Connectivity Problems

Sorry about the length of this post, but I have no idea what I'm talking
about, let alone explain it!

We have two sites (Head Office and Remote) with a Netgear FVS338 VPN
firewall at each end.  The remote site connects via a Terminal Server and
runs a couple of EPOS systems.
Our setup in the Head Office is thus:

Workstation -> SBS 2003 R2 Standard -> FVS338 VPN Firewall -> Internet
Router

Recently, the VPN keeps dropping and if I set up a permanent ping I can see
that several times a day we get 7 or 8 pings timing out.  This is enough to
kill the EPOS connections.

Making a very, very long story short, I've set up various permanent pings
and discovered this.....
If connect a workstation directly to the Internet Router there's no problem.
If I connect a workstation directly to the FVS338 there's no problem.
If I connect the workstation to the network via the SBS box I get the pings
dropping.

I've changed the router and firewall with no success and Netgear tech and
the ISP are convinced the problem isn't with them (after several days of
diagnostics).

As luck would have it, I'm setting up a SBS 2008 box to replace the SBS 2003
and this is now sitting on a different ip address using a different FVS338
connected to the same Internet Router.  This is pinging away quite happily
without any drop outs.

I'm now beginning to suspect that problem is sitting on our SBS 2003 box but
I have absoloutly no idea where to look.
Has anyone come across this before and, if so, throw me a few pointers?

Many thanks.

0
Waggers

"Waggers" <Waggers@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> Sorry about the length of this post, but I have no idea what I'm talking
> about, let alone explain it!
>
> We have two sites (Head Office and Remote) with a Netgear FVS338 VPN
> firewall at each end.  The remote site connects via a Terminal Server and
> runs a couple of EPOS systems.
> Our setup in the Head Office is thus:
>
> Workstation -> SBS 2003 R2 Standard -> FVS338 VPN Firewall -> Internet
> Router
>
> Recently, the VPN keeps dropping and if I set up a permanent ping I can
> see that several times a day we get 7 or 8 pings timing out.  This is
> enough to kill the EPOS connections.
>
> Making a very, very long story short, I've set up various permanent pings
> and discovered this.....
> If connect a workstation directly to the Internet Router there's no
> problem.
> If I connect a workstation directly to the FVS338 there's no problem.
> If I connect the workstation to the network via the SBS box I get the
> pings dropping.
>
> I've changed the router and firewall with no success and Netgear tech and
> the ISP are convinced the problem isn't with them (after several days of
> diagnostics).
>
> As luck would have it, I'm setting up a SBS 2008 box to replace the SBS
> 2003 and this is now sitting on a different ip address using a different
> FVS338 connected to the same Internet Router.  This is pinging away quite
> happily without any drop outs.
>
> I'm now beginning to suspect that problem is sitting on our SBS 2003 box
> but I have absoloutly no idea where to look.
> Has anyone come across this before and, if so, throw me a few pointers?
>
> Many thanks.

If you swap the two Netgear FVS338  routers, does it still happily ping? If
not, I suspect an issue with the router.

For example, we had an issue with an ASA5505 that would not keep the
unlimited time-out setting I set on VPN tunnels. It wound up being a known
issue on the IOS, which I upgraded to the latest version and now works fine.

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA
2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer

For urgent issues, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check
http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

0
Ace
11/19/2009 2:17:09 PM
Thanks for the response.

Yep, we've tried swapping over the firewall and the internet router - we've
even tried new ones.  No success.

I've booked a call with Microsoft Support now and it seems that they are
struggling!

"Ace Fekay [MCT]" <aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote in message
> "Waggers" <Waggers@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>> Sorry about the length of this post, but I have no idea what I'm talking
>> about, let alone explain it!
>>
>> We have two sites (Head Office and Remote) with a Netgear FVS338 VPN
>> firewall at each end.  The remote site connects via a Terminal Server and
>> runs a couple of EPOS systems.
>> Our setup in the Head Office is thus:
>>
>> Workstation -> SBS 2003 R2 Standard -> FVS338 VPN Firewall -> Internet
>> Router
>>
>> Recently, the VPN keeps dropping and if I set up a permanent ping I can
>> see that several times a day we get 7 or 8 pings timing out.  This is
>> enough to kill the EPOS connections.
>>
>> Making a very, very long story short, I've set up various permanent pings
>> and discovered this.....
>> If connect a workstation directly to the Internet Router there's no
>> problem.
>> If I connect a workstation directly to the FVS338 there's no problem.
>> If I connect the workstation to the network via the SBS box I get the
>> pings dropping.
>>
>> I've changed the router and firewall with no success and Netgear tech and
>> the ISP are convinced the problem isn't with them (after several days of
>> diagnostics).
>>
>> As luck would have it, I'm setting up a SBS 2008 box to replace the SBS
>> 2003 and this is now sitting on a different ip address using a different
>> FVS338 connected to the same Internet Router.  This is pinging away quite
>> happily without any drop outs.
>>
>> I'm now beginning to suspect that problem is sitting on our SBS 2003 box
>> but I have absoloutly no idea where to look.
>> Has anyone come across this before and, if so, throw me a few pointers?
>>
>> Many thanks.
>

> If you swap the two Netgear FVS338  routers, does it still happily ping?
> If not, I suspect an issue with the router.
>
> For example, we had an issue with an ASA5505 that would not keep the
> unlimited time-out setting I set on VPN tunnels. It wound up being a known
> issue on the IOS, which I upgraded to the latest version and now works
> fine.
>
> --
> Ace
>
> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
> confers no rights.
>
> Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit
> among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your
> resolution.
>
> Ace Fekay, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA
> 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
> Microsoft Certified Trainer
>
> For urgent issues, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check
> http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

0
Waggers
11/19/2009 4:00:25 PM
This *really* doesn't sound like SBS to me.  SBS isn't routing your traffic
if I read your topology correctly, so I don't know why you are suspecting
it.

....but there is another piece of equipment you are skipping and you haven't
mentioned exactly when you introduce *it* into the mix....but it seems like
a logical place to look.

Connect workstation to router?  Works.
Connect workstation to firewall?  Works.
Connect workstation to "the network?"  Failure.  HOW are you connecting the
computer to "the network."  I assume....a *switch!*  Switches, like any
piece of hardware, are prone to failure.  A small ASIC on the switch
overheats, drops a few packets.....

-Cliff

> [...]
>> If not, I suspect an issue with the router.
>>
>> For example, we had an issue with an ASA5505 that would not keep the
>> unlimited time-out setting I set on VPN tunnels. It wound up being a
>> known issue on the IOS, which I upgraded to the latest version and now
>> works fine.
>>
>> --
>> Ace
>>
>> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
>> confers no rights.
>>
>> Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit
>> among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your
>> resolution.
>>
>> Ace Fekay, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA
>> 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
>> Microsoft Certified Trainer
>>
>> For urgent issues, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check

Cliff
11/19/2009 6:39:14 PM
"Waggers" <Waggers@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> Thanks for the response.
>
> Yep, we've tried swapping over the firewall and the internet router -
> we've even tried new ones.  No success.
>
> I've booked a call with Microsoft Support now and it seems that they are
> struggling!

I would look into Cliff's suggestion.

Also, please do post the solution, if you or Microsoft finds it.

Ace

0
Ace
11/19/2009 11:33:30 PM
Waggers wrote:

>Sorry about the length of this post, but I have no idea what I'm talking
>about, let alone explain it!
>
>We have two sites (Head Office and Remote) with a Netgear FVS338 VPN
>firewall at each end.  The remote site connects via a Terminal Server and
>runs a couple of EPOS systems.
>Our setup in the Head Office is thus:
>
>Workstation -> SBS 2003 R2 Standard -> FVS338 VPN Firewall -> Internet
>Router
>
>Recently, the VPN keeps dropping and if I set up a permanent ping I can
>see that several times a day we get 7 or 8 pings timing out.  This is
>enough to kill the EPOS connections.
>
>Making a very, very long story short, I've set up various permanent pings
>and discovered this.....
>If connect a workstation directly to the Internet Router there's no
>problem.
>If I connect a workstation directly to the FVS338 there's no problem.
>If I connect the workstation to the network via the SBS box I get the
>pings dropping.
>
>I've changed the router and firewall with no success and Netgear tech and
>the ISP are convinced the problem isn't with them (after several days of
>diagnostics).
>
>As luck would have it, I'm setting up a SBS 2008 box to replace the SBS
>2003 and this is now sitting on a different ip address using a different
>FVS338 connected to the same Internet Router.  This is pinging away quite
>happily without any drop outs.
>
>I'm now beginning to suspect that problem is sitting on our SBS 2003 box
>but I have absoloutly no idea where to look.
>Has anyone come across this before and, if so, throw me a few pointers?

I'd suggest switching the SBS2003 to a single NIC configuration (and rerun
the CEICW). There's little value in the two-NIC setup with your
arrangements. That takes the SBS2003 out of the picture for this scenario,
and your problem will likely disappear.

Note that getting SBS2003 to "play nice" in single NIC mode is
occasionally a PITA (it is supposed to JFDI!).

--
Steve Foster
------------

However, I've now retired the SBS2003 box (with a single LAN BTW) and
replaced it with the SBS 2008 box.

I haven't touched anything on the firewall or router and all is now working
as it should!

Many thanks to all who responded.

Waggers

"Cliff Galiher" <cgaliher@gmail.com> wrote in message
> This *really* doesn't sound like SBS to me.  SBS isn't routing your
> traffic if I read your topology correctly, so I don't know why you are
> suspecting it.
>
> ...but there is another piece of equipment you are skipping and you
> haven't mentioned exactly when you introduce *it* into the mix....but it
> seems like a logical place to look.
>
> Connect workstation to router?  Works.
> Connect workstation to firewall?  Works.
> Connect workstation to "the network?"  Failure.  HOW are you connecting
> the computer to "the network."  I assume....a *switch!*  Switches, like
> any piece of hardware, are prone to failure.  A small ASIC on the switch
> overheats, drops a few packets.....
>
> -Cliff
>

> "Waggers" <Waggers@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the response.
>>
>> Yep, we've tried swapping over the firewall and the internet router -
>> we've even tried new ones.  No success.
>>
>> I've booked a call with Microsoft Support now and it seems that they are
>> struggling!
>>

>> "Ace Fekay [MCT]" <aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote in message
>>> "Waggers" <Waggers@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message

>>> If you swap the two Netgear FVS338  routers, does it still happily ping?
>>> If not, I suspect an issue with the router.
>>>
>>> For example, we had an issue with an ASA5505 that would not keep the
>>> unlimited time-out setting I set on VPN tunnels. It wound up being a
>>> known issue on the IOS, which I upgraded to the latest version and now
>>> works fine.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ace
>>>
>>> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
>>> confers no rights.
>>>
>>> Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit
>>> among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your
>>> resolution.
>>>
>>> Ace Fekay, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA
>>> 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
>>> Microsoft Certified Trainer
>>>
>>> For urgent issues, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check
>>> http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

0
Waggers
11/21/2009 9:51:02 PM
>I agree, it doesn't seem like a SBS problem to me either.
>
> However, I've now retired the SBS2003 box (with a single LAN BTW) and
> replaced it with the SBS 2008 box.
>
> I haven't touched anything on the firewall or router and all is now
> working as it should!
>
> Many thanks to all who responded.
>
> Waggers

Good to hear it's been resolved. Thanks for posting back, too!

Ace

0
Ace

Concatenate error/problem
Hi All, Who can help me with this problem>>?? I have to concatenate 5 items (and between all items an ", " (comma)), which I let lookup from a list containing 24 rows. This is what I'm using: =CONCATENATE((VLOOKUP(B28,I30:N54,6,0)),", ",(VLOOKUP(B32,I30:N54,6,0)),", ",(VLOOKUP(B36,I30:N54,6,0)),", ",(VLOOKUP(B40,I30:N54,6,0)),", ",(VLOOKUP(B44,I30:N54,6,0)),".") In some cases my lookup value is empty... Now I get a #N/A error How can I do this right. Example: If all my lookup value are filled I get this: 1000, 2000, 3000, ...

File opening problem over network
I have what seems to be a strange excel file opening issue that I can't pinpoint and I would greatly appreciate any ideas to try for this problem. We have a network computer running windows 98 SE. On this computer there are many .xls files stored for users to access. Often when opening the files users get an error that reads: Microsoft Excel cannot open or save any more documents because there is not enough available memory or disk pace. -To make more memory available, close workbooks or programs you no longer need. -To free disk space, delete files you no longer need from the disk yo...

SBS Connectivity issues
Experiencing intermittent delays and dropped connections to Small Business Server. Config is: SBS2003 SP2 (all current patches) running on HP ML110 server; 4 PCs onsite - 3 used by onsite staff; 1 used by remote user to access server via RWW. Users run basic Office apps, Outlook, Quickbooks, internet access. Also have an Avaya VIOP phone system (4 phones) on the network. Everything has been in place for almost 4 years. Having more frequent connectivity issues. Onsite PCs show delays in Outlook connecting to Exchange ('Trying to connect ...). Remote user reports...

ODBC Connection Not Connecting
I am using the below code to 1) automatically connect to a Microsoft ODBC for Oracle connection called "FIN_CUR" and 2) run an query on a linked table in FIN_CUR The issue i am having is that the ODBC connect part of the script appears to be working, but when it goes to try to run the query I still get the popup prompting for user name and password to make the connection to the ODBC. I have verify that the user name and password are correct, but don't know what I am missing. Here is my code Public Sub OraConnect() Dim strErr As String On Error GoTo...

Out Look problem
Hi, I have the following problem with my Microsoft Outlook 2007SP2. I am running it with windows Vista 64 bit. 1. I have made four accounts with the outlook. The outLook takes forever to send and receive the messages. 2. If I exit the outlook and open it again, it does not open . I have to restart the computer again. 3. After restarting the computer and outlook. The outlook loads new messages and then it does not get new messages for a long time. It shows me the new messages after a very long time. Please advice! John #2 - after closing, go to task manager, processes...

Query based distribution list problem
Running exchange 2003. Our query based lists work fine except the sender gets an error message for accounts that have expired. Is there a way to get around this? TIA...Bob Did you mean accounts that are disabled? Accounts with expired passwords shouldn't have an issue receiving mail, afaik. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Fuzzy Logic" <bob@arc.ab.caREMOVETHIS> wrote in message news:Xns974A7C1C06982bobarcabca@207.46.248.16... > Running exchange 2003. Our query based lists work fine ...

Simultaneous socket connections. Is there a limit?
My client wants me to write an application that maintains 30 or 40 simultaneous socket connections to different hardware devices. For each device the throughput requirements are very small since only some small packets are sent occasionally at random intervals. Is there a simultaneous limit? 30 or 40 is far more then I have ever done. I don't want any surprises. Is there a limit? I assume XP Professional would handle this. Correct? Would XP Home be any different? My laptop has XP home. To certain incoming ports, its 10, although there are several cracks out their to remove this...

Outlook Win98SE Trying to Connect to Server time out. IBM 390E & Rogers.com
I have loaded Win98SE and Office 97 on an IBM 390E laptop using IBM Etherjet 10/100 network card connected to a D- Link 714P+ 4-port wire&wireless cable router. Network file transfers work fine, IE 6 works fine. Outlook often hangs when it loads and trys to connect to the (Rogers.com) server to download email messages. I contacted Rogers tech support and all settings are correct. If I take the router out of the loop and connect directly to the cable modem - Outlooks works like a charm & fast downloading of messages. I have 3 other PCs connected on the LAN and all work fine...

VPN can't connect to workstations
I am running a 2k3 network and I am trying to connect my laptop w/ Vista to it using VPN. I can connect to the server and use server shares with no problem. My problem is that it cannot connect to the workstations . Would appreciate any input on that. "john" <johnbahran@hotmail.com> said this in news item news:b4419f87-386b-41de-876a-e3546096ecc2@c34g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... > I am running a 2k3 network and I am trying to connect my laptop w/ > Vista to it using VPN. I can connect to the server and use server > shares with no problem. My problem is ...

server connect
When I first start up Outlook 2003, it contacts the mail server and everything is hunky-doory. However, when attempting to next access the mail account by the send/receive access or in background, it indicates that it cannot locate the server and gives me error (0x80004210A). This error number is not consistent other than for the 0x800 portion. The location does not change, so how can it find it initially, and not later on? I'm confused. What type of mail server? POP3, IMAP, Exchange, HTTP, Other...? Does the same happen when you disable your firewall and/or virusscanner (integra...

Outlook client sync problem
We have been running CRM 1.2 for over a year now and I have a new problem suddenly crop up. A remote outlook client that has been successfully syncing over VPN for a year or more now gets an error when he tries to go off-line. The message is: Cannot open user default database, login failed. What is more curious is data that he recently put in shows up on the main CRM server but no longer shows up in his copy while off-line. When he goes back on-line, the data is there. Goes back off-line, error message appears and recent data dissapears again. Behind the message, it appears to be ...

Print preview problem..
Hello! I'm trying to write application with print preview. It's dialog based aplication, but it's using my CViewPrintPreview class based on CView class. I don't know why, but my print preview doesn't work. Aplication crash, when i create my view. Here's code: #if !defined(AFX_VIEWPRINTPREVIEW_H__137FC880_1607_11D3_9317_8F51A5F9742F__INCLUDED_) #define AFX_VIEWPRINTPREVIEW_H__137FC880_1607_11D3_9317_8F51A5F9742F__INCLUDED_ #if _MSC_VER >= 1000 #pragma once #endif // _MSC_VER >= 1000 // ViewPrintPreview.h : header file // #include "afxpriv.h" ///...

IMAP: A connection to the server cannot be established
I have Outlook 2007 Installed on Two Separate PCs. One has Vista installed, and the other, Windows 7. McAfee Security Center is the Anti-Virus software unstalled on both PCs. I have setup 2 IMAP Accounts on each PC and can only get the ones on the Vista Box to work correctly. This is the error I keep getting on the Windows 7 Box: Task 'Synchronizing subscribed folders for [my-email-account].' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for [my-email-account]. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this ...

Windows Calender Problem.
Windows Calendar does not notify me of events. When I load task scheduler it says "Task image is corrupt or has been tampered with mcupdate" and "Task image is corrupt or has been tampered with Reminders-name" Vista Home Premium Need help to fix. Hoot Either your taskplanner is corrupt or you suffer from pre-sp2 issues : Vistas Windows Calendar has had reminder problems in its first incarnation.. SP1 / SP2 fixes the issues. mcupdate ist the Mediacenters tv guide download which is scheduled to run in the background. Also a lot of Mediacenter issues a...

IE8 and Firefox won't connect to Yuku?
I've been having an issue tonight where my internet won't connect to the Yuku site first on IE8 then on Firefox, both sites got the same screen telling me it's an inactive site and I have connection issues. I ran the trouble shooter and it's telling me I don't have an issue? I'm on Windows 7 upgrade from XP, Windows Firewall is on, spyware is AVG and Spybot. I checked all the settings and nothing looked different as I was on the site like 2 days ago. Any ideas on what the problem is? Maybe you do have connection issues? 4thjet wrote: > I've been ...

Hotmail connection
I'm new to Microsoft Outlook, and want to view and send email using Microsoft Outlook. I have used Hotmail for quite a while, and am looking for a method of "re-routing". (?) I played around with the configurations, but still could not connect to my hotmail accout through Outlook. Can any one help? Thanks. Which version of Outlook? Microsoft(R) Outlook(R) (9.0.0.2711) Internet Mail Only Copyright (c) 1995-1999 Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved. "miker67@gmail.com" wrote: > Which version of Outlook? > > zephyrus17 <zephyrus17@discussions.micros...

Is MS ever going to fix the problem with Bills?
My money file gets slower and slower every year (started in Money 95 and have used every version since then) and have confirmed the problem in my inability to easily view the "Spending tracker" in Money Plus is because the bills are somehow messed up in the background - they all seem to work fine for payment, cash flow, etc. Spending Tracker totally chokes though, taking 2-3 minutes to show up. If I clear out all bills using the "Repair Money, Remove All Bills" it works fine. But after wasting about an hour putting stuff back in, I ran across my mortgage. It seems the &qu...

Intranet Connection
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C3CF10.F7EDF7A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am trying to connect 5 computers using Outlook XP intranet. What is = the best way to connect them....using MS mail, MS Exchange, etc. Thanks Douglas ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C3CF10.F7EDF7A0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD>...

Entourage calendar sync problems

problem with CForm view
hi I am using five CFormtype views in my application. sometimes i want these five to be open. problem comes when i minimize one window then rest of the all other windows are also minimized and if I maximize one view all the others will be maximized. The problem is not there when i change the size by draging one view. can u pls help me thanks in advance with regards Harish ...

Maintain network connectivity on shutdown?
Hello, we have added a script to run at Windows shutdown and in testing it seems to at least run, but the problem is part of the script process that needs to access a server on our network fails because it appears that network connectivity has been dropped at this point in the shutdown process. Is there any way to set it so that network connectivity is retained on shutdown? For example, if there is still at least IP connectivity (but the WINS service has been shutdown), then could we run something on a command line to invoke the network resource? Any help would be greatly appreci...

Problem installing Outlook 2003 on Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit
Hi guys, I just had a 32-bit Windows XP/Office 2003 machine die on me (fried motherboard), so I bought a new box, but this time 64-bit onto which I installed Vista Ultimate SP1 (but kept Office 2003). I wanted to transfer over all my Outlook 2003 stuff from the old hard disk, to the new one, including my former inbox directory structure, all my old emails and other stuff. Following Judy Gleeson's advice, I copied over the files, and Outlook seems to have recognised them as expected. I can now see all my old inbox folders and all the old emails. The problem is that I'm unable t...

Formating problem...
I have a chart in Excel. On this chart I placed a combobox which I added using the <Forms> toolbar. My combobox displays a drop down list which I typed into an excel spreadsheet i.e. the items wanted the combobox to show. How can I format the items displayed in the combobox? If I change the original entries on the spreadsheet there is no effect. Presently all the items displayed are in black. How can I get the combobox list to show items in a bold red format for example? Ideas welcome... Alex Hi AFAIK this is not possible for this combo box -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt,...