Active Directory , Windows 2003 SBS to Windows 2008 SBS

Hello!

I've got a little issue here. I work for a company and we are getting a new 
Intelserver. Now the problem is we've got an 32bit windows 2003 small 
business server with an Active Directory (and sql). And we are getting a 
Windows 2008 Small business server 64bit. Is there any possible way to 
''Transfer'' ''Move'' or ''Copy'' the Active Directory to his new server 
without changing, removing or adding any data. I really need to be sure that 
nothing goes wrong cause 25 people are working on it everyday (Ofcourse i 
have a back-up, but still) Though I know there excists something called 
DCpromo that basically makes your second server a copy of your first (only 
ad) ... And addind a server into the domain via Computer Properties then 
Domain > blablalba But that doesnt Copy the AD doesnt it..  Or am i talking 
stupid now? Anyhow! I thank you for your help already!

Kind Regards,

Tim Ververs
0
Utf
2/16/2010 9:38:01 AM
windows.server.sbs 1975 articles. 0 followers. Follow

5 Replies
768 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 33

Tim Ververs wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I've got a little issue here. I work for a company and we are getting a new
>Intelserver. Now the problem is we've got an 32bit windows 2003 small
>business server with an Active Directory (and sql). And we are getting a
>Windows 2008 Small business server 64bit. Is there any possible way to
>''Transfer'' ''Move'' or ''Copy'' the Active Directory to his new server
>without changing, removing or adding any data. I really need to be sure 
>that
>nothing goes wrong cause 25 people are working on it everyday (Ofcourse i
>have a back-up, but still) Though I know there excists something called
>DCpromo that basically makes your second server a copy of your first (only
>ad) ... And addind a server into the domain via Computer Properties then
>Domain > blablalba But that doesnt Copy the AD doesnt it..  Or am i talking
>stupid now? Anyhow! I thank you for your help already!

What you're planning is a Migration.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=sbs+migration

-- 
Steve Foster
------------
Please reply only to the newsgroups.
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.: https://netshop.virtual-isp.net
0
Steve
2/16/2010 2:33:57 PM
Check out SBSMigration.   His process is very helpful especially if you have 
not done this often.  His process lets you take your time getting the new 
sever up and very nearly operational without interrupting the use of the 
existing server.

"Tim Ververs" <TimVervers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:71D0E55D-0565-4D27-A5D6-3AFF1AF4E4E0@microsoft.com...
> Hello!
>
> I've got a little issue here. I work for a company and we are getting a 
> new
> Intelserver. Now the problem is we've got an 32bit windows 2003 small
> business server with an Active Directory (and sql). And we are getting a
> Windows 2008 Small business server 64bit. Is there any possible way to
> ''Transfer'' ''Move'' or ''Copy'' the Active Directory to his new server
> without changing, removing or adding any data. I really need to be sure 
> that
> nothing goes wrong cause 25 people are working on it everyday (Ofcourse i
> have a back-up, but still) Though I know there excists something called
> DCpromo that basically makes your second server a copy of your first (only
> ad) ... And addind a server into the domain via Computer Properties then
> Domain > blablalba But that doesnt Copy the AD doesnt it..  Or am i 
> talking
> stupid now? Anyhow! I thank you for your help already!
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Tim Ververs 

0
PJG51
2/16/2010 5:46:18 PM
Along with SBS Migration,
If you are new to SBS2008
I highly suggest you also get someone to help with this
and do this on a weekend.
There are some specifics to SBS2008 that are different but similar to 
SBS2003
It's a new animal to learn.
Russ

-- 
Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC
Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist
SBS2003 SBS2008 Support - www.SBITS.Biz
Question or Second Opinion - www.PersonalITConsultant.com
Free Trial Microsoft Online Services - www.Microsoft-Online-Services.com


"Tim Ververs" <TimVervers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:71D0E55D-0565-4D27-A5D6-3AFF1AF4E4E0@microsoft.com...
> Hello!
>
> I've got a little issue here. I work for a company and we are getting a 
> new
> Intelserver. Now the problem is we've got an 32bit windows 2003 small
> business server with an Active Directory (and sql). And we are getting a
> Windows 2008 Small business server 64bit. Is there any possible way to
> ''Transfer'' ''Move'' or ''Copy'' the Active Directory to his new server
> without changing, removing or adding any data. I really need to be sure 
> that
> nothing goes wrong cause 25 people are working on it everyday (Ofcourse i
> have a back-up, but still) Though I know there excists something called
> DCpromo that basically makes your second server a copy of your first (only
> ad) ... And addind a server into the domain via Computer Properties then
> Domain > blablalba But that doesnt Copy the AD doesnt it..  Or am i 
> talking
> stupid now? Anyhow! I thank you for your help already!
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Tim Ververs 

0
Russ
2/18/2010 6:24:49 AM
So this ''SBSmigration'' Should help me migrate the AD without DCPromo? Or do 
i still need to use this tool. Correct, im new to this. I know abit about 
servers but i guess that's just general knowledge. Thanks for the reply's 
anyhow

Kind regards

"Russ SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

> Along with SBS Migration,
> If you are new to SBS2008
> I highly suggest you also get someone to help with this
> and do this on a weekend.
> There are some specifics to SBS2008 that are different but similar to 
> SBS2003
> It's a new animal to learn.
> Russ
> 
> -- 
> Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
> MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC
> Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist
> SBS2003 SBS2008 Support - www.SBITS.Biz
> Question or Second Opinion - www.PersonalITConsultant.com
> Free Trial Microsoft Online Services - www.Microsoft-Online-Services.com
> 
> 
> "Tim Ververs" <TimVervers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:71D0E55D-0565-4D27-A5D6-3AFF1AF4E4E0@microsoft.com...
> > Hello!
> >
> > I've got a little issue here. I work for a company and we are getting a 
> > new
> > Intelserver. Now the problem is we've got an 32bit windows 2003 small
> > business server with an Active Directory (and sql). And we are getting a
> > Windows 2008 Small business server 64bit. Is there any possible way to
> > ''Transfer'' ''Move'' or ''Copy'' the Active Directory to his new server
> > without changing, removing or adding any data. I really need to be sure 
> > that
> > nothing goes wrong cause 25 people are working on it everyday (Ofcourse i
> > have a back-up, but still) Though I know there excists something called
> > DCpromo that basically makes your second server a copy of your first (only
> > ad) ... And addind a server into the domain via Computer Properties then
> > Domain > blablalba But that doesnt Copy the AD doesnt it..  Or am i 
> > talking
> > stupid now? Anyhow! I thank you for your help already!
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> >
> > Tim Ververs 
> 
0
Utf
2/18/2010 7:44:01 AM
To my knowledge there are Three Methods.
(people come up with new ways all the time.)

Microsoft Method
Migrating to Windows Small Business Server 2008 from Windows Small Business
Server 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=52b7ea63-78af-4a96-811e-284f5c1de13b&displaylang=en

SwingMigration (Very Well Documented and Supported Third Party
Documentation)
http://www.sbsmigration.com/pages/45/

The  Fork Lift. or Brute Force.
Build server,
Move Data
Move users.

In each Case you should know what you are doing....

-- 
Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC
Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist
SBS2003 SBS2008 Support - www.SBITS.Biz
Question or Second Opinion - www.PersonalITConsultant.com
Free Trial Microsoft Online Services - www.Microsoft-Online-Services.com


"Tim Ververs" <TimVervers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:3DA4945C-2590-4FA1-A6DE-215D020BA23D@microsoft.com...
> So this ''SBSmigration'' Should help me migrate the AD without DCPromo? Or 
> do
> i still need to use this tool. Correct, im new to this. I know abit about
> servers but i guess that's just general knowledge. Thanks for the reply's
> anyhow
>
> Kind regards
>
> "Russ SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Along with SBS Migration,
>> If you are new to SBS2008
>> I highly suggest you also get someone to help with this
>> and do this on a weekend.
>> There are some specifics to SBS2008 that are different but similar to
>> SBS2003
>> It's a new animal to learn.
>> Russ
>>
>> -- 
>> Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
>> MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC
>> Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist
>> SBS2003 SBS2008 Support - www.SBITS.Biz
>> Question or Second Opinion - www.PersonalITConsultant.com
>> Free Trial Microsoft Online Services - www.Microsoft-Online-Services.com
>>
>>
>> "Tim Ververs" <TimVervers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:71D0E55D-0565-4D27-A5D6-3AFF1AF4E4E0@microsoft.com...
>> > Hello!
>> >
>> > I've got a little issue here. I work for a company and we are getting a
>> > new
>> > Intelserver. Now the problem is we've got an 32bit windows 2003 small
>> > business server with an Active Directory (and sql). And we are getting 
>> > a
>> > Windows 2008 Small business server 64bit. Is there any possible way to
>> > ''Transfer'' ''Move'' or ''Copy'' the Active Directory to his new 
>> > server
>> > without changing, removing or adding any data. I really need to be sure
>> > that
>> > nothing goes wrong cause 25 people are working on it everyday (Ofcourse 
>> > i
>> > have a back-up, but still) Though I know there excists something called
>> > DCpromo that basically makes your second server a copy of your first 
>> > (only
>> > ad) ... And addind a server into the domain via Computer Properties 
>> > then
>> > Domain > blablalba But that doesnt Copy the AD doesnt it..  Or am i
>> > talking
>> > stupid now? Anyhow! I thank you for your help already!
>> >
>> > Kind Regards,
>> >
>> > Tim Ververs
>> 
0
Russ
2/18/2010 7:45:54 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Outlook 2003 Contact files
I forgot to expert my contact data in Outlook 2003 before I had to reformat the harddrive and do PC Restore from Dell. In another dump move I forgot to print out the data. Fortunately I did make a full back up of all my files. I know the Contact data must be in the back up somewhere but I can't identify the files. Can anyone help? "Roberta Kay" <Roberta Kay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D4A97608-3D82-4A32-B404-8432480063FD@microsoft.com... >I forgot to expert my contact data in Outlook 2003 before I had to reformat > the harddrive and do P...

Using outlook 2003 do I need exchange server to share databases?
We are considering upgrading to outlook 2003. Can I and my assistant share my database of contacts and calendar? thanks for any information See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm MeNotHome wrote: > We are considering upgrading to outlook 2003. Can I and my assistant > share my database of contacts and calendar? > > thanks for any information Is this a realiable option? Thanks On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:47:56 -0500, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote: >See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/...

How to draw 2D values to windows screen??
Suppose now I have a 2D array containing binary values only (1 or 0). I would like to draw these values on the windows screen (created by MFC dialog-based app in MSVC++ 2005) with 0 be black (0, 0, 0) and 1 be white (255, 255, 255). Which MFC class and function should I use to achieve this effect?? Newbie Question wrote: > Suppose now I have a 2D array containing binary values only (1 or 0). I would > like to draw these values on the windows screen (created by MFC dialog-based > app in MSVC++ 2005) with 0 be black (0, 0, 0) and 1 be white (255, 255, 255). > Which MFC class a...

Active Tasks in Outlook Today
Is there a way to only display active tasks in Outlook Today ...

Exchange 2003 corrupting attachments
Good morning, I've got an Exchange 2003 server which is set up to be able to accept and relay messages for anyone within both a specific IP block and as well as for any authenticated user. So the machine can send/rec messages to any authenticated user, and anyone within my internal network can use the Exchange server to relay messages (for automated logging scripts). That being said, here is my problem: I've got a developer who's trying to write a script that will grab some logs from a tomcat install and mail them to his email address within the company, the email messag...

Junk E-Mail filter problem in Outlook 2003
Suddenly, all the junk e-mail that would normally go to the Junk E-Mail folder is now just dropping into my Inbox. I mean all the junk e-mail. It's catching nothing. I have it set on Low and it always let some stuff slip through, but now it is just not working at all. I changed it to High and exited Outlook, re-opened Outlook and set it back to Low, exited Outlook and re-opened it and still I get the same behavior. Never seen this one before. This is Outlook 2003 on WinXP and it's a POP account. Any help would be appreciated. Russell Campbell <nospam@123nospam321.com&...

RPC over HTTP on a SBS 2003
I have setup my SBS box to use RPC over HTTP. At first I tried to do setup the client without SSL to test it. This failed. I preceded to setup SSL and tried RPC over HTTPs, hoping I may find something I missed during the initial test. I am still not able to connect my clients using RPC over HTTP. We put a sniffer on the server and the test client. You can watch the client try to use HTTP first without only acknowledge reset sent back from the server. After the client tries 5 - 6 times it defaults to normal RPC. With HTTPs the client requests the server, and the server acknowledges. Th...

Import directory data into Excel 2003
I have over 1000 media files that I would like to extract information from and put into an Excel spreadsheet. Using Explorer, I have defined the fields I would like to see, such as title, duration, comment etc. Now, I need to import this data into Excel. So far, I've not been able to find a way to do this. Can someone offer some suggestions please? Thanks, Nigel -- www.myoldcontacts.com - Tell your friends to tell their friends www.sysadmininc.com - Consultancy, Service, Sales, Networking... www.british-expats.com - Connect with British Expats World Wide www.kxez.com/shows_britishinv...

How to monitor Outlook 2003 performance/health
I've Outlook 2003 with an Exchange 2000 server account built in the profile. I need to monitor Outlook performance accessing to the nailbox and Exchange 2000 public folder. Often I got the red exclamation mark on Outlook icon in system tray to explain that Outlook doesn't respond (I think it's trying to retrieve Exchange 2000 data). Is there any tool client or server side to log/track the activity ? Thanks Sergio ...

Recurring Service Activities / Items -- CRM 3.0 -- No capability?!
What's the rationale behind *not* having the ability to schedule recurring activities and service items? Have I missed something in workflows or some such? Thanks, ....dgg On May 25, 3:16 pm, David G <David G...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > What's the rationale behind *not* having the ability to schedule recurring > activities and service items? > > Have I missed something in workflows or some such? > > Thanks, > > ...dgg Hi David, Has anyone responded to your question? We are having the same issue and I'm hoping there is a solution avail...

Disclaimer in Exchange 2003 #3
Hi, Is there any option in Exchange 2003 to add a message (Just like Disclaimer or Signature) to all outgoing Messages without using any third party S/W. If no, is there any freeware software available to achive this. Please Help.. Thanks, Vineet The free GFI module? http://www.msexchange.org/news/Disclaimer_software_for_Exchange_Server_provided_free_by_GFI.html -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Vineet" <Vineet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1740AA0-078F-4898-BC8E-4BF8E8A6A117@mic...

Issue with Windows 2008 Joining Windows 2003 Domain
Greetings, I have an Active Directory domain with two Windows Server 2003 32-bit machines as the domain contrallers (DC's). Right now, I'd like to order a new Windows Server 2008 64-bit machine to join to this domain as a third DC. Is there any known issue with domain controllers mixed with Win2003 and Win2008? Is there any known issue with domain controllers mixed with 32-bit and 64-bit? Do I need to do some preparation for the mixed environment? Any info would be appreciated, Ross Howdie! Ross schrieb: > Is there any known issue with domain controll...

importar emails y cuentas desde Outlook Express 6 a Windows Mail
Me acabo de comprar un laptop con Windows Vista, mi anterior Laptop tenia XP y usaba el Outlook Express 6 y necesito pasar todos esos emails a Windows Mail, alguien me puede explicar como?? ...

trouble sending messages through windows mail
Hello, I/m trying to help my father out with sending messages through Windows mail. It was working 2 days ago then all of a sudden I get a message like this: An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'i knew that was being worked on', Account: 'Fuse', Server: 'smtp.fuse.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '501 5.5.2 RCPT TO syntax error', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 501, Error Number: 0x800CCC63 Can someone please come to the rescue and either explain what this means or tell me how to fix this problem so that he can send email. Th...

Internal e-mail activities are adding up
As people begin to use CRM and send internal e-mails regarding a particular entity we are seeing a HUGE number of activities adding up. It would be nice in the future if all internal e-mails regarding the entity would be summed up into one activity. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I ...

Exchange 2003 Server Configuration
I am buying a new HP server: Dual 3.0Ghz Xeon, 2GB RAM, and I am looking for some opinion on my RAID setup. I have two (6) drive SCSI bays. One will remain empty for future growth and one will have (6) drives. This server has a built in (2) channel Ultra 3 SCSI and I plan on having (2) 36 GB drives as a Raid 1 for my OS and Exchange program on channel 1 and the other (4) drives will be 72GB and configured as RAID 0+1 on the second channel. To me this seems like the most logical and efficient method for maximum I/O on my box. What are others doing in this scenario? What would be a better rout...

Micrsoft Money 2003 "This program is not responding"
HELP!!! I have some sort of hang up on my MS Money program. I have just spent hour inputing iformation into my Mirsoft Money and all of a sudden in got hung up. The hourglass is present whenever I try to attempt any sort of function. When I try to close the program to save all of my information, a small screen comes up and says, "This program is not responding. If you choose to end the progam immediately you will lose any unsaved data." Does anyone know how to save my data without ending the program, or is there a way to get my program to respond again? The CPU usage ...

Activity views 09-26-05
Folks When viewing the activities on an account or quote, there appears to be no obvious way to include the date of the activity in the view so it is difficult to determine when the activity was done - resulting in us having to open each and every activity to find the relevant one - and this is time consuming. Any ideas? Regards Gavin The current release of Microsoft CRM does not allow you to customize the activity views at least in a supported fashion. If you scan the archives of this group at groups.google.com for activity view you will find some unsupported methods. Microsoft CR...

Notified Office is Not Activated, but it is Activated
When my boss opens any of his Office 2007 products it notifies him that his copy of office is not activated. It has been activated and when I check it through Options it shows that it is activated, but the dialogue pops up each time the programs are opened. I have used the FixIt from KB 919895 to delete the Opa12.dat file which fixed a communications error in activatation, but the product still doesn't think it is properly activated when it is. ...

Outlook 2003 link problem
When I click on a link in my inbox, I receive the following error: "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on the computer. Please contact your system administrator." I have checked my security settings in IE and locally, but cannot find anything that would restrict access. Also, I tried using the fix suggestions for this problem related to outlook 2002, KB article 310049. Any suggestions would be welcome. ...

Using a two-dimensional array in Excel 2002 or 2003
I am trying to improve my coding skills in Excel VBA and I just can't seem to find a good, very basic, example of how to use a 2-dimensional array. I've looked in several reference books & browsed VBA Forums but can't find an example I can understand. What I was trying to do was define a 3 x 4 Array that has a data type of Single. My sample data is located in Cells E1:H3. E F G H 1 3.4 8.1 11.6 100.3 2 5.2 7.3 45.2 632.4 3 1.7 9.6 39.7 161.5 I've been trying to use the LBound and UBound functions too, thinkin...

Set Default View to Active Accounts
How do I set the default view to be Active Accounts for all users? I thought I had set it by going to Settings>Customizations>Customize Entities>Account>Forms&Views>Active Accounts>More Actions>Set Default. I logged out and logged back in and the default view was still set to My Active Accounts. Please Help. -- TC I hope you published the entity after making the change. Try an iisreset... Sam _______________ Inogic Innovative Logic Innovative solutions for your SME ERP/CRM products E-mail: crm@inogic.com Web: www.inogic.com -------------------------- &qu...

Strange problem with Dlookup on Network share Windows 7
Hi all, I have a problem running a simple dlookup in my first form on my access97 application. The app is a client app with linked table on H: which is a network share map with "riconnect on logon". The client is running XP Pro sp3. The file server is running Windows 7 Professional (32bit or 64bit same error). When I switch on my client PC I can get H: unit in My Computer without red cross on it. If I enter in my Access97 application i get Error in Dlookup field and VBA Error 3044 using my code. If i get back to My Computer and double-click on H: unit I can ac...

Legacy Sendmail appliance rejected by Exchange 2003
We have a Cobalt Qube 2 email appliance and are having trouble sending messages with attachments to a vendor who just upgraded to Exchange 2003. I was told it's because our Qube uses a legacy version of sendmail. Is there any way to configure the highly-secure Exchange server to accept these messages? Thanks. Do you get any NDRs for emails with attachments? -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Bruno71" <Bruno71@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:30E9667C-B403-4891-98F6-B28A...

SBS 2003
Hi All I have recently started working on a server that someone else has set up - and they opted to use SBS 2003, when all they needed was Server 2003 standard edition, because they do not use any of the SBS features. I would love to just format the server and re-install, but that is just not a viable option at this stage. So, what I would like to do is stop or even better remove Exchange, as Exchange is certainly not beig used, and is eating resources for nothing. Does anyone have tips on the best way to do this? I have seen some say that removing Exchange is the last thin...