Backup Schedule for 2003 Domain Controllers

We are a small company with only 2 domain controllers both using Windows 2003
Server Standard. Currently we back them with a full backup on Fridays and
incremental backups Mon - Thurs. Since we use Active Directory should we be
running a full backup every night? If so what folders/files should be backed
up each night or do we just backup the entire C drive?

Hello raz4183,

The minimum backup you need to restore AD is the system state of a DC.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc778772(WS.10).aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216993

The schedule depends on your amount of changes doing in AD. After each major
change, new schema or new AD aware applications like exchange make allways
a ful backup.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> We are a small company with only 2 domain controllers both using
> Windows 2003 Server Standard. Currently we back them with a full
> backup on Fridays and incremental backups Mon - Thurs. Since we use
> Active Directory should we be running a full backup every night? If so
> what folders/files should be backed up each night or do we just backup
> the entire C drive?

0
Meinolf

Error compiling MFC code with 2003 toolkit
Couldn't find this question answered elsewhere, so here it comes: Installed .NET (2002) and then the 2003 C++ command line toolkit so that I'm compiling with the latest. Used the App wizard to start a new (dialog-based) MFC app. Hit compile and I get this error (followed by pages of others): c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio ..NET\Vc7\atlmfc\include\atlsimpstr.h(195) : warning C4346: 'ATL::ChTraitsBase<BaseType>::XCHAR' : dependent name is not a type prefix with 'typename' to indicate a type c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio ...

Creating a rule based on domain
Firstly, I am running Office 2007. I would like to be able to create a rule that would take every incoming email from "everyone@domain.com", and move them to a seperate folder. So if anyone at this domain sends an e-mail to me, it will go to this folder. I tried creating a rule just using "@domain.com" and "domain.com", of course it gave me an error, but it left the rule. It works when i manually run it, but not the automated part when an new e-mail comes in. Does anyone have any ideas how I can do this? Thanks! Scott Christopher <schristopher@struthers-...

Backup
When I try to make a backup from withing Great Plains, I am getting the message: Unhandled Script Exception Script '[693]()' not found Exception_Class_Script_Missing Script_CMD_Userfunc I cannot find anything in the Knowledge Base to help me resolve this. Can anyone help me? Thanks! >-----Original Message----- >When I try to make a backup from withing Great Plains, I >am getting the message: > >Unhandled Script Exception >Script '[693]()' not found >Exception_Class_Script_Missing >Script_CMD_Userfunc > >I cannot find anything in the Knowle...

Require domain\username with OWA forms based authentication?
We are running EX2003 SP2 in a front-end/back-end configuration. We have SSL enabled and forms based authentication turned on on the FE server. Everything works fine, except users can log on without needing to put their username in the domain\username format. I would like to require the domain\username format for logging in. We are using Basic Authentication and are not using a custom logon.asp. Everything I've read indicates that the default logon.asp should require the domain\username or username@domain.com format. Does anyone know how to require the domain\username format? ...

exch 2003 question ... please reply !
Please see my comments:- "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote: > 1. Check DNS. Make sure that both servers can talk to each other (via both > hostname and FQDN). Make sure that message tracking (on both 5.5 and 2003) > is turned on. Once you have done this, what happens when you try and send a > message from 5.5 to 2003? What happens the other way? Do you get NDR's > right away? From the 5.5 server, can you telnet on port 25 to the 2003 > server? What about the other way? Can 2003 telnet to port 25 of 5.5? Jazzy: Message tracking is turned on an...

Outlook 2003: 2 Users share 1 inbox, 1 POP/SMTP acct w/o Exchange Server?
My wife and I need to share a common Inbox in OL 2003. ( One logon at a time) We have seperate "contact Lists / Address Books" however we can share common In-Box sub-folders for saved email. We're not a business and I don't see a need for an "exchange server." How can this be done in Outlook 2003? It came with our new system. http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook &am...

Using Rich Text Box control
Hi, I'm using access 2K3 in 2000 format. Created report and added in a Microsoft Rich Text box control. The Rich Text box control has properties, including a Font property; I've set the font type & size to Arial, 10. But, when I run the report the font size in preview mode is about 24. I don't see where the problem is, but it's a problem b/c I can't seem to control it. Anyone have an idea how this works or different way to have formatted text show up on a report. Obviously I could mess with textbox controls but the rich text box is much better. Thanks, Jim M. ...

Does Outlook's Auto Archive Always APPEND TO or OVERWRITE a Previous Backup?
I ask because in another thread it was stated that auto-archive always appends, but lots of advice on multiple sites caution the user that it always over-writes. If it always appends, then I can use it. If it always overwrites, I can't. I think this is a very important distinction for the user and thus we should know one way or the other which is true append or over-write. Thanks. Yes, it always appends, because it is adding individual items to the = folders in the archive .pst file, not overwriting that file.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programmi...

pst file backup program(pfbackup.exe) installation problem.
Trying to instal the above, but getting errors. 1. "Setup has detected that you already have a version of pfbackup installed on this machine. ....must uninstall.... Answer YES to next qurstion. Click OK. 2. Are you sure you want to uninstall? YES 3. This action is only valid for products that are installed. YES 4. Please uninstall previous versions of PFbackup using the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel. OK No matter how hard I look, it isn't there. Also tried looking under different (administrator) logon accounts. Any ideas? Is there a .dll file somewhere? Sugge...

adding another control
I'm currently running a report to pull retention data for a certain time period in my database. The current code I use is: Dim strWhere As String Dim stDocName As String stDocName = "RetentionReport" strWhere = "[Date] >= #" & _ Forms!CountsReportMenu![FromDate] & "# And [Date] <=#" & _ Forms!CountsReportMenu![ToDate] & "# " DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acPreview, , strWhere In addition to the date range I'd like to add a line that says to only pull records where the Ret...

Group Policy Backup
Is there a way that a Group Policy Object can be backed up on a Server Core machine? Like we do using GPMC in a full dc. Using Powershell? Howdie! Am 01.07.2010 15:50, schrieb Venkat: > Is there a way that a Group Policy Object can be backed up on a Server Core > machine? Like we do using GPMC in a full dc. Using Powershell? GPMC delivers Scripts you can use to back them up. You can also download them seperately: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=38c1a89b-a6d2-4f2a-a944-9236999aee65&displaylang=en There should be plenty of scripting that...

Exchange 2003 restore on different host
I have exchange 2003 installed on host A and all users mailbox configured and used for while, now I have installed new exchange 2003 on host B and then restored backup version of exchange SG from host A to host B, can the exchange 2003 on host B mount the restored SG and read all the mailboxes? Appreciated your respond. James On 8 Feb 2007 21:13:31 -0800, "sss" <james.zheng@gmail.com> wrote: >I have exchange 2003 installed on host A and all users mailbox >configured and used for while, now I have installed new exchange 2003 >on host B and then restored backup vers...

Scheduled Payments Problems
Someone in our staff wanted to make a partial payment on an invoice. We still can't figure out how to do this, but in an attempt to do this, she tried GP's 'Scheduled Payment' feature. We can't figure out what this has done. We are stuck with a voided invoice, a voided scheduled payment, payments scheduled in a future fiscal year. To make matters worse, our Payables Management module no longer agrees with A/P in the general ledger. Apparently some action needs to be performed to complete the process and generate the necessary G/L entries. Any assistance we could...

Exchange Server 2003 SP2
Hello all. Is it necessary to install Exchange 2003 SP1 before installing SP2? Thank you -- Osteele ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Osteele's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/184732.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/small-business-server/1320706.htm http://forums.techarena.in Allow me to respond to my own post. I decided to not to take any chances. I installed SP1 then SP2. Everything seems to be functioning fine at the moment. -- Osteele -------------------------------------------------...

Visio 2003 UML
Hi, I want to use Visio 2003 for planing .net software developement. Could you please tell me an online ressource where I can find information for beginners (tips, how-tos, ...)? I generate two classes: class1 (attribute1, attribute2), class2 (attribute3). class 2 derives from class1. If I use a generaliziation (or whatever the english word is, sorry) to connect the classes I cannot see the derived attributes (attribute1, attribute2) in class2? How can I achieve that? Thanks for your answer! -- Regards, InspektorDerrick Post your query to the following newsgroup: microsoft.public.vis...

SqlDataSource Control vs Connecting to a Database Programmatically
I’m new to working with ASP.NET. I am currently working with a contractor on a project for my company. He seems to prefer to use older methods for doing things such as datagrids instead of gridviews, and SqlDataAdapter in code instead of SqlDataSource Control. What are the advantages and disadvantages to both methodologies? Should I try to get him to use the newer methods? Thanks in advance for your help with this. ...

Exchange Sp1 on SBS 2003
Does SBS require special windows updates and Exchange patches? More to the point I am encountering a problem which several postings say is resolved by installing SP1 for Exchange. Is there a separate Exchange SP1 for SBS 2003? If you do not get an answer here try asking in SBS newsgroup. Tom Wall wrote: > Does SBS require special windows updates and Exchange patches? More to the > point I am encountering a problem which several postings say is resolved by > installing SP1 for Exchange. Is there a separate Exchange SP1 for SBS 2003? Tom Wall wrote: > Does SBS require spec...

accounts receivable problem in Money 2003 Deluxe & Business
I converted my Quicken B & P to Money 2003 D & B about 5 months ago. Today, I tried running a Profit & Loss report and discovered the invoice payments from my consulting were not showing in the income column. The account I use to create invoices is not named "Accounts Recievable". 1. How to I check the account type is really A/R? Is that fact that it is an invoice account sufficient proof? 2. When I record payment of an invoice, a deposit is recorded in my Bank Account with the "Special Category" of "Payment for Invoice". Is there something I can/ne...

backup to a file?
hi, can I backup my exchange 2003 to a file (instead of backing up to a tape drive)?. I will then copy the file to elsewhere. Our exchange server is in a different (distant)location and for some reason the tape drive is not workng. So until that gets resolved, I need to have some other way.(temporarily) I am referring to the 'file' destination option in windows backup. Is this possible and also, will doing this cause any issues while restoring?(if needed) thanks!!! Yes. Just specify a path and ntbackup will create you a bkf file which you can copy whereever. -- Thanks, Bria...

Great Plains Backup
Is it possible to schedule a GP backup? If yes how can this be done? You can schedule backups for system and company databases to occur on the days and the times that you specify. Only a system administrator can open the Schedule Backup window to schedule database backups. To schedule a database backup: 1. Open the Schedule Backup window. (File >> Backup >> Schedule button) 2. Enter a name for the schedule. 3. Select the company to back up. The path where the database will be backed up is displayed. You can modify the path, as needed. 4. Mark the days to ...

Excel 2003 opens slowly
I'm having a problem with Excel 2003. For one of my users, Excel 2003 takes 60-63 seconds to open. The rest of the suite, Word, Powerpont, etc... opens almost instantly. What's the deal here? I appreciate any suggestions. I have already deleted her local roaming profile and copied the roaming profile back down to her pc with no change. If I us a different pc, the problem still exists. -- WillieD Just a thought but the *.xlb (Toolbar customisation file) doesn't get deleted if you uninstall and reinstall, though not sure if it would have gone if you deleted the profile. It ...

Last Logon Time in Exch. Mgr./Mailboxes reset by scheduled mainten
I have been using Exchange Manager, via drilling down to the storage group's Mailboxes screen, to get a check on users who are not active (and therefore may have been excused without my knowledge). Recently, something changed without intervention (probably via a patch) where the "Last Logon Time" is being reset every morning at 2:30. I am assuming there is a maintenance cycle involved, but I do not know what. While I know there are utilities and scripts to mine AD for the needed info, I am wondering what changed and if I really need this maintenance cycle? If I cannot ...

Scheduling problem
I have two work-sheets. On the first are the employees work percentages from 01.01.01 to 02.01.06 100% (39 h/week) Patrik from 03.01.06 to 01.01.07 80% (31,2 h/week) Patrik from 01.01.07 to the future ...

2003 Server to 2008 SBS migration...
Like the subject says, upgrading old wore out 2003 with a 2008 SBS. Anything I should know? Tips, helpful hints, etc? Pretty small domain, only about 8 computers running XP. Any advice appreciated! -- Mr. Simpson, there are thousands of people like you with no discernable talent. Yeah, they're called Congress. Mike - I too am working on moving from a 2003 Server Dc to a SBS 2008 network. However, we are very leary of running dcpromo on the 2003 server. Does anyone have any guides or procedures to follow for this process? Any information would be appreciated. ...

How can I reset the email server names in Publisher 2003?
How can I reset the email server names in Publisher 2003? What do you mean? ...