Windows Server 2008 RC2 in Windows Server 2003 Domain

I'm having trouble with one domain controller that has all of the FSMO roles
(I have 6 Domain controllers in total running server 2003) I updated my
schema to version 47 (Windows server 2008 RC2) and would like to add a new
physical server with W2K8 R2 on it and transfer all of the FSMO roles on it.

I don't want to upgrade all DC's yet to 2008 R2 yet, so the domain
functional level will stay the same for a while (Windows Server 2003).  Is
there anything I should watch out for with this scenario?  Or by just adding
a W2k8 R2 box with all the FSMO roles and then decommissioning the other
server will be ok.

Thanks!

Hello Martin
First of all , did you tried transfering FSMO roles to another DC. I assume
that other DCs are on remote sites and this DC you're talking is in a Hub
location and that's why you want to replace it.I also assume that the problem
is about the server(hardware) itself.

Make backups of all your Domain Controllers and verify you can restore these
backups when needed.

You need to run the following commands on the following servers in your
Active Directory environment
adprep.exe /forestprep (Schema Master)
adprep.exe /domainprep (Infrastructure Master)
adprep.exe /domainprep /gpprep (Infrastructure Master)
adprep.exe /rodcprep (Domain Naming Master) (If you will deploy RODCs)

Transfer all the FSMO roles to a single DC (Try using a DC other than the
problematic one)

Making all DCs Global Catalog Servers is also a good practice

Have a nice day

Best Regards
Baris DOGAN
MCT ,CCNA, MCSE 2K/2K3 + Security

"Martin C" wrote:

> I'm having trouble with one domain controller that has all of the FSMO roles
> (I have 6 Domain controllers in total running server 2003) I updated my
> schema to version 47 (Windows server 2008 RC2) and would like to add a new
> physical server with W2K8 R2 on it and transfer all of the FSMO roles on it.
>
> I don't want to upgrade all DC's yet to 2008 R2 yet, so the domain
> functional level will stay the same for a while (Windows Server 2003).  Is
> there anything I should watch out for with this scenario?  Or by just adding
> a W2k8 R2 box with all the FSMO roles and then decommissioning the other
> server will be ok.
>
> Thanks!
I have an article on upgrading your forest from 2003 to 2008 at
http://www.pbbergs.com/windows/articles.htm
Select Upgrade Your Forest to 2008

This will give you some different things to think about

--
Paul Bergson
MVP - Directory Services

http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewGroups.  This
posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
"Martin C" <MartinC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having trouble with one domain controller that has all of the FSMO
> roles
> (I have 6 Domain controllers in total running server 2003) I updated my
> schema to version 47 (Windows server 2008 RC2) and would like to add a new
> physical server with W2K8 R2 on it and transfer all of the FSMO roles on
> it.
>
> I don't want to upgrade all DC's yet to 2008 R2 yet, so the domain
> functional level will stay the same for a while (Windows Server 2003).  Is
> there anything I should watch out for with this scenario?  Or by just
> adding
> a W2k8 R2 box with all the FSMO roles and then decommissioning the other
> server will be ok.
>
> Thanks!

0
Paul
4/21/2010 12:16:46 PM
Hello Martin,

See my blog about upgrading the domain:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/archive/2010/02/10/upgrading-an-active-directory-domain-from-windows-server-2003-to-windows-server-2008-or-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx

What trouble do you have in detail?

There is no problem to run the functional levels as the current state.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> I'm having trouble with one domain controller that has all of the FSMO
> roles (I have 6 Domain controllers in total running server 2003) I
> updated my schema to version 47 (Windows server 2008 RC2) and would
> like to add a new physical server with W2K8 R2 on it and transfer all
> of the FSMO roles on it.
>
> I don't want to upgrade all DC's yet to 2008 R2 yet, so the domain
> functional level will stay the same for a while (Windows Server 2003).
> Is there anything I should watch out for with this scenario?  Or by
> just adding a W2k8 R2 box with all the FSMO roles and then
> decommissioning the other server will be ok.
>
> Thanks!

0
Meinolf

Outlook 2003 Outbox #5
I compose and immediately send Outlook 2003 email messages. Every newly sent message also redundantly goes into the Outbox, forcing me to periodically go there and delete those messages. How can I compose and send emails without a copy going into Outbox? "gatordawg" <james.butts@oracle.com> wrote in message news:1171819936.194411.7800@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com... >I compose and immediately send Outlook 2003 email messages. Every > newly sent message also redundantly goes into the Outbox, forcing me > to periodically go there and delete those messages. How can I c...

OWA Issues on Macs With New Server
We recently replaced our Exchange server with an upgraded, new one. We went from Windows 2000 server to Windows 2003 Server for the OS, but Exchange has always been 2003. Outlook on PCs and Entourage on Macs work fine. OWA on PCs works fine. However, when users login to OWA on Macs (And, they can login to it fine...) the following two things happen: 1.) They have to click on everything twice (not a double click but two single clicks) for it to open. If just one click, it will go about 10-15 minutes and then open, but 2 clicks makes whatever it is open right away. (For anything, ...

outlook 2003 automatic send receive does not receive all emails
I have 80 users using outlook 2003 with windows XP. When the user press the send/receive button stacks on "send/receive status ##%". Even at sending... Sometimes the outlook completes the send/receive and the user doesn't receive all the emails. If I go on OWA there are new emails that the user didn\t download even though the send/receive is complete. to resolve for the moment the problem, the users have to close the outlook, open it again and then either automatic send/receive or manually they receive the new emails. I checked all windows and office upd...

reinstalling windows

Windows live mail

Problems with creating a budget in 2003
I have set up my annual Bills and Deposits on the MANAGE SCHEDULED BILLS AND DEPOSITS screen. Now, when I go to create a budget Money automaticlly recoginizes the bills and deposits that I have set and puts them into my budget along with a dollar amount which is great. However, once I am done creating the rest of my budget and Money shows me the overview of what I spent compared to what I budgeted, it shows that I had NO money budgeted for the bills that were automaticlly transferred in from the SCHEDULED BILLS AND DEPOSITS screen even though when I was designing the budget it had ...

Windows Vista

open windows

Outlook 2003 and VPN
We are connecting to an Exchange 2003 server on a Win 2K server with Outlook 2003 clients. I want to set up outlook to automatically connect to a VPN when they open Outlook. Right now are remote users have to connect to their ISP, Connect to VPN, open Outlook. I would like them to be able to just connect to there isp and than open Outlook and have Outlook extablish the VPN. Thanks ...

Can't install Exchange System Manager 2003..
Hi, The OS is Windows Server 2003 SP1 (only 1 partition, the free disk space is only 8 GB) and actually what I'm trying to do is to have a mailbox for a user from Domain B but the Exchange 2003 is in Domain A. Domain A (domainA.hq.com) and B (domainB.hq.com) are under one forest. I have checked some of the emails that were sent to this newsgroup and they suggested that I just need to install the Exchange System Manager on Domain B but I can't proceed with the "Install Exchange System Management Tools Only" installation wizard (Exchange 2003 Std Edt CD). I'm stuck ...

Windows pdate Status: Failed

CRM 1.2 on SBS 2003: External Error. No Such Object on Server
Users cannot get to CRM via WEB. They would get error box: No Such Object on Server. I got this from Event Viewer: MSCRM Platform Error Report: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Error: There is no such object on the server. Error Message: There is no such object on the server. Error Details: Details on this error have not been provided by the platform. Source File: Not available Line Number: Not available Stack Trace Info: at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()...

Outlook Mail not working with Windows 7

Windows Explorer doesn't show keywords

MS Exchange and failed relay for secondary domain
I need to add a second domain set of e-mail addresses to our Exchange server. I have updated all MX records as required on the domain and added the second domain to the default recipient policy on the server. When trying to send an e-mail from outside our organization to the new address I receive: Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for newuseraddress@newdomain.com Remote-MTA: 192.168.8.17 When I telnet to the mailserver and use helo to try to send to the new address I receive: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for newuseraddress@newdomain.com The checkbox is checked in the defau...

Windows recovery console

How to stop inbound mail sent from invalid domains
I'm aware of senderID in Exch2003 SP2. I'm also aware that this does not solve my problem. We are getting hammered with spam...sent from fnord. Example: FROM: sdlkfjsd@udududud.tuuuu TO: ValidUser@MyCompany.com I understand that senderID is used to stop forgery (if the world+dog added SFP info to DNS zone and they have not yet) but SenderID goes above and beyond what I'm looking for...I'm asking for something more basic. How to I get exchange to drop email sent such that the server email address's domain is totally bogus? (Forget SPF records...the domain does not eve...

Slow server
I have two questions. Our email server is running win2k and exchange 2k3. We have a dual processor P3 650mhz with 1gb ram 210gb raid data drive. This is all for 100 users. Our email is taking up to 1 hour to send or recieve. Is our server underpowered? Also I am getting alot of application log errors saying a non-delivery report with status code of 4.0.0 (or sometimes 5.0.0 or 5.4.0) has been gererated. What does this mean and how do I fix it. I have the mircosoft press exchange server books and I can't seem to get this taken care of. Any help would be great. Thanks, Da...

windows messenger/Outlook 2002

Windows update error

exchange 2000 server help
Hello all, I am hoping someone out there can help me out. I am going to use the domain xyz.com as an example. Our problem is that our mail is sometimes being rejected from some smtp servers because of our fully qualified smtp hostname, which is showing up as hostname-exch.xyz.local. To remove the ".local" part, do I need to go through the trouble of changing our domain name or is there a simple change I can make on the server which will change the name from hostname-exch.xyz.local to hostname-exch.xyz.com. When we send out email to an internet address, the users email address sh...