>NET 3.5 on SBS 2003R2

I have a client who needs to install .NET 3.5 on an SBS 2003 R2 server
because of a server application that requires it. I have run into a few
problems in the past updating .NET on SBS boxes, and since then, I have
always avoided it. Are there any issues with the updating to .NET 3.5 in my
environment? From what I've read, I will need to set up a separate
application pool for .NET 3.5. Any other caveats or pitfalls? Thanks.

Depends on who you ask.  <g> I have had no issues except for occasionaly
(once per server) having to reset the shipping apps that rely on IIS to .net
1.x

Others have had some serious issues, and from what I see it is not a fun fix.

If the company needs it it seems you can either do it, or provide another
server for this app.  If you install it, make some images, make some backups,
and verify you can restore from them *before* installing the updates.

-
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
issue so others may benefit
-
Get Your SBS Health Check at
www.sbsbpa.com

> I have a client who needs to install .NET 3.5 on an SBS 2003 R2 server
> because of a server application that requires it. I have run into a
> few problems in the past updating .NET on SBS boxes, and since then, I
> have always avoided it. Are there any issues with the updating to .NET
> 3.5 in my environment? From what I've read, I will need to set up a
> separate application pool for .NET 3.5. Any other caveats or pitfalls?
> Thanks.

0
Larry
1/8/2010 12:08:03 AM
You might also be able to test by using Disk2VHD to create a VHD of the
client's server, run the VHD in Virtual PC or Hyper-V on a separate machine,
do the upgrade to .Net 3.5 and see what happens.

Disk2vhd 1.4
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx

--
Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
============================

"Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]" <lstruckmeyer@mis-wizards.com> wrote in message
> Depends on who you ask.  <g> I have had no issues except for occasionaly
> (once per server) having to reset the shipping apps that rely on IIS to
> .net 1.x
>
> Others have had some serious issues, and from what I see it is not a fun
> fix.
>
> If the company needs it it seems you can either do it, or provide another
> server for this app.  If you install it, make some images, make some
> backups, and verify you can restore from them *before* installing the
> updates.
>
> -
> Larry
> Please post the resolution to your
> issue so others may benefit
> -
> Get Your SBS Health Check at
> www.sbsbpa.com
>

>> I have a client who needs to install .NET 3.5 on an SBS 2003 R2 server
>> because of a server application that requires it. I have run into a
>> few problems in the past updating .NET on SBS boxes, and since then, I
>> have always avoided it. Are there any issues with the updating to .NET
>> 3.5 in my environment? From what I've read, I will need to set up a
>> separate application pool for .NET 3.5. Any other caveats or pitfalls?
>> Thanks.

0
Merv
1/8/2010 12:42:09 AM
"Joe Welna" <JoeWelna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a client who needs to install .NET 3.5 on an SBS 2003 R2 server
> because of a server application that requires it. I have run into a few
> problems in the past updating .NET on SBS boxes, and since then, I have
> always avoided it. Are there any issues with the updating to .NET 3.5 in
> my
> environment? From what I've read, I will need to set up a separate
> application pool for .NET 3.5. Any other caveats or pitfalls? Thanks.

Personally I've not experienced any problems, but I do recall others having
reported issues.

Re application pool, really each application (whether .net 3.5 or not)
should have its own application pool. So I'd suggest leaving your pools as
is (if it works then don't fix it) but going forward creat a separate pool
for each new .net application.
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian

0
Brian

C#.net click event associated with database error
I would like to know what to do to solve the problem listed below: When I am debugging a C#.Net 2008 windows application and click on the 'next' button, I am getting the following error: 'An unexpected error has occurred. The 'Microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0'provider is not registered on the local machine'. I think that I may need to change some setting I have in the visual studio.net 2008 professional edition to solve this problem prior to clicking on the 'next' button. I am working on an workstation that is 64 bits, XP operating syste...

net passport
I changd my net passport and now when I enter it in money it tells me it is incorrect. ...

CRM 3.0 Integration with multiple Dynamics GP 9.0 Databases
Hi all Is it possible to integrate 1 CRM database with multiple GP databases? Kindly advise me is such an integrating solution is available. Expecting speedy responses. Regard Sivakumar V I do not beleive that the MSFT supplied connector does this. However, I know Scribe's (www.scribesoft.com) has a product that can. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Kumar" <veeyeskay@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1150790637.787767.78230@h76g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... Hi all Is it possible to integrate 1 CRM database with multiple GP databases? Kindly advise me is such an...

import data from works 3.0 on windows 3.1
I am trying to save some files for a woman who's husband just died and left all his business inventory in an old format. The files where created in an old DOS database program called PowerBase. I can export the files as several different formats and open them in Windows 3.1 (on the same machine). I then export them to TAB delimited txt files. The problem is when I transfer them to a "new" machine (windows XPPro) I can't open them in excel. I believe the problem is with the txt encoding type used by Works 3.0 in windows 3.1. If I open them in notepad on the XPPro machi...

Superoffice to MS CRM 3.0
Hello, I am getting to close to get one project and customer is using now superoffice and he wants to shift and use MS CRM. I need any tips for helping us to transfer data from Superoffice to CRM? and what kind of information, changes we need to consider during converting data? Is there any documents or helpful article? Regards, -- Maikal Hello Maikal, You can use Scribe for this kind of migrations... Jeroen ...

Exch 5.5 Event Id: 3079, 3087, 3089
Receiving Replication Errors above when replicating my Exchange 5.5 sp4 on NT 4.0 sp6A with another Exch server (site) in org running Exch 2000 which is using AD connector. Errors point to replication message not being processed with replication thread error 0X80040107. All three events occur multiple times during each day. Need help with this old technology. Thanks. This information is taken from the following whitepaper: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e68321bd-9304-4a4f-8726-8245b556adbc&displaylang=en This has implications for folder replication via...

net
Dear All , Can you please help in this i'm creating excel sheet for finance purpose and i need the number appear with color for example if the net = +ve (i need it to appear with green color ) and if it is = - neg (i need to appear with red color ) any one can help me with the color thansk for your cooperations -- bn_dubai ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bn_dubai's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29568 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=492656 You can use Con...

Outlook Toolbars #3
I have Outlook 2003 with XP Pro and SP2. In Outlook whenever I re-arrange the 4 toolbars I have to be on 2 rows, then close down later and re-open, Outlook keeps auto configuring the 4 toolbars to be on 4 rows. I cannot find and option to control this? Any clues? Thanks, Symon Are they Outlook toolbars or are some of them toolbars installed by 3rd party programs? 3rd party toolbars often are programmed to be placed in a certain spot and if you change the location, they go back where they were before. If they're all Outlook toolbars, you may have a corrupt outcmd.dat file -- y...

MFC and .NET
We have a MFC application we are moving to VC 7.0 because we want to use the latest C++ compiler that comes with it. For moving to VC 7.0 we need to install the .NET framework though. My questions are, 1. Has anybody moved thier MFC application to .NET framework? Did you run into any issues? 2. What is the plan for MFC? Is there any end of life for this from Microsoft? Thanks, David I use all of my VC6 MFC apps and DLLs just fine with XP and VS.Net 2003. No need to port your code to .Net at all. WTH "David Mohandas" <david_mohandas@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ac...

addition with a maximum value #3
djarcadian Wrote: > I have the following code > > =SUM(D10+E10) > > but I don't want the results to display anything over 20. > > How do I accomplish this? Okay, sorry but something else needs to be thrown into the loop. If A+B equal more than 20 then only display 20 unless C has a value i which case the sum can equal more than 20. For example. Code ------------------- A B C 13 22 0 = 20 13 22 5 = 25 ------------------- -- djarcadia ----------------------------------------------------------------------- djarcadian's Profile: ht...

VB.net
Hi, I am trying to update a field in a record of a Access Database (whose structure I can not modify). I got this error (translated from italian): "Data types do not match in the expression" = "Tipi di dati non corrispondenti nell'espressione criterio." The code is the following: (myField is a binary field as on Access 2007) 'determine new value Dim newValue() As Byte = ... (valid data) 'write new attributes Dim conn As OleDbConnection = myObj.getConnection Dim cmd As OleDbComman...

selecting cells #5
i am wondering if it is possible to select certain cells in different sheets in the same workbook by using a single check box? i.e. sheet 1 cells a1:g1. Then sheet 2 cells a2, g2 and f2. by clicking a check box on sheet 2. I can only recomend you macros since I don't know hou to use checkboxes Sub Select_Range_Sheet1() Sheets("Sheet1").Select Range("R2:BL52,O2:Q2,M28,F28").Select End Sub You can do one for each sheet and use buttons instead check boxes. I hope it has been usefull. Saludos NlC -- NlC -----------------------------------------------------------...

Authentication between asp.net 2.0 and asp.net 1.1
I am running CRM 3.0 which is running in its own app pool for asp.net 1.1. I've added a virtual directory under the CRM website which runs under a different app pool for asp.net 2.0. This is where I put my custom web pages. Both app pools are running under the NETWORK SERVICE account. Both the CRM website and the virtual directory has windows authentication. My question is why I am prompted to enter my credential when I access the custom page through CRM the first time I access the page? Have I not already been authenticated? Hmm not sure whether this can help. Are you sure you put...

ADO #3
hi can any one gimme a simple exaple of connecting to a Access DB using MFC and doing record manipulation??? tks a lot God Bless http://www.codeguru.com ...

Exchange 5.5 Should I defrag it?
Hi We have SBS 4.5 server running Exchange 5.5 (18 users) it has run since it was upgraded from 4.0 to 4.5 (about 3 years!) SBS without issue. My question is should I / do I need to, defrag the database or perform some other reclaim on it? Or does this all happen automatically? If so how do I do it and how long approx does it take. Thanks Adrian, Yes I would recommend that you do a off-line Defrag. This is the only way to reclaim and deleted space you have in your database. Here are the instructions: 192185 XADM: How to Defragment with the Eseutil Utility (Eseutil.exe) http:/...

Importing CSV files #3
Normally when you click on a csv file excel opens it witout problem. However I have one user who when they click on the csv file finds that it open in an unformatted state. In order to open the file properly she has to go through the import process and place a tick in the comma section. When this is done all the data is formatted correctly. I am able to open this file without problem on my machine. In order to try and fix this I uninstalled and reinstalled office. I also tried doing it under another profile on the same machine to see if it was a profile problem. It also failed. ...

Help me please! #3
I use the function named EndDialog(IDABORT) to close the dialog on Windows2000(Server+sp3). It is successful. But, it occurs exception on Windows2003(Clean). I don't know why occurs exception and how to resolve the question. Help me please! Give me more help please! Thanks! ...

SQL connection management in ASP.Net
hi, I have to create a small website in ASP.Net 2.0. I have question about working with SQL connections. What are the best practises? How and where to create and store a connection? I see a few possibilities: - create, open/close a connection on each web page - create a connection on login page and store it on Session - how to create a connection? ie. SqlConnection = new SqlConnection or System.Data.Common.DbProviderFactory factory = System.Data.Common.DbProviderFactories.GetFactory("System.Data.SqlClient"); System.Data.Common.DbConnection conn = factory.Crea...

ecm2001 v5.3 winols shoemaster wilcom bentley amiable xshowsoft 358456002280546
We can crack or emulate any protection type: Dongle, Hardlock, Hasp, Serial, Password, Hasp4, Flexlm, Sentinel, Wibu, Eutron Smartkey, Hasphl, Proteq, All the Protections!! email = xshowsoft@gmail.com email = xshowsoft at gmail.com If you have some protected program, and want to crack it, we can help you! Ecm2001 v5.3 professional, all checksums enabled download Kess v4 all family enabled download WinOls 1.38 download crack wilcom 2006 full HMI/SCADA System Zenon Software for Industrial Automation emulator SHOEMASTER v3.04 all modules download Victor EAT Designscope 2.05 all modules...

FREE .NET EBOOKS , DOTNET TUTORIALS, CODE SNIPPETS
Visit this site u will find good .Net ebooks, .Net source code, .net tutorials and lots more for vb.net, c#.net, asp.net and other dotnet stuff. URL: www.DotNetGuide.net I don't like the site because 1) There are 3 sets of adverts on each page 2) The page is fixed with, which is very annoying. I am reading on a wide-screen laptop but find I am limited to approximately 60 characters per line, I can't read articles like that! Pete ...

xml DTD visual stdio .net 2k3 autocomplete
Hello, I'm using visual studio .net 2k3 to work with Xml intensive integration App. When I using XML /XSD based documents I get autocomplete feature but not when I use Xml /Dtd based. Somebody know How work around Thansk Alejandro P. ? <alejandropacheco@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:esj0OEWYEHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I'm using visual studio .net 2k3 to work with Xml intensive integration > App. When I using XML /XSD based documents I get autocomplete feature but > not when I use Xml /Dtd based. Somebody know How work around > >...

migrating mailboxes (Exch 5.5) to a new location
hi all i am currently setting up a new location. our network still consists of NT4 and exchange 5.5 with this in mind, i need to take about 130 users from one location and move them to a new location (new BDC, new exchagne server). our network does not conist of subdomains if there is an easy way of doing this without having to save those exchange boxes to *.pst to do a mass move i would gladly like to kno if there are more questions, i will gladly (try) to answer the thanks al Chuck chuck wrote: > hi all, > > i am currently setting up a new location. our network still consis...

Trendlines #3
I am using Access-to-Excel automation to bring in 2 Columns of data...Week Ending Dates, & a Value. These are the Source Data for a Vertical-Bar Chart. I have a 3rd column that uses this formula... =IF(LEN(A8)=0,"",VLOOKUP(A8,TheLook,2)) to get Values for a Trendline...in "Column C". I am NOT strong in Excel Charts at all, as I do mostly Access Programming. How can I take this "3rd-column" and assign that to a Trendline? TIA - Bob Bob - Excel can calculate a trendline from a charted series, but I sense this isn't the trendline you mean. To add t...

combine cells #3
Hello, say you have Mindy in A1, Thomas in B1, how can you combine those in C1 with a space between the names? Mindy, here is one way, =A1& " " & B1 -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Mindy" <Mindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:366327F8-7573-42A3-BF1A-9AEBE0275839@microsoft.com... > Hello, say you have Mindy in A1, Thomas in B1, how can you combine those > i...

Access #3
Does anyone know if Microsoft Access is Mac compatible? I have an old version of Office and assumed it was included, but checked tonight and found out it is not. Where can I get a Mac version? Thanks <mmbellitto@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1142889789.719435.129780@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Does anyone know if Microsoft Access is Mac compatible? I have an old > version of Office and assumed it was included, but checked tonight and > found out it is not. Where can I get a Mac version? Thanks > There isn't a Mac version and never has been one. Sorr...