Two Sites / Two domains

im interested in having two domains (child i would assume) at two
physical locations.

I also want to have a PPTP VPN set up for replication and a path for
networking both ways.  Since the one domain manages AV, WSUS and other
applications.  The domains are the names of the family in that house.
The reason for the domains are that individuals like to go through
others files, we also use replication for family pictures and use of
resources at each others residences.  Total storage on our network is
just shy of 5TB's and we also have 5 printers on the servers we all want
to share.  Thus being said, trusts need to be setup.  I am running AD.

Also with my profession I want to be able to work with friends in the
same profession and learn more about our functions of our OS's and
become more profeccient.

Any one with suggestions for me?  Am I nuts for doing something like
this?  For a house I have a bit of over kill

Domain 1
Dell 1600SC as a Domain Controller with 2.2TB NAS.
Home made box as second DC.
Cisco 3750 48 port switch, Cisco 1231 K9 AP for wireless.
Cox premium HSI Docsis 3.0

Domain 2
Home made DC with 2.5 TB storage.
Linksys GB 16 port switch into a cox modem HSI Docsis 3.0

Our city is implimenting Docsis 3.0 speeds are reaching average 66MB
down and 5 MB up.

Thank you for your constructive feedback.  Also suggestions for
completing my goal would be nice and or links for instructions for site
to site connections.  the technet ones didnt work for me..
Home made server

--
snarf2948
snarf2948's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/154328.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
snarf2948

Howdie!

snarf2948 wrote:
> im interested in having two domains (child i would assume) at two
> physical locations.
>
> I also want to have a PPTP VPN set up for replication and a path for
> networking both ways.  Since the one domain manages AV, WSUS and other
> applications.  The domains are the names of the family in that house.
> The reason for the domains are that individuals like to go through
> others files, we also use replication for family pictures and use of
> resources at each others residences.  Total storage on our network is
> just shy of 5TB's and we also have 5 printers on the servers we all want
> to share.  Thus being said, trusts need to be setup.  I am running AD.

You are nuts - but in a good way. Having an AD running at home I
wouldn't consider something that I'd need. Just thinking about the
licencing cost...

Anyway, as a testing and playground this is OK, I think. I have played
with these things a lot. If you feel that the setup is worth the work
involved with it, you should do it. I personally would invest in a fat
machine (maybe two) and Hyper-V/virtualize the whole playground with a
few DCs and domains if it's just about the learning.

Family members should be able to manage things rather than ask you every
time they want a new share or different permissions. Or are they
supposed to run as domain admins (which would render the whole scenario
useless)?

> Also with my profession I want to be able to work with friends in the
> same profession and learn more about our functions of our OS's and
> become more profeccient.
>
> Any one with suggestions for me?  Am I nuts for doing something like
> this?  For a house I have a bit of over kill
>

> Domain 1
> Dell 1600SC as a Domain Controller with 2.2TB NAS.
> Home made box as second DC.
> Cisco 3750 48 port switch, Cisco 1231 K9 AP for wireless.
> Cox premium HSI Docsis 3.0
>
> Domain 2
> Home made DC with 2.5 TB storage.
> Linksys GB 16 port switch into a cox modem HSI Docsis 3.0
>
> Our city is implimenting Docsis 3.0 speeds are reaching average 66MB
> down and 5 MB up.

With that line, why have two domains in the first place? Are there
security reasons? Why not run a single domain with two sites and have
them replicate? Would be easier to manage. You could create child
domains in VMs if that's what you really want and play with.

Florian
0
Florian
11/13/2009 6:59:27 AM
Hello snarf2948,

I second Florians suggestion. If you really like to built AD for the families,
use a single forest domain with 2 sites. That way with an OU for each family
they can get control for all needs and don't have to contact you for any
change.

For a family network i wouldn't built a domain, even with the need to exchange
data. Therefore you can also use a "fileserver" (XP Pro, Vista, Windows7)
with large harddisk, where you can connect to.

For learning is the use of VMs the easiest and in my opinion best solution.
I do it always that way.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> im interested in having two domains (child i would assume) at two
> physical locations.
>
> I also want to have a PPTP VPN set up for replication and a path for
> networking both ways.  Since the one domain manages AV, WSUS and other
> applications.  The domains are the names of the family in that house.
> The reason for the domains are that individuals like to go through
> others files, we also use replication for family pictures and use of
> resources at each others residences.  Total storage on our network is
> just shy of 5TB's and we also have 5 printers on the servers we all
> want to share.  Thus being said, trusts need to be setup.  I am
> running AD.
>
> Also with my profession I want to be able to work with friends in the
> same profession and learn more about our functions of our OS's and
> become more profeccient.
>
> Any one with suggestions for me?  Am I nuts for doing something like
> this?  For a house I have a bit of over kill
>
> Domain 1
> Dell 1600SC as a Domain Controller with 2.2TB NAS.
> Home made box as second DC.
> Cisco 3750 48 port switch, Cisco 1231 K9 AP for wireless.
> Cox premium HSI Docsis 3.0
> Domain 2
> Home made DC with 2.5 TB storage.
> Linksys GB 16 port switch into a cox modem HSI Docsis 3.0
> Our city is implimenting Docsis 3.0 speeds are reaching average 66MB
> down and 5 MB up.
>
> Thank you for your constructive feedback.  Also suggestions for
> completing my goal would be nice and or links for instructions for
> site
> to site connections.  the technet ones didnt work for me..
> Home made server
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Meinolf
11/13/2009 10:18:58 AM
Why would you want to build a domain, this is really a bad idea!  Microsoft
recommends each domain has 2 domain controllers, so you should have a total
of 4 dc's in your two domains.  Next they recommend you NOT run any other
application on these DC's so each site will need another workstation.  What
about backups?  Now you need to back up your directory structure, you have
additional machines you have to run AV against, etc...  The you have to buy
four server licenses that will cost you near $2,000.00.

What is wrong with a workgroup?  Each location can provide a user Id to the
others and share out what needs to be shared out to the other location.  If
you were trying to build out a test lab and want to learn that is one thing
but what you are attempting IMHO is a huge maintenance issue.  If you are
dead set on having a domain, then at least make it a single domain with two
sites (Each site your home) and each site have their own dc.

I don't see much value gained from a domain but I see a lot of potential
issues and a lot more money spent

--
Paul Bergson
MVP - Directory Services

http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"snarf2948" <snarf2948.41ktbb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> im interested in having two domains (child i would assume) at two
> physical locations.
>
> I also want to have a PPTP VPN set up for replication and a path for
> networking both ways.  Since the one domain manages AV, WSUS and other
> applications.  The domains are the names of the family in that house.
> The reason for the domains are that individuals like to go through
> others files, we also use replication for family pictures and use of
> resources at each others residences.  Total storage on our network is
> just shy of 5TB's and we also have 5 printers on the servers we all want
> to share.  Thus being said, trusts need to be setup.  I am running AD.
>
> Also with my profession I want to be able to work with friends in the
> same profession and learn more about our functions of our OS's and
> become more profeccient.
>
> Any one with suggestions for me?  Am I nuts for doing something like
> this?  For a house I have a bit of over kill
>

> Domain 1
> Dell 1600SC as a Domain Controller with 2.2TB NAS.
> Home made box as second DC.
> Cisco 3750 48 port switch, Cisco 1231 K9 AP for wireless.
> Cox premium HSI Docsis 3.0
>
> Domain 2
> Home made DC with 2.5 TB storage.
> Linksys GB 16 port switch into a cox modem HSI Docsis 3.0
>
> Our city is implimenting Docsis 3.0 speeds are reaching average 66MB
> down and 5 MB up.
>
> Thank you for your constructive feedback.  Also suggestions for
> completing my goal would be nice and or links for instructions for site
> to site connections.  the technet ones didnt work for me..
> Home made server
>

> --
> snarf2948
> snarf2948's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/154328.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/active-directory/1270647.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Paul
11/13/2009 1:28:21 PM
I was trying to find out what would be the best way to do this.  Thank
you for all the opinions.  I think ill tear down the additional doamin
and setup a site because I do have two DC's, one at each site.

As far as why would I want this?  I have a WSUS server for updates.
Previously I was going to their house to do updates and manage the
EUD's.  Now I see this being benificial to me because i no longer have
to travel.  I can also use applications to remote in and assist them if
needed.

I have both networks on a class c and two seperate subnets.

Also to those who may ask... I do have a vilid license for all my
software because I value my certifications.  I have a COA on each box
thats on the network with a vaild license.  As far as backups go, I have
a LTO2 tape on only one machine.  My finances couldnt take me that far
for one at each site.

Now since I like the two sites, how do I rename my domain to something
that fits both sites?  Wow this is going to be a maintence intensive
setup, but after its running, things will be so easy to manage and run.

--
snarf2948
snarf2948's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/154328.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/active-directory/1270648.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
snarf2948

SPF POLICY & reference to old delete domain in error message?????
Hi, Using SBS with exhcange 2003 exchange server, and get following errors: Many emails with this message. As I understand these domains have no SPF record. How can I disable this check??? ALso, I have domains a.com and b.com, and deleted XXXXXXX.com a year sgo. Still this message references this old obsolote domain name called XXXXXX.com. How can I chnage this? Thank you in advance, ================================================================== The following recipient(s) could not be reached: steve@xyx.com on 5/18/2006 8:45 AM There was a SMTP communication problem with the re...

Site Down?
-- Frank K The WebNews interface to the MS public groups has been down since Saturday. I understand it's being worked on. Regards, "Frank K" <FrankK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:047E5F8D-CF9B-4DC8-AF63-58650444E3ED@microsoft.com... > > -- > Frank K ...

synchiing two computers?

COUNTIF (?) on two criteria

Mora than one Domain Exchange 2003
Hello! i have instaled an exchange 2003 and i need to use two domain, so the first domain works fine but now i need to use one of the user with another domain. Before this exchange 2003 i was running exchange 5.5 with both domains without any problems. Pls can anybody help me? Many thanks!!! Hi! Yes, the user that use the second domain needs that domain (the second) to be their primary (in fact the only) email adress. Thanks!! Martin. "PhilE" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> escribi� en el mensaje news:F5FF4465-9DF5-4094-B679-776DEBCC8391@microsoft.com... > Does...

Two IF Statements with two answers
In cell J9 I need a formula that would do the following: If G9="Yes" then F9, If G9="No" then -f9 Note: G9 has a drop down list with Yes, No answers. If there are no other alternatives that yes and no =IF(G9="Yes",F9,-F9) otherwise =IF(G9="Yes",F9,IF(G9="No",-F9,"") Regards, Peo Sjoblom "heater" wrote: > In cell J9 I need a formula that would do the following: > > If G9="Yes" then F9, If G9="No" then -f9 > > Note: G9 has a drop down list with Yes, No answers. > =IF(G9=&qu...

Two axis
Positioning the Vertical axes: I have a chart where there are two axes. The first implementation produced the two scales on the right side, one inside, the other outside the chart area. Unusual, but luckily it fits well the chart. I tried to duplicate the feat with another dataset (similar in structure) and did not even get the second scale to show right, left or center (data plotted with two different scales allright). Where is the info to control these functionalities? Tx, Pierre On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:48:13 +0100, pl.carry <pl.carry@wanadoo.fr> wrote= : > Positioning the Vertic...

plot two groups of numbers on one series of xy coordinates.
how to create a plot from separate x and y values. i.e. y values do not correspond to the same set of x values. example x1= 5, y1=10; x2= 8, y2=15 I can read your question 2 ways; A) you data looks like this x y 5 10 8 15 etc. Select the data and make an XY chart B) you have two sets of data x1 y1 5 10 10 12 17 15 21 20 and x2 y2 3 8 7 14 12 19 18 24 Make an XY chart of the first data series Select all the data (including headers) for second set, and use Copy Click the chart to activate it Use Edit | Paste Special .... indicate New Ser...

two variables
I have a query that asks for collcode, collcode2 and booth. On any given day an employee may be collcode or collcode2. I would like to know how many times a certain emp has been paired with another employee. So how do I ask if an employee has been collcode/collcode2 and who the other person was? I hope this question makes sense. Thanks for any help Query one: SELECT CollCode, CollCode2, Booth FROM YourTable UNION ALL SELECT CollCode2, CollCode, Booth FROM YourTable Query Two SELECT CollCode, CollCode2, Count(CollCode) AS TIMESPAIRED FROM QueryOne GROUP BY CollCode, CollCode2 IF y...

Find two PCI instance but load Init() one time
Hi all, I'm developing a stream interface driver for my PCI device under WinCE 6.0 and this driver works very well currently. Now, I got a problem when testing two the same PCI devices with my stream driver. The registry can find two PCI instances (i.e. PCI\Instance\mydrv1, PCI\ Instance\mydrv2) but system only call my XXX_init() one time. Does anyone know what the problem is? The following information is my registry setting: ================================================================== [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\PCI\Template\mydrv] "Dll"="myd...

Comparing two lists for matches
Hi, I am trying to do the following: There are two sets of supplier lists - A List and B List. I need to compare the two lists. Source A is my master. Source B is a subset of that but has contact information for all the suppliers. Hence, my goal is to retrieve the contact information from Source B and match it to the suppliers of Source A. The above can be easliy achieved using a vlookup funtion. But the problem is that some of the supplier names in the two lists are not exact matches. Hence, vlookup does not catch it. For instance, a supplier is listed as ABC Inc. in A list and as ABC, inc....

Routing another domain
I would like to add another domain to my exchange server so that it can act as an SMTP server for another domain. eg My AD is hee.com so my exchange routes @hee.com but i would like exchange to route @projects.com also. Thanks There is a tutorial on this here: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF010.html "scuba19" <scuba19@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EE092E24-ED29-455E-A00F-3BDB7001A023@microsoft.com... >I would like to add another domain to my exchange server so that it >can > act as an SMTP server for another do...

Compare two lists of names
Can you compare two lists of names where one list is last name first and the other is first name last? try this formual: =RIGHT(TRIM(E2),LEN(E2)-FIND(" ",E2))&" "&TRIM(LEFT(TRIM(E2),FIND(" ",E2))) it will convert First name last name to last name, first name or Visa versa. then you can compare your lists. "ea" wrote: > Can you compare two lists of names where one list is last name first and the > other is first name last? ...

Two copies of all Mailboxes
Using my sbs2003 srver with exchange 2003 installed - I notice two copies of all users mail box in the list of mailboxes using outlook 2003 on the same server. When I try to close these I get an error syaing mail boxes in use. I cn not remove them. Can you tell me how to remove these so I have just on mail box visible per user? thx Kevin Cain Class TECHNOLOGY ...

How do I create a chart on two axes with two lines and a bar
I am trying to compare two final stock prices to the average volume. So, teh left axes would have the numbers for the stock prices, and the right axes would have the volume. The two stock prices would be lines using the left, and the volume a bar using the right. I can do one line and one bar, but I can't figure out two lines. Can anyone help? Forget the built in custom types. It's better to build your own. Create your chart using all the data, to produce a chart with three line series all on the primary axis. Select the Volume series, and on the Chart menu, use Chart Type to ch...

Custom Default Address Lists for multiple domains
We have two domains in one exchange site so we can share free/busy and address lists. These two domans are physically two different companies so we both need seperate default address lists that contain: users, groups, public folders and contacts. I've been messing around with filters for a few weeks and have not found any that work. Can anyone give any suggestions.... we'll say the domains are abc.com and xyz.com in a Big Company exchange site. abc.com and xyz.com are in seperate networks and seperate administrative groups. Thanks for any help! ...

how do I display last two digits of a SSN in a separate column
I am trying to create a formula to take an existing list of 8 or 9 digit numbers and display the last two numbers in a separate column. Is this possible? Try =RIGHT(A1,2) -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "katbone1" wrote: > I am trying to create a formula to take an existing list of 8 or 9 digit > numbers and display the last two numbers in a separate column. Is this > possible? Hi Use a formula =3Dright(A1, 2...

2 email domains
Hello, We have sbs2003 and use email domain @companya.com. Mail works fine. Now we have a extra email domain @companyb.com. Email will be retrieve with pop3 connector and is working but email is not delivered to email box with @companyb.com. Its only delivered by this box when we set primary address to @companya.com but then we use @company.com as we reply on a email. What do i do wrong. Do you check the box "This Exchange Organization is responsible for all mail delivery to this address"? At the SMTP Properties in the Recipient Policies? -- Jorge Patricio D�az Guzm�n MCP &qu...

Combining Text and numbers from two cells
Hi all please help i have a cell with a number such as 6000 (a1) and another cell with a text aaa- and i would like to combine them in another cell to make aaa-6000, could somebody please help me with a formula? thanks Andrew -- koba ------------------------------------------------------------------------ koba's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28639 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=492631 Hi! Try this: A1 = 6000 B1 = aaa =B1&"-"&A1 Biff "koba" <koba.1zwtbm_1134361504.8695...

When using the Publisher Web Site Wizard I get an error that Publi
Can somebody help me please? When using the Publisher Web Site Wizard I get an error that Publisher cannot complete the action. I have run a Repair and Reinstallation and the Web Wizard still doesn't work. Has anyone seen this problem before. Sincerely, VanNimRodDius X ...

Working with two Word Documents in Windowjs 7
I'm struggling to adjust to Windows 7 from XP. How do I reduce the size of two Word documents so I can view them "side by side" so to speak. The button that reduces the size of a document shrinks it to a tiny inch or so icon square in the corner of the screen. Is there no choice to view the entire document, reduced in size, when another document is on-screen? Many thanks! When you "restore" a window, it can be resized by dragging the sides. Or you can use the "snap" feature in Windows 7 to arrange windows; see http://windows.microsoft.com/en...

possible to chart two sets of data (4 columns) with common X & Y axes?
Is there a way to combine two sets of data with common X & Y axes on a scatter chart that lets the viewer see that there are two clusters of data (say with different point types or colors)? Here's an example: Column 1: Test session Column 2: Distance traveled under condition 1 Column 3: Travel time under condition 1 Column 4: Distance traveled under condition 2 Column 5: Travel time under condition 2 Columns 2/4 and 3/5 are the Y & X axes respectively. I want to overlay the raw data so that the clusters that emerge from condition 1 and 2 are easily seen (different colored dots fo...

Multiplying two columns
How do I multiply column A (length) by column B (width)? All I want is a new column C (area) where the cells correspond to what I just multiplied if one were to look from left to right. A x B = C. I can do it for two numbers but not whole columns.... In (eg) C1 =A1*B1 Select C1 Point to bottom right corner until you see the plus Double click To get the sum of all A*B you can use: =SUMPRODUCT(A1:A50,B1:B50) -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. ...