Need advice on NT4 -> Server 2008 R2 upgrade

We currently have an NT4 domain but are looking at making the jump to
Server 2008 R2, A/D, etc. but we have some limitations on what can be
upgraded so I need some advice. Here is our current configuration:

* NT4 PDC and BDC
* All user workstations are Win XP SP3
* All file servers except for the PDC and BDC are Server 2003 Std
* There are about 10 process control workstations running Windows
2000. These can _NEVER_ change.
* There are a hundred or so NT4 workstations. These can _NEVER_
change.
* A few Linux systems that are running SAMBA and use the NT4 domain
for authentication.

From what I've read it looks like I have two options:

1. Get rid of the NT4 domain altogether and join the old NT4
workstations to the 2008R2 domain.
2. Create a new 2008R2 domain, add all the computers except the NT4
systems to it. Create a trust between the new A/D domain and the NT4
domain.

I would prefer the first option but am unsure of all the possible
problems. I have read about possible problems with NT4 authentication
in a 2008R2 domain even when the "allow NT4 encryption" is selected.
Also, I am unsure whether or not I can enable all A/D features to
manage the 2000/XP/2003/2008 computers when there are any NT4
computers present in the domain. Also, I plan on migrating all the
2003 servers to 2008R2.

Any advice would be appreciated.
0
JSmith

Hello JSmith,

See inline.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> We currently have an NT4 domain but are looking at making the jump to
> Server 2008 R2, A/D, etc. but we have some limitations on what can be
> upgraded so I need some advice. Here is our current configuration:
>
> * NT4 PDC and BDC
> * All user workstations are Win XP SP3
> * All file servers except for the PDC and BDC are Server 2003 Std
> * There are about 10 process control workstations running Windows
> 2000. These can _NEVER_ change.
> * There are a hundred or so NT4 workstations. These can _NEVER_
> change.
> * A few Linux systems that are running SAMBA and use the NT4 domain
> for authentication.
> From what I've read it looks like I have two options:
>
> 1. Get rid of the NT4 domain altogether and join the old NT4
> workstations to the 2008R2 domain.

One option, where you will use everything of the existing domain, user/group
accounts, preconfigured permissions on data etc. Think you will not really
want this? Upgrade the NT4 domain to Windows server 2003 Active directory
domain and then go on with migration to Windows server 2008 R2. This way
you can keep the domain configuration, except the system policies from NT4.

One option to keep in mind is the domain name, in NT4 very often is used
a single label domain name like DOMAIN, hopefully your is in the FQDN format
like DOMAIN.COM, if not you can use either domai rename(requires functional
level Windows server 2003) or ADMT to change the name and keep all preconfigured
settings.

> 2. Create a new 2008R2 domain, add all the computers except the NT4
> systems to it. Create a trust between the new A/D domain and the NT4
> domain.

Maybe in your case an option but still requires creating of all user/group
accounts new, users will use there profile settings, passwords etc.

> I would prefer the first option but am unsure of all the possible
> problems. I have read about possible problems with NT4 authentication
> in a 2008R2 domain even when the "allow NT4 encryption" is selected.

To use NT4 in a 2008 domain and higher see here:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=942564

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288358

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555038

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=946405

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731654(WS.10).aspx

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/winserverDS/thread/719e4557-24e3-4ce7-b70d-5738b3a5d5d1/

> Also, I am unsure whether or not I can enable all A/D features to
> manage the 2000/XP/2003/2008 computers when there are any NT4
> computers present in the domain. Also, I plan on migrating all the
> 2003 servers to 2008R2.

Strong advise, even you don't like it, get rid of the NT4 machines, you will
run into trouble, also there is no support since some years.

NT4 of course is not capable of AD or GPOs coming with Windows server 2000.
This will not have any influence of managaing the higher OS version with
GPOs from GPMC.
System policies as used in NT4 where not that user friendly as they do a
tattooing of the registry. So each setting has to be removed manual instead
of using GPOs, where most of the settigns change if you move the machine
to another OU.

New features coming with Windows 2008 R2 belong on the functional levels
of Active directory, which rely on the OS of the DCs. See here for more details:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771132(WS.10).aspx

Do you have any additional applications running like Exchange, SQL etc.?
Also for this you have to plan migration.

> Any advice would be appreciated.

0
Meinolf

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Excel need help

Need Help Linking Sheets

upgrade from office 2004 to 2008
hi upgraders, <br> are there any problems regarding the upgrade to 2008, esp. assuming all old data like emails, dates and so on ? <br> thanx In article <ee89959.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, realist01@officeformac.com wrote: > hi upgraders, <br> > are there any problems regarding the upgrade to 2008, esp. assuming all old > data like emails, dates and so on ? <br> You can read on these groups that there are some people who have had problems. Of course, the people that haven't had problems usually don't post! While Entourage 2008 will impor...

Macro help needed........

Need to test a mobo

Help needed

Need help on this....thanks

I need Help

need help badly

Need Help Despertly!

Plug in needed

Upgrade to Exchange 2003 SP2 Frontend/Backend
Hi, We're about to upgrade from Exchange 2003 SP1 to Exchange 2003 SP2. We're running multiple Exchange Clusters on Backend servers, and have to load balancing Frontend Servers. Can we do the upgrade step by ste. By that I mean upgrading the 2 Frontend servers and 1 cluster at one time, and 2 of the other clusters the next day.. Or do we have to do the upgrade in one operation? One of the reasons for the upgrade is to support windows mobile 5 devices. Can we use the function with SP2 installed only on the Frontend servers? Users who are going to use the active sync feature hav ma...

Need to Hire Outlook 2003 Help

Need Help with Excel and Flagging Outcomes!
I’m using Excel 2007, and here is my question… I want to put a formula in cell C3 that looks at outcomes in cell B3. If the raw score outcome in cell B3 has the following values, I would like cell C3 to provide the following words: IF: THEN: B3=Blank C3=Blank B3= Greater than 0-1.9 C3=Definitely False B3=2.0-2.9 C3=Mostly False B3=3.0-3.9 C3=Don’t Know B3=4.0-4.9 C3=Mostly True B3= 5.0 or greater C3=Definitely True Thank you for your help! Hi This should do it: =IF(B3=0,"",IF(B3<2,"Definet...

Which setting do I need to adjust
I've noticed that when using my default browser IE 8 and I click on a link that is suppose to start a download, it doesn't. When I click on the same link in firefox the download starts like it should. Can anyone tell me what setting in IE 8 is preventing the download from starting? on the page it says "Downloading: 50fpct-Just4freeplanet.com.rar | 34.7 MB" but in IE 8 it isn't downloading. It also isn't asking me if I want to allow IE 8 to download the file like it sometimes does. Thanks Shep wrote: > I've noticed that when using my d...

I really need help. Need a formula. Need it yesterday.
I'm new to Excel formulas, and I need one that is well beyond me at this stage, but probably a piece of cake for an Excel Wizard. I have a modest staffing schedule on Excel that shows several teams of employees with staffing requirements that may change every thirty minutes, as does the number of employees available in each team. I have the spreadsheet linked to another that provides the total, overall staffing requirement for each half hour, so that the total staffing requirement for each half-hour automatically loads to my staffing schedule. Likewise with the total number of emp...

need help! very urgently needed
i am using an Activex control in a dialog based applicaton(VC++). created an member variable for that(myportcontroller). In a non-stati function i am able to call the Activex control methods using the membe variable and worked fine. But i need to call the activex control method in an static function. Here i cannot use the member variable as it is static function. So, i declared an object for Activex control class Using that object i called the methods. I had no compile time error But i am getting run time assertion error as "winocc.cpp line:345". Ca anybody help? I need very urgen...

need to get my mail
how can i get my hot mail from here You can't, this is a newsgroup, it has nothing to do with email. -- -- "carlos" <bartlett_1974@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O$yffBZiKHA.1540@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > how can i get my hot mail from here Windows Mail doesn't support HTTP mail, which for a long time was the=20 only allowed access method for free Hotmail accounts. Earlier this year Microsoft enabled POP access for free Hotmail/Live/MSN accounts. Follow the settings given here: http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!CC9301187A51FE33!4...

Need Help Creating Directory
I am creating a membership directory for our church. When I try to do two columns it sets it up going left to right instead of down one column then the other. How do I get this done. I'm not sure how you managed that. Any chance you'd send it over to me and let me look at that? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Steve Cook" <SteveCook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C7DAB8B4-680E-4D46-A614-BB2FEC4ED35C@microsoft.com... >I am creating a membership directory for our church. When I try to do two > columns it sets it up going left t...

Need Char Comparer Help
Greetings, I'm writing some text-parsing code. I need to compare individual System.Char variables but need the option of ignoring case in the comparison. I need help in two areas. First, does anyone know a good way to compare characters ignoring case? I found a case insensitive comparer at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1394877/what-is-the-correct-way-to-compare-char-ignoring-case/1394909 but I'm not sure that's the best approach. Basically, he converts both characters to upper case (with every comparison). But I don't know if this is reliable and it was...