Basic questions

Hello, I have never seen or used Windows Server and I have a few basic
questions before switching Windows XP Pro into WS 2008 R2.

Will I be able to install and use other softwares normally as if I was using
Windows XP? I have other servers I would like to use with it and I need to
know in advance if they will be 100% compatible:

Oracle XE 10g
MySQL (latest version)
Apache 2.2
FileZilla server
Windows Media Player 12 sharing
Ultra VNC

So, please let me know if the above software would be OK and besides that, I
would have to test some programs I develop by myself, so I need to know if
WS would behave just like Windows XP  (ie. Windows registry access, file
access, windows api functions, etc).

Thanks in advance.

0
TMA

Hello TMA,

This belongs to the application vendors not to Microsoft, so please use their
support.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> Hello, I have never seen or used Windows Server and I have a few basic
> questions before switching Windows XP Pro into WS 2008 R2.
>
> Will I be able to install and use other softwares normally as if I was
> using Windows XP? I have other servers I would like to use with it and
> I need to know in advance if they will be 100% compatible:
>
> Oracle XE 10g
> MySQL (latest version)
> Apache 2.2
> FileZilla server
> Windows Media Player 12 sharing
> Ultra VNC
> So, please let me know if the above software would be OK and besides
> that, I would have to test some programs I develop by myself, so I
> need to know if WS would behave just like Windows XP  (ie. Windows
> registry access, file access, windows api functions, etc).
>
> Thanks in advance.

0
Meinolf
5/17/2010 5:20:51 AM
TMA,

You are asking somebody else to do your homework.

You may start by downloading evaluation instalation media (.iso) files.
You may also test on-line by completing some on-line Windows Virtual labs.
You may download vhd files that run inside free Hyper-V Server or eval/full
Windows Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V role.

You may also hire a professional who will do your testing for a fee.

DuskoS

"TMA" <tma@tmasoftwares.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I have never seen or used Windows Server and I have a few basic
> questions before switching Windows XP Pro into WS 2008 R2.
>
> Will I be able to install and use other softwares normally as if I was
> using Windows XP? I have other servers I would like to use with it and I
> need to know in advance if they will be 100% compatible:
>
> Oracle XE 10g
> MySQL (latest version)
> Apache 2.2
> FileZilla server
> Windows Media Player 12 sharing
> Ultra VNC
>

> So, please let me know if the above software would be OK and besides that,
> I would have to test some programs I develop by myself, so I need to know
> if WS would behave just like Windows XP  (ie. Windows registry access,
> file access, windows api functions, etc).
>
> Thanks in advance.

0
Dusko
5/17/2010 9:53:10 AM
On May 16, 9:18=A0pm, "TMA" <t...@tmasoftwares.com> wrote:
> Hello, I have never seen or used Windows Server and I have a few basic
> questions before switching Windows XP Pro into WS 2008 R2.
>
> Will I be able to install and use other softwares normally as if I was us=
ing
> Windows XP? I have other servers I would like to use with it and I need t=
> know in advance if they will be 100% compatible:
>
> Oracle XE 10g
> MySQL (latest version)
> Apache 2.2
> FileZilla server
> Windows Media Player 12 sharing
> Ultra VNC
>
> So, please let me know if the above software would be OK and besides that=
, I
> would have to test some programs I develop by myself, so I need to know i=
> WS would behave just like Windows XP =A0(ie. Windows registry access, fil=
> access, windows api functions, etc).
>
> Thanks in advance.

yes
0
mcnewsxp
5/17/2010 3:37:57 PM
As I said, I have absolutely NO idea of what Windows Server is all about.
I was just asking if the mentioned software would be compatible and if it
would behave like any other OS like Windows XP Pro.
In case positive, I will download the .iso and install it.

Thanks for the reply.

"Dusko Savatovic" <savatovic@nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message
> TMA,
>
> You are asking somebody else to do your homework.
>
> You may start by downloading evaluation instalation media (.iso) files.
> You may also test on-line by completing some on-line Windows Virtual labs.
> You may download vhd files that run inside free Hyper-V Server or
> eval/full Windows Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V role.
>
> You may also hire a professional who will do your testing for a fee.
>
> DuskoS
>

> "TMA" <tma@tmasoftwares.com> wrote in message
>> Hello, I have never seen or used Windows Server and I have a few basic
>> questions before switching Windows XP Pro into WS 2008 R2.
>>
>> Will I be able to install and use other softwares normally as if I was
>> using Windows XP? I have other servers I would like to use with it and I
>> need to know in advance if they will be 100% compatible:
>>
>> Oracle XE 10g
>> MySQL (latest version)
>> Apache 2.2
>> FileZilla server
>> Windows Media Player 12 sharing
>> Ultra VNC
>>

>> So, please let me know if the above software would be OK and besides
>> that, I would have to test some programs I develop by myself, so I need
>> to know if WS would behave just like Windows XP  (ie. Windows registry
>> access, file access, windows api functions, etc).
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

0
TMA
5/17/2010 4:22:00 PM
If you have no idea what Windows server is about then you should pick up
some training or read some text book on the subject first, before committing
yourself to buying and installing it. Without sound knowledge you either
waste your time and money (at best) or you cause a disaster at your
workplace (at worst). Running a server without being suitably trained is
like driving a bus while having only an ordinary car driver's licence. A lot
of people might depend on you.

> As I said, I have absolutely NO idea of what Windows Server is all about.
> I was just asking if the mentioned software would be compatible and if it
> would behave like any other OS like Windows XP Pro.
> In case positive, I will download the .iso and install it.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> "Dusko Savatovic" <savatovic@nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message
>> TMA,
>>
>> You are asking somebody else to do your homework.
>>
>> You may start by downloading evaluation instalation media (.iso) files.
>> You may also test on-line by completing some on-line Windows Virtual
>> labs.
>> You may download vhd files that run inside free Hyper-V Server or
>> eval/full Windows Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V role.
>>
>> You may also hire a professional who will do your testing for a fee.
>>
>> DuskoS
>>

>> "TMA" <tma@tmasoftwares.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello, I have never seen or used Windows Server and I have a few basic
>>> questions before switching Windows XP Pro into WS 2008 R2.
>>>
>>> Will I be able to install and use other softwares normally as if I was
>>> using Windows XP? I have other servers I would like to use with it and I
>>> need to know in advance if they will be 100% compatible:
>>>
>>> Oracle XE 10g
>>> MySQL (latest version)
>>> Apache 2.2
>>> FileZilla server
>>> Windows Media Player 12 sharing
>>> Ultra VNC
>>>

>>> So, please let me know if the above software would be OK and besides
>>> that, I would have to test some programs I develop by myself, so I need
>>> to know if WS would behave just like Windows XP  (ie. Windows registry
>>> access, file access, windows api functions, etc).
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.

0
Pegasus
5/17/2010 6:08:04 PM
On Mon, 17 May 2010 20:08:04 +0200, "Pegasus [MVP]"
<news@microsoft.com> wrote:

>If you have no idea what Windows server is about then you should pick up
>some training or read some text book on the subject first, before committing
>yourself to buying and installing it. Without sound knowledge you either
>waste your time and money (at best) or you cause a disaster at your
>workplace (at worst). Running a server without being suitably trained is
>like driving a bus while having only an ordinary car driver's licence. A lot
>of people might depend on you.

I'll agree with Pegasus... but add some more info for you: A server is
no place to run applications. You can, most do work. But, it's the
wrong environment. A server has an intended purpose - if you want it
to be fast and work well as a server, keep applications off it and use
it for what it was intended for.

That said: very few application software packages and/or hardware
drivers come with Windows Server software listed as "compatible"
unless they are intended for a server. Free "home only" versions of
programs do not typically run on Servers as they expect you to by the
professional version. Some packages you purchase won't install because
the programmers coded the software to look for a specific OS version
and they don't often include the servers - even though the servers
have the same rough OS as the desktop packages.

I'd suggest skipping the idea unless there's a reason you need a
server, as a server.
0
Bob
5/17/2010 10:05:37 PM
TMA

All I can tell you is that if you need to use a server as you are planning to, then
study up on it before committing to it's use. A Server is not like XP or Vista or
Win 7. It is a completely different environment

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

> Hello, I have never seen or used Windows Server and I have a few basic questions
> before switching Windows XP Pro into WS 2008 R2.
>
> Will I be able to install and use other softwares normally as if I was using
> Windows XP? I have other servers I would like to use with it and I need to know in
> advance if they will be 100% compatible:
>
> Oracle XE 10g
> MySQL (latest version)
> Apache 2.2
> FileZilla server
> Windows Media Player 12 sharing
> Ultra VNC
>

> So, please let me know if the above software would be OK and besides that, I would
> have to test some programs I develop by myself, so I need to know if WS would
> behave just like Windows XP  (ie. Windows registry access, file access, windows
> api functions, etc).
>
> Thanks in advance.

0
Peter
5/18/2010 3:41:39 AM

"Peter Foldes" <maci252211@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> TMA
>
> All I can tell you is that if you need to use a server as you are planning
> to, then study up on it before committing to it's use. A Server is not
> like XP or Vista or Win 7. It is a completely different environment
>
> --
> Peter

Well, not really. Superfically a server looks much the same as a WinXP or
Windows 7 PC. The major differences are:
- A server has many additional and highly complex functions.
- A server administrator must be fully aware of how to install and maintain
a safe, robust and secure data processing environment.

0
Pegasus
5/18/2010 6:25:12 AM
"Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If you have no idea what Windows server is about then you should pick up
> some training or read some text book on the subject first, before
> committing yourself to buying and installing it. Without sound knowledge
> you either waste your time and money (at best) or you cause a disaster at
> your workplace (at worst). Running a server without being suitably trained
> is like driving a bus while having only an ordinary car driver's licence.
> A lot of people might depend on you.

I think I didn't make myself clear in my previous posts, so I will try to
explain myself a little better.
I am a programmer (oracle, mysql, php, java, delphi and c++) for 15+ years.
I used to work with Unix and NT servers for over a decade in the past, so I
guess I AM used with "servers" and I know what they're for. No, this is not
a workplace, and no, this is not going to cause any "disaster" and no, I'm
not going to spend my money. I just intended to download the trial version
for a few days and test to see if it will be good for what I intend to do
with it.
That said, if you pay close attention to what I asked, you will notice that
all the programs I listed are server-side applications. So, since this OS is
named MS "SERVER" I thought maybe databases and http/ftp/vnc servers would
be included in the "server" nomenclature. I was just making sure before
downloading it.
So, this is a HOME environment and I want to share my own videos and
pictures and music around the other computers in the house as well as
install http/ftp/vnc servers inside this home network. I tried windows XP
but it seems to be tricky with WMP v11 and my Sony Bravia TV won't recognize
its videos (even though WMP v12 with Win7 works fine). I was wondering if
Windows Server would be any better for that specific task as well as the
other apps mentioned above.

Thanks in advance.

0
TMA
5/18/2010 7:27:13 AM
> I'll agree with Pegasus... but add some more info for you: A server is
> no place to run applications. You can, most do work. But, it's the
> wrong environment. A server has an intended purpose - if you want it
> to be fast and work well as a server, keep applications off it and use
> it for what it was intended for.

None of the programs I listed in my questions could be considered
"applications" since they are all server-side listeners. I will repeat them
for better comprehension:

Oracle XE 10g (database SERVER for oracle)
MySQL (latest version) (another database SERVER)
Apache 2.2 (http SERVER)
FileZilla server (ftp SERVER)
Windows Media Player 12 sharing (media SERVER)
Ultra VNC (vnc SERVER)

..... all are SERVERS.

> That said: very few application software packages and/or hardware
> drivers come with Windows Server software listed as "compatible"
> unless they are intended for a server. Free "home only" versions of
> programs do not typically run on Servers as they expect you to by the
> professional version. Some packages you purchase won't install because
> the programmers coded the software to look for a specific OS version
> and they don't often include the servers - even though the servers
> have the same rough OS as the desktop packages.

I know all that, I was just wanting to know about Windows Server 2008
specifically, since I have never seen it running.

0
TMA
5/18/2010 7:34:45 AM

> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> If you have no idea what Windows server is about then you should pick up
>> some training or read some text book on the subject first, before
>> committing yourself to buying and installing it. Without sound knowledge
>> you either waste your time and money (at best) or you cause a disaster at
>> your workplace (at worst). Running a server without being suitably
>> trained is like driving a bus while having only an ordinary car driver's
>> licence. A lot of people might depend on you.
>
> I think I didn't make myself clear in my previous posts, so I will try to
> explain myself a little better.
> I am a programmer (oracle, mysql, php, java, delphi and c++) for 15+
> years. I used to work with Unix and NT servers for over a decade in the
> past, so I guess I AM used with "servers" and I know what they're for. No,
> this is not a workplace, and no, this is not going to cause any "disaster"
> and no, I'm not going to spend my money. I just intended to download the
> trial version for a few days and test to see if it will be good for what I
> intend to do with it.
> That said, if you pay close attention to what I asked, you will notice
> that all the programs I listed are server-side applications. So, since
> this OS is named MS "SERVER" I thought maybe databases and http/ftp/vnc
> servers would be included in the "server" nomenclature. I was just making
> sure before downloading it.
> So, this is a HOME environment and I want to share my own videos and
> pictures and music around the other computers in the house as well as
> install http/ftp/vnc servers inside this home network. I tried windows XP
> but it seems to be tricky with WMP v11 and my Sony Bravia TV won't
> recognize its videos (even though WMP v12 with Win7 works fine). I was
> wondering if Windows Server would be any better for that specific task as
> well as the other apps mentioned above.
>
> Thanks in advance.

As I mentioned in my other response, a Windows server is basically a
workstation with many functions added. If certain applications do not work
on your WinXP machine then it is unlikely that they will work on your
server.

0
Pegasus
5/18/2010 7:35:33 AM
In article <eyv4Yyl9KHA.3880@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, tma@tmasoftwares.com
says...

> > I'll agree with Pegasus... but add some more info for you: A server is
> > no place to run applications. You can, most do work. But, it's the
> > wrong environment. A server has an intended purpose - if you want it
> > to be fast and work well as a server, keep applications off it and use
> > it for what it was intended for.
>
> None of the programs I listed in my questions could be considered
> "applications" since they are all server-side listeners. I will repeat them
> for better comprehension:
>
> Oracle XE 10g (database SERVER for oracle)
> MySQL (latest version) (another database SERVER)
> Apache 2.2 (http SERVER)

Runs fine on 2008

> FileZilla server (ftp SERVER)

Runs fine on 2008

> Windows Media Player 12 sharing (media SERVER)
> Ultra VNC (vnc SERVER)
>
> .... all are SERVERS.
>

> > That said: very few application software packages and/or hardware
> > drivers come with Windows Server software listed as "compatible"
> > unless they are intended for a server. Free "home only" versions of
> > programs do not typically run on Servers as they expect you to by the
> > professional version. Some packages you purchase won't install because
> > the programmers coded the software to look for a specific OS version
> > and they don't often include the servers - even though the servers
> > have the same rough OS as the desktop packages.
>
> I know all that, I was just wanting to know about Windows Server 2008
> specifically, since I have never seen it running.

IME, if it will run on Win2k or Win2003, it will run on 2008.

0
David
5/18/2010 12:03:44 PM
> As I mentioned in my other response, a Windows server is basically a
> workstation with many functions added. If certain applications do not work
> on your WinXP machine then it is unlikely that they will work on your
> server.

Thank you.

0
TMA
5/18/2010 3:42:42 PM
Thank you, I will give it a try then.

"David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_warrenrogersassociates.com> wrote in message
> In article <eyv4Yyl9KHA.3880@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, tma@tmasoftwares.com
> says...
>>
>> > I'll agree with Pegasus... but add some more info for you: A server is
>> > no place to run applications. You can, most do work. But, it's the
>> > wrong environment. A server has an intended purpose - if you want it
>> > to be fast and work well as a server, keep applications off it and use
>> > it for what it was intended for.
>>
>> None of the programs I listed in my questions could be considered
>> "applications" since they are all server-side listeners. I will repeat
>> them
>> for better comprehension:
>>
>> Oracle XE 10g (database SERVER for oracle)
>> MySQL (latest version) (another database SERVER)
>> Apache 2.2 (http SERVER)
>
> Runs fine on 2008
>

>> FileZilla server (ftp SERVER)
>
> Runs fine on 2008
>

>> Windows Media Player 12 sharing (media SERVER)
>> Ultra VNC (vnc SERVER)
>>
>> .... all are SERVERS.
>>

>> > That said: very few application software packages and/or hardware
>> > drivers come with Windows Server software listed as "compatible"
>> > unless they are intended for a server. Free "home only" versions of
>> > programs do not typically run on Servers as they expect you to by the
>> > professional version. Some packages you purchase won't install because
>> > the programmers coded the software to look for a specific OS version
>> > and they don't often include the servers - even though the servers
>> > have the same rough OS as the desktop packages.
>>
>> I know all that, I was just wanting to know about Windows Server 2008
>> specifically, since I have never seen it running.
>
> IME, if it will run on Win2k or Win2003, it will run on 2008.

0
TMA

outlook how to question
how do you transfer outlook express files into outlook? tia why not send them to yourself <sstovall3@aol.com> wrote in message news:n8imp1pvp9kf9v3k7lsnh9ci4hns0p99io@4ax.com... > how do you transfer outlook express files into outlook? > > tia sstovall3@aol.com, you wrote on Sat, 10 Dec 2005 15:32:27 -0600: > how do you transfer outlook express files into outlook? In Outlook Express go to File | Export | Messages -- Best Regards Christian Goeller the files are on a cd, access to outlook express has now been lost. On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:03:50 +0100, Christian ...

OE question
I wish to disable the feature that automatically blocks my attempts to listen or view WMV files and or files that need to be "assembled". Thank you for your time and help. T Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of = them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news = groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/=20 --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to kee...

Excel 2003 question
I have one user that currently has Excel 2003 and the rest of the organization has either Office XP or Office 2000. There is an Excel document that is use organization wide that was created in Office XP Excel. It utilizes Utilizes validation fields. These fields are lists that contains names, another contains status (Closed, Open, Waiting, etc...) and another contains misc info. When anyone uses this Excel document that has Office XP or Office 2000, everything works perfectly fine. When the individual with Excel 2003 uses this spreadsheet, upon opening, he receives an error imm...

Rank Question
I need to figure out how to rank by manager ex: Processor Manager Score Rank Albert Scott 80.9 2 Brian Scott 91.5 1 Cathy Scott 79.3 3 Mable Delores 99.9 1 Elaine Delores 95.6 2 Tony Delores 73.5 3 I have 100 or so managers so I want a formula to calculate it automatically without any manual intervention. Thanks In EXCEL 2007, assuming your data is in range A 1 to D 7 inclusive. 1. Gives cells C 2 to C 7 inclusive a Range Name of, for ...

ADFS basics
Hey all, I'm using (trying) to use ADFS to logon to my SAML 2.0 parter. In essence I would like to use AD as my source of truth. Unfortunately, I'm having some issues with my logoff and trying to troubleshoot. One super basic question, the directory /adfs/ls which is used as my logoff URL (and logon URL) has a default document setup as default.aspx which does not exist. Question 1: How does pointing to the adfs/ls directory alert ADFS to which action I'd like to perform? It obviously works but I'm not sure how ADFS know whether to pop a logon screen or go...

Visual Basic Macros, relative position
Dear Experts, I am making a report, and I have a set of data, in a very looong row: MKT_VAL NET_ASSETS TOT_ASSETS 46 51 51 6233 6228 6228 Over 100 fields. I need this data to be changed to run down a column. MKT_VAL 46 6233 NET_ASSETS 51 6228 TOT_ASSETS 51 6228 I tried to make a macro to do this. It would be run after I copied and pasted the three column cells into another area. Sub ShiftNullData() ' ' ShiftNullData Macro ' Macro recorded 11/14/2006 by Rodger Lepinsky ' ' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+q ' Range("A18").S...

a CPropertySheet on CDialogBar question #2
hi,i develop a application based on MainFrame, i want to place a CDialogBar on the right of my windows and place a CPropertySheet on this DialogBar. i create a class,CMyDialogBar which derived from CDialogBar, and its Create function as below: BOOL CMyDialogBar::Create(CWnd* pParentWnd, UINT nIDTemplate, UINT nStyle, UINT nID) { // TODO: Add your specialized code here and/or call the base class CDialogBar::Create(pParentWnd, nIDTemplate, nStyle, nID); m_pDlg1 = new CDialogPage1;//m_pDlg1 is member variable of this class m_pDlg2 = new CDialogPage2;//m_pDlg2 is member variable of this cla...

Question about CSocket::Receive()
I have a class derived from CSocket. I have a vague recollection that I only get one shot at calling Receive() in my override of OnReceive(). What I mean by that is that if there's 2k of data to be read but I only read 1k when I call Receive() then the other 1k gets lost. Or can I call Receive() more than once within OnReceive() but after I exit OnReceive() I lose any data that didn't read? I can't remember where I've read this or something along those lines and I can't see it in the documentation. It may be that I'm completely mistaken and it's just my ...

A Question about Diffgram Updates

ListView question #3
Hi, I've searched on internet to find some tips how to detect when a ListView: - draw the headers (if it is header, and for which column) - draw the rows (which row / index) - draw items (to which column belongs the drawed item) i've read some articles about subclassing WndProc. I've checked that way but it's huge amount of time spent and result is really poor :-( i would like to know if there is not another way...a little bit easier Topics behind that are : - allow different types of items (not only text, but also progress bars, spinboxes,..) - Customize the header (imag...

Question No 1 for Testing Purpose
Question No 1 for Testing Purpose Ignore this "Test" <Test@Test.com> wrote in message news:165D35B4-07E0-4BFC-AB83-05CA2AF68DE1@microsoft.com... > Question No 1 for Testing Purpose > ...

Basic Visual Basic
I want to learn VB for Excel, but I need to know a good free site for help and to read up on it. Can anyone help me? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi as a starting point: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I want to learn VB for Excel, but I need to know a good free site for > help and to read up on it. Can anyone help me? > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

CWnd creation question and CFrameWnd question
So you create a child window use CWnd::Create(). I can create a main window (windows window?) by using CFrameWnd::Create(). I'm trying to figure out how to create my own CFrameWnd from Cwnd and how they are related. Since CFrameWnd is a subclass of CWnd, shouldn't I be able to create a main window using CWnd::Create? It keeps asserting an error that I can't seem to trap (it just ends to app if I select Debug and if I step into it manually, I can hold down F11 for about a minute and it just keeps going through assembly code and such). I'm thinking because I send it NULL for...

MSP VBA Basic Help Needed!
I'm trying to add common text names from a Text Column in MSP-07. I'm using Rod Gill's book to learn VBA for Office and primarily MSP and have also emailed him specifically about whether or not MSP-07 is even capable of accomplishing the simple report I'm needing. Basically I have a column (Text26) with some specific verbage which will be standardized and used for several real schedules in our standard template with our company. The verbage is simply: * Early Delivery * Late Delivery * On-Time Delivery * Not Delivered The verbage is calculated as a formula...

Exmerge append question
Hi there, I'm currently looking into ways to doing efficient offsite storage using Brick Level Backups of the Exchange database. As the size of the resulting .PST files is obviously an issue (in terms of the time taken to copy them over a VPN connection), I had originally set it up so that it would append to the existing .pst files. This all seemed to be working fine. However, I had a user have a clearout of a load of old emails, and it was then that I noticed that the .pst file hadn't reduced in size - although it appends any new mails to the .PST file, it doesn't appear to dele...

Newbie question
Hello, I am a newbie to xml and xpath. I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. I need to parse an xml file (generated by a Sharepoint list file) in the format below. For example, I need to select all the nodes where the ows_Parent = '6;#miCommunities'. (Is there a LIKE operator in xpath (e.g, ows_Parent LIKE '%miCommunities'))? I'm not able to do even the simplest query on this xml file. I keep getting the error message: "Namespace, Manager or xsltContext needed. This query has a prefix, variable or user defined function." Any help y...

Sorry
Hi guys, apologies for such a basic question. In my defence I'm not really a c++ programmer, and when I have dabbled, I've used MFC. I've got a call to an external DLL I'm using LoadLibrary to get. I've declared the call as : lpFUNCTION MyFunc(CString p1, CString p2, short* retVal, CString* retText) if I call it : short retVal; CString retText; iRet = MyFunc ("123456", "12345678", &retVal, &retText); - it works fine. Unfortunately this DLL is being called from a non-MFC app. So I;ve tried : lpFUNCTION MyFunc(char[] p1, char p2, short* ...

Bank Reconciliation Transaction Question
Hi All, I am trying to add payments using Bank Reconciliation transactions but I don't know how, is it possible to do this way? Also, I want to use "Transaction" of Bank Reconciliation, not the "Receipt" Anyone knows how to do it, please give me a shot and I'd appreciate it. Thanks, -- Toi Day Hi Don Are you still using version 8? I do not believe there will be a fix for this on version 8 and I don't believe this is an issue on 9 or 10. -- Fliehigh "Don Lai" wrote: > Hi All, > > I am trying to add payments using Bank Reconci...

Money 2007 Questions
I just "upgraded" from Money 2004 to Money 2007 and I have a couple of questions. 1. How do I turn off automatically connecting to the internet and updating? I have a dialup connection and every time I start Money it tries to open a connection. 2. Is there a problem with the Lifetime Planner? In Money 2004 the result graph showed a positive balance of all accounts through the entire graph period. When I went into the planner in Money 2007 the initial display of the graph showed the same as in Money 2004. However, when I stepped through the various steps of the planner (w...

Datasheet question again
Is it possible to show a Form Header on a Datasheet form ? Thanks Sorry, did not mean to. "Wayne-I-M" <WayneIM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ED8F7461-1F27-4F39-9464-AF2F6D8157AC@microsoft.com... > Sorry Maurice and Joan - just noticed you had already answered this > question. > > Phile it's not really a good idea to ask the same question but with a > different header. > > -- > Wayne > Manchester, England. > > > > "Phil Hunt" wrote: > >> Is it possible to show a Form Header on a Datasheet ...

excel question....
hey guys can any one help me?(of course it is not a excel question) My drives are not openinin. if i double click on my drives an "open with" window opens. I know that it is a virus. Can u send the free link of the anti virus software that removes this virus? Thanks in advance. Neelakanta. Why don't you do a Google search for it? -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Neelakanta" <Neelakanta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB8D1FA1-A6A4-4A13-85DD-A9BDB1C3CEB8@microsoft.com... > hey guys can any one help me?(of course it is not a excel ques...

Basics
I'm new to the DDK. I just d/l the WinDDK 7600.16385.1 and I'm trying to use the WinDbg. So I took the sample "tracedrv" (WINDDK\7600.16385.1\src\general\tracing\tracedrv), builded it and try to run tracectl.exe with the WinDbg, using "File->Open Executable" option. I set the Symbol File Path to tracectl.exe path, where "tracectl.pdb" is. I'm getting the message "*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. ", and can't see it in Source Mode. When I run the program, I don't see the trace messages of the driver (KdPrint...

Exchange BackUP and Restore Newbie question....
Hi, I am running Exchange 2000 enterprise edition and performing daily Microsoft BackUP utility running on Windows 2000 Advanced Server. I am only backing up 1 information store with 2 storage groups. Though, I have not yet experience any severe Exchange outage, however there may come a time when this situation should appear. I am following this article (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258243) and was wondering if the backup as followed from this article works entirely and performing a restore operation should be an ease as stated in this article. Has anyon...

SMTP Question
Good morning, I have an exchange 2003 server in one of our clients office which happens to be a law firm. They are working on a class-action law suit which requires they send out very large attachments to many users at a time. this has caused internet slowdowns b/c the emails are stacking-up in the queue and taking a very long time to procees; thus slowing down the internet to a crawl. ( we have a standard dsl network) is there a way to modify the default the stmp settings, so during the times these messages are being sent, it does not use all my internet bandwidth. Are there any good...

Merge Question When Opening Attachment
Whenever I open a Word attachment from an email, I am prompted with a question. It asks if I would like to merge with the document in the temp directory. Even if I select No and don't ask again, it prompts with every attachment. Is there a setting to turn this off? Clear the temp? Since this is a Word question you're better of in a Word newsgroup. -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Setting Permissions on a Mailbox -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Sara" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...