Connect Windows 7 to SBS 2003

Spent the last eight hours trying to connect my W7 workstation to a fresh
install of SBS 2003 premium. When running http://server/connectcomputer/, I
would get as far as providing a username and password for setup when a popup
would inform me, "The list of users and computers could not be found. Make
sure that the Small Business Server network adapters are configured
correctly.". I have only one NIC, I can see the shared folders on my server
and even connect to them. My server is not running DHCP or DNS and I think
these might be my problem. I did run windows update and installed all the
updates. I am completely green when it comes to SBS. Should I set up DHCP
and DNS on my server or continue using my router? Any thoughts would be most
welcome and appreciated.

Sean

0
Sean

On 30/04/2010 13:26, Sean Scheffelmaier wrote:
> Spent the last eight hours trying to connect my W7 workstation to a
> fresh install of SBS 2003 premium. When running
> http://server/connectcomputer/, I would get as far as providing a
> username and password for setup when a popup would inform me, "The list
> of users and computers could not be found. Make sure that the Small
> Business Server network adapters are configured correctly.". I have only
> one NIC, I can see the shared folders on my server and even connect to
> them. My server is not running DHCP or DNS and I think these might be my
> problem. I did run windows update and installed all the updates. I am
> completely green when it comes to SBS. Should I set up DHCP and DNS on
> my server or continue using my router? Any thoughts would be most
> welcome and appreciated.
>
> Sean

Someone else with more knowledge on W7 will come along and answer I'm
sure, but in SBS land, the SBS server must be the only DHCP server on
the network and must hand out itself to clients as the DNS server. Turn
off DHCP on the router...

A lot of problems will probably disappear once you do this.
0
James
4/30/2010 12:43:51 PM
On 30-04-10 14:26, Sean Scheffelmaier wrote:
> Spent the last eight hours trying to connect my W7 workstation to a
> fresh install of SBS 2003 premium. When running
> http://server/connectcomputer/, I would get as far as providing a
> username and password for setup when a popup would inform me, "The list
> of users and computers could not be found. Make sure that the Small
> Business Server network adapters are configured correctly.". I have only
> one NIC, I can see the shared folders on my server and even connect to
> them. My server is not running DHCP or DNS and I think these might be my
> problem. I did run windows update and installed all the updates. I am
> completely green when it comes to SBS. Should I set up DHCP and DNS on
> my server or continue using my router? Any thoughts would be most
> welcome and appreciated.
>
> Sean

In a windows network you should always use the domain controller(s) as
DNS servers. Windows domains use DNS extensively to find domain
controllers and other services on the network.

You also need to configure the domainname for your network, say
contoso.local so that when your computer searches for servername it will
automatically append contoso.local.

It doesn't matter much where you run the DHCP, as long as you point to
the SBS server as DNS and supply the domainname.
0
Freaky
4/30/2010 12:47:24 PM
In article <82C2CB01-0431-473C-8D48-04F595224592@microsoft.com>,
seanscheffelmaier@hotmail.com says...

> Spent the last eight hours trying to connect my W7 workstation to a fresh
> install of SBS 2003 premium. When running http://server/connectcomputer/, I
> would get as far as providing a username and password for setup when a popup
> would inform me, "The list of users and computers could not be found. Make
> sure that the Small Business Server network adapters are configured
> correctly.". I have only one NIC, I can see the shared folders on my server
> and even connect to them. My server is not running DHCP or DNS and I think
> these might be my problem. I did run windows update and installed all the
> updates. I am completely green when it comes to SBS. Should I set up DHCP
> and DNS on my server or continue using my router? Any thoughts would be most
> welcome and appreciated.

If you are using SBS and you are NOT running DHCP/DNS on it you are
breaking SBS, and that means you didn't follow the install and setup
instructions properly.

SBS as well as most Domains want their own server to be in charge of
DHCP/DNS, so that all names are properly resolved by the servers DNS.

USE THE WIZARDS LUKE, THE FORCE IS STRONG WITH THE WIZARDS, not using
the Wizards is something only done by the DARK SIDE OF THE FORCE. -
Please note the Star Wars bent there.

Trust yourself.
Leythos
4/30/2010 12:53:12 PM
Also see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926505

On 30-04-10 14:26, Sean Scheffelmaier wrote:
> Spent the last eight hours trying to connect my W7 workstation to a
> fresh install of SBS 2003 premium. When running
> http://server/connectcomputer/, I would get as far as providing a
> username and password for setup when a popup would inform me, "The list
> of users and computers could not be found. Make sure that the Small
> Business Server network adapters are configured correctly.". I have only
> one NIC, I can see the shared folders on my server and even connect to
> them. My server is not running DHCP or DNS and I think these might be my
> problem. I did run windows update and installed all the updates. I am
> completely green when it comes to SBS. Should I set up DHCP and DNS on
> my server or continue using my router? Any thoughts would be most
> welcome and appreciated.
>
> Sean

0
Freaky
4/30/2010 12:54:47 PM
Thank you for the info...  I figured I was going about this all wrong. I
will re-install the server OS using the wizards this time, I don't want to
go to the darkside...

Sean

0
Sean
4/30/2010 1:16:56 PM
In article <079BB058-60D2-4491-9F25-6436B8996A0E@microsoft.com>,
seanscheffelmaier@hotmail.com says...

> Thank you for the info...  I figured I was going about this all wrong. I
> will re-install the server OS using the wizards this time, I don't want to
> go to the darkside...

The most important part of SBS is that you must use the Wizards, must,
must, never stray from the wizards or the magic will turn dark and do
vile things to your network.

If this was your first SBS install, consider doing it several times,
just to make sure you get the hang of it, so that you see your mistakes
and learn from them, so that the final install is without mistakes.

You may, depending on any changes you make later, need to rerun the
wizards and having run them several times (as you reinstall to learn)
will give you a better idea of what to expect.

If all you have are Windows 7 systems, then you will need specific
Vista/Win 7 OPTIONAL updates, but I don't know the specific ones, just
install all Critical and Optional updates on your SBS/Win7 machines,
after you verify that they won't harm anything, and the wizards should
allow you to fully join the Win 7 computers without any problem.

Trust yourself.
Leythos
4/30/2010 2:09:47 PM
Sounds like a good way to learn. I was once told that repetition strengthens
and confirms so I will repeat as many times as it takes. I am running
Windows 7 on two desktops and one laptop as well as XP on another desktop.
At this point, I have more time than anything else so I can re-install until
the cows come home. ;)

Sean

0
Sean
4/30/2010 10:11:55 PM
reinforcing Leythos comment (now don't everyone fall over)

SBS Triple Crown
http://msmvps.com/blogs/kwsupport/archive/2006/08/17/107981.aspx

Russ' 'Rule of three'
1) Use the wizards.
2) Use the wizards.
3) Use the wizards.

Personnally, I'm a Robert Heinlen fan.
I tell you three times - use the wizards.

"Sean Scheffelmaier" <seanscheffelmaier@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sounds like a good way to learn. I was once told that repetition
> strengthens and confirms so I will repeat as many times as it takes. I am
> running Windows 7 on two desktops and one laptop as well as XP on another
> desktop. At this point, I have more time than anything else so I can
> re-install until the cows come home. ;)
>
> Sean

0
SuperGumby
5/1/2010 3:52:34 AM
pls consider that the DHCP process also includes the DHCP server updating
DNS.

Both DHCP and DNS should be controlled by 'AD aware' servers.

"Freaky" <wontsay@ondeja.com> wrote in message
> On 30-04-10 14:26, Sean Scheffelmaier wrote:
>> Spent the last eight hours trying to connect my W7 workstation to a
>> fresh install of SBS 2003 premium. When running
>> http://server/connectcomputer/, I would get as far as providing a
>> username and password for setup when a popup would inform me, "The list
>> of users and computers could not be found. Make sure that the Small
>> Business Server network adapters are configured correctly.". I have only
>> one NIC, I can see the shared folders on my server and even connect to
>> them. My server is not running DHCP or DNS and I think these might be my
>> problem. I did run windows update and installed all the updates. I am
>> completely green when it comes to SBS. Should I set up DHCP and DNS on
>> my server or continue using my router? Any thoughts would be most
>> welcome and appreciated.
>>
>> Sean
>

> In a windows network you should always use the domain controller(s) as
> DNS servers. Windows domains use DNS extensively to find domain
> controllers and other services on the network.
>
> You also need to configure the domainname for your network, say
> contoso.local so that when your computer searches for servername it will
> automatically append contoso.local.
>
> It doesn't matter much where you run the DHCP, as long as you point to
> the SBS server as DNS and supply the domainname.

0
SuperGumby
5/1/2010 3:55:31 AM
The 5th install was perfect. So I decided to do one more and it works great
too. All the features I have tried so far are working. YAYYYY!

--
Sean

***The only easy day was yesterday***

--
Sean

***The only easy day was yesterday***

0
Sean

New to Windows Live
I just switched over from Windows XP, where I used Outlook for my email. My new Windows 7 machine doesn't have Outlook, so I'm trying to read my email via Live. I have multiple accounts, and I actually like how the accounts are listed separately. For some reason, I can't seem to reliably receive email from my main gmail account. At first it was bypassing the inbox and going straight to "all mail"--and not showing as unread. I uninstalled and re-installed this email address, and now "all mail" is no longer showing. I get new email, but once ...

Reinstall Exchange 2003 on Same Server
We have multiple problems on a current Windows 2003 Server (also a DC - will DCPROMO down first and wait for replication) with Exchange 2003; therefore, we would like to reinstall the OS on this server. **** The errors are related to an application we previously had installed on this server and no longer have.**** Anyhow, after the reinstall of the OS, we will put back Exchange 2003 DB (priv & pub files). Is there a proper high-level process you guys can tell me in how to approach this procedure? Thank you. you will need to use /DisasterRecovery switch http://www.msexchange....

"Close all applications before exiting Windows"
Even though I exit Outlook 2003 prior to rebooting or shutting down the computer, I get a pop up saying "close all applications". I have to go to task master and manually shutdown Outlook to exit Windows XP. Not only does Outlook.exe need to shut down, but MAPISP32.EXE must stop as well. Sometimes this can take up to a minute or two. Also, it's possible some other application hooked into MAPI may be keeping it open. Palm/PDA synch software or FAX software is the culprit more time than not. -- Patrick Reed ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ MVP [Outlook] Have you checked www.slipstick.com?...

SBS Connectivity issues
Experiencing intermittent delays and dropped connections to Small Business Server. Config is: SBS2003 SP2 (all current patches) running on HP ML110 server; 4 PCs onsite - 3 used by onsite staff; 1 used by remote user to access server via RWW. Users run basic Office apps, Outlook, Quickbooks, internet access. Also have an Avaya VIOP phone system (4 phones) on the network. Everything has been in place for almost 4 years. Having more frequent connectivity issues. Onsite PCs show delays in Outlook connecting to Exchange ('Trying to connect ...). Remote user reports...

ODBC Connection Not Connecting
I am using the below code to 1) automatically connect to a Microsoft ODBC for Oracle connection called "FIN_CUR" and 2) run an query on a linked table in FIN_CUR The issue i am having is that the ODBC connect part of the script appears to be working, but when it goes to try to run the query I still get the popup prompting for user name and password to make the connection to the ODBC. I have verify that the user name and password are correct, but don't know what I am missing. Here is my code Public Sub OraConnect() Dim strErr As String On Error GoTo...

Go to window not populated in smartlist builder
I created a smartlist mapping PA Billing details OPEN table. The smartlist works fine but I have defined a go to window of Billing Inquiry zoom. I pass values to the field of PA Biller transaction type and PA Document number. However, when I open up the go to window of Billing Inquiry zoom by double clicking a smartlist entry, the record is not populated. Only the document number field is populated, the rest of the window is blank. If I change the currency view on the window, the rest of the fields populate. What is the issue here and how do I fix it so that the go to window comes up c...

Printing every other page in publisher 2003
I am trying to make flash cards for the CPA exam. I have made a few hundred using the two page format. Now I want to print them and I only have a bubble jet so I cant print on both sides. I have made my custom page size and all that jazz so it works well enough to print on the 3x5 cards. My problem is I can't print every other page (just the fronts) then again for the backs. Is this even possible because I have tried everything. On Dec 21, 8:44=A0am, MikelPo...@gmail.com wrote: > I am trying to make flash cards for the CPA exam. =A0I have made a few > hundred using the two page...

Maximum Window size of Dialog
Hi All, I am creating a clild window(modless dialog box). I am resizing width of child window by using :- CRect rect; GetWindowRect(rect); if(!SetWindowPos(&wndBottom,rect.left,rect.top,86400,rect.Height(),SWP_NOMOVE)) AfxMessageBox("Error in SetWindowPos"); But it is incresing up to 32767. Please help me out, i want to create a child window which suppose to have 3110400 pixel in width. Thanks in advance. Amit I wouldn't be surprised if there were a limit (and 32757 seems like a reasonable number), but I've never tried to create anything that wide befo...

Simultaneous socket connections. Is there a limit?
My client wants me to write an application that maintains 30 or 40 simultaneous socket connections to different hardware devices. For each device the throughput requirements are very small since only some small packets are sent occasionally at random intervals. Is there a simultaneous limit? 30 or 40 is far more then I have ever done. I don't want any surprises. Is there a limit? I assume XP Professional would handle this. Correct? Would XP Home be any different? My laptop has XP home. To certain incoming ports, its 10, although there are several cracks out their to remove this...

Outlook Win98SE Trying to Connect to Server time out. IBM 390E & Rogers.com
I have loaded Win98SE and Office 97 on an IBM 390E laptop using IBM Etherjet 10/100 network card connected to a D- Link 714P+ 4-port wire&wireless cable router. Network file transfers work fine, IE 6 works fine. Outlook often hangs when it loads and trys to connect to the (Rogers.com) server to download email messages. I contacted Rogers tech support and all settings are correct. If I take the router out of the loop and connect directly to the cable modem - Outlooks works like a charm & fast downloading of messages. I have 3 other PCs connected on the LAN and all work fine...

VPN can't connect to workstations
I am running a 2k3 network and I am trying to connect my laptop w/ Vista to it using VPN. I can connect to the server and use server shares with no problem. My problem is that it cannot connect to the workstations . Would appreciate any input on that. "john" <johnbahran@hotmail.com> said this in news item news:b4419f87-386b-41de-876a-e3546096ecc2@c34g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... > I am running a 2k3 network and I am trying to connect my laptop w/ > Vista to it using VPN. I can connect to the server and use server > shares with no problem. My problem is ...

Outlook 2003 EAS server-based Archive solution Questions
At work they installed EAS on selected PCs including, I believe, my PC. All of my older email messages in the Inbox have a symbol that looks likke an external drive, CD disk and an envelope. When I open these messages the original attachment isn't there just the attachment titles. What do I need to do to get to the attachments? On my PC I don't see the EAS Icon in the System Tray. Does EAS need to be loaded on my PC before I can open EAS archived attachments? Thanks, Tom What is EAS???? --=20 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the di...

Windows Calender Problem.
Windows Calendar does not notify me of events. When I load task scheduler it says "Task image is corrupt or has been tampered with mcupdate" and "Task image is corrupt or has been tampered with Reminders-name" Vista Home Premium Need help to fix. Hoot Either your taskplanner is corrupt or you suffer from pre-sp2 issues : Vistas Windows Calendar has had reminder problems in its first incarnation.. SP1 / SP2 fixes the issues. mcupdate ist the Mediacenters tv guide download which is scheduled to run in the background. Also a lot of Mediacenter issues a...

server connect
When I first start up Outlook 2003, it contacts the mail server and everything is hunky-doory. However, when attempting to next access the mail account by the send/receive access or in background, it indicates that it cannot locate the server and gives me error (0x80004210A). This error number is not consistent other than for the 0x800 portion. The location does not change, so how can it find it initially, and not later on? I'm confused. What type of mail server? POP3, IMAP, Exchange, HTTP, Other...? Does the same happen when you disable your firewall and/or virusscanner (integra...

IMAP: A connection to the server cannot be established
I have Outlook 2007 Installed on Two Separate PCs. One has Vista installed, and the other, Windows 7. McAfee Security Center is the Anti-Virus software unstalled on both PCs. I have setup 2 IMAP Accounts on each PC and can only get the ones on the Vista Box to work correctly. This is the error I keep getting on the Windows 7 Box: Task 'Synchronizing subscribed folders for [my-email-account].' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for [my-email-account]. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this ...

IE8 and Firefox won't connect to Yuku?
I've been having an issue tonight where my internet won't connect to the Yuku site first on IE8 then on Firefox, both sites got the same screen telling me it's an inactive site and I have connection issues. I ran the trouble shooter and it's telling me I don't have an issue? I'm on Windows 7 upgrade from XP, Windows Firewall is on, spyware is AVG and Spybot. I checked all the settings and nothing looked different as I was on the site like 2 days ago. Any ideas on what the problem is? Maybe you do have connection issues? 4thjet wrote: > I've been ...

Hotmail connection
I'm new to Microsoft Outlook, and want to view and send email using Microsoft Outlook. I have used Hotmail for quite a while, and am looking for a method of "re-routing". (?) I played around with the configurations, but still could not connect to my hotmail accout through Outlook. Can any one help? Thanks. Which version of Outlook? Microsoft(R) Outlook(R) (9.0.0.2711) Internet Mail Only Copyright (c) 1995-1999 Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved. "miker67@gmail.com" wrote: > Which version of Outlook? > > zephyrus17 <zephyrus17@discussions.micros...

Intranet Connection
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C3CF10.F7EDF7A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am trying to connect 5 computers using Outlook XP intranet. What is = the best way to connect them....using MS mail, MS Exchange, etc. Thanks Douglas ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C3CF10.F7EDF7A0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD>...

Checks in Money 2003 #2
How can i print out the bank name and the bank account number ? In microsoft.public.money, clara wrote: >How can i print out the bank name and the bank account >number ? See FAQ available at http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/ for information. ...

Maintain network connectivity on shutdown?
Hello, we have added a script to run at Windows shutdown and in testing it seems to at least run, but the problem is part of the script process that needs to access a server on our network fails because it appears that network connectivity has been dropped at this point in the shutdown process. Is there any way to set it so that network connectivity is retained on shutdown? For example, if there is still at least IP connectivity (but the WINS service has been shutdown), then could we run something on a command line to invoke the network resource? Any help would be greatly appreci...

microsoft out look mail 2003
I need some help please, My microsoft express mail was configured, and correctly. I wanted to customize the tools bars to be able to to work with mail template, how ever it didnt work I clieck on the help button and it asked do I want it to go back to the default settings, of course I clicked yes, it went through the process and reser the default settings, how ever, now all of my emails that are imported through my pop through and not coming back into the inbox, the ipop3 is configured correct, and test shows correct, but again its not synchronixing and putting my emails back ino...

windows live 04-09-10
windows live tells me i have messenger, but i can not find it and my green icon is gone". i have tried to delete windows live and hopefully install again but to no avail.can someone give me a little help PLEASE. i am using windows XP pro The newsgroup to which you posted is dedicated to issues directly = affecting the Windows Live Mail program. For help with a Live Messenger problem,=20 please go to http://windowslivehelp.com/product.aspx?productid=3D2 =20 --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com ...

Office 2000 interferes with Outlook 2003 email
I recently installed Office 2003 upgrade, replacing Office 2000. I then exported all my e-mail message files from Outlook Express 2000 to Outlook 2003. Now when I attempt to open an e-mail in Outlook 2003, a window opens indicating the function I have chosen requires obtaining a file from Office 2000 SR-1 Professional and the program CD should be inserted in the computer. When I click on Cancel, Error Message 1706 displays, stating Window installer can not continue. What's up with this? -- Ernie did you try running detect and repair from any office program's help menu? -- ...