winxp not able to join domain

hi! recently, i've some issues in a small grp of clients about 5% of the
total 1000 PCs. We're not able to join  these PCs into our win2003 domain.
I've to rename the PCs before i can join to the domain. I've checked in the
AD, the computer name is not there and all the dns, gateway and etc are
correct. I didn't see any related msg in event viewer as well.

for some of these pcs i've to re-join the domain for the user to login again.

has anyone encouter this before? pls advise. thx

Hello dkblee,

Are the machines created from a not sysprepped image? Did you make sure to
use only the domain DNS servers on the NIC? Which exact error message is
shown?

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> hi! recently, i've some issues in a small grp of clients about 5% of
> the total 1000 PCs. We're not able to join  these PCs into our win2003
> domain. I've to rename the PCs before i can join to the domain. I've
> checked in the AD, the computer name is not there and all the dns,
> gateway and etc are correct. I didn't see any related msg in event
> viewer as well.
>
> for some of these pcs i've to re-join the domain for the user to login
> again.
>
> has anyone encouter this before? pls advise. thx

0
Meinolf
1/7/2010 7:59:26 AM
This sounds like a dns issues on the client.

Post an ipconfig /all from a failing client and a dc.

Note: If you are using private ip addressing, feel free to modify the first
few octects so as not to expose your internal addresses.

--
Paul Bergson
MVP - Directory Services

http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"dkblee" <dkblee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi! recently, i've some issues in a small grp of clients about 5% of the
> total 1000 PCs. We're not able to join  these PCs into our win2003 domain.
> I've to rename the PCs before i can join to the domain. I've checked in
> the
> AD, the computer name is not there and all the dns, gateway and etc are
> correct. I didn't see any related msg in event viewer as well.
>
> for some of these pcs i've to re-join the domain for the user to login
> again.
>
> has anyone encouter this before? pls advise. thx

0
Paul
1/7/2010 1:16:03 PM
If you AD and DNS is working properly make sure go to RUN
:: dnsmgmt.msc :: Right click on domain and launch NSLOOKUP what is given in command.. make sure that you have mention your DNS in all client static of DHCP and also DNS IP in your server also if computer names in network are same then might be problem.

dkblee wrote:

winxp not able to join domain
06-Jan-10

hi! recently, i've some issues in a small grp of clients about 5% of the
total 1000 PCs. We're not able to join  these PCs into our win2003 domain.
I have to rename the PCs before i can join to the domain. I have checked in the
AD, the computer name is not there and all the dns, gateway and etc are
correct. I did not see any related msg in event viewer as well.

for some of these pcs i've to re-join the domain for the user to login again.

has anyone encouter this before? pls advise. thx

Open Microsoft Excel spreadsheet with ADO.NET
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/36f35a5d-3581-4b57-9399-6f1a7b04540e/open-microsoft-excel-spre.aspx
0
vishwanath
1/8/2010 9:04:21 PM
"vishwanath dalvi" wrote in message

Vishwanath,

This is off topic. I am very curious as to why do all of your replies I've
seen so far show "@ above" in the subject line and not a reply to the post
you are replying to, such as, "Re: <original subject>"?

Does it have something to do with the foum or newsreader you are using?

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE &
MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please
contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com
for regional support phone numbers.

0
Ace
1/8/2010 11:39:13 PM
hi! The machines are all created by sysprepped image using ghost. Just
curious..does that make a different?

yes. the sysprep file is configured with the domain dns. I think it's able
to join to the domain, but the domain user is not able to login. thus, my
colleague tried to disjoint the  pc from the domain and try to join back the
domain with the same pc name. (the pc name is removed from the AD prior to
re-joinining to the domain), but she was prompted with a user denied msg
(he's able to login to the domain using other PCs and this only happened to
only a small % of PCs). She has to rename the PC's name to be able to join to
domain again.

any idea? thx

"Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" wrote:

> Hello dkblee,
>
> Are the machines created from a not sysprepped image? Did you make sure to
> use only the domain DNS servers on the NIC? Which exact error message is
> shown?
>
> Best regards
>
> Meinolf Weber
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
> no rights.
> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>

> > hi! recently, i've some issues in a small grp of clients about 5% of
> > the total 1000 PCs. We're not able to join  these PCs into our win2003
> > domain. I've to rename the PCs before i can join to the domain. I've
> > checked in the AD, the computer name is not there and all the dns,
> > gateway and etc are correct. I didn't see any related msg in event
> > viewer as well.
> >
> > for some of these pcs i've to re-join the domain for the user to login
> > again.
> >
> > has anyone encouter this before? pls advise. thx
> >

> .

i did a check on that. The DNS grabbed is correct, i've even statically key
that in, but still not able to join domain. My colleague had to rename the pc
to be able to rejoin to the domain for those pcs that are having issue. Btw,
i tried to join domain in one of the PC that she's not able to join using my
admnistrator logon and i'm able to.

any idea? Thx

>i did a check on that. The DNS grabbed is correct, i've even statically key
> that in, but still not able to join domain. My colleague had to rename the
> pc
> to be able to rejoin to the domain for those pcs that are having issue.
> Btw,
> i tried to join domain in one of the PC that she's not able to join using
> my
> admnistrator logon and i'm able to.
>
> any idea? Thx

It's possible her account does not allow to modify current objects in AD. If
that is the case, it may be pointing to that the computer name is specified
in the sysprep.inf file. That will cause each computer to come up with the
same name. It may also be possible that you are trying to join it to the
domain in the sysprep.inf file.

If that is the case, if I may suggest, you can blank out the name in the
sysprep.inf file, and if it's in there, remove the part that tries to join
it. This way, after you ghost over the image, it will run through it's
mini-setup (assuming that's how you configured the Sysprep manager when you
created the sysprep image), and it will prompt you for a computer name.

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE &
MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please
contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com
for regional support phone numbers.

0
Ace
1/9/2010 4:25:37 PM
what about the ipconfig /all that was asked by both Meinolf and me?

--
Paul Bergson
MVP - Directory Services
MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, BS CSci
2008, 2003, 2000 (Early Achiever), NT4
Microsoft's Thrive IT Pro of the Month - June 2009

http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"dkblee" <dkblee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i did a check on that. The DNS grabbed is correct, i've even statically key
> that in, but still not able to join domain. My colleague had to rename the
> pc
> to be able to rejoin to the domain for those pcs that are having issue.
> Btw,
> i tried to join domain in one of the PC that she's not able to join using
> my
> admnistrator logon and i'm able to.
>
> any idea? Thx
>
> "Paul Bergson [MVP-DS]" wrote:
>
>> This sounds like a dns issues on the client.
>>
>> Post an ipconfig /all from a failing client and a dc.
>>
>> Note: If you are using private ip addressing, feel free to modify the
>> first
>> few octects so as not to expose your internal addresses.
>>
>> --
>> Paul Bergson
>> MVP - Directory Services
>> MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, BS CSci
>> 2008, 2003, 2000 (Early Achiever), NT4
>> Microsoft's Thrive IT Pro of the Month - June 2009
>>
>> http://www.pbbergs.com
>>
>> Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
>> posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>>
>> "dkblee" <dkblee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > hi! recently, i've some issues in a small grp of clients about 5% of
>> > the
>> > total 1000 PCs. We're not able to join  these PCs into our win2003
>> > domain.
>> > I've to rename the PCs before i can join to the domain. I've checked in
>> > the
>> > AD, the computer name is not there and all the dns, gateway and etc are
>> > correct. I didn't see any related msg in event viewer as well.
>> >
>> > for some of these pcs i've to re-join the domain for the user to login
>> > again.
>> >
>> > has anyone encouter this before? pls advise. thx
>>

>> .

0
Paul
1/11/2010 1:25:04 PM
On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 13:04:21 -0800, vishwanath dalvi wrote:

>If you AD and DNS is working properly make sure go to RUN
>:: dnsmgmt.msc :: Right click on domain and launch NSLOOKUP what is given in command.. make sure that you have mention your DNS in all client static of DHCP and also DNS IP in your server also if computer names in network are same then might be problem.
>

>dkblee wrote:
>
>winxp not able to join domain
>06-Jan-10
>
>hi! recently, i've some issues in a small grp of clients about 5% of the
>total 1000 PCs. We're not able to join  these PCs into our win2003 domain.
>I have to rename the PCs before i can join to the domain. I have checked in the
>AD, the computer name is not there and all the dns, gateway and etc are
>correct. I did not see any related msg in event viewer as well.
>
>for some of these pcs i've to re-join the domain for the user to login again.
>
>has anyone encouter this before? pls advise. thx

>Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
>Open Microsoft Excel spreadsheet with ADO.NET
>http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/36f35a5d-3581-4b57-9399-6f1a7b04540e/open-microsoft-excel-spre.aspx

Hi - please don't use Egghead, Techarena, Google Groups, etc to access
the newsgroups - try a newsreader and msnews.microsoft.com for NNTP
access. You can subscribe to as many groups as you like, for free.
It's very difficult for any of us to help you with your issues the way
you're posting heree.
0
Lanwench

Join?
I'd like to see all customers but only transactions since 5/1/10. I have a query like this, but I'm getting a record for each Customer. ARINH is a table for the transactions. SELECT Customer.AcctNo, ARINH.Date FROM ARINH RIGHT JOIN Customer ON ARINH.CustId = Customer.Key WHERE (((ARINH.Date)>=#5/1/2010#)); How can I change it so some results in the date column would be null. They should be. Thanks for your help. "SAC" <sac@somewhere.com> wrote in message news:%23EXsgPh9KHA.980@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > I'd like to see all custome...

BSOD After WinXP Install
I have a new HP 311-1000NR netbook, which came with WinXP Home in english installed. I have been trying to re-install WinXP in spanish from known working CD. The install fprmats the disk and proceeds through two install phases/reboots, apparently correctly. But when rebooting the third time into what would notmally be the configuration phase, the boot stalls at the WinXP slider screen, then does BSOD, reboots, repeats indefinitely. Attempt to boot into safe mode - same result - partial boot, BSOD, reboot. In each case after BSOD the reboot starts so fast I can't get any error ...

winxp
Je vous propose ce lien: http://www.idpz.net/Alf24/Melanie_blog.html Mon blog perso @pluche ...

Multiple Joins in DataAdapters
I have a second question related to my previous post subject: Mapping Nested XML to Relational Tables The XML document which loads into the dataset must then be stored in relational tables and recalled later. As mentioned in my previous posting, the document is fairly complex and requires over 20 tables to store the dataset record. Is it necessary to create 20 DataAdapters to store and recall the document, or can it be done with one DataAdapter containing multiple joins? Each XML document represents one record in the dataset and records must be added, recalled, and sometimes deleted from the...

Not able to save changes to system settings
I have 3.0 with sample data. My issue is that I'm not able to save any changes to the system settings. I have SA right. Any idea? Thanks. This is normally caused by a incorrect SQL Reporting Services setup. Check that your SRS Server is working, check that srs's url is well configured at deployment manager. And if it doesn't solve the problem you should read this KB article. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916159/en-us -- Marco Amoedo Plain Concepts http://geeks.ms/blogs/marco/ "HEC" wrote: > I have 3.0 with sample data. My issue is that I'm not abl...

xyScatterChart macro works on WinXP Pro & not on WinXP Home?
I have a ScatterChart macro that works perfectly with Excel2000 on my Win XP Pro computer. I select two columns and click on the macro and the xyScatterChart is displayed. When I moved this exact same code to my new Laptop with Excel2000 and WinXP Home, the macro would not produce a xyScatterChart but produced a double line chart with two lines(two sets of points) for the selected two columns instead of an xyScatterChart. I can't figure out why the code below works on my WinXP Pro desktop and not the same on my WinXP Home laptop. Thanks for any help. Dennis ====myScatterChart Code==...

Terminal server install domain problem help please
Hi everyone, this is my setup windows 2003 sbs acting as domain controller, exchange, microsoft crm ect windows 2003 standard acting as a terminal server and member server I had a problem with folder redirection which works fine but i manually had to give permission to each individual on the sbs server to the folder redirection folder, is this normal? seems cumbersum My problem is i have install microsoft crm on the 2003 sbs and now i am trying to configure access via the outlook client on the terminal server but i can only get it to work for the administrator. i noticed under the term...

Need to reinstall WinXP
Hi, I'm planning to reinstall Windows XP Home on my system as there are currently too many conflicts and speed problems. The last time I did this I seem to remember that I misunderstood the procedure I should follow to make backups of all my Microsoft Outlook data - and so I ended up losing all my appointments, reminders, tasks - and many, many important emails. So, instead of making the same mistake again I was wondering if people here would be able to offer me advice on making sure I (a) save all my Outlook data and (b) successfully import it into Outlook again when the reinstall ...

Replicated account for a different domain
Hard for me to figure out how to properly ask this question. I have a user on an Exchange 5.5 server. They want to use a WM5 device now. We have a 2003 server for another domain in the company. We may eventually migrate all their mailboxes to the 2003 server but it will be a couple of months away. I was thinking perhaps we could use some sort of rule to continuously copy all their e-mail, contacts and calendar onto another e-mail account so they could at least get real time data on the PDA. Perhaps there is a way to set up just one e-mail address of the other domain on this exchange...

Multiple installations in one Domain?? MS CRM 1.2!
Hello, we have the following problem: We need a MS CRM of 1.2 server for some tests. We had installed a 1.2 Server in former times. We have since deinstalled the Server. Now we wanted to install CRM on another server. But MS CRM 1.2 wants to start the services of the first server. We have problems with the access to the ActiveDirectory. But we have all rights! A tried Redeployment breaks off while connecting the IIS. Any ideas? Greetings, Stefan I responded on the crm sandbox site. ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "...

encryptet Mail is no able to open... (XP)
If i try to open an encryptet mail, i get the password- inputbox. but nothing happens. if i save the password, nothing happens either! and after i saved the pw and klick on to another encryptet mail it suddenly opens. but i want to open it without saving the password! has anybody had this problem before? ...

WinXP clock
Does WinXp sync it's clock to some outside resource if it's available? I downloaded an atomic sync software. Found my clock to be about 5 minutes off. Synced it and scheduled it to be synced every hour. It's now about 15 minutes later and it's off by 5 minutes again. Historically, evidently, it's always 5 minutes off which makes me believe it is syncing with something I'm not aware of. How do I troubleshoot this? thanks The system clock is losing time or not keeping time accurately. http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/comp/mbsys/cmosLosingTime-c.html ...

Need to be able to just click on the check box to check
I have a form that I am working with and need to check boxes by just clicking on the check box. How do I make that the default mode instead of the not checked box the default mode. If these are check box form fields, the document must be protected for them to work the way you describe. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "warden" <warden@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F789E995-2256-4BED-9E40-1EA9BF1DAA37@microsoft.com... >I have a form that I am working with and need ...

WinXP password
I recently decided I needed a password to protect XP. As administrator, I went to Ctrl Panel/User Accounts and entered a password and confirmed it. Since then, nothing has changed when I start my WinXP Home/SP3. It's as though I had never made the change. Have I missed something? Thanks, Jim. In the Start menu Run box enter CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2 and then toggle the "Users must enter a user name..." setting. John Jim Cladingboel wrote: > I recently decided I needed a password > to protect XP. As administrator, I went to > Ctrl Panel/User Ac...

Only Administrator can send mail to certain domains
Since installing a new Exchange Server (Exchange 2003 w/ SP2 on Server 2003 w/ SP1) we have been unable to send mail to certain domains. And it looks like those domains are also using Exchange Servers. Today we found that emails sent from the Administrator account go through OK but all others do not. The return failure messages vary but predominately we rec'v the message that the email could not be delivered in the specified time. I've checked the usual suspects - checked Reverse DNS, telnet succesfully to their mail server. What does the Administrator's ability to send and ever...

WinXP SP2 and VC6
As is known, the service pack 2 of Windows XP has introduced some restrictions for RPC interfaces. For RPC applications to work properly, code has to be modified; one way is to register an RPC interface with the flag RPC_IF_ALLOW_CALLBACKS_WITH_NO_AUTH. This flag is defined in rpcdce.h in VC7 - but I could not find it in VC6. What is the way to make it work in VC6?! My first idea was to copy the definition from VC7'2 rpcdce.h into my VC6 code - that works indeed, but I do not really like it - it has such a "dirty" smell... Anything known here?! -- Hans Straub "hs&q...

TD Banknorth: Is anyone able to connect with Money?
On 5/23/2005, Bank of New Hampshire and the other Banknorth divisions changed their names, web addresses, etc. to TD Banknorth. Since this happened, I've been unable to connect to my accounts. Money is still trying to connect to https://secure.banknorth.com instead of https://secure.tdbanknorth.com, which is causing Money to get an "index.html" error page instead of an OFX response. Intuit warned its users of the upcoming change over the weekend, and Quicken users were able to update their online banking details when the change went through on Monday. The only change I&...

domain controller 01-25-06
The following is a quote from CRM3.0 Implementation Guide: "Microsoft CRM Server must not be installed on a Domain Controller." CRM3.0 should be able to run on an SBS, which system, normally, is a DC, as well. Has anybody installed and run CRM3.0 on a DC? Thank you. The quote should really state "Microsoft CRM Server must not be installed on a Domain Controller, with the exception of SBS 2003 when it is fully supported" CRM3.0 is designed to run on SBS 2003, just as CRM 1.2 was designed to run on SBS 200 or 2003 Peter Lynch ****************************** &...

WinXP Upgrade
I have an older Windows 2000 machine. I am attempting to upgrade to XP. I do not have the password to log onto the machine and can not get it. I have the XP disk and when I attept to boot from there it stalls at "Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM :". And and all suggestions on how to get past this would be appreciated. Thank you, "pjhjones" <pjhjones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2D79457-76F0-4E3C-A30C-C824233AADAC@microsoft.com... > I have an older Windows 2000 machine. I am attempting to upgrade to XP. > > I do not have th...

Adding Individual Mulitple Domains to Active Directory
We are a simple single domain using 2003 Server. Our company is now merging with several other companies. Using AD how do I add domains of the other companies and yet have each domain be separate from the others? For example our domain would be xyz.com, now I need to add abc.com to our AD. I don't want to have abc.xyz.com - I want them both to be separate but using the same AD. I'm told there is an article in Microsoft on how to setup multiple domains in a single AD environment but I haven't found it yet. Could I not use the current DC that houses our AD? We don'...

Install Agent on other domain
Hi, I have a problem installing DPM 2010 RC Agents in other domain. Here is the scenario: I have Domain1 and Domain2 ,and they have trusted relationships. My DPM 2010 RC Server is installed on Domain1. When I try to install the agent to a computer with Windows 7 in the other domain it fails and show me this message: Unable to connect to the Active Directory Domain Services database. Make sure that the DPM server is a member of a domain and that a domain controller is running. Also verify that there is network connectivity between the DPM server and the domain control...

domain issues w/ ActiveSync
We have a Forest w/ 2 trees with one domain in each tree. Exchange is setup w/ 2 Admin Groups (one server in each domain). When a user sync's using ActiveSync from the Root domain (company.com), everything is fine. When a user sync's using ActiveSync in the other domain (company.co.uk), they get ERROR_500 unless we add an additional SMTP address to their account from the root domain. In turn, they need a "company.co.uk" email address as well as a "company.com" email address. We're trying to not do this, but if we do not, they cannot sync. We just want th...

control works fine in win2k,but fial to run in winxp.IE throw a er
control works fine in win2k,but fial to run in winxp.IE throw a error I develop an activex control using vc6(sp6).I pack it in a cab and refer mfc42.cab in the inf file.It can be downloaded to client when the client OS in win2k and works fine.It also can be downloaded to client when the client OS in winxp,but fail to run.IE6 throw a error dialog box,show following : sign error AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106 ModName: mfc42.dll ModVer: 6.0.8665 Offset: 00003922 and then send error to microsoft,then shut down. I need you help.Thank you very much . ...

Am I able to manage multiple email accounts
I have several email accounts including Gmail, HOtmail and corporate. I can't make Entourage mail (2004) list individual accounts or find how to manage profiles. Apple mail works but doesn't allow me to insert a tiff company logo without making it an attachment. Outlook allows for all of the above.<br> Appreciate help > This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3285235088_9822952 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit On 2/7/08 1...

Installed fonts in WinXP but don't show in any Office program
I've tried all the suggestions given in here (TweakUI, resetting printer, etc.), but NONE of those worked. I have 585 fonts in my Windows font folder. Does Office have a limit on the number of fonts it will display in the drop down Font box? In article <B4E90712-7D9E-4575-915C-3DA41C745442@microsoft.com>, JeffH wrote: > I've tried all the suggestions given in here (TweakUI, resetting printer, > etc.), but NONE of those worked. I have 585 fonts in my Windows font folder. > Does Office have a limit on the number of fonts it will display in the drop > down...