Joing old domain and new domain.

Hi,

I have a Windows 2003 domain, seperate Exchange 2003 server which is quite
flaky and I am in the process of designing and building a new Windows 2008
domain, Exchange 2010. The two will act in the begining as seperate domains
but will have to interact for data transfer and more importantly moving
Exchange mailboxes.

What is the best way to achieve this with the idea of dissolving the 2003
domain eventually and running only on the 2008 one. Will I have to do an
adprep? is a trust relationship the best way of doing it? These are the type
of things I need to know.

Any ideas, tips or links would be appreciated. No comments would be a waste
of time.

Hello Dave,

See the answer in your other psoting in microsoft.public.windows.server.general
"Windos trust" and please stick to one posting.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> Hi,
>
> I have a Windows 2003 domain, seperate Exchange 2003 server which is
> quite flaky and I am in the process of designing and building a new
> Windows 2008 domain, Exchange 2010. The two will act in the begining
> as seperate domains but will have to interact for data transfer and
> more importantly moving Exchange mailboxes.
>
> What is the best way to achieve this with the idea of dissolving the
> 2003 domain eventually and running only on the 2008 one. Will I have
> to do an adprep? is a trust relationship the best way of doing it?
> These are the type of things I need to know.
>
> Any ideas, tips or links would be appreciated. No comments would be a
> waste of time.

0
Meinolf
2/17/2010 10:25:24 AM
Cheers but I am lookimng for information and answers to a valid question.

Windows 2003 domain migration to a Windows 2008 domain. Not sbs 2003 as i
first thought so the forums are not much use to me.

"Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" wrote:

> Hello Dave,
>
> See the answer in your other psoting in microsoft.public.windows.server.general
> "Windos trust" and please stick to one posting.
>
> Best regards
>
> Meinolf Weber
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
> no rights.
> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a Windows 2003 domain, seperate Exchange 2003 server which is
> > quite flaky and I am in the process of designing and building a new
> > Windows 2008 domain, Exchange 2010. The two will act in the begining
> > as seperate domains but will have to interact for data transfer and
> > more importantly moving Exchange mailboxes.
> >
> > What is the best way to achieve this with the idea of dissolving the
> > 2003 domain eventually and running only on the 2008 one. Will I have
> > to do an adprep? is a trust relationship the best way of doing it?
> > These are the type of things I need to know.
> >
> > Any ideas, tips or links would be appreciated. No comments would be a
> > waste of time.
> >

> .

The general process would be something like this -

 - Build new Forest\Domain with 2008 and Exchange 2010.
 - Create two trust relationship between the domains.
 - Use Active Directory Migration Tool and Exchange Migration Wizard to move
users, mailboxes, groups and computers to the new domain.
 - Once everything is moved decommission 2003 forest\domain.

No need for adprep in the existing domain\forest.  You will need to extend
the schema in the new 2008 forest though to install Exchange.

This scenario assumes you will be creating a new forest with 2008 and not
just a new domain in your existing 2003 forest.  If you have problems with
your existing exchange org\forest I would suggest a brand new forest.

Best regards
Joe Dunn
MCTS, MCSE, CCNA

"Dave" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Windows 2003 domain, seperate Exchange 2003 server which is quite
> flaky and I am in the process of designing and building a new Windows 2008
> domain, Exchange 2010. The two will act in the begining as seperate domains
> but will have to interact for data transfer and more importantly moving
> Exchange mailboxes.
>
> What is the best way to achieve this with the idea of dissolving the 2003
> domain eventually and running only on the 2008 one. Will I have to do an
> adprep? is a trust relationship the best way of doing it? These are the type
> of things I need to know.
>
> Any ideas, tips or links would be appreciated. No comments would be a waste
> of time.

Hello Dave,

Maybe this article gives you an overview about needed steps for Exchange
cross forest migration. AFAIK there is until now no documentaion for Exchange
2010. But therefore you should better use the Exchange newsgroups or Exchange
forum.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996926(EXCHG.80).aspx

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/exchange2010/thread/cc93ea39-2de8-44b8-8cdf-08528eab1cea

And as asked before in the posting "Windows Trust "from microsoft.public.windows.server.general:

So no user/machine/security group accounts should be migrated in Active directory?

If you have 2 complete separate forests you have to create a forest trust
between them, that way you can copy the data between them.

Also a external harddisk can be used to transfer the data, maybe easier if
not that amount of data must be copied.

For exchange i would export the mailboxes to .pst and implement the .pst
into the new Exchange server. Without cross forest migration the .pst part
seems a working solution. Keep attention about the needed Outlook version
in the article.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> Hi,
>
> I have a Windows 2003 domain, seperate Exchange 2003 server which is
> quite flaky and I am in the process of designing and building a new
> Windows 2008 domain, Exchange 2010. The two will act in the begining
> as seperate domains but will have to interact for data transfer and
> more importantly moving Exchange mailboxes.
>
> What is the best way to achieve this with the idea of dissolving the
> 2003 domain eventually and running only on the 2008 one. Will I have
> to do an adprep? is a trust relationship the best way of doing it?
> These are the type of things I need to know.
>
> Any ideas, tips or links would be appreciated. No comments would be a
> waste of time.

0
Meinolf
2/17/2010 9:27:34 PM
Everyone else has dealt with the Domain side of things.

But that does not cover Exchange.  Exchange is completely separate.
In my opinion the best non-destructive way to handle Exchange is to use
ExMerge.exe to export the mail from the old Exchange into PST files.  Then
use ExMerge to import the PST files into the new Exchange.    No trust is
needed,..the two Exchanges don't even need to know that the other one even
exists.   Bonus:...if you screw it up the old Exchange is still intact and
"untouched".

--
Phillip Windell

Phillip
2/18/2010 4:20:35 PM
I have read all the post including the moans, perfectly valid and allowed :).
The information you guys have given me is so valuable for the planning of
what the company needs to do.

Thank you all for your time and input.

>I have read all the post including the moans, perfectly valid and allowed
>:).
> The information you guys have given me is so valuable for the planning of
> what the company needs to do.
>
> Thank you all for your time and input.

Yes, apparently there were some moans and groans, but they do bring an
additional light to the situation that indicates how many feel about the
various methods. So there is no *one* solution, but the preferred is
PowerShell.

Good luck! Post back if you have any additional questions.

Ace

0
Ace

Problems Reformatting with a new style
The doc has extra lines between paragraphs. Applying my new style does not remove them. How to do this in a one-time operation? The new style also does not change the original para. indentation to the new setting. Thank you for any help. Word 2003. Assuming that the spacing is not caused by empty paragraphs - click the � button (CTRL+*) to check, modify the paragraph style applied to your documents to remove the inter-paragraph spacing and to apply the indent. If that style is 'Normal' better still create a newstyle that does these things (or modify the built-in Body T...

Entourage apparently importing from old source

host unreachable on some domains
My exchange 5.5 (sp4) server on NT4.0 (sp6) was receiving and sending mails. Without change anything on it, the server failed to send mails to two domains (...so far). Inbound mail from internet works fine. Local recipient send and receive are fine. All emails to other domains has no problem. I've done NSlook up test to those queuing mail destinations, no problem. My server is not blacklisted. Port 25 is not using by other applications. Sendinhg email out by command line works. In the queue, Messages awaiting to be delivered, detail of the mail says, "Host unreachable"....

Converting e-mail to case within the same domain
Hi i am currently running crm 1.2 and with this utilizing the c360 tool to convert e-mail sent through to cases. however this only works if the mail is sent from an external domain. any one setting this up had the same problem? pleeeze help Natasha ...

After Inter-domain move
Hi there, We just moved our CRM 3.0 into a different domain and on to a new SQL/CRM server using the Migration tool on the CRM CD. But we are seeing the following. In Microsoft CRM Environment Diagnostics Wizard we have 2 warnings: Job MSDN_Subscriber_MSCRM.Update Contract States could not be found in the sysjobs table. Job Start_Incremental on MSDN_Subscriber_MSCRM.ftcat_documentindex.[7.5] could not be found in the sysjobs table. Does anyone know how to create these jobs manually? Also we lost full-text catalog ftcat_documentindex. Any ideas. ...

Move Exchange 5.5 mailboxes from one domain to another
Hi, is there a way to move a bunch of Exchange mailboxes from one Exchange 5.5 server on one domain to a diferent Exchange 5.5 server on a different domain? Many thanks, A ...

old backup
I use outlook 2003. I was looking for some old mails that should be hiding somewhere in an old .pst bakup. (Format presumably 97 or 2000). I hear that importing that format into my present Outlook should give trouble, is that correct? If so, is there a way to look at these old pst files and mails other than finding a computer with an old version of Outlook? jim jim3975 <3975jim@planet.nl> wrote: > I use outlook 2003. I was looking for some old mails that should be > hiding somewhere in an old .pst bakup. (Format presumably 97 or > 2000). I hear that importing that format int...

Old Old MS Money
I have a client with an old Windows 98 SE system and some version of MS Money. Will Money 2007 migrate data files from previous versions that old? Thanks, Bill In microsoft.public.money, Bill wrote: >I have a client with an old Windows 98 SE >system and some version of MS Money. >Will Money 2007 migrate data files from >previous versions that old? See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913108/en-us for discussion of how to do that. Thanks Cal. I'll proceed with the conversion once I determine what my client has. Maybe I'll luck out and find he's at 2004. Bill &qu...

Revert to old version of a file?
I clicked Save instead of Save as, can I get back the old version Might be lucky and find it in the temp folder. Type %temp% in the address bar in Windows Explorer. Find files with the prefix "pub", change the .tmp to .pub. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Eva C" <Eva C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BBAF6D05-A218-4328-BD1D-06EAECA935B4@microsoft.com... >I clicked Save instead of Save as, can I get back the old version ...

Exchange 2003 and Multiple external Domain Names
I currently have a situation that not sure how to handle. The company that I do consulting for is changing their company name from company1.com to company2.com. Curretnly they have a internaly domain called company1.com and a external domain also called company1.com with a exchange 2003 server internally and a external mx record pointing mail.company1.com. Since now they are looking to change the company name they purchase another domain name called company2.com, the idea is to create aliases in the same exchange server to accept mail in behalf on both domains until the old company name...

Show Record from SubForm on a new window
Hi, I have a Form with a clients info(Name, Address, Phone, etc.) and a SubForm with calls I receive from this client. I want to be able to double click a new row on the SubForm to create a New call, or see the old calls in a Single Form View. But just one record at a time. Is this possible? Any ideas on how to do this? Thanks Look at OpenArgs "cbayardo" <cbayardo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F41B693A-8C24-438B-83EF-461BC6A25F84@microsoft.com... > Hi, I have a Form with a clients info(Name, Address, Phone, etc.) and a > SubForm with calls I rec...

Old mail
I have many users in company, one of them, he has emil-account in outlook 2007, when he log in to computer the emil-account in outklook is missing ( he gets new outlook ) there is no emil-account, how can I get his an email back and also the old messages. (dissappear all messege in an inbox) "Rashed" <Rashed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9381F45D-173B-4A98-AC10-3E9B977C48E0@microsoft.com... >I have many users in company, one of them, he has emil-account in outlook > 2007, when he log in to computer the emil-account in outklook is missing ( > ...

Moving worksheets to new workbook
I have a workbook with multiple worksheets. Each worksheet tracks activity for a specific item during a period of time. Upon completion of recording the activity during the tracking period, I need to move the worksheet, for that specific item, from that workbook, to a different workbook for completed records. I need help in how this can be done. Wally wally With both workbooks open, from the workbook you want to move the one sheet. Right click on the sheet tab you want to move, from this menu select "Move or Copy". Under the "To Book" drop down select your &l...

Creat a new worksheet
Please help me to write a VBA code to creat a new worksheet named "New" Thanks Hi lashio ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Add.Name = "New" -- XL2003 Regards William willwest22@yahoo.com "lashio" <lashio@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:EhYae.113497$cg1.25477@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... > Please help me to write a VBA code to creat a new worksheet named "New" > Thanks > On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 02:07:32 GMT, "lashio" <lashio@worldnet.att.net> wrote: >Please help me to write a VBA code to creat a new work...

New Essay: Bug in _CrtMemCheckpoint
There is a bug in either the documentation or the implementation of _CrtMemCheckpoint. I have an essay on this http://www.flounder.com/bugincrtmemcheckpoint.htm joe Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP] email: newcomer@flounder.com Web: http://www.flounder.com MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm ...

Removing Old Exchange 2003 Server
I had a server running exchange 2003 and we added a new server with larger capacity and installed exchange 2003 on it also and I was wondering the best practices to remove the old system and make the new system the primary (and only) server running exchange. Any help would be much appreciated Thanks Try this. http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Remove-Exchange-server-entire-Exchange-organization.html "Micah" <Micah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:25EDAF39-26F2-46E3-AE21-94ECBA590D2A@microsoft.com... >I had a server running exchange 2003 and we add...

16-year old completes Sail Around the World in 7 months
Australian teen completes round-the-world sail May 15, 5:36 AM (ET) By KRISTEN GELINEAU SYDNEY (AP) - A 16-year-old Australian who spent seven months at sea in her pink yacht sailed across the finish line of her round-the-world journey Saturday, becoming the youngest sailor to circle the globe solo, nonstop and unassisted. Thousands of spectators erupted into cheers as Jessica Watson sailed into Sydney Harbour, the finale to an epic adventure in which she battled 40-foot (12-meter) waves, homesickness and critics who said she'd never make it home alive. "She said ...

Old data in pivot tables
Hi, how can I get out old data from pivot table, which is not longer used in source table. Example (source table): Name Age Tom 20 Bob 15 Jane 23 I make pivot table and then I remove Bob(from source table), but in pivot table is still stay!!! Refresh table is work but record stays... Thanks Radim There are instructions here for clearing old items from a PivotTable dropdown list: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot04.html Raaada wrote: > Hi, > how can I get out old data from pivot table, which is not longer used in &...

Outlook 2000 save domain and username HELP!
Hey all... help please? I have Outlook 2000 on a machine NOT joined to the domain, but accessing a Exch 2003 server. It is configured for MAPI mode. POP/IMAP are not options. How do I force Outlook to save the Username and Domain (not password)? I had a reg punch at my last job that would do this, but I can't find it now. Thanks! Tony ...

A copy of a chart doesn't change when the original has new range
So I have a chart that is based on data until october: paid unpaid total paid vs unpaid january 1 65 66 2% february 3 5484 5487 0% march 564 2621 3185 18% april 561 56194 56755 1% may 516 548 1064 48% june 61 64 125 49% july 61 894894 894955 0% august 6 9494 9500 0% september 161 48949 49110 0% october 9616 949189 958805 1% november 0 #DIV/0! december 0 #DIV/0! Then I create a copy of this chart in new worksheet. However, when I update range of the original chart until December (specifing new range) with updated figures, the copy doesn't update itself and I have to also manually up...

<semi-random ID>@subdomain.domain.com
Could someone point me in the right direction to configure Exchange 2003 to do the following: Accept e-mail through SMTP with addresses formatted as either specialuser+<semi-random ID>@domain.com or <semi-random ID>@subdomain.domain.com and place it into one mailbox. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Nathan Hartley http://iLothlorien.com ...

fix old file created with an old version of excel
I have a workbook that I have inherited from a previous employee. I believe that it was created with an old version of Excel, or even with Lotus 123. Basically, I have a few sheets containing what seems to be the code for macros (they in fact appear under the tools>macro>macros menu). Since they do not work, and since I have more or less an idea of what they do, I decided to erase them and create my own macros. If I erase the sheets containing the code, I cannot erase the name of the macros under the macros menu. Neither is possible to erase the names from the macros menu. Can someo...

Adding a Second Domain Name to 5.5
I am adding a second domain name to our mail. I went into the IMS and added blazierlaw.com to the routing group for inbound but I get no mail. The Mx record is pointing tomy server. what am i missing The secondary domain name that you have should be registered with internic or any internet registar '. Also the IP address of where that domain should be re-routed to from anywhere on the internet should point to a location or point of presence on the company wan that will send the mail back to the e-mail server. if the new domain name cannot be resolved on the open internet, any e-ma...

transfer old message and set up rules
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel Hi all, I have 2 questions: 1. How to transfer old email messages from Outlook (.pst) to Entourage. I have downloaded the update package of Office 2008 and install it but still the option of .pst file does not appear when I do import in Entourage. 2. How to set up rules when I received email from certain sender it will automatically move to certain sub folder in Inbox. With all many thanks, Paulina On 3/16/08 6:50 23PM, in article ee94e9f.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Paulina_Lo@officeformac.com" <Paulina_L...