Connecting Switches

Hi,

I know this isn't strictly a SBS question but I'm hoping someone can answer
me a simple (I hope) question.

My SBS network has outgrown it's current office and we need to get a couple
of PC's, telephones and a printer put in another office about 40 meters away.

To get a bit of breathing space I want 10 data points in this new office (we
will only need 5). My local voice / data installers are wanting to run 10
cat5e cables to this new office so will require around 500 meters of cabling
and "x" amount of time for wages.

I have a Dell PowerConnect 2816 in my main office. Instead of running 10 new
cables, could I get another PowerConnect 2816 and put it in the new office
and run 1 cable connecting the switches?

These new pc's won't be heavy network users so hopefully there won't be
bottleneck issues...

Thoughts? Is this possible with powerconnect 2816's? I've looked at the
specs on the dell website but I'm not certain.

Regards,

Chris

"ChrisUK" <ChrisUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I know this isn't strictly a SBS question but I'm hoping someone can
> answer
> me a simple (I hope) question.
>
> My SBS network has outgrown it's current office and we need to get a
> couple
> of PC's, telephones and a printer put in another office about 40 meters
> away.
>
> To get a bit of breathing space I want 10 data points in this new office
> (we
> will only need 5). My local voice / data installers are wanting to run 10
> cat5e cables to this new office so will require around 500 meters of
> cabling
> and "x" amount of time for wages.
>
> I have a Dell PowerConnect 2816 in my main office. Instead of running 10
> new
> cables, could I get another PowerConnect 2816 and put it in the new office
> and run 1 cable connecting the switches?

Yes. But if you do that you might find it cheaper and easier to forget about
a second server, just have a switch and upgrade your network to 1gbps. If
you do run a single cable then the cable is the most likely point for any
network contention between the two offices, but if you ensure that you run
1gbps rather than 100mbps then that's not likely to be a problem unless you
run a very busy office. We have that type of set-up here, after the business
expanded into the office next door we have a switch in both offices
connected by a single cable (cat 6) and don't seem to have any contention or
performance issues that I'm aware of.

Sadly you might find that reducing the number of cables doesn't make a great
difference to the bottom line. If you have phones then those will still need
a separate cables - presumably unless you have a separate phone contract fo
the other office.

> These new pc's won't be heavy network users so hopefully there won't be
> bottleneck issues...
>
> Thoughts? Is this possible with powerconnect 2816's? I've looked at the
> specs on the dell website but I'm not certain.

Forget the second server. SBS doesn't like seeing another SBS server on the
network, and (unless you want a member server for other reasons) you'll find
it a whole lot easier to administer if you stick with a single server.

HTH.
--
 Brian Cryer
 http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

0
Brian
8/11/2010 11:59:38 AM
On 11/08/2010 12:59, Brian Cryer wrote:

> Forget the second server. SBS doesn't like seeing another SBS server on
> the network, and (unless you want a member server for other reasons)
> you'll find it a whole lot easier to administer if you stick with a
> single server.
>
> HTH.

I think the Powerconnect 2816 is in fact a switch Bryan, not another server.

FWIW, we do the same... no issues at all with 5 PCs on Cat5e at 100mpbs...

0
James
8/11/2010 4:08:30 PM
thanks for the replies guys.

You are correct James, it is a switch and I'm glad to hear you are running a
similar scenario without problem.

I'll go for that route then and it should save some money :-)

"James Hurrell" <"j_a_hurrell at hotmail com"> wrote in message
> On 11/08/2010 12:59, Brian Cryer wrote:
>
>> Forget the second server. SBS doesn't like seeing another SBS server on
>> the network, and (unless you want a member server for other reasons)
>> you'll find it a whole lot easier to administer if you stick with a
>> single server.
>>
>> HTH.
>
> I think the Powerconnect 2816 is in fact a switch Bryan, not another
> server.
>
> FWIW, we do the same... no issues at all with 5 PCs on Cat5e at 100mpbs...

Oops. My mistake!
--
 Brian Cryer
 http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

0
Brian
8/12/2010 8:29:09 AM
In article <3CCC3204-166E-4062-9612-FA56FF99D705@microsoft.com>,
ChrisUK@discussions.microsoft.com says...

> Hi,
>
> I know this isn't strictly a SBS question but I'm hoping someone can answer
> me a simple (I hope) question.
>
> My SBS network has outgrown it's current office and we need to get a couple
> of PC's, telephones and a printer put in another office about 40 meters away.
>
> To get a bit of breathing space I want 10 data points in this new office (we
> will only need 5). My local voice / data installers are wanting to run 10
> cat5e cables to this new office so will require around 500 meters of cabling
> and "x" amount of time for wages.
>
> I have a Dell PowerConnect 2816 in my main office. Instead of running 10 new
> cables, could I get another PowerConnect 2816 and put it in the new office
> and run 1 cable connecting the switches?
>
> These new pc's won't be heavy network users so hopefully there won't be
> bottleneck issues...
>
> Thoughts? Is this possible with powerconnect 2816's? I've looked at the
> specs on the dell website but I'm not certain.

Using switches to bridge between areas on a building is common - we
normally install switches on each floor of a building and run a fiber
cable between them (because of distance), but on shorter runs we often
trunk several ports on each switch to get more bandwidth between them.

In a small office setting, your 100mbps switch would be fine for most
uses, but, you may want to consider 8/12/16/24 port GB switches with
some form of management interface that permits you to see errors on each
port, as a diagnostic tool. A typical non-CISCO 24 port GB switch runs
about $280 and provides diagnostic features not found in unmanaged
switches.

I would strongly encourage you to install at least 2 cables between each
location, one as a spare - if something happens and you don't have that
spare you're going to pay for it anyway.

Of all the things I read in your post, the idea that you're using RAID-0
bothers me more than anything - the massive increase possible failure
for using RAID-0 vs RAID-1 makes it impractical for most applications.

Trust yourself.
Leythos
8/12/2010 12:05:24 PM
ChrisUK wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know this isn't strictly a SBS question but I'm hoping someone can
> answer me a simple (I hope) question.
>
> My SBS network has outgrown it's current office and we need to get a
> couple of PC's, telephones and a printer put in another office about
> 40 meters away.
>
> To get a bit of breathing space I want 10 data points in this new
> office (we will only need 5). My local voice / data installers are
> wanting to run 10 cat5e cables to this new office so will require
> around 500 meters of cabling and "x" amount of time for wages.
>
> I have a Dell PowerConnect 2816 in my main office. Instead of running
> 10 new cables, could I get another PowerConnect 2816 and put it in
> the new office and run 1 cable connecting the switches?
>
> These new pc's won't be heavy network users so hopefully there won't
> be bottleneck issues...
>
> Thoughts? Is this possible with powerconnect 2816's? I've looked at
> the specs on the dell website but I'm not certain.

You can extend networks by daisy-chaining switches almost to infinity
with *any* switches (as long as they _are_ switches, and not hubs).

Of greater concern should be bandwidth - if you're aggregating traffic
from multiple devices to then pass that traffic from switch to switch,
you really want the inter-switch connections (commonly referred to as
trunks) to have higher capacity than the switch-device connections.
This usually translates to a gigabit connection between switches if the
clients connect at 100Mbps.

--
Steve Foster
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:
Leythos wrote:

> Of all the things I read in your post, the idea that you're using
> RAID-0 bothers me more than anything - the massive increase possible
> failure for using RAID-0 vs RAID-1 makes it impractical for most
> applications.

Odd, I don't see any mention of RAID in the OP at all (nor mention of
second servers, either!).

--
Steve Foster
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:
https://netshop.virtual-isp.net
0
Steve
8/12/2010 2:22:16 PM
In article <xn0gxsrgiyq3p1401i@news.eternal-september.org>,
stevefoster@invalid.invalid says...

> Leythos wrote:
>
> > Of all the things I read in your post, the idea that you're using
> > RAID-0 bothers me more than anything - the massive increase possible
> > failure for using RAID-0 vs RAID-1 makes it impractical for most
> > applications.
>
> Odd, I don't see any mention of RAID in the OP at all (nor mention of
> second servers, either!).

I'm getting old, confused part of this thread with another I was
thinking of responding to.

Trust yourself.
Leythos
8/12/2010 7:33:42 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the information, as always it was very helpful.

I will definitely get a spare cable ran just in case.

Bandwidth shouldn't be a problem, it's just going to be 2 "light" users.

out of interest I do have RAID-1 on my OS drive and RAID-5 on my data :-)

Leythos wrote:

> In article <xn0gxsrgiyq3p1401i@news.eternal-september.org>,
> stevefoster@invalid.invalid says...
> >
> > Leythos wrote:
> >
> > > Of all the things I read in your post, the idea that you're using
> > > RAID-0 bothers me more than anything - the massive increase
> > > possible failure for using RAID-0 vs RAID-1 makes it impractical
> > > for most applications.
> >
> > Odd, I don't see any mention of RAID in the OP at all (nor mention
> > of second servers, either!).
>
> I'm getting old, confused part of this thread with another I was
> thinking of responding to.

I know how you feel.

--
Steve Foster
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:
https://netshop.virtual-isp.net
0
Steve

SBS Connectivity issues
Experiencing intermittent delays and dropped connections to Small Business Server. Config is: SBS2003 SP2 (all current patches) running on HP ML110 server; 4 PCs onsite - 3 used by onsite staff; 1 used by remote user to access server via RWW. Users run basic Office apps, Outlook, Quickbooks, internet access. Also have an Avaya VIOP phone system (4 phones) on the network. Everything has been in place for almost 4 years. Having more frequent connectivity issues. Onsite PCs show delays in Outlook connecting to Exchange ('Trying to connect ...). Remote user reports...

ODBC Connection Not Connecting
I am using the below code to 1) automatically connect to a Microsoft ODBC for Oracle connection called "FIN_CUR" and 2) run an query on a linked table in FIN_CUR The issue i am having is that the ODBC connect part of the script appears to be working, but when it goes to try to run the query I still get the popup prompting for user name and password to make the connection to the ODBC. I have verify that the user name and password are correct, but don't know what I am missing. Here is my code Public Sub OraConnect() Dim strErr As String On Error GoTo...

Simultaneous socket connections. Is there a limit?
My client wants me to write an application that maintains 30 or 40 simultaneous socket connections to different hardware devices. For each device the throughput requirements are very small since only some small packets are sent occasionally at random intervals. Is there a simultaneous limit? 30 or 40 is far more then I have ever done. I don't want any surprises. Is there a limit? I assume XP Professional would handle this. Correct? Would XP Home be any different? My laptop has XP home. To certain incoming ports, its 10, although there are several cracks out their to remove this...

VPN can't connect to workstations
I am running a 2k3 network and I am trying to connect my laptop w/ Vista to it using VPN. I can connect to the server and use server shares with no problem. My problem is that it cannot connect to the workstations . Would appreciate any input on that. "john" <johnbahran@hotmail.com> said this in news item news:b4419f87-386b-41de-876a-e3546096ecc2@c34g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... > I am running a 2k3 network and I am trying to connect my laptop w/ > Vista to it using VPN. I can connect to the server and use server > shares with no problem. My problem is ...

Outlook Win98SE Trying to Connect to Server time out. IBM 390E & Rogers.com
I have loaded Win98SE and Office 97 on an IBM 390E laptop using IBM Etherjet 10/100 network card connected to a D- Link 714P+ 4-port wire&wireless cable router. Network file transfers work fine, IE 6 works fine. Outlook often hangs when it loads and trys to connect to the (Rogers.com) server to download email messages. I contacted Rogers tech support and all settings are correct. If I take the router out of the loop and connect directly to the cable modem - Outlooks works like a charm & fast downloading of messages. I have 3 other PCs connected on the LAN and all work fine...

IMAP: A connection to the server cannot be established
I have Outlook 2007 Installed on Two Separate PCs. One has Vista installed, and the other, Windows 7. McAfee Security Center is the Anti-Virus software unstalled on both PCs. I have setup 2 IMAP Accounts on each PC and can only get the ones on the Vista Box to work correctly. This is the error I keep getting on the Windows 7 Box: Task 'Synchronizing subscribed folders for [my-email-account].' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for [my-email-account]. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this ...

server connect
When I first start up Outlook 2003, it contacts the mail server and everything is hunky-doory. However, when attempting to next access the mail account by the send/receive access or in background, it indicates that it cannot locate the server and gives me error (0x80004210A). This error number is not consistent other than for the 0x800 portion. The location does not change, so how can it find it initially, and not later on? I'm confused. What type of mail server? POP3, IMAP, Exchange, HTTP, Other...? Does the same happen when you disable your firewall and/or virusscanner (integra...

Language switching
Hi. I have an app which I'd like to localize to several languages. I've made dlls with resources for every language I want to use. The problem is I want to use bitmaps, pngs and wav files from original resources but dialogs, menus and string table from dll. The point is that bitmaps would be the same. It is approx. 3 MB and I don't want to add them to every language (it's not even possible because there are 3 versions of the same software with different images) I've tried AfxSetResource handle but thats exactly the function I can't use. How to do this at runtime? To...

Hotmail connection
I'm new to Microsoft Outlook, and want to view and send email using Microsoft Outlook. I have used Hotmail for quite a while, and am looking for a method of "re-routing". (?) I played around with the configurations, but still could not connect to my hotmail accout through Outlook. Can any one help? Thanks. Which version of Outlook? Microsoft(R) Outlook(R) (9.0.0.2711) Internet Mail Only Copyright (c) 1995-1999 Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved. "miker67@gmail.com" wrote: > Which version of Outlook? > > zephyrus17 <zephyrus17@discussions.micros...

Intranet Connection
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C3CF10.F7EDF7A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am trying to connect 5 computers using Outlook XP intranet. What is = the best way to connect them....using MS mail, MS Exchange, etc. Thanks Douglas ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C3CF10.F7EDF7A0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD>...

IE8 and Firefox won't connect to Yuku?
I've been having an issue tonight where my internet won't connect to the Yuku site first on IE8 then on Firefox, both sites got the same screen telling me it's an inactive site and I have connection issues. I ran the trouble shooter and it's telling me I don't have an issue? I'm on Windows 7 upgrade from XP, Windows Firewall is on, spyware is AVG and Spybot. I checked all the settings and nothing looked different as I was on the site like 2 days ago. Any ideas on what the problem is? Maybe you do have connection issues? 4thjet wrote: > I've been ...

Maintain network connectivity on shutdown?
Hello, we have added a script to run at Windows shutdown and in testing it seems to at least run, but the problem is part of the script process that needs to access a server on our network fails because it appears that network connectivity has been dropped at this point in the shutdown process. Is there any way to set it so that network connectivity is retained on shutdown? For example, if there is still at least IP connectivity (but the WINS service has been shutdown), then could we run something on a command line to invoke the network resource? Any help would be greatly appreci...

No Internet connections in Network connections!!!
Hi im new to this forum and really need help. Yesterday I decided to set up my computer again (It had been in the garage because I wasn't using it for a while). Anyways, when I first started it up it worked fine and the internet connection worked as well. Later on it began to shut off unexpectedly if i tried to remove a program through task manager that wasn't working, so since it didn't have any important data, I decided to reformat my hardrive and reinstall microsoft xp. When I started up my cpu again, I noticed that there were no connections, even though I had not unp...

How to switch between worksheets without using mouse?
How can you switch between worksheets tabs (within the same workbook) without using a mouse? i.e., what keyboard sequences do you need to do this? The only way I've found is opening a second instance of Excel and alt-tab between them, but then one spreadsheet is open in read only format. Can this be done? Please help the carpal tunnel people out there! Thanks, Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net) joemagiera@ameritech.net ctrl-pgup and ctrl-pgdn Joe Magiera wrote: > > How can you switch between worksheets tabs (within the same workbook) without > using a mouse? i.e.,...

How do i switch from cox email to outlook?
I have cox cable email and i would like to switch my email to outlook You can start here: http://support.cox.com/sdcxuser/asp/cox_Indetails.asp?parFolder=4f96c6a5-5d85-434a-8667-3dae2a344a28 Look at Learning Center - click Email "Cheva" <Cheva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF254AC9-D409-4011-B2D4-C7F8D9F017D7@microsoft.com... >I have cox cable email and i would like to switch my email to outlook ...

Remotely connect to SBS 2003
I'm a little new here. Trying to remotely connect to a SBS2003 server. However, the ISP uses DHCP to assign addresses so every 2 days the external IP changes. How can I connect to the server without asking someone at the office to give me the new external IP all the time? I've already assigned a static IP to the server in the range of 192.168.1.XXX and allowed port 3389 to that address in the router. I can connect fine when I have the correct external IP. Thanks in advance! R. Hi Remi: Welcome..... You should have a static IP address, or a dynamic to static t...

Problem connecting socket
On one machine I am having problems making a socket connection. When I try to connect, I immediately get an FD_CONNECT notification response with a WSAENOTCONN error. Sometimes the connection works; most of the time it doesn't. I don't think I am doing anything fancy. The code has not changed and has been working for awhile. Suddenly this machine seems to have a problem. Below is the connection code without the notification code. Can someone think of something to look for? Thanks /*******************/ /* Create a socket */ /*******************/ m_hSocket = socket(PF_INET,...

Connections in Exchange 2003 server showing 2 connections.
My exchange server keeps giving me the following error in the event log: Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeTransport Event Category: Routing Engine/Service Event ID: 929 Date: 9/21/2004 Time: 1:15:24 PM User: N/A Computer: EXCHANGE Description: Failed in reading Connector's DS Info Process Id: 1940 Process location: C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe ConnectorDN: CN=IST external mail,CN=Connections,CN=First Routing Group,CN=Routing Groups,CN=First Administrative Group,CN=Administrative Gr...

How to connect Outlook To Aol for email?
How to connect Outlook To Aol for email? Thanks In article <0d5001c3bfee$53823630$a301280a@phx.gbl>, power4fl@bellsouth.net says... |How to connect Outlook To Aol for email? | |Thanks | You can't directly. I believe there is a third-party program that will do it for you. Try a google search. ...

no connection
When I try to 'send and recieve' I get a message "mail.bellsouth.netproperties not responding" I know some setting is messed up,but what & where? Thanks Has this account ever worked? Please post any error message in its entirety. You can left click on it to highlight and then right click to copy and then paste it into this thread. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "flhxcharlie" <flhxcharlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BDB240CE-E063-4C5C-A1D0-38E01B3A2D4C@microsoft.com... ...

Connection Error Issues
I am working in SSRS 2005, and am building "ad hoc" reports with parameters in VS2005. Everything runs well with in VS 2005, I build and deploy the reports, with no issue, and they run fine in Report Manager. Then the report viewer is linked to a website that essentially lists the avaible reports. Here is the issue, the end user can access the webpage but when they click the link to the report it throws a connection error such as: "An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted) Query execution failed for data set 'DataSet1'. (rsErrorExe...

CONNECT
How do you connect to CRM? I have it installed, The snap in works, but I just cant figure out how to access it yet.I don't have sales for outlook installed yet, but I thought you could access it via a web interface? ...

How do I setup outlook connect to corportate email
I'm trying to setup my home computer to receive my corportate email. When I try to setup exchange client from the instructions provided from my employer. I go to Connections and in this box I'm to click on "Connect to my Exchange mailbox using HTTP". But I don't have this option is there an upgrade I need. I'm using Office 2003 standard addition. James wrote: > I'm trying to setup my home computer to receive my corportate email. When I > try to setup exchange client from the instructions provided from my employer. > I go to Connections and in ...