Adding additional users to a client computer

I'm running SBS 2003 R2.

I have a number of client computers connected to the server, but each of
these has been allocated only one user account. Local reorganisation has led
the users to ask if they can be allowed to log into any computer, not just
the one they used to.

SBS provides a setup computer wizard where you can add a new computer and
then add users to it. However this won't work with an existing computer, and
I can't find an obvious way of doing this from the server.

(I had looked at establishing roaming profiles as a possible way around
this, but there is a mix of XP and W7 operating systems on the client
computers and apparently roaming profiles are not recommended in this
scenario.)

Is there a wizard for adding users to an existing computer from the server,
or do I have to do this by connecting each computer to the server using the
\\servername\connectcomputer url?

Thanks

Brian
Warwickshire UK

BrianR wrote:

>I'm running SBS 2003 R2.
>
>I have a number of client computers connected to the server, but each of
>these has been allocated only one user account. Local reorganisation has
>led
>the users to ask if they can be allowed to log into any computer, not just
>the one they used to.
>
>SBS provides a setup computer wizard where you can add a new computer and
>then add users to it. However this won't work with an existing computer,
>and
>I can't find an obvious way of doing this from the server.
>
>(I had looked at establishing roaming profiles as a possible way around
>this, but there is a mix of XP and W7 operating systems on the client
>computers and apparently roaming profiles are not recommended in this
>scenario.)
>
>Is there a wizard for adding users to an existing computer from the server,
>or do I have to do this by connecting each computer to the server using the
>\\servername\connectcomputer url?

All domain accounts can log on at any client PC, by default.

The key steps that the SBS2003 user wizards do is to grant a user local
administrative privileges on any PC they're allocated to, and puts their
account in the local Remote Desktop Users group (assuming they're allowed
to RWW).

Personally, I don't agree with blanket local administrative privileges for
users anyway, so tend to revoke that, and if most users need to access the
PCs remotely, I add the Remote Workplace Users domain group to the local
Remote Desktop Users group instead. And I usually do all that using GPO
"Restricted Groups" settings (so I don't have to run around touching PCs!).

--
Steve Foster
------------
Please reply only to the newsgroups.
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.: https://netshop.virtual-isp.net
0
Steve
2/24/2010 5:39:17 PM
Useless otherwise blocked by Group policy or other means, any domain user
should be able to log onto any workstation.  Just give them a domain account
by running the Add User wizard from the Server Management console.  When
they first log onto a workstation, their (Outlook) email profile should be
automatically created on that machine.  They will also have access to their
user folders on the server in My Network Places (for WinXP machines).  If
you use My Documents Folder Redirection, all data saved to their My
Documents folder would be redirected to the server and available at each
workstation.

Now, their Internet Explorer 'Favorites' will not follow them from one
computer to another, nor will their desktop.  Their desktop can be handled
with desktop redirection.  (You can actually redirect 4 folders:
Application Data, Desktop, Start Menu, and My Documents folders).

Redirecting the Client Desktop to the Server
http://sbs.seandaniel.com/2004/11/redirecting-client-desktop-to-server.html

For Windows 7 computers, you'll need to download and install RSAT on one of
them and configure the Group Policy for folder redirection from that
workstation.

Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7D2F6AD7-656B-4313-A005-4E344E43997D&displaylang=en

.... similar to:

RSAT, Vista and ShellRunas
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2008/03/25/rsat-vista-and-shellrunas.aspx

--
Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
============================

"BrianR" <BrianR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running SBS 2003 R2.
>
> I have a number of client computers connected to the server, but each of
> these has been allocated only one user account. Local reorganisation has
> led
> the users to ask if they can be allowed to log into any computer, not just
> the one they used to.
>
> SBS provides a setup computer wizard where you can add a new computer and
> then add users to it. However this won't work with an existing computer,
> and
> I can't find an obvious way of doing this from the server.
>
> (I had looked at establishing roaming profiles as a possible way around
> this, but there is a mix of XP and W7 operating systems on the client
> computers and apparently roaming profiles are not recommended in this
> scenario.)
>
> Is there a wizard for adding users to an existing computer from the
> server,
> or do I have to do this by connecting each computer to the server using
> the
> \\servername\connectcomputer url?
>
> Thanks
>
> Brian
> Warwickshire UK

0
Merv
2/24/2010 6:02:17 PM
All the users are already in the domain users group so they should have a
domain account. However if I try and log in using details for someone who
wasn't added when i originally connected the computer, I get the error
messsage: The operator or administrator has refused the request. (4320)

This looks like a privileges problem, but I how do I locate which policy or
permission is locking them out?

Thanks

Brian

"Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

> Useless otherwise blocked by Group policy or other means, any domain user
> should be able to log onto any workstation.  Just give them a domain account
> by running the Add User wizard from the Server Management console.  When
> they first log onto a workstation, their (Outlook) email profile should be
> automatically created on that machine.  They will also have access to their
> user folders on the server in My Network Places (for WinXP machines).  If
> you use My Documents Folder Redirection, all data saved to their My
> Documents folder would be redirected to the server and available at each
> workstation.
>
> Now, their Internet Explorer 'Favorites' will not follow them from one
> computer to another, nor will their desktop.  Their desktop can be handled
> with desktop redirection.  (You can actually redirect 4 folders:
> Application Data, Desktop, Start Menu, and My Documents folders).
>
> Redirecting the Client Desktop to the Server
> http://sbs.seandaniel.com/2004/11/redirecting-client-desktop-to-server.html
>
> For Windows 7 computers, you'll need to download and install RSAT on one of
> them and configure the Group Policy for folder redirection from that
> workstation.
>
> Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7D2F6AD7-656B-4313-A005-4E344E43997D&displaylang=en
>
> .... similar to:
>
> RSAT, Vista and ShellRunas
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2008/03/25/rsat-vista-and-shellrunas.aspx
>

> --
> Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
> ============================
>
> "BrianR" <BrianR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm running SBS 2003 R2.
> >
> > I have a number of client computers connected to the server, but each of
> > these has been allocated only one user account. Local reorganisation has
> > led
> > the users to ask if they can be allowed to log into any computer, not just
> > the one they used to.
> >
> > SBS provides a setup computer wizard where you can add a new computer and
> > then add users to it. However this won't work with an existing computer,
> > and
> > I can't find an obvious way of doing this from the server.
> >
> > (I had looked at establishing roaming profiles as a possible way around
> > this, but there is a mix of XP and W7 operating systems on the client
> > computers and apparently roaming profiles are not recommended in this
> > scenario.)
> >
> > Is there a wizard for adding users to an existing computer from the
> > server,
> > or do I have to do this by connecting each computer to the server using
> > the
> > \\servername\connectcomputer url?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Brian
> > Warwickshire UK
>
> .

All the users are membes of the built-in Domain User Group so I assume this
is what you mean be a domain account. However, if I try and log in a user who
wasn't added to the computer when it was originally set up on the domain, I
get the message:

The operator or administrator has refused the request. (4320)

To my knowledge, nothing has been set up on the system to deliberately
prevent login at any computer. How can I find out which Goup Policy is
causing the user to be locked out?

Thanks

Brian

"Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

> Useless otherwise blocked by Group policy or other means, any domain user
> should be able to log onto any workstation.  Just give them a domain account
> by running the Add User wizard from the Server Management console.  When
> they first log onto a workstation, their (Outlook) email profile should be
> automatically created on that machine.  They will also have access to their
> user folders on the server in My Network Places (for WinXP machines).  If
> you use My Documents Folder Redirection, all data saved to their My
> Documents folder would be redirected to the server and available at each
> workstation.
>
> Now, their Internet Explorer 'Favorites' will not follow them from one
> computer to another, nor will their desktop.  Their desktop can be handled
> with desktop redirection.  (You can actually redirect 4 folders:
> Application Data, Desktop, Start Menu, and My Documents folders).
>
> Redirecting the Client Desktop to the Server
> http://sbs.seandaniel.com/2004/11/redirecting-client-desktop-to-server.html
>
> For Windows 7 computers, you'll need to download and install RSAT on one of
> them and configure the Group Policy for folder redirection from that
> workstation.
>
> Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7D2F6AD7-656B-4313-A005-4E344E43997D&displaylang=en
>
> .... similar to:
>
> RSAT, Vista and ShellRunas
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2008/03/25/rsat-vista-and-shellrunas.aspx
>

> --
> Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
> ============================
>
> "BrianR" <BrianR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm running SBS 2003 R2.
> >
> > I have a number of client computers connected to the server, but each of
> > these has been allocated only one user account. Local reorganisation has
> > led
> > the users to ask if they can be allowed to log into any computer, not just
> > the one they used to.
> >
> > SBS provides a setup computer wizard where you can add a new computer and
> > then add users to it. However this won't work with an existing computer,
> > and
> > I can't find an obvious way of doing this from the server.
> >
> > (I had looked at establishing roaming profiles as a possible way around
> > this, but there is a mix of XP and W7 operating systems on the client
> > computers and apparently roaming profiles are not recommended in this
> > scenario.)
> >
> > Is there a wizard for adding users to an existing computer from the
> > server,
> > or do I have to do this by connecting each computer to the server using
> > the
> > \\servername\connectcomputer url?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Brian
> > Warwickshire UK
>
> .

For a problematic user account, on the SBS server:

Server Management | Users | <rt. click a user account | Properties |
Account | Log On To (button)

Does it say "All computers" or does it specify only a single computer?

--
Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
============================

> [...]
>> > the users to ask if they can be allowed to log into any computer, not
>> > just
>> > the one they used to.
>> >
>> > SBS provides a setup computer wizard where you can add a new computer
>> > and
>> > then add users to it. However this won't work with an existing
>> > computer,
>> > and
>> > I can't find an obvious way of doing this from the server.
>> >
>> > (I had looked at establishing roaming profiles as a possible way around
>> > this, but there is a mix of XP and W7 operating systems on the client
>> > computers and apparently roaming profiles are not recommended in this
>> > scenario.)
>> >
>> > Is there a wizard for adding users to an existing computer from the
>> > server,
>> > or do I have to do this by connecting each computer to the server using

0
Merv
2/26/2010 1:00:20 PM
Perhaps off track, but if this is a vanilla SBS2003 setup then the default
SBS login script is likely still running and "setup.exe" requires local
admin on the workstation.

As the OP said he's a mix of Win7 machines and XP it might me worth noting
what workstation OS this error comes from.

--
/kj

0
kj
2/26/2010 6:20:57 PM
HI Merv

The all computers radio button is checked on both an existing user and a new
user created through the Add User wizard.

Thanks

Brian

"Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> you use My Documents Folder Redirection, all data saved to their My
> >> Documents folder would be redirected to the server and available at each
> >> workstation.
> >>
> >> Now, their Internet Explorer 'Favorites' will not follow them from one
> >> computer to another, nor will their desktop.  Their desktop can be
> >> handled
> >> with desktop redirection.  (You can actually redirect 4 folders:
> >> Application Data, Desktop, Start Menu, and My Documents folders).
> >>
> >> Redirecting the Client Desktop to the Server
> >> http://sbs.seandaniel.com/2004/11/redirecting-client-desktop-to-server.html
> >>
> >> For Windows 7 computers, you'll need to download and install RSAT on one
> >> of
> >> them and configure the Group Policy for folder redirection from that
> >> workstation.
> >>
> >> Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7

What 3rd party software is on the workstations (antivirus, antispyware,
remote access, etc.)?

--
Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
============================

> HI Merv
>
> The all computers radio button is checked on both an existing user and a
> new
> user created through the Add User wizard.
>
> Thanks
>
> Brian
>
> "Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]" wrote:
>
>> For a problematic user account, on the SBS server:
>>
>> Server Management | Users | <rt. click a user account | Properties |
>> Account | Log On To (button)
>>
>> Does it say "All computers" or does it specify only a single computer?
>>
>> --
>> Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
>> ============================
>>
>> "BrianR" <BrianR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > All the users are membes of the built-in Domain User Group so I assume
>> > this
>> > is what you mean be a domain account. However, if I try and log in a
>> > user
>> > who
>> > wasn't added to the computer when it was originally set up on the
>> > domain,
>> > get the message:
>> >
>> > The operator or administrator has refused the request. (4320)
>> >
>> > To my knowledge, nothing has been set up on the system to deliberately
>> > prevent login at any computer. How can I find out which Goup Policy is
>> > causing the user to be locked out?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Brian

>> .

0
Merv
3/2/2010 12:30:29 PM
BrianR wrote:

>All the users are membes of the built-in Domain User Group so I assume this
>is what you mean be a domain account. However, if I try and log in a user
>who
>wasn't added to the computer when it was originally set up on the domain, I
>get the message:
>
>The operator or administrator has refused the request. (4320)
>
>To my knowledge, nothing has been set up on the system to deliberately
>prevent login at any computer. How can I find out which Goup Policy is
>causing the user to be locked out?

A Google search for that error message returns lots of results that talk
about the software LogMeIn.

Is LogMeIn installed on the problematic PC(s) ?

--
Steve Foster
------------
Please reply only to the newsgroups.
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.: https://netshop.virtual-isp.net
0
Steve
3/2/2010 4:48:42 PM
Hi Steve

Yes, Log me in is on the particular computers that I am working on - I will
uninstall it and see if that clears the problem.

Thanks

Brian

"Steve Foster" wrote:

> BrianR wrote:
>
> >All the users are membes of the built-in Domain User Group so I assume this
> >is what you mean be a domain account. However, if I try and log in a user
> >who
> >wasn't added to the computer when it was originally set up on the domain, I
> >get the message:
> >
> >The operator or administrator has refused the request. (4320)
> >
> >To my knowledge, nothing has been set up on the system to deliberately
> >prevent login at any computer. How can I find out which Goup Policy is
> >causing the user to be locked out?
>
> A Google search for that error message returns lots of results that talk
> about the software LogMeIn.
>
> Is LogMeIn installed on the problematic PC(s) ?
>
> --
> Steve Foster
> ------------
> Please reply only to the newsgroups.
> For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.: https://netshop.virtual-isp.net
> .

Trend Security on the server and client copmuters, and LogMeIn on some of the
computers.

I'll take a look at these today.

Thanks

Brian

"Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

> What 3rd party software is on the workstations (antivirus, antispyware,
> remote access, etc.)?
>
> --
> Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
> ============================
>
> "BrianR" <BrianR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > HI Merv
> >
> > The all computers radio button is checked on both an existing user and a
> > new
> > user created through the Add User wizard.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Brian
> >
> > "Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> For a problematic user account, on the SBS server:
> >>
> >> Server Management | Users | <rt. click a user account | Properties |
> >> Account | Log On To (button)
> >>
> >> Does it say "All computers" or does it specify only a single computer?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
> >> ============================
> >>
> >> "BrianR" <BrianR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>
> .

Removing LogMeIn has allowed access on the computers running XP. However it's
not possible to do this on the Windows 7 computers. These have never had
LogMeIn installed on them.

I'm trying to work out how to see if Trend is causing the problem - it is an
old version - 7.6.1055 Client/Server security agent.

"BrianR" wrote:

> Hi Steve
>
> Yes, Log me in is on the particular computers that I am working on - I will
> uninstall it and see if that clears the problem.
>
> Thanks
>
> Brian
>
> "Steve Foster" wrote:
>
> > BrianR wrote:
> >
> > >All the users are membes of the built-in Domain User Group so I assume this
> > >is what you mean be a domain account. However, if I try and log in a user
> > >who
> > >wasn't added to the computer when it was originally set up on the domain, I
> > >get the message:
> > >
> > >The operator or administrator has refused the request. (4320)
> > >
> > >To my knowledge, nothing has been set up on the system to deliberately
> > >prevent login at any computer. How can I find out which Goup Policy is
> > >causing the user to be locked out?
> >
> > A Google search for that error message returns lots of results that talk
> > about the software LogMeIn.
> >
> > Is LogMeIn installed on the problematic PC(s) ?
> >
> > --
> > Steve Foster
> > ------------
> > Please reply only to the newsgroups.
> > For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.: https://netshop.virtual-isp.net
> > .

Adding hyperlinks with parameters

Newbie question on Admin vs Developer vs Power User
I'm learning Sharepoing/Moss now and there seems to be a definite distinction in all the course materials between Administrators/Developers/Power Users They seem to make a big point about identifying 'power users' in different sections of the work environment to handle a lot of the stuff, but then again, all the tasks seem to blur from one role to the other - and, if you gave enough of the tasks over to the 'Power users', as they call them, it seems to take away from the other roles. Now, maybe I've never worked in a business enterprise that's big enoug...

Deleted User, Lost License
I accidentally deleted a user from Active Directory prior to removing their CRM license, and now CRM will not let me remove the license for that user because the user no longer exists. Anyone know how I can reclaim the orphaned license? Thanks, -Jeff Hi Jeff One solution is this: -Open Deployment Manager and go to License Manager -Remove your CRM License -Add you CRM License back -Open CRM and assign License to all users who need them Regards Dan "JeffW" wrote: > I accidentally deleted a user from Active Directory prior to removing their > CRM license, and now CRM w...

Multiple Users
Let's say I buy merchandise for 1 department. I have dozens of users (for different departments), who import data (using a form) from 1 source database (in which they do not see). Upon importing the source data (their department info), they manipulate it, then delete the relevant old data in the source, and replace it with the newly manipulated data. My question is: Is there any chance of data deletion with multiple users hitting the source at the same time? Meaning, if I am only deleting and replacing MY department, it shouldn't affect other data in the table? We&...

ADDING A NUMBER

adding new records

When adding attachments...

Error when add New User #2
Hi, dont know when it happened. When I add new user to production MSCRM 4, there is an error message (An error Has occurred.....). However, when I try to add this user to my test CRM, it can successfully add without any problem. Both servers are running the same spec and version. I tried to add different users to production but all failed. I have set the deverror to ON but the error message still appear as An error has occurs. Apart from that, I have used CRM diagostic Tool but cannot see anything unusual from the log. I have even run the repair but effort is all wasted. Please He...

Moving User from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003
I built an exchange 2003 server on win3k platform and it is coexisting with exchange 5.5. i also moved few users from 5.5 to 2003. Now i am moving a user who has a big mailbox 796,269kb. its been running 1 horu and 48 min. from past 30 min it is saying "saving changes to the directory". and its 100%. can any one tell me is it normal or its an indication of a problem. thanks -- Curious MCSE, CCNP Curious wrote: > I built an exchange 2003 server on win3k platform and it is coexisting with > exchange 5.5. i also moved few users from 5.5 to 2003. Now i am moving a > use...

Adding ActiveX to dialog with wrapper

Money 2004 Deluxe and multiple network users
Is MS Money 2005 now "network aware"? In other words, can I set up a money file so that two users can access it across a home network without worrying about whether or not the other user is already in the file, thus causing corruption? I did a quick test which would suggest yes, but I want to triple check. Here's what I did: 1. Copied my money file to a safe location 2. Opened it on one computer (A) 3. Walked to another computer (B), opened it there as well 4. Opened A to Home page. 5. Opened B to Home page, then went to downloaded statements and accepted some transaction. 6. O...

Using xlsm worksheets on different computers
So I just creaed the greatest spreadsheet ever with lots of Visual Basic and Macro buttons that makes it a dream for the user to use. A startup macro opens at the Menu page, lots of hyperlinks to various worksheets, lots of macro buttons, tabs hidden, VB password protected, hidden worksheets, an expiry date on the workbook which inhibits further use after a certain date etc.... You get the idea. I digitally signed it and installed it on the computer where it will be used. At the end of each week this monthly file is emailed to a number of managers, and I soon realised the frui...

Adding alternate columns

Money cannot creare a temporary file in 'C:\Documents and Settings\[USER]\Local Settings\Temp'
Hi, I just started to get this kind of error message when I make bakups with my Money 2003 Deluxe: "Money cannot creare a temporary file in 'C:\Documents and Settings\[USER]\Local Settings\Temp'". I checked the folder mentioned and my WinXP user account has the privilges on that folder (as it is supposed to have). How I can solve it? Thank in advance. Di Fresco Marco > I just started to get this kind of error message when I make bakups with my > Money 2003 Deluxe: > "Money cannot creare a temporary file in 'C:\Documents and > Settings\[USER]\Local...

Change License Key
Helllo, I´ve the following problem: On my server runs MS CRM 3.0 with a trail license key. The license has expired now. But I cant change the license because I´ve 21 users in the system, but only 20 licenses... How can I solve this problem? greetings, Stefan disabling a user will remove a user license. "Stefan" <Stefan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4500CF02-65FD-46F8-B3B0-7A80A5B89005@microsoft.com... > Helllo, > > I�ve the following problem: > On my server runs MS CRM 3.0 with a trail license key. > The license has expired now...

Roaming users getting new mail profile each login
We recently changed Outlook settings using the Office 2003 Administration kit. This worked well apart from roaming users constantly getting new mail profiles and having to reset their original mail profile. The problem creates a backup outlook2 profile in the control panel and the correct profile is not loaded. TIA David ...

Adding fields from a different query

how do I set up a database for client information
I need to create a database (would like to do it in Excel) that would compile client information such as name, address, birthdate, retirement date, phone, assigned rep, e-mail address, etc. then be able to pull out only the information needed and from only certian assinged reps. I have never done a spreadsheet or database before. So I need explecit details. Thank you Tracie You can enter all the data in a list on the worksheet, with column headings to indicate what information is stored in each column. Then, you can use an AutoFilter to view the data for one rep, or a specific date...

Is it possible to stop a user from posting?
Hello to all, I'm adding a trigger to the "Post" button on the Payables Transaction Entry screen, that will do some custom validation and if it fail, should prevent the user to post the transaction. I can add the trigger without any difficulty, the only thing that I can't figure out is how to prevent the post. Can anyone help me please. -- Best regards, Sergio Romero Sergio Because you say "trigger" I assume you are using Dexterity. If this is the case, please make sure that you are using a Focus trigger running before the change script of the Post Butt...

Selecting only specific rows for a Sort
OR, should I define a set of date ranges to cover the dates from the day after the last meeting to the day before the next meeting, for each Group, so that I can simply the select the date range that's appropriate for me to produce a worksheet for it (if you see what I mean)? I'd still use autofilter. (See your previous post.) mkflirting wrote: > > OR, should I define a set of date ranges to cover the dates from the day > after the last meeting to the day before the next meeting, for each Group, so > that I can simply the select the date range that's ap...