 2007 on a windows 2008 server, both are fully patched. We backup with Backup Exec 12.5, again fully patched. All of our backups finish without any problems. Our problem; when i restore a database backup to a RSG and then try to restore a mailbox i recieve errors telling me that the maxium number of corrupted messages has been reached. i tried moving the limit up, but i have to move the limit up to 5000 before it works and then i only get a few emails not the complete contents of the mailbox. After a bit of research i found a few similar cases. These were resolv...

Restore Exchange...help!!!!
My 'broken' Exchange2003\win2003 server (not DC) had it's partitions labelled...'system' for C:\, 'Exchange' for D: and 'logs' for E:. How important is it I label the new Exchange server drives the same before the restore (I am not sure of the EXACT names!!!) Also my log files were all on drive D:\ (the only things on that drive) do I need to restore them too...they may not be exactly in sync with the other data being restored? Finally, what part of my 'Exchsvr' folder do I need to restore from backup? I think that may be a few days older tha...

emails retained in exchange 2003 queue
Hi to all, i have a ZyWall firewall (hardware) with a Turbo Card option installed. When i activate the anti-virus option in the firewall, i can receive emails, but all that i sent, do not go out, all off them stay in queue. When i deactivate that option, all the mails in queue, are sent. I ask my vendor for that problem, they test my firewall in their offices, but all it's ok. In my home, donsn't work. Must i change anything in my exchange ?? Best regards It sounds like your firewall is blocking outbound connections. You may need to configure exchange to use a SmartHost (your...

Issues with blank email replies on Exchange
Hi, A user recently emailed and said everytime he is vpn'd into the office from home (on his works laptop) he gets an odd problem. He can't send or reply to any emails. And when it does send it sends as a blank message - but somtimes takes about 7-8 attempts to get that far even. He does not get the problem in work. The error is "Error getting data from myexchangeserver.mydomain.com" He has full access to everything else using VPN and can receive emails ok - he can also remote desktop fine and c$ machines etc and read/write to file shares as normal. Details (Outlook...