Printing question

We are having an issue with LPR printing using our software in conjucntion
with a Windows 2008 server which is preventing us from being able to flash
images to a printer from our application.

We use Universe, SB+ and SBClient and would use the DOS shell from inside
SBClient to use LPR print commands to send the images to the printer, this
has worked fine on all other Windows servers but not 2008. What happens is
when you drop to DOS you can browse to the %systemroot%\system32 folder and
do a dir but you cannot see LPR. If you do the same from a normal command
prompt the file is visible, in fact there are quite a few files that are not
visible from the SBClient DOS shell that are from a normal command prompt.

I have checked permissions on files that are visible and compared them to
ones which are not and they are the same.

I do not expect anyone on this forum to have a solution for this but we do
have another workaround which we use in AIX which is to have the files sat in
a folder and when a document is sent to print these are sent as well using
the CAT command.

Is anything like this possible in Windows?

Thanks,

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Pardon my ignorance, but I never heard of Universe and SB+.
However LPR/LPD printing system has been present in Windows operating
systems since long time ago. In fact I used some freeware lpr/lpd on Windows
3.1.

Anyway it is now a feature in Windows 2008. Just add 'LPR Port monitor'
feature and here it is.

<evidence>
C:\Users\Administrator>lpr

Sends a print job to a network printer

Usage: lpr -S server -P printer [-C class] [-J job] [-o option] [-x] [-d]
filename

      -S server    Name or ipaddress of the host providing lpd service
      -P printer   Name of the print queue
      -C class     Job classification for use on the burst page
      -J job       Job name to print on the burst page
      -o option    Indicates type of the file (by default assumes a text
file)
                   Use &quot;-o l&quot; for binary (e.g. postscript) files
      -x           Compatibility with SunOS 4.1.x and prior
      -d           Send data file first
</evidence>

As far as 'cat' is concerned, there have also been 'Services For Unix' (SFU)
since Windows NT. I'm sure they are still available, but I haven't used it
in ages, so my 'vi' skills are somewhat rusted lately.

BTW, 'cat' is present in PowerShell, but this is another story.

Good luck

"Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are having an issue with LPR printing using our software in conjucntion
> with a Windows 2008 server which is preventing us from being able to flash
> images to a printer from our application.
>
> We use Universe, SB+ and SBClient and would use the DOS shell from inside
> SBClient to use LPR print commands to send the images to the printer, this
> has worked fine on all other Windows servers but not 2008. What happens is
> when you drop to DOS you can browse to the %systemroot%\system32 folder
> and
> do a dir but you cannot see LPR. If you do the same from a normal command
> prompt the file is visible, in fact there are quite a few files that are
> not
> visible from the SBClient DOS shell that are from a normal command prompt.
>
> I have checked permissions on files that are visible and compared them to
> ones which are not and they are the same.
>
> I do not expect anyone on this forum to have a solution for this but we do
> have another workaround which we use in AIX which is to have the files sat
> in
> a folder and when a document is sent to print these are sent as well using
> the CAT command.
>
> Is anything like this possible in Windows?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Anthony

0
Dusko
11/13/2009 7:53:28 PM
"Dusko Savatovic" <savatovic@nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Anthony,
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but I never heard of Universe and SB+.
> However LPR/LPD printing system has been present in Windows operating
> systems since long time ago. In fact I used some freeware lpr/lpd on
> Windows 3.1.
>
> Anyway it is now a feature in Windows 2008. Just add 'LPR Port monitor'
> feature and here it is.
>
> <evidence>
> C:\Users\Administrator>lpr
>
> Sends a print job to a network printer
>
> Usage: lpr -S server -P printer [-C class] [-J job] [-o option] [-x] [-d]
> filename

>      -S server    Name or ipaddress of the host providing lpd service
>      -P printer   Name of the print queue
>      -C class     Job classification for use on the burst page
>      -J job       Job name to print on the burst page
>      -o option    Indicates type of the file (by default assumes a text
> file)
>                   Use &quot;-o l&quot; for binary (e.g. postscript) files
>      -x           Compatibility with SunOS 4.1.x and prior
>      -d           Send data file first
> </evidence>
>
> As far as 'cat' is concerned, there have also been 'Services For Unix'
> (SFU) since Windows NT. I'm sure they are still available, but I haven't
> used it in ages, so my 'vi' skills are somewhat rusted lately.
>
> BTW, 'cat' is present in PowerShell, but this is another story.
>
> Good luck

Dusko,

FYI, Universe is an MDBMS (Multi-dimensional Database Mgmt System), a 3D
based database system that operates quite differently than the relational
databases systems such as SQL, Oracle, etc. I used to work with a competitor
product, Pick MDBMS back in the early 90s, however they've gone out of
business. Working with Universe on Windows (it also runs on *nix versions)
requires some hoops to get it running. I haven't worked with Pick in over 15
years, but I can say it was a bit of a PITA, especially back then when most
access to it was serial based (lots of fun ssetting up Digiboards and
Multitech multiport serial boxes), but slowly changed to IP access around
when I got out of it in '96. It's more of a niche market these days.

Ace

0
Ace
11/13/2009 11:33:08 PM
Thanks Ace for the info,

I used to work on Informix database on nix at times before NT.
Also used real green (not "green") terminals VT220, serial of course.

Best regards,
DuskoS

"Ace Fekay [MCT]" <aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote in message

<snip>

> Dusko,
>
> FYI, Universe is an MDBMS (Multi-dimensional Database Mgmt System), a 3D
> based database system that operates quite differently than the relational
> databases systems such as SQL, Oracle, etc. I used to work with a
> competitor product, Pick MDBMS back in the early 90s, however they've gone
> out of business. Working with Universe on Windows (it also runs on *nix
> versions) requires some hoops to get it running. I haven't worked with
> Pick in over 15 years, but I can say it was a bit of a PITA, especially
> back then when most access to it was serial based (lots of fun ssetting up
> Digiboards and Multitech multiport serial boxes), but slowly changed to IP
> access around when I got out of it in '96. It's more of a niche market
> these days.
>
> Ace

0
Dusko
11/14/2009 12:19:29 AM
> Thanks Ace for the info,
>
> I used to work on Informix database on nix at times before NT.
> Also used real green (not "green") terminals VT220, serial of course.
>
> Best regards,
> DuskoS

You're welcome. I didn't work with Informix, but I surely remember those
terminals. That was a long time ago in a far away place....  :-)

Have a good weekend!

Ace

0
Ace
11/14/2009 1:45:04 AM
Did you install the Feature: LPR Port on the server machine.  It's no longer
installed when installing LPD.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are having an issue with LPR printing using our software in conjucntion
> with a Windows 2008 server which is preventing us from being able to flash
> images to a printer from our application.
>
> We use Universe, SB+ and SBClient and would use the DOS shell from inside
> SBClient to use LPR print commands to send the images to the printer, this
> has worked fine on all other Windows servers but not 2008. What happens is
> when you drop to DOS you can browse to the %systemroot%\system32 folder
> and
> do a dir but you cannot see LPR. If you do the same from a normal command
> prompt the file is visible, in fact there are quite a few files that are
> not
> visible from the SBClient DOS shell that are from a normal command prompt.
>
> I have checked permissions on files that are visible and compared them to
> ones which are not and they are the same.
>
> I do not expect anyone on this forum to have a solution for this but we do
> have another workaround which we use in AIX which is to have the files sat
> in
> a folder and when a document is sent to print these are sent as well using
> the CAT command.
>
> Is anything like this possible in Windows?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Anthony

0
Alan

Power field
Hi, I am doing a mailing using Outlook 2002, Win XP HE. I have a message that says: ........ (company name)............... I manually put the company name in there (unfortunately). However it appears also in separate places later-on in the email. I would like to have it automatically update later-on in the message based on what I manually input for the 1st instance of it (as above). Is this possible and if so how??? Tx a lot. Sat Sue, Tx for your reply. I cannot actually use it with Word. I do not have a list of contacts for this particular one but have to go through an online directory and...

SerialNumberCount question
What is the SerialNumberCount column in the item table supposed to represent - the total number of available serial numbers, the total number of serial numbers regardless of status, etc...? Thank you, Kevin A serialised item can have either 1 serial number, or 2 or 3. That is what the count is. Afshin Alikhani - [afshin@retailrealm.co.uk] -- URL http://www.retailrealm.co.uk "kskinne" wrote: > What is the SerialNumberCount column in the item table supposed to represent > - the total number of available serial numbers, the total number of serial > numbers regardl...

printing copies

Ghosted print and print preview

Print Dynamic Range

TCP/IP printing

Printing booklet

Project Accounting Question
I created a new project (T&M), changed its status to open from estimated. However, I am not seeing this project in the lookup window for expense entry or purchasing. What could be happening here? Have you entered Cost Categories under the BUDGET button for that project which are of types Employee Expense or Purchases. If the project doesnt have any COst Cats of the type related to the transaction you want to post, it wont show in the list. <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:13e501c49c86$bc84b160$a301280a@phx.gbl... >I created a new project (T&...

Check printing in GP 7.0

Importing Question!
:confused: I don't know exactly to what forum I should be posting this question so I thought I'd start here with the gurus. Situation: Background: I work in the bankrupcy department of my company. Each week there i an excel document that is updated with new accounts that have gon bankrupt. (I copy this document to another location so it doesn't ge overwritten.) On my copy of the accounts I have a color coding schem to classify each account. However, each week there are more account added and I am currently having to go threw the entire list of account again, color coding ...

"Tiled" print setting.

CHtmlView and Printing

Query search question
I download a list of information onto a table, and i'd like to make a search on that item. I put in "*" & [Search Item] & "*" into the item field with the wildcards just in case. This works fine. Now lets say I'm looking up cars, so in the search input box that pops run when I run the query I type in dodge and that brings backs dodge matches. If I want to look up red dodges do I put like "red" and "*" & [Search Item] & "*" or "red" &"*" & [Search Item] & "*" ? I've trie...

Problems with printing

Printing--How not to Print Bkground

Question about automating Word within vb6
Hi, I have a program for writing reports that is used by companies whose users are not very good with computers or using various other programs such as Word or Excel. To make sure that the users always saved the reports with the correct name and in the proper place, I have save and close options within the program. To keep them from inadvertently using the Word Save or Close options, I had a toolbar always on top which covered the Word options and would allow the users to save the report within the program properly and in the correct place. Since I use a .dot form if they trie...

Address book question #4
Any advice on the following would be appreciated: Using OfficeXP on the pc, if I want to use Outlook's address book from Word to add an address to a envelope I am able to see all contact address's On my laptop, trying to do the same above I am only able to see contact address's that have where the contact has an email or fax number What setting do I need to change on the laptop so that I am able to see all contact address's TIA Tom ...

Printing in Vista

How do you customize the 'Print View'?

Tab control questions
Using Office 2003 and Windows XP; When using a tab control: 1) Does it wrap automatically so that the tabs are more than one layer deep if additional tabs are inserted? 2) Is there a way to control when the tabs wrap to a second row or where the break will occur or is this just automatic (i.e. whenever it runs out of room)? 3) I'm sure I won't get anywhere near it, but what is the limit on the number of tabs? Thanks in advance. On Dec 17, 10:45 am, XP <X...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Using Office 2003 and Windows XP; > > When using a tab control: > ...

Question about Name Order
Hi, I'm trying to help a friend out, but I couldn't track down anything on this: When clicking on Tools > Address Book, the names are listed first name first (John Smith). When typing in the search box, it searches on the first name. Is there any way to get this to work last name first instead? I've tried going into Tools > E-Mail Accounts, clicking "View or change existing directories or address books", and changing the properties of the address book. I have also gone to Tools > Options > Preferences and clicking "Contact Options". Neither o...

Printing problem

Print a report without displaying print preview
Hi, Please can someone tell me in a really basic way how can I print a report WITHOUT it also previewing. I'm using 2007 I have several forms which have a print button ( created with the command button wizard, report operations, print report, then relevant report is chosen to print). This works great, and prints the relevant report for the the associated record, however when you click the print button it also displays the print preview and doesn't close it again. This means that until the preview is closed the same thing keeps printing when the button is clicked....