Anyone install the new BB Express version on SBS 2008?

Well, I'm in a pickle... I have a client with a single server, no
alternate path, and they want BES installed - the new BB Express states
it's compatible with 2008 x64, but we all know that it doesn't always
mean SBS....

Anyone actually installed it directly on their SBS 08 production server
and lived to tell about it?

Trust yourself.
Leythos

I haven't installed it on SBS2008 yet
However let me ping the MVP's in the group and get a consensus

Russ

--
Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC

"Leythos" <spam999free@rrohio.com> wrote in message
> Well, I'm in a pickle... I have a client with a single server, no
> alternate path, and they want BES installed - the new BB Express states
> it's compatible with 2008 x64, but we all know that it doesn't always
> mean SBS....
>
> Anyone actually installed it directly on their SBS 08 production server
> and lived to tell about it?
>

> --
> You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little
> voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that.
> Trust yourself.
> spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

0
Russ
3/29/2010 9:16:29 PM
There's some traffic in the 2008 group about this.

I have it installed, but I haven't had time to actually see whether it is
functional, with my single BB user...

"Russ SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]" <russ@REMOVETHIS.sbits.biz> wrote in message
> I haven't installed it on SBS2008 yet
> However let me ping the MVP's in the group and get a consensus
>
> Russ
>
> --
> Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
> MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC
> Small Business Server/Computer Support - www.SBITS.Biz
> Question or Second Opinion - www.PersonalITConsultant.com
> BPOS - Microsoft Online Services - www.Microsoft-Online-Services.com
>

> "Leythos" <spam999free@rrohio.com> wrote in message
>> Well, I'm in a pickle... I have a client with a single server, no
>> alternate path, and they want BES installed - the new BB Express states
>> it's compatible with 2008 x64, but we all know that it doesn't always
>> mean SBS....
>>
>> Anyone actually installed it directly on their SBS 08 production server
>> and lived to tell about it?
>>

>> --
>> You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little
>> voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that.
>> Trust yourself.
>> spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

0
Bill
3/29/2010 9:32:15 PM
In article <#Kx71d4zKHA.4752@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
bill_sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org says...

> There's some traffic in the 2008 group about this.
>
> I have it installed, but I haven't had time to actually see whether it is
> functional, with my single BB user...

Were the install directions clear and workable and did you have any
errors?

Corp mandated they use BB phones, but Corp doesn't provide BES or any
other features - they had to switch from WM phones and this is killing
them.

Trust yourself.
Leythos
3/29/2010 9:54:26 PM
Jason Miller a SBS MVP posted a blog on this

Jason Miller -
I like it beside SBS, not on top.
It's quirky, and 1st BES troubleshooting step should be to restart,
something I don't do lightly in SBS networks.
http://www.jasonmiller.ca/2010/03/blackberry-enterprise-server-express-besx/
---------------------
Russ

--

> In article <#Kx71d4zKHA.4752@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
> bill_sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org says...
>>
>> There's some traffic in the 2008 group about this.
>>
>> I have it installed, but I haven't had time to actually see whether it is
>> functional, with my single BB user...
>
> Were the install directions clear and workable and did you have any
> errors?
>
> Corp mandated they use BB phones, but Corp doesn't provide BES or any
> other features - they had to switch from WM phones and this is killing
> them.
>

> --
> You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little
> voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that.
> Trust yourself.
> spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

0
Russ
3/29/2010 10:38:51 PM
No.  I think I got past the errors, though--I wrote it up in the other group
in too much detail, I think.

There are some prerequisites you need to install, and you have to translate
the various credentials provided as part of the purchase process into
entirely different names on the boxes they need to be entered into at setup
time...

"Leythos" <spam999free@rrohio.com> wrote in message
> In article <#Kx71d4zKHA.4752@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
> bill_sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org says...
>>
>> There's some traffic in the 2008 group about this.
>>
>> I have it installed, but I haven't had time to actually see whether it is
>> functional, with my single BB user...
>
> Were the install directions clear and workable and did you have any
> errors?
>
> Corp mandated they use BB phones, but Corp doesn't provide BES or any
> other features - they had to switch from WM phones and this is killing
> them.
>

> --
> You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little
> voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that.
> Trust yourself.
> spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

0
Bill
3/30/2010 1:41:30 AM
In article <#vQ5cC5zKHA.3884@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>,
russ@REMOVETHIS.sbits.biz says...

> Jason Miller a SBS MVP posted a blog on this
>
> Jason Miller -
> I like it beside SBS, not on top.
> It's quirky, and 1st BES troubleshooting step should be to restart,
> something I don't do lightly in SBS networks.
> http://www.jasonmiller.ca/2010/03/blackberry-enterprise-server-express-besx/

Thanks - it doesn't look promising.

Trust yourself.
Leythos
3/30/2010 1:42:35 AM
        I put it on an SBS 2003. It's an abominable piece of software, just
like all its predecessors. I got it to work, but ActiveSync is by far a
better choice. This one is even worse because it sports a browser-based
interface, which is just as slow and awkward as other browser-based
interfaces. I really can't say anything good about it other than that it is
free. If someone just HAS to have a BlackBerry, it's barely usable, but I
try to steer everyone to ActiveSync. The BESX took me about a week to get
going, while at the same client, an ActiveSync phone took ten minutes to
have all ready to go. Granted, I had some USB problems on the server, but
that points to the abominable mess that wireless activation is on a
BlackBerry. If wireless activation weren't so much of a pain, maybe I
wouldn't have been so keen on wired activation.

"Leythos" <spam999free@rrohio.com> wrote in message
> Well, I'm in a pickle... I have a client with a single server, no
> alternate path, and they want BES installed - the new BB Express states
> it's compatible with 2008 x64, but we all know that it doesn't always
> mean SBS....
>
> Anyone actually installed it directly on their SBS 08 production server
> and lived to tell about it?
>

> --
> You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little
> voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that.
> Trust yourself.
> spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

0
Andrew
3/30/2010 2:55:34 AM
"Bill Sanderson" <bill_sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
> No.  I think I got past the errors, though--I wrote it up in the other
> group in too much detail, I think.
>
> There are some prerequisites you need to install, and you have to
> translate the various credentials provided as part of the purchase process
> into entirely different names on the boxes they need to be entered into at
> setup time...

        I found that EXTREMELY annoying and sloppy and inexcusable. Why do I
have to figure that out for myself?

0
Andrew
3/30/2010 2:57:18 AM
I've done it a few times now.  It's not bad.  The same permissions apply
as server 2008.  If you are planning to use Active Directory to log into
BAS, make sure you turn on (or off, can't remember) the KDC
authentication for your besadmin user in Active Directory.  Otherwise it
should be fine.  The install is nowhere near as bad as the 4.x installs.
The new web interface is nasty though.  Also, leave the ports as is so
they don't mess with IIS.

--
laereth
0

> In article <#vQ5cC5zKHA.3884@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>,
> russ@REMOVETHIS.sbits.biz says...
> >
> > Jason Miller a SBS MVP posted a blog on this
> >
> > Jason Miller -
> > I like it beside SBS, not on top.
> > It's quirky, and 1st BES troubleshooting step should be to restart,
> > something I don't do lightly in SBS networks.
> > http://www.jasonmiller.ca/2010/03/blackberry-enterprise-server-express-besx/
>
> Thanks - it doesn't look promising.

well, followed all the directions, followed the reviews, installed it on
SBS 2008 with all updates/packs and E2007 SP2, CDO, etc....

The first install went without any errors, but i could not logon to the
Administration website.

After looking for any errors, anything, I uninstalled, which requires
multiple reboots, than reinstalled it - now I don't even get the
Administration website....

What a total piece of crap the new BBExpress service is.

We're back to using the desktop client for contacts and calendar and
using BIS for email sync.

Trust yourself.
Leythos
3/30/2010 11:19:46 PM
Usually if you can't log in, it's because you need to enable KDC.  You
would go to ADUC, open your besadmin user and go to account, then
this account".  That will get you logging in.

--
laereth
0

vc++6 installed files
I got a "Internal application error." popup window when I'm running my application. My application is created through MS Visual C++ 6 and contains dialogs and some database connections through DAO. It seems like there is a file that MS Visual C++ 6 installs which makes the program run without problems. Can it be a file wich has database functionality? Any other ideas what could be the problem is very welcome. Joachim Well you do have to install DAO. It is in a directory called 'Redist' off your VC6 CD-ROM. ...

Epay creates new payee resulting in duplicate payee names
This is driving me a bit crazy. Even though I've created an EPay using an existing payee, Money 2006 will often, but not always create a new identical payee when the transaction is submitted to the bank. Interestingly, though the EPay transactions are recorded in the "new" payee, if I select "go to payee" from the bill pay menu, I'm taken to the "old" payee. Further complicating things, after moving these transactions from new to old and deleting the old payee, EPay transactions are still being posted to the deleted new payee. You can't see ...

Outlook Express Attachments #18
How do you view an attachment that is blocked by the following message: "OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments..." Thanks Jim Sullivan <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do you view an attachment that is blocked by the > following message: "OE removed access to the following > unsafe attachments..." Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. Hint: Tools>Options>Security. -- Brian Tillman ...

Defrag Application for SBS 2003
Hi all, Need advice on a defrag program that can co-exist with ShadowProtect 3.5 and Symantec EndPoint Protection 11. The Server is a Proliant ML 150 G5 with 4 SATA Hotplug Drives with 2 RAID 1 partitions on each ARRAY. Thanks, Dan I've always just used the built-in defrag, not that I do it very often. I would probably pause ShadowProtect while the defrag runs, then do a full instead of incremental when defrag finishes. I assume that SP will have to back up any sectors that have changed anyway, so you'd probably get a full backup or close to it, even if y...

Trial version overwrites paid version.
I've been using Money forever and wanted to get 05 for the automatic updates. I backed up my 04 and signed up for the trial version. It seem to work OK. Then I read that everything might not port over correctly when/if I pay and get a full copy. So I bought a copy, downloaded and installed. Worked fine. Once Money finished downloading the updates, it reverted back to the trial version. What do I do know? I paid money for 05 deluxe and now it won't work. You have to love Microsoft. Make it look cool with lots of bells and whistles. Bugs bugs bugs -- Tom Tom wrote: &...

Portability to all versions of Windows
I am writing an VC++ 6, MFC app that uses standard listviews, dialogs, DaoRecordset connecting to an Access database and Crystal Reports. I know that 2000 and XP are very similar and portability should not be an issue, but what about 98 and ME? Are there any issues that would prevent the app runing under 98 and ME? William Gower wrote: > I am writing an VC++ 6, MFC app that uses standard listviews, dialogs, > DaoRecordset connecting to an Access database and Crystal Reports. I know > that 2000 and XP are very similar and portability should not be an issue, > but what about 98...

Activate New Mail Has Arrived dialog box? Outlook 2002
MS Outlook 2002 I want to configure Outlook to open the dialog box "New Mail Has Arrived. Do you wish to read now?" When I am in other programs. iow - all user action freezes until I answer that question. TIA - Wayne [bubba6 - 83009] ...

Save Excel 2003 to earlier version
I posted this yesterday but couldn't find it. I have an order form, created in Excel 2003, on my website but customers with earlier versions of Excel can't open without downloading Web Component. Many say they are unable to do so. How can I save the form in an earlier version? -- Gayle I use google to search groups. http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.excel.* Give it enough information (you as the author, maybe a keyword or date) and you'll find it. (You have another response to your followup from today.) Gayle wrote: ...

Just upgraded to Office XP and macros from an older version are n.
all macros not working / some ??? have you changed your security setting to medium (tools / macro / security)? a few more details might help :) Cheers JulieD "The spaceman" <The spaceman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9EF1494F-CAC9-43A0-AE25-C1A3337F03B8@microsoft.com... > ...

Outlook wont work, but Outlook Express does
we have a new computer that we want to use Outlook. Outlook Express works fine, but Outlook will not connect to our mail server to send or receive mail. The settings are the same. Any ideas as to why? Do you receive any errors in Outlook? "BRShort" <BRShort@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8353384C-CBF4-4B91-A3DB-6727EDA68C84@microsoft.com... > we have a new computer that we want to use Outlook. Outlook Express works > fine, but Outlook will not connect to our mail server to send or receive > mail. The settings are the same. Any ideas as to w...

Install Office
Hi, I would like to install Office 2003 on a Windows XP Embedded client, with minimal space on the system disk. However, there is a second disk, a harddrive with more than enough space. I tried to install on that second disk, but is seems that there is a lot of space needed on the system disk also. So setup stops with an error 'there is not enough space on c disk'. Is there a solution to install office with minimal use of the system disk? Sounds like the creation of the MSOCache folder is stopping the installation process. You can control which local (fixed) dri...

VS2003 Install Project
Is this error message patently clear to anyone ? ------ Starting pre-build validation for project 'WinBookyInstall' ------ ERROR: An error occurred while validating. HRESULT = '80040155' ------ Pre-build validation for project 'WinBookyInstall' completed ------ It is a COM HRESULT and if you look it up using 'Error Lookup' from the tools menu it means 'Interface not registered'. That is some COM interface is not registered. To register the interface you usually have to run 'regsvr32' against a proxy-stub DLL. ...

Word 2008 Spingle Spacing Problem

Update from CRM 3.0 to new CRM 4.0
At the moment we are runnig CRM 3.0. Because of the new multi-language feature of CRM 4.0 we want tu upgrate/update to the new version. Does anybody has further information about the necessary steps? I suggest that you wait for the officially released version which will contain upgrade and installation guides. -- ----------------- Please note that the contents of my posts are my personal opinions and views and I am not a Microsoft staff member. ----------------- Feridun Kadir MCSE, MCT "Frank_Munich" wrote: > At the moment we are runnig CRM 3.0. Because of the new multi-...

Anyone used service scheduling to manage Hotel or Classroom bookin
I need a simple data entry capability with rooms vertically and a scrollable calendar -- Best wishes WES ...

Can I use a macro to create a macro in a new workbook?
I have a macro that splits data in a single worksheet into multiple workbooks based on a change of data in a particular row. Is there a way within this macro to make it create a script in the new workbook that runs when certain cells are altered? EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice ..NET Compact Framework Missing DataTable .Copy() http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/6c88e324-5907-49d7-af14-841b27bdddb2/net-compact-framework-mi.aspx The easiest thing it to create a template with the required code, and use that template as the basis of the workbook that you cre...

Outlook to a new PC
Moving Outlook 2002 from a W98 PC to an XP PC. I have imported the pst and info in Calendar/Contacts/Inbox/Notes now display perfectly. Two easy questions. 1) Folders I have created (e.g., 'Technical Data') do not appear. How do I get them imported? 2) In the previous installation (W98), I had to pst's - one for me, one for my wife. How do I import hers and get it to show seperately? -- Replace the AT in address Statistics convinces us we are in a minority. Probability convinces us we are psychic. Do NOT import .pst files. Just copy them to the new computer and use File...

Reaching max limit on Excahgne DB (16gb SBS limit)
Yesterday we surpassed the 16gb limit on our SBS 2000 Exchange db. I had been monitoring the db size from time to time but did not realize I had to add the priv1.edb and priv1.stm together to come up with the actual db size (stupid me). Anyway, our current sizes are priv1.edb = 16, 661,832 and priv1.stm is 3,162,120. I went through the process of adding the registry entry to get an extra gig for the store and then remounted the store and it worked just fine. (KB828070 - option#2) I immediately got users to begin deleting /archiving their email. However, even after online defrag ran, ...

UK stuck with old version
This is most probably a pointless question, but here goes. I wondered why that in the UK the latest version is money 2005, where as if you live in the USA you can get money 2007. Is there many new things in money 2007 that are not in money 2005? NIK -- Remove nospam for personal reply if responding via newsgroup. I guess that the cost of converting M2007 to work for the UK was a lot greater than any potential sales! :-( See http://money.mvps.org/product/US/2007/Default.aspx for a list of M2007 features. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http:/...

Outlook Express font size problem
I have a friend with a visual handicap and is tring to recieve his email in large font. I have found that by changing the read mail to Read all messages in plain text the large font option is available but when he recieves something in HTML he has to change back. I have not been sucessful in using the large font in HTML. Is there an answer to this problem? Thanks for any help you can give me. Skip Can't he set OE to read all messages in plain text? There's a setting in the options, under the READ tab. "Skip Bisconer" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

Error Installing DPM Agent in non-trusted domain
I am running into an issue with DPM agent working wiht a standalone workstation When I push an agent to a system it always error. i already tried to SetDPMServer command, it cant go thought with the [-updatePassword] -- KT To install the agent on workgroup computers , can you please follow the steps present at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634193.aspx -- Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. DPM Newsgroup will be deprecated very soon. Please start using DPM TechNet forum at:http://...

Transferring contacts and calendar data from old computer to new computer
Help! How does one transfer the outlook contact files and calendar files from an old computer to a new computer's outlook? Take a look here, it may help: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Darren asked: | Help! How does one transfer the outlook contact files and | calendar files from an old computer to a n...

CRT new exception
I have a program that repeatedly allocates and deallocates memory in small amounts (ranging from 1 byte to 25 bytes). This is done 1000s of time during the lifetime of the program and for simplicity and unit testing reasons, i test this using a win32 console application template using Visual C++ 6.0. I leave the program running and it usually is broken in somewhere around a "new" call after a couple of hours. The code i am trying to unit test is well behaved and deallocates all memory it allocates. (The allocation calls are all new BYTE[x] calls. x being a value from 1 and upw...

Outlook Express Background?
Hi, I use Outlook Express and I run in 1280x1024, which makes that "welcome page" look a little messed up because obviously the background for it is designed for lower resolutions than what I use. I tried to located where this background file might be so I could replace it with a custom one with Angelina Jolie on it or somethin. So, is it possible to change the background of the welcome page in Outlook Express? Thanks, -Justo Hi, Justo - This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different ...

install certificate -- not working?
I installed my co-workers certificate (using Tools>Options>Security>Digital Signatures, double-clicked her certificate and selected Install Certificate... got the message saying "sucessful import" and clicked OK).... in a new file, when I go to add her signature, when I click Add, I only see mine, not hers as well... what am I doing wrong? ...