A few very tough questions..

I recently took over an SBS 2008 installation from a group that had no
business installing it in the first place. There were a ton of event viewer
errors, Exchange, SBS Console, you name it, they screwed it up. There are 25
users and they never installed antivirus on either the Exchange mailboxes or
the client computers. Enough of that.. Here are the few remaining issues.

1. They never ran a best practices tool. When I did Exchange showed a "first
administrator group" of an old Exchange 2003 SBS install on another computer
that crashed. I don't know how or why it's there but the server doesn't
exist and there is no Exchange 2003 anywhere. How do I get rid of that
group? There are no E2003 server tools or anything I can see.

2. The SBS console crashes whenever I attempt to run a report. It goes for
about 5 minutes and then the console crashes. Is there a way to delete the
old reports (well over 2 GB database) and start all over?

3. They never used WUS, configured it, or looked at it. When I click on
computers, there are none, nowhere! What did they do? (or didn't do) What
should I do?

This is a preliminary list. I'm wondering if I should just reinstall the
entire OS, copy the Exchange pst files and data to an external drive and
reformat. I'm close.

TIA

Bobby

0
bobby

Hi:

With 25 users, this is a canidate for a swing migration to new or same hardware.
 You would want to invest in a very good backup, or a some new hard drives
so you could go back if the swing failed (almost never happens), but you
would not have to touch the domain, the workstations, the server name or
have any significant down time.

A swing moves the AD, the Exchange store, and the data files, preserving
the AD, the domain, the server name, and the shares and permissions.  Almost
automagicly.

Send a message, or call and ask for their opinion.  May save you a lot of
hassle and the client a lot if time and or $.

www.sbs-migration.com

-
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
issue so others may benefit
-
Get Your SBS Health Check at
www.sbsbpa.com

> I recently took over an SBS 2008 installation from a group that had no
> business installing it in the first place. There were a ton of event
> viewer errors, Exchange, SBS Console, you name it, they screwed it up.
> There are 25 users and they never installed antivirus on either the
> Exchange mailboxes or the client computers. Enough of that.. Here are
> the few remaining issues.
>
> 1. They never ran a best practices tool. When I did Exchange showed a
> "first administrator group" of an old Exchange 2003 SBS install on
> another computer that crashed. I don't know how or why it's there but
> the server doesn't exist and there is no Exchange 2003 anywhere. How
> do I get rid of that group? There are no E2003 server tools or
> anything I can see.
>
> 2. The SBS console crashes whenever I attempt to run a report. It goes
> for about 5 minutes and then the console crashes. Is there a way to
> delete the old reports (well over 2 GB database) and start all over?
>
> 3. They never used WUS, configured it, or looked at it. When I click
> on computers, there are none, nowhere! What did they do? (or didn't
> do) What should I do?
>
> This is a preliminary list. I'm wondering if I should just reinstall
> the entire OS, copy the Exchange pst files and data to an external
> drive and reformat. I'm close.
>
> TIA
>
> Bobby

0
Larry
12/6/2009 11:30:18 PM
In article <F723EC83-1AF9-49E3-B483-91E31B520FC1@microsoft.com>,
bjanow@msn.com says...

> I recently took over an SBS 2008 installation from a group that had no
> business installing it in the first place. There were a ton of event viewer
> errors, Exchange, SBS Console, you name it, they screwed it up. There are 25
> users and they never installed antivirus on either the Exchange mailboxes or
> the client computers. Enough of that.. Here are the few remaining issues.
>
> 1. They never ran a best practices tool. When I did Exchange showed a "first
> administrator group" of an old Exchange 2003 SBS install on another computer
> that crashed. I don't know how or why it's there but the server doesn't
> exist and there is no Exchange 2003 anywhere. How do I get rid of that
> group? There are no E2003 server tools or anything I can see.
>
> 2. The SBS console crashes whenever I attempt to run a report. It goes for
> about 5 minutes and then the console crashes. Is there a way to delete the
> old reports (well over 2 GB database) and start all over?
>
> 3. They never used WUS, configured it, or looked at it. When I click on
> computers, there are none, nowhere! What did they do? (or didn't do) What
> should I do?
>
> This is a preliminary list. I'm wondering if I should just reinstall the
> entire OS, copy the Exchange pst files and data to an external drive and
> reformat. I'm close.

I took over a SBS 03 installation that was about the same, totally
installed improperly, no wizards had been used, manual edits of DNS,
DHCP, even the GP's had been screwed up, it was also a .net internal
domain name...

They had 8 users - I setup a new Dell server off-site, SBS 08, created
all the accounts, settings, etc... called it company.local, and tested
with a spare workstation...

Once I had the new server onsite I disabled DHCP, then used a ROBOCOPY
to move the data from the single, unprotected, no security, share where
they kept everything across to the new server.

While they had SBS 03, all profiles were local, not even the My
Documents was on the server....

I spent 8 hours onsite today, got everything working, email, printers,
updates to all the workstations, the only broken thing is that their
public DNS name doesn't match - they used BD.COMPANY.NET instead of
REMOTE.COMPANY.NET and they can't remember the account/login for network
solutions (at this time) - so they can't connect remotely because the
server cert says it's invalid.

One good thing - all functions are a lot faster on the 08 server with
proper internal DNS/DHCP/AD.

Trust yourself.
Leythos
12/6/2009 11:34:41 PM
I probably wouldn't want to do that. If I reformatted then I would change
the domain name, server IP and some other things. I like to have a .local
domain and not an FQDN on the server. I just bought a terabyte drive for
backup in case. I have not problem taking them down for a day or two over
the weekend, but is there any decent way to recover these last few things.?

"Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]" <lstruckmeyer@mis-wizards.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> With 25 users, this is a canidate for a swing migration to new or same
> hardware. You would want to invest in a very good backup, or a some new
> hard drives so you could go back if the swing failed (almost never
> happens), but you would not have to touch the domain, the workstations,
> the server name or have any significant down time.
>
> A swing moves the AD, the Exchange store, and the data files, preserving
> the AD, the domain, the server name, and the shares and permissions.
> Almost automagicly.
>
> Send a message, or call and ask for their opinion.  May save you a lot of
> hassle and the client a lot if time and or $.
>
> www.sbs-migration.com
>
> -
> Larry
> Please post the resolution to your
> issue so others may benefit
> -
> Get Your SBS Health Check at
> www.sbsbpa.com
>

>> I recently took over an SBS 2008 installation from a group that had no
>> business installing it in the first place. There were a ton of event
>> viewer errors, Exchange, SBS Console, you name it, they screwed it up.
>> There are 25 users and they never installed antivirus on either the
>> Exchange mailboxes or the client computers. Enough of that.. Here are
>> the few remaining issues.
>>
>> 1. They never ran a best practices tool. When I did Exchange showed a
>> "first administrator group" of an old Exchange 2003 SBS install on
>> another computer that crashed. I don't know how or why it's there but
>> the server doesn't exist and there is no Exchange 2003 anywhere. How
>> do I get rid of that group? There are no E2003 server tools or
>> anything I can see.
>>
>> 2. The SBS console crashes whenever I attempt to run a report. It goes
>> for about 5 minutes and then the console crashes. Is there a way to
>> delete the old reports (well over 2 GB database) and start all over?
>>
>> 3. They never used WUS, configured it, or looked at it. When I click
>> on computers, there are none, nowhere! What did they do? (or didn't
>> do) What should I do?
>>
>> This is a preliminary list. I'm wondering if I should just reinstall
>> the entire OS, copy the Exchange pst files and data to an external
>> drive and reformat. I'm close.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Bobby

0
bobby

a question about uml
Hello All,I have a question about UML Design. I have a System,it include module-A module-B and module-C. The A,B,C use socket to contact. I want to design module-B(the A had finished),also want to design modele-C's socket to B. How to design modele-B,is Modele-A is the "Actor" or "object" in User case and sequence. who can give me some advice or some docs.thanks. "lxg" <lixngang@163.com> wrote in message news:uHgHBWgvDHA.3224@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hello All,I have a question about UML Design. > I have a System,it include module-A module-B a...

SQL question
hello gurus I have a Cross Tab query that works fine. The SQL for this query ends with... PIVOT tblData.Region I've noticed that the column headings in my query result always show the Regions in alpha order (eg: East, MidWest, North1, North2, SouthEast). I've also noticed that I can 'force' the column order by using something like... PIVOT tblData.Region IN(North1, North2, MidWest, SouthEast, East) But, this later method presupposes that I know all of the Regions in advance. If a new Region is added, it won't be in the 'IN' function. ...

Question on CreateProcess / WinExec...
I'm using a call to WinExec, but in trying to get my code to compile under unicode, this call is not supported. I'm looking at CreateProcess and it looks like it requires you to close some handles or you'll leak. But WinExec works in an async way, how can I make CreateProcess work in an async way and not leak those handles? No problem. Just do a CloseHandle(proc.hProcess); after your call to CreateProcess( ... ). Your launched program keeps running. -- --------------------------------------------------------------------- DataGet´┐Ż & PocketLog´┐Ż www.dataget.com Data Co...

Setup Question
I'm new to CRM so any help is welcomed. I installed CRM 3.0 on my Small Business Server. The installation appeared to go OK. I can run CRM through my web browser on the server and on my local PC. On my remote PC (XP Pro) I installed the full client. When I open Outlook on this PC CRM complains that it can't find the CRM server. I checked the registry and the Http:// address is correct (http//:sbs.thclegg.com). I added the :5555 to this and still nothing. The next two problems I have are: 1) When I try to open any thing that uses the calendar function in the browser, I get...

array question
I have a simple formula = {if(dummy=False,0,dummy_range)}. This formula is copied in cell A2:C4. Dummy_range = f2:H4. F2:H4 has numeric data from external workbook. I can't get the formula to work. When I copy the formula in Cells A2:c4 all I get is "1". ?? Example data F G H 1 3 5 3 2 2 4 1 1 >= {if(dummy=False,0,dummy_range)} Is there a difference between "dummy" and "dummy_range"? This (array) formula works just fine: =IF(dummy_range=FALSE,0,dummy_range) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Mo...

Tough One, trying to count occurences of string based on string in separate column
Hi, For every occurrence of a string in Column A, say "question2", I'd like to count the number of times the string "satisfied" appears in Column B for the same row. The answer would be 1 for the following data. i.e. "satisfied" occurs "1" time for all of "question2's. I would like to be able to add data and sort it and the formula still work. I would locate the data on a separate worksheet from the output of the formula. question1 not-satisfied question2 satisifed question1 not-satisfied question2 not-satisfied question1 ...

DSum Question
I have a continuous form with an unbound text box that has a DSum function as it's control source. It is used to display the sum of a field in a query. It works fine except that the last line of my form (the one for a new record) displays #Error in this text box. My DSum function is; = DSum("SumOfFootprint", "qryBoxTotals", "BinID = " & [BinID]) I've tried assigning it to the text box control source through code; Me.txtFootPrintSum.ControlSource = DSum("SumOfFootprint", "Query1", "BinID = " & Me![BinID]) but th...

Migration Wizard question: Emergency
We're in the middle of trying to use the Exchange Migration Wizard to migrate from one Exchange server to another in separate Exchange orgs, domains, etc. It is working like it should but is very slow to say the least. Question: Is there a way to load the migration wizard on a few different boxes so we can have multiple threads going at once? I.E. Can we load it up on some XP workstations and let a few different ppl go to work with it, or must you run it from an Exchange Server? Thanks! Probably, but an easier/quicker solution may be to temporarily set up Terminal Services in A...

looping question
I've used a few looping type macros until now with no problems. However, I'm completely stumped when i need to get excel to count things for me>>> I have 5 row of data in each column (for example). I want to get all the data to be in column A each set below the next. so I need to refer to B1:B5 and move it to A6:A10. Then repeat to move C1:C5 to A11:A15 etc..etc... I need to move all 5 rows in each case regardless of content (number letter, blank etc..) I just come up against a brick wall when it comes to all this i=i+1 stuff, refering to ranges and telling excel to move ...

I cannot see me questions!!!
I posted two questions onto the system: Query of excluded items CrossTab Query but I cannot see them or find them with a search!!! The system sent me an e-mail saying that they have been responded to, but if I cannot see them it is not of much use. Do I have a setting wrong? Please feel free to contact me directly pmw0813@yahoo.com Thanks Send to you to your supplied email. Vanderghast, Access MVP "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF3A5ED4-122E-4AFF-BE51-242AAF4DB5CA@microsoft.com... >I posted two questions onto the system: > >...

Multiple Fields Query Question
Hi - I need to query multiple fields to find out how many times a specific horse was used for the purpose of a group or private lesson. My query is showing me "all" billing reasons as opposed to only the "lesson" ones. I've pasted the SQL below...is anyone able to help me with this? I just want to see the horses that were used for lessons only. I created this in Design View as I'm only familiar with creating queries that way, so if you could please be specific with any answers, I'd really appreciate it, since I do not know SQL. Thank...

A question of normalization
I've been developing an application for 2 years now that one may refer to as an inventory management database. I use the application on a daily basis to help run my business and it works nicely. I've recently begun to redesign the application and have decided that I come to a crossroads that is well beyond my expertise. I have 3 key tables: 1. tblItems: list of raw materials and other relevant information (12 fields in total) 2. tblSubAssemblies: list of sub assembly items and relevant info (9 fields in total) 3. tblFinishedProducts: list of finished products for resale and relevant i...

Answer to book questions
Hi, everything is a lot less than we actually make it. We are just filling in voids with senseless needs for answers. ...

Re: activation question
Hi Tian, Thanks for the reply, but nothing new in that information. I'm trying to make a custom control that has a drop down window. If I make this window a child of a dialog bar, it's clipped to the dialog bar. If I make it a child of the frame, I can draw on it, but I can't get focus and I can't force it to the top of the z order to get focus even if I call SetWindowPos with insert after the dialog bar or using the constant for top. Specifically how can I make a window that will not be clipped by the dialog bar it's placed in, and will recieve focus? Hi kermit,...

Port questions
Hi All, Just a few questions, wondering if anyone could answer them. 1. Can Exchange server traffic to limited to specific range of port? 2. Is there a recommended range of ports by Microsoft to lock Exchange into? 3. If #2 is no, then how many ports are needed by Exchange (1, 10, 50?). Pick a high range ports say from (62,520+) to lock Exchange into. On Thu, 6 May 2010 11:56:08 -0700, IDK215 <IDK215@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi All, > >Just a few questions, wondering if anyone could answer them. > >1. Can Exchange se...

thread question #4
How can I determine in a block of code if the thread it's running in is the same as the main GUI thread? I was trying to use GetCurrentThread to get the thread the function is being called from. Not sure how compare that to GUI thread. On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 13:58:35 -0600, "Eric Margheim" <NOSPAM***eric@prism-grp.com***NOSPAM> wrote: >How can I determine in a block of code if the thread it's running in is the >same as the main GUI thread? > >I was trying to use GetCurrentThread to get the thread the function is being >called from. Not sure how...

Formula Question
I need to do some type of lookup and sum in vba I'd like to use Total Sheet.B5 to return the value Total Sheet.B5 to = 55 if Total Sheet.A5 = Orange Total Sheet A5 = Orange B5 = 55 Sheet 1 A4 = Blue b4 = 5 A5 = Green b5 = 10 A6 = Orange b6 = 15 Sheet 2 A4 = Orange b4 = 10 A5 = Green b5 = 20 A6 = Blue b6 = 30 Sheet 4 A4 = Green b4 = 20 A5 = Orange b5 = 30 A6 = Blue b6 = 40 Thank you for any help Hummm, I can't really tell what you're doing, but look here: http://www.xldynamic.co...

Stupid Question
Hey, This may sound stupid, but, how do you email a knowledge base article to a customer and record it in activities? --> Codeman --< There is no built-in way to do this. You need to copy and paste the KB article into a CRM E-mail. BTW, you can only copy KB article text when you view the article from Workplace in CRM. (If you view the KB article from the Service module's KB Manager, copy functionality is disabled for some reason.) -- Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Codeman" wrote: > Hey, > This may sound stupid, but, how do you email a knowledge...

if/then question
Here's what I hope is a pretty basic question. I have 5 rows of inventory data. They are the following: A1: Product Name A2: Product Cost A3: Maximum Qty. Desired on Hand A4: Minimum Qty. Desired on Hand A5: Quantity on Hand Basically, it looks like this: Widget X | 25 | 10 | 4 | 5 I'd like to figure out how to write a formula for cell A6 that would tell me the following: If A5 is greater or equal to A4, then I'd like A6 = 0. If A5 is less than A4, then I'd like A6 = (A3-A5) * A2. Is this possible? Many thanks, Brendan Brendan this should work =IF(A5>...

Linking Question
We have a excel file (it's our Budget) it is uploaded in a folder on the company share drive (server). Each department needs to be able to make changes to their section of the budget(each department has their own sheet in the workbook). My question is can they have their sheet on their PC, make changes and hit an upload button that makes the change on the budget that is on our server. I don't want people to just copy the workbook to their PC and make the changes and then upload their refresh copy to the server, b/c somebody at the same time could be doing the same thing and their w...

Outline question
I have an outline document in excel that was created in access. Do you know if there is a way to change the + signs to the corresponding data in a column. It would make it much easier to know which + to click on to see information. Hi AFAIK this is not possible -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Stephanie wrote: > I have an outline document in excel that was created in > access. Do you know if there is a way to change the + > signs to the corresponding data in a column. It would make > it much easier to know which + to click on to see > information. ...

Sending a email with 2003 outlook question
Hi... What setting do i need to correct for my problem that i am having ??? When i write a email and then click to send it will close my outlook after sending , what setting do i have to change to have my outlook to stay open after sending a emails ??? Thanks ...

OT: PE file format question
I know this is off topic but I hope someone can at least send me somewhere I can get this question answered. I am mucking with an executible file. I have change the .rsrc section and I am fixing up all the RVAs in the sections that follow and in the headers. There is still some problem however. The document that I have that talks about the PE file format says there are RVAs in the .reloc section. I don't see any. It looks like the offsets are relative the the beginning of the code. So I'm somewhat confused. I'm guessing there are still some RVAs somewhere that need to be ad...

Install question
I'm installing Dynamics GP 10 for the first time. It installs perfectly but when I try and launch it, it starts the utility screen and I can't login. During the install it asked for the SQL Server database name, which I provided, but the utility only lists Dynamics GP as the database and sa as the login option. None of my known logins for the default SQL Server 2005 instance are working. Any ideas? for the utilities, you MUST use the sa user, as an initial installation, there are no DYNSA users etc.... So: 1. Make sure your ODBC is setup properly 2. Make sure you know your sa pa...

Question about Queue
We hope to use a queue in CRM to manage "tickets", which actually are created from another web application.I suppose it can be done through CRM SDK web services. Has anybody done similar thing? We also want the ticket information shown up on the records in the queue. Does it mean that we have to customize one type of the activities, as a queue only accepts activity and case? (We don't use Exchange and so we don't have email router.) I would use Case for this. That is exactly what they are designed for - service requests/tickets. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ...