symbolic link not working via share ?

I have a shared folder on a win2008 server, which has several folders and
files which are read for domain users, and also a symbolic link to another
folder on the same drive which has again read permission for domain users.
However when I access the share and navigate down to the symbolic link and
click on that folder I get various error messages.

On a server 2003 and an xp machine I get "\\server2008\folder\link is not
accessible......cannot find message number 0x in the message file for
\\server2008\folder\link". I guess this is because xp/2003 does not
understand symbolic links ? (which is a real drop off to using them).

From a vista machine ( Note: I have allowed L2L/R2R/R2L/L2R) I get a
different error. When I browse to the linked folder I get a message saying
the folder accessed is not available.

If I logon to the machine hosting the share with the same user credentials I
can browse to the linked folder fine.

Tony

0
tonyb61

"tonyb61" <tonyb61@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a shared folder on a win2008 server, which has several folders and
>files which are read for domain users, and also a symbolic link to another
>folder on the same drive which has again read permission for domain users.
> However when I access the share and navigate down to the symbolic link and
> click on that folder I get various error messages.
>
> On a server 2003 and an xp machine I get "\\server2008\folder\link is not
> accessible......cannot find message number 0x in the message file for
> \\server2008\folder\link". I guess this is because xp/2003 does not
> understand symbolic links ? (which is a real drop off to using them).
>
> From a vista machine ( Note: I have allowed L2L/R2R/R2L/L2R) I get a
> different error. When I browse to the linked folder I get a message saying
> the folder accessed is not available.
>
> If I logon to the machine hosting the share with the same user credentials
> I can browse to the linked folder fine.
>
> Tony

Not being able to access an NTFS Symbolic Link using Vista could be due to
Vista's UAC. Here's more info on NTFS Junction Points and NTFS Symbolic
links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link

Quoted from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point :
"Windows Vista supports a new symbolic link capability that replaces
junction points in Windows 2000 and Windows XP. They are designed to aid in
migration and application compatibility with UNIX operating systems."  [...]
"However, the functionality enabling cross-host symbolic links requires that
the remote system also support them, which effectively limits their support
to Windows Vista and later Windows operating systems."

Another possibility is the length of the Symbolic Link:

You cannot access a symbolic link by running Client for NFS if the path
length of the symbolic link is too long
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967111

More info:

NTFS symbolic link or symlink in windows vista and windows server 2008
http://techblissonline.com/ntfs-symbolic-link-or-symlink-in-windows-vista-and-windows-server-2008/

How to create or delete NTFS symbolic link or symlinks in windows vista?
http://techblissonline.com/vista-create-or-delete-ntfs-symbolic-link-or-symlinks/

If you ask me, I think using DFS would be a lot easier.

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE &
MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please
contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com
for regional support phone numbers.

0
Ace

Putting symbols automatically
I have a spreadsheet I created with a thousands of number codes. Now I need to put "* to the beginning and *" to end of the code. How can I do this? i.e. 123-23 to "*123-23*" Please help. Thank you. Maybe a helper column: ="*" & a1 & "*" And drag down. Ted S wrote: > > I have a spreadsheet I created with a thousands of number codes. Now I need > to put "* to the beginning and *" to end of the code. How can I do this? > > i.e. > 123-23 to "*123-23*" > > Please help. > > Thank yo...

Debug symbols
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C4239F.44908270 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I get a lot of messages such as=20 Loaded 'C:\WINNT\system32\ole32.dll', no matching symbolic information = found. Loaded 'C:\WINNT\system32\oleaut32.dll', no matching symbolic = information found. When I run my application in Debug mode. I read that I may need to = update my Debug files & I downloaded ( all 173MB of it) the symbols from = Microsoft and installed into the WINNT\Sym...

check this link
Hi I have this cell in excel into which I want to insert an e-mail link The Following is the link I want to use: Subject=mysubject&cc=somemailaddress;&bcc=othermailaddress;&body=mymessage;&attachment=c:\desktop\test meeting.vcs Everything works with the exception of the attachment - it does not showup in the attachment field in outlook editor Outlook lunches with the to:, cc, and bcc fields filled, along with the subject and the message, but no attachment to be seen in the attachment field I would like to know what I can do to make this work - if it can work? Thanks ...

copied movies work and then not anymore
Hi all, I just had to present some ppt's including movies. One of them I copied onto my laptop, we checked the movies (.avi & .wmv) and they were all fine. While presenting it didn't, I tried afterwards again, nothing... When I relinked them they were fine again... Can somebody explain this for me please? Kr, Peter Videos are always linked, as it seems you may know. If you put the video onto another computer, but it's in a different place, then PPT may not be able to find it. Actually, PPT *will not* be able to find it. For example, if you create t...

Smartlist builder
Hi, I have created a new smartlist by using external tables. I have a currency field in my table. In Smarlist I have specified a crieteria to bring in only the recods which have 0.00 amount in this column. but it wouldnt work. I can do the search on other columns, but not on this column. any ideas ? thanks Syed ...

Locating linked cells in Excel
Certains cells in the worksheet were linked to certain other Excel files. How to locate such cells which contain links in a worksheet When I can't find links, I'll use Bill Manville's FindLink program: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm NBV wrote: > > Certains cells in the worksheet were linked to certain other Excel files. > How to locate such cells which contain links in a worksheet -- Dave Peterson I use the find function and search for .XLS] to find links. However I have had worksheets that have fantom links. I know these files have no links and yet wh...

Symbols on the keyboard are not the symbols on the screen....
When I'm in Excel I must be hitting a key combination that creates havoc for me. Everything will be working fine and out of nowhere when I try to choose a symbol using the Shift + any number key....I get some wierd symbol instead of the symbol on the keyboard. In order to stop this I have to close out of Excel completely and come back in and it's fine. Is there Any way I could undo what I did without closing Excel? AND Do you know what I did to cause it to do that? Hi Lisha I had the same problem because I use two different language "French & English"...

link drop down menu to info in worksheet
want to create a drop down that shows information from other worksheets. ie as i select A it will read the information on A from the worksheet2. How about a 'list'? Position your cursor where you want it in worksheet 1. Go to Data, Validation, Settings, Allow and choose List. In Source, click on the red square in the spreadsheet icon, go to worksheet 2 and select what you want displayed in worksheet 1. Click on the red again, and OK. When your cursor enters the cell in worksheet 1, a downarrow appears with the list you linked to. HTH, Carole O "bob" wrote: >...

Saving a document with Symbol Font
I have the following scenario. I create a document and type the following sentence: "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog." I then highlight the sentence and change the font to Symbol (Wingdings and Webdings show the same behavior). I then save the document as a .docx file. I close Word. I then reopen the document and the text looks the same as it did when I saved it. I then highlight the text and change the font back to Calibiri, but instead of getting my original sentence, I get a whole long block of  symbols. I can copy and paste this sentence into W...

Formula to find the working days difference between to dates?
Is there a formula to work out the difference between 2 dates, but only the working days difference. for example. if the 1st date was thursday 1st june, and the 2nd date is monday 5th june, the days difference would be 4, where as i would like the working days difference, which is 2. please help, as it would save a LOT of time. =networkdays(start date,end date,holidays) -- paul remove nospam for email addy! "Mudgeman" wrote: > Is there a formula to work out the difference between 2 dates, but only the > working days difference. for example. if the 1st date was thursd...

Cancelling Links
Hello, I am having trouble removing links between spreadsheets, when they are no longer required. Can someone please help. Thanks Susie Try Bill Manville's excellent "FindLink" utility It's available at Stephen Bullen's page: http://www.bmsltd.ie/MVP/Default.htm -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Please respond in thread xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "susie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2b1d01c49d83$0f33dbf0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I am having trouble removing links between spreadsheets, > when t...

Adding tab via Macro
Greetings, I have to prepare a report each week in which after compilation of all the data I have to add one tab in each excel spreadsheet. I have 15 sheets and all the sheets have different numbers of tab. I am unable to conclude how to make macro to add a tab at the last of each workbook. Any help would be highly appreciated Thanks Dushyant worksheets.Add after:=worksheets(worksheets.Count) -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct) "Dushyant Rajput" <dushyant001@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OBeCeKSFHHA.1280@TK...

How to link website data to Excel cells
I want to automatically import wesbite data in Excel cells, to perform calculations. For example, I could have a portfolio in Excel that does complex calculations. The portfolio needs to update stock prices every day (and other numerical information). Don't want to manually cut, format and paste every day for dozens of stocks and other values. Want to link up the stock price in Yahoo (or from Fidelity Investments) to the cell automatically, such that every day I can open Excel and ask it to refresh all the prices at once. Is this possible? Thanks for your help. Tony from Hou...

Symbol font with standard computer symbols
Can anyone recommend a symbol font that contains all of the standard computer symbols like the On/Off symbol (circle with little stick at the top), USB port, LAN symbol, etc? ...

Auto complete stopped working
I have Outlook 2000. I love the auto-complete function for completing email addresses. But it stopped working. The appropriate boxes are checked under Options to enable this feature. Why is it not working now? It can't seem to find the address book ...I think. HELP! You have a bit more explaining to do. Outlook 2000 has no such feature. Explain why you think it does and what it is you think has stopped working. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Phillip" <morejam@burntbiskit.com> wrote in message news:nTZic.8822$3m2.7076@fe03.usenetserver.com... > I have Outlook 2000....

How to retrieve the yahoo symbols into excel?
There is a list of stock constituents from yahoo, I would like to retrieve each stock symbol into excel, but I need to manual do it one at a time by copying its link into excel. http://in.finance.yahoo.com/q/cp?s=%5EAORD Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrieve the yahoo symbols into excel? Thanks in advance of any suggestions Eric the download data link doesn't help? -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0273A971-EBDA-463A-B457-D6E56C5CCCE0@microsoft.com... > There is a list of...

Linking error in VC++ 6 while linking with a library developed in VC++ 7.
I am developing an app (console) in vc++ 6 that links with a library developed using vc++ 7. Getting tons of linker error (undefibed reference). Any suggestion/solution for this problem. Used 'multi threaded debug' runtime library. Some examples of the undefined names would help...otherwise, you are asking an unanswerable question! joe On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:51:08 -0800, "Subir Paul" <spaul@telcordia.com> wrote: >I am developing an app (console) in vc++ 6 that links with a library developed using vc++ 7. Getting tons of linker error (undefibed reference). Any ...

Server migration and spreadsheet links.
We are planning to migrate from our current server which is running Novell 5.0 to a new Windows 2003 server. We are going to have some serious issues with a lot of our spreadsheets that have links in them. I was wondering if there is any migration tools that would help us with the UNC names that the links use? or anything else that might be able to help with this issue. Kind of Off-Topic, but anyway-- I migrated from Novell 4.something to Windows 2000 three years ago. I created a shared directory called 'sys' on the Windows server and copied the Novell sys directory to it, creat...

Delete stock symbol or reuse stock symbol
I deleted a stock from my brokerage account and later ried to re-enter but it states that symbol, "FASMX", is already in use. Also I entered a stock with the symbol "CE" and later that day tried to enter more of that stock but it also stated I could not use that symbol because it was already in use. Any Advice? Thanks In microsoft.public.money, Stan wrote: >I deleted a stock from my brokerage account and later ried >to re-enter but it states that symbol, "FASMX", is already >in use. The next time you "delete" a stock, blank the sym...

Expand Links toolbar, more than one line (milti-line / multiple li
Is it possible allow the "Height" of the Links toolbar to automatically expand to allow for wrapping links to 2 or more lines of links instead of displaying only some links followed by the Links ">>" dropdown at the end of the toolbar ? If not, how difficult would it be to create an Add-on to provide this feature (multi-line / multiple line) for the Liks toolbar, or to create a new Add-on toolbar with this feature to replace the Links Toolbar ? Hi, 1. No 2. See the Medi-um toolbar. Regards. "Kevin F" <KevinF@discussions.microsof...

can't get newreader working
Hi, I'm trying to get the newsreader working on Outlook 2003. I've followed the sparse directions which simply activate a toolbar button to start the reader, however when I try to start it I get an error dialog stating: Attempt to access ResourceFile before Resources::Init() was called I have one IMAP folder, and one local personal folder setup. Could anyone tell me what's wrong here? Thanks ...

How do I get the adobe pdf maker link in Microsoft Word 2003
The adobe pdf maker link only intermittently appears in word 2003 - why how do I get the link always to be there Is the Adobe version fully updated? Are you starting Word from the start menu? Do you have other add-ins that write to the menu bar? -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>&...

Linking tables with forms
Hi, I'm still a relative beginner with Access, but I've not done too bad :P However, I'm finding one thing very confusing. Here's the scenario: I am writing a multi table db, and I need to link them all up via an index, so one form can easily display data from the others. For example: I need to display a name, located from one table, and then in a seperate table, store values from yet other tables. For some reason, I am finding this a little bit of a pain to do - I can't seem to get the values loaded correctly. It's no problem if they are simply from a table, but t...

insert checkmark symbol
The insert symbol is not available on my excel sheets (program). I would like to enter a checkmark in an excel cell(s). When I import Excel to word and enter them, and then export to Excel, they look great on the screenshot, but do not print correctly> Any ideas? Thanks. You can grab the check mark from the Character Map. You can get to the Character Map from the Start Menu. In my version of Windows, it's in the Programs / Accessories / System Tools folder. HTH, Gary Brown >-----Original Message----- >The insert symbol is not available on my excel sheets (program). I ...

Multiple Exchange users sharing one Windows Login...can it be done?
I have a 70 user network, XP pro clients, 2003SBS server running Exchange, and Active Directory. My users "share" the 50 computer workstations we have in the office, and they all login to the shared compueters with the same Windows Domain logins and pasword. As such, they are using OWA to access thier Exchange mail. (shortcut to OWA on desktop of shared profile, prompts for login and password when connecting) How do I replicate this setup using Outlook2003 instead of OWA? Basically, I would put a shortcut to outlook on the desktop profile that the users share, then configure outl...