Trust problem: DNS name resolution works, nltest /dsgetdc fails

Hello,

one AD ist 2003 forest level, the second AD is in the 2008R2 forest level.
The connection between the two locations is not limited, all traffic will be
forwarded to the remote location.
We want to establish a forest trust between both AD's.

Set up conditional forwarders in both AD-DNS which point to one of the
DNS-Servers of the remote AD. Then we could establish a two way forest trust
created from the 2003 AD, but if we try to verify this from the 2008R2 AD
this fails. If we try to establish the two way trust from the 2008R2 AD this
also fails (typed in the DNS name of the domain, then be requestet to select
the trust type "with windows domain" because the called name is no valid
windows domain name; after click to next the trust assistant stops: could not
find the domain).

Ping (from the 2008R2 location) to the domain fqdn or to the domain netbios
name of the 2003 AD is successful, this means the conditional dns forwarding
works. But nltest /dsgetdc:domain-fqdn fails (Error with domain controller
name: Status = 1355 0x54b ERROR_NO_SUCH_DOMAIN).

A colleague checks the DNS and SRV entries of the remote 2003 AD - these
"seems" to be ok. But anyway, we (the 2008R2 AD) could successful resolve
(ping the domain name and the domain servers) but nltest and the trust agent
doesn't find the remote domain.

Any hints?

Regards,
Rainer

"Rainer" <Rainer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> one AD ist 2003 forest level, the second AD is in the 2008R2 forest level.
> The connection between the two locations is not limited, all traffic will
> be
> forwarded to the remote location.
> We want to establish a forest trust between both AD's.
>
> Set up conditional forwarders in both AD-DNS which point to one of the
> DNS-Servers of the remote AD. Then we could establish a two way forest
> trust
> created from the 2003 AD, but if we try to verify this from the 2008R2 AD
> this fails. If we try to establish the two way trust from the 2008R2 AD
> this
> also fails (typed in the DNS name of the domain, then be requestet to
> select
> the trust type "with windows domain" because the called name is no valid
> windows domain name; after click to next the trust assistant stops: could
> not
> find the domain).
>
> Ping (from the 2008R2 location) to the domain fqdn or to the domain
> netbios
> name of the 2003 AD is successful, this means the conditional dns
> forwarding
> works. But nltest /dsgetdc:domain-fqdn fails (Error with domain controller
> name: Status = 1355 0x54b ERROR_NO_SUCH_DOMAIN).
>
> A colleague checks the DNS and SRV entries of the remote 2003 AD - these
> "seems" to be ok. But anyway, we (the 2008R2 AD) could successful resolve
> (ping the domain name and the domain servers) but nltest and the trust
> agent
> doesn't find the remote domain.
>
> Any hints?
>
> Regards,
> Rainer

Did you select a Domain trust, or a Forest trust?

As for DNS resolution between both sides, you have conditional forwarding
setup, which is one way to do it. Did you set the conditional forwarder on
EACH of the DC/DNS servers?

Is one domain or the other possibly single label name?

Are any of the DCs multhomed and/or have RRAS installed?

Are there any ISP's DNS addresses in any of the DCs' IP properties?

Are there any firewall rules between the two locations? If you plan on
setting up firewall rules, 2003 and 2008 use of emepheral ports have been
changed. It is suggested to allow it wide open, no rules, otherwise expect
issues.

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE &
MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please
contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com
for regional support phone numbers.

0
Ace
4/7/2010 11:22:11 PM
Ace,

thanks for your support. Here are the comments to your questions:

Did you select a Domain trust, or a Forest trust?
Forest Trust

As for DNS resolution between both sides, you have conditional forwarding
setup, which is one way to do it. Did you set the conditional forwarder on
EACH of the DC/DNS servers?
The forwarding is “stored in Active Directory” and set to “Replicate to all
DNS-servers in the organization”

Is one domain or the other possibly single label name?
No

Are any of the DCs multihomed and/or have RRAS installed?
No

Are there any ISP's DNS addresses in any of the DCs' IP properties?
No

Are there any firewall rules between the two locations? If you plan on
setting up firewall rules, 2003 and 2008 use of emepheral ports have been
changed. It is suggested to allow it wide open, no rules, otherwise expect
issues.
No firewall rules (all ports are opened)

Regards,
Rainer

"Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]" wrote:

> [...]
>
> Are there any firewall rules between the two locations? If you plan on
> setting up firewall rules, 2003 and 2008 use of emepheral ports have been
> changed. It is suggested to allow it wide open, no rules, otherwise expect
> issues.
>
> --
> Ace
>
> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
> confers no rights.
>
> Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
> responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.
>
> Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE &
> MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
> Microsoft Certified Trainer
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>
> If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please

Any hints to my last response ?

"Rainer" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Are there any firewall rules between the two locations? If you plan on
> > setting up firewall rules, 2003 and 2008 use of emepheral ports have been
> > changed. It is suggested to allow it wide open, no rules, otherwise expect
> > issues.
> >
> > --
> > Ace
> >
> > This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
> > confers no rights.
> >
> > Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
> > responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.
> >
> > Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE &
> > MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
> > Microsoft Certified Trainer
> > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> >
> > If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please

I am sorry, I missed your response.

Reading back in your original post, and  your response, I assume that =
the Forwarder(s) used on the 2008 side (since you set them to be AD =
Integrated in 2008), are correctly pointing to the 2003 DNS server(s) of =
the 2003 domain you are trying to setup the trust.

I noticed you said when you ping by NetBIOS name, it returns a ping. DNS =
is not used for NetBIOS names, unless you mean you had set a Search =
Suffix for the other domain, and it is resolving by suffixing the =
NetBIOS name to the search suffix of the other domain's domain name, or =
you have WINS in place and have a replication partner to the other =
domain's WINS server?

If nltest is failing from the 2008 side testing communications to the =
2003 side, that will point to a DNS misconfig, as far as I can tell.=20

To test it further, and just for testing, if you remove the Conditional =
Forwarder and create secondary zones for the 2003 domain name on all of =
the 2008 DCs, making sure that the zones transfer, then does nltest and =
the trust work? This step is to try to eliminate whether DNS rsolution =
is a factor here.

Just conjecturing - It could also be based on the DNS names and their =
namespaces. If the DNS domain name such as child.domain.local, yet you =
have a forwarder for domain.local, and there is no domain.local zone =
created, then resolution won't work because it was configured as a =
separate namespace.=20

Can you describe the namespaces on both sides?

Ace

> Any hints to my last response ?
>=20
>=20
> "Rainer" wrote:
>=20
>> Ace,
>>=20
>> thanks for your support. Here are the comments to your questions:
>>=20
>> Did you select a Domain trust, or a Forest trust?             =20
>> Forest Trust
>>=20
>> As for DNS resolution between both sides, you have conditional =
forwarding=20
>> setup, which is one way to do it. Did you set the conditional =
forwarder on=20
>> EACH of the DC/DNS servers?                                 =20
>> The forwarding is =E2=80=9Cstored in Active Directory=E2=80=9D and =
set to =E2=80=9CReplicate to all=20
> [...]

>> > setting up firewall rules, 2003 and 2008 use of emepheral ports =
have been=20
>> > changed. It is suggested to allow it wide open, no rules, otherwise =
expect=20
>> > issues.
>> >=20
>> > --=20
>> > Ace
>> >=20
>> > This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees =
and=20
>> > confers no rights.
>> >=20
>> > Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration =
benefit among=20
>> > responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your =
resolution.
>> >=20
>> > Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, =
MCSE &=20
http://support.microsoft.com=20
>> > for regional support phone numbers.=20
>> >=20
>> > .

0
Ace

CComboBox problem #2
I have a perfectly fine working application (Ap1). And a 2nd application (Ap2), that i want to use one of the dialogs from Ap1 one in. So I copied the relevant data from Ap1.rc to Ap2.rc. Plus the class files for the dialog from Ap1. (i'm not sure of the correct way to copy over a dialog). Anyway, things appeared to be working fine.. Until in OnInitDlg() ((CComboBox*)GetDlgItem(IDC_FIXANG1))->SetCurSel(0); There is an unhandled exception: _AFXWIN_INLINE int CComboBox::SetCurSel(int nSelect) { ASSERT(::IsWindow(m_hWnd)); return (int)::SendMessage(m_hWnd, CB_SETCURSEL, nSelect, 0); ...

Adware Problem
My friend (really) cannot access his inbox on Outlook 2002, because (i'm guessing here) there is a message in there that's running some kind of a macro or script that redirects the inbox to some website. The same thing happens when we click on Outlook Today. Is there any way to totally disable scripting or macros? Thanks! Pete Q. ...

Email Problem #2
I am not sure this is an outlook problem but when i send e-mail, outlook says that it has been sent. It show's in the log that it has been sent but it reaches the destination hours later. Sometimes it never gets to the destination. Nothing is showing in the OUTBOX. I have brought the machine down and up. I have done that after I have sent the mail. If I go to another machine on the network and send, no problem and it gets there immediately. I have checked with our ISP provider and they can't see a problem. Is there a setting I don't know about? You may have som...

Problem with memory
Hi Experts Sometimes, I face a major problem related with memory.If my program consume memory, then i get problem. suppose, I have MFC application(Dialog Based). I put some push buttons, text boxes and write some static text on dialog box. suppose initially program make linked list of all directories and files. After making linked list, user can give input in any text box or press any push button. During the time when program make linked list, if i minimize this program or i switch to other program currently running on desktop. Then i again switch to my program, now i don't see text writ...

ON_BN_CLICKED problems
Hello all, I have an application that throws up a property sheet with 4 pages (tabs) contained within. One of the pages (tabs) displays a dialog resource that has 2 CBitmapButtons. These buttons are set with the BS_PUSHBUTTON style and represent whether each of 2 different states in my application are on or off. When I "push" either of these buttons, I toggle a state and use those states as a key for the SetState method of CBitmapButton. Some pseudo code is bool State1; // Defined elsewhere CBitmapButton aButton; // Defined elsewhere void ...

Publisher Printing Problem #3
A user on our network (Windows Server 2003 running Symantec anti virus software) has been using Publisher 2002 for some time. Suddenly, he can no longer print to our network printer; however, the printer works from other Microsoft applications on his computer. Any thoughts? -- Pam How to troubleshoot general printing problems in Windows Server 2003 when you use Office products http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870968/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Pam" <Pam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Problem with Wrap text
I have a problem with wrap text in merge cells. when the cell is formatted (single cells) everiting is OK. When the merge cells is formatted (three cells in one merge cells) it is not OK. I must manually change height of the cells :( Please help Srdjan I get the same result! It may just be a bug in XL. I even tried merging the cells AFTER formatting them, and that didn't make any difference. I also un-merged the cells, and the word wrap was fine, but on re-merging them it was just like before. I don't know if there IS a solution! <srdjan.radnovic@gmail.com> wrote in message ...

Which SIde of Trust to run SFO Client
Login onto a CRM Active Directory domain, whether or not its joined to domain, and I can go OFFLINE without errors in SFO. Login to the non-CRM domain which is part of a trust, it does not. But I can add the CRM users to my non-CRM local admins etc, so its showing the trust is working. Does anyone know if CRM SFO should ONLY be installed on the CRM side of a trust and then authenticate against that in order to open the SFO? Does this mean the trust talked about in CRM is only to access resources on a pre-ACtive Directory network? And thus it will not work in the way described? Many thanks...

Exchange 5.5/AD problem
Hi there, I just migrated the an NT4 install to Win2K/AD. The problem is that I am running Exchange 5.5 and when I add a new user, Outlook continually asks for a User Name/Domain/Password and does not accept the login. I've never used the ADConnector, but would that fix the problem? Are there any issues out there that it will create that I need to be aware of? Or is this the wrong approach? If you no longer have an NT Domain controller you will have to use the ADC in order for Exchange to be able to authenticate against AD, yes. -- hth, SusanV "Ernie Kuo" <eku...

Getting product name from other sheet to match
-- Nicki Taylor ...

back up problem
I can't figure out how to get Money 2002 to back up to the cd/rw drive. We just changed computers dell 5100 to a new dell 9100 and what used to work without any problem is now apparently impossible. I even tried routing it to the dvd/rw drive. I am the administrator on the computer and it keeps telling me to see the administrator that I don't have rights to save to that place (both the cd/rw and dvd/rw). HELP! I am computer challenged and I have hit the wall on what to do. Thanks. ...

SetWindowHookEX and WM_SYSCOMMAND problem
hi, i'm trying to hook a window and get the wm_syscommand that it receives. the hook done ok, but the message not arrived. only WH_GETMESSAGE hook can get the WM_SYSCOMMAND but without the wParam value. so as i read in some article i need to subclass the window in order to get it's WM_SYSCOMMAND event. is this the only way? after subclassing the window, i can't unsubclass it succussfully and continue. this way the x Closee sys command doesn't closes the window. please advise. TIA. --- code sample: LRESULT CALLBACK SubClassWindowProc(HWND hwnd, UINT uMsg, WPARAM wParam, ...

Public folders Exchange 5.5 problem
Hi everyone, I have a problem with Exchange 5.5. I was doing the segregation of my old stuff and i was trying to transfer the massages from the public folders to the "podfolder also public, but there was a communicate that it is impossible to move some of them. So i decided to copy them to the archives public folders, but the problem is that after this operation deleting 1 massage is taking 20 - 30 seconds. When i would like to delete a 1000 messages it would take few hours. Does someone know what is going on with that? Piotr ...

Permissions problems
I'm running a vbscript under Server 2008 terminal services, logged in as a regular user. The script is called from a .cmd file, and is supposed to create a second .cmd file for some automated processing we do. I have given Full Control permissions to Users and to Authenticated Users for the folder in which the file is to be created, but my script is still getting "Permission denied" errors. I have no trouble manually creating or editing (with notepad) the file that the script is trying to process, but the script always throws this "permission denied error&...

Excel 2003 Issue with UsedRange.Copy (code works in Excel 2002)
I have been running the below code in an Excel Macro without any issues to copy selective rows of data to a temp1 worksheet based upon a autofilter selection. After I went to Office 2003 Professional for Office XP Pro, I get a run-time error '1004' on the line for the UsedRange.Copy. Does any one know of a fix or why this is happening? 'Filter and copy code: If Worksheets(GLBalance).FilterMode = True Then Worksheets(GLBalance).ShowAllData End If Worksheets(GLBalance).Range(ColGLBalCompanyCode & "1").AutoFilter _ field:=1, _ Criteria1:=szCompanyCode Work...

mktime problem
Apologies if this is the woring newsgroup, I have done my best to find the right place. Please point me to a better place if appropriate. mktime seems to subtract an hours (3600 secs) from it's outputs. I ma using Visual Studio C++ 6.0 S.P. 5 on XP in the French timezone, currently we are in DST. So, for example, when I run the code below using mktime, it outputs the wrong answer: 10 hours is 36000 secs, not 32400 which is the answer it gives. What gives? Thanks, Neil #include <stdio.h> #include <time.h> void show(struct tm *tms) { fprintf(stdout, "%d %d %d %02d:%02...

MSOE.dll problem
Upgraded to SP2 on XP. Didn't work. Reconfigured to SP1 now am getting?: Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be loaded. Any suggestions? Presario Laptop 900 XP SP1 thanks gv Ask in an Outlook Express forum. This is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office family. Here is the link for the right forum http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=InternetExplorer Good Luck!" -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook...

Master project not working
I'm fairly new to Project (2003). I am trying to set up a summary report for a client also new to Project. I followed the instructions to insert a project file in another project, and that works, but the changes are not propagated between the subproject and the master project, even if I close and reload either or both. I tried it with the "link" checkbox checked and unchecked; neither worked. Also, I am using mostly non-standard fields for now (e.g. Number1, Text5, Cost2, etc). None of those fields appear to be getting linked or copied. I'm sure I tried it a c...

WM_ENDSESSION problems after Lock PC
Hello, I have a mfc application running as a service. When a user locks the PC (XP) and then an administrator unlocks the PC (this logs off the user forcefully) the CWnd::OnEndsession function gets called. I retrieve the mesage and check lParam to check whether it is a shutdown or a logoff : const MSG* msg = GetCurrentMessage(); msg->lParam is 0 , falsely indicating that it is a shutdown Is there a way how to handle that situation so that my app knows that it is not a shutdown of a PC ? Normal Logoff\ Logon works correctly. Lubo Hi, Well, in a console process, the contr...

Money 2000 Problems
I am just wondering if anyone has experienced the following problems: - I was experiencing a couple of issues with Money 2000 running on XP after using it for about 12 months. I decided to backup my Money file and then remove and reload the program from my computer. Everything was going well until I tried to restore the backup. Money is about to restore the back up and then asks for a password. I enter the password which I have been using to enter Money in the past and it does not recognise the password. Can anyone help? I have tried all the caps lock, etc, but it just does no...

Select All Names
We have a form with a combo box and that combo box executes a query to find all of the records matching the user's name. The query derives that value from a form based parameter called vName. This is how the process works. 1. The user starts by selecting their name via a drop down list combo box on a dialog form. 2. That selection becomes the value of vName. 3. The user clicks OK and then moves to the data entry form. 4. On the data entry form, the user then clicks on another combo box which runs the aforementined query, which in turn uses the value of the variable vName to find ...

Problems with Bank One online setup
I used to be able to use Bank One online features (direct 2-way data transfers) with M2004 until a few days ago. At that time, there was a glitch with my Bank One online username (this was a problem with Bank One's systems) and I had to get a new username and password from Bank One. Anyway, now I have a new username and password from Bank One which works fine when using the Bank One web interface. I can even do a 1-way download from Bank One web site into M2004. I figured that I would disable on-line features for my Bank One accounts in M2004, and re-enroll (in M2004). However, when e...

Trust Center
Microsoft office excel security notices pop up is displayed when I start Excel 2007 to either "enable macros" or "disable macros" I enabled the 3 of them I go to "Excel Options" -- "Trust Center" -- "Trust Center Settings" The "Trusted Locations", "add new location", "remove" and "modify" are greyed out Trusted Locations was okay two weeks ago when I updated to 2007 and added the location paths to my startup files with macros embedded in them. Where do I change the policy for this re...

trust relationsship
for the first time in about 10 years I got a message this morning "The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed." Dont even know how this comes about. Any ideas on how to fix this? I really dont want to take it off the domain just to put it back because of the profiles. Thanks, Raul Rego Raul wrote: > for the first time in about 10 years I got a message this morning > "The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary > domain failed." > Dont even know how this comes about. Any ideas on ho...

Two OE6 problems
WinXPSP3, OE6 I have launched OE--which I dislike--in an attempt to help a newsgroup correspondent who can only post newsgroup messages (via news.eternal-september.org) on one of his three PCs; if he uses either of the others he can read messages, but attempts to post just end up in OE's outbox; no error messages appear. (This isn't what I'm posting about now, although any suggestions gratefully received.) I found that I could set up OE to post OK via eternal-september, but encountered two problems of my own: 1. I had OE set to run an automatic spell-check before ...