Considering Virtualization

Hello Newgroup,

We need to upgrade our 4 year old SBS box.  I am totally new to
virtualization and wondering if these circumstances warrant making the jump.
We've got approx 30 users, and approx 75 mailboxes.  We don't run anything
extra.  We're nonprofit, which means that MS licensing costs are negligable,
but it also means that our IT budget is tiny - I'm here approx 10 hours a
week for general support, higher level needs get outsourced.

I had been considering the following path:

> Get a new server, without a tape drive (old server's tape drive recently
> replaced)
> Put Server 2008 and Exchange 2010 on new box.
> Migrate (either manually or with a tool) users and data to new server.
> Wipe old server, install Server 2008, let it run backups and antivirus.

But it's been suggested that I consider instead the following path:

> Get a new server (with ample RAM and processing power).  Install Win 2008
> Server core, with HyperV.
> Do a P2V migration of our old SBS install onto a new VM on the new
> machine.
> When we're ready, create a new VM for 2008, migrate AD and data from SBS
> VM.
> Possibly also create VMs to separate out Exchange to its own install,
> maybe also add a Blackberry server?
> Then, how to use old server - still let it run backukps and AV?

As I said, IT hours are precious few for this organization.  Would the labor
be similar between the two paths?  Are these my advantages for
virtualization:

> Easier disaster recovery
> Would it benefit us to be able to have a separate VM on the same machine
> for Exchange?  Wouldn't it still rely on the same amount of resources as
> it would if it were included with 2008, and installed directly on the
> machine?
> Ability to Q/A hasn't really been a factor- once we're set up we tend to
> stay that way.

I'm game to try this, if it makes business sense, but don't want the
additional learning curve if it's just technology for technology's sake.
Not sure if my list of advantages makes it worth the time.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Matthew

0
Matthew

Matthew wrote:
> I'm game to try this, if it makes business sense, but don't want the
> additional learning curve if it's just technology for technology's sake.

I'm not hearing a compelling reason to migrate to virtualization.
Virtualization would be good if you have multiple systems you want to
consolidate to one system.

The only real reason that I see in what you have provided is the ability
to keep the old SBS system around as a VM.  However, SBS is funny in the
fact that it wants to control the network.  So, either the SBS VM would
be the DC, or it won't be on in the same domain as the new server.

Don't get me wrong, virtualization is great when used for the proper
reasons.

2k8 includes Hyper-V and can be added at any time when wanted / needed.

I would suggest that you not use this server migration as the learning
curve for virtualization with out having messed with it at least on a
workstation before.  Wait until you have an actual need.

> Not sure if my list of advantages makes it worth the time.

I'm not seeing any real advantage in the scenario that you have
described.  The only thing that suggests using a separate VM to me is
possibly putting a Blackberry Enterprise Server in a VM.  Even then,
that VM could run on top of 2k8 running on raw hardware.

Grant. . . .
0
Grant
4/20/2010 11:26:43 PM
There are valid reasons to virtualize, but they aren't compelling in your
case, UNLESS you think you're going to want to run a Terminal Server or have
a need to run SQL Server. In either case, you're going to need two servers,
and virtualization makes sense.

With your current plan, you should be considering SBS 2008, not standalone
Windows Server, if you want to stay on a non-virtualized single box.
Exchange on your domain controller, all in one box, is really an SBS
solution, not a standalone one. On the other hand, if you want to move to
standalone products, then virtualization makes sense since it allows you to
put Exchange on a separate server while still only buying a single physical
box.

Virtualizing your old SBS box makes little sense, IMO. What business need do
you have for virtualizing it? What do you gain by doing so?

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Matthew" <adminNOSPAM@sa-intl.org> wrote in message
> Hello Newgroup,
>
> We need to upgrade our 4 year old SBS box.  I am totally new to
> virtualization and wondering if these circumstances warrant making the
> jump. We've got approx 30 users, and approx 75 mailboxes.  We don't run
> anything extra.  We're nonprofit, which means that MS licensing costs are
> negligable, but it also means that our IT budget is tiny - I'm here approx
> 10 hours a week for general support, higher level needs get outsourced.
>
> I had been considering the following path:
>
>> Get a new server, without a tape drive (old server's tape drive recently
>> replaced)
>> Put Server 2008 and Exchange 2010 on new box.
>> Migrate (either manually or with a tool) users and data to new server.
>> Wipe old server, install Server 2008, let it run backups and antivirus.
>
> But it's been suggested that I consider instead the following path:
>
>> Get a new server (with ample RAM and processing power).  Install Win 2008
>> Server core, with HyperV.
>> Do a P2V migration of our old SBS install onto a new VM on the new
>> machine.
>> When we're ready, create a new VM for 2008, migrate AD and data from SBS
>> VM.
>> Possibly also create VMs to separate out Exchange to its own install,
>> maybe also add a Blackberry server?
>> Then, how to use old server - still let it run backukps and AV?
>
> As I said, IT hours are precious few for this organization.  Would the
> labor be similar between the two paths?  Are these my advantages for
> virtualization:
>
>> Easier disaster recovery
>> Would it benefit us to be able to have a separate VM on the same machine
>> for Exchange?  Wouldn't it still rely on the same amount of resources as
>> it would if it were included with 2008, and installed directly on the
>> machine?
>> Ability to Q/A hasn't really been a factor- once we're set up we tend to
>> stay that way.
>
> I'm game to try this, if it makes business sense, but don't want the
> additional learning curve if it's just technology for technology's sake.
> Not sure if my list of advantages makes it worth the time.
>
> Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
>
> Matthew

0
Charlie

report timeout in CRM 1.2 on virtual pc (notebook)
Hi, I prepared images of mscrm 1.2 for virtual pc. On two desktop machines with 1 gig of memory, everything works fine. On a -besides this very performant- notebook with same memory specs, I get timeouts in crystal report viewer (nothing is shown and after a long while, an error message shows in the "html page" where the report should be). I increased timeout value on the "microsoft crm" II server app virtual directory to ..1800 or more: No chance. Did anyone see this happen? Any hint to resolve this? It seems to me like the disk access spped, which is much slower than on...

Virtual Accounts?
Hi all, I would love to be able to create some 'virtual accounts' but I am not sure of firstly if it can be done and secondly how to do it. Basically I put away amounts each month for certain expenses but dont want t o have a bank account for each expenditure in order to see how much is curre ntly available for that category. I would prefer just to have one account a nd lump all the items together and then using Money have it break the curren tly levels of each down for me. e.g I put aside 100 per month for car tags. Since the car tags are only due once a year, I want to be able...

SW RAID-1 On Storage Virtual MiniPort
Hi, I want to develop a SW RAID-1 using Storage Virtual MiniPort driver, I hope this driver can choose two disks from system by using SCSI command, then reports a RAID-1 disk to system, is this idea could be accomplished by Storage Virtual MiniPort driver? If this idea is ok, what type of certification it need to pass from Microsoft? Regards, Perer, Hi all, I need the suggestion urgently, please give me a help, thanks. Regrads, Peter, "Peter" <peter_hsu@vasstek.com.tw> �b�l�� news:u8N5usgtKHA.3360@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl �����g... > Hi,...

Virtual PC attributes for Mac running intel.
I have subscribed to a business newspaper that only produces graphs using activeX. With my macbook running intel I cannot view the graphs or take advantage of other features. Is there a product or a feature that will allow me to emulate a PC? I am using Office 2004 Student Teacher edition. Thanks in advance for your help. Dan In article <1181949056.659823.159420@o61g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, "Dan@roseconsulting.biz" <Dan@roseconsulting.biz> wrote: > I have subscribed to a business newspaper that only produces graphs > using activeX. With my macbook runnin...

Windows OS to Mac OS applications considered upgrade license?
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel I have office 2007 for windows now and I recently switch to a macbook pro and now I want to get office 2008 for mac. Would this fall under an upgrade? Your upgrade version requirements do not explicitly mention anything about switching from one OS to another. (and no, I didn't abandon you MSFT, I still run Vista in parallels but I don't want to run office in parallels) Thx! On 4/18/08 4:03 PM, in article ee98dde.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "bblew@officeformac.com" <bblew@officeformac.com> wrote: > Operati...

Exchange 2003 virtual server config
Currently my existing mail server has 1 SMTP virual server with settings: Authentication: yes Anonymous, no resolve anonymous email, no basic authetication, yes integrated windows authentication. Connection: All except list below, list is empty Relay: Only list below, list contains an old (now) unused IP, no allow all computers which successfully authenticate, regardless of list above. Users: Authenticated Users can submit and relay. This results in my server denying all SMTP connections to clients such as Outlook, Outlook Express, and 3rd part SMTP senders like Backup Exec or What's up...

Considering Great Plains.. need an assist :)
Ok, I have a client who is in the mail order business. 90% of everything they do is by mail order; but come January 1, they must be EDI compliant. Right now, they are using MOM (Mail Order Manager) across ten workstations which are their "answer lines" where people pick up 1-800 number and take the orders. They also use it for inventory management, etc. But that product has no plans of going EDI, and they have pretty much no choice but switch. So, we've been looking at several options (MAS200, Great Plans, etc.) but I'm really interested in hearing the end-user inpu...

Considering Virtualization
Hello Newgroup, We need to upgrade our 4 year old SBS box. I am totally new to virtualization and wondering if these circumstances warrant making the jump. We've got approx 30 users, and approx 75 mailboxes. We don't run anything extra. We're nonprofit, which means that MS licensing costs are negligable, but it also means that our IT budget is tiny - I'm here approx 10 hours a week for general support, higher level needs get outsourced. I had been considering the following path: > Get a new server, without a tape drive (old server's tape drive recen...

intranet & wan (Web) access to MSCRM: Any security issues to consider?
Hello all, are there any properties of mscrm -when deployed for access through a company intranet or WAN- that you would consider a big security issue? The aim is web access in a multi site company environment in first place, dial-in SFO access would come second. Any big problem causing or unresolvable server/browser/firewall/scripting/activex/vpn etc.. drawbacks? Answers could be "mscrm is definitively NOT usable IF [..]" or "does only work IF [..]" ;-) Sorry for beeing unspecific at this point and thanks anyway for your appreciated comments! Achim No major...

Explain SMTP Virtual Server to me please!!
For some reason, I can't seem to get it to work correctly. Currently, we have two Exchange 2003 Enterprise servers in the same group. I basically have an out-of-the-box configuration with one exception - I am using an SMTP Connector to route outgoing mail. It is my understanding that the default SMTP servers are used to route mail back and forth between the two Exchange servers and route outgoing mail. But if I have an SMTP Connector setup, outgoing internet mail is routed through that, but inter-Exchange mail is still handled by the Virtual SMTP Server. Am I correct so far? Here'...

SMTP Virtual Server Settings --- Lots of Sessions and Junk in Queu
Hello, I'm relatively new to managing Exchange 2003 and Exchange in general. Our mail server is up and running, we have a single Exchange 2003 server. it is behind a managed router, which uses NAT to send the external IP requests to the internal server on an internal IP. We have Outlook mail clients connected. At this time when looking at logs, our router is processing 1000+ requests from our mail server IP outbound on port 25. When I look at System Manager, I see tons of junk addresses in the queue as well as strange looking sessions under the SMTP virtual server current s...

To consider for upgrade
1. It is posible, The Extended Cost Field in Purchase Orders round a 2 Decimal when setting the computer to 4 or more decimal? 2. It is posible the Cost Field in Purchase Orders can have 6 decimal numbers? Thanks, Wilfredo ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the mess...

Considering Microsoft CRM 3.0
The company I work for is considering upgrading CRM and Microsoft's CRM 3.0 is one we are considering. I thought instead of sales guys telling me what I want to hear, I'd ask the people who use it every day. If anyone could offer any opinions on the following, it would be greatly appreciated. -Importing data from a previous (non-Microsoft) CRM. Currently we use Clientele by Epicor (SQL back end) -How does the application handle multiple languages? Also secondly, how does programmatic modifications get translated to the new languages? -Limits. We currently have 40,000+ contac...

What file extensions are considered to be executable?
Folks I''m looking at cleaning up some logic dealing with starting up an exe via Shell. I'm wondering what other file extensions are considered to be executable? Obviously exe. What about com, bat, cmd and possibly vbs? That said who creates coms these days? Also I think pif and scr but those I will ignore as they aren't relevant to me and are more virus file extensions these days. There are so many hits on Shell at MSDN i don't know where to start. Thanks, Tony -- Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granit...

OMA/ActiveSync Virtual Directory missing in ESM
Hi, I have an Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition Active/Passive cluster with two nodes running on Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition. This setup was upgraded from Exchange 2000 Enterprise Edition Active/Passive Cluster (2-nodes) running on Windows 2000 Advanced Server. The upgrade was done a few months back and things have run relatively smooth. I just noticed that the two virtual directories for OMA and Microsoft-Server-Active-Sync are missing from the ESM and from IIS. I searched everywhere and could not find a single article that talked about how to restore these virtuals on a clustered...

When you get bored of all the options that you have in your wardrobe and want to add some interesting yet smart options to it, purple may be a color worth considering. Even though the first thought
When you get bored of all the options that you have in your wardrobe and want to add some interesting yet smart options to it, purple may be a color worth considering. Even though the first thought that may come to your mind while reading this is that the author is out of his mind, read on and think again. Many people are choosing to adopt the unconventional purple because it makes an elegant and strong fashion statement. http://www.replicab2b.net http://www.replicab2b.net/Replica_Wallets_1.html http://www.replicab2b.net/Replica_Jewelrys_1.html http://www.replicab2b.net/Replica_Shoes_1.html...

Recovery Virtual server....
I want to create a virtual test lab/recovery environment for my domain. has anyone else done this in the past? i am think of creating this on a segmented network with exact replicas of my DC and exchange server. although i have a question about recovering databases to this test environment, would i basically need to install my backup software on a machine in the test lab and restore that way... im a little confused on what the best way to do this would be. thanks. Yes on the backup software. The problem might be connecting it to your tape library. Make sure that the network is completely...

Default SMTP Virtual Server #3
If e-mail is getting stuck in a queue, and as part of trouble-shooting, you try and Stop the Default SMTP Virtual Server...you should be able to do that, right? You should be able to Stop it and Re-start it, right? If you can't stop it, does that indicate there is something wrong with the SMTP engine? I get a "white screen" when I try and stop it. Then I have to re-start the server, and manually start it. Then it works fine. Boolean1 Depending on the load and number of messages in queue it might take a while for VS to stop and start. How long have you waited for VS...

Virtual smtp domains on one IP address
Can I host several domains email on one exchange server with one IP address only? Yes, but you cannot have more than one SMTP Virtual Server using the same IP and Port Number combination. -- Mark Fugatt Microsoft Exchange MVP www.exchangetrainer.com www.msexchange.org "fredd" <cxdsew32@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4A1E3E7D-9513-4AD2-B082-688EDE4C28FD@microsoft.com... > Can I host several domains email on one exchange server with one IP > address only? We want to host OWA only email for several domains. If the port is changed will we still receive email fr...

Outlook-Low Virtual Memory (lockup)
Outlook no longer will boot up-I get a "VIRTUAL MEMORY MINIMUM TOO LOW" The computer locks up-This only started last week-what steps should I take to correct...Thanks! Mark (currenty using outlook express as back up) Mark W wrote: > Outlook no longer will boot up-I get a "VIRTUAL MEMORY > MINIMUM TOO LOW" The computer locks up-This only started > last week-what steps should I take to correct...Thanks! > Mark (currenty using outlook express as back up) Perhaps you're running low on RAM. Make sure you close programs that are currently running th...

SMTP virtual server certificate wizard does not start
I am planning to implement TLS. I have got the certificate already. But when i try to import the certificate from Site->server->protocols->smtp->default SMTP virtual server (from properties)-->Access-->Certificate, the wizard does not start. No error, nothing happens. Any idea what is happening? I am able to import the certiicate on another server successfully but not on this server. IIS console problem? -Regards ...

Considering SBF
Hi, I am considering switching to SBF. I've had it with the bottom-end systems. Can I buy SBF without having to pay a VAR for implementation? I'm a former CPA and used to do accounting system implementations, for my living (Platinum, MAS90, etc.). I've got a demo version of SBF and have poked around at length and think I can get it going myself. (This will be the third system for our small business.) Are there VARs out there that will sell me keys without me having to explain why I don't want to engage their implementation services? Can I buy support direct from M...

Considering upgrading to Outlook 2003
I'm considering upgrading to Outlook 2003 from Outlook 2000. Have a few questions: 1. How can I transfer my comprehensive Outlook 2000 contacts, calendar data, and dozens of user folders (they display only when I choose Folder View)? I have a significant amount of key data that I can't lose. 2. Can find nothing on the subject, but may I use Outlook 2003 as a news reader? 3. Because of Outlook 2003's new XML coding, can I send email to other persons who aren't using Outlook 2003? Am thinking about the folks who use Outlook 2000, OE6, and AO...

Virtualize Exchange 2000?
I'm new to these boards, so forgive me if I'm not in the correct place for this. I'm the new all around IT guy for a small company, and we're about to set up a new W2k3 R2 server. We have that running the 2k3 trial currently, just hosting a couple files until we get the full OS in. Our system consists of 3 servers: Dell - Dual Xeons, 2gb ram, brand new Compaq - Newish PIII, 768 ram - Domain Controller, Exchange 2000 Server Old Compaq - PIII 600, 256 Ram, Current File/Print, DNS, DHCP server, Primary Domain Controller The boss wants all the main domain services moved to the ...

Considering CRM
Were currently considering implementing CRM vs. Salesforce.com vs. ACT 10. Finding comparisons online is limited. Can anyone offer a quick review if you've switched to CRM from one of these other options, and why did you switch? Thanks in advance. -- Dave S Hi Dave , You need to define your Business Requirements and budget .It can help us to give you the feedback. OR you can find a consultancy company which is providing services in these particular CRM products . You can also contact microsoft might be they can provide you some case studies . /Aamir Hi Dave, We considered ...