Trust problem: DNS name resolution works, nltest /dsgetdc fails

Hello,

one AD ist 2003 forest level, the second AD is in the 2008R2 forest level.
The connection between the two locations is not limited, all traffic will be
forwarded to the remote location.
We want to establish a forest trust between both AD's.

Set up conditional forwarders in both AD-DNS which point to one of the
DNS-Servers of the remote AD. Then we could establish a two way forest trust
created from the 2003 AD, but if we try to verify this from the 2008R2 AD
this fails. If we try to establish the two way trust from the 2008R2 AD this
also fails (typed in the DNS name of the domain, then be requestet to select
the trust type "with windows domain" because the called name is no valid
windows domain name; after click to next the trust assistant stops: could not
find the domain).

Ping (from the 2008R2 location) to the domain fqdn or to the domain netbios
name of the 2003 AD is successful, this means the conditional dns forwarding
works. But nltest /dsgetdc:domain-fqdn fails (Error with domain controller
name: Status = 1355 0x54b ERROR_NO_SUCH_DOMAIN).

A colleague checks the DNS and SRV entries of the remote 2003 AD - these
"seems" to be ok. But anyway, we (the 2008R2 AD) could successful resolve
(ping the domain name and the domain servers) but nltest and the trust agent
doesn't find the remote domain.

Any hints?

Regards,
Rainer

"Rainer" <Rainer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> one AD ist 2003 forest level, the second AD is in the 2008R2 forest level.
> The connection between the two locations is not limited, all traffic will
> be
> forwarded to the remote location.
> We want to establish a forest trust between both AD's.
>
> Set up conditional forwarders in both AD-DNS which point to one of the
> DNS-Servers of the remote AD. Then we could establish a two way forest
> trust
> created from the 2003 AD, but if we try to verify this from the 2008R2 AD
> this fails. If we try to establish the two way trust from the 2008R2 AD
> this
> also fails (typed in the DNS name of the domain, then be requestet to
> select
> the trust type "with windows domain" because the called name is no valid
> windows domain name; after click to next the trust assistant stops: could
> not
> find the domain).
>
> Ping (from the 2008R2 location) to the domain fqdn or to the domain
> netbios
> name of the 2003 AD is successful, this means the conditional dns
> forwarding
> works. But nltest /dsgetdc:domain-fqdn fails (Error with domain controller
> name: Status = 1355 0x54b ERROR_NO_SUCH_DOMAIN).
>
> A colleague checks the DNS and SRV entries of the remote 2003 AD - these
> "seems" to be ok. But anyway, we (the 2008R2 AD) could successful resolve
> (ping the domain name and the domain servers) but nltest and the trust
> agent
> doesn't find the remote domain.
>
> Any hints?
>
> Regards,
> Rainer

Did you select a Domain trust, or a Forest trust?

As for DNS resolution between both sides, you have conditional forwarding
setup, which is one way to do it. Did you set the conditional forwarder on
EACH of the DC/DNS servers?

Is one domain or the other possibly single label name?

Are any of the DCs multhomed and/or have RRAS installed?

Are there any ISP's DNS addresses in any of the DCs' IP properties?

Are there any firewall rules between the two locations? If you plan on
setting up firewall rules, 2003 and 2008 use of emepheral ports have been
changed. It is suggested to allow it wide open, no rules, otherwise expect
issues.

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE &
MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please
contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com
for regional support phone numbers.

0
Ace
4/7/2010 11:22:11 PM
Ace,

thanks for your support. Here are the comments to your questions:

Did you select a Domain trust, or a Forest trust?
Forest Trust

As for DNS resolution between both sides, you have conditional forwarding
setup, which is one way to do it. Did you set the conditional forwarder on
EACH of the DC/DNS servers?
The forwarding is “stored in Active Directory” and set to “Replicate to all
DNS-servers in the organization”

Is one domain or the other possibly single label name?
No

Are any of the DCs multihomed and/or have RRAS installed?
No

Are there any ISP's DNS addresses in any of the DCs' IP properties?
No

Are there any firewall rules between the two locations? If you plan on
setting up firewall rules, 2003 and 2008 use of emepheral ports have been
changed. It is suggested to allow it wide open, no rules, otherwise expect
issues.
No firewall rules (all ports are opened)

Regards,
Rainer

"Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]" wrote:

> [...]
>
> Are there any firewall rules between the two locations? If you plan on
> setting up firewall rules, 2003 and 2008 use of emepheral ports have been
> changed. It is suggested to allow it wide open, no rules, otherwise expect
> issues.
>
> --
> Ace
>
> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
> confers no rights.
>
> Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
> responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.
>
> Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE &
> MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
> Microsoft Certified Trainer
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>
> If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please

Any hints to my last response ?

"Rainer" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Are there any firewall rules between the two locations? If you plan on
> > setting up firewall rules, 2003 and 2008 use of emepheral ports have been
> > changed. It is suggested to allow it wide open, no rules, otherwise expect
> > issues.
> >
> > --
> > Ace
> >
> > This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
> > confers no rights.
> >
> > Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
> > responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.
> >
> > Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE &
> > MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
> > Microsoft Certified Trainer
> > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> >
> > If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please

I am sorry, I missed your response.

Reading back in your original post, and  your response, I assume that =
the Forwarder(s) used on the 2008 side (since you set them to be AD =
Integrated in 2008), are correctly pointing to the 2003 DNS server(s) of =
the 2003 domain you are trying to setup the trust.

I noticed you said when you ping by NetBIOS name, it returns a ping. DNS =
is not used for NetBIOS names, unless you mean you had set a Search =
Suffix for the other domain, and it is resolving by suffixing the =
NetBIOS name to the search suffix of the other domain's domain name, or =
you have WINS in place and have a replication partner to the other =
domain's WINS server?

If nltest is failing from the 2008 side testing communications to the =
2003 side, that will point to a DNS misconfig, as far as I can tell.=20

To test it further, and just for testing, if you remove the Conditional =
Forwarder and create secondary zones for the 2003 domain name on all of =
the 2008 DCs, making sure that the zones transfer, then does nltest and =
the trust work? This step is to try to eliminate whether DNS rsolution =
is a factor here.

Just conjecturing - It could also be based on the DNS names and their =
namespaces. If the DNS domain name such as child.domain.local, yet you =
have a forwarder for domain.local, and there is no domain.local zone =
created, then resolution won't work because it was configured as a =
separate namespace.=20

Can you describe the namespaces on both sides?

Ace

> Any hints to my last response ?
>=20
>=20
> "Rainer" wrote:
>=20
>> Ace,
>>=20
>> thanks for your support. Here are the comments to your questions:
>>=20
>> Did you select a Domain trust, or a Forest trust?             =20
>> Forest Trust
>>=20
>> As for DNS resolution between both sides, you have conditional =
forwarding=20
>> setup, which is one way to do it. Did you set the conditional =
forwarder on=20
>> EACH of the DC/DNS servers?                                 =20
>> The forwarding is =E2=80=9Cstored in Active Directory=E2=80=9D and =
set to =E2=80=9CReplicate to all=20
> [...]

>> > setting up firewall rules, 2003 and 2008 use of emepheral ports =
have been=20
>> > changed. It is suggested to allow it wide open, no rules, otherwise =
expect=20
>> > issues.
>> >=20
>> > --=20
>> > Ace
>> >=20
>> > This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees =
and=20
>> > confers no rights.
>> >=20
>> > Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration =
benefit among=20
>> > responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your =
resolution.
>> >=20
>> > Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, =
MCSE &=20
http://support.microsoft.com=20
>> > for regional support phone numbers.=20
>> >=20
>> > .

0
Ace

WAMU Download Problems
This past week, everytime I download transactions from Washington Mutual to Money 2004, it says the file is corrupt. I have been on the phone with WAMU and MS, and both state to contact the other group. Any suggestions, outside of MS' recommendation of "reinstall the app"? Try the Super Salvage Utility. That will fix any corruption in your money file. If the problem is in the OFX file downloaded from your FI, then the FI should step up to the plate and address it. Tell the FI Microsoft supplies tools to test OFX Files, and you think they need to do that, refer them ...

Problem migrating Money 2000 to 2004
Hi, I've just bought Money 2004 Deluxe Edt. and I would like to migrate my money database (in MOney 2000) to the new version. But eveytime I try I receice a error that I cannot access to the database. What am I doing wrong? Can some help me? I would like to evolve to the new version. Thanks in advance for all the help. Cheers Miguel Rodrigues In microsoft.public.money, Miguel Rodrigues wrote: > >I've just bought Money 2004 Deluxe Edt. and I would like >to migrate my money database (in MOney 2000) to the new >version. > >But eveytime I try I receice a erro...

Problem Synchronising with Hotmail Account
This is the error message that I had been receiving:- Task 'Hotmail: Folder:Inbox Synchronizing headers.' reported error (0x800CCCF4) : 'An unknown error has occurred. Please save any existing work and restart the program.' It was a random problem initially, but now I can't seems to sync at all. Please help. ...

Filters not working
I have set up a few filters for nntp groups, they are to highlight certain users in different colours but none of them seem to work. Another little problem is that I have a couple of different sig's set up, while the default is ticked to only show with certain accounts it shows up with all accounts except those with a different sig file associated with them. -- [This comment is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Church of Scientology International] "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ" "Athe...

#VALUE! when using defined name
HELP!!! Problem: receive #VALUE! Using a defined NAME range In workbook MonthlyBudget09Mstr.xlsx are sheets 1209Sch and 1209 1209Sch contains all monthly entries, 1209 is the summary sheet. Defined name: HousingItems, ='1209Sch'!$L$83:$L$88, Values: {"1";"2";"3";"4";"5";"15"} Workbook <<from Name Manager L88 is a SUM function but I have remove L88 from range and still have problem Placing =HousingItems in cell B4 of sheet 1209 results in #VALUE! Error B4:B9 are empty Can copy and then paste 1209Sch L8...

Changing the Organization Name
I need to change my organization name in CRM, my license keys are registered under my Full Company Name and CRM was installed without the LLC. Note: The organization name created in the previous procedure (setting up CRM) must match the organization specified when your license key was obtained. When you do the install, the Org Name you specifiy needs to match the Org Name that was used for the License Keys. So, in your case, just install it w/o the LLC (assuming that's what your license keys are setup for). The v1.2 install shouldn't let you by the screen where you enter this ...

Failed Recent Updates and Error Code 80070490
Since yesterday my computer and me have been trying to install two Vista updates: Security Updates for Windows Vista (KB967723) and Updates for windows Vista (KB972145) and I get the Error Found Code 80070490 I have Windows Vista Ultimate. Please advise. Hello Octavio, 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND Corrupted System File; Need to perform an in-place upgrade or reinstall of the OS. How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7 <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833> Tell...

like * problem
Hi all, Followed some leads on here to filter names in a query, based on the value of a text box on a form, but the query returns all records regardless! Here's the code: Like "*" & ([forms]![frmcallcontacts]![text80]) & "*" Can't work out why everyone on here says it should work, and it don't! Searching for say SMITH within 500 records of full names, and I know there's five instances in five separate records. Any help apprciated Pete Just a random thought: are you certain that text80 actually contains any data at the momen...

operater= overload problem
Hi, all. I've overloaded the assignment operator for use with a class. The assignment of the class, itself, works fine (i.e., TypeX = TypeX), but when I try to allow another useful version, it compiles without error (in a library), but when I attempt to use it, I get an error that no such assignment method exists. CODE: Declarations: // This class is almost 100% data, except for the constructor, which // initializes the data to 0, and the operator overloads. The data // is a union of an unsigned int and 1-bit 'flags'. CAccessPrivilage& operator=(CAccessPrivilage &)...

PST IMport problem
I am having problems importing data from a pst backup file. I have successfully imported outlook folders from it recently, however when I attempt to import more now, the files are not coming into my current tree, but a new personal folder is created with nothing in it. The PST file in question has a filesize of over 600Mb ! Any Help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks! For starters, importing and exporting are not recommended for PST files. You've demonstrated one of the reasons. Just open the file. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] <neil@energycell.co.uk> wrote in message news...

smtp anonymous problem
my exchange server is Exchange 2000, I found a strange problem ,when I use outlook express for mail client, I can sent email by any of username in my domain,even if I don't know the password of the username, it means, I can sent email anomymously . I think it is not safe ,maybe some day one of my colleague could send email with my boss's usernme to tell the whole company have a week's holiday,how terrible it is. who can help me to fix the problem? SMTP sux doesnt it? <g> 1. Your mailer should be configured to only accept SMTP connections from your gateways/relays or fr...

Relay Problems #2
Hello Everyone, I have setup quite a few Exchange servers in my life, but the things that has now happened to me, is quite strange. I have a SBS 2003RC2 server running here, which keeps on relaying messages! I checked the relay, authenication, etc. settings. They're all like they have to be. I checked for virusses and spyware, no luck at all... In the meantime, I had to block port 25 to stop messages sending out. I put on the logging to the highest level, but it looke like they do not use any account to logon to the smtp server, which means it is an open relay. Quite strange with ...

What's the name of the file that stores AutoComplete addresses
My Outlook had to be re-installed and I lost my contact list which is very large. I see several files in the recycle bin. Is one of them by contacts? Autocomplete cache is an NK2 file, named for your profile, often outlook.nk2. Paste the following line in the address bar of windows explorer; %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook and it will open to the folder where its stored. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subsc...

A2007 problem on Vista multiuser DB
Hi, I have a A2007 application (ported from A97) running on Vista and Office 2007 Pro. I use two computers in a LAN. The application itself is devided into two DBs (program and data). I have installed the program-DB on both machines and the data-DB on one (server) of them. The same configuration worked well on the former systems (XP pro and A97). Now there come up the following symptoms: Starting the application on the server workes fine. But when starting the application on the client (when on the server its still open (and at least one data bounded form is open) I cannot open any databo...

AutoPreview works intermittently
Outlook 2002 SP2 Affected Inbox is connecting to an IMAP server AutoPreview set to 'Preview unread items' I am an IT technitian and I have a user who likes to have her unread mail items in her Inbox to use the AutoPreview feature. At one point I went to View/Current View/Customize Current View.../Other settings... and chose 'No AutoPreview' option. I recently restored the 'Preview unread items' option. Now, an email will only AutoPreview if: I manually mark a read email as unread (right clicking on email and choosing 'Mark As Unread') or: right clic...

Problems XSLT Transformation of XML Data to EXCEL 2000
Does Office Excel 2000 support XSLT transformation of data from XML cause am having problem when the attachment is opened in the client side if the Excels version is in Office 2000 and also its works fine if the Office Excel Version 2002 and up when attachment file is open via browser the data is in a single line of string in the first row of the excel worksheet Glenn Gomez wrote: > Does Office Excel 2000 support XSLT transformation of data from XML cause am > having problem when the attachment is opened in the client side if the Excels > version is in Office 2000 > >...

Outlook 2003 Can't Open Item MS OFFICE FAILED
Yikes, I'm having a real problem. I am running Windows XP with Service Pack 2 Home Edition Office 2003 with Service Pack 2 (only have Outlook and Word installed) Toshiba Notebook M15-S405 Satellite Pro 1.4 ghz with 512 mgs ram I woke up one morning and saw that I had a stop error window open on my computer explaining that Windows had encountered some kind of driver error and that windows had to restart. Windows offered that I review my system for serious errors. That is a very sad thing to wake up to. So I ran a chkdsk and defragged and a virus check. No problems there. I checked my ...

try catch problem
Yesterday I posted the following, but I didn't supply the code. Here is the problem and the code follows. Thanks in advance for all I use try catch mechanism and notice (in the debugger) that whenever the control arrives to the catch section, I get an access violation (error 0xC0000005)even though it skips this section immediately. I pass compilation without any problems and the program runs fine but crashes every few hours. the relevant code // mfc_concol.cpp : Defines the class behaviors for the application. // #include "stdafx.h" #include "mfc_concol.h" #in...

Role Home Page Security Problem!
The new role home pages in GP9 are more of a problem than a help. Now, our data entry employees have the ability to see profits, etc. by simply changing their role. Is there a way to lock this down so that the user has no ability to change roles or even have a "home page"? -- Brandon Presentations Direct - "Document Finishing Solutions" http://www.presentationsdirect.com Hi Brandon: Simply turn off security to the "Customize Home Page" window for that user and assign them a blank home page if you do not want them to see and financial information as w...

problem generating xml style in asp.net

Book problems and solution for windows 7 09-23-10
Book problems and solution for windows 7 SBN: 978-1-4461-4031-4 / Copyright: ilias el issaoui / Language: English /page : 460 / file : pdf This book takes you step by step to a new world. The world of Windows 7, even if the new system were not know how to use it. Explain everything to you in pictures. You do not need to for a long time to learn In order not to remain afraid of not being able to follow up on your friends, neighbors or family members Problems and solutions for Windows 7 Is a book for all. To small and great. Anyone who wants to learn Do not miss the opportuni...

IMF not working
I am running Exchange 2003 with Service Pack 1. I have installed the exchange IMF, but it does not seem to be writting the SCL rating to the external emails that are being sent (i have created a form to allow a SCL field in outlook). I have followed the instructions on setting this up, applied the imf to the correct smtp server. I have done the identical configuration on a different exchange server, and the SCL ratings on emails that are sent to that server ARE getting marked, so i know its working over there, just not on my other server. Does anyone have any idea of where I should...

Problem: CRM over Cisco WebVPN
Has anyone used Cisco's (3005) WebVPPN with MBS CRM. Other Apps work fine put CRM wont. Errors with "Method Not Allowed", or "Not Authorized" even before a login prompt. What could we look for? -- Darryl - dh@mtccrm.com -www.mtccrm.com - Only Microsoft CRM check to make sure ports arent beign blocked. I think my client is using this system for vpn without issue -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Darryl Henderson" <DarrylHenderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE72D066-D704-4338-8D85-E6A7DD0648AB@m...

User Name #2
Every time I try to open an Excel or Word document I'm prompted to enter a user name (which is added by default). It has only recently appeared. How do I get rid of this pest? I'm using Office 2007 and Windows Vista. ...

Problems with invoice..VBA
I have an invoice template in which I have added a code that increases the invoice number by 1 every time it is opened.. however the invoice has to be overwritten for this to work (or the template) I am new to all this and am struggling to find out what the heck I am doing here lol. I have also inserted a code to empty the contents of the previously filled in information on the invoice so that it is ready to be filled out again.. HOWEVER.. this means that even tho I use Save as and save the invoice as something else when I open that copy .. everything is reset and the invoice number is increm...