New Thread On Old Unresolved One - Off-Line Files Sync Issue

Hi guys,

(Sorry it is long winded) ;-)

I have an issue which is driving me crazy now and has been going on for
weeks.

The long and short of it is some files that are on the network in the
redirected 'My Documents' areas will not synchronise to the local machine so
they are available off-line.
This only occurs with the odd file, usually a spreadsheet but not always.
This only happens to laptop users who are designated to use off line
folders.
Workstations have their "My Documents" redirected to a server and do not
have off line folders, simply because they are always on the network.
Laptop users who are out and about have their My Documents made available
off line.
Some people have as much as 2 gig of data, and the vast majority of it syncs
fine, but one user for example has eight spreadsheets that simply will not
sync, yet a many other spreadsheets do.

This is Windows 2003 (Standard) AD

Group policy (Computer Configuration) was set to Encrypt the offline files
cache. That was the only enabled setting in that section.

I have created a test OU and within the offline files policy I have disabled
Encrypt the offline files cache. I have moved a laptop to that OU to test
various things. That OU has all identical GPOs in the exact same order but
the offline files one is disabled and is replaced with my test one with the
change.

Prohibit User Configuration Of Offline Files-----------------------Enabled
Synchronise All Offline Files When Logging On-------------------Enabled
Synchronise All Offline Files Before Logging Off------------------Enabled
Synchronise Offline Files Before Suspend-------------------------Disabled
Action On Server
Disconnect-------------------------------------Enabled--------------------Work
Offline
Non Default Server Disconnect Actions---------------------------Not
Configured
Remove 'Make Available Offline'---------------------------------Enabled
Prevent Use Of Offline Files Folder-------------------------------Not
Configured
Administratively Assign Offline Files-------------------------------Enabled
Turn Off Reminder Balloons---------------------------------------Enabled
Reminder Balloon Frequency--------------------------------------Disabled
Initial Reminder Balloon Lifetime-----------------------------------Disabled
Reminder Balloon Lifetime-----------------------------------------Disabled
Event Logging Level-----------------------------------------------Not
Configured
Prohibit 'Make Available Offline' For These Files And Folders-----Not
Configured
Do Not Automatically Make Redirected Folders Available Offline---Disabled

I also have the Folder Redirection set to use a server location, the same
route location for all users. This works fine.

The only slight clue is I noticed when playing around with one of the
affected files on my local machine, when I tried to copy it whilst off line
to another location, I was met with the following prompt, recited from
memory. 'This file contains references that are not available when off line,
are you sure you want to copy it?' or words to that effect.

Can anyone think of anything?

0
Phil

Anyone?

"Phil Angus" <phila@hammerplc.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> Reminder Balloon Lifetime-----------------------------------------Disabled
> Event Logging Level-----------------------------------------------Not
> Configured
> Prohibit 'Make Available Offline' For These Files And Folders-----Not
> Configured
> Do Not Automatically Make Redirected Folders Available Offline---Disabled
>
> I also have the Folder Redirection set to use a server location, the same
> route location for all users. This works fine.
>
> The only slight clue is I noticed when playing around with one of the
> affected files on my local machine, when I tried to copy it whilst off
> line to another location, I was met with the following prompt, recited
> from memory. 'This file contains references that are not available when
> off line, are you sure you want to copy it?' or words to that effect.

2/19/2010 3:15:56 PM
> [...]
> Reminder Balloon Lifetime-----------------------------------------Disabled
> Event Logging Level-----------------------------------------------Not
> Configured
> Prohibit 'Make Available Offline' For These Files And Folders-----Not
> Configured
> Do Not Automatically Make Redirected Folders Available Offline---Disabled
>
> I also have the Folder Redirection set to use a server location, the same
> route location for all users. This works fine.
>
> The only slight clue is I noticed when playing around with one of the
> affected files on my local machine, when I tried to copy it whilst off
> line to another location, I was met with the following prompt, recited
> from memory. 'This file contains references that are not available when
> off line, are you sure you want to copy it?' or words to that effect.

The only thing I can think of that is related, is that database files such
as Access DB or PST files will not work properly with Redirection/Offline
files. If an Excel file has an external reference in it to another
spreadsheet or some other entity, or if an Excel or other type of file that
is compatible was previously opened by someone else and a lock is put on it
making the copy you are seeing Read only, so I would imagine the same would
apply.

By default, files with the following extensions are excluded:
..db?
..ldb
..mdb
..mde
..mdw
..pst
..slm

Here are some links on this. The second one mentions a hotfix. See if it
applies to your scenario.

Error message: "Files of this type cannot be made available offline"One such
file type is .pst files. This type is included in the list to ... Computer
Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Offline Files\Files not ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/252509

Files that you add to the Offline Files folder on a Windows XP ...The
Offline Files feature does not permit you to cache certain file types. This
restriction prevents corruption of file sets and avoids conflicts with ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811660

Offline Files/Files not cached & Blocking File Types - Petri.co.il ...2
posts - 2 authors - Last post: Feb 20, 2008
I understand that in Group Policy Mgr. we can specify to block these file
types... Comp. Config>Admin Templates> Offline Files> "Files not ...
http://www.petri.co.il/forums/showthread.php?t=21713

If the above does not help, sorry, there isn't much else I can think of.

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE &
MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please
contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com
for regional support phone numbers.

0
Ace
2/19/2010 3:48:49 PM
Thanks Ace, I will check this out.
Regards,
Phil

"Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]" <aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote in message
> [...]
> types... Comp. Config>Admin Templates> Offline Files> "Files not ...
> http://www.petri.co.il/forums/showthread.php?t=21713
>
> If the above does not help, sorry, there isn't much else I can think of.
>
> --
> Ace
>
> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
> confers no rights.
>
> Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit
> among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your
> resolution.
>
> Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE &
> MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
> Microsoft Certified Trainer
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>
> If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance,
> please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check

2/25/2010 8:46:35 PM
> Thanks Ace, I will check this out.
> Regards,
> Phil

You are welcome. I hope you can resolve it.

Ace

0
Ace

Opening a unicode CSV file from Excel
Hi, I'm currently working on an application that can export data in "CSV" format, and then launches Excel to view the CSV data. This works perfectly ok for ascii data. However now I have upgraded our application to use Unicode I'm running into problems. When I export data into a unicode CSV file and launch excel with it's path on the command line I get a "This is not a recognized format" message. If the same file is opened manually from Excel the same error is shown but afterwards the text import wizard is displayed (which works ok). Currenly the file is 16 ...

How do I add a line chart to a stacked chart?
I have 3 series as a percent in a stacked chart and would like to plot a line in dollars through the the different stacks for each quarter - any help is appreciated. Sarah plot he dollar amount series as part of the stacked chart on the chart select the new data set and change axis to secondary and got to <chart><chart type> and select the line chart you want. Play with the formating to make it ddo what you want. "smazeika" wrote: > I have 3 series as a percent in a stacked chart and would like to plot a line > in dollars through the the different stacks fo...

Combining MS Money files
Is there a way to combine/merge MS Money files (not accounts, but files) into one file that will display all acounts? -- FDR You will have to mentally designate one file as the master file and the export accounts from the other file to qif file format. Then import the files all together (use ctrl + click to select when asked which file to import) into the master file. Take backups of both files before you start! -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I ha...

Outlook Issue #7
I am using Outlook2003SP1 with Exchange 2003. When I first start outlook and open either a message or a calendar request when I press the button(s) or select from the menu any of these functions; send, reply, forward, reply to all, accept, decline, print, permissions, follow up, previous, next basically any function nothing happens. The only things that seems to work is the close, change font and move to folder buttons/functions. Once I close the item and open it up again everything works. I have to do this for either messages or calendar items. I have tried creating a different mail prof...

mutimedia messages coming to inbox without attached files
Sending a picture from my phone to email. I use Outlook 2002 to read and send emails. Message arrive but not the attached picture. My phone company email site recieves the picture without any problem. Is there a setting in OUtlook that is stopping the picture? ...

Must buy new computer...Ideas?

Sending Data from One subForm to another
If I have 2 subForms on a form subFormA and subFormB and each field has 2 text boxes , what code do I need in my control to send tbA and tbAA to subFormB , tbB and tbBB -- Thanks in advance for any help with this......Bob MS Access 2007 accdb Windows XP Home Edition Ver 5.1 Service Pack 3 On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:39:14 +1300, "Bob Vance" <rjvance@ihug.co.nz> wrote: > >If I have 2 subForms on a form >subFormA and subFormB and each field has 2 text boxes , what code do I need >in my control to send tbA and tbAA to subFormB , tbB and tbBB Step ...

Home loan recurring bill one month behind
I have a home loan setup in money 2008, and the associated monthly payment is a recurring bill, this was done using the normal loan setup wizard. When the payment clears the bank on say on 10/31, and the upcoming bills shows that 10/31 is the next payment, and I try to match a transaction with this downloaded transaction, the available transaction list shows only the 9/31 transaction, but the 9/31 transaction has already been reconciled. Thus the home loan monthly payment matching is always one month behind. To work around this I have to click on the recurring payment and select enter t...

Need Help Adding Line to Bar Graph
Hi, I�m working on a bar graph with 2 series of comparable data � firs series is YTD @ Current Month, second series is Current Month. I woul like to add 2 lines to show the system (or overall) average of bot series. (x-axis=co region; y-axis= score) How do I do this? I do not want a trending line. I just want straight line to show overall average. Right now, I�m just drawing line on the chart but I would like something that will adjust t updated data. Any help is greatly appreciated -- jcstoddar ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jcstoddard'...

I used "save as" but now can't locate original file
I was using a file (November), changed the data, clicked "save as" (December. Now, November is the same as December. Any possibility there's a temp file of November anywhere? Book I believe you have not done as you describe. If you had a previously saved November workbook open and made some changes then File>Save As and named it December, November workbook will still be on your computer in its previous state. Unless you saved it as November with the changes. From where did you open November workbook? It will still be there. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 1...

Default properties for new folders

Need to Transfer Files Between Money and Quicken
I've got an interesting problem here. I need to transfer files between Money 2002 and Quicken Premium 2004. The first four attempts at having Quicken read exported QIF files has been a disaster. Quicken is absolutely no help. Their built-in help is referring me to webpages that don't exist. There is supposed to be a tool to convert the file format, but the fine print says it is for converting between previous versions of Quicken and Quicken 2004, but it "may work" for converting Money files. A Quicken guru says I need to export Money files to XML in order to bring the files i...

New Email Messages

Line Graphs #3
Is there a way to shade the area between two lines in a line graph, while leaving the rest unshaded? Yep, try this: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/XYAreaChart2.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/ Advanced Excel Conference - June 17-18 2009 - Charting and Programming http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009-06-ACNJ/AdvExcelConf200906ACNJ.html _______ "SecretaryII" <SecretaryII@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96672ABF-085A-4B98-9CA6-2302A9F458B4@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to shade...

restoring system data from external HD .bkf files
Hello My OS is Windows XP Media edition 2005. I recently reformatted my HD and now I am trying to restore my Office Outlook files (.pst) plus system settings. I have been only able to access personal files and folders. I really need the ..pst files. When I run the backup - restore wizard the check marks appear on the two "C" drives, out of 14,471 MB on the external HD, only about 350 MB are restored, the field "processed" reads "0" How can I restore the rest of my system from the external HD? Thanks -- Zubenelshamali On Thu, 27 May 2010 14:53:4...

Stop SPAM from unresolvable email servers
I continually receive spam mail from servers that are unresolved through DNS. We are using Exchange Server 2000, and I have selected the setting "Perform reverse DNS lookup on incoming messages". However, I still receive email like the one shown below... Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0 Received: from mail.nelsotech.com ([192.168.0.1]by mail.nelsotech.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6713); Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:28:45 -0500 Received: from -1214789064 (222.181.48.159) by mail.nelsotech.com via How do I stop these emails? They are unresolvable and I would like to proh...

Money 2007 file wont update from one computer to another
Ok, I have a desktop with Vista and laptop with XP home. I use the notebook when Im away at work and the Vista desktop when Im home. When I got home I wanted my money file from the notebook to be transfered to the desktop but... when I copy the file from the notebook to my external USB HD and then paste it to the desktop to replace the existing one the file does not reflect changes made on the file version on the notebook. When I copy the file from the notebook to the USB HD and then open it it shows one balance. but when I then paste that file to the desktop it shows a different balan...

New Location/New setup

Looking for Microsoft Office Binary File Format or File Signature data
I have an application which obtains numerous "unidentifiable" files with no file extension, via FTP, and would like to run some sort of binary filter on it to identify PPT, DOC, XLS file formats. I did fine this: http://www.garykessler.net/library/file_sigs.html But it seems a messy way of accomplishing this, and is incomplete. Any clues as to finding the binary record format and/or file signatures of Office documents (Office 2000 and greater). - Thanks ...

How do I activate the new mail button

Cannot Open 2002 Files in 2004
USA Money 2002. Moved 2002 files to flash drive and tried to open them using Money 2004 and I get this message "Type your password to access your files." The friedn I am helping does not ever remember using a password. I guess the only option is to use the Money 2002 program on the old hardrvie and see if that will allow us to access the file. Thanks Smith The most typical case is where you are trying to switch regions. Your second option requires that Money 2002 be installed. This sounds like you are trying to upgrade a computer. BTW you can have multiple versions of Mo...

Create an Entity and Publish- issue
Hi I am trying to create and publish a custom entity thru SDK. The entity is created, however while publishing it leads to an exception[“An entity contains two views with the same name. Remove one of the views and try to publish”] PFA Sample code which I am Executing.(Same Example of SDK). I would appreciate, if you could help me with this issue. CODE : try { // Create the entity. EntityMetadata timesheetEntity = new EntityMetadata(); timesheetEntity.SchemaName = "new_timesheet"; timeshe...