Consolidation of 2 SBS2003 domains into one Windows 2008+Exchange 2007

Hi all!

I have to do a consolidation of two existent SBS2003 into a Windows
2008+Exchange 2007 (it is OK to either remain with one of the 2
SBS2003 domains in the end, either to have a new one).  Which is the
correct path that I should follow?  I undestood that it is not
possible to set trust relationships in SBS2003, so I suppost ADMT is
not a solution? I have done various migrations and consolidations
using ADMT before, but I'm not sure what is the correct procedure for
this case, due to the SBS2003 limitations.

  Thank you,

           Rumburak.
0
Rumburak

Hi Rumburak:

There are quite a few ways to do this, but I can't tell from your post if
you have 2 users in each domain or 70, and the answer might depend on how
many desktops have to be touched.

The most manual way is to create the new domain on the new box, create all
the users, create the new exchange server on box 2 and leave it run for a
few days to break in.

Then, on each SBS, export or copy all the mail out to .pst files, remove
each worstation from the SBS domain and join them to the new domain (same
or different name, dosen't matter), then import the mail back into the users
mailbox.

Then move all the data and recreate the shares.

A slightly less manual way would be to use the SBS transistion pack for 2003,
if you can find one, and grow one SBS out of the restrictions.  This leaves
everything intact for that domain and allows you to move the exchange to
a new box.  Then the second domain would have to be moved manually as described
above.

But the best way may be found at www.sbsmigration.com.  I would certainly
make a connection with them and determine if they offer you a better path
to the goal you have in mind.

-
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
issue so others may benefit
-
Get Your SBS Health Check at
www.sbsbpa.com

> Hi all!
>
> I have to do a consolidation of two existent SBS2003 into a Windows
> 2008+Exchange 2007 (it is OK to either remain with one of the 2
> SBS2003 domains in the end, either to have a new one).  Which is the
> correct path that I should follow?  I undestood that it is not
> possible to set trust relationships in SBS2003, so I suppost ADMT is
> not a solution? I have done various migrations and consolidations
> using ADMT before, but I'm not sure what is the correct procedure for
> this case, due to the SBS2003 limitations.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Rumburak.

0
Larry
5/17/2010 3:04:23 PM
Hi Larry and thank you for your answer.

 Here are some more details on the consolidation I will have to do:
actually there are 2 different SBS2003 (SBS2003 A with about 50 users
and SBS2003 B with about 20 users), in both places are used only
Active Directory, file shares and Exchange.
  I thought of two possible scenarios for the consolidation of the two
SBS into a single Windows 2008 domain with Exchange 2010 (seems it
will be 2010 in the end and not 2007):
1. Convert both SBS2003 to Win 2008 and Exchange, and afterwards use
ADMT for consolidating the 2 domains. Advantages: it should quite easy
to do the conversione and the consolidation is well documented for
using ADMT, no need to do work manually at the users PC.
Disadvantages: Probably there will be a need for more licenses to be
bought (4 Windows 2008 Standard and 2 Exchange 2010 I think should do
the trick), maybe I could use temporary versions (trial -> not
registered), although I don't like this very much.
2. Manually add users from SBS2003 B (20 users) to SBS2003 A,
exporting mailboxes and reimporting them in SBS2003 A, recreating the
shares for them on another Win2003 server that already exists in
SBS2003 B. Afterward convert SBS2003 A to Win2008+Exchange 2010.
Advantages: It doesn't need more licenses that in the final state
(only 2 Win 2003 Std + 1Exchange2010) and should work well.
Disadvantages: it involves quite a lot of manual work in recreating
the users, the ACLs on their shares, moving the profiles and moving
the mailboxes...

   I can think of another path, but I'm not sure if this could work:
insert new Win2008 Std in SBS2003 A as domain controller (with GC and
so on), promote as domain controller the existing Win 2003 Std of
SBS2003 B (with GC and so on), take over the FSMO rolse on the new
domain controllers, demote SBS2003 both in A and B and maintain only
the Exchange part on the SBS2003. Afterwards use ADMT to consolidate
and install Exchange 2010 on A in the end and move mailboxes over. I'm
not sure if it is possible to demote SBS2003 AND maintain Exchange on
it (even if only for a short while, it would be ok if it worked for 7
days like the SBS without the FSMO roles...).

   Any idea on those paths?
Thank you,
        Rumburak

0
Rumburak
5/18/2010 2:49:28 PM
Rumburak,

Larry mentioned SBSmigration.com, that's my website and this is among the
project scenarios that I can provide you with full documentation from end to
end, support, and a construction path that doesn't require significant
disruption to your domain operations. Though you won't see this domain
consolidation project listed on the standard packages offered, it's a
project I have outlined in details and support. I just require folks to
prequalify with me to ensure that they understand the full scale of this
project, it's not a trivial project, it requires a fair amount of planning.

Each of the outlines you have suggested are potentially an option, the last
one you address is most similar to what I would recommend as your best
option, it's the path I have documented with some additional variations
available.

You haven't really addressed one of the key points here as you go through
this discussion, that being that you talked about bringing these domains
together but I never saw you make reference to the Forest and Domain
identifications of these respective domains or whether you care to
prioritize having new Forest identity.

Ultimately I can provide you with documentation and support on any one of
the three paths, but I don't think that either of the first two options make
sense once you understand the full implications of the third option
performed as a Swing Migration. The way you described it isn't exactly the
construction path I would recommend, but it's got the core concepts of
integrating the domains in a convenient way. I believe you getting hung up
on the SBS concepts here as if it is a special case, and it's not.

Jeff Middleton SBS-MVP
www.SBSmigration.com
ycst@SBSmigration.com

"Rumburak" <bota.florin@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Larry and thank you for your answer.
>
> Here are some more details on the consolidation I will have to do:
> actually there are 2 different SBS2003 (SBS2003 A with about 50 users
> and SBS2003 B with about 20 users), in both places are used only
> Active Directory, file shares and Exchange.
>  I thought of two possible scenarios for the consolidation of the two
> SBS into a single Windows 2008 domain with Exchange 2010 (seems it
> will be 2010 in the end and not 2007):
> 1. Convert both SBS2003 to Win 2008 and Exchange, and afterwards use
> ADMT for consolidating the 2 domains. Advantages: it should quite easy
> to do the conversione and the consolidation is well documented for
> using ADMT, no need to do work manually at the users PC.
> Disadvantages: Probably there will be a need for more licenses to be
> bought (4 Windows 2008 Standard and 2 Exchange 2010 I think should do
> the trick), maybe I could use temporary versions (trial -> not
> registered), although I don't like this very much.
> 2. Manually add users from SBS2003 B (20 users) to SBS2003 A,
> exporting mailboxes and reimporting them in SBS2003 A, recreating the
> shares for them on another Win2003 server that already exists in
> SBS2003 B. Afterward convert SBS2003 A to Win2008+Exchange 2010.
> Advantages: It doesn't need more licenses that in the final state
> (only 2 Win 2003 Std + 1Exchange2010) and should work well.
> Disadvantages: it involves quite a lot of manual work in recreating
> the users, the ACLs on their shares, moving the profiles and moving
> the mailboxes...
>
>   I can think of another path, but I'm not sure if this could work:
> insert new Win2008 Std in SBS2003 A as domain controller (with GC and
> so on), promote as domain controller the existing Win 2003 Std of
> SBS2003 B (with GC and so on), take over the FSMO rolse on the new
> domain controllers, demote SBS2003 both in A and B and maintain only
> the Exchange part on the SBS2003. Afterwards use ADMT to consolidate
> and install Exchange 2010 on A in the end and move mailboxes over. I'm
> not sure if it is possible to demote SBS2003 AND maintain Exchange on
> it (even if only for a short while, it would be ok if it worked for 7
> days like the SBS without the FSMO roles...).
>
>   Any idea on those paths?
> Thank you,
>        Rumburak

0
Jeff
5/20/2010 2:26:35 PM
Thank you Jeff for your answer.

    I saw your site before, but since there was not mentioned neither
a path for migration to Exchange 2010, neither one for consolidating
two different existing SBS I thought you deal only with a true "swing"
migration, meaning replacing a SBS2003 server with a different server
(either same or superior SBS version, either upgrading to standard
Windows + Exchange up to 2007). So you have a migration path that can
apply for this kind of project (going from 2 SBS2003 servers to a
single Win 2008+Exchange 2010)?
    I don't really care if the final domain will be one of the
existing ones, a new domain in one of the existing forests or a
complretelly new forest. Now both SBS2003 are of the same company
(they had to use 2 SBS2003 due to bandwidth restrictions, so a Win
2003 server in the existing domain was not a choice due to the 20
users having to access the Exchange on the remote site) and they will
move to a new location, where all users will be in the same place. The
domains have different names (luckily), but the users have the same
email address space (with Exchange configuration for forwarding mail
for unknown users to their internet provider, from where the POP3
connector downloads their internet mail).
   As soon I will get the new hardware (two-three weeks from now I
hope) I will do some tests in order to see if I can use the third path
as you recommended. Fortunately they intend to use Vmware so I will be
able to virtualize and test in a virtual environment most of the
procedure before doing it for real. The more detailed procedure thay I
came up with is the following (I omitted the safe parts, like backup
everything and so one, indicating only the actual migration parts):
1. Install Service packs in both SBS domains A and B.
2. Install a Win 2003 Standard in both domains (actually one of them
has alreay one).
3. Make the Win 2003 a domain controller and a global catalog. Check
for actually transferring all data and do a reboot , checking for the
events showing that it acts as a GC.
4. Use exmerge to export the mailboxes of the users in Domain B (just
to be sure).
5. Transfer all 5 FSMO roles to the new DC in domains.
6. Use ADMT to transfer users and machines from domain B to domain A.
6. Transfer mailboxes of users in domain B to Exchange on SBS in
domain A.
7. After checking that all users were correctly transferred and that
they can work in domain A proceed to an upgrade of the A domain into a
new Win 2008 DC and move mailboxes to a new Exchange 2010 server (as
alreay documented around the net).

  Practically I will divide the procedure in two different steps: one
for consolidating the two different SBS into one and afterwards a
second one for moving from SBS2003 to Win2008+Exchange2010. I don't
care much about the users files in domain B (I will transfer it over
only in the end to the new server and reapply correct ACL by using a
scripted cacls type -already done that different times, so this is not
a problem), and I'm not very much concerned about their profiles
(since there are only 20 users in the worst case I can manually move
their profile from the old server to the new one and assign the ACL
for accessing the profile directory as well as manually loading the
ntuser.dat hive and assign ACL for accessing the registry keys).
  Well I will wait for the new hardware and do some testing before
deciding how to proceed. I would sure love to know that you have a
documented procedure that I can buy in case the things are not sorting
out well during the testing.

On 20 Mag, 16:26, "Jeff Middleton [SBS-MVP]" <j...@cfisolutions.com>
wrote:
> Rumburak,
>
> Larry mentioned SBSmigration.com, that's my website and this is among the
> project scenarios that I can provide you with full documentation from end to
> end, support, and a construction path that doesn't require significant
> disruption to your domain operations. Though you won't see this domain
> consolidation project listed on the standard packages offered, it's a
> project I have outlined in details and support. I just require folks to
> prequalify with me to ensure that they understand the full scale of this
> project, it's not a trivial project, it requires a fair amount of planning.
>
> Each of the outlines you have suggested are potentially an option, the last
> one you address is most similar to what I would recommend as your best
> option, it's the path I have documented with some additional variations
> available.
>
> You haven't really addressed one of the key points here as you go through
> this discussion, that being that you talked about bringing these domains
> together but I never saw you make reference to the Forest and Domain
> identifications of these respective domains or whether you care to
> prioritize having new Forest identity.
>
> Ultimately I can provide you with documentation and support on any one of
> the three paths, but I don't think that either of the first two options make
> sense once you understand the full implications of the third option
> performed as a Swing Migration. The way you described it isn't exactly the
> construction path I would recommend, but it's got the core concepts of
> integrating the domains in a convenient way. I believe you getting hung up
> on the SBS concepts here as if it is a special case, and it's not.
>
> Jeff Middleton SBS-MVPwww.SBSmigration.com
> y...@SBSmigration.com

0
Rumburak

FlexGrid #2
Hi, How to add rows and columns in a MSFlex Grid in MFC/ATL... Any idea...? Thanks in advance TestHim wrote: > Hi, > How to add rows and columns in a MSFlex Grid in MFC/ATL... > Any idea...? > Thanks in advance m_grid->SetRows(100); Regards, Danny Springer Hi, I have put this MSFlexGrid in a composite control. Although i have access to its events but how do i access object or pointer to MSFlexGrid. For ex- if i have to set rows and columns in initialization I don't have the Flexgrid object or its pointer which I can use. Any suggestion? >-----Original Message--...

Re: #2

links #2
Who knows a way to un-link those links in a sheet? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements You can convert them to values. If you have xl2002 (or higher???), you can edit|links|Break link. In earlier versions, you can copy|paste special values. And to help find those pesky links: Bill Manville's findlink.zip from: http://www.BMSLtd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm won...

Upgragding to 1.2 to 1.3
Receiving the media on Monday. Any issues that I should be aware of? Pralell dongle. Best, M Manny, Why not wait til 1.3R due within the next couple of weeks? Otherwise, backup your database and any customized reports and/or receipts. If you get a license violation after the install, just unplug and re-plug in your dongle. -- * Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security You must be using Outlook Express or some other type of newsgroup reader to see and download the file attachment. If you are not using a reader, follow the link below to setup Outlook Express. Click on "Open wi...

cell format changing when when using search and replace. #2
I have a macro that places a large number of pictures on a spreadsheet. I would like the pictures to show as "placeholders" to speed up viewing/editing. The only problem is that this feature (under Tools/Options/View) does not work. All the images are being display normally. I have tried this in Excel 2000/2003/XP with the same result. This feature works great in MS Word. Please help. To see what I'm talking about. Go to Tools/Options/View and check the "Show Placeholders" option. Now insert a picture or clipart. The image will be displayed normally instead of just a b...

Consolidating Personal Folders
I have somehow opened up 4 personal folders. How do I consolidate all of them into one personal folder and merge all the information. Next, how do I delete the other personal folders? I've read through a couple of books but I can't find the information. Any help would be very much appreciated Thanks MikeSellers Move the contents of the folders to the folder that you want to keep. You can disconnect from the other pst-files by rightclicking the root folder and choose Close. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook I...

Custom Reports #2
Hi All, I want to create a custom report in Great Plains that Can take a Date Range or other variable such as used with the Trial Balance report. Is this possible? If so can someone point me in the right direction. For example I can create the report but I do not know how to limit the results depending on the requirements of the user. Only with VBA. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Adam" wrote: > Hi All, > > I want to create a custom report in Great Plains that Can take a Date Range > or other variable such as used with the Trial Balance report. Is this > poss...

I need to make a business card bigger: for ID badges. How? #2
My boss wants me to create ID badges. I decided to use the business card layouts and was planning on enlarging them but I can't figure out how to do that. I've printed a million cards thinking I had figured it out. Can someone help me? PLEASE!!!! What version Publisher? If you are using 2007, File, Page Setup, Mailing Labels, Avery US Letter. Select one of the labels, 5524 looks as though it is a name tag. If you know the size of your badge holder, finding the correct size will be within the label choices. There are Word templates here http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Search/_/?...

Newsgroups #2
Why am I having this problem going to "Newsgroups" and how do I correct it? This is the error message I keep getting. Thanks, Tim MSIMN caused an invalid page fault in module MSOE.DLL at 018f:007c5a55. Registers: EAX=00000000 CS=018f EIP=007c5a55 EFLGS=00010246 EBX=00000000 SS=0197 ESP=0056f6bc EBP=0056fa08 ECX=00000000 DS=0197 ESI=00000104 FS=10af EDX=016404bc ES=0197 EDI=0056f9d0 GS=0000 Bytes at CS:EIP: 8b 08 8d 95 c8 fd ff ff 52 50 ff 91 b8 00 00 00 Stack dump: 00000104 00001073 bff8516b 00000000 00000000 0056f7f4 007c5840 00000000 0056f6ec 00000108 bff8516b 00001073 a577...

Importing mail from Windows Mail to WLM
I recently upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 Home Premium. I successfully imported mail from Windows Mail to WLM but am unable to view the imported messages. Help! View | Layout | Folder Pane. Is: Show Storage Folders checked? -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "len" <len@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1D902CFE-2318-4345-9897-E66138F3AD4E@microsoft.com... >I recently upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 Home Premium. I successfully > imported mail from Windows Mail to WLM but am unable to view the...

Seperation of Exchange from active directory
Hi all, we are having active directory integrated exchange server. Due to heavy load, now we want to seperate active directory and exchange server in 2 diferrent servers. Can any help me how to go about it. OS - 2K3 standard Exchange - 2k3 standard There is a good KB article for Nuevo's recommendation. The KB is KB822931 http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/822931 Don't forget to move your FSMO roles, DNS (if needed), etc. if you decide to remove the first DC. -- Bob Christian II MVP - LCS http://bobchristian.blogspot.com - Blog "Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail...

Value Axis Scale Change Problem #2
Thanks Jon - problem solved -- dp_fulche ----------------------------------------------------------------------- dp_fulcher's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=969 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27033 ...

Any way to add contacts from sent messages in Outlook 2007?
Hi, is there any way to add contacts to the Outlook phonebook from archived sent messages? I know there was a third party tool for Outlook Express. Thanks! Open the message and right click on the recipient's email address. You will get a pop-up menu and one of the options is to "Add to Outlook Contacts". <diego.novilinguists@gmail.com> wrote in message news:948856fc-7857-4da5-8037-f24618b2d9aa@d4g2000prg.googlegroups.com... > Hi, is there any way to add contacts to the Outlook phonebook from > archived sent messages? I know there was a third party tool for > Ou...

2 further: capture Event from MS Web browser (shdocvw.dll) 2
Hi all, Thanks for your guidence... >Another way, as shown by Paul Dilaschia might work for you. He >discussed it few years ago in MSDN: >http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/09/c/default.aspx >He simply subclasses the IE window and traps some messages. I suspect >it will do what you are looking for. I have looked that example it was something i was looking for... But ..... My primary concern is to display MS Office documents and PDF document. I have tried to load such documents And they were loaded but was getting crashed In d'tor.... ? Another thing that als...

Exchange 2007 AntiSpam
We have a user who is getting a LOT of SPAM. Many of these contain a specific word or words. I went into Exchange Management Console - Organization Configuration - Hub Transport - Anti-Spam - Content Filtering - Custom Words, and added the word(s) in question to the "blocked" section. This did not stop the messages with those words from being delivered. Is there something that I am missing here? I even tried rebooting the server but still get the SPAM. Thanks. On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 08:20:51 -0500, "Mark" <markl@csbonline.net> wrote: >We have...

Shipping document #2
Hi, I am using GP 10 with the Country/Region Selection as United States. Since I have a peculiar requirement for shipping documents. I came to know regarding German Shipping documents which will suit my requirement exactly, but it requires Germany as Country/Region Selection. Is there anyway to use this Germany shipping documents eventhough my installation is United States? Anyone has that chunk file which will work in United States installation? Thanks in advance. Madan ...

consolidate queries
I have many too many queries, which I use to gather data for a report. I hope someone can suggest how to consolidate them. For example, 8 of my queries are of the exact same form, except the value of one field is one of 8 possibilities. Here is the SQL for the qCUS query: SELECT q1Main.DReferred, q1Main.CaseType FROM q1Main WHERE (((q1Main.DReferred)>=[Forms]![fgetStats]![tbxBegDate] And (q1Main.DReferred)<=[Forms]![fgetStats]![tbxEndDate]) AND ((q1Main.CaseType)="CUS")); The only difference between the 8 queries is that in the qCUS query, CaseType = "...

Consolidation Worksheet Data Sequence
I'm consolidating 3 worksheets into one by using Excel 2007 data consolidation. The worksheets have a product number in column A and sales figures in columns B, C & D for Jan, Feb and Mar. The worksheets are in product number sequence. Not all product numbers appear on each sheet, so I consolidate by category using "labels in left column" and "create links to source data" to create a consolidation sheet in outline form. The problem is the consolidated worksheet is not in product number sequence as I need it to be. I have books on Excel 2007 and Excel 2003 and their ...

View pic in preview pane #2
Is it possible to customise the preview pane in such a way that attached pictures on recieved emails can be seen immediately, instead of having to save them before hand?? ...

Office 2004 and Windows 2003 Server Home Folder
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3227083597_4213755 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit Hello, I have all my Mac users authenticate to a Windows 2003 Server and also store their Home folder on that server. Office 2004 is installed on the local computer. Each time an Office application is launched, it goes through what appears to be the First Run process � Configuring Office Components and Optimizing Font menu performance, etc. ...

Customizing Outlook Today #2
Cannot customize Outlook Today. When I select the customize button nothing happens. Any ideas? http://support.microsoft.com/?id=820575 should fix the problem. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. "John VV" <john@pacificwoodworking.com> wrote in message news:09ad01c34fc3$1d6f8250$a001280a@phx.gbl... | Cannot customize Outlook Today. When I select the | customize button nothing happens. Any ideas? ...

how do i? #2
i would like to put a name or a number in "A1" but i want it so that i can not be changed. even when i clear the contents of the sheet -- just1creatio ----------------------------------------------------------------------- just1creation's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3546 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=56285 You can put something in A1, then lock that cell (format|Cells|Protection tab), then protect the worksheet (tools|Protection|Protect sheet). But there are lots of things that can't be do...

Macros in Access 2007
Hello, I have a database ported from Access 2002 to Access 2007 and I cannot figure out how to go to a specific macro and either edit it or rename it. Pressing Macro on the Ribbon I get a design page for creating a new macro but how do I edit an existing macro. The only thing I'm able to do is create or run a macro. Thanks, Vic Display the navigation pane if it is not showing. Single click on the macro with the mouse. Ctrl+Enter on the Macro or Right Click on the Macro will take you to edit it. "AnandaSim" <AnandaSim@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1188968043.2...

icverify #2
Does icverify work with rms, if so can anyone guide me how to set it up? AKA ICTERIFFY dont do it get TPI -- Maurice Gordon Maurice@americanretailsupply.com Sales/Support 1-800-426-5708 XT 1307 "TJW" <TJW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E2FD0587-E660-4570-AB66-FDEAD847E8D3@microsoft.com... > Does icverify work with rms, if so can anyone guide me how to set it up? On Mar 25, 12:55=A0pm, "Maurice @ ARS" <maur...@americanretailsupply.com> wrote: > AKA ICTERIFFY dont do it get TPI > > -- > Maurice Gordon > Maur...@america...

Data Consolidation
Biff: Thanks so much for your input on the automation. After a small bit of tweaking, your formula worked like a charm. Now that I have the correlation multi-year table comparison automated, I would like to consolidate each commodities multi-year correlation into an overall correlation set. What I have now is five sets of correlation rows/commodity (representing the five historical data sets) which look like the following: Australian Dollar (AD) Correlations ============================== 1yr: C S PN SI SM 5yr: BO BP CD DX EU GC S SF SM 10yr: DX EU GC MP SF SI W 15yr: DX TU SP MP 20yr: CC G...