Domain users cannot print on networked printer in SBS 2003 R2 netw

Hi ,

I have an Epson CX11NF printer networked to a server running SBS 2003 R2.
The printer has been added to the server and I can print from the server.
When logged onto a network client as a domain admin I can print. When logged
on as a domain user on a network client I cannot print (error printing). When
logged on as a domain print operator on a network client I cannot print.
Domain users have the correct permissions on the server Windows Temp and
Spool folders. I have the same results whether the printer properties are set
for spooled printing or direct to printer printing.

The printer error log shows the following:
d:\hydro2\installer\hydro2.1a_ej\make\regif.cppL440
ERROR: RegistryInterface::ReadPortInfo:Unable to open key EP089E48:AL-CX11

EP089E48:AL-CX11 is the port I am using for the printer

Following some advice I've checked the acl on the registry key for this and
then added domain users to the registry key acl but unfortunately this made
no difference.

One other error i get when trying to print as a domain user

[02/04/10 14:01:31 PID:5808 TID:8808 d:\hydro2\installer\hydro2.1a_ej
make\printerstatusmonitor.cpp:149]

ERROR: Error while retrieving status from the printer.

Any help most appreciated
thanks

Simon

Did this printer ever work as expected?  Do you have other network printers
that do?

Here's how I would approach this, assuming other printers work as expected.
First, I'd remove the printer, its driver, and any related software from the
server.  Also remove it from a client PC or two (for test purposes).
Reinstall on the SBS from scratch, using the most recent driver you can
find.  Make sure the print server (or the printer's network card) are
configured with either a fixed IP or a DHCP reservation.  Reinstall the
printer on the one or two test machines and see what happens.

If it still doesn't work, I would then try adding it as a local printer on
one of the client PCs - in the Add Printer wizard, add the print server as a
local tcp/ip port using it's fixed or reserved IP.  See if that works.

Is there anything in the print server's configuration that could be causing
this?  A control panel or other software on the server that could be to
blame?  Simply installing a network printer on the server should result in
the proper configuration and permission settings to enable anyone to print
to that printer, so I'm wondering if there's some other problem involved and
you're getting misleading error messages referring to permissions.  It seems
weird that domain admins can print normally but print operators cannot.

Before messing around much with permission settings, I'd at least install an
unrelated network printer to see if that works as expected, in which case
you at least know you can blame this Epson or its network print server.

"Simon Thomas" <SimonThomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi ,
>
> I have an Epson CX11NF printer networked to a server running SBS 2003 R2.
> The printer has been added to the server and I can print from the server.
> When logged onto a network client as a domain admin I can print. When
> logged
> on as a domain user on a network client I cannot print (error printing).
> When
> logged on as a domain print operator on a network client I cannot print.
> Domain users have the correct permissions on the server Windows Temp and
> Spool folders. I have the same results whether the printer properties are
> set
> for spooled printing or direct to printer printing.
>
> The printer error log shows the following:
> d:\hydro2\installer\hydro2.1a_ej\make\regif.cppL440
> ERROR: RegistryInterface::ReadPortInfo:Unable to open key EP089E48:AL-CX11
>
> EP089E48:AL-CX11 is the port I am using for the printer
>
> Following some advice I've checked the acl on the registry key for this
> and
> then added domain users to the registry key acl but unfortunately this
> made
> no difference.
>
> One other error i get when trying to print as a domain user
>
> [02/04/10 14:01:31 PID:5808 TID:8808 d:\hydro2\installer\hydro2.1a_ej
> make\printerstatusmonitor.cpp:149]
>
> ERROR: Error while retrieving status from the printer.
>
> Any help most appreciated
> thanks
>
> Simon

0
Dave

Msn Money 2003 Standard
I restored my money files to a new computer after loading money 2003. It was working fine for about a week. When I pay bills and what to have money print the checks I type print in the numbers column finish the transaction, hit enter. Print is supposed to pop up in the tasks column and it doesn't. What is happening? How do I fix it. I already did what it said to do in the help section. ...

How do I get data for excel 2003
I am trying to learn Excel 2003 - want to make a speadsheet. Cannot find out how to get the information from documents I have in Word into Excel. Is there a way to connect these programs. Have searched all info online and am so confused. Copy and paste? -- Andy Wiggins FCCA www.BygSoftware.com Excel, Access and VBA Consultancy - "Bev" <Bev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F4E96BE-C1A4-40BA-8D1E-E63B2B610FA4@microsoft.com... > I am trying to learn Excel 2003 - want to make a speadsheet. Cannot find out > how to get the information from documents...

Publisher crashes when printing
Can anybody offer any help.... I'm running Publisher (2002), and a printing problem has slowly manifested itself over the last few months. Now everytime I print ANY Publisher document, the document will print but Publisher will then crash, with the standard "encountered an error" message appearing. I have reinstalled Publisher - made no difference. I have all updates installed. All my printer drivers work fine with all other products. I have send countless error reports to Microsoft, never heard anything back. I can now no longer use Publisher for anything I want to print(!)....

forged sender domain
Can anyone tell me if sending an email with a forged sender domain (for example the sender domain=the destination domain) actually violates any RFCs for internet mail? We are working with a service that sends legitimate mail to us but it appears "from" us. A recent policy addition by our ISP to block internet mail from our local domain has started blocking this real mail and we are left to solve the problem. Thanks I don't know about the RFCs but it will be flagged as suspect (possibly forged) if anyone is doing a reverse DNS lookup. Nue "William Gilles" <Wil...

Printing footnotes in Excel
Hello I am trying to print a landscape page, with headers and footers, with the sheet fit to 1x1 page. I want to have footnotes at the bottom of the page, which I am doing just by inserting enough rows manually until the sheet starts to get squashed width-wise (before footnotes, the sheet is significantly wider than it is tall, so it is the width that is driving the shrinkage factor). However, it does not let me get the footnotes at the bottom of the page. When in Page Layout view (in 2007) it includes six blank rows below the bottom line (outside of the print area). It is as if the margi...

User mail msgs delivered to administrator mbx
I have a bit of a mystery which I am at a loss as to how to track down. On a periodic cleanup of the administrator mailbox on a cliente SBS2003 I found a load of messages which should have been delivered to user mailboxes. Reading from the admin mailbox, the messages all have a to field set to the users name, and have not been reformatted such as may happen with bounced messages. If I take a particular message and check back in the logs the first mention in the daily log for a given message has from-column thesource@clientedom.com to-column administrator@mydom.com and not as you wo...

Cannot see child domain users in parent domain
Our domain has exchange servers in the parent domain and no exchange server in the child domain, when i create a mailbox for a user in the child domain the user can connect through OWA. The preview of the GAL on the server contains the user but on an outlook client i cannot find that user. the user cannot configure outlook because its name doesn't appear in the address list. help wanted please See if this helps re Outlook: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297801/en-us Nue "Hidma" <Hidma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B0BF06DC-C9EC-483E-B219-FC3AB...

Exch. Server in Child Domain
I've added both exchange servers in the replication tab of all the objects that I want to replicate... Should the folder just appear in the child domain users' public folder stack? Exchange Server 2003 on Windows Server 2003 Dan Klinge wrote: > But.....how do I get the Parent Domain's calendars to show up in the Child > Domain's users' outlook??? > > > > "Dan Klinge" <Dan.Klinge@NOSPAMJERKArborMed.com> wrote in message > news:%23pblelKOGHA.3728@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... >> Yes. I just setup replication of the two main public c...

Need help configuring cash drawer to Star TSP143 thermal printer
Hi all I have been trying to connect a cash drawer to this printer but i cant seems to get it working Does anyone has a step by step way to configure star TSP 143 printer to work with cash drawer ?? My RMS is v2.0 I use Star TSP 143 thermal printer (I hope most of you have it cause its one of the popular printer for RMS). I have been testing with 2 cash drawers (brand "Eutron" and brand "Cashine"). I have the correct cable and connect it to the drawer kick (DK) port of the printer. Drawers are new and unlocked I installed the printer driver. configure it to use Star...

Printing of pages
Sorry for the newbie question. Can you specify in Excel 2007, the order for pages to be printed out without manually rearranging them yourself? Thanks You could create your own macro that prints the sheets in the order you want regardless of their location on the wbook: Sub aPrint() Sheets("Sheet3").PrintOut copies:=1 Sheets("Sheet1").PrintOut copies:=1 Sheets("Sheet2").PrintOut copies:=1 End Sub -- "Actually, I *am* a rocket scientist." -- JB Your feedback is appreciated, click YES if this post helped you. "Charles Eaves" wrote: &...

multiple Domains under one domain or multiple forests under one forest
I have to research on below scenario. Asia regional countries are in separate forests/single domains Europe has forest and child domains. Europe is separate systems only connected via WAN only. Our proposal was make one forest under Europe as =91APAC=92, and then we will migrate regional counties under to APAC forest to appropriate Trees. Europe proposed that instead of creating APAC migrate all the Asia regional forest to one of Europe Domain. As example, migrate all Asia user accounts to Germany domain under Europe forest. for me putting every domain to one domain sounds messy f...

Why has my Office Jet Printer stopped appearing on My Computer?
I love my HP Office Jet Pro 1150c All-in-one Printer/Scanner/Copier which I have been using for six years or more. For the last week or so I have been unable to get it to scan, and I find that when I go into 'My Computer' the Office Jet Pro icon (which was always there) which when right clicked allowed me to use the scanner is there no longer. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing it but to no avail. I use XP Service Pack 2. Any ideas as to how I might be able to reactivate the scanner? When you re-install a printer driver it doesn't necessarily overwrite the old with...

how to get a domain name
I sampled Outlook and obtained a license for it but how do I download it, open it or create it? Am I allowed a domain name? What are you talking about? Outlook is a PIM - nothing to do with = domains.=20 If you purchased Outlook, put in the CD, put in your PID when prompted, = then configure a mail account and start using Outlook. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, AJ asked: | I sampled Outlook and obtained...

User disabled undo in excel
I have a user who somehow has disabled the undo in a spreadsheet. That's odd. You mean if he types something in a cell and immediately presses Ctrl-z it doesn't disappear? -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "YvonneD" <YvonneD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3C14E661-49AF-4199-A905-AE700042D28E@microsoft.com... |I have a user who somehow has disabled the undo in a spreadsheet. Thats right. Can for the life of me figure what he did. "Jim Rech" wrote: > That's odd. You mean if he types something in a cell and immediately > presses C...

Report Printing
When trying to print monthly reports in Money 2000 using XP, I get the following error message: "A required entry in the Registry has been removed or corrupted. Please reinstall Money. Otherwise, Money may not be able to run properly." Numerous re-installs have been unsuccessful in fixing the problem. Any thoughts? Try removing first, then reinstall to a new folder. If that doesn't work, it could be corruption, but definitely remove/reinstall first. "Craig" <craigcarefoot@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:006801c351f8$cf831740$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Whe...

HR needs to monitor a users mailbox
Our HR Department asked me if there is a way for them to see all mail that a particular user recieves, deletes, and sends out on a daily basis. I know I can give them access to the mailbox, but they could accidently open a message which might make the user aware that they are being monitored. What is the best way for me to make this happen? - move to a separate Store and enable message journaling - allow access to mailbox and change Outlook/OWA settings to "Do not automatically mark items as read" -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT -------------------------------- "Bruce"...

One spreadsheet cell won't print but shows up in print preview?
One cell of my 14 column/40 row Excel spreadsheet won't print! The numerical figure in that cell shows up on Print Preview but the cell is blank when I print the spreadsheet. I have checked the original template/formulas that I set up. If I use the template to start a new spreadsheet then that particular cell (D15) will print. Howeveer, I have tried completely re-typing my May sales figures onto the Template but the same problem occurs. The amount shown in D15 shows on Print Preview but won't show on the printed copy. (Although the figure doesn't print it still works i...

how do I set up an input calendar for users in excel
I would like to display a calender box for users to select the date. Similar to those you see on the web. Is this possible in Excell (Office 2007). I will use the input for a lookup later on. Any advice please. Look here: http://www.rondebruin.nl/calendar.htm -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "MikeL" <MikeL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FEE56819-E280-4EBD-8457-119AE42B040E@microsoft.com... >I would like to display a calender box for users to select the date. >Similar > to those you see on the web. Is this...

Exchange 2003 OWA #2
Does anybody know how to hide the S/MIME feature under options in OWA 2003. I would like to hide this feature so my users do not try and click the download button. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ...

Print on two sides
I have an application that printed multiple pages and I have a printer (BROTHER 5370DW) that allows this. I select the printer using the CommonDialog1.ShowPrinter command and then click on the printer preferences to select two-sided printing. However, when the actual printing takes place is does not print two-sided. Is there something in VB print methods that would over-ride this option or not allow it? Marv On Jun 15, 2:40=A0pm, M Wade <nowh...@columbus.rr.com> wrote: > I have an application that printed multiple pages and I have a printer > (BROTHER 5370D...

printer problems
white strips down my printed document do i need to clean the contacts shawna That's not a Word issue. Did you try cleaning it? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "sweetie" <sweetie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:129A1B76-9D02-48AE-AB3F-7EBDD6D4DCA2@microsoft.com... > white strips down my printed document do i need to clean the contacts > > > > shawna ...

Upgrade from Win 2003 Server to SBS Prem
Hi, I have the following problem: In the moment CRM1.2 runs on a Server 2003, the SQL Server is on the same machine and Exchange 2000. The thing we plan is to 'upgrade' the Win2003 to Win SBS Prem and Exchange should be transported to SBS too. It should be a one box solution then. Does Microsoft provide a chacklist for that case - or could someone give me some details about critical points!? Thanks for help, Bernd Michitsch ...

Outlook 2003 hangs when creating new Exchange Account/Connection
Ok, well Im on the edge of giving up. Heres the Scenario I just got done installing my Exchange 2003 server on a windows 2003 server. Runs great. I went around and set up all the other computers in the office to connect to it and when i added them, they snapped to, i mean you go, control panel, email, new email, exchange account, and then put in your server name, and your user name, and you click check name, and it worked for everyone. Except my computer. My user name works on other computers. I was able to get one error to pop up saying it couldnt communicate with the server. But i c...

Is MSO 2003 able to run on Windows7 64-bit
Hi I am currently running on windows 7 ultimate and would like to run my MSO 2003 for 32-bit version because i am dual booting win XP 32-bit and windows 7 64-bit when I want to open the office in windows 7 it shows "The operating system is not presently configured to run this application". Thanks It runs fine. How did you install it? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, James ...

"Block auto-forward outside local domain" question
I know that Exchange can be configured to block auto-forward/redirection outside of it's own domain, and that this can be enabled for certain specified domains. But is there the possibility to add a "user exit" that can also enable this feature, based on some programtic criteria? For example, if Exchange user X has an external e-mail address my-x@somewhere.else.net, could a user exit allow X to auto-forward to their external account? If "yes", where is some information about this feature, and where would be a good place to configure the external e-mail address to mak...