Active Directory Project

I'm going to be working on an active directory project and would like some
advice of some good articles (links), resources to use or any helpful hints
someone can provide.

My company has one domain controller at the main branch.  At branch 2 we
would like a backup domain controller or a server to act as a backup global
catalog.

I also want the employee's roaming profiles who are working at branch 2 to
be pulled down from that server located at branch 2 and not the main branch.
This may be called replication?  A process to sync up the roaming profiles
between the two servers.

It would also be ideal to use it as a backup file server using a similar
process to the roaming profile question.

Sorry if that is quite a bit of information.  Thought someone could point me
to some good articles to get started with or give some advice.

The current domain controller is running on windows 2003 and also acts as
our file server.

Hello pete0085,

Adding an additional DC is a straight forward process, depending on the bandwith
between the sites you should maybe prepare it in the main office and then
ship it to the site.

2003:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738032(WS.10).aspx

2008:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733027(WS.10).aspx

For the roaming profiles as redundant option you can use DFS or DFS-R, depending
on the OS version in use. This allows you to have a domain share for example
and you can add folders from different servers to it so they are all syncronized.
Depending on the OS verison in use there was a major change for replication
after initial replication is done.

2003:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782417(WS.10).aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/storage/dfs/default.mspx

2008:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb539982(VS.85).aspx

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> I'm going to be working on an active directory project and would like
> some advice of some good articles (links), resources to use or any
> helpful hints someone can provide.
>
> My company has one domain controller at the main branch.  At branch 2
> we would like a backup domain controller or a server to act as a
> backup global catalog.
>
> I also want the employee's roaming profiles who are working at branch
> 2 to be pulled down from that server located at branch 2 and not the
> main branch.  This may be called replication?  A process to sync up
> the roaming profiles between the two servers.
>
> It would also be ideal to use it as a backup file server using a
> similar process to the roaming profile question.
>
> Sorry if that is quite a bit of information.  Thought someone could
> point me to some good articles to get started with or give some
> advice.
>
> The current domain controller is running on windows 2003 and also acts
> as our file server.

0
Meinolf
3/16/2010 9:35:53 PM
I know Meinolf has provided enough information and reference links...Here
are some more good reference materials

Active Directory Best practices
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc778219%28WS.10%29.aspx

Roaming User Profiles
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc736881(WS.10).aspx

--
Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA,
Network+

"pete0085" <pete0085@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm going to be working on an active directory project and would like some
> advice of some good articles (links), resources to use or any helpful
> hints
> someone can provide.
>
> My company has one domain controller at the main branch.  At branch 2 we
> would like a backup domain controller or a server to act as a backup
> global
> catalog.
>
> I also want the employee's roaming profiles who are working at branch 2 to
> be pulled down from that server located at branch 2 and not the main
> branch.
> This may be called replication?  A process to sync up the roaming profiles
> between the two servers.
>
> It would also be ideal to use it as a backup file server using a similar
> process to the roaming profile question.
>
> Sorry if that is quite a bit of information.  Thought someone could point
> me
> to some good articles to get started with or give some advice.
>
> The current domain controller is running on windows 2003 and also acts as
> our file server.

0
Santhosh
3/17/2010 12:11:36 AM
Thanks for all the help!  I will take a look at this and go from there.

If my DC is Server 2003, should I keep my BDC at server 2003 or would it be
ok to use Server 2008?

I would need to purchase  a new license for either OS, so it would help in
my planning.

"Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" wrote:

> Hello pete0085,
>
> Adding an additional DC is a straight forward process, depending on the bandwith
> between the sites you should maybe prepare it in the main office and then
> ship it to the site.
>
> 2003:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738032(WS.10).aspx
>
> 2008:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733027(WS.10).aspx
>
> For the roaming profiles as redundant option you can use DFS or DFS-R, depending
> on the OS version in use. This allows you to have a domain share for example
> and you can add folders from different servers to it so they are all syncronized.
> Depending on the OS verison in use there was a major change for replication
> after initial replication is done.
>
> 2003:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782417(WS.10).aspx
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/storage/dfs/default.mspx
>
> 2008:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb539982(VS.85).aspx
>
> Best regards
>
> Meinolf Weber
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
> no rights.
> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>

> > I'm going to be working on an active directory project and would like
> > some advice of some good articles (links), resources to use or any
> > helpful hints someone can provide.
> >
> > My company has one domain controller at the main branch.  At branch 2
> > we would like a backup domain controller or a server to act as a
> > backup global catalog.
> >
> > I also want the employee's roaming profiles who are working at branch
> > 2 to be pulled down from that server located at branch 2 and not the
> > main branch.  This may be called replication?  A process to sync up
> > the roaming profiles between the two servers.
> >
> > It would also be ideal to use it as a backup file server using a
> > similar process to the roaming profile question.
> >
> > Sorry if that is quite a bit of information.  Thought someone could
> > point me to some good articles to get started with or give some
> > advice.
> >
> > The current domain controller is running on windows 2003 and also acts
> > as our file server.
> >

> .

We have one 2008 server, but it is used as our virtual hyper-v server and is
not used for terminal services.  I was more concerned if the roaming profiles
folder would have a different path name in Server 2008 vs 2003 or if the DC
running 2008 would somehow think it's the primary and compatibility in
general.  I don't have much experience with Server 2008.  There are no Vista
or Windows 7 machines in the network and I understand those use a different
path to the users folder.

"Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" wrote:

> Hello pete0085,
>
> This depends on you, Windows server 2003 and Windows server 2008(R2) work
> together without any problem.
>
> If you use the Windows server 2008 for Terminal services(NOT on DCs) then
> you have to take into account that with Windows server 2008/WIndows Vista
> a new user profile structure is used, C:\users instead C:\documents and settings.
> If htis is needed there are still guides how to handle this.
>
> Best regards
>
> Meinolf Weber
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
> no rights.
> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>

> > Thanks for all the help!  I will take a look at this and go from
> > there.
> >
> > If my DC is Server 2003, should I keep my BDC at server 2003 or would
> > it be ok to use Server 2008?
> >
> > I would need to purchase  a new license for either OS, so it would
> > help in my planning.
> >
> > "Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello pete0085,
> >>
> >> Adding an additional DC is a straight forward process, depending on
> >> the bandwith between the sites you should maybe prepare it in the
> >> main office and then ship it to the site.
> >>
> >> 2003:
> >> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738032(WS.10).aspx
> >> 2008:
> >> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733027(WS.10).aspx
> >> For the roaming profiles as redundant option you can use DFS or
> >> DFS-R, depending on the OS version in use. This allows you to have a
> >> domain share for example and you can add folders from different
> >> servers to it so they are all syncronized. Depending on the OS
> >> verison in use there was a major change for replication after initial
> >> replication is done.
> >>
> >> 2003:
> >> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782417(WS.10).aspx
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/storage/dfs/d
> >> efault.mspx
> >>
> >> 2008:
> >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb539982(VS.85).aspx
> >> Best regards
> >>
> >> Meinolf Weber
> >> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> >> confers
> >> no rights.
> >> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> >> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm

> >> .
> >>

> .

Active Tasks in Outlook Today
Is there a way to only display active tasks in Outlook Today ...

Import directory data into Excel 2003
I have over 1000 media files that I would like to extract information from and put into an Excel spreadsheet. Using Explorer, I have defined the fields I would like to see, such as title, duration, comment etc. Now, I need to import this data into Excel. So far, I've not been able to find a way to do this. Can someone offer some suggestions please? Thanks, Nigel -- www.myoldcontacts.com - Tell your friends to tell their friends www.sysadmininc.com - Consultancy, Service, Sales, Networking... www.british-expats.com - Connect with British Expats World Wide www.kxez.com/shows_britishinv...

Internal e-mail activities are adding up
As people begin to use CRM and send internal e-mails regarding a particular entity we are seeing a HUGE number of activities adding up. It would be nice in the future if all internal e-mails regarding the entity would be summed up into one activity. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I ...

Recurring Service Activities / Items -- CRM 3.0 -- No capability?!
What's the rationale behind *not* having the ability to schedule recurring activities and service items? Have I missed something in workflows or some such? Thanks, ....dgg On May 25, 3:16 pm, David G <David G...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > What's the rationale behind *not* having the ability to schedule recurring > activities and service items? > > Have I missed something in workflows or some such? > > Thanks, > > ...dgg Hi David, Has anyone responded to your question? We are having the same issue and I'm hoping there is a solution avail...

Notified Office is Not Activated, but it is Activated
When my boss opens any of his Office 2007 products it notifies him that his copy of office is not activated. It has been activated and when I check it through Options it shows that it is activated, but the dialogue pops up each time the programs are opened. I have used the FixIt from KB 919895 to delete the Opa12.dat file which fixed a communications error in activatation, but the product still doesn't think it is properly activated when it is. ...

Activity views 09-26-05
Folks When viewing the activities on an account or quote, there appears to be no obvious way to include the date of the activity in the view so it is difficult to determine when the activity was done - resulting in us having to open each and every activity to find the relevant one - and this is time consuming. Any ideas? Regards Gavin The current release of Microsoft CRM does not allow you to customize the activity views at least in a supported fashion. If you scan the archives of this group at groups.google.com for activity view you will find some unsupported methods. Microsoft CR...

project calendar
I am looking for a template to create a master calendar to track client project work on an annual basis including the project name, who is involved, what has to be done and status. ...

Set Default View to Active Accounts
How do I set the default view to be Active Accounts for all users? I thought I had set it by going to Settings>Customizations>Customize Entities>Account>Forms&Views>Active Accounts>More Actions>Set Default. I logged out and logged back in and the default view was still set to My Active Accounts. Please Help. -- TC I hope you published the entity after making the change. Try an iisreset... Sam _______________ Inogic Innovative Logic Innovative solutions for your SME ERP/CRM products E-mail: crm@inogic.com Web: www.inogic.com -------------------------- &qu...

Email to Activity in queue
Hi, I have created a queue and I don't get any email activity from incoming mail. I have this configuration: - CRM Server: CRM 3 (CRMSERVER) - SQL Server: SQL 2000 sp4 (SQLSERVER) - Exchange Server: Exchange 2003 sp2 Cluster environment (EXCCLU1, EXCCLU2). I have installed the CRM-Email Router in both nodes (http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/crm/using/deploy/clusteringexchangeservers.mspx) And I have created the queue in two steps: - Step 1: AD Account with Exchange Mailbox o SELF Allow “Associated external account” o CRMEmailEnabled (Custom Attribute...

The value become wrong when get value by using AppleScript while other worksheet is active.
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I just want to send a bug report. Summary: The value become wrong when get value by using AppleScript while other worksheet is active. Description: 1. Create an AppleScript file with below script. tell application "Microsoft Excel" activate set OriginalWorkbook to workbook "Workbook1" set OriginalData to string value of column 1 of row 1 of worksheet 1 of OriginalWorkbook end tell 2. Launch Excel 2008 and create a Workbook called "Workbook1". 3. Enter time data "11...

activate, window activate?
Hi, I want code to fire when I deactive excel and select another program and then run again when I active excel again... Private Sub Workbook_SheetDeactivate(ByVal Sh As Object) Range("v3").Font.ThemeColor = xlAutomatic End Sub Tried several, what am I missing? Try this. Hope this helps! If so, let me know, click "YES" below. Private Sub Workbook_WindowDeactivate(ByVal Wn As Excel.Window) Range("V3").Font.ThemeColor = xlAutomatic End Sub -- Cheers, Ryan "John" wrote: > Hi, I want code to fire when I deactive excel an...

How to merge 2 project Workspaces?
Hello, I know we can create 2 Workspaces while publishing 2 projets (Project Server 2007) and select "Provision the workspace as a subworspace of another projet", so that the 2nd workspace is "under" the first one. But I want that the 2 projects use the same and unique Workspace. Is it possible and how to do that? Thanks for your help. You can (to my surprise), and it needs to be edited via Project Server Workspaces. However, when you publish each project the permissions will be synched to match the users on the project. So you have two choices 1), m...

Resolution Activities
I am trying to pull resolution activities and whether they are won or lost? Which field stores this information? The Opportunity has a 'state' and 'staus reason' field - you should find that the State field is what you are looking for the 'status reason' is the 'why' (i.e why you won/lost). Guy. "EricaUW" <EricaUW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:74837B1C-40CE-40C5-95A0-DE6D771C9C6E@microsoft.com... >I am trying to pull resolution activities and whether they are won or lost? > Which field stores this information? ...

Changing default from printing Entire Workbook to Active Sheets
In Excel 2007, is there a place to select the data to print? I have a user that when she goes to print a document, the 'print what' section of the print box defaults to 'entire workbook.' She wants it to default to 'active sheets.' Is there a setting in Excel or the Registry that I can edit? Thanks, John ...

Quick Campaign creating duplicate activities
When I run a quick campaign for either a contact list or an account list, I get 2 activities per contact or account. It does it for any activity type (e-mail, letter, etc) Has anyone seen this? Does anyone know how (or even where to start) to fix this? If I create a quick campaign for 5 contacts, I would like only 5 activities to be created. Thanks Seems like some how your deployment has duplicate workflow process definition for bulk operation. This definition is created during setup. I dont know how your system might have got into that state. Did you run installation or repair ...

Determine cluster mode Active/Active or Active/Passive??
This is a simple question but I'm new to Exchange 2003 clustering. We have 2-node Exc 2003 Ent cluster here at my new job. I need to apply the Daylight Savings patches this weekend and making sure I've got the process down. What I noticed in Cluster Admin is that I have online groups/resources in each cluster. So I have excluster1 and excluster2. If I check Active Groups for each one, they both have both and both are online. Same deal with Active Resources. So does this mean I have an Active/Active setup? Thanks for any info Active/Active = 2 cluster nodes, both hosting 1 Excha...

Workflow multiplicate activities
I have created 4 workflows for one entity. Each of them starts when the value of custom picklist has been changed. Each of the workflows has stop line at the end. Unfortunatelly for some picklist options there are 4-5 times more created duplicate activities. Is there somebody, who can tell me what is the reason for that ? Best regards, Omega ...

BP Project Time and and Expense should have a settings page.
Currently in Project Time and Expense, the administrator must use SQL to manipulate PTE settings. A quick look at the PTE admin guide shows the following settings are controlled by manually altering the PmaTimesheetConfig or PmaExpenseConfig tables: 1. Displaying Department, Position, or Pay Code fields in the Task Detail dialog 2. Configuring whether to display a confirmation message when users delete line items on timesheets or expense reports 3. Enabling action notes so users can provide additional information on timesheets or expense reports It seems like we should have a...

Cannot open include file: 'stdafx.h': No such file or directory
Hi! I have read the old post but it doesnt helpful so please help me to solve the following problem. Error 25 fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'stdafx.h': No such file or directory d:\Projects\DRM\DRMClientEx\HttpManager.cpp 6 Error 12 fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'stdafx.h': No such file or directory d:\Projects\DRM\DRMClientEx\RegistryManager.cpp 2 I have created one project DRMClient project.(original) Now second time I have create the copy of the project in the same solution.(DRMClientEx- working copy).After all the setting in project prope...

Mail-merge set as default to create activities?
Hello, After a mail-merge is complete and it asks if you want to create activities for these records, does anyone know if you can get it to default to yes rather then no. My client would like to try and stop people from forgetting to clieck yes! Thanks, Katherine If you have an onpremise deployment then you can go and update the <wwwroot>\tools\mailmerge\trackactivities.aspx page and move the checked option from radio button "radNoTrack" to "radTrack". "K" wrote: > Hello, > > After a mail-merge is complete and it asks if you want to cre...

How can I close multiple activities at once
From a customer I got the question: is it possible to close multiple activities (f.i. 300 phonecall created by a Quick Campaign) at once? They DON'T want to delete them! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Com...

If enable timesheets, will project tasks auto-appear?
We are moving to enable timesheet functionality in EPMS 2007. Will existing project tasks auto-appear on the Team Member's timesheet or do we need to republish the project plans? Will they continue to appear on the My Tasks page? -- Carla Evans Presbyterian Health Plan Carla: When using the Timesheet functionality, each resource generates a timesheet for each period when it's time to report their time. When they generate the timesheet, the timesheet will automatically pickup their current tasks. (Note, there are options for generating timesheets with just project...

Activate an active workbook with name x
First I do a save as.. for a workbook and get the name via a input box (lets say the name gets queried by 'fname'. How do I later move back to that specific workbook? Something I needed would look like: ActiveWorkbook -with the name of 'fname'.Activate tx Gmick, I think fname is a variable in your program. If so, Workbooks(fname).Activate -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Gmick" <gnick@chello.nl> wrote in message news:R6LRc.58621$i7.23416@amsnews05.chello.com... > First I do a sav...

Optimization project
Dear all, I am a novice to the solver function and would be very appreciative if someone would be able to offer me a solution utilizing solver. I need to find what is the optimal product mix of the following computer items given their respective prices, per unit: P3 450 $27.00 P3 500 $30.00 P3 533 $31.98 P3 550 $33.00 P3 600 $36.00 P3 650 $39.00 P3 667 $40.02 P3 700 $52.50 P3 733 $54.98 P3 850 $63.75 P3 866 $64.95 P3 933 $69.98 P3 1000 $75.00 P4 1.8 GHZ $410.00 P4 1.8 GHZ $420.00 P4-M 1.6 GHZ $425.00 P4 1.8 GHZ $425.00 P4/DVD 1.8 GHZ $430.00 P4/DVD 1.8 ...

Attributes on Associated Activity View
Is it possible to add new attributes on the Activity- Open Acitivity associated view. When I go there, there is no button to create new, and all other attributes are read-only. Thanks. Hi Max, You cannot add new attributes on the Activity. However, you can add it to the individual activities like Email, Task etc. For that you have to launch the individual entity and add it there. Thanks! Manoj -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Max" <Max @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47840A7E-779F-4AC1-B0AC...