Differential backups...

Hi,

I'm performing Full weekly backups, and daily Differential backups.

If I need to restore a single file that has been changed, since the last
Differential backup, do I only need the Differential backup?

I keep reading that you need the last FULL & Differential backups to restore
files, however, I believe this may only apply when I need a COMPLETE restore
or all files.

I just want to pull a file off a Diff backup that has changed from a day or
so ago, so I only need that Diff backup to restore this file, correct?

Thanks,

MP

Correct.

"Mrpush" <Mrpush@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm performing Full weekly backups, and daily Differential backups.
>
> If I need to restore a single file that has been changed, since the last
> Differential backup, do I only need the Differential backup?
>
> I keep reading that you need the last FULL & Differential backups to
> restore
> files, however, I believe this may only apply when I need a COMPLETE
> restore
> or all files.
>
> I just want to pull a file off a Diff backup that has changed from a day
> or
> so ago, so I only need that Diff backup to restore this file, correct?
>
> Thanks,
>
> MP

0
Dusko
5/18/2010 8:35:19 PM
Thanks very much.

"Dusko Savatovic" wrote:

> Correct.
>

> "Mrpush" <Mrpush@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm performing Full weekly backups, and daily Differential backups.
> >
> > If I need to restore a single file that has been changed, since the last
> > Differential backup, do I only need the Differential backup?
> >
> > I keep reading that you need the last FULL & Differential backups to
> > restore
> > files, however, I believe this may only apply when I need a COMPLETE
> > restore
> > or all files.
> >
> > I just want to pull a file off a Diff backup that has changed from a day
> > or
> > so ago, so I only need that Diff backup to restore this file, correct?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > MP
> >

> .

Yes. If you know when the file was changed, you can restore the file
from the previous differential backup (or the full backup if it hasn't
changed since then). If not, you need to search the backups for that
file name and decide which copy you want to restore...

Differential backups only back up files that have changed SINCE THE LAST
FULL BACKUP.

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Microsoft MVP
Windows Server - Directory Services
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/

On 5/18/2010 11:01 AM, Mrpush wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm performing Full weekly backups, and daily Differential backups.
>
> If I need to restore a single file that has been changed, since the last
> Differential backup, do I only need the Differential backup?
>
> I keep reading that you need the last FULL&  Differential backups to restore
> files, however, I believe this may only apply when I need a COMPLETE restore
> or all files.
>
> I just want to pull a file off a Diff backup that has changed from a day or
> so ago, so I only need that Diff backup to restore this file, correct?
>
> Thanks,
>
> MP

0
Hank

Make a Backup
I am using Randy Birch's CopyFileEx: Create a File Backup App Option Explicit Private Const FILE_ATTRIBUTE_DIRECTORY As Long = &H10 I am stuck as I cannot see why this line of code does not work:- 1. When they are equal 2. When they are not equal I am getting the same result nothing within the if statement is being called whether they are equal or not. 'if the object is not a folder.. If (WFDSource.dwFileAttributes And FILE_ATTRIBUTE_DIRECTORY) <> FILE_ATTRIBUTE_DIRECTORY Then other code end if When the WFDSource.dwFileAttributes is no...

Can't get money 2002 to open money 98 backup file.
I keep getting an message saying either it isn't a money file or the file is corrupted. I did this over and over on diff. floppies. Still the same. It is on our biz laptop we backup money 98 to a floppy, then to our pc in the office we try to restore and no go. Any clues? Pretty much tried everything possible here. Thanx Ben In microsoft.public.money, Ben wrote: >I keep getting an message saying either it isn't a money >file or the file is corrupted. I did this over and over on >diff. floppies. Still the same. It is on our biz laptop we >backup money 98 to a flo...

Backup copy
I want to make a backup copy of file from C:\Dir_try to F:\Dir_try. The following code is not working. Please help me to correct it. Shell Environ("comspec") & " /c copy " _ & Chr(34) & "C:\Dir_try\fundacf.xls F:\Dir_try\fundacf.xl" If you just want to copy a file you can use VBA FileCopy. FileCopy source, destination where both arguments are path strings/filenames -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Thank you, Brian I tried. It worked fine for a single file for each line. In fact, I was looking for a batch execu...

Exchange backup error
Exchange backup error If the Exchange Information store is backed up together with the Data partition, the exchange backup fails with this error in the backup log: The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Backup is already active. ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupSetup()' additional data '-'The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Functions called in an invalid sequence. ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupClose()' additional data '-' The operation was ended. Backup completed on <date> at <time>. Directories: 0 Fi...

Cannot backup
Using windows XP home, Outlook 2000. I utilize Microsoft 'backup' add-in for Outlook. Of late Outlook has been a tad finicky. Couple days last week either couldn't start or frooze when selected an email to view. Started in safe mode, worked fine after that. Also ran 'detect and repair'...no problems since. Now when the scheduled backup kicked in receieved message: 'Cannot copy Outlook: the file or directory is corrupted or unreadable' I have deleted the outcmd.dat file but still no luck. The only thing I have not done is delete the add-in and reinstall it. Any th...

how do i backup my mobile phone contacts on outlook 2007
Can anyone help please Is your mobile phone based on Windows Mobile 5/6 or some other type of mobile operating system? The reason I ask is that your phone may have come with syncronization software that lets it share its data with Microsoft Outlook. "badru12" <badru12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE82AF5F-F4F5-412D-8C38-9C53ED750E5E@microsoft.com... > Can anyone help please Neo Yes I have a Nokia phone and I believe there is Nokia PC suite that can be used (although I have never used it-not too comp lit am afraid) I understand I can transf...

Backup problem no more..??
I wrote a while back to ask about the backup problem of not limiting the number of backup files to the number set in the settings menu. I was told it was a bug. Since then I have purchased a 'Personal Media Drive' for my HP Pavilion and set the backup to this drive as opposed to the USB drive that I was backing up to (it kept filling up with backup files). Now the backup setting has taken hold!?!?!? It is set to 5 and it maintains 5 files. Any thoughts? RJH ...

Exchange 5.5 backup and restore
Hi all! Years ago, I purchased a Windows 2000 Server and Exchange Server 5.5 license for a non-profit project. The server (a PII 350 MHz) is becoming slower and slower and very unstable (IMS stops on a regular basis, and the server won't let me run (Internet) Explorer anymore,) and I want to do a complete re-install of the server. It is very important, that mail, calendar items, recipients, mail enabled public folders, AD objects etc. itsn't lost in the process, so before I start, I would like to hear how you would approach this problem. As a note, I should say that there is only th...

Outlook backup #4
I knew I was going to reformat my hard drive so I burned a copy of the Outlook.pst file to a CD-Rom. Now when I try to utilize the saved file I get the following error messages. "Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use." followed by "File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\backup.pst". Can anyone help? You must copy the file to your hard drive, right click, select Properties, and clear the Read Only checkbox. You cannot access a PST file on a CD. -...

Best Practice
Have two Dell 2600's, one is DC and other Exchange server. Running Windows 2003 Server and 2003 Exchange Standard editions. Have 20 Exchange users. Our question concerns the backup of the Exchange Server. What is the Best Practice for the backup & more importantly, the restore of the Exchange server? We have third party backup software, Veritas v9.1. Should we use just that or is there a backup routine within Exchange 2003 or use NT Backup in addition to the Veritas software? Any info will be welcomed. Thanks in Advance, Robert Villafranca VTS, Inc. I would suggest using...

Backup
I had Publisher set to Save Auto Recovery info every 10 minutes. I accidentally exited without saving and lost all the changes I had made. When I went to doc & set\username\appl data\MS\publisher to find the file there was nothing there. What did I do wrong & what can I do to prevent this happening again (besides not exiting without saving!)? Publ 2003 TIA, -- Donna in Idaho Open Windows explorer, type %temp% in the address bar, if the Publisher document isn't there then it is gone. Look for files that have a pub prefix, change the .tmp to .pub. Good luck. -- Mary S...

Differential backups...
Hi, I'm performing Full weekly backups, and daily Differential backups. If I need to restore a single file that has been changed, since the last Differential backup, do I only need the Differential backup? I keep reading that you need the last FULL & Differential backups to restore files, however, I believe this may only apply when I need a COMPLETE restore or all files. I just want to pull a file off a Diff backup that has changed from a day or so ago, so I only need that Diff backup to restore this file, correct? Thanks, MP Correct. "Mrpush...

Brick Level Backup
Hi all, I am considering configuring exmerge to carry out a Brick Level backup on certain mailboxes (not all) of my exchange 2003 server (around 20 of 150 Mailboxes). Exchange uses single instance architecture for attachment storage, ie one attachment stored in the database and one pointer to the attachment for each recipient of the attachment. Exmerge needs to extract all messages found on each of the mailbox pointers for the extract to .pst to be complete otherwise it would export a lot of pointers to attachments but not the attachment itself. If I do not merge the extracted PST'...

Money online/backup
I have just recently opened my money online account for backup. i have been backing up to a usb for ages but i decided it would be easier if i just had the balances all in one place. i still have my backup on the usb but i find i can't get to it because everytime i want to access it money wants me to sign in to money online and the accounts have not been transferred to the online account yet. they are still on the usb. the result is a catch 22. i can't access my balances on my usb and there are no balances in the account (online) that i can access. I also cannot access my usb ...

how differentiate between 3 closely spaced lines in excel graph
How do i change the excel chart features such that the 3 series /lines i have are spaced further apart when displayed in a line graph. I think it must be something to do with scales but tried variations to no effect. Thanks Mike Hi, Changing the y axis Minimum and maximum scale values may help. But not if the actual values are very similar and span a large range. Double click the y axis and on the scale tab enter alternative min/max values. Cheers Andy CookeMJ wrote: > How do i change the excel chart features such that the 3 series /lines i have > are spaced further apart when ...

Differentiation
Is there a way to calculate the derivative of a function in Excel -- DavidObei ----------------------------------------------------------------------- DavidObeid's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=223 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27436 No, Excel does not do symbolic algebra -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in email address "DavidObeid" <DavidObeid.1f2dtt@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:DavidObeid.1f2dtt@excelforum-nospam.com... > > Is there a ...

personal folder backup
I need to rebuild my machine and want to back up my outlook folders and contacts database. I downloaded outlook backup from the ms website and performed the install ... all seemed to go well. I then restarted Outlook, but the 'backup' link is not there under the 'file' tab (as the documentation suggests). Any ideas ? I have also tried to use archive, but it removes all items from the folders as it archives ... is this ok? thanks I have not used the Microsoft Backup option but if it is any help to you, I do weekly back up's of my personal folder file.(including t...

Backup file #2
How do I create a backup file to be stored at different directory? How to specify the directory that I want the backup file to be stored? Thanks, Tom Try Tools - Options - Save. This will automatically save a copy of your file every x minutes to the directory of your choice. HTH -- Sincerely, Michael Colvin "tkanasoot@yahoo.com" wrote: > How do I create a backup file to be stored at different directory? How to > specify the directory that I want the backup file to be stored? > > Thanks, > Tom Do I need to set up my file to always create backup? Does this...

Exchange Front End Backup Frequency
Server 2003 Enterprise Front End and Back End Exchange 2003 Standard 2003 AD native/native Front end has empty store mounted for SMTP forwarding. What frequncy would you recommend backing up the front end server since it holds no real changing data? Can I get away with once every week? (hopefully) Backend has sufficient backups every day in place. Thanks for your help, Harry On Sat, 20 May 2006 10:34:14 -0400, "Harry Bates" <harry@NOSPAMrocksystems.net> wrote: >Server 2003 Enterprise Front End and Back End >Exchange 2003 Standard >2003 AD native/native &...

Exmerge Backup
hi we have exchange 2003 on and windows 2003 server. i login as administrator and i want to take backup of all the mailbox that are present useing Exmerge. but Exmerge doesnt recomend to change the permissions of administrator (recieve as and send as permissions which are denyed by default) . i have created a user who has admin previlages and i have created security group with receive and send as permissions set and made this user a memeber of that serurity group. now how do i run exmerge do i have to login to windows using this login or how how do i login to exchange with this user...

Backup OneNote files to CD
I lost a lot of my one note files when I purchased a new computer. I put them on CD but could not restore them from CD. I did not use the backup facility, as I am a new user of onenote and was unaware of this function. I now use back up regularly. My question is: is this the correct way to save files so I can put them on a CD and be able to restore them back in onenote should the need arise? I don't want to take a chance of losing any more files. -- John -------- Original-Nachricht -------- > I lost a lot of my one note files when I purchased a new computer. I put ...

Best practice .pst files on network shares for backup purposes
We encourage our users to periodically move their e-mail items from the users mailbox to a .pst folder thus preventing their exchange mailboxes from 'growing bigger and bigger. Those .pst files resided in the C:\Documents and Settings\{user profile name}\Local folders but because we had a couple of problems with users with a corrupt / lost .pst file and the fact that we don't have backups of their local disks we decided to put the .pst files on a network share. This way we'd always have a backup on tape of the file in case something went wrong But it seems Microsoft doesn't a...

Backup always
How can I configure Excel so that when it opens ANY file (EXCEL), and save, it will 'Always Create Backups'. That is, want the default behavior for Excel to save a back of any file it saves; not just new ons, and not want to have to check every file before saving, please. (Used to be able to do this:~( You could try something like this, Michael: http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=456 ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "Michael Sullivan" <Michael Sullivan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message new...

Exchange backup failing! Backup exec 10d and Windows backup
Hi I've got a 2 node active/passive Exchange 2003 cluster on Windows Server 2003, all fully service packed up which so far has been backing up just fine. I have 3 storage groups with several mailbox stores in each. I take a full backup on Friday night and Mon-Thu are incremental. Just recently, the backup jobs for the information stores is failing on one particular storage group. The backup exec 10.d error states: e000030c - Exchange failed to return any log files when backing up the database. For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-780 But the V-79....

Differential backups and restores
Hi, Are differential backups and restores of SQL GP company databases supported with Dynamics GP 9 and later? Neil No they are not. At this time, only full backups of your data is supported. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com "Neillin" wrote: > Hi, > > Are differential backups and restores of SQL GP company databases supported > with Dynamics GP 9 and later? > > Neil ...