Upgrading from server 2000 to server 2008R2?

We would like to upgrade our servers to Windows server 2008 R2. Currently
we have two Windows 2000 (SP 4) domain controllers, we want to replace the
Forest Root Domain box with new hardware & upgrade the other DC to server
2008 R2.

I understand it's not possible to upgrade from 2000 straight to 2008 but is
server 2003 still available to ugrade to in between? I'm also not sure of
what the implications of retiring the Forest Root Domain box would be?

Would the best plan be to add the new 2008 server (domain function & forest
function level: 2000); upgrade the second box to Server 2008 R2 (via server
2003?); transfer the roles from the FRD box to the others; demote the FRD
to a member server then finally raise the forest & functional levels of the
2 remaining DCs?

Any advice would be greatly received?

Regards,
Jason
0
Jazsnap

Hi,

> We would like to upgrade our servers to Windows server 2008 R2. Currently
> we have two Windows 2000 (SP 4) domain controllers, we want to replace the
> Forest Root Domain box with new hardware & upgrade the other DC to server
> 2008 R2.
>
> I understand it's not possible to upgrade from 2000 straight to 2008 but is
> server 2003 still available to ugrade to in between? I'm also not sure of
> what the implications of retiring the Forest Root Domain box would be?
>
> Would the best plan be to add the new 2008 server (domain function & forest
> function level: 2000); upgrade the second box to Server 2008 R2 (via server
> 2003?); transfer the roles from the FRD box to the others; demote the FRD
> to a member server then finally raise the forest & functional levels of the
> 2 remaining DCs?
>
> Any advice would be greatly received?

The route you propose seems the proper way but I would make the new Win2k8 server a DC and maybe
transfer the FSMO roles before upgrading the second box. If during the upgrade something is not
ready for a Win2k8 DC it's a bit late finding out. This way you will have a wording Win2k8 DC before
upgrading an older DC to Win2k8.

Make sure you prepare the AD using the adprep tool.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731728(WS.10).aspx

Bonno Bloksma

0
Bonno
5/28/2010 1:01:12 PM
Hello Jazsnap,

See my blog about upgrading to Windows server 2008 R2:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/archive/2010/02/06/upgrading-an-active-directory-domain-from-windows-server-2000-to-windows-server-2008-or-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx

If you choose the way above there is no need to go over Windows server 2003.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> We would like to upgrade our servers to Windows server 2008 R2.
> Currently we have two Windows 2000 (SP 4) domain controllers, we want
> to replace the Forest Root Domain box with new hardware & upgrade the
> other DC to server 2008 R2.
>
> I understand it's not possible to upgrade from 2000 straight to 2008
> but is server 2003 still available to ugrade to in between? I'm also
> not sure of what the implications of retiring the Forest Root Domain
> box would be?
>
> Would the best plan be to add the new 2008 server (domain function &
> forest function level: 2000); upgrade the second box to Server 2008 R2
> (via server 2003?); transfer the roles from the FRD box to the others;
> demote the FRD to a member server then finally raise the forest &
> functional levels of the 2 remaining DCs?
>
> Any advice would be greatly received?
>
> Regards,
> Jason

0
Meinolf
5/28/2010 4:59:23 PM
In addition to Meinolf's and Bonno's processes, you need to determine
whether or not your current boxes support the OS. IIRC< Windows 2008 R2
*REQUIRES* a 64 bit server. I'm dubious that any server running Windows
2000 meets that requirement.....

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Microsoft MVP
Windows Server - Directory Services
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/

On 5/28/2010 7:05 AM, Jazsnap wrote:
> We would like to upgrade our servers to Windows server 2008 R2. Currently
> we have two Windows 2000 (SP 4) domain controllers, we want to replace the
> Forest Root Domain box with new hardware&  upgrade the other DC to server
> 2008 R2.
>
> I understand it's not possible to upgrade from 2000 straight to 2008 but is
> server 2003 still available to ugrade to in between? I'm also not sure of
> what the implications of retiring the Forest Root Domain box would be?
>
> Would the best plan be to add the new 2008 server (domain function&  forest
> function level: 2000); upgrade the second box to Server 2008 R2 (via server
> 2003?); transfer the roles from the FRD box to the others; demote the FRD
> to a member server then finally raise the forest&  functional levels of the
> 2 remaining DCs?
>
> Any advice would be greatly received?
>
> Regards,
> Jason
0
Hank
5/30/2010 12:38:08 PM
Hank Arnold <rasilon@aol.com> wrote in

> In addition to Meinolf's and Bonno's processes, you need to determine
> whether or not your current boxes support the OS. IIRC< Windows 2008
> R2 *REQUIRES* a 64 bit server. I'm dubious that any server running
> Windows 2000 meets that requirement.....
>

> Regards,
> Hank Arnold
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Server - Directory Services
> http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/
>
> On 5/28/2010 7:05 AM, Jazsnap wrote:
>> We would like to upgrade our servers to Windows server 2008 R2.
>> Currently we have two Windows 2000 (SP 4) domain controllers, we want
>> to replace the Forest Root Domain box with new hardware&  upgrade the
>> other DC to server 2008 R2.
>>
>> I understand it's not possible to upgrade from 2000 straight to 2008
>> but is server 2003 still available to ugrade to in between? I'm also
>> not sure of what the implications of retiring the Forest Root Domain
>> box would be?
>>
>> Would the best plan be to add the new 2008 server (domain function&
>> forest function level: 2000); upgrade the second box to Server 2008
>> R2 (via server 2003?); transfer the roles from the FRD box to the
>> others; demote the FRD to a member server then finally raise the
>> forest&  functional levels of the 2 remaining DCs?
>>
>> Any advice would be greatly received?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jason

Thanks for all the replies, they're all of great help.
Jason
0
Jazsnap

excel 2000 out of memory
How big can a spreadsheet be in excel 2000 ?? I can seam to get over about 70 MB or I get can't open it and save it, I have 512 MB RAM and there is plenty left over when excel runs out of memory ?? Kim Hi Kim see http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimitsc.htm Charles ______________________ Decision Models FastExcel Version 2 now available. www.DecisionModels.com "Kim" <k@lazy.dk> wrote in message news:fD3zb.50506$jf4.2762193@news000.worldonline.dk... > How big can a spreadsheet be in excel 2000 ?? > > I can seam to get over about 70 MB or I get can't open ...

What's wrong with the relication server?
Anything wrong here? It's Win2k3 and E2k3. Thanks Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeSRS Event Category: Internal Processing Event ID: 1400 Date: 2/7/2007 Time: 4:38:21 PM User: N/A Computer: ExServer Description: The Microsoft Exchange Site Replication Service could not initialize its Exchange database (EDB) and returned error 1. The Site Replication Service will wait in a semi-running state so the database can be restored from backup and the SRS can mount it. For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp. Ray On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 16:41:40 -0...

Vista x86 Upgrade to Win7 x64

Backing Up Contacts in Outlook 2000
I have MS Office 2000 installed in my PC and use Outlook 2000 solely for Contact Data . I have all my APPLICATIONS installed on the C: which is where XP Pro SP2 is also installed. I use the D drive for DATA and back up all the data each day using Second Copy. This works OK for all the data except the Outlook Contact data which I understand is contained in the file "contacts.pst" I cannot find the path for this file so cannot , therefore backup this data. How do I find the PATH for this file so that I can point Second Copy to it so that it too will be included in the daily b...

Unable to see any data folder in smartlist on the server
Dear All, Unable to see any data folder in smartlist on the server all the smartlist left side panel is empty even with sa user on the server for GP9.0 whereas it's ok on all the client machines. I click and unlick all the options in smart list security options and no changes happen. Could u please help me to solve this issue. Thanks in advance. -- Developer Hi, Check the regional options for the server, under advanced tab make sure the language selected work with GP SQL Collation. "Dexdev" wrote: > > Dear All, > > Unable to see any data folder in smar...

MS SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services Add-n for MS Sharepoint CUub
I am trying to get SQL Reporting Services installed in the MOSS 2007 test environment (SP2). After my servers and Farm are set up and running, I install MS SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services Add-in for MS Sharepoint Technologies. When I try to build a cube (which worked before I installed the add-in), my cube build services breaks with an ActiveX Component Can't Create error I've searched the internet high and low for a workaround, but the only one I find that works is removing the Add-in. Not a good choice as we want this running to mirror our production. I se...

Fax server
Hello All, I have been asked to look at what it would take to setup a Fax server in our organization. Right now, we do not send many faxes, but we do receive approximately 3500 pages in faxes a month. We want to move away from the old standalone fax machines and into a server type environment, where all of the faxes are delivered to an email inbox. Does Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 as a combination allow for this? If so, do I need to use the Enterprise Edition? Or, does Standard have this functionality? We have looked at RightFax, GFI FaxMaker, and several other products, as well as sol...

Upgrading the CPU?

unable to drag scrollbar in excell 2000
I have office 2000 installed on my xp home sp2 machine and when i click on the scroll bar in excel to drag it to the required point on the worksheet it just jumps to the end of the sheet in effect acting like a page up or down button. i am actually clicking on the scroll bar as i now clicking under it has the same effect. has anyone come across this or have a fix? i have a wheel mouse and can scroll down the page with that but this is starting to bug me now.. any suggestions greatly appreciated ...

8.0 Upgrade

Still battling 1.2>3.0 upgrade

Exc 2k
Hi, I was wondering if the operation below would be reasonnable ": Install a new brand new exchange server restore from another server the Mailbox Store Update through LPAD the AD to reflect the changes Seems to be working on some users in test lab. but in prod ? Thanks, Chris ...

sort blockwise (excel 2000 or later)
Hello, I use excel 2000 and have the following table Col1 | Col 2 ---------------------- Item 2 | Item 2b | Item 2a | Item 2c | Item 2d Item1 | Item1a | Item 1b | Item 1c .... Item n Item n1 I want to sort that list in a way that I obtain either of the following: Item1 | Item1a | Item 1b | Item 1c Item 2 | Item 2b | Item 2a | Item 2c | Item 2d or Item1 | Item1a | Item 1b | Item 1c Item 2 | Item 2a | Item 2b | Item 2c | Item 2d Any ...

Resetting Money 2000
Is there any way to reset Money 2000 short of uninstalling? In other words, how do I get it to let me start over without having to compete with all the info that's been put in before? We stopped using the program sometime last year and now I want to start using it again anew. Thanks in advance for whatever help you can offer. Jake File|New is usually very effective. "Jake" <deos17@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:070801c362c8$c11313a0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is there any way to reset Money 2000 short of > uninstalling? In other words, how do I get it to le...

Moving SOMgr & Server
After installing POS,Mgr & server one one computer (and it works fine) I have moved the Server and Mgr to another computer on the network. The POS and dongole remain on original computer. When I go into the Mgr I get the 941 error about dondgle not being found. Is there something else I need to do so Mgr sees the dongle on POS machine? The POS station with the dongle needs to be Register #1 and needs to be the first machine to run RMS POS every day. Tom "NcS" wrote: > After installing POS,Mgr & server one one computer (and it works fine) I have > moved the Ser...

XP Upgrade

Removing last Exchange 2003 server after migration to Exchange 2007
We've just completed a migration from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007 and I'm going to have to start thinking about removing the last Exchange 2003 server, which was also the first Exchange 2003 server that was installed. There are no user mailboxes left on the Exchange 2003 server although there are still replicas of public folders, we're still using Outloook 2003 if that makes a difference. I'm sort of expecting issues with Default Offline Address list, public folders, the Exchange 2007 / Exchange 2003 connector and probably some stuff that needs to be manually deleted...

Upgrading to Money 2004 Premium
Hi, I just upgraded my money 2003 to Money 2004 Premium, and am being told that my money file with all my data is not compatable, has any one else had this problem, and if yes what was the work around. -- Cheers Catherine PM Community Team This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. In microsoft.public.money, Catherine Feldhausen [MSFT] wrote: > >I just upgraded my money 2003 to Money 2004 Premium, and am being told that >my money file with all my data is not compatable, has any one else had this >problem, and if yes what was the wo...

Mail Delivery Locally Between Two Exchange servers Locally
Hi, 1) I have two Exchange servers hosting Exchange 2000, Exchange 2003 in the same subnet. 2) two domains are different from each other (DmainA.com.sg, DonainB.com.sg). 3) When these exchange servers send mails, it will go through the SMTP of its own. 4) when DomainA send mail to DomainB or viseversa it will go through the SMTP which results slow delivery of mail. Q:- 1) is there any way i can configure these servers to deliver mail to each other directly. 2) on Exchange 2000 any mail for DomainB must go through any conector,deliver directly or smar...

Exchange 2000 mailbox store
I don't know why my exchange 2000 mailbox store keeps being dismounted by itself. By the time i restart the server its mounted again. It does this every 3/4hours each day. I have Win2000 SP4 and ex2000 running. The exchange server is on the schema master DC there must be something in your application or system event logs on why it's doing this... "tayoajax" <tayoajax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A3129678-76C8-4101-90A9-24F7F1173B56@microsoft.com... > I don't know why my exchange 2000 mailbox store keeps being dismounted by > itself....

Is it possible 2000 really did this?????
I have a questions from clients that have recently upgraded from outlook 2000 to outlook 2003. When they exit outlook, if they had messages open when using outlook 2000, the messages would stay up on the desktop, but in outlook 2003 the messages also close when outlook is exited. Is there a way to change that? Denise No, it didn't do that as a feature. When this happened it was actually the outlook.exe process hanging. In Outlook 2003 it is a feature but implemented differently; minimize to the Notification Area by righ clicking the Outlook icon in the Notification area and choose...

Upgrade? or not to upgrade.
I accepted the invitation to try office 2010. Upon installation, outlook 2007 quit working. Since that is the only critical piece i need out of office, and all my emails etch i desperately need are on there, I uninstalled. Now I get no out look. I get the error: "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. I am really kicking myself, I knew i shouldn't have done the upgrade trial. I am bordering on hysteria here. Can anyone help? Tried to open in compatibility mode xp but no go same error. Outlook now does not appear in the start ...

Security Settings in P2007 server
which security settings allow a user the ability to create an Issue or risk for a project. I have created a new group, catagory and template and everything works except that they cannot create a new risk or issue on any of the projects they have access to. Any ideas? -- Sharktracker Can you tell us which of the SharePoint Security groups the users are showing up under? My guess is they are showing up under Readers ... - Web Administrators (Microsoft Office Project Server) DESCRIPTION: Users who have Manage Windows SharePoint Services permission in Microsoft Office P...