Windows 2008 NLB

Hello,

I'm just setting up my first NLB in 2008 std.  In your experience is it best
to setup an NLB in multicast or unicast and is it best if both servers are
in their own VLAN?

Thanks

0
Whiteford

Hi Whiteford,

did you check if NLB over different subnets is supported even configurable ?
Why do you need that ? Haven't seen yet an implementation where NLB nodes
was on different IP networks.

If supported the answer will depend on what you want to run on your NLB
cluster. This requirements will normally be defined from the application
side.
I personally would start here with unicast cause multicast can blow up your
network segment/VLAN.

Regards
Ramazan

"Whiteford" <no@no.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm just setting up my first NLB in 2008 std.  In your experience is it
> best to setup an NLB in multicast or unicast and is it best if both
> servers are in their own VLAN?
>
> Thanks

0
RCan
3/1/2010 10:29:17 PM
My explanation was probably incorrect.  We currently have a NLB for our
Exchange CAS 2007 environment both server are on an NLB (multicast) and in
their own VLAN, works well, this was all setup by another company.

Now I am putting in a file server with to front end servers and I will need
to set up NLB for them for redundancy.  Both PC's will be in the same VLAN,
but I'm not sure if they should be in the same VLAN, so a new VLAN with both
serves only  OR put them in the current server VLAN using multicast or
unicast?

"RCan" <noospam@arcor.de> wrote in message
> Hi Whiteford,
>
> did you check if NLB over different subnets is supported even configurable
> ? Why do you need that ? Haven't seen yet an implementation where NLB
> nodes was on different IP networks.
>
> If supported the answer will depend on what you want to run on your NLB
> cluster. This requirements will normally be defined from the application
> side.
> I personally would start here with unicast cause multicast can blow up
> your network segment/VLAN.
>
> Regards
> Ramazan
>
> "Whiteford" <no@no.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm just setting up my first NLB in 2008 std.  In your experience is it
>> best to setup an NLB in multicast or unicast and is it best if both
>> servers are in their own VLAN?
>>
>> Thanks

0
Whiteford
3/2/2010 8:30:44 AM
Hi Whiteford,

"Whiteford" <no@no.com> wrote
> My explanation was probably incorrect.  We currently have a NLB for our
> Exchange CAS 2007 environment both server are on an NLB (multicast) and in
> their own VLAN, works well, this was all setup by another company.

Again, I don't know the exactly reason in your setup for using multicast
here, but I personally would not use it due to generated network traffic.
at msexchange.org you can find an article which discusses this as well :
http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/high-availability-recovery/load-balancing-exchange-2007-client-access-servers-windows-network-technology-part1.html

> Now I am putting in a file server with to front end servers and I will
> need to set up NLB for them for redundancy.

Please help me here to get a better understanding of your scenario.
Do you want to "load balance" file services or web services ?

> Both PC's will be in the same VLAN, but I'm not sure if they should be in
> the same VLAN, so a new VLAN with both serves only  OR put them in the
> current server VLAN using multicast or unicast?

Normally you should have 2 adapters installed and have seperated networks
for management and public traffic. the adapters from both server which are
connected to the public network should then be configured for NLB, again
ideally in Unicast mode :-)

Check out the following link to get a more details around windows 2008 NLB
features :

NLB - Deployment Guide
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754833(WS.10).aspx

Network Load Balancing Step-by-Step Guide: Configuring Network Load
Balancing with Terminal Services
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771300(WS.10).aspx

NLB - Overview

Hope that helps

Regards
Ramazan

0
RCan

reinstalling windows

Windows live mail

Windows Vista

open windows

Windows pdate Status: Failed

Outlook Mail not working with Windows 7

Windows Explorer doesn't show keywords

Windows recovery console

windows messenger/Outlook 2002

Windows update error

How Do I Remove Page # From Cover Sheet w/ Windows 2007?
I am writing a paper in Windows 2007 and cannot have a page number on the cover sheet. Help! Thanks : ) Presumably you mean Word 2007 since (a) there is no Windows 2007 and (b) Windows is not a word processor. Click in the header/footer to open it. In the Options group of the contextual Header & Footer Tools | Design tab, check the box for "Different First Page." Leave the First Page Header/Footer empty. If you need to start the numbering with 1 on the the second page, click on Page Number, choose Format Page Numbers, and change the "Page numbering" set...

Windows Workflow Foundation
Any one know of a good VB example on the above subject.. any links would be greatful Simon After much searching and trawling through C# examples that as its friday i didn't want to convert.. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2e575633-e357-4ee7-aaff-34138f00e830&displaylang=en Simon "Simon Whale" <simon@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23zfF5ScwKHA.1692@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Any one know of a good VB example on the above subject.. any links would > be greatful > > > Simon > ...

We can't sign you in to Windows Live Messenger
For several days I've been unable to sign in to Windows Live Messenger. I keep getting the same error: "Signing in to Windows Live Messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later" Error code 80048820 I've clicked troubleshoot to try to fix this problem, but troubleshoot couldn't find anything wrong. I've tried to reset my password, but this doesn't seem to work, because on the change password page I have to enter those security numbers and letters but they don't appear. When I listened to the audio and...

Word 2008 for Mac business cards
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I've just moved after many years on a PC to an iMac. I want to make some new business cards in Word 2008 for Mac. This worked well in the past for me using MS Publisher. I have entered my information on the first of these cards on the Word 2008 page, but the remaining cards on the page are still in original latin format. How do I apply the changes I have made to the first card on the page to all the cards on the page so I can print them put? I'm not a computer nerd, so please give an answer in layman's terms....

windows mail window
When I press send or receive, I get the emails but an error message appears. There is nothing left in the draft file and I eliminated the email that wouldn't go through. I want to clear this message from the windows mail window. Please help me. Jackie Carpenter What does the error message say? Right-click on it, select Copy, then paste it into a reply here. -- Windows 7 Ultimate http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview http://download.live.com/wlmail "jwcarpenter" <jwcarpenter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2B5D0223-EE44-4C4E-9...

Non English fonts (Greek) not working in Windows XP SP3
I had a collection of Greek fonts which used to work fine with other versions of Windows (Windows 98). Recently I found the CD on which there were saved and tried to play these Greek fonts on Windows XP SP3, but they were not recognised. I tried them both in Windows English and Greek versions. What could be wrong? Thank you, Paul ...

Constant Popping Up of Windows Live Mail
My Windows Live Mail pops up on my screen about every 15 to 30 seconds. Have tried signing out also man other things. Any help would be much appreciated to either stop popups or to delete all together. You could delete it altogether if you don't use it. Which mail client program do you use? --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "Zancherito" <Zancherito@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:995B1E2D-D99D-466F-8593-4C7EA410E4BD@microsoft.com... > My Windows Live Mail pops up on m...

GUI freezes and Office 2008 errors in console related?
I have a remote user experiencing system wide GUI lockups for a few minutes at a time. He gets a spinning beach ball, can't switch apps, and even the seconds in the system clock stop updating. Browsing through the console log I found numerous of the following entries during the times of the system freezes: 3/30/09 7:43:04 AM [0x0-0x34034].com.microsoft.Powerpoint[255] Mon Mar 30 07:43:04 user.local Microsoft PowerPoint[255] <Error>: CGBitmapContextGetData: invalid context 3/28/09 6:12:25 AM [0x0-0x51051].com.microsoft.Excel[957] Sat Mar 28 06:12:25 user.local Microsoft Exc...

Scanning opens tender window
Hi, Have you ever encoutered following issue. After upgrading system from version 1.3 to 2.0 there is one problem with some POSes. After scanning good it is not added to list in main window but program works like f12 was pressed and tender window appear. Could you please advice how i may solve this problem? Thank you in advance. Regards, Hi Adam, It is probably your ILC itself that is triggering the calling of the F12. Your scanner is probably set to carriage return, right? What is one of your actual ILC that prompts for the tender screen? -- Jocelyn &quo...