Connection to Sql-7 Database Fails

Hello All,

Here is my problem. I have a Windows SBS 2003 Server with around 7 XP
Clients. Since i have a SQL2000 database on the server, i installed a SQL7
database on one of the client machine which runs on XP. Now when my program
access the same from database from the same machine it connects

Now i tried to access the same database from a different XP machine , i am
getting time out. Now if i give the user Administrative rights on my SBS
server, i am able to connect to the machine.

The problem seems with some security or rights issuse. How can my users
connect to the database withot having administrative rights

"George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Here is my problem. I have a Windows SBS 2003 Server with around 7 XP
> Clients. Since i have a SQL2000 database on the server, i installed a SQL7
> database on one of the client machine which runs on XP. Now when my
> program
> access the same from database from the same machine it connects
>
> Now i tried to access the same database from a different XP machine , i am
> getting time out. Now if i give the user Administrative rights on my SBS
> server, i am able to connect to the machine.
>
> The problem seems with some security or rights issuse. How can my users
> connect to the database withot having administrative rights

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're trying to do, but it sounds
like you need to give your users access to the SQL Server. You need to
either create SQL logins for each user or setup a Windows security group,
make your users members of that group, and create a sql login for the group.
Then create a user in the db for each login. See sql books online for more
details. In older SQL Server versions, administrators were automatically
added to the SysAdmin role on the SQL Server, giving them complete
permissions to do anything. This is not good from a security standpoint, but
that's probably why it works now when the user has admin rights.

0
Paul

SQL Server Backup overwrite?
My current backups are stored here S:\backup\retail123.bak. I want to over write this backup with S:\backup\retail.bak using INIT. My question is will this make two copies (retail123.bak, retail.bak) or will this overwrite the existing retail123.bak and saves only one backup i.e. retail.bak. Do I need to add SKIP command also so that it will overwrite any backup exists in that folder with retail name? Please clarify.. On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:45:58 -0700 (PDT), Bero <robertatnova@gmail.com> wrote: >My current backups are stored here S:\backup\retail123.bak. >I want t...

RMS 1.2 Database Backup
I am looking for a small batch files that backs up my POS database on a daily basis where the backup file name is the system date and time. I found a batch file backup with a fixed file name on MS Customer Source but would rather want to keep daily copies. "Gerd" <gerd.goebel@bavarian-cons.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:%23qixfi9qFHA.3736@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... >I am looking for a small batch files that backs up my POS database on a >daily basis where the backup file name is the system date and time. > > I found a batch file backup with a fixed file n...

SBS Connectivity issues
Experiencing intermittent delays and dropped connections to Small Business Server. Config is: SBS2003 SP2 (all current patches) running on HP ML110 server; 4 PCs onsite - 3 used by onsite staff; 1 used by remote user to access server via RWW. Users run basic Office apps, Outlook, Quickbooks, internet access. Also have an Avaya VIOP phone system (4 phones) on the network. Everything has been in place for almost 4 years. Having more frequent connectivity issues. Onsite PCs show delays in Outlook connecting to Exchange ('Trying to connect ...). Remote user reports...

ODBC Connection Not Connecting
I am using the below code to 1) automatically connect to a Microsoft ODBC for Oracle connection called "FIN_CUR" and 2) run an query on a linked table in FIN_CUR The issue i am having is that the ODBC connect part of the script appears to be working, but when it goes to try to run the query I still get the popup prompting for user name and password to make the connection to the ODBC. I have verify that the user name and password are correct, but don't know what I am missing. Here is my code Public Sub OraConnect() Dim strErr As String On Error GoTo...

Simultaneous socket connections. Is there a limit?
My client wants me to write an application that maintains 30 or 40 simultaneous socket connections to different hardware devices. For each device the throughput requirements are very small since only some small packets are sent occasionally at random intervals. Is there a simultaneous limit? 30 or 40 is far more then I have ever done. I don't want any surprises. Is there a limit? I assume XP Professional would handle this. Correct? Would XP Home be any different? My laptop has XP home. To certain incoming ports, its 10, although there are several cracks out their to remove this...

Outlook Win98SE Trying to Connect to Server time out. IBM 390E & Rogers.com
I have loaded Win98SE and Office 97 on an IBM 390E laptop using IBM Etherjet 10/100 network card connected to a D- Link 714P+ 4-port wire&wireless cable router. Network file transfers work fine, IE 6 works fine. Outlook often hangs when it loads and trys to connect to the (Rogers.com) server to download email messages. I contacted Rogers tech support and all settings are correct. If I take the router out of the loop and connect directly to the cable modem - Outlooks works like a charm & fast downloading of messages. I have 3 other PCs connected on the LAN and all work fine...

VPN can't connect to workstations
I am running a 2k3 network and I am trying to connect my laptop w/ Vista to it using VPN. I can connect to the server and use server shares with no problem. My problem is that it cannot connect to the workstations . Would appreciate any input on that. "john" <johnbahran@hotmail.com> said this in news item news:b4419f87-386b-41de-876a-e3546096ecc2@c34g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... > I am running a 2k3 network and I am trying to connect my laptop w/ > Vista to it using VPN. I can connect to the server and use server > shares with no problem. My problem is ...

server connect
When I first start up Outlook 2003, it contacts the mail server and everything is hunky-doory. However, when attempting to next access the mail account by the send/receive access or in background, it indicates that it cannot locate the server and gives me error (0x80004210A). This error number is not consistent other than for the 0x800 portion. The location does not change, so how can it find it initially, and not later on? I'm confused. What type of mail server? POP3, IMAP, Exchange, HTTP, Other...? Does the same happen when you disable your firewall and/or virusscanner (integra...

IMAP: A connection to the server cannot be established
I have Outlook 2007 Installed on Two Separate PCs. One has Vista installed, and the other, Windows 7. McAfee Security Center is the Anti-Virus software unstalled on both PCs. I have setup 2 IMAP Accounts on each PC and can only get the ones on the Vista Box to work correctly. This is the error I keep getting on the Windows 7 Box: Task 'Synchronizing subscribed folders for [my-email-account].' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for [my-email-account]. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this ...

IE8 and Firefox won't connect to Yuku?
I've been having an issue tonight where my internet won't connect to the Yuku site first on IE8 then on Firefox, both sites got the same screen telling me it's an inactive site and I have connection issues. I ran the trouble shooter and it's telling me I don't have an issue? I'm on Windows 7 upgrade from XP, Windows Firewall is on, spyware is AVG and Spybot. I checked all the settings and nothing looked different as I was on the site like 2 days ago. Any ideas on what the problem is? Maybe you do have connection issues? 4thjet wrote: > I've been ...

Hotmail connection
I'm new to Microsoft Outlook, and want to view and send email using Microsoft Outlook. I have used Hotmail for quite a while, and am looking for a method of "re-routing". (?) I played around with the configurations, but still could not connect to my hotmail accout through Outlook. Can any one help? Thanks. Which version of Outlook? Microsoft(R) Outlook(R) (9.0.0.2711) Internet Mail Only Copyright (c) 1995-1999 Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved. "miker67@gmail.com" wrote: > Which version of Outlook? > > zephyrus17 <zephyrus17@discussions.micros...

Intranet Connection
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C3CF10.F7EDF7A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am trying to connect 5 computers using Outlook XP intranet. What is = the best way to connect them....using MS mail, MS Exchange, etc. Thanks Douglas ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C3CF10.F7EDF7A0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD>...

corrupt dbEvent id 478: priv.stm read operation failed with error
Hello everyone, Came in this morning after a weekend, and found that out of the 3 stores that we have. One of the stores was not getting backed up and we are receiving event id 478, .the streaming page read from e:\mdbdata\level2.stm falied due to a page checksum mismatch.The read operation will fail with error -613(0xfffffd9b). If this condition persists restore the database from a previous backup. The last good backup that we have is of Friday 12pm. The good thing is that so far no one who has a mail box on that store has complained. They can access their mailboxes and also sucessf...

Maintain network connectivity on shutdown?
Hello, we have added a script to run at Windows shutdown and in testing it seems to at least run, but the problem is part of the script process that needs to access a server on our network fails because it appears that network connectivity has been dropped at this point in the shutdown process. Is there any way to set it so that network connectivity is retained on shutdown? For example, if there is still at least IP connectivity (but the WINS service has been shutdown), then could we run something on a command line to invoke the network resource? Any help would be greatly appreci...

No Internet connections in Network connections!!!
Hi im new to this forum and really need help. Yesterday I decided to set up my computer again (It had been in the garage because I wasn't using it for a while). Anyways, when I first started it up it worked fine and the internet connection worked as well. Later on it began to shut off unexpectedly if i tried to remove a program through task manager that wasn't working, so since it didn't have any important data, I decided to reformat my hardrive and reinstall microsoft xp. When I started up my cpu again, I noticed that there were no connections, even though I had not unp...

Problem accessing remote SQL Server from C# application
I have a remote SQL Sever 2008 DB which works flawlessly when using Management Studio. However, whenever I try to reach the DB from a C# app developed on Visual Studio 2008, I get "40 =96 could not open a connection to SQL server" or something similar. I guess it has nothing to do with the connection to the server, since port 1433 is open on the server, and I can access the data, and perform any operarion with it, using Management Studio. Is there any other thing I should try? Thanks is advance http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2006/09/30/SQL-Server-2005-Remot...

SQL Server Question
I know that this is probably the wrong place to put this, but I don't know where the SQL server communities are. Therefore, I am hoping someone can help me anyway. I am very new to SQL server, but have extensive experience in Access. I am now moving an Access database to SQL Server. One of my tables has about 34000 records. I moved this to SQL and then added a new field called bit_Supply. Now I cannot modify any of the values of the table in Access. Here is the problem. For some reason, Access says the data in the field is "0" (zero). SQL Server says the data in t...

Remotely connect to SBS 2003
I'm a little new here. Trying to remotely connect to a SBS2003 server. However, the ISP uses DHCP to assign addresses so every 2 days the external IP changes. How can I connect to the server without asking someone at the office to give me the new external IP all the time? I've already assigned a static IP to the server in the range of 192.168.1.XXX and allowed port 3389 to that address in the router. I can connect fine when I have the correct external IP. Thanks in advance! R. Hi Remi: Welcome..... You should have a static IP address, or a dynamic to static t...

SQL Server ODBC Error
I have an Excel 2000 sheet based on a MS Query to a SQL Server 2000 database. When I refresh the query, the ODBC connection fails with this error: SQLState: '01000' SQL Server Error: 11001 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets][ConnectionOpen (Connect()). Connection failed: SQLState: '08001' SQL Server Error: 6 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]Specified SQL Server not found. An Access database with links to this SQL Server data source works just fine. I tested the ODBC connection and it works fine. The problem cropped up after the database ...

Problem connecting socket
On one machine I am having problems making a socket connection. When I try to connect, I immediately get an FD_CONNECT notification response with a WSAENOTCONN error. Sometimes the connection works; most of the time it doesn't. I don't think I am doing anything fancy. The code has not changed and has been working for awhile. Suddenly this machine seems to have a problem. Below is the connection code without the notification code. Can someone think of something to look for? Thanks /*******************/ /* Create a socket */ /*******************/ m_hSocket = socket(PF_INET,...

Connections in Exchange 2003 server showing 2 connections.
My exchange server keeps giving me the following error in the event log: Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeTransport Event Category: Routing Engine/Service Event ID: 929 Date: 9/21/2004 Time: 1:15:24 PM User: N/A Computer: EXCHANGE Description: Failed in reading Connector's DS Info Process Id: 1940 Process location: C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe ConnectorDN: CN=IST external mail,CN=Connections,CN=First Routing Group,CN=Routing Groups,CN=First Administrative Group,CN=Administrative Gr...

How to connect Outlook To Aol for email?
How to connect Outlook To Aol for email? Thanks In article <0d5001c3bfee$53823630$a301280a@phx.gbl>, power4fl@bellsouth.net says... |How to connect Outlook To Aol for email? | |Thanks | You can't directly. I believe there is a third-party program that will do it for you. Try a google search. ...

no connection
When I try to 'send and recieve' I get a message "mail.bellsouth.netproperties not responding" I know some setting is messed up,but what & where? Thanks Has this account ever worked? Please post any error message in its entirety. You can left click on it to highlight and then right click to copy and then paste it into this thread. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "flhxcharlie" <flhxcharlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BDB240CE-E063-4C5C-A1D0-38E01B3A2D4C@microsoft.com... ...