upgrade CA\DC from 2003 to 2008

Hello all

I am planning on upgrading my last 2003 sp2 DC to 2008 in a couple of days.
Currently this DC is a GC DNS server, and a enterprise root CA. I am
planning on doing an in-place upgrade of this DC. I have a good system state
backup, and I will be taking a backup of the CA database, before I do the
upgrade.  Does 2008 do anything to the root certificate after the upgrade?
or do I need to perform any steps after the upgrade to 2008 that are
specific to certificate services?

Thanks very much

0
sawyer

I haven't heard of anything that needs to be completed, but this isn't the
place for this question, this has nothing to do with Directroy Services.  I
have coped the security NewsGroup in and hopefully someone over there can
give you a complete answer.

They are the PKI experts.

On a side note, I would suggest you not do an in place upgrade on a DC (Or
any other server).

--
Paul Bergson
MVP - Directory Services

http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"sawyer" <occompguy@cox.net> wrote in message
> Hello all
>
> I am planning on upgrading my last 2003 sp2 DC to 2008 in a couple of
> days. Currently this DC is a GC DNS server, and a enterprise root CA. I am
> planning on doing an in-place upgrade of this DC. I have a good system
> state backup, and I will be taking a backup of the CA database, before I
> do the upgrade.  Does 2008 do anything to the root certificate after the
> upgrade? or do I need to perform any steps after the upgrade to 2008 that
> are specific to certificate services?
>
> Thanks very much

0
Paul
2/1/2010 7:26:12 PM
Hello Sawyer,

In addition to use the security newsgroup see also:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c70bd7cd-9f03-484b-8c4b-279bc29a3413&displaylang=en

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc742515(WS.10).aspx

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> Hello all
>
> I am planning on upgrading my last 2003 sp2 DC to 2008 in a couple of
> days. Currently this DC is a GC DNS server, and a enterprise root CA.
> I am planning on doing an in-place upgrade of this DC. I have a good
> system state backup, and I will be taking a backup of the CA database,
> before I do the upgrade.  Does 2008 do anything to the root
> certificate after the upgrade? or do I need to perform any steps after
> the upgrade to 2008 that are specific to certificate services?
>
> Thanks very much

0
Meinolf
2/2/2010 6:34:52 AM
Ok I will take a look thanks for the links

"Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" <meiweb@(nospam)gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hello Sawyer,
>
> In addition to use the security newsgroup see also:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c70bd7cd-9f03-484b-8c4b-279bc29a3413&displaylang=en
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc742515(WS.10).aspx
>
> Best regards
>
> Meinolf Weber
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> confers no rights.
> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>
>> Hello all
>>
>> I am planning on upgrading my last 2003 sp2 DC to 2008 in a couple of
>> days. Currently this DC is a GC DNS server, and a enterprise root CA.
>> I am planning on doing an in-place upgrade of this DC. I have a good
>> system state backup, and I will be taking a backup of the CA database,
>> before I do the upgrade.  Does 2008 do anything to the root
>> certificate after the upgrade? or do I need to perform any steps after
>> the upgrade to 2008 that are specific to certificate services?
>>
>> Thanks very much

0
sawyer

Problem with Outlook 2003/Cached mode/Viruses
Every once in a while a user will get an e-mail into their mailbox on Exchange that's infected with a virus. From that point on Outlook refuses to download any new mail (including the virus-infected e-mail.) Sometimes we can delete the e-mail using OWA, sometimes not. If we take Outlook out of cached mode, all of the e-mail appears, and after deleting the infected mail and restarting Outlook back in cached mode, all mail synchs correctly. They're running Exchange 2000, using Symantec Corporate AV (on the workstations, server, and the Exchange plug-in.) Any ideas? TIA Looks l...

Exchange 2003 /Exchweb/Cabs folder
I'm having trouble with OWA in Exchange 2003 Standard (running on Windows 2003 Standard). When trying to access OWA internally, I get placeholders instead of images and the word "Loading...". This seems to be pretty well addressed in KB280823. The problem I'm seeing is that when I remove the virtual folder for Exchweb and recreate it, I do not get a Cabs folder. The rest of the folders are there, but not the Cabs. This folder does not exist in \Program Files\Exchsrvr\Exchweb, either. Where does this folder come from? How can I get it in place? Is it even part o...

Outlook 2003 dials wrong connection
I am helping a friend. She uses Outlook 2003 on XP SP2. Up to yesterday she had one ISP with an email account at that ISP. The ISP name is Freeserve. She wanted another email address for work and decided to sign up with another ISP, Tiscali, to get a new email. She uses pay as you go dialup with both Freeserve and Tiscali. The new Tiscali connection is the default connection for IE and shows as the default connection in Connect To|Show All Connections. Indeed if not connected, going to IE and requesting an online page brings the dial-up connection dialog for Tiscali. With Outlook 2003 h...

Access 2003, sharing application over a Novell Network
I recently built a simple 12,000 record database (a little over 7 MB) for my assoicates all over the country via our VPN . It was created in Access 2003, converted to Access 2000, and runs off a shared drive on a Novell server in Washintgton DC. The response times have been incredibly slow, upwards of a minute to query an initial record tied to the primary key. (although it responds instantly when running off a single stand alone PC) Does anyone have any tips about how I can make it run quicker or respond faster over a Novell network via VPN? It's pretty much dead in the water no...

Vista x86 Upgrade to Win7 x64

Editing Outlook 2003 Rules
I sort incoming mail using Rules but these are getting a complete mess. Many could be combined but it is very slow and messy editing them. Can anyone recommend a good utility to help do the job? MB There are no utilities that work with rules. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Let's...

Reading Pane in Outlook 2003
Is there a way, in outlook 2003, to disable the reading pane on all folders and to set the default for newly created folders to be disabled? eli silverman <elisilverman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way, in outlook 2003, to disable the reading pane on all > folders and to set the default for newly created folders to be > disabled? Start Outlook using the /nopreview switch. -- Brian Tillman ...

Installing Office 2007 and keeping Office 2003
My laptop computer has Office 2003 installed. I would like to install Office 2007, but keep Office 2003 as well. I need to do that as I have several Excel 2003 adins for statistical analysis and risk analysis and I do not want to lose those adins (they do not work with 2007). How can I do that? Make sure you uinstall it in a separate directly and not as an upgrade. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Bruckner" <Bruckner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD07FEC5-AC4E-4...

Outlook 2003 Sort issue
I am using Outlook 2003. The issue, which is Intermittent, when i'm viewing my mailbox and i click on an email just to highlight but not open and then click on the subject column to sort by subject. The mail sorts by subject but the email that i had highlighted isn't highlighted anymore and is lost in the sort. My mail is being delevered to a .PST file and i am running windows XP. Has anyone seen this problem? Please help Yes, I've seen that behavior before. I don't think there's any fix for it, unfortunately. -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower htt...

Upgrading the CPU?

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

MS Office for Mac 2008: Toolbars Disappear
Toolbars do not appear even though they are checked as being active in the "View" drop-down menu. This occurs every time a Word or Excel document is opened, whether a new blank document or an existing one. Unchecking the "Standard" or "Format" toolbar and then rechecking them make the toolbar appear but there are no icons visible. Clicking anywhere on the document then makes the icons appear. Using time-machine, reinstalled MS Office to a version two months prior to when this started. No change. Deleted and reinstalled from original CD and then insta...

Access 2007 does not duplicate Access 2003 action
I have a report designed in Access 2003. It forces a new page every time Group(0)'s value changes. That's what I want. When I move this file from my XP desktop to my Vista desktop (do not convert) and run it in Access 2007, the Group(0) does not forced a new page when its value changes. How do I correct this? Ed Suggestions: 1. If you have not yet done so, add your database's folder as a trusted location under: Office Button | Access Options | Trust Center | Trust Center Settings 2. What view are you using for your report? Access 2007 has a new Report view and a Lay...

Demoting old DC
I have a Secondary/Backup DC (, Primary Died, computer crashed, it wont be turned on again) which I promoted to primary (didnt sieze schema master role) and then merged users and computer to a new dc with a different domain name, used ADMT and now all computers are on the new domain . I wont to get rid of the old DC by demoting it or can i just remove the trust between the new and old domain and formatt the old DC? If not do i have to seize all of the FSMO roles before demoting it ? Any other tips what has to be done? Below are a couple articles on demoting ...

Want to Display Most Recently Entered Record in Access 2003 Language Learning App
Hi all, I'm new to Access. I've got a good bit of VBA under my belt, but I've been using it in Excel, so I'm a bit lost in all this new functionality. Anyway, I'm trying to build an application to help me study Romanian. I have a table, Phrases! as follows: Phrases Phrase ID AutoNumber unique identifier LearningSession Number convenient way to group phrases for study Entered Date/Time the date and time the phrase was entered Source Memo textbook, page number, etc... (or "Mom said it") Romanian Memo the phrase in Romanian English ...

Problems with Exchange 5.5 on windows 2000 Active Directory migration to Exchange 2003
Hi All I hope that someone out there can help me. I have an exchange 5.5 system sitting on a windows 2000 server Active directory server. I have installed a new windows 2003 server with exchange 2003 as the messaging platform. I have gone through the prep for windows 2000, moved all the roles, joined the domain and that all worked out great. The problem is that when I run the exchange migration wizard I get the following error: Unable to logon to the server. Please verify the server name, port, user name and password. I believe that this is a problem relating to the LDAP port (3...

Will Publisher 2002 work with Office 2003?
I have Publisher 2002 and I'm needing to update my Office software for school to 2003. Will my Publisher 2002 still work with Office 2003? Hi LaLana (LaLana@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I have Publisher 2002 and I'm needing to update my Office software || for school to 2003. Will my Publisher 2002 still work with Office || 2003? Yes it will. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Better watch it Brian. the last t...

XP Upgrade

Excel 2003 colour
I have the following problem with Excel I have seen that a simila question was asked some 18 months ago but am unable to find th solution I am using Office 2003 Pro and my Excel 2003 will not "fill" cells wit any colour nor allow fonts to be shown in color. But the print preview shows the colour and infils correctly. When clicking on the cell to edit it the colour is shown. When opening an imported worksheet the colour is shown until I make an change to the book and all the colour disappears. No colour is displayed on imported worksheets created in earlie versions either. Th...

Excel Re-calculation 2000 compared to 2003
My company has recently deployed MS Office 2003. The previously deployed version was Office 2000. One of our users has an 11MB financial workbook that contains lots of formula. Mostly of IF, SUMIF and SUM calculations. There are plenty of links between the 25 worksheets within the one workbook but no links to other workbooks. Entering data into the workbook using Excel 2000 is nearly instantaneous. However entering data into Excel 2003 takes about 15 seconds each time I press enter (or direction key) as the workbook recalculates each time. The settings for calculation are identical with cal...

Not seeing "Perform special upgrade" after SP4a upgrade
After i upgraded a GP 8.0 to sp 4a, i was not given the option in GP Utilities to perform a special upgrade. The SQL directories are located in the Great Plains folder like they should be. Any ideas? If you go into the dex.ini file and change synchronization to true and save it. Then when you open GP Utilities the special upgrade will run. "Nick" wrote: > After i upgraded a GP 8.0 to sp 4a, i was not given the option in GP > Utilities to perform a special upgrade. The SQL directories are located in > the Great Plains folder like they should be. Any ideas? ...

Upgrading to Money 2005 Beware!
I am a 3 year user of Money 2003 and Money2004 Small Business. Although I have had minor problems, these products have been very stable and have greatly enhanced my financial control. So I was very surprised to find that MIcrosoft put out Money 2005 in its current state. I was receiving sales hints every time I ran 2004 and so I upgraded yesterday. What a mistake! The product has changed so much that nothing went smoothly and all of my records , accounts and history were messed up. Their program just quit several times on me without aborting messages - it just disappeared and I had to l...

Autocomplete in Outlook 2003
We have just upgraded from Office 2000 to office 2003. Previously Outlook would auto complete the email addresses. Despite having all the correct boxes ticked as per the Outlook 2003 help pages, previously entered email addresses still will not auto complete meaning we have to go to the address book to get them every time. This is an irritation to us. Is there a problem with this when upgrading Office rather than doing a fresh install? Is there a fix (however all updates have been downloaded from the Office update site. Any help would be appreciated. Not quite. Outlook 2000 had no au...

Money 2005 Upgrade via Download Issue
I currently am using Money 2002 and want to update to 2005. If I go the download route is it the same as buying the CD version? If I go the download route is there a potential problem in installing on a new system? More or less after you get all of the download stuff. Yes. You have to keep the same Passport forever and retain the trial version download to bootstrap the process. Nobody knows how long you will be able to use that d/l to bootstrap the process. Buy the CD. If you read posts here you will find lots of problems with download purchase. The ratio to problems reported to the CD purcha...

News in Outlook 2003
I'm sure this has been answered before but my searches have turned up nothing. I understand that I should be able to add NEWS to the GO menu in Outlook 2003. But when I try to customize the toolbar by dragging the NEWS command to the GO category, it just won't do anything. It refuses to let me add NEWS to the GO menu. What am I missing? To get the Go, News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel |Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch it, clear...