trafficmanagement / logging with RRAS

Hello,

I plan to use RRAS with windows2003.
My idea is to connect some users using NAT to the internet.

But I would like to have some kind of logging and trafficmanagement, so for
example a logfile that shows what User (IP-Nr, Hostname) has connected to
what website (URL).
Also how much traffic a user (IP-Nr, Hostname) has generated.
And: "disconnect" a user (IP-Nr) from the internet....

I think that all or some of these features I can find in a proxyserver
(ISA..) - but a proxyserver would required that I set the proxy settings in
the users' intenetbrowser - but this is not possible for me to do (I can not
apply policies etc...)

Is there a way so that RRAS would do something like this ? Or maybe with the
help of some 3rd party software...?

thank you
Heinz

0
Heinz

Deleting logs from tracking.log in 5.5
some logs got deleted "on the fly" from the tracking.log folder (so, with all services running) I'm wondering if this might affect my exchange server adversely ... don't see anything yet, but I'm holding my breath and reserving the right to throw someone in the fire. anyone? thanks in advance, Mauricio. On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 06:09:02 -0800, mcalvo <mcalvo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >some logs got deleted "on the fly" from the tracking.log folder (so, with all >services running) > >I'm wondering if this might affect my exchange s...

Lots of application event log entries... is this normal?
I need a bit of help making some sense out of my event log. Hopefully someone can lend a hand. Sorry if this is long. I have an Exchange Server 2003 recently set up and servicing a 50-user company. I was browsing the application even log and I am getting regular and frequent (several every minute, to every few minutes) warnings and one particular error. I believe that most of these are related. BTW the system is performing just fine, I am just uneasy with the presence of all of those warnings . Here are the symptoms I have observed are: Error/Event ID: 7004 - no help from Micros...

Can not see Domain box when logging into OWA
Exchanger Server 2000, Windows 2000 Server. We have a Windows 2003 DC. Our client computers running XP are not able to login into OWA because they can't see the domain box, when they enter in their username and password. What can I do? Have them logon with their UPN. user@yourADDomain.local On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:23:01 -0700, "Kristina" <Kristina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Exchanger Server 2000, Windows 2000 Server. We have a Windows 2003 DC. Our >client computers running XP are not able to login into OWA because they can't >see the d...

Where are Exchange 2000 log files?
Hello: I need to have a look at log files. Where can I find them? Is there a way to activate/deactivate/change level of Exchange 2000 log messages? Thank you very much. Manuel. Which log files? Transaction log files? Check the properties of the Storage Group to find out the location of the transaction logs. You can't read them though. They are not in a format that can be read by any text editor. SMTP log files? Event logs? Can you clarify what you are looking for? You can enable additional logging on many of the components of Exchange (ESM, Server properties, Diagnostics logg...

how do i get a log log plot without taking log
Format each axis; open Scale tab and check the Logarithmic Scale option box best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "sri" <sri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1B743FB5-AE93-4FC9-80B4-1C9C11B69FDD@microsoft.com... > sri - Create an XY (Scatter) chart type. For each axis, select the axis, and choose Format Axis | Scale | Logarithmic Scale. - Mike www.mikemiddleton.com ...

security event logs do not log all failures from OWA ? ?
Hello there I noticed that if a user do not enter the username in the domain\username in the username field from OWA then exchange checks if the user exists on the default domain and then if it doesn't then it doesn't log the failure login in the security event log. I am kind of worried since, somebody can just try a DoS attack and the logs wouldn't point to it !!! Thanks I meant : > I noticed that if a user do not enter the username in the format > domain\username in "Simo Sentissi" <msentissi@rightnow.com> wrote in message news:e6Fw69mYGHA.3848@...

Restoring databases and transactions logs?
Good morning everybody! Here is the scenario, i am trying to create a fail over mail server in case anything ever happens to my primary server. Right now I have a primary server and a secondary server that are identical. Only the primary is being used. The operating system is Windows 2003, enterprise and Exchange 2003 enterprise on both. Now, here is the tricky part. I would like to robocopy or copy my public and private primary servers exchange databases and transaction logs over to the secondary server at night when all exchange services are down on the primary server. If everything else is...

Deleting MDBData (Mailbox) Logs
We are running low on disk space on our Exchange Server 2003. Is it alright to delete the old logs in the MDBData folder? Thanks. Get a good full backup using NTBackup and they will get cleared when the backup completes. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm "Carolyn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

trafficmanagement / logging with RRAS
Hello, I plan to use RRAS with windows2003. My idea is to connect some users using NAT to the internet. But I would like to have some kind of logging and trafficmanagement, so for example a logfile that shows what User (IP-Nr, Hostname) has connected to what website (URL). Also how much traffic a user (IP-Nr, Hostname) has generated. And: "disconnect" a user (IP-Nr) from the internet.... I think that all or some of these features I can find in a proxyserver (ISA..) - but a proxyserver would required that I set the proxy settings in the users' intenetbrowser - ...

Unable to log into my Outlook mail
I can log into my win2k domain, but when I open my outlook I get prompted for username, password,and domain. When I enter the correct info, the system replies that it's incorrect. I have tried changing passwords and many other fixes, including uninstalling and reinstalling office and still can't get it to work. I can log into outlook and my account from a different computer, but not from mine. Scanned my computer with Norton NAV. On the client side, using Outlook 2002, with winXP sp1, office 2002 sp1 & 2. On the server side, using echange 2000 with sp 3, windows 2000 ser...

Online Log Size
I've got a 40G SS 2005 table without indexes that I need to add a clustered index to. I know that if I do a standard index addition, it will write out about 40G to the log and I was hoping to avoid that. If do the ONLINE option for building this clustered index, will it write out significantly less to the log by any chance? Nope - but, you can try changing the recovery model to BULK-LOGGED and seeing if that reduces the amount of data recorded in the transaction log. Remember to change the recovery model back to full after the index has been rebuilt. Note: the transact...

Circular Logging
Can circular logging in Exchange 2003 really free up 20 GB of hard disk space? I enabled it and I was amazed to see my free space five-fold. yip, not necessarily 20mb but just make sure u backup the transaction logs, u will need when u do a restore of your database. "Josh" <Josh@puzzled.com> wrote in message news:26a701c4aada$a7d2f7b0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Can circular logging in Exchange 2003 really free up 20 GB > of hard disk space? I enabled it and I was amazed to see > my free space five-fold. Josh wrote: > Can circular logging in Exchange 2003 r...

log events in the event log
I want to be able to track when a user connects to their mailbox. I have someone who is trying to connect to other mailboxes and I want this to be log in the event log. I would like to show the user name and the mailbox they tried to connect to in the same event. Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance for your help... Question for you...Does this person who is attempting to connect to the mailboxes have full exchange administrator rights on the Exchange Org? If so, you may want to refer to a previous post as this same question was asked and then answered. Jermaine "faf19...

Diagnostics Logging
Some email to some domains can't be delivered showing as "The connection was dropped by the remote host" What type of logging should I enable to troubleshoot this? THanks also, where does it log too be default? "James" <fake@email.com> wrote in message news:uxUhWt9eEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Some email to some domains can't be delivered > showing as "The connection was dropped by the remote host" > > What type of logging should I enable to troubleshoot this? > > THanks > > ...

Problem with log in to Vista
I've got a problem with my Vista (Home Premium) I tried to log in in the morning and this problem occured - all of my desktop icons (same goes to wallpaper) vanished, my Windows taskbar won't open and I can only browse my computer through one explorer window that popped out during a log in (I can browse all the areas/hdd's of my pc) I scanned my OS with AVG antivir but the problem still occurs. It's been 8 months since I install the system (and i've got all the updates) and I never had a problem like this before. What is it? Is it a virus or any other piece of m...

creating a log sheet
Hi all, I've created a method to capture current user (network username) and a date / time stamp. I want this output to be logged on a hidden sheet called 'log' strangely enough! How does it find the next available line in log to output to? tia see if this will help you. you didn't give too specific of a description, so hopefully this is what you're looking for lastRow = Worksheets("log").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row range("A: & lastrow +1) = "your date/time stamp code" -- Gary "sacrum" <sacrum...

How to log internet header of incoming emails?
Hello, I want to log internet header of incoming emails. I want to see the content of the Bcc field. Is it possible? And if yes, how and where I have to config the log settings in exchange server? We use exchange 2000. Thanks. Regards Christian You can create a rudimentary log of incoming mail using the SMTP protocol logging feature of the SMTP virtual server. It will not record the BCC field or any of the message content, though. The BCC field would be inside the RFC 2822 header of the message. To record anything in that you would need an SMTP protocol sink. The Archive sink mig...

OWA, log in to .. log out?
hi Exch 2k3 1 FE server no forms based auth here(yet) This weekend I put a FE server out and put a SSL cerfiticate on it. The name in the certificate is not the same as the server, however our internet facing DNS has an A record for it with the name that is used in the certificate. after the migration I have a small number of users, about 10 out of 1000 that when using OWA get asked to enter credentials when they click "log off". why? Also, because i think its maybe related. This FE server is physically inside our network behind a pix. One thing I wanted to achieve but...

log-log charts
can't create log-log chart in excel 2000. There is a selection under format axis to choose log scale for the Y- axis but there is no selection for choosing log scale for the x-axis. can anyone help? Hi CT, You need to plot a xy-scatter in order to have log scale on the x axis. Sounds like you are using the line chart type. Where the x axis is a category axis. Cheers Andy CT wrote: > can't create log-log chart in excel 2000. There is a > selection under format axis to choose log scale for the Y- > axis but there is no selection for choosing log scale for > the x-...

How to find out if a user has logged on ?
Hi: Within a Windows Service, is there a way to find out if a user (any user) has already logged on to the machine ? Thanks In Advance ! Polaris You can use NetWkstaGetInfo with a level of 102 to get the number of logged on users. And NetWkstaUserGetInfo will give you information about the logged in user. AliR. "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23pmkzBWYFHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi: > > Within a Windows Service, is there a way to find out if a user (any user) > has already logged on to the machine ? > > Thanks In Advanc...

can open 1 picture unless logged in as Administrator???
Help please????!!! Unless i log in as Administrator, i can only insert 1 picture in MS Publisher 97? I get told the graphics filters are not installed, but i have done a full install? Ms clients are running windows 2000 OS and are locked down via group policy. Any help would be great Thanks, Carl. Publisher (especially the older versions I hear) doesn't like playing with networks. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Carlos1981" <Carlos1981@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:642AAFF8-D25F-4AC5-B90E-33AC25E17663@microsoft.com... > Help p...

Log Files & EDB
Hi All, Our Exchange server has been generating multiple log files in the MDBDATA folder. Each one of them is exactly 5120KB and there are about a dozen or more just from today. Also our priv1.edb has grown to almost 90GB! which is alarming because our totalled mailbox size is around 16GB. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly apreciated. Thanks, Shervan Do a full backup..that will commit the log files to the DB, and then delete them. You need to schedule full backups routinely.... "Shervan Torabi" <storabi@cox.net> wrote in message news:e%23S%23TQrLHHA....

tg
I have been running 2 Exchange 2000 servers for 2 years. I recently installed an Exchange 2003 server and moved all mailboxes from one of the Exchange 2000 servers to this new 2k3 server. It was 35 mailboxes and all worked fine. I have had no problems whatsoever as I took my time making sure to prep everything needed for a smooth transition to Exchange 2003. I now have one Exchange 2003 server and one Exchange 2003 server running. This morning I setup a new computer (XP Pro SP2) for an existing user that already has a mailbox on the Exchange 2003 server. When configuring Outlook 2003 ...

Backups, Logs, Databases.. Logs written when? Serious Problem
I have a server with 2500 Exchange 2003 Users, 3 Storage Groups, 4 Stores per group. I had to move around a bunch of users between mailbox stores within same storage group on all groups. Problem, now I have 21gigs in the logs and only 13 gigs left on my database spindles. If I run a full backup server will shut down? Not enough space on database spindles. Do I need to run and offline defrag? Do I need to move some mailboxes off server? Will moving mailboxes increase log size? -- DCMETRO1 On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 04:22:01 -0700, "DCMETRO1" <DCMETRO1@discussions.microsoft....

SMTP log link2state growth
Any one have any ideas about why SMTP logs would grow out of control with link2state communication? We have an Ex2k3 server that has had 3 instances where this has happened. 2 seemed to be associated with power outages. One was in our own building where Ex2k3 didn't go down, but both DCs did, and of course it was isolated from the rest of the world. The other power outage occured at another location that houses our organizations central Exchange servers. They are the hub in our hub and spoke messaging structure. The third time, happened when we brought up our old Ex2k server th...