how to disable firewall

Hello everybody,
I made an error configuring firewall exceptions and after that the system
cannot run normally. Under rescue with limitated access I cann log in. I
thought to disable the firewall with netsh.exe on the command prompt. But
the command line does not recognize the command:

 "netsh is not recognized as internal or external command". I set the
path=C:\windows; C:\windows\system32 then it says: "The image
file C:\windows\system32\netsh.exe is valid but is for machine type other
than the current machine".
I have web server 2008 (64 bit).
Is there other possibility to disable firewall?
Thanks
Uwe

0
Uwe

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:41:51 +0200, "Uwe Conradi" <conradi@arcor.de>
wrote:

>Hello everybody,
>I made an error configuring firewall exceptions and after that the system
>cannot run normally. Under rescue with limitated access I cann log in. I
>thought to disable the firewall with netsh.exe on the command prompt. But
>the command line does not recognize the command:
>
> "netsh is not recognized as internal or external command". I set the
>path=C:\windows; C:\windows\system32 then it says: "The image
>file C:\windows\system32\netsh.exe is valid but is for machine type other
>than the current machine".
>I have web server 2008 (64 bit).
>Is there other possibility to disable firewall?
>Thanks
>Uwe

Have you tried right-clicking "Computer" and choosing "Manage?" The
Firewall settings can be accessed through the Server Manager page that
pops up. You can also manage the local Windows Firewall through
Control Panel.

DO you have a backup of the system? If so, you have the option of
running a restore.

Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
0
Ace
4/19/2010 2:08:16 PM
hello and thank you!

> Have you tried right-clicking "Computer" and choosing "Manage?" The
> Firewall settings can be accessed through the Server Manager page that
> pops up. You can also manage the local Windows Firewall through
> Control Panel.

If I click to firewall in the control panel then I get the message: "Due to
an undefined problem Windows could not display firewall settings."

> DO you have a backup of the system? If so, you have the option of
> running a restore.
Yes, I have a backup! But The Server Backup console from Administrative
Tools is not displayed. I am in recovery system mode, but I do not see how
to restore.
Uwe

0
Uwe
4/19/2010 5:42:16 PM
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 19:42:16 +0200, "Uwe Conradi" <conradi@arcor.de>
wrote:

>hello and thank you!
>

>> Have you tried right-clicking "Computer" and choosing "Manage?" The
>> Firewall settings can be accessed through the Server Manager page that
>> pops up. You can also manage the local Windows Firewall through
>> Control Panel.
>
>If I click to firewall in the control panel then I get the message: "Due to
>an undefined problem Windows could not display firewall settings."
>>
>> DO you have a backup of the system? If so, you have the option of
>> running a restore.
>Yes, I have a backup! But The Server Backup console from Administrative
>Tools is not displayed. I am in recovery system mode, but I do not see how
>to restore.
>Uwe

Uwe,

It may appear you locked yourself out.  However, I can't remember a
firewall setting that would lock a user out.

Have you looked in the registry? This is for XP, but the settings are
similar, if not the same.

How to Configure Windows Firewall in Windows XP Embeddedwith Service
Pack 2
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsembedded/standard/aa731196.aspx

Also, see if this helps:

Windows Firewall options are grayed out
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/resetfwpol.htm

Ace
0
Ace
4/20/2010 6:48:07 AM
hello!

> Have you looked in the registry? This is for XP, but the settings are
> similar, if not the same.

I do not have a subkey SharedAccess in
HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\

I do not believe, that the setting are similar. Where in the registry of
server 2008 is firewall configuration?

0
Uwe
4/20/2010 8:29:30 AM
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:29:30 +0200, "Uwe Conradi" <conradi@arcor.de>
wrote:

>hello!
>
>> Have you looked in the registry? This is for XP, but the settings are
>> similar, if not the same.
>>

>I do not have a subkey SharedAccess in
>HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\
>
>I do not believe, that the setting are similar. Where in the registry of
>server 2008 is firewall configuration?

Based on the first article I posted, looking at the path, I looked and
found it on both my 2008 and 2008 R2 servers in:

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\

and under that key, you will find:
DomainProfile
FirewallRules
PublicProfile
RestrictedServices
StandardProfile

Are you saying that key and subkeys do not exist in your 2008
installation?

Ace
0
Ace
4/20/2010 5:57:02 PM
> Are you saying that key and subkeys do not exist in your 2008
> installation?

Yes.
0
Uwe
4/21/2010 7:08:32 AM
>> Are you saying that key and subkeys do not exist in your 2008
>> installation?

Now I solved the problem! Thank you for your help! My difficulty was that I
loaded all the time the registry of the rescue system and there is no these
keys there! Then I learnt to load Hive - the system of my server as
temporary key. There I changed the setting so as you explained!
Thank you very much, you all for help! I am very happy now!
Uwe

0
Uwe
4/21/2010 9:13:27 PM
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 23:13:27 +0200, "Uwe Conradi" <conradi@arcor.de>
wrote:

>>> Are you saying that key and subkeys do not exist in your 2008
>>> installation?
>>>
>Now I solved the problem! Thank you for your help! My difficulty was that I
>loaded all the time the registry of the rescue system and there is no these
>keys there! Then I learnt to load Hive - the system of my server as
>temporary key. There I changed the setting so as you explained!
>Thank you very much, you all for help! I am very happy now!
>Uwe

I'm very h appy you figured it out. That was something I didn't think
of when you were mentioning Windows CE in your other post. It makes
sense that you would have to load the hive. I thought you were
directly on the machine.

I'm glad you figured it out!!

Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
0
Ace

Disable BU
A really quick one for you. If I disable a BU in MSCRM, does the corresponding OU in Active Directory become disabled? I think the answer probably 'No' as I actually cannot find a way to disable the OU manually and therefore cannot check, but if anyone has a definitive answer I would be grateful. Regards Peter John - thanks for your help. Regards Peter >-----Original Message----- >No, disabling BU in CRM will not disable corresponding OU in the AD, just like dissabling CRM user in CRM will not siable the corrsponding user in AD. > >"Pete" wrote: > &...

how can disable service with bat file
Hi, Please tell me, how can i disable service with bat file. What service? "Vijay" wrote: > Hi, > > Please tell me, how can i disable service with bat file. > Please tell me, how can i disable service with bat file. That's funny ... weren't we just talking about Permissions? :-) Anyway, the command to control a Windows Service (enable, start, stop, disable, etc) is SC.EXE. Run SC /? at a command prompt to see the syntax. Put the necessary SC command in a batch file, and you are all set. Hope it helps, Andrew -- amclar at ...

Print Preview "Prev Page" but is always disabled
Hello, I have created an MFC application and have added Printing and Print Preview capability. The only problem i have is that the Prev Page button on the Print Preview toolbar is always disabled. The "Two Pages" button and "Next Page" are enabled and work correctly. I am setting the CPrintInfo::SetMaxPage() and CPrintInfo::SetMinPage() and CPrintInfo::m_nCurPage values in OnPreparePrinting() but this doesnt seem to make a difference. Is their anything else that i can try which will enable this button? Thanks Andy ...

disable macro warning
I added macro which I then deleted. Every time I enter system it asks me if I want to disable or enable macros - how do I turn off this warning screen upon entering system when I have no macros in the worksheet? You need to remove the module that contained the macro. Press ALT+F11, go to View > Project Explorer (if needed), right-click on the module(s), and remove it. Save. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I added macro which I then deleted. Every time I enter >system it asks me if I want to disable or enable macros - >how do I turn off this warnin...

Disable sending Email
In Exchange 5.5 in an NT Domain, is there a way to disable an user from sending email? He should be able to open and read his email but not be able to send out email untill permitted. Thanks On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:01:03 -0800, "SI" <SI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In Exchange 5.5 in an NT Domain, is there a way to disable an user from >sending email? He should be able to open and read his email but not be able >to send out email untill permitted. > >Thanks You can do this on Internet mail by setting the Delivery Restriction on the IMS to deny mail...

SMTP being disabled
HI Exchange 2003 / Server 2003 I'm just having a world of problems with Exchange all of a sudden... It's been up and running about 2 months but all of a sudden it's going nuts... The SMTP service is being stopped and set to disabled. This is happening each morning around 1 AM. The only thing I can find in the event logs is event 7035 - The SMTP service was successfully sent a stop control and then Event 7040 - The start type of SMTP service was changed from auto start to disabled For the life of me, I can't find what is originating these commands.... I thought maybe t...

Disable Cached Mode
Hi all! Is there any way to disable Cached Mode (CM) on Exchange 2003? Sure, I can do it with GPO, but some computers can be out of scope of this GPO and then they will be able to turn on the CM in their Offce 2003. But CM is critical security risk and I have to disable it. At http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP010000781033.aspx?Product=out2003 I can read: "Exchange server administrators have the ability to disable this feature in Outlook. For more information, contact your Exchange server administrator. Additional information for administrators is available in the Mi...

Enable/Disable Macro Pop-Up
In the older version of Office when you opened an excel or other office document that had a macro in it - you would get a pop up and the opportunity to enable or disable it. Is there a way to get that same pop-up in 2007? See Help, macro setting Change macro security settings in Excel juamig wrote: > In the older version of Office when you opened an excel or other office > document that had a macro in it - you would get a pop up and the opportunity > to enable or disable it. Is there a way to get that same pop-up in 2007? > Right, someone else told me the...

Protecting sheet disables Grouping buttons
I am delivering a worksheet to a client, and have protected it. As well as stopping people changing the data, though, it also stops them using the Grouping buttons. How can I enable grouping on a protected sheet? If you already have the outline applied, you can protect the worksheet in code (auto_open/workbook_open??). Option Explicit Sub auto_open() With Worksheets("sheet1") .Protect Password:="hi", userinterfaceonly:=True .EnableOutlining = True .EnableAutoFilter = True End With End Sub (I wasn't sure what caused your outlining--...

Disable Trended Deposits
Does anyone know how to turn off trended deposits (forecasted) feature? If you press the customize option on the left hand side, you can change it to show budget entries instead of trends -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback especially if it's a UK specific wish. I do not respond to any unsolicited email regarding Money <a...

Disable username, password and domain prompt
Greetings... I currently have a network with computers running Windows 2000 with Outlook 2000 SR-1 and am in the process of upgrading the computers to Windows XP with Outlook 2002 SP3. One of my users has an issue where he has to type in his username, password, and the domain every time he opens up Outlook on the Windows XP machines, but never on the Windows 2000 machines. The option to uncheck the "Always prompt for username and password" box is not found on either version of Outlook, and he is set up for NT password authentication in his Outlook settings. Is there something else...

Disabling New Records on Forms in VB
Hi Everyone, I have designed a form which successfully supresses the ability to create new records by setting the AllowAdditions property to "No". The problem is that when I open the form using the code below the form once again allows additions and I can't figure out how to prevent this. I tagged the "Me.AllowAdditions = False" into the openargs section but to no avail. If anyone can spot the problem in my code I would be very grateful. Thanks, John ******* Start Code ******* Private Sub cmdView_Click() Dim stDocName As String Dim stLinkCriteria As ...

Disable page caching without disabling caching of jpegs and stylesheets etc
Hi, We have a data based web app that basically must not cache any of the pages as they contain real time data. I am currently using the following line in the page template on the PreInit event: Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.NoCache) Will this prevent things like Jpegs and CSS stylesheets from being cached as well? If so is there another way of doing this? Cheers, James JimLad wrote: > We have a data based web app that basically must not cache any of the > pages as they contain real time data. > > I am currently using the following line...

disable F1
Is there a way to disable the F1 Hot Key so that the Help Menu doesn't pop up? Place these in a standard module: Sub DisableF1() Application.OnKey "{F1}", "" End Sub Sub EnableF1() Application.OnKey "{F1}" End Sub HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to disable the F1 Hot Key so that the Help Menu doesn't pop up? >. > ...

Disabling users from deleting item in their inbox
Iam trying to figure out how to disallow certain users from deleting email from their inbox. I have a few users that delete item they are not supposed to and would like to know if i can disable them from doing so. Or is there a way to disable the empty deleted items? thanks Frank frank@interconnectnetworks.com <frank@interconnectnetworks.com> wrote: > Iam trying to figure out how to disallow certain users from deleting > email from their inbox. I have a few users that delete item they are > not supposed to and would like to know if i can disable them from > doing so. Or...

Some menu functions disabled
Hi I have just received an excel file that has a lot of the menu and tool bar options disabled. For example, in one of the sheets, rows 1-10 have been hidden but the option 'unhide' in the menu is disabled Any ideas? Hi maybe the file/worksheet is protected. Goto 'Tools - Protection' and unprotect it >-----Original Message----- >Hi > >I have just received an excel file that has a lot of the >menu and tool bar options disabled. > >For example, in one of the sheets, rows 1-10 have been >hidden but the option 'unhide' in the menu is disable...

disable public folder error
Exchange 5.5 sp4 - continue to get this RED event 1147 error: Error --- while disabling rule on public folder with rule ID 100. The folder ID of the public folder is in the data section of this event. there is no other information - how do I find out which public folder this belongs to? Nancy Stevens NStevens@tycoint.com I was looking this up and found that there may be an eventID 8528 somewhere before the 1147 events in the log that may shed light on what is causing the error. Based on what I read, seems like it may be a mailbox that is full. Hope that helps! -Iona -- Iona Wilson ...

How Best to Disable <ESC> Key on Form
My problem surrounds the <ESC> key function by design within Access. In my office we have a major departmental database being accessed by 20-30 users at any given time. 1. This is NOT an issue of the number of simultaneous users. 2. It IS a problem of users ACCIDENTALLY hitting <ESC> ocassionally while they are entering data into this database. + The users are using this database and another commercial database (non-Access, which has different functional use for the <ESC> key than in Access) toggling back and fort...

Business Portal 3.0 Extranet+Cisco PIX 5510ASA Firewall
Does anyone have info on what to open and how to open BP3.0 to the internet thru a CISCO PIX 5510ASA Firewall. If so I could use that info. Thanks The Business Portal Installation Guide explains which ports to open to deploy Business Portal in an extranet. The information is not specific to your firewall, but should still apply. Is there some other information that you need? -- Donna Marshall Technical Writer Microsoft Dynamics GP This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "rpotthoff" wrote: > Does anyone have info on what to ...

The macros in this project are disabled?
When I try to run my nice new VB code (which was running just fine until I saved the VBA project), I get a dialog that says: "The macros in this project are disabled. Please refer to online help or documentation of the host application to determine how to enable macros." Of course, neither of these resources were any help at all. What happened? Open TOOLS Select MACRO Select SECURITY Is it set to High? -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "Geoff Offermann" <gebobs@yahoo.nospam.com> wrote in message news:fCSyb.276756$275.987734@attbi_s53... When I try to run my ...

Exchange SP2 and Firewall Timeout
While reading up on SP2, I came across several times the changed needed in firewalls to have the timeout set to 15 to 20 minutes so that the DirectPush can be supported without draining the battery life due to reconnections over and over. Can anyone comment on their experiences with this? Our firewall manager is weary of making this change due to the fear of getting a DOS attack if the timeout is set so high. Can this be a exchange connection setting or does it have to be global? How would I respond to him. Thanks for your help! "GC Postmaster" <email_accounts@gordon....

Pub 2002 disabled MS Office 97 Clipart Function, Pls Help
Operation SYS: win98se has ms office 97 working nicely. but recent install of pub2002 makes clipart of office 97 completely not working at all. uninstalled both and reinstalled office 97, clipart still not working. Any advice to fix the abv problem? (* tested if I loaded office 2000 will have no problem) Thanks What version was your Gallery. If I remember correctly it was something like 3.0. There is an add-in here: http://www.publishermvps.com/Programming/AddIns/tabid/43/Default.aspx Scroll down. In your application, insert, object, scroll down to Microsoft Clip Gallery. You can use th...

I want to disable reminders
I rarely set myself time-sensitive reminders, so what I have to do is go back into every task I have just set and remove the reminder option. How can I set up Outlook so that it does not automatically set a reminder for all my tasks?Thanks! Hi, Reminders are automatically created when the Set reminders on tasks with due dates option is enabled for tasks. To resolve this issue, use the following steps to disable the Set reminders on tasks with due dates option: 1. Start Outlook. 2. On the Tools menu, click Options . 3. Click the Other tab, click Advanced Options , and then click Ad...

Want to disable save when macros are disabled
Am using an Excel workbook with macros which is located in a networked folder. If the user disables macros, then when he terminates the workbook he is automatically prompted to save the workbook to his local computer. Is there some way to defeat this behavior so the workbook is closed silently without the save prompt? Hi, Not with Macros disabled, no. You could use code to control what the user(s) see if they disable macros though. Here is an example: http://www.danielklann.com/excel/force_macros_to_be_enabled.htm HTH -- Regards, Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack) To e...

Disable an account without disabling email
I am running a Windows2000/Exchange2000 environment at a client of mine. They are a bank and due to some new regulations if a user is on vacation for 5 days or more the account must be disabled for security purposes. The problem is that when the account is disabled it also will not accept incoming mail and gives a rejection message to the sender. How can I disable to account in Active Directory without affecting their email? I don't know how to do what you want (I don't know if it is possible) but you could just deny them access to login to any machine. To do this I would go to...