having problems with DSMOD not ignoring errors

Hi,

I am trying to remove all users in a specific OU from a group.  The command
that I am giving is below

dsquery user "ou=TestOU,dc=domainname,dc=com" -limit 10000 | dsmod group
"CN=Test_Group,ou=Groups,dc=domainname,dc=com" -rmmbr -c

From what I understand, the -c tells dsmod to ignore errors and continue.
But this is not happening.  It stops as soon as it comes across someone that
is already not a member of the group.  What am I doing wrong?

On a side note it would be REALLY nice if when looking at group membership
that I can sort on the Active Directory Folder column. This whole thing
would then become a non-issue.  :)

thanks
   Pete

0
Peter

I don't believe this will work as you expect, I believe the way you have
this defined is in single object mode.  The arguments are expected in a list
otherwise the parameter is ignored.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732423(WS.10).aspx

--
Paul Bergson
MVP - Directory Services

http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Peter J. Dickason, MCSE" <NOSPAMPeterdotDickasonatAirgasdotcom@email.com>
wrote in message news:uy4VmtNpKHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to remove all users in a specific OU from a group.  The
> command that I am giving is below
>
> dsquery user "ou=TestOU,dc=domainname,dc=com" -limit 10000 | dsmod group
> "CN=Test_Group,ou=Groups,dc=domainname,dc=com" -rmmbr -c
>
> From what I understand, the -c tells dsmod to ignore errors and continue.
> But this is not happening.  It stops as soon as it comes across someone
> that is already not a member of the group.  What am I doing wrong?
>
> On a side note it would be REALLY nice if when looking at group membership
> that I can sort on the Active Directory Folder column. This whole thing
> would then become a non-issue.  :)
>
> thanks
>   Pete

0
Paul
2/4/2010 1:25:24 PM
Thanks for the response.  So what can I do to remove users in an OU from a
group?  The number of users would be in the thousands so I can't do it by
hand.

thanks
   Pete

0
Peter
2/4/2010 4:40:24 PM
I'm not sure what your criteria is but I would use Powershell, although
there are many vbscript scripts you can probably piece together.

You should be able to define a set of criteria and for each member you
determine should be removed call a routine to delete them.  Here are two
examples below.  I have a sync program that does this and it works very
slick, but obviously this isn't the same code.

List members of a group
http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/ScriptCenter/en-us/b160d928-fb9e-4c49-a194-f2e5a3e806ae

Remove a Member from a group
http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/ScriptCenter/en-us/94264c95-8ce9-42c3-9711-d27330f2095e

--

wrote in message news:OMXLBjbpKHA.1548@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for the response.  So what can I do to remove users in an OU from a
> group?  The number of users would be in the thousands so I can't do it by
> hand.
>
> thanks
>   Pete

0
Paul
2/5/2010 1:24:04 PM
Thanks for the info.

Pete

"Paul Bergson [MVP-DS]" <pbbergs@no_spammsn.com> wrote in message
> I'm not sure what your criteria is but I would use Powershell, although
> there are many vbscript scripts you can probably piece together.
>
> You should be able to define a set of criteria and for each member you
> determine should be removed call a routine to delete them.  Here are two
> examples below.  I have a sync program that does this and it works very
> slick, but obviously this isn't the same code.
>
> List members of a group
> http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/ScriptCenter/en-us/b160d928-fb9e-4c49-a194-f2e5a3e806ae
>
> Remove a Member from a group
> http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/ScriptCenter/en-us/94264c95-8ce9-42c3-9711-d27330f2095e
>

> --
> Paul Bergson
> MVP - Directory Services
> MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, BS CSci
> 2008, 2003, 2000 (Early Achiever), NT4
> Microsoft's Thrive IT Pro of the Month - June 2009
>
> http://www.pbbergs.com
>
> Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
> posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

0
Peter

Problem shortcuts in Word

Outlook 2003 PST problems

msgbox error
We are running into a strange problem with one of our Access 97 applications. We are running the app on a terminal server. Whenever the code tries to fire a msgbox, it hangs, and then comes up with a SQL ODBC connect error. It only happens when they are logged onto the terminal server and its consistent. If I run the app from my workstation, it works fine. Any ideas? There are no firewalls, this is on the internal network. Thanks, --Mike ...

Problem with Authentication

calendar problem

problem #4

95 and 97 problem

Date problem

sync problems

error opening Outlook #4
I just installed Office XP standard onto a new Sony laptop running XP Pro. All other Office programs work fine except for Outlook. When Outlook opens it stays open for just a few seconds and then closes. Next time I try to open it I get a "safe mode" message but it still does not open. I have installed, unistalled and reinstalled. I have booted and rebooted. Your thoughts? Try a new mail profile. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. Af...

Office 2007 - HELP

Installation Problem!!

Resource editor problems

Directory Replication Problem #2

Cell Format

outlook web access redirect problem

Adobe error limit check Offending command
I can't seem to convert my file to adobe - I have been doing it for years and all of a sudden i am having problems. The error massage says: error limitcheck; offending command; image distiller stack. at the very bottom is says warning; Post Script error. I am at my wits end. -- Jan Jan W wrote: > I can't seem to convert my file to adobe - I have been doing it for years and > all of a sudden i am having problems. The error massage says: error > limitcheck; offending command; image distiller stack. at the very bottom is > says warning; Post Script error. a) Adobe is...

Problem after sorting

IF AND problem

Problem SHAppBarMessage
Hi, I am creating an application bar which shall be displayed always at the top of the screen to show the user certain alerts. I am using the commands SHAppBarMessage(ABM_NEW, &abd); SHAppBarMessage(ABM_QUERYPOS, &abd); SHAppBarMessage(ABM_SETPOS, &abd); SetWindowPos(NULL, abd.rc.left, abd.rc.top, abd.rc.right - abd.rc.left, iClientHeight, SWP_NOACTIVATE); Works fine. The problem begins, when I start moving the taskbar. I am catching the event OnSettingChange and my application bar is resizing/moving correctly. BUT: If the taskbar moves to the top and my application bar ...

Run time error '9' Subscript out of range
Hi, I am getting an error in the following code at the line marked with ****. Any ideas why?? ----------------------- Workbooks("Game").Sheets("Data").Activate Dim OLEObj As OLEObject For i = 0 To 4 Set OLEObj = ActiveSheet.OLEObjects.Add(ClassType:="Forms.CommandButton.1", Link:=False _ , DisplayAsIcon:=False, Left:=50 + i * 100, Top:=10, Width:=80, Height:= _ 25) OLEObj.name = "TheButton" & i ' ' Create the event procedure ' With ActiveWorkbook.VBProject.VBComponents(OL...