multiple Domains under one domain or multiple forests under one forest

I have to research on below scenario.

Asia regional countries are in separate forests/single domains
Europe has forest and child domains. Europe is separate systems only
connected via WAN only.
Our proposal was make one forest under Europe as =91APAC=92, and then we
will migrate regional counties under to APAC forest to appropriate
Trees.
Europe proposed that instead of creating APAC migrate all the Asia
regional forest to one of Europe Domain.
As example, migrate all Asia user accounts to Germany domain under
Europe forest. for me putting every domain to one domain sounds messy
for me should operate by forest wise under main forest.

  Can you please tell me what are the pros and cons of 2 proposals and
what most suitable or standard way is?

0
Rush

I will mention that you need to be careful due to certain rules for
individual counties.  Many years ago when I had dealings internationaly
there were rules you had to follow when you crossed borders such as what you
refer to.

The biggest difference between the domain and forest is, the security
boundary is the forest not the domain.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755979(WS.10).aspx

Within 2003 and before if you wanted to have seperate password policies you
were forced into having seperate domains, now with 2008 and beyond this is
no longer the case with FGPP's.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770842(WS.10).aspx

If you have a single domain (As long as you can get by all the laws) it is
by far the easiest maintenance and the one I would recommend.  You have to
be really good at not handing out the admin authority, since you lose all
control, so will you be able to have a single (Central Location) management
style?  You want to learn to delegate authority.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=631747a3-79e1-48fa-9730-dae7c0a1d6d3&DisplayLang=en

Multiple domains with your Enterprise location being the root domain with
the Enterprise Admin control would be your next best option.  Trusts (2003
and beyond) are transitive but you still have to deal with trust issues.
Forest trusts just add another level of complexity but add needed security
as outlined above.

To be define the standard, it is recommended to have as few forests and
domains as possible while keeping your Enterprise secure.

--
Paul Bergson
MVP - Directory Services

http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Rush" <rasikaf@gmail.com> wrote in message
I have to research on below scenario.

Asia regional countries are in separate forests/single domains
Europe has forest and child domains. Europe is separate systems only
connected via WAN only.
Our proposal was make one forest under Europe as �APAC�, and then we
will migrate regional counties under to APAC forest to appropriate
Trees.
Europe proposed that instead of creating APAC migrate all the Asia
regional forest to one of Europe Domain.
As example, migrate all Asia user accounts to Germany domain under
Europe forest. for me putting every domain to one domain sounds messy
for me should operate by forest wise under main forest.

  Can you please tell me what are the pros and cons of 2 proposals and
what most suitable or standard way is?

0
Paul
11/19/2009 1:35:39 PM
Dear Paul,

Thank you so much for your detail answer.
Your professional answer fill lots of empty spaces of my knowledge
regarding Forest architecture. I will go though  with links you send
to me and I'm sure i can get much more details from those links. I
have a clear vision now thanks to you.

Do you know a website or link to check rules that apply for crossed
borders?

On Nov 19, 10:35=A0pm, "Paul Bergson [MVP-DS]" <pbbergs@no_spammsn.com>
wrote:
> I will mention that you need to be careful due to certain rules for
> individual counties. =A0Many years ago when I had dealings internationaly
> there were rules you had to follow when you crossed borders such as what =
you
> refer to.
>
> The biggest difference between the domain and forest is, the security
> boundary is the forest not the domain.http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/=
library/cc755979(WS.10).aspx

> Within 2003 and before if you wanted to have seperate password policies y=
ou
> were forced into having seperate domains, now with 2008 and beyond this i=
> no longer the case with FGPP's.http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library=
/cc770842(WS.10).aspx

> If you have a single domain (As long as you can get by all the laws) it i=
> by far the easiest maintenance and the one I would recommend. =A0You have=
> be really good at not handing out the admin authority, since you lose all
> control, so will you be able to have a single (Central Location) manageme=
nt
> style? =A0You want to learn to delegate authority.http://www.microsoft.co=
m/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3D631747a3-79e...

> Multiple domains with your Enterprise location being the root domain with
> the Enterprise Admin control would be your next best option. =A0Trusts (2=
003
> and beyond) are transitive but you still have to deal with trust issues.
> Forest trusts just add another level of complexity but add needed securit=
> as outlined above.
>
> To be define the standard, it is recommended to have as few forests and
> domains as possible while keeping your Enterprise secure.
>
> --
> Paul Bergson
> MVP - Directory Services
> MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, BS CSci
> 2008, 2003, 2000 (Early Achiever), NT4
> Microsoft's Thrive IT Pro of the Month - June 2009
>
> http://www.pbbergs.com
>
> Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
> posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>
> "Rush" <rasi...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I have to research on below scenario.
>
> Asia regional countries are in separate forests/single domains
> Europe has forest and child domains. Europe is separate systems only
> connected via WAN only.
> Our proposal was make one forest under Europe as =91APAC=92, and then we
> will migrate regional counties under to APAC forest to appropriate
> Trees.
> Europe proposed that instead of creating APAC migrate all the Asia
> regional forest to one of Europe Domain.
> As example, migrate all Asia user accounts to Germany domain under
> Europe forest. for me putting every domain to one domain sounds messy
> for me should operate by forest wise under main forest.
>
> =A0 Can you please tell me what are the pros and cons of 2 proposals and
> what most suitable or standard way is?

0
Rush
11/20/2009 2:01:29 AM
Each country has their own rules.  You would have to check with their state
department.  I think things have some what relaxed over the past few years,
but I would check.

--

On Nov 19, 10:35 pm, "Paul Bergson [MVP-DS]" <pbbergs@no_spammsn.com>
wrote:
> [...]
> posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>
> "Rush" <rasi...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I have to research on below scenario.
>
> Asia regional countries are in separate forests/single domains
> Europe has forest and child domains. Europe is separate systems only
> connected via WAN only.
> Our proposal was make one forest under Europe as �APAC�, and then we
> will migrate regional counties under to APAC forest to appropriate
> Trees.
> Europe proposed that instead of creating APAC migrate all the Asia
> regional forest to one of Europe Domain.
> As example, migrate all Asia user accounts to Germany domain under
> Europe forest. for me putting every domain to one domain sounds messy
> for me should operate by forest wise under main forest.
>
> Can you please tell me what are the pros and cons of 2 proposals and

11/20/2009 1:56:45 PM
"Paul Bergson [MVP-DS]" <pbbergs@no_spammsn.com> wrote in message

To add, I know, for example, France and the US have different policies. At
one place I worked at with a global presence, we had to create a separate
domain in our forest for France. The same with England, Italy and China.
They are just a few countries we have a corporate presence. Each domain has
their own domain administrators, but we have control of the forest root
domain. A global policy existed but was customized and/or re-worded based on
individual countries. The legal department researched this heavily in order
to put together compliance, regulatory and other guidelines for each
country. We made the policies based on their research. The US location has
the forest root, which we controlled, in addition there is a domain for US
users. We do not use the forest root for user or group accounts. It's an
empty root.

For Rush, I would suggest for the legal departments in each of your
company's countries to pull their resources together to establish rules
based on each country's government laws, to come up with a working solution.
But all in all, I agree with Paul's assessment to basically create a single
forest, emtpy root design, with domains for each country including a
separate domain for the corp office country.

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA
2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer

For urgent issues, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check
http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

> [...]
>> posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>>
>> "Rush" <rasi...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> I have to research on below scenario.
>>
>> Asia regional countries are in separate forests/single domains
>> Europe has forest and child domains. Europe is separate systems only
>> connected via WAN only.
>> Our proposal was make one forest under Europe as �APAC�, and then we
>> will migrate regional counties under to APAC forest to appropriate
>> Trees.
>> Europe proposed that instead of creating APAC migrate all the Asia
>> regional forest to one of Europe Domain.
>> As example, migrate all Asia user accounts to Germany domain under
>> Europe forest. for me putting every domain to one domain sounds messy
>> for me should operate by forest wise under main forest.
>>
>> Can you please tell me what are the pros and cons of 2 proposals and

11/21/2009 3:16:27 AM
Paul,

Thanks again. understood.

On Nov 20, 10:56=A0pm, "Paul Bergson [MVP-DS]" <pbbergs@no_spammsn.com>
wrote:
> [...]
>
> > "Rush" <rasi...@gmail.com> wrote in message

..
> > I have to research on below scenario.
>

> > Asia regional countries are in separate forests/single domains
> > Europe has forest and child domains. Europe is separate systems only
> > connected via WAN only.
> > Our proposal was make one forest under Europe as =91APAC=92, and then w=
> > will migrate regional counties under to APAC forest to appropriate
> > Trees.
> > Europe proposed that instead of creating APAC migrate all the Asia
> > regional forest to one of Europe Domain.
> > As example, migrate all Asia user accounts to Germany domain under
> > Europe forest. for me putting every domain to one domain sounds messy
> > for me should operate by forest wise under main forest.
>
> > Can you please tell me what are the pros and cons of 2 proposals and

11/24/2009 2:37:00 AM
Ace,
The countries you mentioned, its in our major countries list,
currently which we are deling with.
So thanks to you guys, i know where to look ,where to go and what to
do, even as an idea wise.
Have a nice day.  Appreciate it.

On Nov 21, 12:16=A0pm, "Ace Fekay [MCT]"
<ace...@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote:
> [...]
>
> >> "Rush" <rasi...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> I have to research on below scenario.
>
> >> Asia regional countries are in separate forests/single domains
> >> Europe has forest and child domains. Europe is separate systems only
> >> connected via WAN only.
> >> Our proposal was make one forest under Europe as =91APAC=92, and then =
we
> >> will migrate regional counties under to APAC forest to appropriate
> >> Trees.
> >> Europe proposed that instead of creating APAC migrate all the Asia
> >> regional forest to one of Europe Domain.
> >> As example, migrate all Asia user accounts to Germany domain under
> >> Europe forest. for me putting every domain to one domain sounds messy
> >> for me should operate by forest wise under main forest.
>
> >> Can you please tell me what are the pros and cons of 2 proposals and

11/24/2009 2:46:47 AM
> Ace,
> The countries you mentioned, its in our major countries list,
> currently which we are deling with.
> So thanks to you guys, i know where to look ,where to go and what to
> do, even as an idea wise.
> Have a nice day.  Appreciate it.

No problem. I would first suggest to start with legal, and work from there.

Good luck!

Ace

0
Ace

compute one of two missing value?
I want to create a table like this: column A is the name of the person column B is height in feet column C is height in meters How do I set it up so that if I enter a number in the feet column, excel would calculate and fill in the meter column, and if I fill in the meter column, excel would calculate and fill in the feet column? use a worksheet_change event if target.column=2 then target.offset(,1)=target*_____ if target.column=3 then target.offset(,-1)=target/_____ -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "james" <nospa...

Removing multiple hyperlinks

Create a list with multiple criteria

Charting multiple multiples

distributing data into multiple cells

Single click selects multiple cells

Sending to multiple addresses

CRM and Exchange in different domains
Is there a way for a CRM 3.0 server to intergrate with an Exchange server in another domain? ...

Extract domain names out of URLs
Hi, I have a list of URLs and I would like to find a way to extract the domain name from the URL. The URLs can be prefixed with www in some cases and I'd also like to strip that off. So, for the following URLs http://www.wiseclerk.com/group-news/tag/libor http://www.wiseclerk.com/group-news/2008/04/ http://www.wiseclerk.com/group-news/ http://www.tiscali.co.uk/search/results.php?section=&from=&query=setana sports http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20080408/223932792.shtml http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20080408/223932792.shtml http://www.techdirt.com/ http://www.techdirt.com/ htt...

Windows will not "Tile" when one of them has Money Plus open
I've discovered that I cannot get my windows to "Tile" when using Money Plus. This is a big bummer because that is how I update my 401k account (not on any exchange so I must do it manually) I copy/paste info into it (money) and it is so much easier if I can tile windows. I used to do it all the time with my older MM Deluxe 2004. Funny thing is that the Money window tiles but the other one acts just like when you click "Tile Windows" when there is only one open... "bupkiss" just a 'bleep' and back to fully maxed... any ideas? On Wed, 5 Sep 2...

Convert data into one WrapText cell
User's data is as follows: G Data......................... 4 no 5 20 more Data ............... etc where G through 20 is in a single row, and therefore Data occupies 3 rows. I believe this gives me a complete record where the Data occupies more than one row: Sub TestConvertToWrapText() Dim Cell As Range, StartRw As Long Dim EndRw As Long For Each Cell In ActiveSheet.Range("B2:B33") If Not IsEmpty(Cell) Then StartRw = Cell.Row If Not IsEmpty(Cell.Offset(1, 0)) Then EndRw = Cell.End(xlDown).Row...

Exchange 2000 Distribution Lists

multiple selection

SMTP domain name
Hello. I am running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on a windows 2000 machine and a windows 2000 native domain. Problem I am having is complaints from people regarding the smtp domain name. Our Public domain name and our AD domain name are different. Helo response from the server returns the AD domain name and not the public domain name. This is causing messages to be rejected by some SPAM filters. Has anybody had this problem? Thanks Yes I have battled long and hard with this problem. First thing to check is Exchange System Manager, "Default SMTP Virtual Server" look in advanced propertie...

Multiple domains #6

Combine multiple tables into one

mail want be delivered for the 2nd domain
we have registered another domain made an MX record added @domain.com in defaul policy now i can get mail only for alex@domain.com, but not alex.surename@domain.com what should i do? Add or modify email address format in Recipient Policy. %g.%s@domain.com http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822447 -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "guzzi" <guzzi@_DOT_yandex.ru> wrote in message news:OYTtu%238NGHA.2268@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > we have registered another domain > made an MX record > a...

Finding Data in multiple worksheets
Using Excel 2000, how can I find data in multiple worksheets; example: any number between 200 & 299 in 32 worksheets? If you mean you want to find a single number across 32 worksheets, group your worksheets (click on the first, ctrl-click on subsequent (or even shift-click)). Then Edit|Find But I think I'd use Jan Karel Pieterse's FlexFind: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/ If you meant you wanted to find all 100 numbers (200-299) in all 32 sheets, then I think I'd have a macro search for each number and report the results on a new worksheet. "mark@southwestconst.com&quo...

show multiple values that add to total in bar graph
Is there a way to show multiple values in a single bar (in a bar graph) that add up to a total (example: 127, 129, 87, 85, 60, 126, 89 add up to 703)? I want a sigle bar that goes to 703 but breaks the single bar down into these segments (preferrably by color showing the smaller segment amounts within the color. HELP!!!! Thanks! Hi, Is that not what the stacked column chart does? Cheers Andy Green Goose 89 wrote: > Is there a way to show multiple values in a single bar (in a bar graph) that > add up to a total (example: 127, 129, 87, 85, 60, 126, 89 add up to 703)? I > want...

Joining the domain; keep the calendar.
Sharing a calendar to exchange server this local computer has an outlook (pst) file that houses lots of contact & calendar data. I launch the mail applet in the control panel and add the exchange server -- no problem. However, I can't (there isn't the option) share the calendar. If I create a new user on the machine, and use the exchange server, I can share the new calendar. How can I get the exchange server to "see" the original calendar & share it? Thank you. --- AntiSpam/harvest --- Remove X's to send email to me. You can't share a folder that...