ADAM to AD LDS Migration

We have an ADAM instance (Windows Server 2003 sp2) on an old server
and would like to migrate it to AD LDS (Windows Server 2008 sp1) on a
new server.  It contains about 6 million entries and takes uses about
24 gb of storage.  Is it possible to copy the .dit file from the old
server to the new?  If not, are there any isseus besides network
traffic in building the AD LDS instance and having the ADAM instance
replicate to it?
0
drm

Hi

picking the DIT from a downlevel ADAM is not supported as far as I know.
Replication from ADAM to AD LDS is OK if the servers are domain-joined
but does not currently work if the servers are members of a workgroup.

Given the size of the DIT I think I would build a test server on WS03 and
test the replication.

Something else that might be of interest in testing applications is to take
backup of your ADAM instance
and restore to a different (WS03) server and then do an in place upgrade of
new server
to WS08 and upgrade ADAM to AD LDS. You could then target that server with
client applications
for testing.

Lee Flight

"drm" <don.mai@westernsouthernlife.com> wrote in message
> We have an ADAM instance (Windows Server 2003 sp2) on an old server
> and would like to migrate it to AD LDS (Windows Server 2008 sp1) on a
> new server.  It contains about 6 million entries and takes uses about
> 24 gb of storage.  Is it possible to copy the .dit file from the old
> server to the new?  If not, are there any isseus besides network
> traffic in building the AD LDS instance and having the ADAM instance
> replicate to it?

0
Lee
5/7/2010 3:21:52 PM
On May 7, 11:21=A0am, "Lee Flight" <l...@le.ac.uk-nospam> wrote:
> Hi
>
> picking the DIT from a downlevel ADAM is not supported as far as I know.
> Replication from ADAM to AD LDS is OK if the servers are domain-joined
> but does not currently work if the servers are members of a workgroup.
>
> Given the size of the DIT I think I would build a test server on WS03 and
> test the replication.
>
> Something else that might be of interest in testing applications is to ta=
ke
> backup of your ADAM instance
> and restore to a different (WS03) server and then do an in place upgrade =
of
> new server
> to WS08 and upgrade ADAM to AD LDS. You could then target that server wit=
> client applications
> for testing.
>
> Lee Flight
>
> "drm" <don....@westernsouthernlife.com> wrote in message

> > We have an ADAM instance (Windows Server 2003 sp2) on an old server
> > and would like to migrate it to AD LDS (Windows Server 2008 sp1) on a
> > new server. =A0It contains about 6 million entries and takes uses about
> > 24 gb of storage. =A0Is it possible to copy the .dit file from the old
> > server to the new? =A0If not, are there any isseus besides network
> > traffic in building the AD LDS instance and having the ADAM instance
> > replicate to it?

Thanks.  It looks like I have some testing to do.  I will post back if
I have any problems with either method.
0
drm

Adding another GAL
Hello, my name is Brian Swanson. My company just recently purchased another corporation and they would like to add all the email addresses from there Exchange Server into our Exchange Server. We are not on the same netowk yet nor are we a trusted entitiy with them yet. This will be done in the future but until then we like to add each other's GAL to the appropiate Exchange Server. We are currently running 5.5 and will be upgrading after the merger is done. We will be 2003 then with AD. Big jump I know. http://www.cps-systems.com/ "Brian Swanson" <swansonbd@uticorporation.c...

Adding text to all outgoing messages...
I would like to add a text message to all outgoing mail messages. How can i do this ? Carlos for your text (assuming you are usaing exchange)... http://www.gfi.com/downloads/downloads.aspx?pid=ME&lid=en They provide a free version that does disclaimers. "Carlos Mendes" wrote: > I would like to add a text message to all outgoing mail messages. How > can i do this ? > > Carlos > check this vbs sample http://www.aloaha.com/article/eventsink.html "Carlos Mendes" <cjmendes@confetil.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:51esu09sh1tpfl4usbfbht083cq970...

MFC Migration Kit still exists?
Does it still exist? Can I convert MSDN Win32 samples to MFC base? REFERENCE: --------------- Microsoft Visual C++/Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC) Frequently Asked Questions Michael Pickens (mfc_faq@stingray.com) Version 5.6 Last updated: 7/14/98 ...says that: 13.5.6. What's the best way to convert my C Windows App to MFC? Microsoft and Symantec have jointly developed a tool that helps you make the move from a C Windows application to MFC. It's called the MFC migration kit. You can find it on the MSVC 2.x CD-ROM in the MFCKIT directory. The kit is also available from the Microsof...

Adding a note to the calander
Hi guys, Does anyone know how can I add a note to the calander which will, for example, notify me that on this date I talked to someone important, or ordered something in a store, etc. Is there a native way to do it, or is there an add-in for it? Thanks, Tal! dushkin@012.net.il wrote: > Hi guys, > > Does anyone know how can I add a note to the calander which will, for > example, notify me that on this date I talked to someone important, or > ordered something in a store, etc. Is there a native way to do it, or > is there an add-in for it? > > Thanks, Tal! You can ...

Publisher is adding a white box around a picture
I am doing a catalog merge in Publisher. I use EPS to inport into the document. The pictures do not have a border around them but after I pdf out of publisher and open in corel x4 there is a white square border around the picture. I have checked the printer settings and don't see anything checked there. Also in formatting it is set to have no border?? Thanks! Have you considered .png? Are looking for the.eps. to have a transparent background? Are you importing into Corel as an Ecapsulated Postscript or Postscript Interpreted? Usually the latter will have a transparent backgroun...

CSV Import with Data Migration Manager
Hi Everyone, I am trying to migrate from goldmine 6.5 to Microsoft CRM 4.0 and I am having some trouble at the final hurdle. I have imported all company data as Accounts, then I import individual people as Contacts, but I leave the Company Name column in and map it to parent customer -> account name. This works to a degree, but for some reason will only accept 1 of each company, so if there are multiple contacts under one account then it takes the first one and rejects the rest. It looks like the relationship is stuck at 1-1 for the import, but I can then manually change it afterwards, s...

Exchange 5.5 System Free/Busy objects left in Exchange 2003 since Migration.
Hi I hope somebody can help with this. I migrated our old Exchange 5.5 Org to Exchange 2003 last year and followed all the MS KB's about doing this. Since then we have switched to Native Mode 2003 and working fine. However we found that our AD infrastructure wasn't at its best and are currently deploying a new Domain. Now this is where the fun starts. While creating a new Exchange 2003 Org in the new Domain, we are replicating the Public/System Folders from the old Org and we have been getting some errors. On investigation we have found that there are redundant Free/Busy Schedule+ obj...

DPM does not see new magazine added to library
I have DPM 2007 installed on Windows Server 2008 with a Quantum SuperLoader 3 attached via SCSI. When we purchased and setup the SuperLoader, it only had the left-side magazine of 8 tapes. Today, I added the right-side magazine, increasing capacity to 16 tapes. The web GUI for the SuperLoader sees the new magazine and its working fine, but DPM does not detect it. I have rescanned the library, and ran a fast inventory. What else can I do? ...

Account Names not showing when adding new user
Hi, I created a SharePoint site off of a 2007 Project Server install and when adding users to access the SharePoint site, directory services only returns admin users of the SharePoint/Project Server? How do I get AD to return all the users in the domain? Thanks! Steve Steve: What do you mean when you say "I created a SharePoint site off of a 2007 Project Server install?" Your description lacks a few details. "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EAA4C48D-9D6A-44C7-84BF-787AE762561E@microsoft.com... > Hi, >...

Distribution List appears as empty in AD
Hi We are in the process of migrating users over from a 5.5 infrastructure to a new Windows/Exchange 2003 infrastructure. Everything appears to be fine, but we have had a few issues with some of our DL's, where even though we have a DL connection agreement to pull the items out of 5.5 and into the AD, some of them come accross with none of the members in them anymore. You can open the DL in AD, and when you go into members, no members are present. If you go back into 5.5, and open the DL there, the member list is present, and replicating now etc doesnt seem to bring them accross. ...

Data Migration Install
I keep getting an error installing the Migration Framework. I have done the following. 1) using same user as was when installing Server 2) user is a domain admin 3) user has a professional suite license 4) workflow services stopped Any suggestions? ...

Migration Wizard Fails at Groupwise Domain
I am attempting to transfer/convert user's mail boxes to Exchange from Groupwise. I have set up a migration server, running Windows Server 2003 Standard, and Exchange Enterprise 2003. I installed the Novell Client and the Groupwise software. I can access the Groupwise email from this migration server through the Groupwise Client. However, when following the prompts in the Migration Wizard, I get to Step 8 (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/e2k3InterOpMig/69c57b0f-3c0c-4133-a9e0-ef0d1b51b440.mspx?mfr=true) and when I click next the wizard freezes for a m...

adding new users
This is a new box running server 2008. There's a share off the root called *Users*. It is not hidden. In the user's AD Properties > Profile tab, I select Connect, the drive letter and enter: \\ServerName\users\%username%$ But I end up with a folder called userName$, instead of the folder being hidden. Even if I enter the actual username, instead of the username variable, I still get the name with a dollar sign appended to the end. How do I get this to work so that the home folder is hidden, and doesn't have the dollar sign? Thanks You should specify hi...

Adding segment descriptions after original account set-up
We are implementing the Forecaster product for Micorsoft Dynamics. During this process I have discovered that all the segments were not correctly labled and now the Expresslink is overwriting my lables in Forcaster. Does anyone know how to edit the account segment description after the accounts have been set up, possibly an edit through IM? Kathleen Brooke Corporate Controller Overland Solutions, Inc. I have done this several times using a Macro and mail merge. I don't know of any IM solution. Post back if you do not know how to use a macro with Word Mail Merge. "Kathle...

Adding late fees automatically
I work for a property management company and details of our rental properties are stored in Excel workbooks, one month to a worksheet. I have been asked to make the spreadsheets automatically change the value of the "Late fee" column to $60 on the 5th of each month if the rent has not been paid (ie if the following column is blank). I need to know if this is possible in Excel, and if so, how do I do it? =IF(AND(B2="",DAY(TODAY())=>5),60,0) assuming the rent is in B2 -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Nick Xylas" <...

Adding Field Data In A New Subform row
I'm using this in a Subform to add the Date in each Record Private Sub Form_BeforeInsert(Cancel As Integer) BDate = Forms!frmMain!TheDate End Sub If my just entered Record has...11/18/07....1..2...Blue, ....when I enter a new Record in the Subform, how can I get the...1...2...Blue (above)to populate in the new Record? TIA - Bob On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 17:58:00 -0800, Bob Barnes <BobBarnes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: If I understand you correctly, this article about setting the DefaultValue of a control based on the current value might apply: http://www.mvps.org/access/forms/f...

Adding a leading zero "0" to a number in a cell
I am trying to create a formula that will add a leading zerto to any number that comes in with less than 5 digits. This is for a spreadsheet that will carry over zip codes for a mailing. I want to know if I can write a formula and if so, what it is that if a column of numbers just has 234 that the formula will automatically add the two zeros making it 00234. Or if it is 2345 it will convert it to 02345. Also - will the leading zeros (for lack of a better term) be hard coded so that when you extor to a csv or another format, the zeros will remain. Thanks -- Chip supposi...

Data Migration Framework Error
Hi All, Im having trouble importing email activites into MS CRM. When running the migration tool , Im getting the following error in the logs for every email I've set up as an activity. I've checked the guids for the owninguser and the objectid (contact), and they all exist. Im not creating any associated records in the cdf_ActivityParty table, as I only want to store the link for the "regarding" item so to speak. Thoughts anyone? Regards, Cameron 21/10/2004 - 8:43:18 AM -- [ERROR] Failed to migrate object: crmActivityUnknownError 21/10/2004 - 8:43:18 AM -- <a...

Adding zero's to a group of cells
Hello, I need to figure out a way to convert a group of cells from three digits to six. Essentially I want to take the numbers in the cells and multiply them by 1000. I do not however want to go into each cell and add the formula. I am creating a macro and this is the last piece of this. Essentially I am looking for an easy out. hi, how is this group of cell layed out? column? row? block? FSt1 "Desiree" wrote: > Hello, I need to figure out a way to convert a group of cells from three > digits to six. Essentially I want to take the numbers in the cells and > ...

Adding Categories in GL
I am trying to add additional categories for my chart of accounts. I do not see where I can add. Looks like only an inquiry. Is there something in the setup that I need to do in order the system to allow me to add. I know that I cannot delete. Thanks In Tools > Setup > Financial > Category you can either rename an existing category, or add your own at the end (it will number new ones with a *). -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions, Inc. "Louis" <Louis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:407A65CC-ECD8-4ADC-9694-6B5BEFAD216B@micr...

Adding element to xml with existing namespace ?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C88530.27EFA3C0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have a generated xml (dbml) document that I have to add new elements = to.. here's an amended snippet.. <?xml version=3D"1.0" encoding=3D"utf-8"?> <Database Name=3D"mydb" EntityNamespace=3D"MyEntity" = ContextNamespace=3D"MyEntity" Class=3D"MyClass" = xmlns=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/linqtosql/dbml/2007"> <...

Adding text onto a Graph
I want to add a note on the bottom of some graphs to indicate who they were produced by. Have tried adding a text box, but this disappears when I select the graph for printing. Note: I have several graphs on one worksheet. Can someone please tell me how to do this. Thanks lots. Hi Gaye, The simplest way is to select the chart and the just type some text. A textbox will be created that is embedded inside the chart instead of just over it, like it would appear you currently have. To make the textboxes you have already created part of the chart select the textbox and prs CTRL+X now sele...

Adding date and time to cell programatically?
Hi all, i have been trying to check a cell that contains NOW() for a time and populate another cell based on an evaluation of a formula with a concatenation that looks like NOW(). I need to put a certain date AND a certain time in a cell but it can't be text as the cell is used by the network for PI tag data retrival, as you can see from the coe i have tried a number of things, the cell is custom formatted to dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm. Any ideas? VBA Code: -------------------- Sub Formula_Add() Dim eformula, d As Date, MyTime, MyTime1 Application.ScreenU...

Adding forwarding Rules in Exchange
Hi I am new to Exchange and am trying to find out how I can set up some forwarding rules to distribute emails received at our info@ mailbox. Any good "How to articles" would be appreciated. Thanks Paddy ...

Adding controls to a dialog dynamically
Hi, How do I add controls (CButton) to a dialog if these controls do not have ID's (not defined in the resource workshop)? Thnks, Muz Muz, You want to add members representing the controls to the parent class and call Create (in OnInitDialog for dialogs, OnCreate for others). Johan Rosengren Abstrakt Mekanik AB "Me" <zviman@jhu.edu> a �crit dans le message de news:cq6rjr$9ei$2@news.hcf.jhu.edu... > Hi, > > How do I add controls (CButton) to a dialog if these controls do not > have ID's (not defined in the resource workshop)? > > Thnks, > >...