Authentication against a windows 2003 server

Hej

I'm using a network with a linux dhcp and dns server.

I need to implement authentication through Active Directory on a web
site. I have installed a windows 2003 server, and made the web
application authenticate against users in the servers Active Directory.
It all works perfectly.

Now I need to test NTLM (single sign on), ie. you log in on a windows
client (Windows Vista in this case), and you should then be logged in on
the web site without entering your username and password when you open
the browser. Therefore I need to authenticate vista against the windows
2003 server.

In the login box on Vista you, as I understand it, write "windows
domain"/"user name in AD" to log in, eg. mycompany.local/jonas. However
this doesn't work.

My question is where in Windows Vista you enter the address of the
windows server you want to authenticate against?

I have tried to enter the ip address of the windows2003 server as the
dns server, bit that doesn't change anything. I hope that some of you
have a suggestion.

Best Regards, Jonas

0
Jonas

Howdie!

Jonas Nielsen schrieb:
> I need to implement authentication through Active Directory on a web
> site. I have installed a windows 2003 server, and made the web
> application authenticate against users in the servers Active Directory.
> It all works perfectly.
>
> Now I need to test NTLM (single sign on), ie. you log in on a windows
> client (Windows Vista in this case), and you should then be logged in on

Windows uses Kerberos by default. Is it Kerberos you want to test? NTLM?
Or just single-sign-on functionality?

> the web site without entering your username and password when you open
> the browser. Therefore I need to authenticate vista against the windows
> 2003 server.

Okay - where's the web application installed? On that Windows Server
2003? Are all those machines (Vista client, web server, DC) in the same
domain? How's DNS configured? Do clients use the DC as the primary DNS
source?

> In the login box on Vista you, as I understand it, write "windows
> domain"/"user name in AD" to log in, eg. mycompany.local/jonas. However
> this doesn't work.
>
> My question is where in Windows Vista you enter the address of the
> windows server you want to authenticate against?

You basically join it to the domain. That's about all.

> I have tried to enter the ip address of the windows2003 server as the
> dns server, bit that doesn't change anything. I hope that some of you
> have a suggestion.

So what is it, that you really want to test? What is the end goal?

Cheers,
Florian
--
Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
eMail: prename [at] frickelsoft [dot] net.
Florian Frommherz [MVP] skrev:

> You basically join it to the domain. That's about all.

I wasn't aware that you should add the computer on the server. I mean,
you don't add the computer on the server when you use openldap.

> So what is it, that you really want to test? What is the end goal?

I have tried to rephrase the question in a new post. Feel free to ask if
you need specific details.
0
Jonas

Publisher 2003 freeze
When I use Publisher 2003 and no other programs are running, it freezes for a few seconds, frequently. After I close Publisher, all other programs start to do the same thing until I restart. Sometimes that doesn't work. I have all the latest updates. Any advice would be much appreciated. Could be your video/graphics driver. Slide the acceleration down on your adapter, control panel, display folder, settings tab, advanced button, troubleshoot tab. If this seems to solve your problem, go to the manufacturer's web site of your graphics card and look around for an updated drive...

Authentication failed
I recently canceled my high speed internet and am using a personal WiFi. I am no longer using my comcast. email address, which I would use Outlook to read. I get a pop up that says "Authentication failed for s.newhouse@comcast.net" "The server responded: invalid user name/password". I went into 'tools' and deleted the comcast account and still get the message. How do I make it stop? I am using XP. Thank you! On Wed, 19 May 2010 20:24:01 -0700, MacknKeagsMom <MacknKeagsMom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I recently canceled my high s...

Failed Update KB978474 OfficeExcel 2003.ErrorCode0x80070643
2010-03-18 Tomas Nugis Stockholm Sweden.Win Vista Business.Office 2003. Failed update Excel 2003. KB 978474 First of all.Thanks to PA Bear for all your webbsites to solve this update.Professional 1.Info: I"ve found failure code 779 ( HEX code 1913).ERROR code 0x800 70 643 is a generall code for Win Installer problems. 2.I found info in Log files and the Registry Editor key. You can get ALL info there. I check what has happend and all the folders and files. So fare so good. 3. I sent a request to MS Support in Sweden about the failed update KB 978474. 4. I got the answere:Wi...

Neswreader in Outlook 2003...
Hello, I am trying to enable the newsgroup reader in Outlook 2003 but I having difficulty. I am running WinXP Pro with service pack 2 installed. I've also installed all required updates for WinXP Pro and Office 2003. I've read the following from Microsoft Office Outlook help: The first time you use the newsreader, you must add the News command to the Go menu. 1.. Add the News command to the Go menu. How? 1.. On the Standard toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, press ALT and then SHIFT+F10.), click the To...

crm 3.0 : authentication error
Hi, I get the authentication error prompt for each user having the same login username in the internal domain than in the CRM domain. Passwords are not the same in each domain, and there seems to be some kind of automatic authentication while loading the page in IE. Is there any setting, which could help me prevent this ? thanks, @ntonio By default, the IIS web site allowed anonymous connections. I disabled them, allowing only integrated authentication. It now works fine! @ntonio ...

windows defender turning off??
my defender some how turning off..when i restart my pc i have to turn defender back on again ...plz help Ragman wrote: > my defender some how turning off..when i restart my pc i have to turn defender > back on again ...plz help You should post to a Windows O/S forum. This is a .NET programmer's forum. ...

Installing CRM 3.0 and SQL 2005 RS on the same server
I hope that my experiences may be useful to anyone attempting to install CRM 3.0 and SQL 2005 Reporting Services ("RS" hereafter) on the same server. LESSON 1: Make sure that the IIS website RS is running on is configured to use port 80. I've noticed that if you attempt to tell the CRM installer to use a URL for RS that has a port number in it (for example: http://localhost:8080/ReportServer/) then you may receive the following cryptic error: "The specified path is not a metabase path." If you receive this error, try running RS on port 80, and omitting the :por...

Extender window follows parent
Would like to see an extender window follow it's parent. For example, when the key in the parent changes, the Extender window would refresh it's data based on the key. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions...

Outlook 2003: You do not have permission to change the current timezone
Hi All, Here is my current setup: OS: Vista Business 32-bit Outlook: 2003 Server Env.: POP3, no exchange server When I try to change the current timezone, I get the error "You do not have permission to change the current timezone". I was able to do that when I have Windows XP. I've already disabled the user access control but it is still NOT ok. Can anyone give me some hints? Thanks. are you changing it within outlook's time zone dialog or vista's? did you upgrade vista over xp? are you logged in with a user or admin acct? if a user acct, open the control pa...

Adding Disclaimer to outgoing email on Exchange 2003
I had a disclaimer for all outgoing emails on my Exchange 5.5 server but I'm not sure if I should use it with Exchange 2003. I believe a file called imsext.dll was what I used for Exchange 5.5. Thanks, Rafael http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q317680 "Rafael" <rafael1119@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eHR0PwP5DHA.2348@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I had a disclaimer for all outgoing emails on my Exchange 5.5 server but I'm > not sure if I should use it with Exchange 2003. > > I believe a file called imsext.dll was what I used for ...

MTA operational level of Exchange 2003
I have raised the level of operation of Exchange 2003 Server to a pure 2003 environment to enable Query Based Distribution Groups does this disable the MTA service? I think I am getting an issue with the x400 queue, but I am not really sure. Thanks, vex On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 13:25:01 -0700, "CB" <CB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have raised the level of operation of Exchange 2003 Server to a pure 2003 >environment to enable Query Based Distribution Groups does this disable the >MTA service? I think I am getting an issue with the x400 queue, but I am not &...

problems sending mail between two exchange servers
I have installed a server at a client's office running sbs 2003. I redirected his MX record to start sending mail there and it is working for most mail except there are a few people whos mail is not getting through. Both other people are also running exchange servers, one is 2003, and the other is 2000. The process goes like this. The sender sends mail to this other server. It gets queued up on the sending server, then sent out. The mail returns to the sending server's queue. After 24 hours a delay warning gets sent to the sender with the subject "Delivery Status ...

Restart Window Service
Hi, I have an application that attempts to start a service that is detected to be stopped by the user using SetServiceStatus. However, this is only successful on the first time but fails on the subsequent tries with an error message 'Could not stop the <service name> service on local computer. The service did not return an error. This could be an internal windows error or an internal service error. if problem persists, contact your system administrator'. Anyone knows why? Regards cleohm Which version of Windows? What does the code look like? What ACLs were set for ...

password protecting personal folders in outlook 2003 won't work
I've tried to password protect my personal folders in outlook 2003 by right clicking on the personal folder, select properties and then put a password in, but it doens't work. Does anyone know how to password protect personal folders in outlook 2003. "dawnnolan" <dawnnolan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0F4C6B26-613F-44B6-ACBE-78DE262C8BAC@microsoft.com... > I've tried to password protect my personal folders in outlook 2003 by right > clicking on the personal folder, select properties and then put a password > in, but it do...

Excel Hyperlinks Broken After Windows Update 11/25
I left an Excel document open, not realizing Windows update would be restarting my computer while I was gone. When I got back, my file had reopened (autosave), but when I click on a Hyperlink (to a .tif file in the same folder), I get the message: "cannot open the specified file". This is a 36,000 row document that is worthless without the hyperlinking function. I went back to the file as backed up yesterday and I get the same result. No existing hyperlinks will open. If I create a new hyperlink, it works. I tried backing out of the system updates one at a time, b...

Excel 2003 workgroup template location
When you selected "new" in the file menu Excel 2000 used to display all avaiable templates both locally and in a specified workgroup location much in the same way as Word. It *was* possible throught the now defunct office shortcut bar to customize an alternate startup file location/user templates location. Excel 2003 seems to lack this capacity to rapidly access a centralized store of templates as a default. This is a major ommission as I am certain many companies rely on employeess accessing a standardized template set, instead of the default Excel ones. Everything in 2003 ...

HQ Admin Error: To connect to this server you must use SQL Server Management Studio or SQL Server Management Objects(SMO)
I am having a problem with HQ Admin after upgrading to SQL Server Express on my HQ Server computer (running 1.3R). HQ Admin works fine in all respects from this computer. However, when I try to run HQ Admin from any other computer on the network I get this error when I try to connect: To connect to this server you must use SQL Server Management Studio or SQL Server Management Objects(SMO) I can run HQ manager and enter the configuration fine. However, I am restricted from connecting (so I can't run SQL queries). Any ideas? Apparently I am not alone... I found this old post on Goog...

OWA - SSL
Hi I have a problem with OWA, SSL.... can you help me.... let me tell you exactly what I did: I have FE/BE server... both windows 2003 Enterprise sever SP1 and Exchange 2003 SP1 FE: Srv2 192.168.0.2 BE: Srv1 192.168.0.1 The BE server (Srv1) is CA root and DNS : mail A 192.168.0.2 mail MX mail.domain.com srv2 A 192.168.0.2 srv1 A 192.168.0.1 NS: srv1.domain.com CA: certificate Autority: srv1.domain.com mail.domain.com Issued To mail.domain.com Issued By mail.domain.com Exchange mail server url for internal and ext...

Exchange Server Unavailable #9
need some help connecting a user to an Exchange server mailbox I have a SOHO in which I have 5 boxes running Windows XP Pro, 1 file server running Windows 2000 and 1 laptop running Windows XP Pro. The file server has Active directory running and Exchange server 5.5 is installed on the file server. All of the boxes had become members of the local domain and logged into the domain to used shared files. The laptop had never become a member of the domain. Under the "Computer name" tab of System Properties, the laptop name was shown as weinerb and the Workgroup appeared as "workgro...

Continuous Form, Window Top Record Ordinal
On continuous view forms, there should be a form property that has the recordset ordinal of the top-most record currently displayed in the form’s window. For example, if a recordset contains 100 records and the CurrentRecord is 5 and the user scrolls down until the CurrentRecord disappears off the top of the screen, what is the recordset ordinal for the record that is now at the top of the window? Left clicking on the scrollbar slider will display “Record: x of y”, but there should be a property that contains the value of x for code purposes. Perhaps call it “WindowTopRecord...

DDE equivalent in Excel 2003 / .NET ?
Hello, Is there a new native technoloy that would allow to do the same as DDE within Excel, but more efficient and more robust and future proof ? I mean the same as a real-time-values-update (push) through a new kind of DDE link to a kind of DDE Server. Today there is not DDE support in .NET, isn't it ? Regards, Cybertof. ...

windows mail
cannot receive emails. sending works fine. all settings have been checked by suddenlink and all seems in order. still cannot receive. anyone have an idea why? -- Gary Any error message when you try to receive? What happens when you send an email to yourself? When you log in to webmail at http://home.suddenlink.net are there=20 messages in that Inbox waiting to be downloaded to Windows Mail? --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "Gary R" <chesterlyle@suddenlink.net> wrote in message = news:E...

GET WINDOW PROPERTIES FROM HANDLE
how can i get alll the properties of a window( not created by a user application) from the Window Handle? regards, kedar. >how can i get alll the properties of a window( not created by a user >application) from the Window Handle? Which "properties" are you looking for? Dave "David Lowndes" wrote: > >how can i get alll the properties of a window( not created by a user > >application) from the Window Handle? > > Which "properties" are you looking for? > > Dave > thank you for tour immediate response... i want t...

2 Email Domains On One Physical Server
I have installed Exchange 2k3 Sp2 im running my company domain mail.mycompany domains.com now i want to run one more domain mail.myorganization.com email server on same server which steps i want to do in exchange server please guide me and one more thing i have 2 two servers i want to install 2 exchange servers on one network with 2 diferent domain controller it is possible to run 2 domain controllers one same network with exchange 2k sp2 installation on it please reply me ...

conecting windows mail and windows live
i cant figure out what to type in the incoming and outgoing adresses (pop3) and (smtp) It depends on your ISP/Server. And yours is_________________? -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "jb72k20" <jb72k20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9864248-F451-44FB-B281-2DCB72FB81E6@microsoft.com... >i cant figure out what to type in the incoming and outgoing adresses >(pop3) > and (smtp) If your email address ends in @live.com or @hotmail.com see http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!CC9301187A51...