OU named users

Any problem creating an OU named users? (nested a few levels down in another
OU)  reserved name ?

thanks

carl

0
MRNews

"MRNews" <nf@no.com> wrote in message
> Any problem creating an OU named users? (nested a few levels down in
> another OU)  reserved name ?
>
> thanks
>
> carl

No problem. In fact, I have a domain I support with an ou=Users. I didn't
set that up, but it's been fine for years. I have also seen ou=Computers.

--
Richard Mueller
MVP Directory Services

Richard
3/23/2010 2:11:15 AM
Hello MRNews,

In Windows server 2003 "users" is reserved, see "Table of reserved words":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909264

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> Any problem creating an OU named users? (nested a few levels down in
> another OU)  reserved name ?
>
> thanks
>
> carl

0
Meinolf
3/23/2010 6:39:15 AM
I've also seen it in some big AD deployments working for years and no
problem. both Users and Computers.

A lot of people tend to organize their AD data in OU's with the location
name, and under that they put in Users & Computers.

I haven't seen anyone to run in the "special issue" described in the Name
conventions documents provided by Meinolf. I think it's really hard to
reproduce that scenario.

Andrei Ungureanu
www.winadmins.net

"Richard Mueller [MVP]" <rlmueller-nospam@ameritech.nospam.net> wrote in
message news:Ojcfl4iyKHA.4492@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

> "MRNews" <nf@no.com> wrote in message
>> Any problem creating an OU named users? (nested a few levels down in
>> another OU)  reserved name ?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> carl
>
> No problem. In fact, I have a domain I support with an ou=Users. I didn't
> set that up, but it's been fine for years. I have also seen ou=Computers.
>
> --
> Richard Mueller
> MVP Directory Services
> Hilltop Lab - http://www.rlmueller.net

Andrei
3/24/2010 8:34:57 AM
The "table of reserved names" generally applies to netbios names, computer
names, dns, and many other things. However, I believe OU names are not
subjec to limitations of the "table of reserved names".

The following KB lists OU name restrictions that I believe apply.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/909264?p=1

--
/kj

0
kj

worksheet with same name error
I have a macro that I use to make a copy of the active worksheet . It works great, if I run the macro again with the same value in "f4", I get a vb error. Is there a way to check the name in "f4" against all worksheet names (there could be 50 sheets) and trap the error? Dim my_sheet As String my_sheet = Range("f4").Value ActiveSheet.Copy After:=Sheets(1) ActiveSheet.Name = my_sheet I will then use: MsgBox "Sheet Saved", vbOKOnly + vbExclamation Else MsgBox "Duplicate name Sheet Not Saved", _ vbOKOnly + vbExclamation End If End...

Excel changeing name and type
When I open an excel file I some times get's the "unable to read file" message, what than happends is that excel changes may filename from filname.xls to something like FB4ED000(I can right click and open this file in excel an all its fine) What can be doing this and how can I avoid this from happening so often. I also have trouble with that I get "unable to read file" when I try to save a workbook, if I remove the sharing I can save it without this error, and I can enable the sharing afterwords and still save the workbook fine. Anyone that have experienced this odd pr...

Multiple Users Able To Open Same Spreadsheet Simultaneously
We have a random problem that is happening where a user will open an Excel spreadsheet (that is NOT set up as a shared workbook) and is working on it and another user will open the same file and doesn't get any "notify" or "open as read only" messages. When the first user tries to save their changes, they get a a save error. The first user is running Win2000-Pro and the second user is running WinXP-Pro. The file server is running Win2000- Server. All users are using Office 2000. No one is using offline files and I've only seen this happen with Excel fi...

Delgate rights to setup contacts in a OU
Hi all I am running AD 2003 sp1 and exchange 2003 SP1. I have delgated the rights to a users so that they can add contacts to an OU and then add these contacts to a distrabution group in the OU. This part is working fine. Ths problem i am facing is when the user loads ADUC click on the OU and creates the contact, there is no option to enter in the email address for the Contact. Do i need to load the exchagne administrator program on the users machine in order to get this done? Thanks Yes, for any exchange attributes/com objects you need exchange admin tools. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, M...

Sheet change event to return sheet name just left
Does anyone have any idea how I can get the name of a worksheet that I have just moved from. So if I am in Sheet1 and move to Sheet2, how do I get a macro to return Sheet1. In all the Events I have looked at they all return the name of the sheet that I have moved to not the sheet I have left. Any help will be gratefully received -- with kind regards Spike We need to remember it. In a standard module: Public OldSheet As String Public NewSheet As String In the worksheet code area of every sheet: Private Sub Worksheet_Activate() If IsEmpty(OldSheet) Then OldShe...

Automatic name check not working
Outlook client has this feature that allows you to type a name, or even just the first few letters, and the name resolves a few seconds after you tab out of the field. When one match is found, the name has a solid underline. When more than one possible match exist you'll see a red wavy underline. When more than one match exists for a name you've used before, Outlook resolves to the last name used and uses a green dotted line to alert you that other possibilities exist. For the case of one of the user here, the name that was typed in is not being resolved or checked ag...

Excel reporting incorrect user in "file in use by"
We are currently experiencing a issue that that some of our users (some of which are laptop users that use the offline files feature) try to open for example an Excel file and it will be reported as being currently in use by a named user. So far no problem. However this user does not have the file open and if we go to check the open files on the server the file will in fact be open by a different user to the one reported in the excel popup window. Is there a way I can ensure that at least the correct user is reported to having the file open? I'm sure this must be somewhere int h...

Importing Contacts to an OU in AD
Help... I have 3000 contacts , in an Excel spreadsheet, I need to add to one OU in a 2K3 AD. Can this be done easily...? Thanks for your help...! Yes - you simply need to specify the target OU in the contact's LDAP name. Specifically, the Distinguished Name (DN) attribute. What format are the contacts in your Excel spreadsheet right now? http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=327620 shows you the minimum fields that are required for contacts. If you want to specify an e-mail address, you can also include that. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz....

How do I import names properly capitalized
I'm downloading names in a .cvs file, and many don't have the first letter capitalized, or the whole name is capitalized. This file then gets imported into an autoresponder and shoots out emails, but the names go out as downloaded. How can I get them properly capitalized before importing into autoresponder. There are so many I can't manually correct. Alan Botteon Coastal WealthBuilders Level 3 Director albotteon@wademontravel.com www.wademontravel.com 800-891-8329 Try this: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/case.htm You want the third option, "vbProperCase" Or you ca...

Retrieve RGB values of Even Row Banding of User-Defined Table Style
Dear Experts: I got a user-defined table style that has an even row banding (red), i.e. the selected table gets alternately shaded in red/white. The user- defined table style is called (tbl_style_red) Is it possible to retrieve the RGB values (Red/Green/Blue) of the even row banding of this user-defined table style and display the values in a msgbox. Help is much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance. Regards, Andreas ...

GP 9 users get disconnected from SQL Server DEX_SESSION doesn't kn
We recently upgraded to GP 9 from 7.5 and moved from a SQL Server 2000 to a SQL Server 2005 server. Ever since the upgrade all users have experienced errors that result from the server process having been dropped and reassigned to a new user, but DEX_SESSION still thinks the original user is connected to the spid. Has anyone experienced this problem? Does anyone have a solution or idea where to look? Thank you for any help you can provide. ~Ellen -- Thank you for sharing your knowledge ------=_NextPart_0001_2F68CBF5 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, T...

Creating fields with the same name in a Contact form
I have split the contact name in the form to Title, First Name and Last Name. I am trying to do the same for Spouse and therefore there are three duplicated field names. Is there any way of making these fields unique so that by filling in one of them e.g. First Name for the contact, it doesn't automatically populate the First Name for the Spouse (partner)? Sure. Give the custom fields different names. -- Ken Slovak [MVP - Outlook] http://www.slovaktech.com Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007. Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options. http://w...

How can I change a chart's name?
I have a lot of charts in a woorkbook and need to refer to them in my VBA. I cannot know the names (numbers) of all the charts. mHow can I change a chart's name so it is easy to find them ? Berthica, These macros should help: Sub GetChartName() MsgBox "The chart name is: " & ActiveChart.Parent.Name End Sub Sub RenameChart() ActiveChart.Parent.Name = Chart1 End Sub ---------------------------- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Berthica" wrote: > I have a lot of charts in a woorkbook and need to refer to them in my VBA. I > cann...

Controlling display names
I'll try asking this again a different way: Is there a way to have a display name for Exchange 2003 in the global address list appear differently than the display name when sent outside my organization via email? Example: in the GAL, I want to have John Smith, but for email sent outside the organization, we just want email to come from John in the email header: From: "John" <johnsemailaddress@mycompany.com> This problem is all about the display name, nothing to do with the actual e-mail address. ? In news:Xns9751A534BB07vo243hotmailcom@207.46.248.16, Vo <vo24...

Dynamic named range across multiple sheets
I know how to make a dynamic named range for a single sheet. I can't find any information on how to extend the named range to the last sheet in the workbook. I am importing a delimited text file into Excel, and the size varies. I am using vba to automatically add sheets when needed. That causes me to have a fluctuating amount of sheets. Is there a formula for a dynamic named range that would go to the last used cell in the last sheet *without specifying the sheet name*? Is it even possible to have a dynamic named range that extends into another sheet? Thanks for any help you offer. -- ...

Named ranges
Excel 2003 I have a total sheet that gets data from three different shift sheets (all in the same workbook) for a monthly report. I have named ranges on each shift sheet for each month's production data (S1M1, S1M2, S1M3, S2M1...) where S1M1 =A2:AC147, S1M2 = A148:AC329, etc. The old formula was:=SUMIF('SHIFT 1'!$L$1:$L$147,"BB",'SHIFT 1'!$T$1:$T$147). I'm stumped as to what the new formula would be - how would I direct Excel to column L of S1M1 to search for "BB", then add the contents of column T? The range changes each month, and I tho...

deleting names
Is there a way to delete a person name/e-mail address from the to: bar? When i start to put a persons name in the to: box there are different names that i don't want anymore. where or how can i get rid of them. i am using Outlook 2003 You're talking about the auto-fill? Simply scroll to the entry you don't wish to have anymore and delete it. You can either right-click on the entry and choose delete or scroll to the entry and press the delete key on your keyboard. "cleaners" <cleaners@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0718EB4B-B027-40...

Excel 2007
Has anyone experienced problems with charts created in Excel 2003 loosing formatting when opened in 2007? So far these are the general problems I'm experiencing and I'm not sure if there's a solution, or if I should wait for the final release where these issues are hopefully corrected. 1. Full Charts created in Excel 2003 as separate sheets vs. embedded loose their formatting when opened in 2007, for example, the page size, page orientation, legend location, margins, axis alignments, all sometimes get munged up to some other setting. 2. When you try to edit the axes, someti...

Outlook Web Access kicks user offline
Please help.. can't find anything on google.. I have a user that gets kicked offline everynight at 10:00 pm from Outlook WebMail. I had him try from another location and it still kicks him out at 10:00 pm and OWA asks to re-authenticate. Thanks in advance Sonny Do you have a firewall rule of some sort? You're not stopping services to run backups or anything like that, are you? Is there anything in any of the event logs at that time that might give you a clue? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "sonnyL" <so...

E-mail Server Names for Outlook 2000
I don't get it...Outlook Express 6 was extremely easy to setup having my emails from my Hotmail account load into Outlook Express, which seems to be designed to for that purpose, but Outlook 2000 gets into Pop3 or Imap and SMTP which seems to have a very outdated Internet connection wizard with very few options. My ISP doesn't have a clue of what I was talking about and it would seem that this is a Hotmail server problem? I have read enough Microsoft knowledge base articles to make a grown man cry in hopelessness frustration. Is there a way to upgrade the internet connetio...

adding named ranges
I have two ranges of cells named range1 and range2 but I am unable to add them together as =sum(range1+range2) gives me an error Any help would be appreciated. Mike The correct syntax is =SUM(range1,range2) -- Best Regards Leo Heuser Followup to newsgroup only please. "Mike EHB-Docks" <mike@ehb-docks.fsbusiness.co.uk> skrev i en meddelelse news:d35jgs$j1m$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk... > I have two ranges of cells named range1 and range2 but I am unable to add > them together as =sum(range1+range2) gives me an error > > Any help would be appreciated. > >...

Unable to load User Profile error
Hi, I'm getting the above error whenever I try and access my administrator account in Vista and can't get into the profile at all. Booting in Safe Mode gets me in and I'm able to see that the account has been changed to 'Backup' for some reason but I'm unable to change anything. As it's the administrator account I'm unable to set up any new profiles to try and get around it. Using System Restore hasn't worked and Googling the error seems to suggest that the only solution is a registry hack which I'm not to comfortable trying. Before I bite t...

Pointers with Named Pipes
Hello, I really don't if I'm posting this in the correct place, probably not, but if not let me know. I have this question: I'm building a Client/Server system where they comunicate througth Named Pipes. My question is: If I have an object (which both client and server have the definition) in the client App, can I pass the pointer of that object (that was created in client App) to the server? Will the server be able to read the object and eventualy destroy it? The server an the client are to run in different machines. Thanks in advance.- Jo�o Pereira "Jo�o Pereira" w...

change table name
thank you 1- how can i change table name to new name in code or by macro? 2- How can i change field name in table to new name by macro or vba os sql thank you A wrote: >thank you >1- how can i change table name to new name in code or by macro? >2- How can i change field name in table to new name by macro or vba os sql You can open the other database and use the standard DAO properties to manipulate the table/field names. For example: Dim db As Database Set dbOther = OpenDatabase("path to other database") With dbOther.TableDefs("old table name") .Fields...

Exchange naming issue
I have inherited a network with a local domain the same name as an internet domain name. Exchange has been installed and now they are having issues with mail to an external employee with an email address hosted on the internet. When sent through exchange on the local domain, it replies that there is no user with this address. Is there a way to forward a user's email from internal address to external address with the same domain for each? They really want to keep the email going to this address and not another internet domain. Any suggestions? Thanks Hello David, There are...