Powershell 2 Install SBS 2008

I have a small office running SBS2008 on a Dell 610 Server, 64bit. I am the
owner and sysadmin, though a novice, not an IT guru. My problem is that WSUS
installed Powershell 2.0 and then proceeded to crash after taking well over
an hour and a half to install.
It was taking a long time to install so I decided to head to lunch and just
let it run by itself. After I got back an hour later, (90 min of installing
so far) it re-booted, with the onscreen message to not turn off the computer,
it took another hour or so, and appeared to be hung up. I thought it had
permanently damaged the OS I decided to manually restart the Server with a
hard boot. It then uninstalled but took another hour or so to do so, and at
one point I thought it wouldn't boot into the OS.

Now I get a constant error message alert that it isn't installed. What went
wrong? How do I go about installing Powershell 2.0 correctly. I don't want
the associated problems I had before, downtime, fear that the entire system
would be corrupted, etc.

Are there certain updates it should have before it installs Powershell? I
highly doubt that I will be using Powershell, we're a small office, so unless
it's needed by other MS software etc., I can get along without it. If I don't
need this, how do i get rid of the alert messages? Any assistance would be
greatly appreciated.

I would recommend you go ask this in a SBS forum since you're concerned with
stability.

Depending on whether you have SQL 2008 installed or not, you are going to
need PowerShell if you do.

Marco

"Jeff B" <JeffB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a small office running SBS2008 on a Dell 610 Server, 64bit. I am
> the
> owner and sysadmin, though a novice, not an IT guru. My problem is that
> WSUS
> installed Powershell 2.0 and then proceeded to crash after taking well
> over
> an hour and a half to install.
> It was taking a long time to install so I decided to head to lunch and
> just
> let it run by itself. After I got back an hour later, (90 min of
> installing
> so far) it re-booted, with the onscreen message to not turn off the
> computer,
> it took another hour or so, and appeared to be hung up. I thought it had
> permanently damaged the OS I decided to manually restart the Server with a
> hard boot. It then uninstalled but took another hour or so to do so, and
> at
> one point I thought it wouldn't boot into the OS.
>
> Now I get a constant error message alert that it isn't installed. What
> went
> wrong? How do I go about installing Powershell 2.0 correctly. I don't want
> the associated problems I had before, downtime, fear that the entire
> system
> would be corrupted, etc.
>
> Are there certain updates it should have before it installs Powershell? I
> highly doubt that I will be using Powershell, we're a small office, so
> unless
> it's needed by other MS software etc., I can get along without it. If I
> don't
> need this, how do i get rid of the alert messages? Any assistance would be
> greatly appreciated.

0
Marco

Ink #2
Sorry guys. The spam stuff was not my intent. I do oppoligies and won't happen again. I have never been on newsgroups before and not sure how to work them. I hope you guys can forgive a bad choice. Murphey What spam? Did you think we "saw" it? Sorry :-) The first one of us to see a spam item sends it off to the spambuster, and seconds after that, it disappears from wherever you sent it, long before anyone else gets annoyed by it :-) Cheers On 20/3/06 11:27 PM, in article ocxTf.4283$tT.1488@news01.roc.ny, "mshawjr@frontiernet.net" <mshawjr@frontiernet.net&g...

restoring mailbox #2
Hi, By accident, I restored a user mailbox from 1 day old backup back to exchange. I have "Skip if existing files more recent" selected. Did not select "Preserve security" though. I would think the only thing this user should notice is, if anything is deleted, he may see that it is back Would there be anything else I should worry about, like security issue, corruption etc? Big Ooops! MC It acctually caused all e-mail being duplicated. Now anyone have idea how I can clean it up? MC "CAMC1" <webmaster@ozoptics.com> wrote in message news:OGIVn9PrGHA.1852@...

refund check #2
I have multiple customers requesting that the Refund Checks module be able to create Manual Payment batches in Payables Management. Right now Refund Checks only creates Computer Check batches. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/B...

Autoshapes #2
I want to create custom autoshapes from CAD format files. Can this be acheived? Thanks plfisher@NOSPAMbellsouth.net ...

Powershell
Is Powershell necessary for Windows XP to run? I have a basic idea of what it is but is it needed? Boceefus wrote: > Is Powershell necessary for Windows XP to run? I have a basic idea of what > it is but is it needed? No, its not needed, most folks don't have it on their computers, let alone know what it is. John I am using it in my SQL 2008 Express. In fact SQL 2008 won't install unless you have powershell on your system. hth "Boceefus" <Boceefus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7D03AAB2-FFB6-4251-A21C-1B6D7BE68A93@mi...

powershell event
Hi, I am evaluating an architecture using my custom Powershell cmdlets as the middle tier (MT) and using a Native NT service as the backend. Via my powershell cmdlets, UI can query/control the backend and the backend should be able to send notification to UI (UI doesn’t use Polling model for receiving notification). The middle tier will communicate with the backend using COM since they are different language interop. The middle tier will communicate with UI through powershell cmdlets. Therefore, the middle tier will be a Powershell cmdlets dll and an interop assembly at the s...

Comcast to Outlook 2007 #2
Has anyone had any success at importing their address book from Comcast to 2007. If so, how did you do it? Please reply to lfriz@msn.com have you looked at the Comcast help files? They have rather extensive files to assist you with many mail related tasks. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, Lfriz asked: | Has anyone had any success at importing their address book from | Comcast to 2007. If so, how d...

filtering #2
would like to filter emails before they get sent to the user. running Exchange 5.5. like it to check who it is from and be able to move those emails to another user to review. ...

2/4 rounded corners?
I wan to create boxes (both text and image) that have the top right and bottom left corners rounded; retaining sharp corners on the top left and bottom right. Can this be done in Publisher? Autoshapes, create a rounded box, copy/paste special as a .wmf. Select the image, Arrange, ungroup, yes, ungroup again, edit points, hold down control, delete the corner points, adjust your lines. You cannot do this with a text box, but you can use your new creation as a border for a text box. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com &q...

bank downloads #2
Bank downloads in my bank register appear as something totally different when it comes time to accept the entry. Is there a setting I need to fix or is Money just acting up? Michael On 2005-01-25, mpmorin <mpmorin@verizon.net> wrote: > Bank downloads in my bank register appear as something totally different > when it comes time to accept the entry. Is there a setting I need to fix or > is Money just acting up? What do they look like and what are you expecting them to look like? Also, what version are you using? If you're talking about the Payee name or the memo ...

drop down list #2
Does anyone know how to change the font in a "form" "drop down list" The font for the combo box (dropdown) from the Forms toolbar can't be changed. An alternative would be to use the combo box from the Control Toolbox. Its font properties can be changed. jrh wrote: > Does anyone know how to change the font in a "form" "drop > down list" -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

2 way Vlookup
Hi, I have base data in column A, B, C and D extending from row 2 to row 500. The data in coln A and B together constitute an unique ID. I also have data in Column G and H and these 2 together correspond to the I formed from Column A and B. I want a formula which can return the value from Column D for a particulr ID combination in Column G plus H. Ideally I would concatenate the data in A and B ( = A2&B2) and use this ID for lookup with the concatenated data from G and H (=g2&h2). BUT, in this case due to the naure of the data layout (and some other factors) I cannot afford to creat...

pipelines supported by PowerShell cmdlets
From: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd315282.aspx <# Description The Write-Output cmdlet sends the specified object down the pipeline to the next command. If the command is the last command in the pipeline, the object is displayed in the console. Write-Output sends objects down the primary pipeline, also known as the"output stream" or the "success pipeline." To send error objects down the error pipeline, use Write-Error." #> This mentions two pipelines supported by PowerShell cmdlets 1) primary pipeline, aka "...

Querying 2 databases with one query string
I can use the following code to create a conection string: sConnect = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;" & _ "Data Source=Ben;" & _ "Initial Catalog=Northwind;" & _ "Integrated Security=SSPI" ...then execute a SQL statement to return the query results to my workbook. Is it possible though, to store the results of a query that joins 2 tables contaned in separate SQL databases? Thanks Ben ...

Filter Mode #2
Hi I have been sent a large spreadsheet. The problem is that when I fillter the data instead of the number of rows which have been filltered out being displayed on the left hand side of the status bar the words "filter mode" appear. How do I get rid of the "filter mode" so that status bar shows the number of records filtered? Elaine ...

Change 2 names in one cell to one name in 2 cells
Is there a way that if there are two names in one cell (a1), i.e.; Johnson--Jackson, that they can be changed to be listed in two different cells, such as, Johnson in cell b1 and Jackson in cell b2. I have a very long list of names and I do not want to go through the list and type every thing in again. Thanks for any assistance you can give me. WAB Use the Data/Text to Columns wizard. In article <1119050807.036631.231330@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, "wab" <noway667@att.net> wrote: > Is there a way that if there are two names in one cell (a1), i.e.; > Johnson-...

Excel #2
College text asks students how to save a file with a preview? I assume a print preview? Any suggestions? Choose File>Properties On the Summary tab, check 'Save preview picture. Click OK Tech Coor wrote: > College text asks students how to save a file with a preview? I assume a print preview? Any suggestions? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

VBScript & Powershell
I have a 500 line vbscript I wrote years ago that now won't work on Windows 7. The reason is you can't perform a File Open/Browse in vbscript in Windows 7, I(I've tried all the suggestions I've found on the net but none of them work.) I was looking at running a Powershell mini script to do the file open for me then return the selected file back to the vbs script. I've got the Powershell script and it works fine. One twist. I don't want to call another script. I want to send all the Powershell commands at once. The problem I'm seeing is Powershell is ...

SendMessage(); Getting the handle of other aps #2
I thought I posted this earlier.. but didn't appear? Anyway, I have a dialog based app which is called from the command line. If the app is already present, i want the arguments from the command line call to be passed to the original app. In InitInstance I have: hMutexOneInstance = ::CreateMutex( NULL, FALSE, _T("Global\\MYAPP")); BOOL AlreadyRunning = ( ::GetLastError() == ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS || ::GetLastError() == ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED); So if(AlreadyRunning), now I want to pass the arguments to the MYAPP which is already running. ::SendMessage(hOriginal, UWM_SOME_MESSAGE, ...

Symbols (Icons) in the Sent Folder in Outlook #2
This may be a very simple-minded question, but I can’t seem to find reference to it anywhere. 1. There is a symbol in the Sent folder, in the “Sort by: Icon” column that looks like an opened envelope with a blue “I” in a circle. What does this icon mean? It seems to appear for some, but not all, mail I’ve sent to people within my organization (on the Outlook system and in the mailbox. In fact, sometimes it will appear for the same person at some times, but not at others. It never appears for people outside of our network. I also noticed that when it appears, the message includes a...

implementing and managing microsoft exchange server 2003 and administering microsoft server 2.0
Does anyone has this 2 courses digital or has a online link to donwload this course. 1. implementing and managing microsoft exchange server 2003 2. administering microsoft system managment server 2.0 thanks ...

From new Publisher to old #2
Hi. I have constructed a document in Publisher XP, and I am now sitting at a computer with Publisher 2000. And I need the document now. Is there anyway that I online can convert the document. I realise I should have converted at the computer with the newer Publisher, and I though I did - but I must have forgotten. Is there any way I can get around my stupid mistake, or will I HAVE to pay? I will convert it for you. Send it to gsauer at columbus dot rr dot com It is very possible you will lose formatting and if images are involved, the file may increase quite a bit. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MV...

Status.htm #2
Hello, I have been trying to learn how to change the Status.htm and have some luck but not enough. I was able to change the default status.htm display fields but can't figure out how to change the labels. Here is what I have before I made changes to the status.htm. This applies to when I pull up a Customer in RMS. The heading for line one is "Member Group" (Custom Caption 1) The heading for line one is "Member Status" (Custom Caption 2) and so on for the next 2 lines. I changed the data fields to show "First Name" on line one but the heading still show...

How to create and delete recovery points for DPM via PowerShell
Knowing how to manipulate DPM by way of PowerShell can come in handy in many situations. For example, I had a case to where I was troubleshooting the DPM console that was crashing and there was a concern as to whether or not recovery points where being made for specific protection groups. Using the PowerShell command we could not only verify this, but we could create a recovery point to any protection group we wished. Another example would be if you wanted to delete some recovery points to reclaim some disk space. Recovery points cannot be deleted by the GUI so you have to use P...

WEB Site #2
Someone did a web site for me and I do not have a copy of it in Publisher. How can I make changes to the site. Without Publisher, you can't. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Shorty" <Shorty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15819360-EE1A-4F32-ABD1-9515D55DACFA@microsoft.com... > Someone did a web site for me and I do not have a copy of it in Publisher. > How can I make changes to the site. You can't. Since Publisher is not an html editor, you need the original ...